Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lorenieth, A Lore Discussion Hub!
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 46 47
@DJGay of course you can join in :)
@DJGay of course you can join in :)

featured dragon
for sale

gen 1! ♥
42298218.png
4gPXCym.gif
always feel free to ping me
she/her
+ 2
tumblr
wishlist
@DJGay Everyone is encouraged to share, whether they're on the pinglist or not. ^^ Go right ahead! I'd love to see what awesome lore you have to share that links back to the discussion prompt.

(Just as a warning, the prompt will change sometime tonight between 19:00 and 22:00! Sorry for not getting back right away!)
@DJGay Everyone is encouraged to share, whether they're on the pinglist or not. ^^ Go right ahead! I'd love to see what awesome lore you have to share that links back to the discussion prompt.

(Just as a warning, the prompt will change sometime tonight between 19:00 and 22:00! Sorry for not getting back right away!)
Ah, I see, thank you! Unfortunately I've exalted some dragons, but the basic gist of it is I apply the traits of that flight/their physical locations to give them all personalities, jobs and reasons why they moved to my clan. For example my Fire Fae was unhappy with her job as a metalworker c:
Ah, I see, thank you! Unfortunately I've exalted some dragons, but the basic gist of it is I apply the traits of that flight/their physical locations to give them all personalities, jobs and reasons why they moved to my clan. For example my Fire Fae was unhappy with her job as a metalworker c:
2bf6nnX.pngmtHAEL4.pngaPfqvmf.pngmjtJ868.pngEIzJIWx.pngVHmdVcB.png8OcABDV.png R4RVavr.pngumLF6oK.gifqVw4IEL.pngGR4p3Uw.pngfqG5KmE.pngzfNtpTV.png

2804985.png
2674017.png2802457.png2804809.png2804810.png2804975.png2804997.png2805025.png2805042.png2805060.png2805235.png2805293.png2805503.png2805680.png2805681.png2805737.png2805970.png2806037.png2806128.png2806314.png2806493.png2807548.png2807554.png2807685.png2808480.png2808481.png2808485.png2808499.png2808574.png2808764.png2808836.png2809949.png2812430.png
[center][size=6]{Site Lore} Who -- or what -- is with the Earthshaker?[/size] Suggested by @SgtCredo[/center] [quote name="The Earthshaker" date="2018-03-20 00:08:06"] As I listen in the dark, something stirs in the stone. I am no longer alone. [img]http://flightrising.com/dropbox/whar_he_go.jpg[/img] [/quote] Remember when [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2400064]the Voices thread[/url] rocked Flight Rising Discussion back at the end of last March? For this prompt, we shall revisit it and ponder on its last, haunting post... Who -- or what -- is with the Earthshaker? Do you believe it may be the Tidelord based on the image teased at the end of the Earthshaker’s post? Do you believe it may be the beings from [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=97][i]Ancient Fascinations[/i][/url] -- the ones who left behind the skeletons that caused Velya alarm (and are strongly hinted to being linked to the disappearances of dragons)? Or may it be something else altogether? Pull evidence as you wish. Share headcanons as you desire. Let us dig into this mystery as deep as we can go. [center][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/b/bd/Earthshaker.png[/img] {*}[/center] [size=4][u][b]Some Thoughts:[/b][/u][/size] I don’t know which of the two ideas in the prompt I prefer. On one hand, there’s the Tidelord. His disappearance and the statement made by the Earthshaker are closely linked in a temporal sense, as both occurred during the Bounty of the Elements. It would be truly fascinating for the Tidelord to have gone to the Earthshaker during this surge in magical energy -- perhaps he had a vision that required discussing with one of his oldest brothers. I can picture them discussing something big that could rock the foundations of land and sea alike. The lore possibilities there could be phenomenal. On the other hand, there are the beasts behind those skeletons. [s]This next bit may seem somewhat tangential, but it was all written with the intent of explaining why I can see this being so. I’m sorry if it goes on a bit long![/s] Given how far underground the archaeological expedition is, I headcanon that the Earthshaker may be partially responsible for their destruction (and/or, more tragically, their creation). Perhaps he wished for these things to never be found again, which could make sense since the story seems to hint heavily that they (and/or their discovery) are linked to the disappearances of dragons, both past and present: [quote="Ancient Fascinations"] [Velya the] nocturne trudged her way towards Chamber Fifteen where yet another draconic skeleton had appeared. This time it was found alongside dozens of the smaller skeletons that shared characteristics similar to those of Beastclans. The implications were disturbing. [...] “Something isn’t right. These skeletons shouldn’t even be here, Eora’s still hasn’t been found, and we have another chamber to close off[...]!” [Velya] stood in the entrance of Chamber Fifteen, looking over the crew. “Fetter, I need the names of every crewdragon for Four, Eight, and now Fifteen.” “Yes, chief!” Fetter pulled his logbook from his satchel with a flourish and began writing. As she made her way down, she noticed Armik frantically moving from dragon to dragon standing around the latest find. [...] “Armik! There’s still plenty of work to be done in Chamber Eight. What are you doing here?” “Looking for Mysher…” Armik said, an anxious expression on his face. “What do you mean, ‘looking for Mysher’?” “Chief...I haven’t seen ‘em since last night. He’s just...gone,” Armik’s voice cracked on the last word. “Fetter! Get down here! I need you!” When she didn’t hear anything, Velya turned to look back where she’d last left her apprentice. The tunnel behind her was dark, the torchlights had gone out. “Fetter?” The earth rumbled beneath their feet, and a small quake rippled through the cavern floor but Velya barely registered it. The entrance to Chamber Fifteen was empty. Only a satchel and a logbook remained. Fetter was gone. [/quote] What these creatures might be could be the subject of another prompt all on its own (and I encourage anyone who’s interested in discussing it to submit it as a Site Lore suggestion), but I feel like the Earthshaker could very well have tried halting the spread of its species for the safety of his people. However, the insurgence of magic from Bounty of the Elements could have given them new life -- literally. Considering that skeletal wyrms already exist with some sort of vitality, as implied by the subregion description for the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/wiki/world-map/region/1]Cairnstone Rest[/url], I don’t personally think that could be too far fetched of an explanation. At any rate, I believe it would be quite interesting if these beings had found the Earthshaker first. There could be a layer of tragedy there -- remaining alone could have been preferable for him over the company of such (likely dangerous) beings, especially if he had sought to be rid of them long, long ago. ...And now that I’m done with my Super Serious Business Tone™, I can’t wait to see your guys’ input and ideas on this prompt! :D [center][size=2]Pinglist was here.[/size][/center]
{Site Lore} Who -- or what -- is with the Earthshaker?
Suggested by @SgtCredo

The Earthshaker wrote on 2018-03-20 00:08:06:
As I listen in the dark, something stirs in the stone.

I am no longer alone.

whar_he_go.jpg

Remember when the Voices thread rocked Flight Rising Discussion back at the end of last March? For this prompt, we shall revisit it and ponder on its last, haunting post...

Who -- or what -- is with the Earthshaker? Do you believe it may be the Tidelord based on the image teased at the end of the Earthshaker’s post? Do you believe it may be the beings from Ancient Fascinations -- the ones who left behind the skeletons that caused Velya alarm (and are strongly hinted to being linked to the disappearances of dragons)? Or may it be something else altogether?

Pull evidence as you wish. Share headcanons as you desire. Let us dig into this mystery as deep as we can go.

Earthshaker.png

{*}

Some Thoughts:

I don’t know which of the two ideas in the prompt I prefer.

On one hand, there’s the Tidelord. His disappearance and the statement made by the Earthshaker are closely linked in a temporal sense, as both occurred during the Bounty of the Elements. It would be truly fascinating for the Tidelord to have gone to the Earthshaker during this surge in magical energy -- perhaps he had a vision that required discussing with one of his oldest brothers. I can picture them discussing something big that could rock the foundations of land and sea alike. The lore possibilities there could be phenomenal.

On the other hand, there are the beasts behind those skeletons. This next bit may seem somewhat tangential, but it was all written with the intent of explaining why I can see this being so. I’m sorry if it goes on a bit long!

Given how far underground the archaeological expedition is, I headcanon that the Earthshaker may be partially responsible for their destruction (and/or, more tragically, their creation). Perhaps he wished for these things to never be found again, which could make sense since the story seems to hint heavily that they (and/or their discovery) are linked to the disappearances of dragons, both past and present:

Ancient Fascinations wrote:
[Velya the] nocturne trudged her way towards Chamber Fifteen where yet another draconic skeleton had appeared. This time it was found alongside dozens of the smaller skeletons that shared characteristics similar to those of Beastclans. The implications were disturbing.

[...]

“Something isn’t right. These skeletons shouldn’t even be here, Eora’s still hasn’t been found, and we have another chamber to close off[...]!” [Velya] stood in the entrance of Chamber Fifteen, looking over the crew. “Fetter, I need the names of every crewdragon for Four, Eight, and now Fifteen.”

“Yes, chief!” Fetter pulled his logbook from his satchel with a flourish and began writing.

As she made her way down, she noticed Armik frantically moving from dragon to dragon standing around the latest find. [...] “Armik! There’s still plenty of work to be done in Chamber Eight. What are you doing here?”

“Looking for Mysher…” Armik said, an anxious expression on his face.

“What do you mean, ‘looking for Mysher’?”

“Chief...I haven’t seen ‘em since last night. He’s just...gone,” Armik’s voice cracked on the last word.

“Fetter! Get down here! I need you!” When she didn’t hear anything, Velya turned to look back where she’d last left her apprentice. The tunnel behind her was dark, the torchlights had gone out. “Fetter?”

The earth rumbled beneath their feet, and a small quake rippled through the cavern floor but Velya barely registered it. The entrance to Chamber Fifteen was empty. Only a satchel and a logbook remained.

Fetter was gone.

What these creatures might be could be the subject of another prompt all on its own (and I encourage anyone who’s interested in discussing it to submit it as a Site Lore suggestion), but I feel like the Earthshaker could very well have tried halting the spread of its species for the safety of his people. However, the insurgence of magic from Bounty of the Elements could have given them new life -- literally. Considering that skeletal wyrms already exist with some sort of vitality, as implied by the subregion description for the Cairnstone Rest, I don’t personally think that could be too far fetched of an explanation.

At any rate, I believe it would be quite interesting if these beings had found the Earthshaker first. There could be a layer of tragedy there -- remaining alone could have been preferable for him over the company of such (likely dangerous) beings, especially if he had sought to be rid of them long, long ago.

...And now that I’m done with my Super Serious Business Tone™, I can’t wait to see your guys’ input and ideas on this prompt! :D

Pinglist was here.
I don’t have site evidence, etc. However, I didn’t think the Earthshaker’s “new friends” were the same as the skeletal wyrms (zombies, friends, zombies - why hasn’t Plaguebringer unleashed her can of zombie-killing whooparse on the entire Earth domain?j referenced in the BotE event.

Anywho, there is no reason to expect that what stirs in the stone was ever recognizably alive.

Really looking forward to everyone’s take on this prompt!
I don’t have site evidence, etc. However, I didn’t think the Earthshaker’s “new friends” were the same as the skeletal wyrms (zombies, friends, zombies - why hasn’t Plaguebringer unleashed her can of zombie-killing whooparse on the entire Earth domain?j referenced in the BotE event.

Anywho, there is no reason to expect that what stirs in the stone was ever recognizably alive.

Really looking forward to everyone’s take on this prompt!
UYU9v2z.jpg
Maybe I'm missing something (I don't know much about the Earth flight) but I have another theory.

So, the elements/magic in general went pretty out of control during BotE. It's probably been said already, but what if the Shade is rising in reaction to this? You know, that sudden burst of magic...you'd think that it'd react a little, or be boosted as well.

If the Tidelord left to speak to the Earthshaker, you would think he would say something to his flight, to avoid panic. I think the Shade has done something to him, and what the Earthshaker can hear stirring is the Shade coming for him next. The missing dragons had the misfortune to bump into it first, which explains why there's new skeletons.
Maybe I'm missing something (I don't know much about the Earth flight) but I have another theory.

So, the elements/magic in general went pretty out of control during BotE. It's probably been said already, but what if the Shade is rising in reaction to this? You know, that sudden burst of magic...you'd think that it'd react a little, or be boosted as well.

If the Tidelord left to speak to the Earthshaker, you would think he would say something to his flight, to avoid panic. I think the Shade has done something to him, and what the Earthshaker can hear stirring is the Shade coming for him next. The missing dragons had the misfortune to bump into it first, which explains why there's new skeletons.
2LHRMay.png
I have a feeling it's old, like Gaoler old. Maybe a new beastcaln that's been dormant, there are references to skeletons looking like an unknown beastclan
I have a feeling it's old, like Gaoler old. Maybe a new beastcaln that's been dormant, there are references to skeletons looking like an unknown beastclan
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
I do find this fascinating, and a certain line you had in there sparked a connection in my big picture brain. Let's see.... -------------------------------------- [quote="Dreamnorn"]I headcanon that the Earthshaker may be partially responsible for their destruction (and/or, more tragically, their creation).[/quote] This would connect back up with us meeting the Icewarden's first children in the very first book, y'know? [quote="[Ice] Jailbreak"]Towering above her were three massive forms. Each was covered in a matted shag of long hair which draped over nearly every inch of them. They had rounded snouts with very large lower jaws, and sloping heads that receded into what Wemba assumed to be their manes. Out of each head sprang two very large bone-like horns, each of which was covered in several sharp points, and gnarled into a gradual curve. They had small mammalian ears and piercing white eyes that glowed in the murk. Their quadrupedal forms were held up by thick, muscular legs ending in menacing claws. Small, but frightening wing-like appendages draped from their shoulders. The most chilling aspect of these strange monsters was that Wemba couldn't shake the feeling that they were Tundra dragons.. But they couldn’t be. Tundras are smaller, softer. Tundras were Trendal. He is a Tundra, not these monsters. Wemba stared up at them, her mind at its limit. These draconic monsters reeked of an ancient scent she could not even fathom. Their features were exaggerated, as if an artist had taken everything that was meek and appealing about tundra dragons and had warped it into something terrifying. This isn’t happening. They look... "Ancient," whispered one, answering her thoughts. Wemba's head swam. She could not guess the age of these beings, but as an impossible thought flitted through her mind, she feared it held the truth. ...I’m looking directly into the eyes of the Icewarden's... "...first children. We are the Gaolers."[/quote] There's quite a few links my brain is drawing between the lore of the Ice + Earth BotE entries, Tundra and Snapper encyclopedia entries, and Earthshaker + Icewarden (+ Tidelord) wiki pages, so I'll do my best to make it all 'follow'able! -------------------------------------- 1. We have an immediate, obvious, connection to Goalers and the Ice[b]warden[/b], and Tundras in turn. This being, obviously, the fact that goaler is the old english word for jailer. This prison theme is continually played out through all of Ice's set lore, even in the lore of the Icefields. The Goalers are the ideal jailer; especially when compared side by side to Tundras, actually. [columns][color=transparent]**[/color][color=transparent]**[/color][nextcol][center][b]Similarities to Tundras;[/b] [color=transparent]**[/color] "Each was covered in a matted shag of long hair which draped over nearly every inch of them" [color=transparent]**[/color] "They had rounded snouts" [color=transparent]**[/color] "sloping heads that receded into what Wemba assumed to be their manes" [color=transparent]**[/color] [b]Similarities to the Icewarden;[/b] [color=transparent]**[/color] "with very large lower jaws" [size=2][i]note; more IW than Tun, because tundras have a slight overbite[/i][/size] [color=transparent]**[/color] "Out of each head sprang two very large bone-like horns, each of which was covered in several sharp points, and gnarled into a gradual curve" [size=2][i]note; more IW than Tun, despite Tun ears, due to IW's icecrest + spine icicles[/i][/size] [color=transparent]**[/color] "small mammalian ears" [color=transparent]**[/color] "piercing white eyes that glowed in the murk" [color=transparent]**[/color] [b]Other notes;[/b] [color=transparent]**[/color] "thick, muscular legs ending in menacing claws" [size=2][i]a curious choice of words-- I wouldn't describe either Tun or IW as menacing (Tun esp) or particularly clawed. This is an intimating design choice. Perhaps almost weaponising?[/i][/size] [color=transparent]**[/color] "Small, but frightening wing-like appendages draped from their shoulders" [size=2][i]These dragon's aren't designed for flying-- in addition to the leg descriptor, the implication of mirror-like transportation preferences is obvious.[/i][/size] [color=transparent]**[/color] "Wemba couldn't shake the feeling that they were Tundra dragons." [size=2][i]Is there an elemental aura dragon's can pick up on? And is it a seperate sense for a dragon's breed-flight to a dragon's elemental-flight alignment?[/i][/size] [color=transparent]**[/color] "Their features were exaggerated, as if an artist had taken everything that was meek and appealing about tundra dragons and had warped it into something terrifying." [size=2][i]A good summery of the differences haha[/i][/size] [color=transparent]**[/color][nextcol][color=transparent]**[/color][color=transparent]**[/color][/columns] So... what made the Icewarden completely backtrack on his previous design choices? The survival requirements are still all there-- thick fur with manes, presumably with shedding and non-shedding layers, and rounded snouts for furrowing around in the snow for food without shredding the plants or risking injury from hitting the frozen ground below. But Tundra's are placid and instinctively driven, and overwhelmingly unmenacing, trusting, and loving, y'know? Goalers are intimidating in design, and are shown to be very tactical (in their herding techniques) and, while not directly engaging in battle in the BotE stories, confrontational and confident. -------------------------------------- 2. To discover why those changes were made, we need to know about the Icewarden, and his desires and personal growth (specifically, since the first age and the current age). We know he was a second generation, made with the Earthshaker as one of his parents/as his father. We also know that, well, he's actually a rather emotive character-- from both his previous broadcast, with it's amused tone... [quote="Icewarden"]My my; what an interesting reaction.[/quote] ... and from his current voices post, with what I feel is almost a regretful/teasing tone? Like, we're [i]going[/i] to see what comes out, and he's almost sad like he's [i]failed[/i] whoever he promised secure jailing of 'the horrors' to? (If that makes sense?) [quote="Icewarden"]If you could only see the horrors I’ve held locked away…[/quote] A bit of history also plays in here, as well. When the deities left to their own regions, only a select few spoke to the Earthshaker before departing-- and the Icewarden happens to be one of those! (Along with the Tidelord [which I may touch on later] and the Stormcatcher [we'll see haha]) Note; the italics are the wikis, but the bolding are points I want to touch on. [quote="The Icewarden, FR Wiki"]Though [b]the heat of the day was taking its toll[/b] on him, the Icewarden [b]couldn't[/b] depart without saying something to the Earthshaker, the sole dragon to stay beside the pillar. [i]"This is the way of it. [b]We were resolute enough to keep this world from destroying itself[/b], but [b]now we have another charge[/b]. It is evident that [b]we will never hold off the residual darkness together[/b], so we must do so apart. [b]It is time to separate[/b]."[/i] And with that, he left for the Southern Icefield where his fragment of the pillar landed.[/quote] The comment about being resolute to keep the world from destroying itself is curious to me-- he could be referring to the pillar overturning the Shade, or the way the first 8 battled off the Shade in the first age, but the ambiguity of it... catches my interest? Because the Shade is not the world destroying itself-- but, perhaps, the infection of their first, twisted ideal residents could be. Especially with the change to "now we have another charge" before actually mentioning the Shade (by description). The Icewarden and Earthshaker appear to have a rather tight bond, actually, especially since "It is time to seperate." is reemphasised by itself, in another sentence. Solidifying the decision (though whether to himself or to (his father) the Earthshaker, one couldn't be sure. [size=2]Side note; actually, it's not too surprising that Earthshaker and Icewarden have a tight bond. The Earthshaker is notably attatched and loyal to all his companions, and his son would be no exception (loveless creation or not lol). Additionally, the Icewarden is a guardian by nature too-- a matron of a prison is a matron nonetheless.[/size] I decided to double-check the wiki input against the first age encyclopedia entry and boi howdy am I glad I did!! [quote="Epilogue: Flight Rising"]The morning heat had begun to wear on the Icewarden, but [b]he could not depart without[/b] saying something. [b]The Earthshaker looked pathetic[/b]. “This is the way of it. We were resolute enough to keep this world from destroying itself, but now we have another charge. It is evident that we will never hold off the residual darkness together, so we must do so apart. It is time to separate.” [b]His words withered the mountain drake[/b], he could tell, but [b]with a grim nod, he took his leave[/b].[/quote] The stress the Icewarden was under but his resolution not to leave without first conversing with the Earthshaker is still very strongly emphasised. In addition, as have [i]emotion reading omg[/i]. Though a bit harsh (for his own emotional benefit perhaps), the Icewarden is in touch with how the Earthshaker is feeling through out this exchange. Additionally, he waits for an acknowledgement and agreement with his decision before he leaves. Jebus, I love these guys. So, in conclusion, we know that the Icewarden has gone through a serious change of perspective since his creation. He's less hostile towards his fellow deities, and more concerned with preserving the planet from the Shade (if it should return) than from itself. He's emotional, reactive, and regretful-- but also unafraid to take action where it needs doing. The Goalers appear to be a defensive breed, and one designed to be proper wardens. Made in a time when their deity was cautious about his boarders, and physical threats. The Tundras were designed to be simple to please, but survivors. Made in a time when their deity fear the negative Shade returning to whip all life away from the planet. So... what does this mean for the Earth horrors in BotE? -------------------------------------- 3. That depends-- what do we solidly know about these horrors, and their relation to the Goalers? Because of the tracking of the Icewarden's development, quite a few assumptions can be drawn from the Earthshaker and his Snappers to fill in the blanks we have about the Earthshaker's first creations... which is a lot [s]more than Goalers[/s]. [quote="[Earth] Ancient Fascinations"]The nocturne made her way down the damp tunnel’s roped off path, passing through a cold chill that sent a shiver down her spine. It had been years since she’d found the dark, quiet confines of the underground caverns unsettling, but in the recent weeks of successful digs, [b]she’d had a nagging sensation that something had changed in the deep below[/b]; but Velya was too world weary to trifle with [b]irrational dread[/b]. She dealt only in reality.[/quote] This fear and instinct ties back to the Ice chapter, with Wemba's immediate fear of and monster labelling of the Icewarden's first children. A common theme appearing in the older creations, as it were. There's also a curious admittance at the start of the Earth chapter, something that instinctively ties back (in my mind) to a peace of Snapper lore. [quote="[Earth] Ancient Fascinations"]Over the past month, the Dragonhome Preservation Guild, comprised of [b]a select number of skilled archaeologists[/b], had uncovered [b]more artifacts and subterranean ruins than multiple generations combined had done before them[/b].[/quote] [quote="Snapper Dragons"]A land-bound species, [b]their thick, blunted nails enable them to break through the shale of the Shattered Plains[/b] to the shallow wells of water that can occasionally be found below the surface, [b]making survival in this harsh land possible[/b] .... These dragons are nomadic, [b]methodically following ancient, looping paths known only to their clan[/b] across the featureless plains. A Snapper does not sleep and [b]rarely stops moving[/b] .... [b]If you want two dozen quick answers, talk to a spiral.[/b] If you want a fully developed novel, follow a troupe of Snappers around for a week.[/quote] The last section about the spiral I included as a haha-isn't-that-funny point towards Fetter, but the rest of it holds a [u]very serious[/u] interplay in my mind. [u]Running on the assumption that the causers of chaos are the Earthshaker's first creation[/u], it would logically follow that the Earthshaker designed his snappers to survive their predecessor's presence. The snapper's need to be able to break through the earth to survive, but it would be ridiculous to continuously exhaust your energy supplies by endless wondering in a desert like situation without reason. I'm thinking, what if the first creations burrow through the earth in a system akin to the supernatural conceptual lay lines? (Is that spelt right?) The snappers follow a set path known only to those of Earth clans-- an inbuilt, natural defence mechanisms. [i]"Hey, come to Earth-- if you don't die of dehydration, then the monsters beneath will get fed!"[/i] (Actually, that sounds a lot like a certain Dr. Who episode lol, moving on!) The flaw in that plan is that there is, indeed, a snapper in the archaeological guild... but we [i]know[/i] that this is a multiflight guild-- perhaps, even, without an actual Earth dragon in their midsts. (Or, potentially, the reason for the ancient paths is lost in a multi-breed Earth clan, and has become clouded with age?) .......... I've been doing this for over two hours, and I've lost a lot of my original points somewhere in there, but I've got one last thought to finish this off (sorry it's not all a clean finish, in the end). [quote="[Earth] Ancient Fascinations"]Her crewdragon, Mysher, turned to her, “It’s [b]another gem cache[/b], but not just gems or [b]even artifacts this time[/b]!” The other archeologist, Armik, was quick to finish his co-worker’s observation, “Velya, [b]there are bones with this one[/b]!” Velya leaned forward to view the dig. Mysher was right. Throughout the cache of glowing gemstones were indeed the skeletal remains of a dragon who lived and died centuries before. “A wonderful specimen! But hardly the first we’ve discovered down here…” she trailed off as her eyes took in the part of the dig that truly was out of the ordinary. ... As she trotted through the tunnel back up to the central cavern, [b]the torchlights behind her sputtered, then extinguished[/b], one by one, leaving the path in chill darkness. ... Chief, they found [b]another one of those ...things[/b] in Excavation Chamber Four today. The crew says [b]it looks kind of like a Beastclan but not one they’ve ever seen,[/b]” Mysher whispered, standing close to her as she surveyed the progress in Chamber Eight two days later. “Close it off. No dragon goes in or out until I can see it for myself. Not even its crew,” Velya ordered. Mysher nodded and left.[/quote] [quote="Snapper Dragons"]With the the majority of their lives spent in travel, [b]these dragons do not build permanent lairs[/b]. Snappers [b]have difficulty residing in closed spaces[/b] or living in small, restricted territories. One to four times a year, (depending on the age and size of the dragon), a Snapper will create a shallow burrow and spend several days molting. After emerging, they will pick up where they left off on their route. [/quote] Earthshaker FR Wiki - Concept Design[url=http://flightrising.wikia.com/wiki/File:Fr_reject_earthshaker.jpg][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/0/03/Fr_reject_earthshaker.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/320?cb=20130710011649[/img][/url] From here, my theories diverge a little. [u]Numbero Uno![/u] If these children are burrowers, then I wonder if they look anything like the Earthshaker's concept art? Additionally, if the Snappers were a 'fixed' design of their diety's first children, then if the Snappers [i]instinctively[/i] cannot build a permanent home or reside in small spaces, then it's highly likely that the first creations were [i]heavy homebodies and hoarders[/i]. Thus, I theorise that the guild has [b]strayed off of the ancient safe paths[/b] and uncovered a [b]lair hoard of the Earthshaker's first children[/b]-- in particular one that hoard gems. The extra artefacts could be simple living necessities, with some of the unknown skeletal remains coming from the food hoard/stocks the children kept. I also wonder if the extinguishing of the flames is an indication of a distaste for sunlight (fire). Butt..... [u]Numbero Duossss[/u] These children are [b]far too much like the Dr. Who Midnight monster[/b]. They're able to body-hope, an are an etheral spirit like design. This, much like the homebody, would fit well with the Earthshaker's desire to never be alone. A desire he tried to rebel against when creating the solitary Snappers. It would explain the not-gone-actually-you-know-what-I'm-outta-here vanishing of Mysher, along with the fact that Fetter disappeared [i]without a skeleton appearing in his place[/i]. Additionally, this could perhaps suggest that the various unknown skeletal bodies were potential hosts for the children-- ones that died during or after usage. -------------------------------------- With either theory, my suggestion is that the Earthshaker was rebelling against his parental instincts in creating the independent snappers, and now he is no longer alone because his first children have been a) returned to him/unleashed by the Icewarden and b) reawoken to the modern world and/or given a new body thanks to the non-Earthen archaeology guild digging off the designated 'safe' paths through his land. -------------------------------------- IDK, I had more thoughts on this but they got lost in the theory void so... -shrugs- Hope this was enough of a response for you @Dreamnorn ;)
I do find this fascinating, and a certain line you had in there sparked a connection in my big picture brain. Let's see....

Dreamnorn wrote:
I headcanon that the Earthshaker may be partially responsible for their destruction (and/or, more tragically, their creation).

This would connect back up with us meeting the Icewarden's first children in the very first book, y'know?
[Ice] Jailbreak wrote:
Towering above her were three massive forms. Each was covered in a matted shag of long hair which draped over nearly every inch of them. They had rounded snouts with very large lower jaws, and sloping heads that receded into what Wemba assumed to be their manes. Out of each head sprang two very large bone-like horns, each of which was covered in several sharp points, and gnarled into a gradual curve. They had small mammalian ears and piercing white eyes that glowed in the murk. Their quadrupedal forms were held up by thick, muscular legs ending in menacing claws. Small, but frightening wing-like appendages draped from their shoulders.

The most chilling aspect of these strange monsters was that Wemba couldn't shake the feeling that they were Tundra dragons.. But they couldn’t be. Tundras are smaller, softer. Tundras were Trendal. He is a Tundra, not these monsters.

Wemba stared up at them, her mind at its limit. These draconic monsters reeked of an ancient scent she could not even fathom. Their features were exaggerated, as if an artist had taken everything that was meek and appealing about tundra dragons and had warped it into something terrifying. This isn’t happening. They look...

"Ancient," whispered one, answering her thoughts.

Wemba's head swam. She could not guess the age of these beings, but as an impossible thought flitted through her mind, she feared it held the truth.

...I’m looking directly into the eyes of the Icewarden's...

"...first children. We are the Gaolers."

There's quite a few links my brain is drawing between the lore of the Ice + Earth BotE entries, Tundra and Snapper encyclopedia entries, and Earthshaker + Icewarden (+ Tidelord) wiki pages, so I'll do my best to make it all 'follow'able!

1. We have an immediate, obvious, connection to Goalers and the Icewarden, and Tundras in turn. This being, obviously, the fact that goaler is the old english word for jailer. This prison theme is continually played out through all of Ice's set lore, even in the lore of the Icefields.

The Goalers are the ideal jailer; especially when compared side by side to Tundras, actually.
Similarities to Tundras;
"Each was covered in a matted shag of long hair which draped over nearly every inch of them"
"They had rounded snouts"
"sloping heads that receded into what Wemba assumed to be their manes"
Similarities to the Icewarden;
"with very large lower jaws"
note; more IW than Tun, because tundras have a slight overbite
"Out of each head sprang two very large bone-like horns, each of which was covered in several sharp points, and gnarled into a gradual curve"
note; more IW than Tun, despite Tun ears, due to IW's icecrest + spine icicles
"small mammalian ears"
"piercing white eyes that glowed in the murk"
Other notes;
"thick, muscular legs ending in menacing claws"
a curious choice of words-- I wouldn't describe either Tun or IW as menacing (Tun esp) or particularly clawed. This is an intimating design choice. Perhaps almost weaponising?
"Small, but frightening wing-like appendages draped from their shoulders"
These dragon's aren't designed for flying-- in addition to the leg descriptor, the implication of mirror-like transportation preferences is obvious.
"Wemba couldn't shake the feeling that they were Tundra dragons."
Is there an elemental aura dragon's can pick up on? And is it a seperate sense for a dragon's breed-flight to a dragon's elemental-flight alignment?
"Their features were exaggerated, as if an artist had taken everything that was meek and appealing about tundra dragons and had warped it into something terrifying."
A good summery of the differences haha

So... what made the Icewarden completely backtrack on his previous design choices? The survival requirements are still all there-- thick fur with manes, presumably with shedding and non-shedding layers, and rounded snouts for furrowing around in the snow for food without shredding the plants or risking injury from hitting the frozen ground below. But Tundra's are placid and instinctively driven, and overwhelmingly unmenacing, trusting, and loving, y'know?

Goalers are intimidating in design, and are shown to be very tactical (in their herding techniques) and, while not directly engaging in battle in the BotE stories, confrontational and confident.

2. To discover why those changes were made, we need to know about the Icewarden, and his desires and personal growth (specifically, since the first age and the current age). We know he was a second generation, made with the Earthshaker as one of his parents/as his father. We also know that, well, he's actually a rather emotive character-- from both his previous broadcast, with it's amused tone...
Icewarden wrote:
My my; what an interesting reaction.

... and from his current voices post, with what I feel is almost a regretful/teasing tone? Like, we're going to see what comes out, and he's almost sad like he's failed whoever he promised secure jailing of 'the horrors' to? (If that makes sense?)
Icewarden wrote:
If you could only see the horrors I’ve held locked away…

A bit of history also plays in here, as well. When the deities left to their own regions, only a select few spoke to the Earthshaker before departing-- and the Icewarden happens to be one of those! (Along with the Tidelord [which I may touch on later] and the Stormcatcher [we'll see haha])

Note; the italics are the wikis, but the bolding are points I want to touch on.
The Icewarden, FR Wiki wrote:
Though the heat of the day was taking its toll on him, the Icewarden couldn't depart without saying something to the Earthshaker, the sole dragon to stay beside the pillar. "This is the way of it. We were resolute enough to keep this world from destroying itself, but now we have another charge. It is evident that we will never hold off the residual darkness together, so we must do so apart. It is time to separate." And with that, he left for the Southern Icefield where his fragment of the pillar landed.

The comment about being resolute to keep the world from destroying itself is curious to me-- he could be referring to the pillar overturning the Shade, or the way the first 8 battled off the Shade in the first age, but the ambiguity of it... catches my interest?

Because the Shade is not the world destroying itself-- but, perhaps, the infection of their first, twisted ideal residents could be. Especially with the change to "now we have another charge" before actually mentioning the Shade (by description). The Icewarden and Earthshaker appear to have a rather tight bond, actually, especially since "It is time to seperate." is reemphasised by itself, in another sentence. Solidifying the decision (though whether to himself or to (his father) the Earthshaker, one couldn't be sure.

Side note; actually, it's not too surprising that Earthshaker and Icewarden have a tight bond. The Earthshaker is notably attatched and loyal to all his companions, and his son would be no exception (loveless creation or not lol). Additionally, the Icewarden is a guardian by nature too-- a matron of a prison is a matron nonetheless.

I decided to double-check the wiki input against the first age encyclopedia entry and boi howdy am I glad I did!!
Epilogue: Flight Rising wrote:
The morning heat had begun to wear on the Icewarden, but he could not depart without saying something. The Earthshaker looked pathetic. “This is the way of it. We were resolute enough to keep this world from destroying itself, but now we have another charge. It is evident that we will never hold off the residual darkness together, so we must do so apart. It is time to separate.”

His words withered the mountain drake, he could tell, but with a grim nod, he took his leave.

The stress the Icewarden was under but his resolution not to leave without first conversing with the Earthshaker is still very strongly emphasised. In addition, as have emotion reading omg. Though a bit harsh (for his own emotional benefit perhaps), the Icewarden is in touch with how the Earthshaker is feeling through out this exchange. Additionally, he waits for an acknowledgement and agreement with his decision before he leaves. Jebus, I love these guys.

So, in conclusion, we know that the Icewarden has gone through a serious change of perspective since his creation. He's less hostile towards his fellow deities, and more concerned with preserving the planet from the Shade (if it should return) than from itself. He's emotional, reactive, and regretful-- but also unafraid to take action where it needs doing.

The Goalers appear to be a defensive breed, and one designed to be proper wardens. Made in a time when their deity was cautious about his boarders, and physical threats. The Tundras were designed to be simple to please, but survivors. Made in a time when their deity fear the negative Shade returning to whip all life away from the planet.

So... what does this mean for the Earth horrors in BotE?

3. That depends-- what do we solidly know about these horrors, and their relation to the Goalers?

Because of the tracking of the Icewarden's development, quite a few assumptions can be drawn from the Earthshaker and his Snappers to fill in the blanks we have about the Earthshaker's first creations... which is a lot more than Goalers.
[Earth] Ancient Fascinations wrote:
The nocturne made her way down the damp tunnel’s roped off path, passing through a cold chill that sent a shiver down her spine. It had been years since she’d found the dark, quiet confines of the underground caverns unsettling, but in the recent weeks of successful digs, she’d had a nagging sensation that something had changed in the deep below; but Velya was too world weary to trifle with irrational dread. She dealt only in reality.

This fear and instinct ties back to the Ice chapter, with Wemba's immediate fear of and monster labelling of the Icewarden's first children. A common theme appearing in the older creations, as it were.

There's also a curious admittance at the start of the Earth chapter, something that instinctively ties back (in my mind) to a peace of Snapper lore.
Over the past month, the Dragonhome Preservation Guild, comprised of a select number of skilled archaeologists, had uncovered more artifacts and subterranean ruins than multiple generations combined had done before them.
Snapper Dragons wrote:
A land-bound species, their thick, blunted nails enable them to break through the shale of the Shattered Plains to the shallow wells of water that can occasionally be found below the surface, making survival in this harsh land possible .... These dragons are nomadic, methodically following ancient, looping paths known only to their clan across the featureless plains. A Snapper does not sleep and rarely stops moving .... If you want two dozen quick answers, talk to a spiral. If you want a fully developed novel, follow a troupe of Snappers around for a week.

The last section about the spiral I included as a haha-isn't-that-funny point towards Fetter, but the rest of it holds a very serious interplay in my mind.

Running on the assumption that the causers of chaos are the Earthshaker's first creation, it would logically follow that the Earthshaker designed his snappers to survive their predecessor's presence. The snapper's need to be able to break through the earth to survive, but it would be ridiculous to continuously exhaust your energy supplies by endless wondering in a desert like situation without reason.

I'm thinking, what if the first creations burrow through the earth in a system akin to the supernatural conceptual lay lines? (Is that spelt right?) The snappers follow a set path known only to those of Earth clans-- an inbuilt, natural defence mechanisms. "Hey, come to Earth-- if you don't die of dehydration, then the monsters beneath will get fed!" (Actually, that sounds a lot like a certain Dr. Who episode lol, moving on!)

The flaw in that plan is that there is, indeed, a snapper in the archaeological guild... but we know that this is a multiflight guild-- perhaps, even, without an actual Earth dragon in their midsts. (Or, potentially, the reason for the ancient paths is lost in a multi-breed Earth clan, and has become clouded with age?)

I've been doing this for over two hours, and I've lost a lot of my original points somewhere in there, but I've got one last thought to finish this off (sorry it's not all a clean finish, in the end).
Her crewdragon, Mysher, turned to her, “It’s another gem cache, but not just gems or even artifacts this time!”

The other archeologist, Armik, was quick to finish his co-worker’s observation, “Velya, there are bones with this one!”

Velya leaned forward to view the dig. Mysher was right. Throughout the cache of glowing gemstones were indeed the skeletal remains of a dragon who lived and died centuries before. “A wonderful specimen! But hardly the first we’ve discovered down here…” she trailed off as her eyes took in the part of the dig that truly was out of the ordinary.

As she trotted through the tunnel back up to the central cavern, the torchlights behind her sputtered, then extinguished, one by one, leaving the path in chill darkness.

Chief, they found another one of those ...things in Excavation Chamber Four today. The crew says it looks kind of like a Beastclan but not one they’ve ever seen,” Mysher whispered, standing close to her as she surveyed the progress in Chamber Eight two days later.

“Close it off. No dragon goes in or out until I can see it for myself. Not even its crew,” Velya ordered. Mysher nodded and left.

Snapper Dragons wrote:
With the the majority of their lives spent in travel, these dragons do not build permanent lairs. Snappers have difficulty residing in closed spaces or living in small, restricted territories. One to four times a year, (depending on the age and size of the dragon), a Snapper will create a shallow burrow and spend several days molting. After emerging, they will pick up where they left off on their route.

Earthshaker FR Wiki - Concept Design[img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/0/03/Fr_reject_earthshaker.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/320?cb=20130710011649[/img]

From here, my theories diverge a little.

Numbero Uno!
If these children are burrowers, then I wonder if they look anything like the Earthshaker's concept art? Additionally, if the Snappers were a 'fixed' design of their diety's first children, then if the Snappers instinctively cannot build a permanent home or reside in small spaces, then it's highly likely that the first creations were heavy homebodies and hoarders.

Thus, I theorise that the guild has strayed off of the ancient safe paths and uncovered a lair hoard of the Earthshaker's first children-- in particular one that hoard gems. The extra artefacts could be simple living necessities, with some of the unknown skeletal remains coming from the food hoard/stocks the children kept.

I also wonder if the extinguishing of the flames is an indication of a distaste for sunlight (fire). Butt.....

Numbero Duossss
These children are far too much like the Dr. Who Midnight monster. They're able to body-hope, an are an etheral spirit like design. This, much like the homebody, would fit well with the Earthshaker's desire to never be alone.

A desire he tried to rebel against when creating the solitary Snappers.

It would explain the not-gone-actually-you-know-what-I'm-outta-here vanishing of Mysher, along with the fact that Fetter disappeared without a skeleton appearing in his place. Additionally, this could perhaps suggest that the various unknown skeletal bodies were potential hosts for the children-- ones that died during or after usage.

With either theory, my suggestion is that the Earthshaker was rebelling against his parental instincts in creating the independent snappers, and now he is no longer alone because his first children have been a) returned to him/unleashed by the Icewarden and b) reawoken to the modern world and/or given a new body thanks to the non-Earthen archaeology guild digging off the designated 'safe' paths through his land.

IDK, I had more thoughts on this but they got lost in the theory void so... -shrugs- Hope this was enough of a response for you @Dreamnorn ;)
aU9WS3E.pngt84msfC.pngJOXfoXi.pngDA41oQ3.pngzQMJOMs.pngS1BatfX.png
T23.gifeu5gY4S.pngmLz7vr5.png8g70fVi.pngB18_R.png
[b]deities (sans tidelord):[/b] oh man something's happening and its NOT GOOD [b]the windsinger:[/b] sounds like fun! so this isn't nearly as detailed as it should be, but i kinda think whatever the goalers were protecting/jailing might be the results of the lightweaver's original imperials EDIT 1: I WASNT FINISHED AND THE REST IS COMING SOON EDIT 2: IT'S HERE if primal tundras look terrifying compared to modern tundras, then the same could probably be assumed for imperials. (coincidentally, there are no tundras in the main site banner) [quote=Icewarden]If you could only see the horrors I’ve held locked away…[/quote] [quote=Lightweaver]I see the truth. Though it wounds my heart, the Imperials were a mistake that must be rectified.[/quote] i think the primal imperials might be causing all the issues-- the nature ambassador's mania (which led to the scar plaguebringer mentioned), forcing flamecaller's clans to fight + the volcano eruption (??) to start Happening, the sudden energy increase stormcatcher posted about, and that would explain arcanist's post right after it. then them waking up/potentially escaping the ice prison caused the earthshaker to detect the disturbance, leading to his post. if a modern imperial could become an emperor, which is incredibly powerful, imagine how much destruction a primal emperor can do. EDIT 3: "The Tidelord changed his account's broadcast message on February 21st, 2018 accompanied by a gif on the official Flight Rising Tumblr bearing the same message. The previous broadcast message was "I see a wave of feather, fur and scale. Are we alone?"." - wiki
deities (sans tidelord): oh man something's happening and its NOT GOOD
the windsinger: sounds like fun!

so this isn't nearly as detailed as it should be, but

i kinda think whatever the goalers were protecting/jailing might be the results of the lightweaver's original imperials

EDIT 1: I WASNT FINISHED AND THE REST IS COMING SOON

EDIT 2: IT'S HERE

if primal tundras look terrifying compared to modern tundras, then the same could probably be assumed for imperials.

(coincidentally, there are no tundras in the main site banner)
Icewarden wrote:
If you could only see the horrors I’ve held locked away…
Lightweaver wrote:
I see the truth. Though it wounds my heart, the Imperials were a mistake that must be rectified.

i think the primal imperials might be causing all the issues-- the nature ambassador's mania (which led to the scar plaguebringer mentioned), forcing flamecaller's clans to fight + the volcano eruption (??) to start Happening, the sudden energy increase stormcatcher posted about, and that would explain arcanist's post right after it.

then them waking up/potentially escaping the ice prison caused the earthshaker to detect the disturbance, leading to his post.

if a modern imperial could become an emperor, which is incredibly powerful, imagine how much destruction a primal emperor can do.

EDIT 3:

"The Tidelord changed his account's broadcast message on February 21st, 2018 accompanied by a gif on the official Flight Rising Tumblr bearing the same message. The previous broadcast message was "I see a wave of feather, fur and scale. Are we alone?"." - wiki
Rock poppy just tired and sad stop thinking bad about him. Snapeprs remember everything cause he has PTSD.
Leave our daddy alone
Rock poppy just tired and sad stop thinking bad about him. Snapeprs remember everything cause he has PTSD.
Leave our daddy alone
ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 46 47