Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | dragon cursewords?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I'm brainstorming ideas on what potty-mouth dragons would say because I am a potty-mouth irl and my dragons just so happen to take after me or something.

I'm not looking to replace any four-letter words with something made up because that can get weird and I think "heck" or "frick" conveys any sentiment pretty well.

But when I was trying to think of what dragons would say instead of godforsaken (elevenforsaken?) or oh my lord (oh my gladekeeper?), some things sounded okay, but others pretty unnatural. What do your dragons say to express themselves? Does anyone have any examples in their lore?
I'm brainstorming ideas on what potty-mouth dragons would say because I am a potty-mouth irl and my dragons just so happen to take after me or something.

I'm not looking to replace any four-letter words with something made up because that can get weird and I think "heck" or "frick" conveys any sentiment pretty well.

But when I was trying to think of what dragons would say instead of godforsaken (elevenforsaken?) or oh my lord (oh my gladekeeper?), some things sounded okay, but others pretty unnatural. What do your dragons say to express themselves? Does anyone have any examples in their lore?

featured dragon
for sale

gen 1! ♥
42298218.png
4gPXCym.gif
always feel free to ping me
she/her
+ 2
tumblr
wishlist
Some are actually pretty easy to translate - i.e. godforsaken = godsforsaken, oh my god = oh my gods, etc. Also I imagine dragons could get away with saying damn, and if you wanted to get more lore-y about it then things like "damn you to the Wyrmwound" or "damn you to Shade" work well.

I could see them using a lot of Shade-related cursewords too. Saying someone's Shade-touched would be a pretty dire insult.

I also kinda like the idea of working eyes/eye-colour into draconic vernacular because a dragon's eyes basically represent their connection to their deity. So I sometimes use, say, "eyeless" as an equivalent to "godless". And saying something is "black-eyed", as another reference to the Shade.
Some are actually pretty easy to translate - i.e. godforsaken = godsforsaken, oh my god = oh my gods, etc. Also I imagine dragons could get away with saying damn, and if you wanted to get more lore-y about it then things like "damn you to the Wyrmwound" or "damn you to Shade" work well.

I could see them using a lot of Shade-related cursewords too. Saying someone's Shade-touched would be a pretty dire insult.

I also kinda like the idea of working eyes/eye-colour into draconic vernacular because a dragon's eyes basically represent their connection to their deity. So I sometimes use, say, "eyeless" as an equivalent to "godless". And saying something is "black-eyed", as another reference to the Shade.
@Charias oooo I really like the idea of bringing the Shade into insults. And personalizing them with eye color is a good idea too. Could bring out some prejudices dragons might have against other flights.
@Charias oooo I really like the idea of bringing the Shade into insults. And personalizing them with eye color is a good idea too. Could bring out some prejudices dragons might have against other flights.

featured dragon
for sale

gen 1! ♥
42298218.png
4gPXCym.gif
she/her
+ 2
tumblr
wishlist
There are definitely some flight related insults.

Shadow flight dergs likely take being called "bright" an insult. Nature dergs probably say things similar to "Go to Wyrmwound, scum" because in a Nature derg's eyes that's the worst fate. Light Flight dergs likely use dull as an insult, both to mean the dragon's scale are not shiny and they aren't smart as those are two things the flight values a lot. A fiery personality is considered an insult to ice dragons, while it is seen as praise to fire dergs.

Each flight region likely has its own insults and sayings
There are definitely some flight related insults.

Shadow flight dergs likely take being called "bright" an insult. Nature dergs probably say things similar to "Go to Wyrmwound, scum" because in a Nature derg's eyes that's the worst fate. Light Flight dergs likely use dull as an insult, both to mean the dragon's scale are not shiny and they aren't smart as those are two things the flight values a lot. A fiery personality is considered an insult to ice dragons, while it is seen as praise to fire dergs.

Each flight region likely has its own insults and sayings
AvatarofAkatosh-cropped.png I tried to make an aesthetic signature but it broke :(
@TwilitBard good point!
@TwilitBard good point!

featured dragon
for sale

gen 1! ♥
42298218.png
4gPXCym.gif
she/her
+ 2
tumblr
wishlist
Personal favorites from my clan so far that I could think of ((A lot are more so comebacks then curse words but never mind that)): [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/258788/25878729p.png[/img]"Great Windsinger, put that down!" [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/261497/26149629p.png[/img]"That useless pile of prey!" "What a load of Shade!" [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/400818/40081751p.png[/img]"I hope she falls in the Wyrmwound some day." [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/409642/40964118p.png[/img]"This is why the Tidelord is missing..." ((In response to his apprentices doing something stupid.)) [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/290977/29097691p.png[/img]"Twice death to them!" ((Died and was revived, it's her idea of an insult, though most who don't know she was killed once just think she's weird.)) [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/394854/39485319p.png[/img] "I hope Iceshadow curses them from the grave, ha!" ((Long story short, Iceshadow is just a really bad guy who died.)) [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/320890/32088964p.png[/img]"Even Ice wouldn't train them..." ((Ice is a warrior in the clan who will train literally anyone unless she doesn't like them.))
Personal favorites from my clan so far that I could think of ((A lot are more so comebacks then curse words but never mind that)):

25878729p.png"Great Windsinger, put that down!"

26149629p.png"That useless pile of prey!" "What a load of Shade!"

40081751p.png"I hope she falls in the Wyrmwound some day."

40964118p.png"This is why the Tidelord is missing..." ((In response to his apprentices doing something stupid.))

29097691p.png"Twice death to them!" ((Died and was revived, it's her idea of an insult, though most who don't know she was killed once just think she's weird.))

39485319p.png
"I hope Iceshadow curses them from the grave, ha!" ((Long story short, Iceshadow is just a really bad guy who died.))

32088964p.png"Even Ice wouldn't train them..." ((Ice is a warrior in the clan who will train literally anyone unless she doesn't like them.))
@Flamestar03 haha those are great! I like "load of Shade" and blaming someone for the Tidesinger's disappearance :D
@Flamestar03 haha those are great! I like "load of Shade" and blaming someone for the Tidesinger's disappearance :D

featured dragon
for sale

gen 1! ♥
42298218.png
4gPXCym.gif
she/her
+ 2
tumblr
wishlist
"you smelly SERTHIS"
but yeah incorporating beastclans into their insults

arcane dergs would clearly have something related to space as swears. and shade, moreso than others? maybe?
wind dergs would clearly have something related to that one time the twisting crescendo just vanished
"you smelly SERTHIS"
but yeah incorporating beastclans into their insults

arcane dergs would clearly have something related to space as swears. and shade, moreso than others? maybe?
wind dergs would clearly have something related to that one time the twisting crescendo just vanished
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
There are definitely breed-related insults as well, like how in canon Spirals are often made fun of and the Snakehead insult in Temper, Temper
There are definitely breed-related insults as well, like how in canon Spirals are often made fun of and the Snakehead insult in Temper, Temper
83232606.png:Pet The Bean:83232606.png
Noggle is the worst word of them all
Noggle is the worst word of them all
5p1NDy8.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9