Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Spaceflight Rising
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 55 56
@Llealynarisia

Sure, I'd be interested in any/all updates

More thoughts:

Re: Wind and interstellar travel - I think maybe most of them would "hitchhike" with traders, transports, and explorers from other flights. Sure, they would have some traditional transports and hub ships of their own. But, as traders and messengers and general free spirits, I can imagine them being welcome passengers on most other ships, and they take advantage of that.

Some dragons colloquially refer to Arcane's magitek jump drives as "faster than light" travel, which annoys Light dragons to no end. They are NOT faster than us, it takes them the same amount of time to move a fixed distance in space. They just cheat by destroying the fabric of the universe to give themselves a shorter fixed distance. It also, funnily enough, annoys the Arcane engineers because it's a gross oversimplification and does not properly convey the incredible feat of magic and engineering that takes place every time the drive is used.

Nature flight has an entire fleet of colony ships devoted to seeding life on previously sterile planets. Their advanced bioengineering technologies allow them to custom tailor life forms that are able to thrive in nearly any environment, and service in this fleet is considered among the highest honors a clan or exalted dragon can earn. This crusade does occasionally lead to confrontations with other flights, who had hoped to gather mineral resources from these same planets.

This one is a bit of a stretch and I feel like I need to refine it some more: Fighter craft designed for use by mirror dragons. Rather than a traditional control scheme, the cockpit creates a simulated VR environment. Other ships are represented as various dragons and prey creatures, and the mirror, alongside its pack mates, "hunts" them as it would on a planets surface. Neuro-transmitters translate movement and attacks to commands that direct the ship's engineering systems. It allows for some incredibly impressive coordination in groups of 5+, but has drawbacks. The computing power requires an Exalted AI in each craft, as well as a central coordinator ship that manages the communication uplinks between the various craft in the pack. As well, coordination begins to break down in groups larger than 18, with the highest recorded pack of 37 actually being roughly half as efficient as a similar sized wing of independent fighter craft.

Edit: Oh man Shade corrupted "ghost ships" = VERY yes!
@Llealynarisia

Sure, I'd be interested in any/all updates

More thoughts:

Re: Wind and interstellar travel - I think maybe most of them would "hitchhike" with traders, transports, and explorers from other flights. Sure, they would have some traditional transports and hub ships of their own. But, as traders and messengers and general free spirits, I can imagine them being welcome passengers on most other ships, and they take advantage of that.

Some dragons colloquially refer to Arcane's magitek jump drives as "faster than light" travel, which annoys Light dragons to no end. They are NOT faster than us, it takes them the same amount of time to move a fixed distance in space. They just cheat by destroying the fabric of the universe to give themselves a shorter fixed distance. It also, funnily enough, annoys the Arcane engineers because it's a gross oversimplification and does not properly convey the incredible feat of magic and engineering that takes place every time the drive is used.

Nature flight has an entire fleet of colony ships devoted to seeding life on previously sterile planets. Their advanced bioengineering technologies allow them to custom tailor life forms that are able to thrive in nearly any environment, and service in this fleet is considered among the highest honors a clan or exalted dragon can earn. This crusade does occasionally lead to confrontations with other flights, who had hoped to gather mineral resources from these same planets.

This one is a bit of a stretch and I feel like I need to refine it some more: Fighter craft designed for use by mirror dragons. Rather than a traditional control scheme, the cockpit creates a simulated VR environment. Other ships are represented as various dragons and prey creatures, and the mirror, alongside its pack mates, "hunts" them as it would on a planets surface. Neuro-transmitters translate movement and attacks to commands that direct the ship's engineering systems. It allows for some incredibly impressive coordination in groups of 5+, but has drawbacks. The computing power requires an Exalted AI in each craft, as well as a central coordinator ship that manages the communication uplinks between the various craft in the pack. As well, coordination begins to break down in groups larger than 18, with the highest recorded pack of 37 actually being roughly half as efficient as a similar sized wing of independent fighter craft.

Edit: Oh man Shade corrupted "ghost ships" = VERY yes!
tumblr_ordbjfTBNv1s5xpeio1_100.png
Head over and show off your pack at the Mirror Lovers Association!

dRWGCfQ.png
@Llealynarisia Oh gods yes I'm such a sucker for Sci-fi, and I love your Shade concept. Definitely put me on a pinglist for emerging works!

Can I suggest that Nature ships are particularly suited to repair (both of the ship and its occupants) and onboard production/offboard terraforming? Nature ships are traveling cornucopias of life from visited worlds, each a unique ecosystem of formerly-unrelated lifeforms (which ultimately function together, though not without a bit of competition, giving each ship a subtly different and unpredictable set of capabilities). Contrasts nicely with the "Plague borg" aesthetic <3
@Llealynarisia Oh gods yes I'm such a sucker for Sci-fi, and I love your Shade concept. Definitely put me on a pinglist for emerging works!

Can I suggest that Nature ships are particularly suited to repair (both of the ship and its occupants) and onboard production/offboard terraforming? Nature ships are traveling cornucopias of life from visited worlds, each a unique ecosystem of formerly-unrelated lifeforms (which ultimately function together, though not without a bit of competition, giving each ship a subtly different and unpredictable set of capabilities). Contrasts nicely with the "Plague borg" aesthetic <3
cL9yafY.gif
@Llealynarisia - Yess, awesome. Good possible starting point for an RP or a story, too. *thumbs up*
@Llealynarisia - Yess, awesome. Good possible starting point for an RP or a story, too. *thumbs up*
Come to the dork side. Do not make me de-story you. Image © Diaktoros
DriftAwayBanner_zpsd03e0e45.jpg tumblr_om7wmtaZKm1w2diclo1_100.png
DNOE36T.png
(water-only links)
@Llealynarisia that shade bit is terrifying and i love it A+

@Wookiara your whole post is great omg. SO COOL

don't think i saw this in the thread yet, but how would dragons of other flights fare on off-element ships? it seems like it'd be a bit uncomfortable for off-flighters to be on ice or water ships, with their current descriptions at least.
@Llealynarisia that shade bit is terrifying and i love it A+

@Wookiara your whole post is great omg. SO COOL

don't think i saw this in the thread yet, but how would dragons of other flights fare on off-element ships? it seems like it'd be a bit uncomfortable for off-flighters to be on ice or water ships, with their current descriptions at least.
yellow flag icon linking to After's Lair Directory
After
They/them

< Lair Directory
Sig Spotlight >
Coliseum banner showing After's avatar dragon, a steel blue and black Spiral.Coliseum banner showing a black and red Coatl.
Coliseum banner showing a Wildclaw with flames and a soot-covered face.Coliseum banner showing a black and beige Skydancer.
@Llealynarisia

Forget all I said about the Shade. This is most godly. World Pillar tier at least.
@Llealynarisia

Forget all I said about the Shade. This is most godly. World Pillar tier at least.
qioWu9F.pngo9xkHM4.png73sUCnX.pngJVDVBna.pngbz42cD2.png

I had no idea that I needed this in my life. But I do. It's like Battlestar Galactica and Flight Rising rolled together. And I can't help but think of the Plague Fleet having similar features to Species 8472 from Star Trek: Voyager.

But ok, I'll just be here nerding out. Carry on, everyone.

I had no idea that I needed this in my life. But I do. It's like Battlestar Galactica and Flight Rising rolled together. And I can't help but think of the Plague Fleet having similar features to Species 8472 from Star Trek: Voyager.

But ok, I'll just be here nerding out. Carry on, everyone.
1zf3qk8.png
@Wookiara Ooh, I'm liking all those ideas! Especially the Mirror fighter craft, now [i]that[/i] was good. It also gave me an idea for at least one detail on how ships are built. A small detail, admittedly, but...I can honestly kinda see the chairs/stations for ship bridges being a design sort of like this V [img]http://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/4/5/1/5/515fa270-10c6-012d-b10f-0050569428b1.jpg[/img] just obviously more high-tech in design. I really doubt human-shaped chairs are going to be comfortable for dragons, especially the ones that are primarily quadrupedal in stance and locomotion. With this kind of chair, the controls would be level and/or a little lower than the seat, so the occupant doesn't have to keep stretching their arms up to manipulate controls. I can also see their size and shape/the height of the controls being adjustable, so different dragons can work the same station without that station having to be constantly torn up and rebuilt. @Oranitha Added you to the general pinglist! And it looks like you and Wookiara were on a similar wavelength when it comes to Nature. XD @After Hmm...I think it would vary from clan to clan, depending on their view of "outsiders." I can see clans that are at least tolerable of dragons from other Fleets having some equipment that would help them function better on their ships, like thick coverings for Ice ships and wearable gills for Water ships. The hub ships, however, would probably be a different story; other than the Earth hub ships, each set were likely designed and built with only their fleet in mind, no one else.
@Wookiara Ooh, I'm liking all those ideas! Especially the Mirror fighter craft, now that was good.

It also gave me an idea for at least one detail on how ships are built. A small detail, admittedly, but...I can honestly kinda see the chairs/stations for ship bridges being a design sort of like this V
515fa270-10c6-012d-b10f-0050569428b1.jpg
just obviously more high-tech in design. I really doubt human-shaped chairs are going to be comfortable for dragons, especially the ones that are primarily quadrupedal in stance and locomotion. With this kind of chair, the controls would be level and/or a little lower than the seat, so the occupant doesn't have to keep stretching their arms up to manipulate controls. I can also see their size and shape/the height of the controls being adjustable, so different dragons can work the same station without that station having to be constantly torn up and rebuilt.

@Oranitha Added you to the general pinglist! And it looks like you and Wookiara were on a similar wavelength when it comes to Nature. XD

@After Hmm...I think it would vary from clan to clan, depending on their view of "outsiders." I can see clans that are at least tolerable of dragons from other Fleets having some equipment that would help them function better on their ships, like thick coverings for Ice ships and wearable gills for Water ships. The hub ships, however, would probably be a different story; other than the Earth hub ships, each set were likely designed and built with only their fleet in mind, no one else.
Garden-of-Shadows-Signature.png X9XFFVl.png
@Llealynarisia I'd love to be added to a pinglist! This is an awesome idea~
@Llealynarisia I'd love to be added to a pinglist! This is an awesome idea~
tumblr_m7jfpbfRgR1r5fie0.gif
@Llealynarisia can I be added to the pinglist?
@Llealynarisia can I be added to the pinglist?
VOIPBvS.png
@KittenFromHell @Nanosaur Added~ I'm glad you enjoy this~

@Wookiara @Oranitha @BlueTrillium @After @Crookedjaw

Thank you~ It actually has given me an idea for a short story that I've already started planning out. Guess I'm going to be using one of those pinglists sooner than I thought. XD
@KittenFromHell @Nanosaur Added~ I'm glad you enjoy this~

@Wookiara @Oranitha @BlueTrillium @After @Crookedjaw

Thank you~ It actually has given me an idea for a short story that I've already started planning out. Guess I'm going to be using one of those pinglists sooner than I thought. XD
Garden-of-Shadows-Signature.png X9XFFVl.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 55 56