Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Healing magic in lore
1 2 3
I'm kind of curious about this specific thing: how does healing magic work in your lore?

I've read lore where healing magic can literally curse any sickness and mend broken bones, and I've read lore where it's only occasionally used or seen as super rare.

In my lore healing is more of an emergency fix to keep a dreg from dying. It won't cure sicknesses or mend broken bones, but it CAN make sure a dragon is capable to fight for a little while longer (though they'll have to visit a medicine dragon/docter/surgeon afterwards). Pretty much anyone who pursues magic on my lair is capable of learning how to heal according to my lore, but then again my lore is centered around magic a lot so....

Pings not needed, I am subscribed :3
I'm kind of curious about this specific thing: how does healing magic work in your lore?

I've read lore where healing magic can literally curse any sickness and mend broken bones, and I've read lore where it's only occasionally used or seen as super rare.

In my lore healing is more of an emergency fix to keep a dreg from dying. It won't cure sicknesses or mend broken bones, but it CAN make sure a dragon is capable to fight for a little while longer (though they'll have to visit a medicine dragon/docter/surgeon afterwards). Pretty much anyone who pursues magic on my lair is capable of learning how to heal according to my lore, but then again my lore is centered around magic a lot so....

Pings not needed, I am subscribed :3
Art thread (tba)
35EJj0x.png
Kindryte
"Just here to collect silly little dragons in my silly little lair"
Imagine highlighting a forum signature.

Permas are both in my lair and hibden
Magical medicine - one dose, and one spell won't fix everything, it requires steady treatments to work. If the ailment is not major, it's better to let the dragon sweat it out instead to bolster one's immune system - serious diseases require a complex ritual that require intense concentration and may require more than one spellcaster to accomplish.

Healing wounds also takes time, as it accelerates the natural healing process, using the caster's magical energy in place of the body's natural resources, and depending on the complexity of the wound, may take hours of constant casting to mend.
Magical medicine - one dose, and one spell won't fix everything, it requires steady treatments to work. If the ailment is not major, it's better to let the dragon sweat it out instead to bolster one's immune system - serious diseases require a complex ritual that require intense concentration and may require more than one spellcaster to accomplish.

Healing wounds also takes time, as it accelerates the natural healing process, using the caster's magical energy in place of the body's natural resources, and depending on the complexity of the wound, may take hours of constant casting to mend.
havent detailed it that much but in my lore it might be just healing some not really significant damage?
havent detailed it that much but in my lore it might be just healing some not really significant damage?
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
@Zachski
Are those medicine magically enhanced or does the creation of those medicine require knowlege of magic?
@Zachski
Are those medicine magically enhanced or does the creation of those medicine require knowlege of magic?
Art thread (tba)
35EJj0x.png
Kindryte

[quote name="AestheticToaster" date=2018-01-21 02:53:57] @Zachski Are those medicine magically enhanced or does the creation of those medicine require knowlege of magic? [/quote] Sorry, I miscommunicated. I mean that healing magic works [i]like[/i] medicine. Magical medicine itself would either fall under herb lore (a nature dragon specialty) or alchemy.
AestheticToaster wrote on 2018-01-21:
@Zachski

Sorry, I miscommunicated.

I mean that healing magic works like medicine.

Magical medicine itself would either fall under herb lore (a nature dragon specialty) or alchemy.
@Zachski
ah ok that explains it ;3
I think it's an interesting take on how it works~!
@Zachski
ah ok that explains it ;3
I think it's an interesting take on how it works~!
Art thread (tba)
35EJj0x.png
Kindryte

In my lore, healing magic can fully heal most wounds/broken bones/etc. More serious injuries take more work. For these, healing magic can be applied more than once in quick succession, but this puts a lot of strain on the healer and isn't recommended unless there is literally no other alternative. More often, the healing magic is used to make serious injuries less painful, and then other means of medicine do the rest.

Healing potions do exist as well, but aren't usually that effective. They are good for healing extremely small scratches and whatnot, but don't come anywhere near as good as healing magic. There are more powerful potions that come much closer to the strength of a healer, but those are rare and are usually kept exclusively for the coliseum battlers.

With that, there is no way to magically cure sicknesses. Magic can be used to temporarily reverse some of the effects of illnesses, or to give dragons a little extra time to get to a doctor, but magic can't make them go away fully.
In my lore, healing magic can fully heal most wounds/broken bones/etc. More serious injuries take more work. For these, healing magic can be applied more than once in quick succession, but this puts a lot of strain on the healer and isn't recommended unless there is literally no other alternative. More often, the healing magic is used to make serious injuries less painful, and then other means of medicine do the rest.

Healing potions do exist as well, but aren't usually that effective. They are good for healing extremely small scratches and whatnot, but don't come anywhere near as good as healing magic. There are more powerful potions that come much closer to the strength of a healer, but those are rare and are usually kept exclusively for the coliseum battlers.

With that, there is no way to magically cure sicknesses. Magic can be used to temporarily reverse some of the effects of illnesses, or to give dragons a little extra time to get to a doctor, but magic can't make them go away fully.
BigShotModelS3.png
Magic is used to make life threatening injuries or diseases more survivable. Dragon can still die but they have a better chance than without magic.
It's rarely used on less serious things both because of how draining it is on the caster(s) and because in the clan feels that it's good for a dragon to occasionally go through some temporary suffering. Sometimes you get hurt in battle so it's useful to know you can handle pain.
Magic is used to make life threatening injuries or diseases more survivable. Dragon can still die but they have a better chance than without magic.
It's rarely used on less serious things both because of how draining it is on the caster(s) and because in the clan feels that it's good for a dragon to occasionally go through some temporary suffering. Sometimes you get hurt in battle so it's useful to know you can handle pain.
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
I've not really thought about this a whole lot. I exclude healing as it appears in coli mechanics (instant and potentially complete no matter the damage type) from my lore for the most part, even though my lore healer is my coli healer. I'd say probably healing magic in my lore, combined with 'mundane' healing skills, would be about as effective as the best examples of modern medicine, possibly faster for simple injuries but without overall better or worse results.
I've not really thought about this a whole lot. I exclude healing as it appears in coli mechanics (instant and potentially complete no matter the damage type) from my lore for the most part, even though my lore healer is my coli healer. I'd say probably healing magic in my lore, combined with 'mundane' healing skills, would be about as effective as the best examples of modern medicine, possibly faster for simple injuries but without overall better or worse results.
5917.pngtumblr_opq1fv62h41u3wsjco7_100.pngtumblr_inline_nsthp2ksAe1s23g03_540.pngVkRusUJ.png8095.png
Haven't really detailed this out anywhere yet but in my lore I think healing magic would vary?

Like there's quick fixes for emergencies and stuff like scrapes, then longer more detailed procedures for major wounds and things like that once a patient is stabilized. Most of the larger procedures are incredibly draining and require great concentration and precision do properly, and doing it improperly could cause complications and things could heal wrong. Like fixing a broken bone; if the healer doesn't do it right, the bone could be mended incorrectly and either cause complications from then on or it would have to be re-broken to fix it and keep the patient from dealing with the consequences of a misaligned mend. More important, potentially fatal wounds would take more than one healer to fix due to that because the patient could die if something goes wrong or the healer becomes too tired/distracted.

Sometimes healing magic is also used to alleviate the worst pains/other complications caused by old, badly healed injuries. Setting up sessions with a healer is the best way to deal with such things, but unless the wound is reopened/the bone re-broken/etc a healer cannot actually fix the root of the problem.

For my lore, though, healing magic is only used on wounds. Sicknesses and other things that don't belong in the 'injury' category (motion sickness, etc) are treated via herbal medicine or alchemical creations, and sometimes dragons treat pains and things caused by old wounds that way instead of setting up reoccurring healing sessions. Herbal medicines and potions are also used to disinfect wounds before the healers use magic just as a precaution to help the process along without any preventable hiccups.
Haven't really detailed this out anywhere yet but in my lore I think healing magic would vary?

Like there's quick fixes for emergencies and stuff like scrapes, then longer more detailed procedures for major wounds and things like that once a patient is stabilized. Most of the larger procedures are incredibly draining and require great concentration and precision do properly, and doing it improperly could cause complications and things could heal wrong. Like fixing a broken bone; if the healer doesn't do it right, the bone could be mended incorrectly and either cause complications from then on or it would have to be re-broken to fix it and keep the patient from dealing with the consequences of a misaligned mend. More important, potentially fatal wounds would take more than one healer to fix due to that because the patient could die if something goes wrong or the healer becomes too tired/distracted.

Sometimes healing magic is also used to alleviate the worst pains/other complications caused by old, badly healed injuries. Setting up sessions with a healer is the best way to deal with such things, but unless the wound is reopened/the bone re-broken/etc a healer cannot actually fix the root of the problem.

For my lore, though, healing magic is only used on wounds. Sicknesses and other things that don't belong in the 'injury' category (motion sickness, etc) are treated via herbal medicine or alchemical creations, and sometimes dragons treat pains and things caused by old wounds that way instead of setting up reoccurring healing sessions. Herbal medicines and potions are also used to disinfect wounds before the healers use magic just as a precaution to help the process along without any preventable hiccups.
.............ZRFPHFU.png
Amri/Abyss || FR+3 || They/Them
zu5O19Q.png
Lore Thread || Tumblr || Toyhouse
zu5O19Q.png
Wish List || Goal List
DaxXxIb.png
1 2 3