Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Imp Antlers and Lifespans
1 2 3 4
So the encyclopedia tells us that no one knows how long Imps will live for because of how unstable they are. [quote]These dragons have incredibly unpredictable lifespans. Some individuals live only a decade, while others thrive for hundreds of years.[/quote] We also know that their antlers are annually shed and regrown, so what if their antlers grew somewhat proportionally to their lifespan? A ten year old and two hundred year old halfway through their lifespans would have the same sized antlers. They have no defined lifespans as a species, but there are markers to predict how long an individual will live. Imps probably have so much anxiety about this. How would it affect their culture, along with the emperor thing? Imp 1: *notices antlers of another imp who's reached the halfway point* How old are you? Imp 2: *unaware of the markers* Fifteen! Imp 1: *is 500 years old and has only hit the halfway mark* Oh...
So the encyclopedia tells us that no one knows how long Imps will live for because of how unstable they are.
Quote:
These dragons have incredibly unpredictable lifespans. Some individuals live only a decade, while others thrive for hundreds of years.

We also know that their antlers are annually shed and regrown, so what if their antlers grew somewhat proportionally to their lifespan? A ten year old and two hundred year old halfway through their lifespans would have the same sized antlers. They have no defined lifespans as a species, but there are markers to predict how long an individual will live.

Imps probably have so much anxiety about this. How would it affect their culture, along with the emperor thing?

Imp 1: *notices antlers of another imp who's reached the halfway point* How old are you?
Imp 2: *unaware of the markers* Fifteen!
Imp 1: *is 500 years old and has only hit the halfway mark* Oh...
[internal screaming intensifies]
hecate_flipped-_free_pc_lineart_-_lichtdrache.pngtumblr_ohh672qi5s1voq7eio2_r2_100.pngtumblr_ohh672qi5s1voq7eio3_r1_100.pngtumblr_ohh672qi5s1voq7eio4_r1_100.pngtumblr_ohh672qi5s1voq7eio1_r1_100.pnghecate_-_free_pc_lineart_-_lichtdrache.png
That's very interesting and scary in some ways
That's very interesting and scary in some ways
4xTBSTZ.png
That's an interesting idea. Noticing your friend's antlers growing faster than your own would be so sad though :(
I wonder if an imp with extra-fast growing antlers would try to file them down or otherwise disguise their size so their friends and family wouldn't worry.
That's an interesting idea. Noticing your friend's antlers growing faster than your own would be so sad though :(
I wonder if an imp with extra-fast growing antlers would try to file them down or otherwise disguise their size so their friends and family wouldn't worry.
Like if your dragon falls in love with another and they have the same size antlers and her age is only half of his and he's already depressed and scared on how much time their lover has left. It would be horrible is some ways and it's a sign of mental age as well.
Like if your dragon falls in love with another and they have the same size antlers and her age is only half of his and he's already depressed and scared on how much time their lover has left. It would be horrible is some ways and it's a sign of mental age as well.
4xTBSTZ.png
!!

More things to make sad lore with!

YES.
!!

More things to make sad lore with!

YES.
C5V5o0z.png
That's neat, might consider keeping an imp now
That's neat, might consider keeping an imp now
1vAtYxM.png
3EXA1Nv.png
Saddest post I've ever read
*Goes off to hug my imperials*
Saddest post I've ever read
*Goes off to hug my imperials*
9ctT8L5.gif
Do not lose hope, please believe that there are a thousand beautiful things
waiting for you. Sunshine comes to all who feel rain.
[quote name="BezimiennyRaptor" date=2017-09-18 11:21:32] I thought all dragons are immportal oh my god [/quote] Surprise!
BezimiennyRaptor wrote on 2017-09-18:
I thought all dragons are immportal oh my god
Surprise!
hecate_flipped-_free_pc_lineart_-_lichtdrache.pngtumblr_ohh672qi5s1voq7eio2_r2_100.pngtumblr_ohh672qi5s1voq7eio3_r1_100.pngtumblr_ohh672qi5s1voq7eio4_r1_100.pngtumblr_ohh672qi5s1voq7eio1_r1_100.pnghecate_-_free_pc_lineart_-_lichtdrache.png
[quote name="@BezimiennyRaptor" date=2017-09-18 11:21:32] I thought all dragons are immportal oh my god [/quote] Nope. [quote] Question and Answer 18 hopefulkiwi asked: I don’t know if this has been asked already but I was wondering do the dragons have a lifespan of some kind? For our game purposes, dragons’ don’t die. We didn’t want for someone to get a special breed and gene combination that they worked really hard for, leveled up, RP-d with, and grew attached to, only to have it die. I know that some breeding sims have used lifespans to good effect, but we don’t feel it would enhance Flight Rising. Lore-wise they can and do grow old and die. Barring injury, accident, or illness, they do this three ways: They lose magic over time until they have none left and they die. This is rare, but dragons who lose magic over time tend to die early-on, after only a handful of years. A healthy dragon who wasn’t magic-deficient from birth has the potential to be critically injured magically, in which case they may begin a decline and die a few years later, the length of time depending on how much magic potential they had to start with before they began losing the ability to replenish it. They maintain a consistent and healthy level of magic and their bodies are the limiting factor, aging and eventually giving out. This is considered the norm, and is health and breed-dependent. They grow in power as they age, until they have so much magic in them that their physical bodies can’t contain it. These die, and the magic they accumulated returns to the world. Once a dragon reaches a certain threshhold of magic, they die quickly. Until that point, there’s a span between the healthy levels of magic and burn-out that actually extends the lifespan of the dragon. (but if you keep growing past this, your dragon is going to magically explode.) Magically strong dragons have the potential to live the longest, but that potential is very rarely realized. They burn-out brilliantly, and serve as cautionary tales for young drakes. [/quote] Blowing up due to having too much magic, is actually a thing! Don't be power mongers kids.
@BezimiennyRaptor wrote on 2017-09-18:
I thought all dragons are immportal oh my god

Nope.
Quote:

Question and Answer 18
hopefulkiwi asked: I don’t know if this has been asked already but I was wondering do the dragons have a lifespan of some kind?

For our game purposes, dragons’ don’t die. We didn’t want for someone to get a special breed and gene combination that they worked really hard for, leveled up, RP-d with, and grew attached to, only to have it die. I know that some breeding sims have used lifespans to good effect, but we don’t feel it would enhance Flight Rising.

Lore-wise they can and do grow old and die. Barring injury, accident, or illness, they do this three ways:

They lose magic over time until they have none left and they die. This is rare, but dragons who lose magic over time tend to die early-on, after only a handful of years. A healthy dragon who wasn’t magic-deficient from birth has the potential to be critically injured magically, in which case they may begin a decline and die a few years later, the length of time depending on how much magic potential they had to start with before they began losing the ability to replenish it.

They maintain a consistent and healthy level of magic and their bodies are the limiting factor, aging and eventually giving out. This is considered the norm, and is health and breed-dependent.

They grow in power as they age, until they have so much magic in them that their physical bodies can’t contain it. These die, and the magic they accumulated returns to the world. Once a dragon reaches a certain threshhold of magic, they die quickly. Until that point, there’s a span between the healthy levels of magic and burn-out that actually extends the lifespan of the dragon. (but if you keep growing past this, your dragon is going to magically explode.) Magically strong dragons have the potential to live the longest, but that potential is very rarely realized. They burn-out brilliantly, and serve as cautionary tales for young drakes.

Blowing up due to having too much magic, is actually a thing! Don't be power mongers kids.
4QFtgPW.png
[quote]They grow in power as they age, until they have so much magic in them that their physical bodies can’t contain it. These die, and the magic they accumulated returns to the world. Once a dragon reaches a certain threshhold of magic, they die quickly. Until that point, there’s a span between the healthy levels of magic and burn-out that actually extends the lifespan of the dragon. (but if you keep growing past this, your dragon is going to magically explode.) Magically strong dragons have the potential to live the longest, but that potential is very rarely realized. They burn-out brilliantly, and serve as cautionary tales for young drakes.[/quote] Fun fact I killed one of my dragons in a similar way before I knew it was a canon way to die
Quote:
They grow in power as they age, until they have so much magic in them that their physical bodies can’t contain it. These die, and the magic they accumulated returns to the world. Once a dragon reaches a certain threshhold of magic, they die quickly. Until that point, there’s a span between the healthy levels of magic and burn-out that actually extends the lifespan of the dragon. (but if you keep growing past this, your dragon is going to magically explode.) Magically strong dragons have the potential to live the longest, but that potential is very rarely realized. They burn-out brilliantly, and serve as cautionary tales for young drakes.
Fun fact I killed one of my dragons in a similar way before I knew it was a canon way to die
1 2 3 4