Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Flight Specific Dragon Jobs?
1 2 3
I have a handful of dragons that don't have any jobs which is a big no-no in my clan. I've got all the basics down, so now I want to add some unique ones. What kind of jobs would Light dragons have? Wind? Water? I know there's a guide with a list of dragon titles, but I want specifics here, so I can get a broader view. So, share with me!
I have a handful of dragons that don't have any jobs which is a big no-no in my clan. I've got all the basics down, so now I want to add some unique ones. What kind of jobs would Light dragons have? Wind? Water? I know there's a guide with a list of dragon titles, but I want specifics here, so I can get a broader view. So, share with me!
I know lots of people like to give their dragons incredibly important roles, but I've always found the more mundane jobs to be the most fun in writing lore for! Here's a couple I can think of, some even ones my own dragons have ^_^

Wind: kite dancing/battling/repair, bamboo gardener, weather patrol, cloud artist, travelling bard, cartographer, windmill worker, musician/singer, windchime craftsman

Water: shell farmer, coral reef gardener, lifeguard, fishkeeper, oceanographer, prophecy seeker, swim instructor, sand artist

If I think of any more I'll be sure to add them!
I know lots of people like to give their dragons incredibly important roles, but I've always found the more mundane jobs to be the most fun in writing lore for! Here's a couple I can think of, some even ones my own dragons have ^_^

Wind: kite dancing/battling/repair, bamboo gardener, weather patrol, cloud artist, travelling bard, cartographer, windmill worker, musician/singer, windchime craftsman

Water: shell farmer, coral reef gardener, lifeguard, fishkeeper, oceanographer, prophecy seeker, swim instructor, sand artist

If I think of any more I'll be sure to add them!
Xe31U.gifA5z4M.gifHkchr.gifCtqXe.gif
@excessnight I think that most kinds of work could be found in any flight, but here's a few ideas which I think are flight-themed or suited to one element. Some spring from the obvious flight stereotypes, of course, but I tried to include a bit of variety as well as what the official lore states. I'm not really great at this kind of thing, but maybe it'll help. [u]Earth[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/1.png[/img] World map says: [b]monument builder[/b]. Could also be: Historian, miner, architect, jeweler, geologist, prospector, tomb raider. Other ideas: Genealogist. Ghostbuster/slayer of the undead. The real creepy things aren't in Shadow, they're lurking right there in Earth, in the Cairnstone Rest. Earth as a flight particularly cares about preserving and understanding history, and is known for its valuable rocks and minerals. They also seem to have a connection and awareness of life and death, which goes along with the importance they place on history and family. --------------- [u]Fire[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/11.png[/img] World map says: [b]metalworker[/b]. Could also be: Anything else relating to smithing, forging, or metalworking. Firebreather. Fire... fighter? Other ideas: Steam power researcher. Farmer. Volcanic soil is supposed to be rich for growing, right? In my opinion, Fire is the most one-note flight according to official lore, but that doesn't mean you can't get creative. (As for me, I struggle with it). Their BotE lore focuses on a group of blacksmiths, and their festival apparel's focused on it too, but think beyond the obvious and you can probably come up with some unique stuff that official FR lore hasn't touched upon. ---------- [u]Wind[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/3.png[/img] World map says:[b] explorer[/b]. Could also be: Artist (sculptor, painter, musician, dancer) cartographer, courier, tinkerer. Other ideas: I have one wind dragon who creates kites, wings, and balloons, often for dragons who can't fly by typical means. Farmer (I think terraced farming exists in the Windswept Plateau). Also... corgi breeder? Wind's two main themes seem to be exploration and the arts. Any creative job or a job involving travel would be a natural fit. ----------- [u]Water[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/4.png[/img] World map says: [b]oracle[/b]. Could also be: Fisher, diver (for treasure or otherwise) aquaculturist, pirate. Other ideas: Any job where being able to breathe underwater/hold one's breath for a long time would be a benefit. [s]water flight? what's that[/s] --------------- [u]Shadow[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/7.png[/img] World map says: [b]trickster[/b]. Could also be: witch, thief, gambler, jester, fortune teller. Other ideas: Mushroom farmer (fungiculturist). Chess grandmaster (are there chess tournaments in Sornieth?) Faerie lantern seller (it's probably illegal to bottle and sell faeries, but hey, a dragon's gotta make money.) Also, is "spooky ghost" a profession? Shadow's lore focuses on tricks and games, but surely there's dragons who make more "serious" use of their time. -------- [u]Ice[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/6.png[/img] World map says: [b]collector[/b]. Could also be: Climber or mountain climbing guide, jailer, prisoner. Other ideas: Researcher of cryogenically preserved specimens. Ice's lore is actually pretty dark, with frozen prisons and the monstrous things contained within. I don't think the Icewarden solely employs Gaolers (seen in BotE lore) for everything going on in the Fortress of the Ends, so dragons may also find jobs there. --------- [u]Lightning[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/5.png[/img] World map says: [b]engineer[/b]. Could also be: Lightning farmer, scrap metal scrounger, desert guide, repairdragon, Tempest Spire intern, golem creator Other ideas: Moisture farmer (it's dry in the desert!) Lightning's my flight, but my lore's not distinctively Lightning themed. I feel bad about neglecting them, but there's still plenty of interesting opportunities to explore. It may not be my aesthetic, but it's kind of neat how advanced they seem compared to the other flights. ------------ [u]Light[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/8.png[/img] World map says:[b] philosopher[/b]. Could also be: scholar, teacher, historian, librarian, bookseller, writer, priest or other "dragon of the cloth," archaeologist, or some combination of those. Other ideas: Marble sculptor. Walking lighthouse (especially for those dragons blessed with Primal eyes!) Treasure hunter (for those not afraid of the perils of the Hewn City) Light dragons are nerds who like sniffing the pages of old books. 'Nuff said. ---------- [u]Nature[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/10.png[/img] World map says: [b]druid[/b]. Could also be: Botanist, florist, herbalist, animal tamer or farmer. Other ideas: Beekeeper. Architect (I imagine it's a bit different to build your home out of living wood...) Sure, Nature dragons like plants, but that doesn't mean they all have to be tree-hugging hippies. ---------- [u]Plague[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/2.png[/img] World map says: [b]survivor[/b]. Could also be: berserker, mercenary, doctor, surgeon, pilgrim. Other ideas: Bone carver, living biological weapon. Wasteland guide. An expert in infectious diseases or mutations (not preventing, but rather encouraging them). Any job where adaptability would be an asset. Plague farming would certainly be a different game compared to farming in other flights as well, since the crops are so mutated. Plague's not the "evil flight," of course. They're more about surviving, changing, and growing stronger. That doesn't necessarily involve cruelty. Plague dragons can have jobs that let them focus on helping others. [s]let your plague dragon run a charity[/s] -------------- [u]Arcane[/u] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/ticker/9.png[/img] World map says: [b]dreamer[/b]. Could also be: Researcher, mage, enchanter, astronomer, astrologist, crystal miner. Other ideas: Lensmaker (obviously they're needed for telescopes, but think about those dragons who need glasses, too!) Also, in my lore, there's a profession called Runewaking: unlocking the unique magical potential of another dragon in the form of runic markings. It's an explanation for the Runes gene change scroll and is especially linked to Arcane dragons. Arcane's the most purely magical flight, but it's improbable that it's entirely a society of sorcerers. Of course there's dragons who are less magically-inclined, prefer to do more physically-demanding work, or use a mix of both in their jobs, such as the crystal miners who, in lore, "mine the peaks and use their fledgling magic to send large plinths of crystal to their patron." Whew, that was a long post for me. Hope it gives you some ideas! c:
@excessnight

I think that most kinds of work could be found in any flight, but here's a few ideas which I think are flight-themed or suited to one element. Some spring from the obvious flight stereotypes, of course, but I tried to include a bit of variety as well as what the official lore states. I'm not really great at this kind of thing, but maybe it'll help.

Earth 1.png

World map says: monument builder.
Could also be: Historian, miner, architect, jeweler, geologist, prospector, tomb raider.
Other ideas: Genealogist. Ghostbuster/slayer of the undead. The real creepy things aren't in Shadow, they're lurking right there in Earth, in the Cairnstone Rest.

Earth as a flight particularly cares about preserving and understanding history, and is known for its valuable rocks and minerals. They also seem to have a connection and awareness of life and death, which goes along with the importance they place on history and family.

Fire 11.png
World map says: metalworker.
Could also be: Anything else relating to smithing, forging, or metalworking. Firebreather. Fire... fighter?
Other ideas: Steam power researcher. Farmer. Volcanic soil is supposed to be rich for growing, right?

In my opinion, Fire is the most one-note flight according to official lore, but that doesn't mean you can't get creative. (As for me, I struggle with it). Their BotE lore focuses on a group of blacksmiths, and their festival apparel's focused on it too, but think beyond the obvious and you can probably come up with some unique stuff that official FR lore hasn't touched upon.
Wind 3.png
World map says: explorer.
Could also be: Artist (sculptor, painter, musician, dancer) cartographer, courier, tinkerer.
Other ideas: I have one wind dragon who creates kites, wings, and balloons, often for dragons who can't fly by typical means. Farmer (I think terraced farming exists in the Windswept Plateau). Also... corgi breeder?

Wind's two main themes seem to be exploration and the arts. Any creative job or a job involving travel would be a natural fit.

Water 4.png
World map says: oracle.
Could also be: Fisher, diver (for treasure or otherwise) aquaculturist, pirate.
Other ideas: Any job where being able to breathe underwater/hold one's breath for a long time would be a benefit.

water flight? what's that

Shadow 7.png
World map says: trickster.
Could also be: witch, thief, gambler, jester, fortune teller.
Other ideas: Mushroom farmer (fungiculturist). Chess grandmaster (are there chess tournaments in Sornieth?) Faerie lantern seller (it's probably illegal to bottle and sell faeries, but hey, a dragon's gotta make money.) Also, is "spooky ghost" a profession?

Shadow's lore focuses on tricks and games, but surely there's dragons who make more "serious" use of their time.

Ice 6.png
World map says: collector.
Could also be: Climber or mountain climbing guide, jailer, prisoner.
Other ideas: Researcher of cryogenically preserved specimens.

Ice's lore is actually pretty dark, with frozen prisons and the monstrous things contained within. I don't think the Icewarden solely employs Gaolers (seen in BotE lore) for everything going on in the Fortress of the Ends, so dragons may also find jobs there.

Lightning 5.png
World map says: engineer.
Could also be: Lightning farmer, scrap metal scrounger, desert guide, repairdragon, Tempest Spire intern, golem creator
Other ideas: Moisture farmer (it's dry in the desert!)

Lightning's my flight, but my lore's not distinctively Lightning themed. I feel bad about neglecting them, but there's still plenty of interesting opportunities to explore. It may not be my aesthetic, but it's kind of neat how advanced they seem compared to the other flights.

Light 8.png
World map says: philosopher.
Could also be: scholar, teacher, historian, librarian, bookseller, writer, priest or other "dragon of the cloth," archaeologist, or some combination of those.
Other ideas: Marble sculptor. Walking lighthouse (especially for those dragons blessed with Primal eyes!) Treasure hunter (for those not afraid of the perils of the Hewn City)

Light dragons are nerds who like sniffing the pages of old books. 'Nuff said.

Nature 10.png
World map says: druid.
Could also be: Botanist, florist, herbalist, animal tamer or farmer.
Other ideas: Beekeeper. Architect (I imagine it's a bit different to build your home out of living wood...)

Sure, Nature dragons like plants, but that doesn't mean they all have to be tree-hugging hippies.

Plague 2.png
World map says: survivor.
Could also be: berserker, mercenary, doctor, surgeon, pilgrim.
Other ideas: Bone carver, living biological weapon. Wasteland guide. An expert in infectious diseases or mutations (not preventing, but rather encouraging them). Any job where adaptability would be an asset. Plague farming would certainly be a different game compared to farming in other flights as well, since the crops are so mutated.

Plague's not the "evil flight," of course. They're more about surviving, changing, and growing stronger. That doesn't necessarily involve cruelty. Plague dragons can have jobs that let them focus on helping others.

let your plague dragon run a charity
Arcane 9.png
World map says: dreamer.
Could also be: Researcher, mage, enchanter, astronomer, astrologist, crystal miner.
Other ideas: Lensmaker (obviously they're needed for telescopes, but think about those dragons who need glasses, too!) Also, in my lore, there's a profession called Runewaking: unlocking the unique magical potential of another dragon in the form of runic markings. It's an explanation for the Runes gene change scroll and is especially linked to Arcane dragons.

Arcane's the most purely magical flight, but it's improbable that it's entirely a society of sorcerers. Of course there's dragons who are less magically-inclined, prefer to do more physically-demanding work, or use a mix of both in their jobs, such as the crystal miners who, in lore, "mine the peaks and use their fledgling magic to send large plinths of crystal to their patron."

Whew, that was a long post for me. Hope it gives you some ideas! c:
8ZHLRVU.png

ELPHAEL
...he/they...
FR time + 3
I6jEjhp.png x OHvqVtK.png

TLcyt8d.png
@BashfulBat those ideas are really cute! now I can image one of my dragon pairs owning a Zen garden, making wind chimes, and teaching calligraphy classes.
@BashfulBat those ideas are really cute! now I can image one of my dragon pairs owning a Zen garden, making wind chimes, and teaching calligraphy classes.
@Aldia thanks for all the ideas! this will really help flesh out my clan lore
@Aldia thanks for all the ideas! this will really help flesh out my clan lore
If plague are survivors, perhaps one could be a doomsday prepper? Fixing the clan up to prepare for what they see as an inevitable upcoming apocalypse haha
If plague are survivors, perhaps one could be a doomsday prepper? Fixing the clan up to prepare for what they see as an inevitable upcoming apocalypse haha
tumblr_inline_n6kduh3u891qlye38.gif WNZCkzt.png tumblr_inline_n6kduh3u891qlye38.gif
^ A semi-literate Warriors RP ^
i like to bring where a dragon is from into their lore somehow. so sure, arcane dragons might have the greatest need for lenses, but they live in a forest full of magical pink rocks? where they getting their sand?

argument: fire and lightning dragons make the best lenses and glass there is. they have the heat and the sand and they share a border.

i like light dragons as assassins and illusionists, too. i know that's typically a shadow-aligned thing for people but consider: light dragons using glamours and bending light to create illusions, trapping folks in secret worlds, maybe that's really why the sunbeam ruin are so bright, or the hewn city so dark. and like? blind your assassination targets? literal flashbang grenades? warriors who can fight in the kind of light that blinds.

wind dragons make good bards and minstrals but also: they travel so they learn a lot about the places they go, see loads of stuff, learn the ways of other cultures, they make great ambassadors and librarians. they're the best merchants and messengers, sorneith's central post office is totally in the twisting crescendo.

water dragons as therapists. they're often oracles but also often not. some are just sensitive to others. they can work through trauma, make great physicians and hydrotherapy for older dragons with creaky bones or folks who've hurt themselves badly and need to recover their strength slowly.
i like to bring where a dragon is from into their lore somehow. so sure, arcane dragons might have the greatest need for lenses, but they live in a forest full of magical pink rocks? where they getting their sand?

argument: fire and lightning dragons make the best lenses and glass there is. they have the heat and the sand and they share a border.

i like light dragons as assassins and illusionists, too. i know that's typically a shadow-aligned thing for people but consider: light dragons using glamours and bending light to create illusions, trapping folks in secret worlds, maybe that's really why the sunbeam ruin are so bright, or the hewn city so dark. and like? blind your assassination targets? literal flashbang grenades? warriors who can fight in the kind of light that blinds.

wind dragons make good bards and minstrals but also: they travel so they learn a lot about the places they go, see loads of stuff, learn the ways of other cultures, they make great ambassadors and librarians. they're the best merchants and messengers, sorneith's central post office is totally in the twisting crescendo.

water dragons as therapists. they're often oracles but also often not. some are just sensitive to others. they can work through trauma, make great physicians and hydrotherapy for older dragons with creaky bones or folks who've hurt themselves badly and need to recover their strength slowly.
......................................... tumblr-pa5yx1-Ks-ZM1tecpo4o1-100.png ...
the reliquary
federation-Bar.png
''it's not over yet''
wishlistloreaccentsart
familiar collector • fr +8 • pears!
@KingHarry interesting concept!
@KingHarry interesting concept!
@reliquiaen headcanon accept for water dragons.i definitely need to make a water dragon physical therapist.
@reliquiaen headcanon accept for water dragons.i definitely need to make a water dragon physical therapist.
@excessnight, I've thought about this before so here's a few that I came up with:

Water: Saltier. In a pre-industrial world, food spoilage is a major concern. Salt is valuable for its ability to preserve food using methods such as salting and pickling. While a pinch of salt isn't expensive, the sheer amount needed to fully preserve lots of food is indeed. Being able to control water would make filtering salt out of saltwater much easier.

Ice: Freezers. Similar to the above, ice is very useful for food preservation, especially for certain foods that spoil quickly or foods that might be affected by other methods (ex: frozen orange v. pickled orange).

Ice is also a luxury in and of itself, useful for cooling drinks or frozen deserts.

Light: Signalers. Signalling is a useful way of quickly and quietly sending messages over long distances. A light dragon could flash a message in Morse code with the hand, similar to Morse lamps used with ships or planes.

Nature: Greenhand. Nature dragons that lend a helping hand by aiding plant growth. Not all Nature dragons grow plants, and there are bound to be many dragons that do that are from other flights.

Hiring a few Nature dragons for a couple of days could be useful though, in the case of a bad season that could ruin the harvest. It's a temporary role, one that any Nature dragon could do, in addition to their own work, should the need arise.

Earth: Masons. Stone is incredibly heavy to quarry, transport, and work. This makes stone incredibly expensive to use and one of the reasons why most homes aren't mostly made out of stone. Earth dragons would make short work of all of that.

Their skill at manipulating stone would also make Earth dragons excellent artisans, being able to intricately sculpt stone sculptures, even being able to merge separate pieces into solid, seamless one.

Fire, Wind, Water, or Earth. Firefighters. In a pre-industrial world, fires were the most consistent and destructive threats to a city, especially since modern firefighting organization, infrastructure, and equipment haven't been established yet.

A Fire dragon could control and extinguish the flames themselves, a Wind dragon could starve the fire out by drawing out its oxygen, a Water dragon could douse it in water, while an Earth dragon could snuff it out by covering it with sand.

Earth dragons could also manipulate the walls to create pathways and openings for fire teams and anyone trapped inside.

Water, Wind, and Lightning. Stormsingers. Sailing ships can be finicky since the wind blows in any direct it pleases. Waves can be also be issue an issue during bad weather. Lightning is especially dangerous during a storm since it can start fires by striking the tall, wooden masts of ships.

A team of Water, Wind, and Lightning dragons would not only be able to protect ships from the elements, but allow them to travel constantly at full speed with the wind and waves at their back, arriving at their destination in minimum time.

Water dragons would also be useful for stopping leaks and performing underwater maintenance.

Also, food for thought: Smaller breeds such as Spirals and Fae would make for great sailors, since their small size means they can better navigate a ship's tight rigging and cramped quarters.
@excessnight, I've thought about this before so here's a few that I came up with:

Water: Saltier. In a pre-industrial world, food spoilage is a major concern. Salt is valuable for its ability to preserve food using methods such as salting and pickling. While a pinch of salt isn't expensive, the sheer amount needed to fully preserve lots of food is indeed. Being able to control water would make filtering salt out of saltwater much easier.

Ice: Freezers. Similar to the above, ice is very useful for food preservation, especially for certain foods that spoil quickly or foods that might be affected by other methods (ex: frozen orange v. pickled orange).

Ice is also a luxury in and of itself, useful for cooling drinks or frozen deserts.

Light: Signalers. Signalling is a useful way of quickly and quietly sending messages over long distances. A light dragon could flash a message in Morse code with the hand, similar to Morse lamps used with ships or planes.

Nature: Greenhand. Nature dragons that lend a helping hand by aiding plant growth. Not all Nature dragons grow plants, and there are bound to be many dragons that do that are from other flights.

Hiring a few Nature dragons for a couple of days could be useful though, in the case of a bad season that could ruin the harvest. It's a temporary role, one that any Nature dragon could do, in addition to their own work, should the need arise.

Earth: Masons. Stone is incredibly heavy to quarry, transport, and work. This makes stone incredibly expensive to use and one of the reasons why most homes aren't mostly made out of stone. Earth dragons would make short work of all of that.

Their skill at manipulating stone would also make Earth dragons excellent artisans, being able to intricately sculpt stone sculptures, even being able to merge separate pieces into solid, seamless one.

Fire, Wind, Water, or Earth. Firefighters. In a pre-industrial world, fires were the most consistent and destructive threats to a city, especially since modern firefighting organization, infrastructure, and equipment haven't been established yet.

A Fire dragon could control and extinguish the flames themselves, a Wind dragon could starve the fire out by drawing out its oxygen, a Water dragon could douse it in water, while an Earth dragon could snuff it out by covering it with sand.

Earth dragons could also manipulate the walls to create pathways and openings for fire teams and anyone trapped inside.

Water, Wind, and Lightning. Stormsingers. Sailing ships can be finicky since the wind blows in any direct it pleases. Waves can be also be issue an issue during bad weather. Lightning is especially dangerous during a storm since it can start fires by striking the tall, wooden masts of ships.

A team of Water, Wind, and Lightning dragons would not only be able to protect ships from the elements, but allow them to travel constantly at full speed with the wind and waves at their back, arriving at their destination in minimum time.

Water dragons would also be useful for stopping leaks and performing underwater maintenance.

Also, food for thought: Smaller breeds such as Spirals and Fae would make for great sailors, since their small size means they can better navigate a ship's tight rigging and cramped quarters.
1 2 3