Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | There are two official dragon sizes
1 2 3 4
Consider this: There are two ways to look at dragon sizes on FR. I know many of you take your size chart, plug a few dragons in and it ends up looking something like this: [img]https://img00.deviantart.net/37d6/i/2013/338/9/5/flight_rising_size_chart_by_uropygid-d6woi0l.png[/img] It makes writing lore a bit awkward. Where if an Imp sneezes, it would take out a fae, right? And don't even think about how breeding works. How would a fae the size of a butterfly even talk with a guardian or an imp? For those trying to incorporate official lore into their clan as much as possible, this might be a problem. Especially since most of our lairs are mixed, having all kinds of breeds living together. What if the numbers and this popular chart was irrelevant? Because it is and there's evidence in the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/trading]Trading Post[/url]. Just look at that. That is not a "fae sized" caravan when Tomo's tablet, Crim's table and Baldwin's cauldron are the same size. They would never be able to trade with larger breeds if this were true: just carrying one piece of imp-sized apparel in the caravan would be impossible. Also consider the fact that they ask for materials that don't seem to have any size differences at all. There are no "fae-sized" runestones and plushies. They are just runestones and plushies. [img]https://i.imgur.com/20mDYE1.jpg[/img] This is why I've come up with a theory that dragons are sized differently but it makes much less of a difference than the size charts. The dragons are no different than someone who is 4 ft tall (121cm), 6 ft tall (182cm) and 8 ft tall (243cm). and can be sorted into categories of short, average and tall. This means there is no functional difference. A person who is 4 feet tall can operate a door or a desk the same way as someone who is 8 feet tall. Short: Fae, Skydancer, Spiral Average: Mirror, Snapper, Pearlcatcher, Wildclaw, Tundra, Bogsneak, Nocturne, Coatl Tall: Guardian, Ridgeback, Imp It is in this same way that Swipp can trade materials and apparel with all dragon breeds.
Consider this: There are two ways to look at dragon sizes on FR.

I know many of you take your size chart, plug a few dragons in and it ends up looking something like this:
flight_rising_size_chart_by_uropygid-d6woi0l.png

It makes writing lore a bit awkward. Where if an Imp sneezes, it would take out a fae, right? And don't even think about how breeding works. How would a fae the size of a butterfly even talk with a guardian or an imp? For those trying to incorporate official lore into their clan as much as possible, this might be a problem. Especially since most of our lairs are mixed, having all kinds of breeds living together.

What if the numbers and this popular chart was irrelevant?

Because it is and there's evidence in the Trading Post.
Just look at that. That is not a "fae sized" caravan when Tomo's tablet, Crim's table and Baldwin's cauldron are the same size. They would never be able to trade with larger breeds if this were true: just carrying one piece of imp-sized apparel in the caravan would be impossible. Also consider the fact that they ask for materials that don't seem to have any size differences at all. There are no "fae-sized" runestones and plushies. They are just runestones and plushies.
20mDYE1.jpg

This is why I've come up with a theory that dragons are sized differently but it makes much less of a difference than the size charts.

The dragons are no different than someone who is 4 ft tall (121cm), 6 ft tall (182cm) and 8 ft tall (243cm). and can be sorted into categories of short, average and tall. This means there is no functional difference. A person who is 4 feet tall can operate a door or a desk the same way as someone who is 8 feet tall.

Short: Fae, Skydancer, Spiral
Average: Mirror, Snapper, Pearlcatcher, Wildclaw, Tundra, Bogsneak, Nocturne, Coatl
Tall: Guardian, Ridgeback, Imp

It is in this same way that Swipp can trade materials and apparel with all dragon breeds.
Y3kY2LN.png
My headcanon for apparel is that it's all enchanted to resize to the dragon wearing it/intending to wear it.
My headcanon for apparel is that it's all enchanted to resize to the dragon wearing it/intending to wear it.
wq9PoXA.png
One size fits all super stretchy clothes!
Might look...interesting on the bigger dragons.
One size fits all super stretchy clothes!
Might look...interesting on the bigger dragons.
i like this headcanon
i like this headcanon
W1ufEjp.png
Why are skydancers small when they are most of the time bigger than spirals?
also you forgot nocturnes ad coatls from breed-list, although they likely would be medium-sized

otherwise very interesting headcanon
Why are skydancers small when they are most of the time bigger than spirals?
also you forgot nocturnes ad coatls from breed-list, although they likely would be medium-sized

otherwise very interesting headcanon
+ 10 fr time
Any pronouns
I am often a huge idiot
I apologize if I sound rude
not native speaker, english is hard
76914149_ZoqtgzM6biIYLbE.png
wishlist
I like D&D
i'll make this better soon
I like this idea much better than the actual cannon sizes. But that makes me wonder. Whos idea was it to make their sizes so drastically different? They certainly would've known about certain limitations and other restrictions. It's very odd and makes me wonder...
I like this idea much better than the actual cannon sizes. But that makes me wonder. Whos idea was it to make their sizes so drastically different? They certainly would've known about certain limitations and other restrictions. It's very odd and makes me wonder...
~*My g1s for sale*~
She/Her
Baby bat goth
Chat with me anything Undertale/Deltarune
My avatar dragon (click)
Maybe a dragon's concept of centimeters/meters is different than ours?
9-BF420-CA-86-E1-4-F59-85-CA-C3-BC6-F2-B7-B26.png
are you suggesting dragons only have one proportions and the only grow in height? i dont understand. [quote]Maybe a dragon's concept of centimeters/meters is different than ours?[/quote]metric is metric. a measurement system shouldnt drastically alter in a different place
are you suggesting dragons only have one proportions and the only grow in height? i dont understand.
Quote:
metric is metric. a measurement system shouldnt drastically alter in a different place
JD4sPWX.gif
@Shian [img]http://i.imgur.com/SPZIUEp.png[/img] The line is 2m tall btw [columns] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2239281/1][b]Open letter 2 Pocketss:WindDad'sHeadSize [/b][img]https://i.imgur.com/ZmxS89N.png[/img] [left] July 21, 2017[/left][/url][nextcol] The very first lore buddies ping list. Made souly to prove my friend wrong that yes you can find out how big and long Noodle dad's head is. [b]This thread covers topics such as:[/b] [LIST] [*]Deity hight [*]General dragon sizes [*]The longest noodle to rule them all [/LIST] [b]Recommended Pages to Read:[/b] The first post, then skim for any images there after. Stop reading when you reach the size comparison between godzilla and Stormcatcher for the main meat of the thread …that and p. 27 has some extra graphs. Counterarguments are all over the place (will have to make an update in the future…)[/columns] read my methology of getting said sizes there. There are also quotes from the comunity amanger that faes are the size of cats (cant find atm) so [b]yes[/b] there will be dificulties. This was brught up in a Q n A with the size of the cats and frogs apparal compared to imps and faes. also to consider new lore of Gailors and they where icewardens first children and they where massive, just like lightweavers first children imperials. yes they are massive but dragons also have diffrent scaling like you said but it's all within a range. i also remember reading that some of the art in swips area is noncannon, like the facial exspressions acording to Aequorin are noncanon and are there for the "human player" so the cannonness of the slips art is brought into question. also it is not "4 feet tall" its 4 feet in LANGTH all the sizes we get are in [b]LANGTH NOT IN HOW TALL THEY STAND UP[/b] I personaly dont follow that popular size chart just the one i made sicne i revursed the math of it, perhaps you can find it more accreate. I may be repeating myself at this time (just got up) but yeah you are going to have problems with faes and imps talking and faes and imps reproducing But if you look at say [b]dogs.[/b] A chihuahua can mate with a larger dog no problem [s]i will not be showing images just look it up[/s] and a chihuahua female can be inpregnated as well. if you are struggeling to visolize that or dont want to, but don't want to go with "they boop snoots and magic happends" mentality then perhaps go with external fertilization like how chickens reproduce [img]https://www.sciencedaily.com/images/2015/05/150522174534_1_540x360.jpg[/img] and chickens are closely related to dinosaurs [img]http://static3.pollpals.com/media/1369710444_o.jpeg[/img] and dinosaurs are theorized to be first originated with ancient humans (say back in the midevil era because knights fighting dragons) discovering fossils of dinosaurs. so a dragon fertilizing eggs like chickens do is not out of the relm of posiblitiy i also read from our mouse lord (Aequorin) that eggs grow in size depending on the breed [b]cant find the sorce atm but if you dig you'll find it[/b] if you got any more questions ask me @Shian but yeah it is akward, but its something you just gotta work around. The staff seemed to work with it just fine in Place Hazards and if you avent read that go do so and if you need a refresher i got notes and reactions here for you too. I love the Boss Fae in this and how she's handled. [columns][b]Bounty of the Elements Foot Notes[/b] [center][b]Part 1[/b][/center] [img]https://i.imgur.com/9gmxEOO.png[/img] [left]March 6 - March 15 2018[/left] [nextcol] I take notes on the entries added to the Encyclopedia that where added in the Bounty of the Elements update, documenting all facts about cannon we can gather from just the text alone. [b]Click on the symbol you wish to read. A link to the entry will be there too. Warning, spoilers, but it'll be safe to click on to be taken to the main article if you can't find it. [/b] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2394721#post_2394721][img]https://i.imgur.com/dlBzxvZ.png[/img] [b] Lore we learned from Work Place Hazards[/b][/url] [b]Recommended Pages to Read:[/b] First post[/columns] Size dynamics can be a great thing for lore! And i stick with cannon close as well so we're on the same page i think! [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2380813/1#post_2380813]Lore buddy[/url] ping list: [b](add me as a friend and comment on my profile page to be added!)[/b] [size=7]Please remove this ping list so that you don't ping +100 users.[/size] [s]my internet keeps me from editing posts fast enough and properly[/s] [size=1][size=1][size=1]@ArtsyDragon7, @Kawootie, @GlitterDCMarvel, @WhySoDelirious, @PoorLifeChoices, @Amyatzu, @JadeMagic, @CrystalRush, @Leopardmask, @violalore, @bowserslave, @Ellapinky, @JumpScared, @JadeFlame, @Duskflame, @TheElfDruid,@Rinwood,@DiamondNoodles,@3idolon,@Kaibutsu,@DarkwingDove, @ColoradoBlues @ClockworkEclipse, @SleepyChipmunk @Sabriel415, @DarkVSO, @WhiteDiamond ,@RingsofSaturn, @MagicSpyglass,@Rocwylde, @Artificiary,@ILUVDRAGONS, @throwaway181,@L2B,@Kittystar,@riseandshine, @luminousnoble, @Spottedleaves1,@Gaming4Lyfe @MiniDrachin @Katsuokai @AetherDragon @Kano3Shuuya @Caravan @EmeraldJubilee @TheEngineer @Kristan @Inkapede @KitApparently @girlgirlDragon @JonTargaryen @CassieRose @Chimaerix @Comic1Sans @CrazyRedFire @QuetzalQueen @FlamingSwallow @ookamisoulreaper @HyperionForge @Starglade @Galaxiel @biochemist @P4810 @CrAZDragon @Skyfire7 @AnacondaMiracle @Kerriganne @Cumulus @Aaliyahgemini664 @Smirch @Nomo2001 @RecursionErr0r @Scorporius @Kapara @GuidanceOfficer @Espeon5712 @Druddigon @Thace @MrFrenchFrybrows @RicochetRomance @FluffyTundras @CloverGaming @argylion @starryfruit @Eiira @NovaAurora @dinosaur42 @TimeStandStill @browncoatparadox @TropicalDiamonds @Cytus @RattleSnakes @SariStar @Kirrandria @clw23 @Hinumi @ThornOfStorm130 @FireStarter007 @SnoringHyena @mnkn10 @Dragonartist24 @Mikann @Namira @Nomo2001 @Drakenhart @PastCat @ArtsyDragon7 @Mediumdee @Stanari @CosmicTrash @W1F1N1GHTM4R3 @MidnightWatcher @SilverCentaur @Hashira @Temporaryreality @dragonhorselover @IronPen @Dreamcoyote @gbot13 @GrumpyCatlover @Sassibirb @AlphaP456 @Araucaria @Bufftuffandfluff @Ketzexi @TheGodOfStories @Gravebloom @nebulavery @Drakzaen @TheClassCalico @SalmonnFishie @Lunakitty @Jeevas @rluie @Sparkbreeze @aly922 @buggy101 @WhiteGrizzly @ilimati [/size][/size][/size] EDIT OH BTW THEY'RE ALL CANNON we have cannon sizes for all sorts of dragons, just look at their bio! Just work from their wingspans if the rest of the numbers are too hard to rap your head around then work backwards from there.
@Shian

SPZIUEp.png
The line is 2m tall btw

Open letter 2 Pocketss:WindDad'sHeadSize
ZmxS89N.png
July 21, 2017
The very first lore buddies ping list. Made souly to prove my friend wrong that yes you can find out how big and long Noodle dad's head is.
This thread covers topics such as:

• Deity hight
  • General dragon sizes
  • The longest noodle to rule them all

Recommended Pages to Read:
The first post, then skim for any images there after. Stop reading when you reach the size comparison between godzilla and Stormcatcher for the main meat of the thread
…that and p. 27 has some extra graphs.
Counterarguments are all over the place (will have to make an update in the future…)

read my methology of getting said sizes there.

There are also quotes from the comunity amanger that faes are the size of cats (cant find atm) so yes there will be dificulties.
This was brught up in a Q n A with the size of the cats and frogs apparal compared to imps and faes.

also to consider new lore of Gailors and they where icewardens first children and they where massive, just like lightweavers first children imperials.

yes they are massive
but dragons also have diffrent scaling like you said
but it's all within a range.

i also remember reading that some of the art in swips area is noncannon, like the facial exspressions acording to Aequorin are noncanon and are there for the "human player" so the cannonness of the slips art is brought into question.

also it is not "4 feet tall" its 4 feet in LANGTH
all the sizes we get are in LANGTH NOT IN HOW TALL THEY STAND UP

I personaly dont follow that popular size chart just the one i made sicne i revursed the math of it, perhaps you can find it more accreate.

I may be repeating myself at this time (just got up) but yeah
you are going to have problems with faes and imps talking
and faes and imps reproducing

But if you look at say dogs.
A chihuahua can mate with a larger dog no problem i will not be showing images just look it up

and a chihuahua female can be inpregnated as well.
if you are struggeling to visolize that or dont want to, but don't want to go with "they boop snoots and magic happends" mentality then perhaps go with external fertilization like how chickens reproduce

150522174534_1_540x360.jpg

and chickens are closely related to dinosaurs

1369710444_o.jpeg

and dinosaurs are theorized to be first originated with ancient humans (say back in the midevil era because knights fighting dragons) discovering fossils of dinosaurs.

so a dragon fertilizing eggs like chickens do is not out of the relm of posiblitiy

i also read from our mouse lord (Aequorin) that eggs grow in size depending on the breed cant find the sorce atm but if you dig you'll find it

if you got any more questions ask me @Shian
but yeah it is akward, but its something you just gotta work around.

The staff seemed to work with it just fine in Place Hazards and if you avent read that go do so and if you need a refresher i got notes and reactions here for you too. I love the Boss Fae in this and how she's handled.

Bounty of the Elements Foot Notes
Part 1
9gmxEOO.png
March 6 - March 15 2018
I take notes on the entries added to the Encyclopedia that where added in the Bounty of the Elements update, documenting all facts about cannon we can gather from just the text alone.
Click on the symbol you wish to read. A link to the entry will be there too. Warning, spoilers, but it'll be safe to click on to be taken to the main article if you can't find it.

dlBzxvZ.png
Lore we learned from Work Place Hazards

Recommended Pages to Read:
First post

Size dynamics can be a great thing for lore! And i stick with cannon close as well so we're on the same page i think!

Lore buddy ping list: (add me as a friend and comment on my profile page to be added!)

Please remove this ping list so that you don't ping +100 users. my internet keeps me from editing posts fast enough and properly
@ArtsyDragon7, @Kawootie, @GlitterDCMarvel, @WhySoDelirious, @PoorLifeChoices, @Amyatzu, @JadeMagic, @CrystalRush, @Leopardmask, @violalore, @bowserslave, @Ellapinky, @JumpScared, @JadeFlame, @Duskflame, @TheElfDruid,@Rinwood,@DiamondNoodles,@3idolon,@Kaibutsu,@DarkwingDove, @ColoradoBlues @ClockworkEclipse, @SleepyChipmunk @Sabriel415, @DarkVSO, @WhiteDiamond ,@RingsofSaturn, @MagicSpyglass,@Rocwylde, @Artificiary,@ILUVDRAGONS, @throwaway181,@L2B,@Kittystar,@riseandshine, @luminousnoble, @Spottedleaves1,@Gaming4Lyfe @MiniDrachin @Katsuokai @AetherDragon @Kano3Shuuya @Caravan @EmeraldJubilee @TheEngineer @Kristan @Inkapede @KitApparently @girlgirlDragon @JonTargaryen @CassieRose @Chimaerix @Comic1Sans @CrazyRedFire @QuetzalQueen @FlamingSwallow @ookamisoulreaper @HyperionForge @Starglade @Galaxiel @biochemist @P4810 @CrAZDragon @Skyfire7 @AnacondaMiracle @Kerriganne @Cumulus @Aaliyahgemini664
@Smirch @Nomo2001 @RecursionErr0r @Scorporius @Kapara @GuidanceOfficer @Espeon5712 @Druddigon @Thace @MrFrenchFrybrows @RicochetRomance @FluffyTundras @CloverGaming @argylion @starryfruit @Eiira @NovaAurora @dinosaur42 @TimeStandStill @browncoatparadox @TropicalDiamonds @Cytus @RattleSnakes @SariStar @Kirrandria @clw23 @Hinumi @ThornOfStorm130 @FireStarter007 @SnoringHyena @mnkn10 @Dragonartist24 @Mikann @Namira @Nomo2001 @Drakenhart @PastCat @ArtsyDragon7 @Mediumdee @Stanari @CosmicTrash @W1F1N1GHTM4R3
@MidnightWatcher @SilverCentaur @Hashira @Temporaryreality @dragonhorselover @IronPen @Dreamcoyote @gbot13 @GrumpyCatlover
@Sassibirb @AlphaP456 @Araucaria @Bufftuffandfluff @Ketzexi @TheGodOfStories @Gravebloom @nebulavery @Drakzaen @TheClassCalico @SalmonnFishie @Lunakitty @Jeevas @rluie
@Sparkbreeze @aly922 @buggy101 @WhiteGrizzly @ilimati

EDIT

OH BTW

THEY'RE ALL CANNON we have cannon sizes for all sorts of dragons, just look at their bio!
Just work from their wingspans if the rest of the numbers are too hard to rap your head around then work backwards from there.
ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
So with apparel pieces, it seems like a “one size fit all”. But when it’s on a bigger dragon, the apparel piece automatically looks bigger. Do the apparel pieces grow and shrink depending on what dragon puts it on? Or are each piece just different sizes?
So with apparel pieces, it seems like a “one size fit all”. But when it’s on a bigger dragon, the apparel piece automatically looks bigger. Do the apparel pieces grow and shrink depending on what dragon puts it on? Or are each piece just different sizes?
Art shop Ich bin ein Berliner!
YqXDmJ2.png
17, speech and debate LD captain, US high school senior
1 2 3 4