Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | An Open letter: To The Arcanist
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[s]Lore buddy ping list: @ArtsyDragon7, @Kawootie, @Reiyn, @GlitterDCMarvel, @WhySoDelirious, @Jakekitty, @Amyatzu, @JadeMagic, @CrystalRush, @Leopardmask, @violalore, @bowserslave, @Ellapinky, @JumpScared, @JadeFlame, @TheElfDruid,@Rinwood,@DiamondNoodles, @3idolon,@Kaibutsu, ,@DarkwingDove, @Shaydas, @ColoradoBlues , @Drakion @ClockworkEclipse, @SleepyChipmunk, @Sabriel415, @DarkVSO, @Cheshly [/s] [b]Hi! it's me, Catti[/b]. [center] [user=11] [/center] Firstly, I would like to appologize for useing you, your greatness as a unit of measurement [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2239281/1]as of my last theory[/url] where I tryed to calculate your approximate sizes. As you can see I dove into a very heated…"state" for a lack of a better term so I hope you can forgive me for that outburst. Secondly I hope this letter will arrive to you vea words of the wind. I trust that perhaps your scholars shall talk about this where by you hear about it and read it on your leisure, no need to send this to you directly. After all I'm just a small little spark in the Shifting Expanse. I rarely see the stars as you so do daily…But when I do see them…like when the clouds needed to be parted ways for one lightning rod because the tower needs to be repaired, I can see but what a glimpse of what you see every day, and it is beautiful. I often wonder what is out there in the great beyond. I'm pretty sure though …no, i know you know at least what planets are out there, ones closest to us. What I am trying to get at is that, you know a lot about what is out there and I was wondering if you could perhaps share that knowledge of what planets are in our solar system. For if you where to do that you would be aiding in dragon kind in one of our greatest discoveries of our generation; Why is Sornieth's gravity so damn light? I know! I know. This question is up to much of it is up to "much scholarly debate" whether or not "it is by magic, or the planets make up of it's core", and off the bat one can come to the conclusion you giving me and the public such information could be considered …[i]unwise[/i],[b]but[/b] [i]if[/i] we know what planet is in our solar system we can then hypothesize, with much more precision, what our core is made out of. And through that, we can then know definitively what the answers is to the age old question to that very heated debate. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/fl5/2223088]We had such this conversation back over in the offices in the lightning flight[/url] But, seeing that you are not stormcatcher, or just a dragon who could go to the security footage and re-watch our conversation, I will be quoting it, verbatim, and numbering off every single "chunk" of this conversation. Brace yourself it is a bit of a long conversation, but if you read this far Arcanist and have not looked back at you're work I hope your intrigued enough with our conversation and at least finish reading it to the end. [quote name="violalore" date=2017-06-30 01:32:16] [user=292462] Hey fellow science flight members. You know what detail about canon is bugging me today? How Sonrieth has a diameter of 1 1/2 Earths but less gravity, and the reasoning is "idk, magic." I mean, I don't know what I expected, but I feel like I'm watching Interstellar again. Or maybe I'm IN Interstellar, trying to "solve gravity"!! But yeah no. How the heck does that work? Instead of a core, does Sonrieth have a literal air bubble? And in case anyone is wondering why I'm so bothered by this: one, I'm just the type of person who's predisposed to get annoyed by details like this. The other is, my lore is about spaceflight. Specifically, my clan's goal is for Sonrieth dragons to land on the this planet of their solar system. This means that, naturally, I want to be able to describe these planets in relation to Sonrieth in my lore, because it doesn't make sense for dragons to be comparing it to Earth. But it's hard to do that when these dragons live on an impossible planet. So yeah... Maybe I'm just uptight but. Oh my god. WHY. DO THEY LIVE ON A REALLY SMALL ICE GIANT? I'M CONFUSED. [/quote] [b]Figure 1[/b] [quote name="Morgus" date=2017-06-30 02:03:39] [user= 316331] @violalore I mean, it could be the other option offered there: that Sornieth is just made of something less dense than Earth. That said, magical interference was enough to make it impossible for the Arcanist to fly near the Pillar, so clearly magic can do something to weird up natural physics re: going up and down. [/quote] [b]Figure 2[/b] [quote name="SilverSkies614" date=2017-06-30 14:30:23] [user= 285866] Maybe the core is actually magic? That would explain why it's less dense/less gravity, but also why the world has magical properties. Perhaps once it was solid, but in the process of defeating the shade it was somehow replaced? [/quote] [b]Figure 3[/b] [quote name="Recko" date=2017-06-30 15:57:48] [user= 248136] As actual planetary science major, it's possible that Sornieth is just less dense than Earth. We can estimate densities of planets farther away by analyzing their chemical makeup-- we have enough data to guess what each planet looks like/how dense it is. This (along with size and other factors) is often how we help to determine whether a planet is rocky or gaseous. [/quote] [b]Figure 4[/b] [quote name="catgame21234" date=2017-06-30 20:20:27] [user= 270144] I was going to contribute to this thread in a scientific manner but everything changed as soon as I saw this line. [quote] does Sonrieth have a literal air bubble?[/quote] and im just [img]http://i.imgur.com/pYTdcGY.png[/img] im sorry …………… [s]now that i think about it would having a dragon rather than a core change the gravity of the planet?[/s] [/quote] [b]Figure 5[/b] [quote name="weazelhound" date=2017-07-01 03:49:43] [user= 153371] [b]Editors note: *in reference to the post above*[/b] pffft [/quote] [b]Figure 6[/b] [quote name="AuraBurn" date=2017-07-01 05:06:45] [user= 307538] @violalore Actually, if Sornieth has a slower rotation than the Earth, then despite its greater size that can drastically decrease the gravity of the planet. Explanation is lots of fancy math that flew over my head when a friend explained something similar for a different planet of the same size. XD [/quote] [b]Figure 7[/b] [quote name="catgame21234" date=2017-07-01 08:33:23] [user= 270144] @violalore actually now thinking about it there are two reasons why the planet may at large have less gravity. There's scientific evidence that we could try to pick at but there's also another reason why [url]http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/22#post_10099746[/url] [quote]Most Snappers would need assistance to reach the Cloudsong; however, Snappers who are Wind Element may be able to lift themselves upward. Those of the Arcane Flight may be able to twist the laws of gravity in their general area.[/quote] [quote]Those of the Arcane Flight may be able to twist the laws of gravity in their general area[/quote] Now I don't know about you but [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/region_arcane.jpg[/img] If a single being alone, implied, is able to rase a significant portion of the world up from the ground. An untold amount of smaller "reactions" of "gravity pocket reactions" are happening all over the world due to other dragons. The lone fact that most likely gravity is going to be reduced because a sizable population and or tasks within this civilization rely on vertical movement to get around, I think would overall would cause the gravity of the planet as a whole to reduce is gravitational pull. Likewise, if all able body arcain users needed to be more grounded they would most likely incress the gravitational pull on the planet. A way to test if the arcane magic theory is true is by asking them all to turn off their powers ad see if it has any effect on the planet but we have no fesabol way of doing that. Question is, how much gravitational pull is needed to cause a something to slowly rise off of the planets surface? I could calculate the mass of the Focal Point and the obsurvatory, at least get a rough estimate [url=www1.flightrising.com/forums/fl5/2110207/1]thanks to this other thread I've made[/url]… ……… outside of arcanist however, another thing i am worryed about is this question; can the deities be so heavy they have their own gravitational pull? I know that sounds werid but hear me out. It is stated in chapter one, quote; [quote="Chapter 1: The First Age"] On the other side of the world, Earth and Fire smashed the landscape to pieces. Each broken mountain or fractured plain only riled the Earthshaker into deeper rage. With one great heave of his front leg, the entire planet wobbled in its orbit, [u]and to this day has remained at an irregular tilt[/u].[/quote] Correct me if I'm wrong but the earth is at a tilt because of our moon impact,or atleast thats our best theory…and ontop of that too the moon does have a gravitational pull as well. If somthing the equivalent to our moon, atleast in terms of force, is on the planet. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/89#mbnew]Aequorin[/url] [quote][quote]A while ago you said that the Arcanist was the smallest deity, but now I'm wondering... who is the largest?[/quote] By length, @Windsinger. By mass, @Earthshaker. The oldest gods are the most massive. @Windsinger, @Earthshaker, @Tidelord, and @Flamecaller manifest the largest physical presences.[/quote] And other moon esk power/forces/size maybe is on our plannet too… [img]http://i.imgur.com/2NaSCDo.png[/img] [size=1]foot note and reminder, Earthshaker is at the most north tip of the world wile flamecaller by looking at the image alone, is NEAR the south most tip of the planet, We can use that to understand how much the plannet is leaning if we streac this map to be on a 3d plain if we compare it to our planet[/size] all in a line like this, excluding windsinger since hes roaming does something like that play an effect? Nothing is said that the gravity was like this back when the shade was attacking? …does rotation of a planet effect gravity? i bring more questions then awsers im sorry but im interested in this [/quote] [b]Figure 8[/b] [quote name="violalore" date=2017-07-01 22:11:38] [user= 292462] I cannot believe the Arcanist broke gravity. Also thanks FR for not notifying me for anything from this thread. Maybe somehow to expel the Shade, the Arcanist temporarily lessened the effect of gravity, and then forgot to fix it? Dammit, Arcanist! [/quote] [b]Figure 9[/b] [quote name="SystemSpliter" date=2017-07-01 23:26:31] [quote name="violalore" date=2017-07-01 22:11:38] Maybe somehow to expel the Shade, the Arcanist temporarily lessened the effect of gravity, and then forgot to fix it? Dammit, Arcanist! [/quote] [user= 117230] An this is why my clan has trust issues with Arcane. They have a reputation for screwing things up. [/quote] [b]Figure 10[/b] [quote name="catgame21234" date=2017-07-03 03:00:04] [user= 270144] @violalore its just a theory! also if you want notifications of a thread click the star at the top. … [quote]Maybe somehow to expel the Shade, the Arcanist temporarily lessened the effect of gravity, and then forgot to fix it? Dammit, Arcanist! [/quote] okay heres the THING tho about that [quote="chapter 3"] The dark spot was now a formidable swath of the sky, and he could make out curious fluctuations along its edges. Tendrils of the deepest black spiraled off; however, there was something even more odd. Although he was closer to his subject, his perception of it still felt skewed. [b]Was it possible that his viewpoint was somehow being warped by the energies emitted by The Pillar? [/b] The Arcanist closed his eyes and focused, meditating deeply within the submersion of the magic emanating from the summit. He felt it shift, glowing, growing, and receding. The drake began to pull at it, each inhale absorbing more and more of the ether. He then opened his eyes. It was much clearer now. The distortion that had obscured his observance of the void had all but vanished. He took a few moments to closely examine the darkness, soon discovering that it was shifting in accordance to his own movement. When he lifted an arm, smoky tendrils sprouted from the black cloud and spiraled outward in a beautifully fractal dance. If he arched his back, the blackness echoed and bent. This was communion with the heavens, a gift that he had only dreamed of. [b]From this perch, the Arcanist felt he could command the universe itself.[/b] [/quote] The 8 gods in that pillar put all their energy and hell bodies into that dam thing right? Not one of them one of them controls gravity. The only one who'd be closest to that would theoretically be earthshaker. When arcanist was ontop of the pillar, i do not know how "high" he was in [img]For days he climbed, eyes focused on the tightly-rounded horizon that was his goal. Mistral tufts brushed his aching body, and for several hours the young god was lost in a soup of dark, rumbling thunderclouds. He made his best progress at night, when the void was most prominent in the sky. It was growing larger, but he could not determine if he was getting any closer. At long last, the Pillar ended. Digging his claws into the flattened crown, and with a final exhausting heave, he pulled his body onto the cold, unforgiving stone and collapsed. He slumbered, wrapped within the protection of his wings. The air at the apex was frigid, and an immense pressure pulsed at his temples, but there he remained until night inevitably fell. But he deffently climbed up high enough to manipulate something in the atmosphere is my best guest. The "ward" acted as a bubble to keep the shade out, and he basicaly made a hole in it. He pushed the bubble around so that the shade found a weak point. [img]http://www.flightrising.com/images/wiki/thirdage/image5.jpg[/img] and popped it … … wait… wait hold on… wiat a second i think i got it OKay so the pillar is at the most north part of the world right? the impact of that blast that caused chunks of a pillar to be flung across the world HAD to have had an impact on the planets rotation would impact gravity. This is akin to a fanomina i remember reading about a lot back in the day where a dam in china slowed down the earths rotation about like 0.1 of a second because of how much it was holding back. My numbers are off, But when IDK…earthquake…the damn broke when the dam broke it spun the earth back to its normal rotation once more. I am talking so much about spinning because in our world a plannet spinning does have effects on the gravity. from just simplegoogle surching it is a "small " effect but still AN effect. now we dont know if the plannet is spinning to the left or right. but which ever way the planet is spinning But perhaps the shade made the place spin faster with that magintude of a hit. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/earth_3.png[/img] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/map_earth.png[/img] [img]http://www.flightrising.com/images/wiki/thirdage/image5.jpg[/img] From the artwork we can infur that the shade came in swinging with a hook left rather than striking like a hammer head onto the pillar (from its POV of corse). Meaning that if the planet now is rotating at a counter clockwise fasion.already it could theoreticaly be spinning faster. not a whole lot. And from what little i know about the effect spinning has on gravity, objects that are closer to the polls of the planet are their "true weight" but anything near the equator is is lighter than its actual weight …… i dont know if you have seen the map but where is arcanist's land located? Kinda on the equator. And where are all the most populated areas located on this planet? more or less on the equator meaning it feeds into the theory i had before of arcain dragons also being an aiding cause but the kickstarter to all this was arcanist setting shop on the equator Earthshaker staying shop at the north part of the world and staying the most greounded (HE IS THE BIGGEST GOD) and the effect of the shade smacking the planet so hard it caused a pillar to explode which aggin is akin to a fanomina that happend on planet earth in china with a dam that was so huge it slowed (and sped up when it finaly burst) earth's rotaiton by 0.1 second. So the cause of this was both science AND magic with arcains now just incressing the problem more and more every day, literally. [quote][center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/arcane_2.png[/img] Once a low island, Focal Point now threatens to tower over even the Crystalspine Mountains. The earth here longs to join the sky, pulling upwards in cascading towers of rock and crystal. The vast energies at play affect the outer lands and make the skies a dangerous litter of resources sent in to feed the Observatory. The true threats, however, to those living here are the strange, alien creatures riding the meteors that rain upon the land... [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/arcane_3.png[/img] Sitting atop the highest reaches of Focal Point, the Observatory stands lonely, its Eye of Many Lenses staring deep into the darkest quadrants of space. The Arcanist broods by candlelight within as his four frail arms feverishly scribble the knowledge of the cosmos into ancient tomes of countless pages. Forbidden words rolling off of enchanted tongues echo through the the archaic structure bound in runes formed through years of applied magical sciences. [/center] [/quote] [quote="the QnA to lazy to link atm its so latei should be sleeping oh god help me"] Has the Arcanist ever considered literally ascending into space to observe it directly? ----------- He's tried a time or two, but after the whole Pillar-shattering situation and the eyes of his followers upon him, he's been playing it a bit more safely by observing and augmenting his telescopes.[/quote] The arcanist, maybe not even aware of it, [s]WHICH WOULD BE HIGHLY FITTING BY THE WAY[/s], Is continusly constently messing with the gravity of his domain to get higher and higher into space. But he is failing to relize that wile doing that in THE VERY location he is in is amplifying the natural and scientific phenomena of centripetal force acting on our planet with his that was already thrown out of balance when the shade attacked it. … wow thanks Arcanist ._.;; [quote name="SystemSpliter" date=2017-07-01 23:26:31] [quote name="violalore" date=2017-07-01 22:11:38] Maybe somehow to expel the Shade, the Arcanist temporarily lessened the effect of gravity, and then forgot to fix it? Dammit, Arcanist! [/quote] An this is why my clan has trust issues with Arcane. They have a reputation for screwing things up. [/quote] No true-er words have ever been spoken @SystemSpliter …wait but…BUT IF THIS IS THE CASE THEN I AM ABSOLUTLY FLABORGASTED THAT ALL THE BEAST CLAN ARE NOT ALL DEAD AND DRAGONS THE ONLY LIFE THERE DUE TO THEM UNABE TO HANDEL THE VIOLENT AND SUDDEN GRAVITY SHIFT THAT THE [s]GODS[/s] THAT ARCANIST ANDTHE SHADE EXIRTED ON THIS PLANET IN SUCH A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME, WITH IN THE TIMESPAN OF THIS PLANET TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION. THE REAL QUESTION WE SHOULD BE ASKING INSTED OF THE GOD DAMNED (LITERALLY) GRAVITY OF THIS PLANET IS [center][item=Old World Rabbit] [size=5]WHAT THE !@#$ ARE THESE RABBITS MADE OUT OF AND HOW DID THEY SURVIVE THIS !@#$ING LONG[/size][/center] editors note I randomly foundout that arcanist is a stingy bastard who is hiding all the documentation of how many planets are in Sorneiths system to himself and his exulted, and that the planet has [b]2 moons[/b]. That hoe. http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/77#post_12654994 [b]The Pillar is immense; the top nearly brushed the inner atmosphere of the planet. [/b] WE HAVE A RULER BOYS WE CAN MEASURE ANYTHING NOW IF WE BRAKE THAT BABY DOWN TO EIGTHS. I KINDA WANT SOMEONE TO DO THAT MATH FOR ME THO DAMN IT X,D; edit edit [quote name="violalore" date=2017-07-01 22:11:38] I cannot believe the Arcanist broke gravity. [/quote] god i started to type this as a playful theory not wanting to shift blame to the poor guy YET IM BACK WHERE WE STARTED WHY YOU DO THIS ARCANIST WHY and considering he is the embodyment of magical gravity this adds just 50 lairs of irony to me. Arcanist is [b]broken[/b]. [/quote] [b]Figure 11[/b] [quote name="catgame21234" date=2017-07-03 11:29:37] [user= 270144] hold on im gonna just try to see what sort of gravity we have. How can we even talk about this subject if we dont know the actual gravitational pull on the planet in the first place? Everything past this point untill stated oherwise is just notes ------------- how much gravity force is on the earth? [b]9.807 m/s² [/b] Mass: 5.972 × 10^24 kg Radius: 3,959 mi Density: 5.51 g/cm³ Orbital period: 365 days and im going to botch up science hard.… http://flightrising.wikia.com/wiki/Sornieth [indent]Sornieth's day and year length are similar to Earth's[2], meaning that there are around 24 hours in a day and 365 days in a year[/indent] [quote]How is time seen in Sornieth? Is one Sornieth-day and year equal to Earth time? How many decades/centuries/millennia have passed since the Third Age? --------------- For purposes of [b]gameplay[/b], Sornieth days and years are about on par with Earth time, as this makes them more relatable to players. However, dragons grow from a hatchling to an adult in a matter of weeks, [b]so while the calendar year is taken into account with Flight Holidays and the like, lorewise, many measurements are considerably longer.[/b] [/quote] …what does that mean "longer". [indent] Sornieth also has the same rotational direction as Earth[/indent] [quote]Does the sun rise in the east? Or from another direction? --------------- Sornieth has the same rotational direction as Earth, so sunrises happen in the east! [/quote] [indent][b] The planet's radius is roughly one and a half times larger than Earth's [/b][/indent] [indent] [b]and has slightly less gravity[/b][/indent] Slightly less… https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/large.html https://sciencebits.wordpress.com/2008/08/26/what-if-gravity-was-weaker-or-stronger/ [quote="Just Six Numbers"] Gravitation is feebler than the forces governing the microworld by the number N, about 10^36. What would happen if it weren’t quite so weak? Imagine, for instance, a universe where gravity was ‘only’ 10^30 rather than 10^36 feebler than electric forces. Atoms and molecules would behave just as in our actual universe, but objects would not need to be so large before gravity became competitive with the other forces. The number of atoms needed to make a star (a gravitationally bound fusion reactor) would be a billion times less in this imagined universe. Planet masses would also be scaled down by a billion. Irrespective of whether these planets could retain steady orbits, the strength of gravity would stunt the evolutionary potential on them. In an imaginary strong-gravity world, even insects would need thick legs to support them, and no animals could get much larger. Gravity would crush anything as large as ourselves. Galaxies would form much more quickly in such a universe, and would be miniaturized. Instead of the stars being widely dispersed, they would be so densely packed that close encounters would be frequent. This would in itself preclude stable planetary systems, because the orbits would be disturbed by passing stars — something that (fortunately for our Earth) is unlikely to happen in our own Solar System. [u] But what would preclude a complex ecosystem even more would be the limited time available for development. Heat would leak more quickly from these ‘mini-stars’: in this hypothetical strong-gravity world, stellar lifetimes would be a million times shorter. Instead of living for ten billion years, a typical star would live for about 10,000 years.[/u] A mini-Sun would burn faster, and would have exhausted its energy before even the first steps in organic evolution had got under way. Conditions for complex evolution would undoubtedly be less favourable if (leaving everything else unchanged) gravity were stronger. [u]There wouldn’t be such a huge gulf as there is in our actual universe between the immense timespans of astronomical processes and the basic microphysical timescales for physical or chemical reactions[/u]. [u]The converse, however, is that an even weaker gravity could allow even more elaborate and longer-lived structures to develop.[/u] Gravity is the organizing force for the cosmos… [It] is crucial in allowing structure to unfold from a Big Bang that was initially almost featureless. [u]But it is only because it is weak compared with other forces that large and long-lived structures can exist[/u]. Paradoxically, [u]the weaker gravity is (provided that it isn’t actually zero), the grander and more complex can be its consequences[/u]. We have no theory that tells us the value of N. [b]All we know is that nothing as complex as humankind could have emerged if N were much less than 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.[/b] (ignoring bold because we need intelligent life akin to humans to evolve on the planet, and this whole thought experiment is viewing sornieth through a Science Fiction or "realism" lens and not Science fantasy. That and also i shall refrence Clarke's three laws) [quote="Martin Rees"] "All we know is that [b]nothing as complex as humankind could have emerged 'from lower amount of gravitational force than our own'[/b]. [/quote] Clarke's three laws: [size=1]foot note for myself: Arthur C. Clarke is a science fiction writer …i really dont know why i just typed this down i just felt like it.[/size] [b]First law:[/b] When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong. [b]Second law:[/b] The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. [quote="Aequorin"]Whether that's due to its mass and the make-up of its core or the influence of magical fields is still a matter of draconic debate![/quote] [b]Third law:[/b] Any sufficiently advanced technology [b](and there for alien science)[/b] is indistinguishable from magic. _____ just because we say it is magic and the other beings on Sornieth say it is magic it does not mean that their definition of magic = our definition of magic. For example. [indent][quote="Chapter 3"] The Arcanist closed his eyes and focused, meditating deeply within the submersion of the magic emanating from the summit. He felt it shift, glowing, growing, and receding. The drake began to pull at it, each inhale absorbing more and more of the [b]ether[/b]. He then opened his eyes. [/quote] [/indent] [b]ether[/b] to us: in it's arcaic deffinition: [i]a very rarefied and highly elastic substance formerly believed to permeate all space, including the interstices between the particles of matter, and to be the medium whose vibrations constituted light and other electromagnetic radiation. [/i] To arcanist's perspective: Ether is / was THE substance that permeated all space. [/quote] [b]the weaker gravity is (provided that it isn’t actually zero), the grander and more complex can be its consequences[/b] http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/1242993/1 [indent]The breed and gene change scrolls can be considered an abstraction, [u]though the gods reshaping dragons is not uncommon[/u]. Most progenitors are likely to have parents, though [b]gameplay[/b] does not express this, as that is how we introduce new bloodlines into the game and provide players with the opportunity to design their own unrelated dragons. Parentless eggs are considered orphaned, but may be adopted by a clan.[/indent] [indent] So, dragon size? How does it work? Why are they all listed as different sizes but everything looks the same? [b]For you, as the user accessing the site through your internet browser, your dragons, eggs, and nests all visually appear to be similar sizes for ease of use and consistency[/b]. As for their actualsize, there's a bit of imagination/magic involved to sell that. [u]Eggs would likely be a size that makes sense for the dragon who is producing it, and grow [b](or shrink)[/b] to accommodate the dimensions of the hatchling inside. [/u][/indent] weaker gravity = more complex [indent]The size of Sornieth is larger than Earth (roughly one and a half times the radius). It has slightly less gravity. [b]Whether that's due to its mass and the make-up of its core or the influence of magical fields is still a matter of draconic debate![/b][/indent] …evolution……magic… maybe death plays a role… in adding into the magical feilds.…the gods did die for "their" sins when they created the pillar, a magical ward that acted as a forcefeild…maybe there could be a green house gas effect going on here that could exsplain it… [indent][quote="the FR Tumblr QnA"]hopefulkiwi asked: I don’t know if this has been asked already but I was wondering do the dragons have a lifespan of some kind? ---------- For our [b]game purposes[/b], dragons’ don’t die. Lore-wise they can and do grow old and die. Barring injury, accident, or illness, they do this three ways: They lose magic over time until they have none left and they die. This is rare, but dragons who lose magic over time tend to die early-on, after only a handful of years. A healthy dragon who wasn’t magic-deficient from birth has the potential to be critically injured magically, in which case they may begin a decline and die a few years later, the length of time depending on how much magic potential they had to start with before they began losing the ability to replentish it. They maintain a consistent and healthy level of magic and their bodies are the limiting factor, aging and eventually giving out. This is considered the norm, and is health and breed-dependent. They grow in power as they age, until they have so much magic in them that their physical bodies can’t contain it. These die, and the magic they accumulated returns to the world. Once a dragon reaches a certain threshhold of magic, they die quickly. Until that point, there’s a span between the healthy levels of magic and burn-out that actually extends the lifespan of the dragon. (but if you keep growing past this, your dragon is going to magically explode.) Magically strong dragons have the potential to live the longest, but that potential is very rarely realized. They burn-out brilliantly, and serve as cautionary tales for young drakes. [/quote][/indent] …i need to tacke the magic later………what was I doing before? … oh lets calculate how big this plannet is. = = = = = = Earth's specs [LIST] [*]Gravitational force: 9.807 m/s^² [*]Mass: 5.972 × 10^24 kg [*]Radius: 3,959 mi [*]Diameter: 7,918 mi [*]Density: 5.51 g/cm³ [*]Orbital period: 365 days [*]Moon(s): 1 [/LIST] Sornieth's specs (known to me) [LIST] [*]Gravitational force: ??? [*]Mass: ??? [b] Will assume that Sornieth is made the same way earth is.[/b] [*]Radius: 5,939 mi [*]Diameter: 11878 mi [*]Density: ??? [b]Will assume that Sornieth is made the same way earth is.[/b] [*]Orbital period: 365 days [*]Moon(s): 1 or 2 [size=2]"(Sornieth) does boast one to two modestly-sized moons" [b]I shall asume two earth sized moons[/b][/size] [/LIST] [quote=Wiki] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth [size=0]The precise strength of Earth's gravity varies depending on location. The nominal "average" value at the Earth's surface, known as standard gravity is, by definition,[2] 9.80665 m/s^2 (about 32.1740 ft/s^2). This quantity is denoted variously as gn, ge (though this sometimes means the normal equatorial value on Earth, 9.78033 m/s^2), g0, gee, or simply g (which is also used for the variable local value). The weight of an object on the Earth's surface is the downwards force on that object, given by Newton's second law of motion, or F = ma (force = mass × acceleration). Gravitational acceleration contributes to the total acceleration, but other factors, such as the rotation of the Earth, also contribute, and, therefore, affect the weight of the object. [/size][/quote] Earth's gravitational force (including [b]1[/b] moon) (((assumed))) [LIST] [*]Gravitational force: 9.807 m/s^² [/LIST] Earth's gravitational force (including [b]0[/b] moons) (((assumed))) [LIST] [*]Gravitational force: 9.807 m/s^² [b](?????)[/b] [/LIST] Sornieth's gravitational force (including [b]0[/b] earth sized moons) (((assumed))) [b]ignoring "magic" looking at only the planet itself mathematically with no outside influences [s]arcanist[/s][/b] [LIST] [*]Gravitational force: ?? [/LIST] Sornieth's gravitational force (including [b]1[/b] earth sized moon) (((assumed))) [b]ignoring "magic" looking at only the planet itself mathematically with no outside influences [s]arcanist[/s][/b] [LIST] [*]Gravitational force: ?? [/LIST] Sornieth's gravitational force (including [b]2[/b] earth sized moons) (((assumed))) [b]ignoring "magic" looking at only the planet itself mathematically with no outside influences [s]arcanist[/s][/b] [LIST] [*]Gravitational force: ?? [/LIST] --------------------- --------------------- ------------------- ----------------- [size=5]Can someone do this math for me please? I can't continue theorizing the "magic" side of this until I'm grounded in some sort of "fact" and frankly I have no idea what I am doing I'm just an artist who likes science and math, not a scientist nor mathetition. [/size] [u]…by the end of this and after doing the calculations; if the gravitational force is x > 9.807 m/s^² then that shows that magical forces are in play. If the gravitational force is x < 9.807 m/s^² then it is the "its mass and the make-up of its core" that is the causation of the weak gravitational force.[/u] [size=1][s]@violalore help me please[s][/size] … wait does gravity even come from earths core? >googles my trip into hell …… let's just go with "yes". [/quote] [b]Figure 12[/b] [quote name="violalore" date=2017-07-03 13:10:03] [user=292462] Jesus Christ. That's all I can say. I never expected anyone to take this seriously. Well done @catgame21234 Maybe after I'm done with my stats hw I can do some calculations but megghhhhhhhh I'm so bad with math, maybe someone else should give it a go [/quote] [b]Figure 13[/b] [quote name="catgame21234" date=2017-07-03 13:55:40] [user= 270144] Every time we talk or i see you post a theory we end up being here in a place like this. You should expect this by now. [i]But listen man[/i], help me finish what [i]you[/i] started. It's like when an accident happens in a public area, you don't asume someone will call 911 you ask someone to call 911. Because then if you don't, everyone around you would assumed someone else is calling 911. And i'm asking you to be my 911 caller. @violalore, You asked a question. and i want to give a response. A response that isn't Plaguebringer stuffing Windsinger in the core of the planet because she's sick of him already. Or a response that is just pointing fingers at Arcanist cause "lol memes". I want my finger pointing to be [b]JUSTIFIED,[/b] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Yk0P6DU.gif[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/MCypb2i.gif[/img] [i]JUSTIFIED WITH [b]SCIENCE![/b][/i] [/quote] [b]Figure 14[/b] [quote name="Erra" date=2017-07-03 14:10:59] [user= 40957] [img]http://oi66.tinypic.com/1556qv8.jpg[/img] Other than that, no clue. [/quote] [b]Figure 15[/b] [quote name="violalore" date=2017-07-03 14:28:01] [user= 292462] I AM SCREAMING I BET THIS IS CANON [/quote] [b]Figure 16[/b] [quote name="catgame21234" date=2017-07-03 18:09:05] [user= 270144] STOP STEALING MY JOKES @Erra X,,,D OH MY GOD THE FONT. edit >re reading thread >sees you do this stuff for a living @Recko RECKO SCROLL UP AND LOOK AT MY MATH PLEASE I NEED HELP [/quote] [b]Figure 17[/b] [quote name="Erra" date=2017-07-03 20:10:40] [user= 40957] Heck, maybe I can do something with this math. @catgame21234 I'll give it a shot :) So, the requirements are that: 1.5re=rs (Sornieth has a radius that is 1.5x larger than Earth's own radius) ge>gs (Earth has a greater force of gravity than Sornieth--supposedly only slightly more) Here's the formula we have for density in relation to mass and volume: p (density)=m/V Earth Volume: 1.082 x 10^21 m³ Earth Mass: 5.972 × 10^24 kg Earth Density: 5.52 x 10^3 kg/m³ Earth Radius: 6,371,000 m If you insert the above numbers into the equation (sans radius), they should work out. Okay, so for Sornieth. The volume can be calculated using 4/3pi*r^3. Since the radius is 1.5 that of Earth's (9,556,500 m), the volume is 4/3pi*(9.556*10^6)^3= 3.656*10^21 m^3 As for mass and density... That's where we run into the problem; in order to calculate one, we need the other! All is not lost however; with volume out of the way, the density equation above can be graphed like so: p=m/3.656*10^21 Unfortunately it's rather bland due to the huge size difference between density and mass, but I can still locate coordinates on it (such as in the picture above). I picked a reasonable coordinate: The y value / density is slightly lower than Earth's, which would contribute to a slightly lower gravity (though I recognize there are other variables that contribute to gravity), but not so low that there's an insane difference between Sornieth's mass and that of Earth's (assuming the above coordinate, it would be 3.366 times more "massive" than Earth). Of course, this assumes the density. However, the actual density and mass of Sornieth would probably lie along the above graph somewhere close to that coordinate, if my calculations are correct. Then again, maybe the Arcanist is just playin' us all. [/quote] [b]Figure 18[/b] [quote name="catgame21234" date=2017-07-03 20:28:23] [user= 270144] @Erra okay so just to get you right girl. Earth Volume: 1.082 x 10^21 m³ Earth Mass: 5.972 × 10^24 kg Earth Density: 5.52 x 10^3 kg/m³ Earth Radius: 6,371,000 m Sornieth Volume: 3.656*10^21 m^3 Sornieth Mass: 5.498*10^3 kg Sornieth Density: 2.01*10^25 Sornieth Radius: 9,556,500 m these your numbers? [/quote] [b]Figure 19[/b] [quote name="Recko" date=2017-07-03 20:48:42] [user= 248136] So this is more geology/physics than planetary science (which focuses on remote observation) but.... [img]http://i.imgur.com/2SQwkyj.jpg[/img] Essentially, since the radius increases by 1.5, the overall density of the planet needs to decrease. So here's what I've done with my official MIT education. Justify dragon planets. Water: MUCH more water-- besides the continent of Sornieth, Sornieth would essentially be a water world. Oceans are SCARY deep. Marianas trench is almost 10km deep-- think MUCH deeper than that-- 100 maybe? Water starts to form heavy ice--not cold, but a solid-- at such depths/pressures. Ice is very ordered compared to normal ice. Sornieth land mass would be the thickest part of the crust-- might be the only land on the planet. More Mantle: Not sure what this might do, except possibly mean that core size is reduced. Since magnetic field is generated from core, this might reduce magnetic field slightly-- allowing slightly more radiation to permeate planet. Scales and carapaces should be effective than skin at radiation shielding. Life might adapt to higher levels of radiation-- explaining strange abilities and some 'magic.' More mantle might increase seismic activity, but might be counteracted with more crust-- not sure. Core: Besides less core, a lighter core might help. Metal would still need to be conductive, though, if we want a magnetic field (HINT: we do). To aid flight on a much bigger planet gravity slightly less than ours: Atmosphere-- would be thicker than ours. Life possibly breathes something other than oxygen. Life has hollow/porous bones to further reduce self weight. Suggestion for planet formation: Sornieth was formed further out in the solar system (think Jupiter distance) where formation materials are lighter and less dense. Then it was thrown inward by a gas giant's gravitational influence (think slingshot) and found a stable orbit around its sun. [/quote] [b]Figure 20[/b] [quote name="Erra" date=2017-07-03 22:05:48] [user= 40957] @catgame21234 Sornieth Mass: 2.01*10^25 kg Sornieth Density: 5.498*10^3 kg/m^3 Your mass and density values for Sornieth just need to be switched around, but other than that, yep :) To recap my methods: Sornieth's volume can be calculated with fair accuracy using radius, the density is my guesstimate based on lore info, and the mass is calculated using the volume and assumed density. The second assumption is that gravity is solely dependent on the planet's density. The moon's gravitational pull likely also has an impact on the gravity (however slight), but I don't really want to bother messing with any more unknown variables XD [/quote] [b]Figure 21[/b] [quote name="Erra" date=2017-07-03 22:12:11] [user= 40957] @Recko This is why I love lightning flight. Also: "More Mantle: Not sure what this might do, except possibly mean that core size is reduced. Since magnetic field is generated from core, this might reduce magnetic field slightly-- allowing slightly more radiation to permeate planet. Scales and carapaces should be effective than skin at radiation shielding. Life might adapt to higher levels of radiation-- explaining strange abilities and some 'magic.' More mantle might increase seismic activity, but might be counteracted with more crust-- not sure." I want that to be canon. [/quote] [b]Figure 22[/b] [quote name="Recko" date=2017-07-03 22:18:10] [user= 248136] @Erra It's why I joined. Woot woot science. I'm actually currently working at an observatory right now (an asteroid, 1428 Mombasa, is occulting a star tomorrow at 3 am). Also, yeah. I try to theoretically explain away any 'magic' I can. It's usually some BS... but hey. It's fun. [/quote] [b]Figure 23[/b] [quote name="Erra" date=2017-07-03 22:24:19] [user= 40957] @Recko Sweet :D I've been waiting for the August solar eclipse for like, 2 years now (I've never seen one before noticed them when they've happened in the past). I'm headed to a university with an observatory, so I can probably pick up some glasses from there to view it. My major is going to be in Molecular and Cellular Bio :) [/quote] [b]Figure 24[/b] [quote name="catgame21234" date=2017-07-03 22:27:13] [user= 270144] hold on guys im typing a huge wall of text @Recko sit down Quote: This is why I love lightning flight. @Erra my thoughts exactly. [/quote] [b]Figure 25[/b] [quote name="catgame21234" date=2017-07-03 23:05:52] [user= 270144] @Recko @Erra I love this flight, sweet storm, i love this flight. now to fact (lore?) check your propositions @Recko [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdpGAx1XqpM&ab_channel=BrawlBRSTMs3X]time to tap into my old mafia background music for maximum theory crafting potential.[/url] [quote]Water: MUCH more water-- besides the continent of Sornieth, Sornieth would essentially be a water world. Oceans are SCARY deep. Marianas trench is almost 10km deep-- think MUCH deeper than that-- 100 maybe? Water starts to form heavy ice--not cold, but a solid-- at such depths/pressures. Ice is very ordered compared to normal ice. Sornieth land mass would be the thickest part of the crust-- might be the only land on the planet. [/quote] Well it is a Sornieth supercontinent and that fact is supported by lightweaver's tower discription. [quote][center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/light_3.png[/img] [b]The Beacon of the Radiant Eye[/b] A crumbled, but welcoming tower that resides on the eastern seaboard. From this cliff, the Lightweaver watches and waits for any dragon that may be making a trip across the sea. [/center][/quote] However the biggest worry that comes from a water planet are the massive storms (hue) that can be generated from endless seas. I'm talking hurricanes. We would need natural deffences to keep the landmass safe and keep it above water. Because i theorize with it being a "water world" the storms that are generated out of the sea, if it where able to cut thorugh the super conenet in half then the storm would just rap around the plannet, never once stopping, and growing stronger to drown us all thorugh the second run through. Espeicaly with the massive water sorce we have in the center. once a huricain or storm thats strong enough gets in there in the sea of a thousand curents its game over for our world. Luckly for us we do have sevral deffences that are as follows: [center][quote][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/arcane_0.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/arcane_1.png[/img] [b]Crystalspine Reaches and Starwood Strand[/b] Along this former shoreline, the trees stretch skyward and grow taller than anywhere else ------ The peaks now curve inward, pointing directly toward the Observatory and creating a concave and sheltered realm for younger flights [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/earth_0.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/earth_1.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/earth_2.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/earth_3.png[/img] [b]Literally all of dragonhome have you seen that flat dry place full of rock and mountains?. [/b] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/nature_3.png[/img] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/nature_2.png[/img] [b]The Behemoth and Shrieking Wilds[/b] The dense, jungly overgrowth of the Shrieking Wilds cloaks the land in darkness even during the day --------- An enormous tree at the heart of the maze. Some say that the Gladekeeper herself lives within its great trunk, while others believe that the tree itself is grown into her mighty flank. So colossally does it rise, that it is visible from nearly every horizon in the world, a reminder of the power of unbridled life. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/fire_3.png[/img] [b]The Great Furnace[/b] Anchored into the thick, glassy obsidian by immense drills, a mighty platform perches over the crater of the continent's largest and most active volcano [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/light_3.png[/img] [b]The Beacon of the Radiant Eye[/b] It is an important vantage point; she can survey the golden rolling hills speckled with ruins and redwoods, and see everywhere the light touches. [b]And last but deffently the best;[/b] [img]http://i.imgur.com/RH3NYO4.png[/img] [b]The man whom needs no introduction[/b] [/quote] [/center] [img]http://i.imgur.com/itdsRdk.png[/img] This coveres nearly every single point on our supercontinent protcting it from storms that could come whatever which way. …all but one. . . [img]http://i.imgur.com/IgKCp7e.png[/img] [quote][center] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/wind_2.png[/img] [b]The Twisting Crescendo[/b] The final trial of the Windsinger's children is a powerful vortex on the western shore. This great storm has raged for thousands of years, and is said to be the residual effect of an ancient time in which the gods of air and ice quarreled. Torrents of angry air pull clouds in an aggressive spiral, and even the most adept wind dragons avoid the eye, a place from which many rarely return. [/center][/quote] The question lies in this, can windsinger's pinned and perpetually spinning hurricane protect all of Sornieth from going underwater? yes Yes it can by something called the [b]The Fujiwhara Effect[/b] The Fujiwhara Effect is a rather simple concept. Take two hurricains and have them about to colide one another, what happends? well on earth 1 of two things can happen from my understanding from studying. 1) both huricains whom are equal to streangth simply go diffrent ways as their spinning and general forces from one another repell echother away in a C pattern [img]http://www.goes-r.gov/users/comet/tropical/textbook_2nd_edition/media/graphics/interact_tc_stages_northern.jpg[/img] like so 2) if one storm is bigger than the other the other storm would just [i]eat[/i] the other storm, not growing in size but absorbing it. This is exactly what happend in 2005 hurricane Wilma absorbed tropical storm Alpha [img]https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003200/a003290/STILL_wilma_rainAccum20051025_0845z.jpg[/img] and considering the twisting crescendo is reguarded as "a gods final challange to his children, and even ones of his flight are fearful of it", it should have [i]enough[/i] power to handel anything that comes it's way. Windsinger's hard on you just because he loves you so much, ain't that sweet! [b]Conclusion?: Sornieth can most deffently be a water world without the supercontinent being flooded by huricains and tropical storms that generate on a tropical planet. [quote][size=5]More Mantle:[/size] Not sure what this might do, except possibly mean that core size is reduced. Since magnetic field is generated from core, this might reduce magnetic field slightly-- allowing slightly more radiation to permeate planet. Scales and carapaces should be effective than skin at radiation shielding. Life might adapt to higher levels of radiation-- explaining strange abilities and some 'magic.' More mantle might increase seismic activity, but might be counteracted with more crust-- not sure.[/quote] ………mmhmm……… this could explain the beastclan more so than the dragons. It is common knowlage that the dragons are greatly impacted by the magical forces the god gives off. This is seen in dragon's eyes, nests, eggs,…everyhing. Beastclan however have been shown to gain abilities that seemed to only be to dragon kind. [quote][center][item=Oceansurf Magus] [b]Oceansurf Magus[/b] Decades of study have allowed these scholars to tap into elemental magics previously known only to dragonkind.[/center][/quote] others are clearly shown to grow to great sizes thanks to this radiation too. One of my favorit familiars is a clear example of the clasic radiation taking things so far! [quote][center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/16912.png[/img] [b] Crowned Roc[/b] One of only a few airborne creatures in Sornieth larger than a dragon. [/center][/quote] I already made some mocked stats to it, making its base body as big as its guardian owner and upscaleing a earths hawk's size to this level. Owner: Lucrest (Guardian) Length: 20.21M Wingspan: 17.54M Weight: 11531.4KG Familiar: Rocco Length: 20m excluding tail feathers Wingspan: 49.09m Weight: 42.57kg And that wing span would look [b][i]something[/i][/b] like this. [img]http://i.imgur.com/567vEuO.png[/img] [b]Conclusion?: Unsure how crust will play but so far everything sounds really plausible. Fallout Sornieth New Vegas is a go. [/b] [quote][size=5]Core:[/size] Besides less core, a lighter core might help. Metal would still need to be conductive, though, if we want a magnetic field (HINT: we do). [/quote] I have no comment on this one saddly.… [quote][size=5]To aid flight on a much bigger planet gravity slightly less than ours:[/size] Atmosphere-- would be thicker than ours. Life possibly breathes something other than oxygen. Life has hollow/porous bones to further reduce self weight.[/quote] Third makes most logical sence to me, the bone structure. Dragons are most cloesly similar to dinosaurs from our perspective and a lot of fossle records show that many had ways to reduce weight. From hallowed bone structures found in flying reptiles to T-rex's having air pockets in it's skull. [b]Conclusion?: [i]Bird bones or bust, baby.[/i] [/b] [quote][size=5]Suggestion for planet formation:[/size] Sornieth was formed further out in the solar system (think Jupiter distance) where formation materials are lighter and less dense. Then it was thrown inward by a gas giant's gravitational influence (think slingshot) and found a stable orbit around its sun.[/quote] I have nothing scientific to add but I love the idea of basicaly during the first age Sornieth was the equivelent of a massive fight cloud you see in TV shows and it just being rickashay around the place. … [b]actually i do have something to add onto that about a gas giant being in the solar system now that i think about it.[/b] [quote="Aequorin"] How many moons does Sornieth have? Is it relatively the same distance from its own sun as Earth is? Is Sornieth in an Earth-like solar system or is it the only planet around its star? -------------- Only the Arcanist and his most trusted astronomers know for sure how many celestial objects orbit Sornieth, but it does boast one to two modestly-sized moons that are a welcome sight on dark nights. [b]Only the Arcanist and his most trusted astronomers know[/b] [b][size=5]Only the Arcanist knows[/size] [/quote][/b] [size=7][i]ARCANIST!![/i] WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!??! YOU ARE NOT EVEN MESSING UP ANYTHING IN THIS THEORY. YOU ARE HELPING NOT DESTROYING. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!? TELL US YOUR SECRETS!! [i][b]ARCANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST!![/b][/i][/size] … … … … … … … … … … … I think though we just scientifically proven that Arcanist is to blame for, at the very least, the little knowlage that is out there of why our gravity is messed up. He is the main source to blame. [quote name="violalore" date=2017-07-01 22:11:38] I cannot believe the Arcanist broke gravity.[/quote] IT IS SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN THAT HES [b] IN SOME WAY[/b] RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PROBLEM ACCORDING TO THIS ONE CASE STUDY WE JUST HAD. [i]AND IM DEATHLY AFRAID TO FIND WHAT OTHER CASE STUDIES ARE OUT THERE.[/i] [b]Conclusion?: When in doubt, blame Arcanist. It's scientifically proven.[/b] [s]*casually changes my broadcast message to be this*[/s] @violalore So how's that for a response to your original question? [/quote] [b]Figure 26[/b] [quote name="violalore" date=2017-07-03 23:12:58] [user= 292462] This thread is good but I have... Uhh, a thing to point out about the Arcanist. His knowing about celestial objects raises... Uhh, INTERESTING questions about those moons... Namely... [img]http://www.eyeonstarwars.com/trilogy/vehicle/images/death_star.jpg[/img] [i][b]Are they really moons?[/b][/i] [/quote] [b]Figure 27[/b] [quote name="catgame21234" date=2017-07-03 23:37:15] [user= 270144] @violalore we'd officaly be wearing tinfoil hats if we do that. im done here. [img]https://pics.me.me/my-job-here-is-done-but-you-didnt-do-anything-14381907.png[/img] [/quote] [b]Figure 28[/b] ………………… Arcanist… I beg you, bless us with this knowledge that only you and your staff hold, for i am blinded by the storm clouds that stop myself from viewing the stars. And even if I where to travel to your domain and live there for the rest of my days I fear that I would not reach this discovery in my life time. I do not want my conclusion to be "When in doubt, blame Arcanist. It's scientifically proven." Clear your name. [b]Do we have a gas giant in our solar system Arcanist?[/b] [right] Sincerely ~Catti[/right]
Lore buddy ping list: @ArtsyDragon7, @Kawootie, @Reiyn, @GlitterDCMarvel, @WhySoDelirious, @Jakekitty, @Amyatzu, @JadeMagic, @CrystalRush, @Leopardmask, @violalore, @bowserslave, @Ellapinky, @JumpScared, @JadeFlame, @TheElfDruid,@Rinwood,@DiamondNoodles, @3idolon,@Kaibutsu, ,@DarkwingDove, @Shaydas, @ColoradoBlues , @Drakion @ClockworkEclipse, @SleepyChipmunk, @Sabriel415, @DarkVSO, @Cheshly

Hi! it's me, Catti.

Firstly, I would like to appologize for useing you, your greatness as a unit of measurement as of my last theory where I tryed to calculate your approximate sizes. As you can see I dove into a very heated…"state" for a lack of a better term so I hope you can forgive me for that outburst.
Secondly I hope this letter will arrive to you vea words of the wind. I trust that perhaps your scholars shall talk about this where by you hear about it and read it on your leisure, no need to send this to you directly. After all I'm just a small little spark in the Shifting Expanse. I rarely see the stars as you so do daily…But when I do see them…like when the clouds needed to be parted ways for one lightning rod because the tower needs to be repaired, I can see but what a glimpse of what you see every day, and it is beautiful. I often wonder what is out there in the great beyond. I'm pretty sure though …no, i know you know at least what planets are out there, ones closest to us. What I am trying to get at is that, you know a lot about what is out there and I was wondering if you could perhaps share that knowledge of what planets are in our solar system. For if you where to do that you would be aiding in dragon kind in one of our greatest discoveries of our generation; Why is Sornieth's gravity so damn light?

I know! I know. This question is up to much of it is up to "much scholarly debate" whether or not "it is by magic, or the planets make up of it's core", and off the bat one can come to the conclusion you giving me and the public such information could be considered …unwise,but if we know what planet is in our solar system we can then hypothesize, with much more precision, what our core is made out of. And through that, we can then know definitively what the answers is to the age old question to that very heated debate.

We had such this conversation back over in the offices in the lightning flight
But, seeing that you are not stormcatcher, or just a dragon who could go to the security footage and re-watch our conversation, I will be quoting it, verbatim, and numbering off every single "chunk" of this conversation.

Brace yourself it is a bit of a long conversation, but if you read this far Arcanist and have not looked back at you're work I hope your intrigued enough with our conversation and at least finish reading it to the end.
violalore wrote on 2017-06-30:

Hey fellow science flight members. You know what detail about canon is bugging me today?

How Sonrieth has a diameter of 1 1/2 Earths but less gravity, and the reasoning is "idk, magic."

I mean, I don't know what I expected, but I feel like I'm watching Interstellar again. Or maybe I'm IN Interstellar, trying to "solve gravity"!! But yeah no. How the heck does that work? Instead of a core, does Sonrieth have a literal air bubble?

And in case anyone is wondering why I'm so bothered by this: one, I'm just the type of person who's predisposed to get annoyed by details like this. The other is, my lore is about spaceflight. Specifically, my clan's goal is for Sonrieth dragons to land on the this planet of their solar system. This means that, naturally, I want to be able to describe these planets in relation to Sonrieth in my lore, because it doesn't make sense for dragons to be comparing it to Earth. But it's hard to do that when these dragons live on an impossible planet.

So yeah... Maybe I'm just uptight but. Oh my god. WHY.

DO THEY LIVE ON A REALLY SMALL ICE GIANT?

I'M CONFUSED.
Figure 1
Morgus wrote on 2017-06-30:

@violalore

I mean, it could be the other option offered there: that Sornieth is just made of something less dense than Earth.

That said, magical interference was enough to make it impossible for the Arcanist to fly near the Pillar, so clearly magic can do something to weird up natural physics re: going up and down.
Figure 2
SilverSkies614 wrote on 2017-06-30:

Maybe the core is actually magic? That would explain why it's less dense/less gravity, but also why the world has magical properties. Perhaps once it was solid, but in the process of defeating the shade it was somehow replaced?
Figure 3
Recko wrote on 2017-06-30:

As actual planetary science major, it's possible that Sornieth is just less dense than Earth. We can estimate densities of planets farther away by analyzing their chemical makeup-- we have enough data to guess what each planet looks like/how dense it is. This (along with size and other factors) is often how we help to determine whether a planet is rocky or gaseous.
Figure 4
catgame21234 wrote on 2017-06-30:

I was going to contribute to this thread in a scientific manner but everything changed as soon as I saw this line.

Quote:
does Sonrieth have a literal air bubble?

and im just
pYTdcGY.png

im sorry

……………
now that i think about it would having a dragon rather than a core change the gravity of the planet?
Figure 5
weazelhound wrote on 2017-07-01:
Editors note: *in reference to the post above*
pffft
Figure 6
AuraBurn wrote on 2017-07-01:

@violalore

Actually, if Sornieth has a slower rotation than the Earth, then despite its greater size that can drastically decrease the gravity of the planet. Explanation is lots of fancy math that flew over my head when a friend explained something similar for a different planet of the same size. XD
Figure 7
catgame21234 wrote on 2017-07-01:

@violalore

actually now thinking about it there are two reasons why the planet may at large have less gravity.

There's scientific evidence that we could try to pick at but there's also another reason why

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/22#post_10099746
Quote:
Most Snappers would need assistance to reach the Cloudsong; however, Snappers who are Wind Element may be able to lift themselves upward. Those of the Arcane Flight may be able to twist the laws of gravity in their general area.

Quote:
Those of the Arcane Flight may be able to twist the laws of gravity in their general area

Now I don't know about you but

region_arcane.jpg

If a single being alone, implied, is able to rase a significant portion of the world up from the ground. An untold amount of smaller "reactions" of "gravity pocket reactions" are happening all over the world due to other dragons. The lone fact that most likely gravity is going to be reduced because a sizable population and or tasks within this civilization rely on vertical movement to get around, I think would overall would cause the gravity of the planet as a whole to reduce is gravitational pull. Likewise, if all able body arcain users needed to be more grounded they would most likely incress the gravitational pull on the planet. A way to test if the arcane magic theory is true is by asking them all to turn off their powers ad see if it has any effect on the planet but we have no fesabol way of doing that.

Question is, how much gravitational pull is needed to cause a something to slowly rise off of the planets surface? I could calculate the mass of the Focal Point and the obsurvatory, at least get a rough estimate thanks to this other thread I've made

………
outside of arcanist however, another thing i am worryed about is this question; can the deities be so heavy they have their own gravitational pull?
I know that sounds werid but hear me out.
It is stated in chapter one, quote;
Chapter 1: The First Age wrote:

On the other side of the world, Earth and Fire smashed the landscape to pieces. Each broken mountain or fractured plain only riled the Earthshaker into deeper rage. With one great heave of his front leg, the entire planet wobbled in its orbit, and to this day has remained at an irregular tilt.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the earth is at a tilt because of our moon impact,or atleast thats our best theory…and ontop of that too the moon does have a gravitational pull as well.

If somthing the equivalent to our moon, atleast in terms of force, is on the planet.

Aequorin

Quote:
Quote:
A while ago you said that the Arcanist was the smallest deity, but now I'm wondering... who is the largest?

By length, @Windsinger. By mass, @Earthshaker.

The oldest gods are the most massive. @Windsinger, @Earthshaker, @Tidelord, and @Flamecaller manifest the largest physical presences.

And other moon esk power/forces/size maybe is on our plannet too…

2NaSCDo.png
foot note and reminder, Earthshaker is at the most north tip of the world wile flamecaller by looking at the image alone, is NEAR the south most tip of the planet, We can use that to understand how much the plannet is leaning if we streac this map to be on a 3d plain if we compare it to our planet

all in a line like this, excluding windsinger since hes roaming

does something like that play an effect?

Nothing is said that the gravity was like this back when the shade was attacking?

…does rotation of a planet effect gravity?

i bring more questions then awsers im sorry but im interested in this
Figure 8
violalore wrote on 2017-07-01:

I cannot believe the Arcanist broke gravity.

Also thanks FR for not notifying me for anything from this thread.

Maybe somehow to expel the Shade, the Arcanist temporarily lessened the effect of gravity, and then forgot to fix it? Dammit, Arcanist!
Figure 9
SystemSpliter wrote on 2017-07-01:
Maybe somehow to expel the Shade, the Arcanist temporarily lessened the effect of gravity, and then forgot to fix it? Dammit, Arcanist!

An this is why my clan has trust issues with Arcane. They have a reputation for screwing things up.
Figure 10
catgame21234 wrote on 2017-07-03:

@violalore
its just a theory!
also if you want notifications of a thread click the star at the top.

Quote:

okay heres the THING tho about that
chapter 3 wrote:
The dark spot was now a formidable swath of the sky, and he could make out curious fluctuations along its edges. Tendrils of the deepest black spiraled off; however, there was something even more odd. Although he was closer to his subject, his perception of it still felt skewed. Was it possible that his viewpoint was somehow being warped by the energies emitted by The Pillar?

The Arcanist closed his eyes and focused, meditating deeply within the submersion of the magic emanating from the summit. He felt it shift, glowing, growing, and receding. The drake began to pull at it, each inhale absorbing more and more of the ether. He then opened his eyes.

It was much clearer now. The distortion that had obscured his observance of the void had all but vanished. He took a few moments to closely examine the darkness, soon discovering that it was shifting in accordance to his own movement. When he lifted an arm, smoky tendrils sprouted from the black cloud and spiraled outward in a beautifully fractal dance. If he arched his back, the blackness echoed and bent. This was communion with the heavens, a gift that he had only dreamed of. From this perch, the Arcanist felt he could command the universe itself.

The 8 gods in that pillar put all their energy and hell bodies into that dam thing right?
Not one of them
one of them
controls gravity.
The only one who'd be closest to that would theoretically be earthshaker.

When arcanist was ontop of the pillar, i do not know how "high" he was in

[img]For days he climbed, eyes focused on the tightly-rounded horizon that was his goal. Mistral tufts brushed his aching body, and for several hours the young god was lost in a soup of dark, rumbling thunderclouds. He made his best progress at night, when the void was most prominent in the sky. It was growing larger, but he could not determine if he was getting any closer. At long last, the Pillar ended. Digging his claws into the flattened crown, and with a final exhausting heave, he pulled his body onto the cold, unforgiving stone and collapsed. He slumbered, wrapped within the protection of his wings. The air at the apex was frigid, and an immense pressure pulsed at his temples, but there he remained until night inevitably fell. But he deffently climbed up high enough to manipulate something in the atmosphere is my best guest. The "ward" acted as a bubble to keep the shade out, and he basicaly made a hole in it. He pushed the bubble around so that the shade found a weak point.[/img]image5.jpg
and popped it

wait…
wait hold on…
wiat a second i think i got it

OKay so the pillar is at the most north part of the world right?
the impact of that blast that caused chunks of a pillar to be flung across the world HAD to have had an impact on the planets rotation would impact gravity. This is akin to a fanomina i remember reading about a lot back in the day where a dam in china slowed down the earths rotation about like 0.1 of a second because of how much it was holding back. My numbers are off, But when IDK…earthquake…the damn broke when the dam broke it spun the earth back to its normal rotation once more.

I am talking so much about spinning because in our world a plannet spinning does have effects on the gravity. from just simplegoogle surching it is a "small " effect but still AN effect.
now we dont know if the plannet is spinning to the left or right. but which ever way the planet is spinning But perhaps the shade made the place spin faster with that magintude of a hit.

earth_3.png
map_earth.png
image5.jpg

From the artwork we can infur that the shade came in swinging with a hook left rather than striking like a hammer head onto the pillar (from its POV of corse). Meaning that if the planet now is rotating at a counter clockwise fasion.already it could theoreticaly be spinning faster.
not a whole lot.
And from what little i know about the effect spinning has on gravity, objects that are closer to the polls of the planet are their "true weight" but anything near the equator is is lighter than its actual weight
……

i dont know if you have seen the map but where is arcanist's land located?

Kinda on the equator.

And where are all the most populated areas located on this planet?
more or less on the equator

meaning it feeds into the theory i had before of arcain dragons also being an aiding cause
but the kickstarter to all this was arcanist setting shop on the equator
Earthshaker staying shop at the north part of the world and staying the most greounded (HE IS THE BIGGEST GOD)
and the effect of the shade smacking the planet so hard it caused a pillar to explode which aggin is akin to a fanomina that happend on planet earth in china with a dam that was so huge it slowed (and sped up when it finaly burst) earth's rotaiton by 0.1 second.

So the cause of this was both science AND magic with arcains now just incressing the problem more and more every day, literally.
Quote:
arcane_2.png
Once a low island, Focal Point now threatens to tower over even the Crystalspine Mountains. The earth here longs to join the sky, pulling upwards in cascading towers of rock and crystal. The vast energies at play affect the outer lands and make the skies a dangerous litter of resources sent in to feed the Observatory. The true threats, however, to those living here are the strange, alien creatures riding the meteors that rain upon the land...

arcane_3.png
Sitting atop the highest reaches of Focal Point, the Observatory stands lonely, its Eye of Many Lenses staring deep into the darkest quadrants of space. The Arcanist broods by candlelight within as his four frail arms feverishly scribble the knowledge of the cosmos into ancient tomes of countless pages. Forbidden words rolling off of enchanted tongues echo through the the archaic structure bound in runes formed through years of applied magical sciences.
the QnA to lazy to link atm its so latei should be sleeping oh god help me wrote:
Has the Arcanist ever considered literally ascending into space to observe it directly?
He's tried a time or two, but after the whole Pillar-shattering situation and the eyes of his followers upon him, he's been playing it a bit more safely by observing and augmenting his telescopes.

The arcanist, maybe not even aware of it, WHICH WOULD BE HIGHLY FITTING BY THE WAY, Is continusly constently messing with the gravity of his domain to get higher and higher into space. But he is failing to relize that wile doing that in THE VERY location he is in is amplifying the natural and scientific phenomena of centripetal force acting on our planet with his that was already thrown out of balance when the shade attacked it.

wow thanks Arcanist ._.;;
SystemSpliter wrote on 2017-07-01:

An this is why my clan has trust issues with Arcane. They have a reputation for screwing things up.
No true-er words have ever been spoken @SystemSpliter

…wait

but…BUT
IF THIS
IS
THE CASE
THEN I AM ABSOLUTLY FLABORGASTED
THAT ALL THE BEAST CLAN ARE NOT ALL DEAD
AND DRAGONS THE ONLY LIFE THERE
DUE TO THEM UNABE TO HANDEL THE VIOLENT AND SUDDEN GRAVITY SHIFT THAT THE GODS THAT ARCANIST ANDTHE SHADE EXIRTED ON THIS PLANET IN SUCH A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME, WITH IN THE TIMESPAN OF THIS PLANET TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION.
THE REAL QUESTION
WE SHOULD BE ASKING
INSTED OF THE GOD DAMNED (LITERALLY) GRAVITY OF THIS PLANET IS

Old World Rabbit

WHAT THE !@#$ ARE THESE RABBITS MADE OUT OF
AND HOW DID THEY SURVIVE THIS !@#$ING LONG

editors note
I randomly foundout that arcanist is a stingy ******* who is hiding all the documentation of how many planets are in Sorneiths system to himself and his exulted, and that the planet has 2 moons. That hoe.

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/77#post_12654994
The Pillar is immense; the top nearly brushed the inner atmosphere of the planet.

WE HAVE A RULER BOYS WE CAN MEASURE ANYTHING NOW IF WE BRAKE THAT BABY DOWN TO EIGTHS.
I KINDA WANT SOMEONE TO DO THAT MATH FOR ME THO DAMN IT X,D;

edit edit
god i started to type this as a playful theory not wanting to shift blame to the poor guy YET IM BACK WHERE WE STARTED
WHY YOU DO THIS ARCANIST WHY

and considering he is the embodyment of magical gravity this adds just 50 lairs of irony to me.
Arcanist is broken.
Figure 11

hold on im gonna just
try to see what sort of gravity we have.
How can we even talk about this subject if we dont know the actual gravitational pull on the planet in the first place?
Everything past this point untill stated oherwise is just notes
how much gravity force is on the earth?
9.807 m/s²

Mass: 5.972 × 10^24 kg
Radius: 3,959 mi
Density: 5.51 g/cm³
Orbital period: 365 days

and im going to botch up science hard.…
http://flightrising.wikia.com/wiki/Sornieth

Sornieth's day and year length are similar to Earth's[2], meaning that there are around 24 hours in a day and 365 days in a year
Quote:
How is time seen in Sornieth? Is one Sornieth-day and year equal to Earth time? How many decades/centuries/millennia have passed since the Third Age?
For purposes of gameplay, Sornieth days and years are about on par with Earth time, as this makes them more relatable to players. However, dragons grow from a hatchling to an adult in a matter of weeks, so while the calendar year is taken into account with Flight Holidays and the like, lorewise, many measurements are considerably longer.
…what does that mean "longer".
Sornieth also has the same rotational direction as Earth
Quote:
Does the sun rise in the east? Or from another direction?
Sornieth has the same rotational direction as Earth, so sunrises happen in the east!

The planet's radius is roughly one and a half times larger than Earth's

and has slightly less gravity
Slightly less…

https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/large.html
https://sciencebits.wordpress.com/2008/08/26/what-if-gravity-was-weaker-or-stronger/
Just Six Numbers wrote:
Gravitation is feebler than the forces governing the microworld by the number N, about 10^36. What would happen if it weren’t quite so weak? Imagine, for instance, a universe where gravity was ‘only’ 10^30 rather than 10^36 feebler than electric forces. Atoms and molecules would behave just as in our actual universe, but objects would not need to be so large before gravity became competitive with the other forces. The number of atoms needed to make a star (a gravitationally bound fusion reactor) would be a billion times less in this imagined universe. Planet masses would also be scaled down by a billion. Irrespective of whether these planets could retain steady orbits, the strength of gravity would stunt the evolutionary potential on them. In an imaginary strong-gravity world, even insects would need thick legs to support them, and no animals could get much larger. Gravity would crush anything as large as ourselves.

Galaxies would form much more quickly in such a universe, and would be miniaturized. Instead of the stars being widely dispersed, they would be so densely packed that close encounters would be frequent. This would in itself preclude stable planetary systems, because the orbits would be disturbed by passing stars — something that (fortunately for our Earth) is unlikely to happen in our own Solar System.

But what would preclude a complex ecosystem even more would be the limited time available for development. Heat would leak more quickly from these ‘mini-stars’: in this hypothetical strong-gravity world, stellar lifetimes would be a million times shorter. Instead of living for ten billion years, a typical star would live for about 10,000 years.
A mini-Sun would burn faster, and would have exhausted its energy before even the first steps in organic evolution had got under way. Conditions for complex evolution would undoubtedly be less favourable if (leaving everything else unchanged) gravity were stronger. There wouldn’t be such a huge gulf as there is in our actual universe between the immense timespans of astronomical processes and the basic microphysical timescales for physical or chemical reactions. The converse, however, is that an even weaker gravity could allow even more elaborate and longer-lived structures to develop.

Gravity is the organizing force for the cosmos… [It] is crucial in allowing structure to unfold from a Big Bang that was initially almost featureless. But it is only because it is weak compared with other forces that large and long-lived structures can exist. Paradoxically, the weaker gravity is (provided that it isn’t actually zero), the grander and more complex can be its consequences. We have no theory that tells us the value of N. All we know is that nothing as complex as humankind could have emerged if N were much less than 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

(ignoring bold because we need intelligent life akin to humans to evolve on the planet, and this whole thought experiment is viewing sornieth through a Science Fiction or "realism" lens and not Science fantasy. That and also i shall refrence Clarke's three laws)
Martin Rees wrote:
"All we know is that nothing as complex as humankind could have emerged 'from lower amount of gravitational force than our own'.

Clarke's three laws:
foot note for myself: Arthur C. Clarke is a science fiction writer …i really dont know why i just typed this down i just felt like it.

First law: When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

Second law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Aequorin wrote:
Whether that's due to its mass and the make-up of its core or the influence of magical fields is still a matter of draconic debate!

Third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology (and there for alien science) is indistinguishable from magic.
_____
just because we say it is magic and the other beings on Sornieth say it is magic it does not mean that their definition of magic = our definition of magic. For example.
Chapter 3 wrote:
The Arcanist closed his eyes and focused, meditating deeply within the submersion of the magic emanating from the summit. He felt it shift, glowing, growing, and receding. The drake began to pull at it, each inhale absorbing more and more of the ether. He then opened his eyes.

ether to us: in it's arcaic deffinition: a very rarefied and highly elastic substance formerly believed to permeate all space, including the interstices between the particles of matter, and to be the medium whose vibrations constituted light and other electromagnetic radiation.

To arcanist's perspective: Ether is / was THE substance that permeated all space.

the weaker gravity is (provided that it isn’t actually zero), the grander and more complex can be its consequences

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/1242993/1
The breed and gene change scrolls can be considered an abstraction, though the gods reshaping dragons is not uncommon. Most progenitors are likely to have parents, though gameplay does not express this, as that is how we introduce new bloodlines into the game and provide players with the opportunity to design their own unrelated dragons. Parentless eggs are considered orphaned, but may be adopted by a clan.
So, dragon size? How does it work? Why are they all listed as different sizes but everything looks the same? For you, as the user accessing the site through your internet browser, your dragons, eggs, and nests all visually appear to be similar sizes for ease of use and consistency. As for their actualsize, there's a bit of imagination/magic involved to sell that. Eggs would likely be a size that makes sense for the dragon who is producing it, and grow (or shrink) to accommodate the dimensions of the hatchling inside.

weaker gravity = more complex

The size of Sornieth is larger than Earth (roughly one and a half times the radius). It has slightly less gravity. Whether that's due to its mass and the make-up of its core or the influence of magical fields is still a matter of draconic debate!

…evolution……magic… maybe death plays a role… in adding into the magical feilds.…the gods did die for "their" sins when they created the pillar, a magical ward that acted as a forcefeild…maybe there could be a green house gas effect going on here that could exsplain it…

the FR Tumblr QnA wrote:
hopefulkiwi asked: I don’t know if this has been asked already but I was wondering do the dragons have a lifespan of some kind?

For our game purposes, dragons’ don’t die.

Lore-wise they can and do grow old and die. Barring injury, accident, or illness, they do this three ways:

They lose magic over time until they have none left and they die. This is rare, but dragons who lose magic over time tend to die early-on, after only a handful of years. A healthy dragon who wasn’t magic-deficient from birth has the potential to be critically injured magically, in which case they may begin a decline and die a few years later, the length of time depending on how much magic potential they had to start with before they began losing the ability to replentish it.

They maintain a consistent and healthy level of magic and their bodies are the limiting factor, aging and eventually giving out. This is considered the norm, and is health and breed-dependent.

They grow in power as they age, until they have so much magic in them that their physical bodies can’t contain it. These die, and the magic they accumulated returns to the world. Once a dragon reaches a certain threshhold of magic, they die quickly. Until that point, there’s a span between the healthy levels of magic and burn-out that actually extends the lifespan of the dragon. (but if you keep growing past this, your dragon is going to magically explode.) Magically strong dragons have the potential to live the longest, but that potential is very rarely realized. They burn-out brilliantly, and serve as cautionary tales for young drakes.

…i need to tacke the magic later………what was I doing before?

oh lets calculate how big this plannet is.

= = = = = =
Earth's specs
  • Gravitational force: 9.807 m/s^²
  • Mass: 5.972 × 10^24 kg
  • Radius: 3,959 mi
  • Diameter: 7,918 mi
  • Density: 5.51 g/cm³
  • Orbital period: 365 days
  • Moon(s): 1

Sornieth's specs (known to me)
  • Gravitational force: ???
  • Mass: ??? Will assume that Sornieth is made the same way earth is.
  • Radius: 5,939 mi
  • Diameter: 11878 mi
  • Density: ??? Will assume that Sornieth is made the same way earth is.
  • Orbital period: 365 days
  • Moon(s): 1 or 2 "(Sornieth) does boast one to two modestly-sized moons" I shall asume two earth sized moons
Wiki wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

The precise strength of Earth's gravity varies depending on location. The nominal "average" value at the Earth's surface, known as standard gravity is, by definition,[2] 9.80665 m/s^2 (about 32.1740 ft/s^2). This quantity is denoted variously as gn, ge (though this sometimes means the normal equatorial value on Earth, 9.78033 m/s^2), g0, gee, or simply g (which is also used for the variable local value). The weight of an object on the Earth's surface is the downwards force on that object, given by Newton's second law of motion, or F = ma (force = mass × acceleration). Gravitational acceleration contributes to the total acceleration, but other factors, such as the rotation of the Earth, also contribute, and, therefore, affect the weight of the object.

Earth's gravitational force (including 1 moon) (((assumed)))
  • Gravitational force: 9.807 m/s^²

Earth's gravitational force (including 0 moons) (((assumed)))
  • Gravitational force: 9.807 m/s^² (?????)

Sornieth's gravitational force (including 0 earth sized moons) (((assumed))) ignoring "magic"
looking at only the planet itself mathematically with no outside influences arcanist

• Gravitational force: ??

Sornieth's gravitational force (including 1 earth sized moon) (((assumed))) ignoring "magic"
looking at only the planet itself mathematically with no outside influences arcanist

Sornieth's gravitational force (including 2 earth sized moons) (((assumed))) ignoring "magic"

Can someone do this math for me please? I can't continue theorizing the "magic" side of this until I'm grounded in some sort of "fact" and frankly I have no idea what I am doing I'm just an artist who likes science and math, not a scientist nor mathetition.

…by the end of this and after doing the calculations;
if the gravitational force is x > 9.807 m/s^² then that shows that magical forces are in play.
If the gravitational force is x < 9.807 m/s^² then it is the "its mass and the make-up of its core" that is the causation of the weak gravitational force.

@violalore help me please

wait
does gravity even come from earths core?

>googles my trip into hell
……
let's just go with "yes".
Figure 12
violalore wrote on 2017-07-03:

Jesus Christ.

That's all I can say. I never expected anyone to take this seriously. Well done @catgame21234

Maybe after I'm done with my stats hw I can do some calculations but megghhhhhhhh I'm so bad with math, maybe someone else should give it a go
Figure 13

Every time we talk or i see you post a theory we end up being here in a place like this. You should expect this by now.

But listen man, help me finish what you started.

It's like when an accident happens in a public area, you don't asume someone will call 911 you ask someone to call 911. Because then if you don't, everyone around you would assumed someone else is calling 911.
And i'm asking you to be my 911 caller.

@violalore, You asked a question.
and i want to give a response.
A response that isn't Plaguebringer stuffing Windsinger in the core of the planet because she's sick of him already.
Or a response that is just pointing fingers at Arcanist cause "lol memes".
I want my finger pointing to be JUSTIFIED,
Yk0P6DU.gif
MCypb2i.gif
JUSTIFIED WITH SCIENCE!
Figure 14
Erra wrote on 2017-07-03:

1556qv8.jpg

Other than that, no clue.
Figure 15

I AM SCREAMING I BET THIS IS CANON
Figure 16

STOP STEALING MY JOKES @Erra

X,,,D
OH MY GOD THE FONT.

edit
>re reading thread
>sees you do this stuff for a living @Recko

RECKO
SCROLL UP AND LOOK AT MY MATH PLEASE I NEED HELP
Figure 17

Heck, maybe I can do something with this math.
@catgame21234 I'll give it a shot :)

So, the requirements are that:

1.5re=rs
(Sornieth has a radius that is 1.5x larger than Earth's own radius)
ge>gs
(Earth has a greater force of gravity than Sornieth--supposedly only slightly more)

Here's the formula we have for density in relation to mass and volume:

p (density)=m/V

Earth Volume: 1.082 x 10^21 m³
Earth Mass: 5.972 × 10^24 kg
Earth Density: 5.52 x 10^3 kg/m³
Earth Radius: 6,371,000 m

If you insert the above numbers into the equation (sans radius), they should work out.

Okay, so for Sornieth. The volume can be calculated using 4/3pi*r^3. Since the radius is 1.5 that of Earth's (9,556,500 m), the volume is 4/3pi*(9.556*10^6)^3= 3.656*10^21 m^3
As for mass and density... That's where we run into the problem; in order to calculate one, we need the other!

All is not lost however; with volume out of the way, the density equation above can be graphed like so:

p=m/3.656*10^21

Unfortunately it's rather bland due to the huge size difference between density and mass, but I can still locate coordinates on it (such as in the picture above). I picked a reasonable coordinate:
The y value / density is slightly lower than Earth's, which would contribute to a slightly lower gravity (though I recognize there are other variables that contribute to gravity), but not so low that there's an insane difference between Sornieth's mass and that of Earth's (assuming the above coordinate, it would be 3.366 times more "massive" than Earth).

Of course, this assumes the density. However, the actual density and mass of Sornieth would probably lie along the above graph somewhere close to that coordinate, if my calculations are correct.

Then again, maybe the Arcanist is just playin' us all.
Figure 18

@Erra

okay so just to get you right girl.

Earth Volume: 1.082 x 10^21 m³
Earth Mass: 5.972 × 10^24 kg
Earth Density: 5.52 x 10^3 kg/m³
Earth Radius: 6,371,000 m

Sornieth Volume: 3.656*10^21 m^3
Sornieth Mass: 5.498*10^3 kg
Sornieth Density: 2.01*10^25
Sornieth Radius: 9,556,500 m

these your numbers?
Figure 19
Recko wrote on 2017-07-03:

So this is more geology/physics than planetary science (which focuses on remote observation) but....
2SQwkyj.jpg
Essentially, since the radius increases by 1.5, the overall density of the planet needs to decrease.
So here's what I've done with my official MIT education. Justify dragon planets.

Water: MUCH more water-- besides the continent of Sornieth, Sornieth would essentially be a water world. Oceans are SCARY deep. Marianas trench is almost 10km deep-- think MUCH deeper than that-- 100 maybe? Water starts to form heavy ice--not cold, but a solid-- at such depths/pressures. Ice is very ordered compared to normal ice. Sornieth land mass would be the thickest part of the crust-- might be the only land on the planet.

More Mantle: Not sure what this might do, except possibly mean that core size is reduced. Since magnetic field is generated from core, this might reduce magnetic field slightly-- allowing slightly more radiation to permeate planet. Scales and carapaces should be effective than skin at radiation shielding. Life might adapt to higher levels of radiation-- explaining strange abilities and some 'magic.' More mantle might increase seismic activity, but might be counteracted with more crust-- not sure.

Core: Besides less core, a lighter core might help. Metal would still need to be conductive, though, if we want a magnetic field (HINT: we do).

To aid flight on a much bigger planet gravity slightly less than ours:
Atmosphere-- would be thicker than ours. Life possibly breathes something other than oxygen. Life has hollow/porous bones to further reduce self weight.

Suggestion for planet formation: Sornieth was formed further out in the solar system (think Jupiter distance) where formation materials are lighter and less dense. Then it was thrown inward by a gas giant's gravitational influence (think slingshot) and found a stable orbit around its sun.
Figure 20

@catgame21234

Sornieth Mass: 2.01*10^25 kg
Sornieth Density: 5.498*10^3 kg/m^3

Your mass and density values for Sornieth just need to be switched around, but other than that, yep :)

To recap my methods: Sornieth's volume can be calculated with fair accuracy using radius, the density is my guesstimate based on lore info, and the mass is calculated using the volume and assumed density.
The second assumption is that gravity is solely dependent on the planet's density. The moon's gravitational pull likely also has an impact on the gravity (however slight), but I don't really want to bother messing with any more unknown variables XD
Figure 21

@Recko

This is why I love lightning flight.

Also:

"More Mantle: Not sure what this might do, except possibly mean that core size is reduced. Since magnetic field is generated from core, this might reduce magnetic field slightly-- allowing slightly more radiation to permeate planet. Scales and carapaces should be effective than skin at radiation shielding. Life might adapt to higher levels of radiation-- explaining strange abilities and some 'magic.' More mantle might increase seismic activity, but might be counteracted with more crust-- not sure."

I want that to be canon.
Figure 22
Recko wrote on 2017-07-03:

@Erra
It's why I joined. Woot woot science. I'm actually currently working at an observatory right now (an asteroid, 1428 Mombasa, is occulting a star tomorrow at 3 am).

Also, yeah. I try to theoretically explain away any 'magic' I can. It's usually some BS... but hey. It's fun.
Figure 23

@Recko
Sweet :D I've been waiting for the August solar eclipse for like, 2 years now (I've never seen one before noticed them when they've happened in the past). I'm headed to a university with an observatory, so I can probably pick up some glasses from there to view it.
My major is going to be in Molecular and Cellular Bio :)
Figure 24

hold on guys im typing a huge wall of text
@Recko
sit down

Quote:
This is why I love lightning flight.

@Erra
my thoughts exactly.
Figure 25

@Recko
@Erra

I love this flight, sweet storm, i love this flight.
now to fact (lore?) check your propositions @Recko

time to tap into my old mafia background music for maximum theory crafting potential.

Quote:
Water: MUCH more water-- besides the continent of Sornieth, Sornieth would essentially be a water world. Oceans are SCARY deep. Marianas trench is almost 10km deep-- think MUCH deeper than that-- 100 maybe? Water starts to form heavy ice--not cold, but a solid-- at such depths/pressures. Ice is very ordered compared to normal ice. Sornieth land mass would be the thickest part of the crust-- might be the only land on the planet.

Well it is a Sornieth supercontinent and that fact is supported by lightweaver's tower discription.
Quote:
light_3.png
The Beacon of the Radiant Eye
A crumbled, but welcoming tower that resides on the eastern seaboard. From this cliff, the Lightweaver watches and waits for any dragon that may be making a trip across the sea.

However the biggest worry that comes from a water planet are the massive storms (hue) that can be generated from endless seas. I'm talking hurricanes. We would need natural deffences to keep the landmass safe and keep it above water. Because i theorize with it being a "water world" the storms that are generated out of the sea, if it where able to cut thorugh the super conenet in half then the storm would just rap around the plannet, never once stopping, and growing stronger to drown us all thorugh the second run through. Espeicaly with the massive water sorce we have in the center. once a huricain or storm thats strong enough gets in there in the sea of a thousand curents its game over for our world.

Luckly for us we do have sevral deffences that are as follows:

Quote:
arcane_0.pngarcane_1.png
Crystalspine Reaches and Starwood Strand
Along this former shoreline, the trees stretch skyward and grow taller than anywhere else
The peaks now curve inward, pointing directly toward the Observatory and creating a concave and sheltered realm for younger flights
earth_0.pngearth_1.pngearth_2.pngearth_3.png
Literally all of dragonhome have you seen that flat dry place full of rock and mountains?.
nature_3.png nature_2.png
The Behemoth and Shrieking Wilds
The dense, jungly overgrowth of the Shrieking Wilds cloaks the land in darkness even during the day
An enormous tree at the heart of the maze. Some say that the Gladekeeper herself lives within its great trunk, while others believe that the tree itself is grown into her mighty flank. So colossally does it rise, that it is visible from nearly every horizon in the world, a reminder of the power of unbridled life.
fire_3.png
The Great Furnace
Anchored into the thick, glassy obsidian by immense drills, a mighty platform perches over the crater of the continent's largest and most active volcano
light_3.png
The Beacon of the Radiant Eye
It is an important vantage point; she can survey the golden rolling hills speckled with ruins and redwoods, and see everywhere the light touches.

And last but deffently the best;

RH3NYO4.png
The man whom needs no introduction

itdsRdk.png

This coveres nearly every single point on our supercontinent protcting it from storms that could come whatever which way. …all but one. . .

IgKCp7e.png
Quote:
wind_2.png
The Twisting Crescendo

The final trial of the Windsinger's children is a powerful vortex on the western shore. This great storm has raged for thousands of years, and is said to be the residual effect of an ancient time in which the gods of air and ice quarreled. Torrents of angry air pull clouds in an aggressive spiral, and even the most adept wind dragons avoid the eye, a place from which many rarely return.

The question lies in this, can windsinger's pinned and perpetually spinning hurricane protect all of Sornieth from going underwater?

yes
Yes it can
by something called the The Fujiwhara Effect
The Fujiwhara Effect is a rather simple concept. Take two hurricains and have them about to colide one another, what happends?
well on earth 1 of two things can happen from my understanding from studying.

1) both huricains whom are equal to streangth simply go diffrent ways as their spinning and general forces from one another repell echother away in a C pattern
interact_tc_stages_northern.jpg
like so

2) if one storm is bigger than the other the other storm would just eat the other storm, not growing in size but absorbing it.
This is exactly what happend in 2005 hurricane Wilma absorbed tropical storm Alpha
STILL_wilma_rainAccum20051025_0845z.jpg

and considering the twisting crescendo is reguarded as "a gods final challange to his children, and even ones of his flight are fearful of it", it should have enough power to handel anything that comes it's way. Windsinger's hard on you just because he loves you so much, ain't that sweet!

Conclusion?: Sornieth can most deffently be a water world without the supercontinent being flooded by huricains and tropical storms that generate on a tropical planet.

Quote:
More Mantle: Not sure what this might do, except possibly mean that core size is reduced. Since magnetic field is generated from core, this might reduce magnetic field slightly-- allowing slightly more radiation to permeate planet. Scales and carapaces should be effective than skin at radiation shielding. Life might adapt to higher levels of radiation-- explaining strange abilities and some 'magic.' More mantle might increase seismic activity, but might be counteracted with more crust-- not sure.

………mmhmm………
this could explain the beastclan more so than the dragons. It is common knowlage that the dragons are greatly impacted by the magical forces the god gives off. This is seen in dragon's eyes, nests, eggs,…everyhing.
Beastclan however have been shown to gain abilities that seemed to only be to dragon kind.
Quote:
Oceansurf Magus
Oceansurf Magus
Decades of study have allowed these scholars to tap into elemental magics previously known only to dragonkind.

others are clearly shown to grow to great sizes thanks to this radiation too. One of my favorit familiars is a clear example of the clasic radiation taking things so far!
Quote:
16912.png
Crowned Roc
One of only a few airborne creatures in Sornieth larger than a dragon.

I already made some mocked stats to it, making its base body as big as its guardian owner and upscaleing a earths hawk's size to this level.

Owner: Lucrest (Guardian)
Length: 20.21M
Wingspan: 17.54M
Weight: 11531.4KG

Familiar: Rocco
Length: 20m excluding tail feathers
Wingspan: 49.09m
Weight: 42.57kg

And that wing span would look something like this.
567vEuO.png

Conclusion?: Unsure how crust will play but so far everything sounds really plausible. Fallout Sornieth New Vegas is a go.

Quote:
Core: Besides less core, a lighter core might help. Metal would still need to be conductive, though, if we want a magnetic field (HINT: we do).

I have no comment on this one saddly.…
Quote:
To aid flight on a much bigger planet gravity slightly less than ours:
Atmosphere-- would be thicker than ours. Life possibly breathes something other than oxygen. Life has hollow/porous bones to further reduce self weight.

Third makes most logical sence to me, the bone structure. Dragons are most cloesly similar to dinosaurs from our perspective and a lot of fossle records show that many had ways to reduce weight. From hallowed bone structures found in flying reptiles to T-rex's having air pockets in it's skull.

Conclusion?: Bird bones or bust, baby.

Quote:
Suggestion for planet formation: Sornieth was formed further out in the solar system (think Jupiter distance) where formation materials are lighter and less dense. Then it was thrown inward by a gas giant's gravitational influence (think slingshot) and found a stable orbit around its sun.

I have nothing scientific to add but I love the idea of basicaly during the first age Sornieth was the equivelent of a massive fight cloud you see in TV shows and it just being rickashay around the place.

actually i do have something to add onto that about a gas giant being in the solar system now that i think about it.

Aequorin wrote:
How many moons does Sornieth have? Is it relatively the same distance from its own sun as Earth is? Is Sornieth in an Earth-like solar system or is it the only planet around its star?

Only the Arcanist and his most trusted astronomers know for sure how many celestial objects orbit Sornieth, but it does boast one to two modestly-sized moons that are a welcome sight on dark nights.

Only the Arcanist and his most trusted astronomers know

Only the Arcanist knows

ARCANIST!!
WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!??!
YOU ARE NOT EVEN MESSING UP ANYTHING IN THIS THEORY. YOU ARE HELPING
NOT DESTROYING.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?
TELL US YOUR SECRETS!!

ARCANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST!!

I think though we just scientifically proven that Arcanist is to blame for, at the very least, the little knowlage that is out there of why our gravity is messed up. He is the main source to blame.

IT IS SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN THAT HES IN SOME WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PROBLEM ACCORDING TO THIS ONE CASE STUDY WE JUST HAD.
AND IM DEATHLY AFRAID TO FIND WHAT OTHER CASE STUDIES ARE OUT THERE.

Conclusion?: When in doubt, blame Arcanist. It's scientifically proven.

*casually changes my broadcast message to be this*

@violalore
So how's that for a response to your original question?
Figure 26

This thread is good but I have... Uhh, a thing to point out about the Arcanist.

His knowing about celestial objects raises... Uhh, INTERESTING questions about those moons... Namely...

death_star.jpg

Are they really moons?
Figure 27

@violalore
we'd officaly be wearing tinfoil hats if we do that.
im done here.

my-job-here-is-done-but-you-didnt-do-anything-14381907.png
Figure 28

…………………
Arcanist… I beg you, bless us with this knowledge that only you and your staff hold, for i am blinded by the storm clouds that stop myself from viewing the stars. And even if I where to travel to your domain and live there for the rest of my days I fear that I would not reach this discovery in my life time.

I do not want my conclusion to be "When in doubt, blame Arcanist. It's scientifically proven."
Clear your name.
Do we have a gas giant in our solar system Arcanist?

Sincerely
~Catti
ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
what
what
20110.png V7wUqxW.png
ePOliyb.png
QQYyU47.png

rhaUE0x.png c7ZTdau.png 0xN1Cpn.png ijKL04W.png
This a slightly terrifying but nerdy side of lightning.

Ues. No. Maybe. I don't know.
This a slightly terrifying but nerdy side of lightning.

Ues. No. Maybe. I don't know.
arcane_space_new_copy_by_cassiopie-dbkaj3c.png
Wonderful.
Wonderful.
image0.gif
@catgame21234 ...oh my god. Well then. Okay. [img]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/2q97YCXcLOlkoR2jKKEMQ-wkG9k=/0x0:900x500/1200x800/filters:focal(378x178:522x322)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49493993/this-is-fine.0.jpg[/img] WELL I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING IF I EVER DECIDE TO CHANGE FLIGHTS THIS STUFF IS MY [i][b]JAM[/b][/i]
@catgame21234

...oh my god. Well then. Okay.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

WELL I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING IF I EVER DECIDE TO CHANGE FLIGHTS

THIS STUFF IS MY JAM
Free max level brewing. Thread here!
I'm actually considering a vacation in lightning some time. This definitely helped your flights case
I'm actually considering a vacation in lightning some time. This definitely helped your flights case
Maevely
jMfomZU.png ________________ ________________
nZDKsIn.png
WvEXipG.png
hzM3Sr2.png
H0t7Ypl.png
[quote name="Ellapinky" date=2017-07-27 19:47:39] @catgame21234 ...oh my god. Well then. Okay. [img]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/2q97YCXcLOlkoR2jKKEMQ-wkG9k=/0x0:900x500/1200x800/filters:focal(378x178:522x322)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49493993/this-is-fine.0.jpg[/img] WELL I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING IF I EVER DECIDE TO CHANGE FLIGHTS THIS STUFF IS MY [i][b]JAM[/b][/i] [/quote] @Ellapinky be warned, these don't just come out of no where you have to be [i]the spark[/i] to it.
Ellapinky wrote on 2017-07-27:
@catgame21234

...oh my god. Well then. Okay.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

WELL I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING IF I EVER DECIDE TO CHANGE FLIGHTS

THIS STUFF IS MY JAM
@Ellapinky

be warned,
these don't just come out of no where
you have to be the spark to it.

ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
I zoned out somewhere in the middle and now my head hurts.
I zoned out somewhere in the middle and now my head hurts.
quill.png
@catgame21234

Well maybe if you stopped blaming Spacedad all the time, he'd tell you more.

I'm pointing towards Windsinger. He's talked to Arcanist and apparently has the most detailed map of Sornieth which could reveal important clues. And yet he has revealed nothing despite apparently being able to control the wind. Fast wind currents, especially in the atmosphere could likely reduce the difficulty of flying and therefore make it seem like gravity is even lower.

What is he not telling us? (That the artists can be a touch lazy?)

(There was no collaboration to make a plan to launch Earthshaker into the atmosphere and create a third moon with Wind's help. None at all.)
@catgame21234

Well maybe if you stopped blaming Spacedad all the time, he'd tell you more.

I'm pointing towards Windsinger. He's talked to Arcanist and apparently has the most detailed map of Sornieth which could reveal important clues. And yet he has revealed nothing despite apparently being able to control the wind. Fast wind currents, especially in the atmosphere could likely reduce the difficulty of flying and therefore make it seem like gravity is even lower.

What is he not telling us? (That the artists can be a touch lazy?)

(There was no collaboration to make a plan to launch Earthshaker into the atmosphere and create a third moon with Wind's help. None at all.)
Collector of scarves and chess pieces!
@catgame21234

9/10 pun, good but also *groooooan*

How often does this happen in the Lightning offices? Maybe that's why Water doesn't exist, they're to busy running around putting out the fires that are started there
@catgame21234

9/10 pun, good but also *groooooan*

How often does this happen in the Lightning offices? Maybe that's why Water doesn't exist, they're to busy running around putting out the fires that are started there
Free max level brewing. Thread here!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7