Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lorenieth, A Lore Discussion Hub!
1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 46 47
Well, I haven’t written it down yet (probably because, despite planning out my clan’s lore already, I haven’t written ANYTHING down), but two of my dragons are headed straight for the Light region and don’t even realize it yet. As for the rest of my clan? They’re freaked out because of the Lightweaver’s declaration of Imps being a mistake and are working on plans to protect the Imperials in their clan.

Ironically, my clan is more suspicious of their Light members than of the Imperials. In my lore, Fire clans cremate their dead, so an Emperor appearing in the Ashfall Wastes is incredibly unlikely. My clan does have a fear that dragons raised in a clan with a different element would be more loyal to their god then to Flamecaller, hence the suspicion.

The whole mine strike affected them somewhat, since some of my dragons rely on the ore to craft things. Thanks to Lightweaver’s declaration, they now consider the mine closure a blessing in disguise, since they need all hands on deck to evacuate the Imps.
Well, I haven’t written it down yet (probably because, despite planning out my clan’s lore already, I haven’t written ANYTHING down), but two of my dragons are headed straight for the Light region and don’t even realize it yet. As for the rest of my clan? They’re freaked out because of the Lightweaver’s declaration of Imps being a mistake and are working on plans to protect the Imperials in their clan.

Ironically, my clan is more suspicious of their Light members than of the Imperials. In my lore, Fire clans cremate their dead, so an Emperor appearing in the Ashfall Wastes is incredibly unlikely. My clan does have a fear that dragons raised in a clan with a different element would be more loyal to their god then to Flamecaller, hence the suspicion.

The whole mine strike affected them somewhat, since some of my dragons rely on the ore to craft things. Thanks to Lightweaver’s declaration, they now consider the mine closure a blessing in disguise, since they need all hands on deck to evacuate the Imps.
WRcl6DV.png dragon.png mlHpBMC.png
[center][size=6]{Site Lore} What are your thoughts, analyses, and/or headcanons regarding the Swipp family and its dynamic?[/size] Buffer Prompt[/center] Just for fun, I decided to toss a variation of the sample prompt on Lorenieth's front page into the randomized pool. Honestly, considering the number of Site Lore submissions we've received so far, I'm quite surprised this one showed up so soon, but RNG works in mysterious ways. So... here we are, I guess! Let's talk about Sornieth's most famous family of Faes! Located at [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/trading/swipp]Swipp's Swap Stand[/url], these dragons hardly need an introduction! But how much do we really know about Swipp, Pipp, and Tripp? What might they be like as individuals? How may they function as a family unit? Do you think they tend to get along, or are arguments commonplace with Tripp seeming so uninterested in the family business? Feel free to [url=http://flightrising.wikia.com/wiki/Swipp]reference their quotes at the Swap Stand[/url], pull information from [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=1]the Fae breed article[/url], dive into headcanons, and bounce ideas off of each other! :D I have [i]faeth[/i] that you guys will bring a lot of awesome ideas to the table! [s]I'll see myself out now.[/s] [center][img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/b/b7/Pipp_tripp.png[/img] {*}[/center] [size=4][u][b]Some Thoughts:[/b][/u][/size] [s]Just kidding, I need to share my thoughts first. XD[/s] Boy, I wish work weren't kicking my butt as of late! I have a lot of thoughts about Swipp's family that I would love to articulate, but I just don't have time to quote everything and bring in all the primary evidence I would like. D: Still, I'm going to do my best to do this prompt justice! Regarding Swipp himself, I always viewed him as an ambitious and intelligent businessman and traveler. I headcanon that he started the Swap Stand amidst a colony of Faes, and he was determined to expand his horizons as soon as possible when he began getting positive feedback. However, he ran into a bit of a snag. According to the Fae breed article: [quote="The Fae Dragons Article in the Encyclopedia"] When interacting with other breeds [Fae dragons] frequently have difficulty understanding emotion, as the lack of an expressive crest cripples the Fae's ability to read the other dragon's intent. Equally, other species have difficulty reading the Fae; the tiny dragons maintain a monotone when speaking and do not exhibit common body language. [/quote] So what did he do? Well, I imagine he went out of his way to learn how to communicate more effectively with dragons of other species! In my headcanon, he expanded his empire by traveling far and wide across Sornieth (which goes with his being a Wind dragon), and in each place, he would try to take notes of how dragons of other species spoke, composed themselves, etc. with aid from the locals. Though it took a lot of practice, he can now speak with some enthusiasm and bounce (as evidenced by his use of exclamation points when he communicates at the Swap Stand), and can better read the intent and emotions of prospective customers. Eventually, he would go on to teach his daughters how to do the same. With so many years of experience and travel under his belt, Swipp has become a king of upselling and understands the kinds of things customers would be willing to part with in order to engage in trade with him. He likes to keep his trades fair, albeit a bit more to his favor than that of the customers. Still, I imagine he enjoys seeing customers walk away happy with the items they've acquired from him. He feels like it's a sign of a job well done. Pipp and Tripp, meanwhile, are like night and day. I imagine their father has gone out of his way to extensively train them how to run a business, and both of them -- as evidenced by their various pitches at the Swap Stand -- have taken to his pushing differently. For Pipp, the opportunity to expand the business and make it more profitable for the family is enthralling! She's better at conveying enthusiasm to dragons of other species than her father, and regularly seeks his approval for her business practices and pitches. The extra 1kt per trade she asks for is to further expand their empire and get better quality products in the future. All in all, she's working hard in order to be named the heir of the family business when the time comes. It's as much her passion as it is her father's. Meanwhile, Tripp is resentful of the constant training she's been subjected to. She doesn't want to feel like her destiny is chained to the Swap Stand and wishes that she could be free to do her own thing. As such, she tries to "fight the power" by going out of her way to be bad at her job: whining in front of customers, admitting that there's some shadiness in certain pitches, saying she doesn't care if they actually buy anything or not, etc. I believe Tripp hopes that her family will one day be fed up with it and free her from this perceived burden. The extra 2kt she charges may also be part of her effort to seem "unreasonable" as a businesswoman. As a family dynamic, we don't know a lot about how Swipp views his daughters, but I think it could go one of three ways. First, he could put more stock in Pipp because he's quite aware that she's a good candidate as an heir to his trade, leaving Tripp to sort of deal with the lower ends of customer service as time goes on. Second, he could put more stock in Tripp in an effort to get her more enthusiastic about the family business. This would backfire, as it could make Tripp even more resentful and cause Pipp to perhaps feel insecure, encouraging her to check back with her father often so that he may notice her. Third, he could put equal stock into both of his daughters, hoping to see them both grow but knowing, sadly, that Tripp is no longer interested. Obviously, these are all just my interpretations (and I would love to hear others if you have any!), but I think of these three, the second one is probably my favorite. Moving on to the sisters! Here are the quotes from Pipp and Tripp that reference each other: [quote="Pipp in Reference to Tripp"] I only have a few left, and it's certainly a better bargain than Tripp will ever offer! My sister Tripp might enjoy this if she gave it a better shot! [/quote] [quote="Tripp in Reference to Pipp"] Pipp's way too excited about the family business... She should be selling this [ITEMNAME], not me! [/quote] I'm not entirely sure how to interpret Pipp's side. I think it's fair to assume that Tripp is a bit annoyed by Pipp's eagerness, but Pipp is different. On one hand, I can see her words playfully ribbing at Tripp, trying to encourage her to give this a better try in the hopes that she'll grow to like the business in the future. On the other hand, I can see Pipp's words coming from a place of frustration since Tripp seems to be the only one who's disinterested in the Swap Stand. Or maybe it's both? I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this! :D [center][size=2]Pinglist was here.[/size][/center]
{Site Lore} What are your thoughts, analyses, and/or headcanons regarding the Swipp family and its dynamic?
Buffer Prompt

Just for fun, I decided to toss a variation of the sample prompt on Lorenieth's front page into the randomized pool. Honestly, considering the number of Site Lore submissions we've received so far, I'm quite surprised this one showed up so soon, but RNG works in mysterious ways. So... here we are, I guess!

Let's talk about Sornieth's most famous family of Faes! Located at Swipp's Swap Stand, these dragons hardly need an introduction! But how much do we really know about Swipp, Pipp, and Tripp? What might they be like as individuals? How may they function as a family unit? Do you think they tend to get along, or are arguments commonplace with Tripp seeming so uninterested in the family business?

Feel free to reference their quotes at the Swap Stand, pull information from the Fae breed article, dive into headcanons, and bounce ideas off of each other! :D I have faeth that you guys will bring a lot of awesome ideas to the table!

I'll see myself out now.

Pipp_tripp.png

{*}

Some Thoughts:

Just kidding, I need to share my thoughts first. XD

Boy, I wish work weren't kicking my butt as of late! I have a lot of thoughts about Swipp's family that I would love to articulate, but I just don't have time to quote everything and bring in all the primary evidence I would like. D: Still, I'm going to do my best to do this prompt justice!

Regarding Swipp himself, I always viewed him as an ambitious and intelligent businessman and traveler. I headcanon that he started the Swap Stand amidst a colony of Faes, and he was determined to expand his horizons as soon as possible when he began getting positive feedback. However, he ran into a bit of a snag. According to the Fae breed article:

The Fae Dragons Article in the Encyclopedia wrote:
When interacting with other breeds [Fae dragons] frequently have difficulty understanding emotion, as the lack of an expressive crest cripples the Fae's ability to read the other dragon's intent. Equally, other species have difficulty reading the Fae; the tiny dragons maintain a monotone when speaking and do not exhibit common body language.

So what did he do? Well, I imagine he went out of his way to learn how to communicate more effectively with dragons of other species! In my headcanon, he expanded his empire by traveling far and wide across Sornieth (which goes with his being a Wind dragon), and in each place, he would try to take notes of how dragons of other species spoke, composed themselves, etc. with aid from the locals. Though it took a lot of practice, he can now speak with some enthusiasm and bounce (as evidenced by his use of exclamation points when he communicates at the Swap Stand), and can better read the intent and emotions of prospective customers. Eventually, he would go on to teach his daughters how to do the same.

With so many years of experience and travel under his belt, Swipp has become a king of upselling and understands the kinds of things customers would be willing to part with in order to engage in trade with him. He likes to keep his trades fair, albeit a bit more to his favor than that of the customers. Still, I imagine he enjoys seeing customers walk away happy with the items they've acquired from him. He feels like it's a sign of a job well done.

Pipp and Tripp, meanwhile, are like night and day. I imagine their father has gone out of his way to extensively train them how to run a business, and both of them -- as evidenced by their various pitches at the Swap Stand -- have taken to his pushing differently.

For Pipp, the opportunity to expand the business and make it more profitable for the family is enthralling! She's better at conveying enthusiasm to dragons of other species than her father, and regularly seeks his approval for her business practices and pitches. The extra 1kt per trade she asks for is to further expand their empire and get better quality products in the future. All in all, she's working hard in order to be named the heir of the family business when the time comes. It's as much her passion as it is her father's.

Meanwhile, Tripp is resentful of the constant training she's been subjected to. She doesn't want to feel like her destiny is chained to the Swap Stand and wishes that she could be free to do her own thing. As such, she tries to "fight the power" by going out of her way to be bad at her job: whining in front of customers, admitting that there's some shadiness in certain pitches, saying she doesn't care if they actually buy anything or not, etc. I believe Tripp hopes that her family will one day be fed up with it and free her from this perceived burden. The extra 2kt she charges may also be part of her effort to seem "unreasonable" as a businesswoman.

As a family dynamic, we don't know a lot about how Swipp views his daughters, but I think it could go one of three ways. First, he could put more stock in Pipp because he's quite aware that she's a good candidate as an heir to his trade, leaving Tripp to sort of deal with the lower ends of customer service as time goes on. Second, he could put more stock in Tripp in an effort to get her more enthusiastic about the family business. This would backfire, as it could make Tripp even more resentful and cause Pipp to perhaps feel insecure, encouraging her to check back with her father often so that he may notice her. Third, he could put equal stock into both of his daughters, hoping to see them both grow but knowing, sadly, that Tripp is no longer interested. Obviously, these are all just my interpretations (and I would love to hear others if you have any!), but I think of these three, the second one is probably my favorite.

Moving on to the sisters! Here are the quotes from Pipp and Tripp that reference each other:

Pipp in Reference to Tripp wrote:
I only have a few left, and it's certainly a better bargain than Tripp will ever offer!

My sister Tripp might enjoy this if she gave it a better shot!
Tripp in Reference to Pipp wrote:
Pipp's way too excited about the family business... She should be selling this [ITEMNAME], not me!

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret Pipp's side. I think it's fair to assume that Tripp is a bit annoyed by Pipp's eagerness, but Pipp is different. On one hand, I can see her words playfully ribbing at Tripp, trying to encourage her to give this a better try in the hopes that she'll grow to like the business in the future. On the other hand, I can see Pipp's words coming from a place of frustration since Tripp seems to be the only one who's disinterested in the Swap Stand. Or maybe it's both? I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this! :D

Pinglist was here.
@Dreamnorn [quote=Dreamnorn][size=1]When interacting with other breeds [Fae dragons] frequently have difficulty understanding emotion, as the lack of an expressive crest cripples the Fae's ability to read the other dragon's intent. Equally, other species have difficulty reading the Fae; the tiny dragons maintain a monotone when speaking and do not exhibit common body language. So what did he do? Well, I imagine he went out of his way to learn how to communicate more effectively with dragons of other species! In my headcanon, he expanded his empire by traveling far and wide across Sornieth (which goes with his being a Wind dragon), and in each place, he would try to take notes of how dragons of other species spoke, composed themselves, etc. with aid from the locals. Though it took a lot of practice, he can now speak with some enthusiasm and bounce (as evidenced by his use of exclamation points when he communicates at the Swap Stand), and can better read the intent and emotions of prospective customers. Eventually, he would go on to teach his daughters how to do the same.[/size] [/quote] [img]https://i.imgur.com/jWVwXA0.png[/img] [quote="Also Aequorin from the QnA"]I thought faes didn't express emotions through facial expressions, yet Swipp and his two daughters are doing just that in the new art. Do faes teach themselves facial expressions in order to communicate with other dragons? Fae do speak in a monotone voice and convey their emotions through elaborate crest gestures; the artwork is intentionally exaggerated for the player's benefit and to make the characters' personalities more relatable. Pipp is very excited, and Tripp is not![/quote] [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation] TLDR: Game mechanics and (Non-lore reading) player friendly design don't apply to lore.[/url] [s]The boring response to this. I see I am quickly becoming the "no fun allowed" robot from archie to this thread.[/s] [img]https://www.hispachanfiles.org/data/g/3440166/thumb/149329123659s.png[/img] [s]So feel free to ignore me and happy head-cannoning.[/s]
@Dreamnorn

Dreamnorn wrote:
When interacting with other breeds [Fae dragons] frequently have difficulty understanding emotion, as the lack of an expressive crest cripples the Fae's ability to read the other dragon's intent. Equally, other species have difficulty reading the Fae; the tiny dragons maintain a monotone when speaking and do not exhibit common body language.

So what did he do? Well, I imagine he went out of his way to learn how to communicate more effectively with dragons of other species! In my headcanon, he expanded his empire by traveling far and wide across Sornieth (which goes with his being a Wind dragon), and in each place, he would try to take notes of how dragons of other species spoke, composed themselves, etc. with aid from the locals. Though it took a lot of practice, he can now speak with some enthusiasm and bounce (as evidenced by his use of exclamation points when he communicates at the Swap Stand), and can better read the intent and emotions of prospective customers. Eventually, he would go on to teach his daughters how to do the same.

jWVwXA0.png
Also Aequorin from the QnA wrote:
I thought faes didn't express emotions through facial expressions, yet Swipp and his two daughters are doing just that in the new art. Do faes teach themselves facial expressions in order to communicate with other dragons?

Fae do speak in a monotone voice and convey their emotions through elaborate crest gestures; the artwork is intentionally exaggerated for the player's benefit and to make the characters' personalities more relatable. Pipp is very excited, and Tripp is not!

TLDR: Game mechanics and (Non-lore reading) player friendly design don't apply to lore.

The boring response to this. I see I am quickly becoming the "no fun allowed" robot from archie to this thread.

149329123659s.png

So feel free to ignore me and happy head-cannoning.
ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
No offense, but if you see that you're ruining other people's fun, maybe you should just stop? I don't understand why you'd post something you openly admit is going to derail other people's enjoyment of the thread and the development of their headcanons. . . .
No offense, but if you see that you're ruining other people's fun, maybe you should just stop? I don't understand why you'd post something you openly admit is going to derail other people's enjoyment of the thread and the development of their headcanons. . . .
Is it possible that the lack of intonation/expression makes them better sales-dragons? Perhaps the inability to use common selling tactics like emotion or other rhetorical devices means they have to rely on honesty and straightforward negotiations, or perhaps this enables them to be the best at negotiating as no one can get a good read on their motives.

I have a Fae who is my clan's representative and her perpetual poker-face is what makes her the best at clan politics: she always has to say exactly what she means, no one can misinterpreter her tone, and her emotions rarely rear their head or become a problem in high-tension situations (unless other fae are present and can read her). I'd like to think the Swipp family is much the same way, but they use this communication issue to make a more even playing field in their bargaining.

This requirement of being straight forward and honest in order to properly communicate might also lead into why Pipp and Tripp act like they do (specifically Tripp and even why she charges more). Pipp, a dragon who is genuinely interested in the family trade, states her enthusiasm directly (or compares her enthusiasm to her sisters). She likely charges less because she's interested in the job itself, and probably brings in more money and customers overall. Likewise, Tripp tells you quite frequently her dislike of the job and more or less lets you know she charges more because she doesn't want to do the work, i.e. if you really want this item, you'd better be willing to pay up for wasting Tripp's time.
Is it possible that the lack of intonation/expression makes them better sales-dragons? Perhaps the inability to use common selling tactics like emotion or other rhetorical devices means they have to rely on honesty and straightforward negotiations, or perhaps this enables them to be the best at negotiating as no one can get a good read on their motives.

I have a Fae who is my clan's representative and her perpetual poker-face is what makes her the best at clan politics: she always has to say exactly what she means, no one can misinterpreter her tone, and her emotions rarely rear their head or become a problem in high-tension situations (unless other fae are present and can read her). I'd like to think the Swipp family is much the same way, but they use this communication issue to make a more even playing field in their bargaining.

This requirement of being straight forward and honest in order to properly communicate might also lead into why Pipp and Tripp act like they do (specifically Tripp and even why she charges more). Pipp, a dragon who is genuinely interested in the family trade, states her enthusiasm directly (or compares her enthusiasm to her sisters). She likely charges less because she's interested in the job itself, and probably brings in more money and customers overall. Likewise, Tripp tells you quite frequently her dislike of the job and more or less lets you know she charges more because she doesn't want to do the work, i.e. if you really want this item, you'd better be willing to pay up for wasting Tripp's time.
RPMyHZU.pngMUYNhfy.pngRPMyHZU.png

WKtl2lb.pngUU9vIu2.pngkBHm00y.pngrix3ppo.png
[quote name="Maliha" date="2018-04-29 10:04:21" ] No offense, but if you see that you're ruining other people's fun, maybe you should just stop? I don't understand why you'd post something you openly admit is going to derail other people's enjoyment of the thread and the development of their headcanons. . . . [/quote] Preach
Maliha wrote on 2018-04-29 10:04:21:

Preach
I imagine Tripp as the annoyed teenager who's best way to get extra money is to work at her dad's store, her younger sister is around more often and wants to be in the business but she can't quite handle it alone yet. Tripp's away more often cause she is actually doing other things, some kind of apprenticeship or buying supplies to get her own trade off the ground, that's why she charges extra. She doesn't get her family's want to hype up stuff like calling it limited addition because she feels it's bad business to lie only to restock the shelves with the same thing later on cause what if they come back and see us hyping up the same thing? Won't that make them feel like they got tricked?
I imagine Tripp as the annoyed teenager who's best way to get extra money is to work at her dad's store, her younger sister is around more often and wants to be in the business but she can't quite handle it alone yet. Tripp's away more often cause she is actually doing other things, some kind of apprenticeship or buying supplies to get her own trade off the ground, that's why she charges extra. She doesn't get her family's want to hype up stuff like calling it limited addition because she feels it's bad business to lie only to restock the shelves with the same thing later on cause what if they come back and see us hyping up the same thing? Won't that make them feel like they got tricked?
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
Awhile back i made a headcanon post about this is a sleep deprived haze just because i liked the pun, lemme see if i can find it... [quote name="Ragnarok42" date="2018-04-15 03:18:07" ] Headcanon that Swipp's mate is a powerful warrior adventurer lady named Ripp, and she's the one who brings back all the stuff they trade. They also have an edgy rebellious eldest son named Nipp who goes with his mother to train for being an adventurer himself because he hates the trading cart it's not a phase dad. Tripp wants to join them too but they feel she's too young. [s]Help me i haven't slept since Monday[/s] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=94&bodygene=0&breed=1&element=3&gender=1&tert=57&tertgene=15&winggene=0&wings=13&auth=6eeaf4734b29eedaaa77c6a695625983216076ac&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=40&bodygene=0&breed=1&element=3&gender=0&tert=154&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=167&auth=3b378940e6c278c368418c0d06b6bc6e47908b59&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/quote]
Awhile back i made a headcanon post about this is a sleep deprived haze just because i liked the pun, lemme see if i can find it...
Ragnarok42 wrote on 2018-04-15 03:18:07:
Headcanon that Swipp's mate is a powerful warrior adventurer lady named Ripp, and she's the one who brings back all the stuff they trade. They also have an edgy rebellious eldest son named Nipp who goes with his mother to train for being an adventurer himself because he hates the trading cart it's not a phase dad. Tripp wants to join them too but they feel she's too young.

Help me i haven't slept since Monday
dragon?age=1&body=94&bodygene=0&breed=1&element=3&gender=1&tert=57&tertgene=15&winggene=0&wings=13&auth=6eeaf4734b29eedaaa77c6a695625983216076ac&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=40&bodygene=0&breed=1&element=3&gender=0&tert=154&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=167&auth=3b378940e6c278c368418c0d06b6bc6e47908b59&dummyext=prev.png
ImLwTCX.png My Dragon Search Thread
[quote name="@Maliha" date="2018-04-29 10:04:21" ] No offense, but if you see that you're ruining other people's fun, maybe you should just stop? I don't understand why you'd post something you openly admit is going to derail other people's enjoyment of the thread and the development of their headcanons. . . . [/quote] It was a playful jab at what I was doing because saying that "oh this is what it is because of X Y Z" would technically be attempting to shoot down people's "ships". To me however it's important to have facts of the cannon to then make better headcannons. Understanding that what is infront of you is designed the way it is because of external reasons helps you better understand and appreciate what you are working with. There for you can then work from the ground up and use headcannons to cover holes in lore due to game divergence. That and I have full faith that people who headcannon hardcore / ignor cannon, will charge on ahead and head cannon anyway, so the facts that I post on the thread are there for others whom may actualy want to try to work with cannon. If I am allowed the time to fully explain myself in more detail; Head cannoning with keeping cannon and gameplay reasons in mind, to me, echoes more a [b]Modernism[/b] perspective of approaching your artwork ((we are all technically authors in my Artist's eye, publishing our work for others to see.)) Wile ignoring all cannon rules and being ignorant would fall you under a [b]Post-Modernism[/b] author. Neither one is bad, but both fundamentally work differently from one another and writers can fall into both categories (I'll give you an example of myself if you stick with me till the end). [center][img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/cc25ade6238c8942311ef7e4e87e5387/tumblr_o142viSl381ugvn07o1_400.jpg[/img][/center] [url=https://youtu.be/gxzKZdTxNp8?t=290]refrence for what I am referencing, [s]and yes I would fall into the category of art students very angrily sending letter written with newspaper clippings of words as the video describes. disbite your views on this content creator as an artist, and as one whom was pushed away of wanting to make videogames growing up because everyone was hyperfocued on the "postmoderizum" trappings, I highly recommend this video for everything inside of it is sound and factual. I practically had to and still do study this stuff for a living after all.[/s][/url]. Modernism headcanon authors would be trying to make [b]everything new[/b] by using cannon as a jumping off point to then make new artwork. New ways of thinking, but all inspired off of the old world of artwork. [i]"Modernism is all about going beyond the way things were done before and coming up with better ways of doing those things"[/i]. To translate this quote into terms that relate to us: "Cannon design of the lore has failed us due to mechanical design conflict, so how can this be retconned with lore only without changing the purpose of why X was designed?" [i]"…this is what modernism is all about. Taking techniques and ideas from previous generations and improving on them. Innovating them, using them in ways to tell bigger and better more expressive and more authentic true to life stories."[/i] This,[b] to my taste [/b], is what head cannoning feels the best and makes for the most solid and enjoyable content. It is done with knowledge of the cannon reasoning. [s]just linking the video to the next important time stamp[/s] [url=https://youtu.be/gxzKZdTxNp8?t=499]However there is a trapping[/url] with the modernism approach to headcannoning. It can only be pushed so far. [i] "In the 1940s (when around modernism ended) post-modernism basically takes all that progress and go-get-'em attitude and innovation from modernism and says 'Nah I'm cool bro'. Basically it's defined as a rejection of modernism, which is a bit hard to grasp. So think about it this way: Modernism defined new kinds of art and mooves all those art techniques forward. Postmodernism says that literally anything can be art because all art is subjective". [/i] Too translate this into something that is relevant to both of us, flight rising and dragons. Me, a filthy [s]casual[/s] Modern Artist/Author: "Technically Faes do not smile, and the only reason why they are smiling in this is to better translate to players whom do not read lore what these characters are like. It's fundamentally great character design for a purpose at the cost of lore." Others who are [s]intellectuals[/s] Post-Modern Artists/Authors: [quote name="@CytricAcid" date="2018-04-27 20:00:31" ] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2426803#post_2426803]A NEW SERIES (Source)[/url] BY YOUR HOST me. • • • Give your fae a smile, even though we ALL know faes don't smile. we're just kidding ourselves. • • • [img]https://i.imgur.com/rSDwjj7.png[/img] LINE THAT FAE. GIVE THAT FAE SOME LINES. [size=6][b]and dont forget the smile[/b][/size][s] even though its canon that faes dont smile and they just stare at you creepily while they flap their frills at you to somehow convey emotion[/s] and that's how you draw faes! [/quote] Me, a filthy [s]casual[/s] Modern Artist/Author responding to the [s]intellectuals[/s] Post-Modern Artists/Authors in that [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2426803#post_2426803]very thread[/url]: [quote][img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/0ac434c0c659444388596b1a73acd272/tumblr_p7wiwk3Qa11slzv9go3_500.png[/img] *draws a fae that is 100% fished eye'd blank faced, angrily shaking their fists at all the new fangled fae generation who dare to smile* [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/a341c18dba09bae0e1826dbe2c5b6bc7/tumblr_p7wiwk3Qa11slzv9go1_500.png[/img] *twice*.[/quote] = = = = = = = = I some times actively agree with people who ignor cannon. Like with Coatls and their language diffrences, and tehnicaly dragons would talk in this strange tonal language if i recall corectly based off of dragons noot having tougnes? e _e. I heard that somewhere once and I'm like "that's not fun to play or even work with, I don't even know what that would even sound like and I'm typing these characters all in my native language anyway. There for they shall speak it.". Untill further knowtest I actively reject that the Spiral in the Bounty of the Element's wind's lore story [b]was not[/b] Windsinger, even though it was confirmed by the devs that it was –infact– [spoiler]the twisting crescendo itself in a spiral body.[/spoiler] And with that I just have to say this: [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qcccZy03s&ab_channel=Jihad193]x[/url]. I do not always reject cannon, but when I do, it's to– i can't think of a way to finish this meme. I just do flat out ignore cannon at times. But yeah, I may be a[size=7][b]"[/b][/size][img]https://www.hispachanfiles.org/data/g/3440166/thumb/149329123659s.png[/img] [size=7][b]"[/b][/size] to others whom may head cannon with zero regard to lore, but my gut tells me that some people do enjoy it when a [size=7][b]"[/b][/size][img]https://www.hispachanfiles.org/data/g/3440166/thumb/149329123659s.png[/img] [size=7][b]"[/b][/size] speaks up, and facts are then brought to their attention and so that they then can work with within limitations. There is that saying that creativity sparks from limitations, so why not provide that for others who do follow that sort of mindset? It wouldn't stop others from doing what they are doing anyway. … So yeah! =D
@Maliha wrote on 2018-04-29 10:04:21:
It was a playful jab at what I was doing because saying that "oh this is what it is because of X Y Z" would technically be attempting to shoot down people's "ships".

To me however it's important to have facts of the cannon to then make better headcannons. Understanding that what is infront of you is designed the way it is because of external reasons helps you better understand and appreciate what you are working with. There for you can then work from the ground up and use headcannons to cover holes in lore due to game divergence.

That and I have full faith that people who headcannon hardcore / ignor cannon, will charge on ahead and head cannon anyway, so the facts that I post on the thread are there for others whom may actualy want to try to work with cannon.

If I am allowed the time to fully explain myself in more detail;
Head cannoning with keeping cannon and gameplay reasons in mind, to me, echoes more a Modernism perspective of approaching your artwork ((we are all technically authors in my Artist's eye, publishing our work for others to see.)) Wile ignoring all cannon rules and being ignorant would fall you under a Post-Modernism author. Neither one is bad, but both fundamentally work differently from one another and writers can fall into both categories (I'll give you an example of myself if you stick with me till the end).
tumblr_o142viSl381ugvn07o1_400.jpg

refrence for what I am referencing, and yes I would fall into the category of art students very angrily sending letter written with newspaper clippings of words as the video describes. disbite your views on this content creator as an artist, and as one whom was pushed away of wanting to make videogames growing up because everyone was hyperfocued on the "postmoderizum" trappings, I highly recommend this video for everything inside of it is sound and factual. I practically had to and still do study this stuff for a living after all..

Modernism headcanon authors would be trying to make everything new by using cannon as a jumping off point to then make new artwork. New ways of thinking, but all inspired off of the old world of artwork. "Modernism is all about going beyond the way things were done before and coming up with better ways of doing those things". To translate this quote into terms that relate to us:
"Cannon design of the lore has failed us due to mechanical design conflict, so how can this be retconned with lore only without changing the purpose of why X was designed?"

"…this is what modernism is all about. Taking techniques and ideas from previous generations and improving on them. Innovating them, using them in ways to tell bigger and better more expressive and more authentic true to life stories."

This, to my taste , is what head cannoning feels the best and makes for the most solid and enjoyable content. It is done with knowledge of the cannon reasoning.

just linking the video to the next important time stamp
However there is a trapping with the modernism approach to headcannoning. It can only be pushed so far.

"In the 1940s (when around modernism ended) post-modernism basically takes all that progress and go-get-'em attitude and innovation from modernism and says 'Nah I'm cool bro'. Basically it's defined as a rejection of modernism, which is a bit hard to grasp. So think about it this way:
Modernism defined new kinds of art and mooves all those art techniques forward.
Postmodernism says that literally anything can be art because all art is subjective".

Too translate this into something that is relevant to both of us, flight rising and dragons.

Me, a filthy casual Modern Artist/Author: "Technically Faes do not smile, and the only reason why they are smiling in this is to better translate to players whom do not read lore what these characters are like. It's fundamentally great character design for a purpose at the cost of lore."

Others who are intellectuals Post-Modern Artists/Authors:
@CytricAcid wrote on 2018-04-27 20:00:31:
A NEW SERIES (Source) BY YOUR HOST

me.

• • •

Give your fae a smile, even though we ALL know faes don't smile. we're just kidding ourselves.

• • •

rSDwjj7.png

LINE THAT FAE. GIVE THAT FAE SOME LINES. and dont forget the smile even though its canon that faes dont smile and they just stare at you creepily while they flap their frills at you to somehow convey emotion

and that's how you draw faes!

Me, a filthy casual Modern Artist/Author responding to the intellectuals Post-Modern Artists/Authors in that very thread:
Quote:
tumblr_p7wiwk3Qa11slzv9go3_500.png
*draws a fae that is 100% fished eye'd blank faced, angrily shaking their fists at all the new fangled fae generation who dare to smile*
tumblr_p7wiwk3Qa11slzv9go1_500.png
*twice*.

= = = = = = = =

I some times actively agree with people who ignor cannon. Like with Coatls and their language diffrences, and tehnicaly dragons would talk in this strange tonal language if i recall corectly based off of dragons noot having tougnes? e _e. I heard that somewhere once and I'm like "that's not fun to play or even work with, I don't even know what that would even sound like and I'm typing these characters all in my native language anyway. There for they shall speak it.".

Untill further knowtest I actively reject that the Spiral in the Bounty of the Element's wind's lore story was not Windsinger, even though it was confirmed by the devs that it was –infact– the twisting crescendo itself in a spiral body.
And with that I just have to say this: x.
I do not always reject cannon, but when I do, it's to– i can't think of a way to finish this meme. I just do flat out ignore cannon at times.

But yeah, I may be a"149329123659s.png " to others whom may head cannon with zero regard to lore, but my gut tells me that some people do enjoy it when a "149329123659s.png " speaks up, and facts are then brought to their attention and so that they then can work with within limitations. There is that saying that creativity sparks from limitations, so why not provide that for others who do follow that sort of mindset? It wouldn't stop others from doing what they are doing anyway.

So yeah! =D
ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
Thanks for sharing your point of view. With that said, I'm not going to meticulously sift through a veritable novel about why you personally believe it's okay to post in such a way that disrupts the thread and inhibits the creativity of the participants of this thread.

There's a lot to be said for concise information rather than a 1000+ word diatribe, in my opinion, which is why my original response to you was short and to the point. I also feel as though all of the images only serve to disrupt rather than explain and kind of make everything pretty jumbled, to be honest.

With that said, in the spirit of not disrupting the thread even further, I'll just reiterate my original comment that you might want to rethink your posting habits if you feel as though you must apologize immediately for the comment in question. And as an aside? As someone who spent years earning literature degrees in both English and Spanish literature, you might want to rethink your references to modernism and post-modernism. You seem to have them a bit confused (or, at the very least, are perhaps attempting to simplify their defining characteristics far too much to be an accurate and valid comparison to this thread).

To everyone else, I apologize for the disruption this has become (I never would have expected a massive 1000+ word reply in response to a very simple observation), and I won't be engaging further. Please continue to create and post your amazing contributions here! I love seeing what you awesomely creative individuals come up with. :)
Thanks for sharing your point of view. With that said, I'm not going to meticulously sift through a veritable novel about why you personally believe it's okay to post in such a way that disrupts the thread and inhibits the creativity of the participants of this thread.

There's a lot to be said for concise information rather than a 1000+ word diatribe, in my opinion, which is why my original response to you was short and to the point. I also feel as though all of the images only serve to disrupt rather than explain and kind of make everything pretty jumbled, to be honest.

With that said, in the spirit of not disrupting the thread even further, I'll just reiterate my original comment that you might want to rethink your posting habits if you feel as though you must apologize immediately for the comment in question. And as an aside? As someone who spent years earning literature degrees in both English and Spanish literature, you might want to rethink your references to modernism and post-modernism. You seem to have them a bit confused (or, at the very least, are perhaps attempting to simplify their defining characteristics far too much to be an accurate and valid comparison to this thread).

To everyone else, I apologize for the disruption this has become (I never would have expected a massive 1000+ word reply in response to a very simple observation), and I won't be engaging further. Please continue to create and post your amazing contributions here! I love seeing what you awesomely creative individuals come up with. :)
1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 46 47