Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [G&G] Strategy Hub
1 2 3 4 5 6
@Tunesmith ah, i see! now i can't manage to push the tile all the way to the top, though... i can't get past this particular spot. any ideas?
edit: i can't solve this for either color :<
https://i.imgur.com/79i2fiR.png

edit: nvm i clicked around a bunch and got it

glad you like the guide! the special puzzles were pretty tricky to figure out, so the least i can do is share
@Tunesmith ah, i see! now i can't manage to push the tile all the way to the top, though... i can't get past this particular spot. any ideas?
edit: i can't solve this for either color :<
https://i.imgur.com/79i2fiR.png

edit: nvm i clicked around a bunch and got it

glad you like the guide! the special puzzles were pretty tricky to figure out, so the least i can do is share
fzww6al.png
@chatoyant: about an hour after I made that comment I hit literally the exact same scenario with the single off-colour in the second ray, I ended up solving it by accident in the middle of the ray while clicking around and I have no idea how I did it. Obviously the move-it-to-the-ends is more of a suggestion than a 100%-useful technique D:
@chatoyant: about an hour after I made that comment I hit literally the exact same scenario with the single off-colour in the second ray, I ended up solving it by accident in the middle of the ray while clicking around and I have no idea how I did it. Obviously the move-it-to-the-ends is more of a suggestion than a 100%-useful technique D:
ZT1GQLd.png
Will try some of these strategies later because I want to learn how to do this. Thanks to everyone that has posted stratgies because I'm struggling with this game. :)

@Lunamore so I don't forget.
Will try some of these strategies later because I want to learn how to do this. Thanks to everyone that has posted stratgies because I'm struggling with this game. :)

@Lunamore so I don't forget.
We can turn G&G into a math problem, which may be easier (or harder) to solve. What we know: 1. Whenever we press a hex, it and the ones around it toggle. This means that the best solution doesn't press any hex twice. 2. Light and Shadow are indistinguishable, they both behave the same way. When labeling them 0 and one 1 it doesn't matter which is which 3. ##More to be added We can label every hex with a number, like so: [img]https://imgur.com/BsVUxPP.gif[/img] In this case, there are 61 squares, so we label each with a number 1 - 61. Whenever we press a number, some group of other numbers will toggle. With this we can form a [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(mathematics)]matrix [/url] that represents interactions. With [b]m[/b] spots, let's form a [b]m x m[/b] matrix. The entry a([i]i,j[/i]) is 1 if[i] i[/i] changes when [i]j[/i] is pressed. In our example of 61 spots, the matrix ends up looking like this (purple = 0, yellow = 1): [img]https://imgur.com/HLkbCok.gif[/img] (Very neat!) Now if we multiply this matrix by a vector of integers (whole numbers) (x1, x2, ..., xm), the result ([url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic]mod 2[/url]) is how the board would change if we pressed the corresponding hex x times. Shadow/Light can be labeled by 1 and 0, light being 1 and shadow 0 (or vise versa) Now to solve G&G, we want the change to be the same as the current board state or it's opposite. That way it becomes all the same. Then the problem becomes this: [img]https://i.imgur.com/5dmGOuH.gif[/img] We need to find a vector of integers so that when multiplied with the interaction matrix equals the board state (mod 2). That's what I spent the last few hours trying to solve, but math is hard. Other notes: You may recognize the last equation as a way to represent linear systems of equations. That is this problem can also be seen as one.
We can turn G&G into a math problem, which may be easier (or harder) to solve.

What we know:
1. Whenever we press a hex, it and the ones around it toggle. This means that the best solution doesn't press any hex twice.
2. Light and Shadow are indistinguishable, they both behave the same way. When labeling them 0 and one 1 it doesn't matter which is which
3. ##More to be added

We can label every hex with a number, like so:
BsVUxPP.gif

In this case, there are 61 squares, so we label each with a number 1 - 61.

Whenever we press a number, some group of other numbers will toggle.

With this we can form a matrix that represents interactions.

With m spots, let's form a m x m matrix. The entry a(i,j) is 1 if i changes when j is pressed.

In our example of 61 spots, the matrix ends up looking like this (purple = 0, yellow = 1):
HLkbCok.gif
(Very neat!)

Now if we multiply this matrix by a vector of integers (whole numbers) (x1, x2, ..., xm), the result (mod 2) is how the board would change if we pressed the corresponding hex x times.

Shadow/Light can be labeled by 1 and 0, light being 1 and shadow 0 (or vise versa)
Now to solve G&G, we want the change to be the same as the current board state or it's opposite. That way it becomes all the same.

Then the problem becomes this:
5dmGOuH.gif
We need to find a vector of integers so that when multiplied with the interaction matrix equals the board state (mod 2).

That's what I spent the last few hours trying to solve, but math is hard.

Other notes: You may recognize the last equation as a way to represent linear systems of equations. That is this problem can also be seen as one.
+3 FRT
@DeskLampSnek i'm glad i'm not the only one diving into math hell, lol.

i just spent the morning trying to solve 'hard' mode (but i guess it's a similar solution to 'very hard' mode) using matrices and here's what i figured out (though it might be completely wrong, i'm not very good at math):

let's call M the m x m matrix, X the solution vector, and S the vector with the board's current state.

M · X = S

multiplying both sides of the equation by M(^-1), we get:

X = M(^-1) · S

so, to get the solution vector we need to multiply the inverse matrix with the S vector.
googling tells me that the inverse matrix of a binary matrix is the same as its transpose matrix. since our matrix is symmetric,

M^(-1) = M^T = M

that means we don't have to do any math to get the inverse matrix, which is very good.

but i can't go any further than this. there's probably a simple way to multiply a horribly large matrix with a vector, but i don't know it. i tried to put the matrix into a spreadsheet but there must be something wrong with my formulas because i can't get a correct result.

(sorry for the bad-looking equations, FR hates special characters)
@DeskLampSnek i'm glad i'm not the only one diving into math hell, lol.

i just spent the morning trying to solve 'hard' mode (but i guess it's a similar solution to 'very hard' mode) using matrices and here's what i figured out (though it might be completely wrong, i'm not very good at math):

let's call M the m x m matrix, X the solution vector, and S the vector with the board's current state.

M · X = S

multiplying both sides of the equation by M(^-1), we get:

X = M(^-1) · S

so, to get the solution vector we need to multiply the inverse matrix with the S vector.
googling tells me that the inverse matrix of a binary matrix is the same as its transpose matrix. since our matrix is symmetric,

M^(-1) = M^T = M

that means we don't have to do any math to get the inverse matrix, which is very good.

but i can't go any further than this. there's probably a simple way to multiply a horribly large matrix with a vector, but i don't know it. i tried to put the matrix into a spreadsheet but there must be something wrong with my formulas because i can't get a correct result.

(sorry for the bad-looking equations, FR hates special characters)
fzww6al.png
@chatoyant I thought of that, but I ran into some problems. First of all, the inverse of M isn't it's transpose. Using python's sympy package the inverse matrix is: [img]https://imgur.com/h1iJj1d.gif[/img] which is not nice at all. Now using this to multiply we almost always don't get integers as our solution vector. I also tried gauss jordan elimination on an augmented matrix, but that too didn't give whole numbers. Unless you know how to do fractional presses, I'm still stuck
@chatoyant

I thought of that, but I ran into some problems.

First of all, the inverse of M isn't it's transpose.
Using python's sympy package the inverse matrix is:
h1iJj1d.gif
which is not nice at all.

Now using this to multiply we almost always don't get integers as our solution vector.

I also tried gauss jordan elimination on an augmented matrix, but that too didn't give whole numbers.

Unless you know how to do fractional presses, I'm still stuck
+3 FRT
1 2 3 4 5 6