Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Spaceflight Rising
1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 55 56
This is such a neat idea!
This is such a neat idea!
@Gibby Oh man, that looks great so far~ I need to do that for my own ship once I get more crew.
@Gibby Oh man, that looks great so far~ I need to do that for my own ship once I get more crew.
BEw4O1O.png X9XFFVl.png
@Lealynarisa
add me to the art/lore pinglist please!
this Idea is really cool!
@Lealynarisa
add me to the art/lore pinglist please!
this Idea is really cool!
formally LCice/FR+3/He or Him | Please Ping Me
Space/Band/Video Game/WWII History Nerd
INFJ/Ace-Aro/Welcome to Messages
oie_Xj_B1a3gk_Y0hg.png
"In theory, It should all work out fine in the end."
This is really cool. I need to remember this. @lunaward
This is really cool. I need to remember this. @lunaward
@Llealynarisia I love this! Please add me to all the pinglists? :3
@Llealynarisia I love this! Please add me to all the pinglists? :3
38082415sig.png
Kavryn [ Kav-r-y-n ] | » Level 25 Lair Challenge « | » G1 Sales «
So, this idea has been kicking around in my head for a while, but I only recently thought to try and adapt it to Spaceflight Rising. If people are interested I can write up more? There's a lot of reasoning behind most of this too so if something seems odd there's probably a reason, please do ask :P [rule] [rule] [center] [img]http://i.imgur.com/PvYfYZy.png[/img] [size=2](aka: the Auction House and Courier dragons given a home region)[/size] [/center] [rule] [rule] [i]The dragons of the System Archives are compilers. They prefer to be as diligent and methodical as the computers they maintain. Of all the dragons, they are the most analytical, cataloging events and predicting trends based upon the data they have gathered, but rarely involving themselves in the affairs of the rest of the galaxy. Data strings and memory crystals are their favored treasures.[/i] [rule] [rule] [center] [url=http://i.imgur.com/febtYH1.png][img]http://i.imgur.com/febtYH1.png[/img][/url] [size=2]click for larger size[/size] [/center] [columns] [b]Zone Element[/b] [color=transparent]______[/color] N/A [nextcol] [img]http://i.imgur.com/XORaLXP.png[/img] [nextcol] [b]Reigning God[/b] [color=transparent]______[/color] Indexer [nextcol] [img]http://i.imgur.com/XORaLXP.png[/img] [nextcol] [b]Indigenous Life[/b] Turbofox Drone, Dwarf Scanosphere [nextcol] [img]http://i.imgur.com/XORaLXP.png[/img] [nextcol] [b]Region Population[/b] [i]data unavailable[/i] [/columns] The System Archives were once nothing more than an unremarkable binary star system without even bacterial life to call it home. After the arrival of the Indexer this remote star system has been transformed into a hub of information and commerce. All are welcome to visit - but few are permitted to stay. [quote] [b]Mobius Array[/b] [columns][img]http://i.imgur.com/R7zDm7y.png[/img][nextcol] The homeland of all dragons born under the Indexer's watchful eye, whether they are made of flesh or of circuitry. The Array is a series of ring-pieces constructed around the system's main star, orbiting it like so many planetoids. The installations are each thousands of kilometers long, each of them a self-contained garden constructed to house the indigenous life of hundreds of worlds. It is here that visiting ships dock and ply their trade or offer information in hopes of payment - or if they are very lucky, an invitation of permanent inhabitance.[/columns] [b]System Nodes[/b] [columns][img]http://i.imgur.com/JiBl62y.png[/img][nextcol] Bleak and desolate the natural planetoids of the Archive may be, but each of them holds riches beyond measure for those able to harvest and process them. From the gas giants the Indexer's adjuncts gather hydrogen and helium and other, stranger gases; from each of the rocky planetoids they mine aluminum and gold and carbon to maintain the development of the machinery that sustains life in this alien solar system. [/columns] [b]The Hive[/b] [columns][img]http://i.imgur.com/wNSdCeI.png[/img][nextcol] To venture out of the System Archives is to invite danger, but the Indexer's children could not survive in isolation even if they wanted to. To this end there exists a fleet of starships - plodding behemoths, agile clippers, shuttles so small they're barely more than an engine, and everything in between. No matter their shape, all of them serve a single purpose: to gather knowledge and resources to bring back to their home system. The Hive's ships are few in number and generally not well-armed, and are a tempting target for many a pirate thanks to the precious data they carry. [/columns] [b]The Registry[/b] [columns][img]http://i.imgur.com/HlelYaS.png[/img][nextcol] A binary star system it may be, but the Archives' second star is often forgotten. The red dwarf orbits its more luminous sibling as a planetoid rather than a true companion star, distant and so dim as to be nothing more than a particularly bright point in the night sky. Its unremarkable nature is its greatest defense: around this forgotten star is a lattice of rings rotating at dizzying speed, grouped so closely that they may nearly be considered a solid object. It is within these marvels of engineering that the AI of the Indexer resides, cataloging and analyzing all the information that its adjuncts gather. [/columns] [/quote] [rule] [rule] [img]http://i.imgur.com/33743tu.png[/img] As the Indexer is not a true deity-AI, the magic that allows for the birth and growth of dragons is not present*. Despite this, the Indexer has two breeds aligned to it - though whether these may truly be termed 'dragons' is an argument that has persisted for decades. [size=2]*not sure if this is an "official" part of the SF Rising lore or not, but I have a hard time imagining FR AUs without it in some form so lmk if you have an alt version or anything??[/size] [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/14nnV1v.png[/img] [size=2]dont mind the wonky anatomy, was just trying to get the idea down real quick :P[/size][/center] [size=6]Courier Dragons[/size] [columns] [b]Obtained[/b] • N/A [nextcol] [img]http://i.imgur.com/XORaLXP.png[/img] [nextcol] [b]Rarity[/b] • Rare [nextcol] [img]http://i.imgur.com/XORaLXP.png[/img] [nextcol] [b]Breeding Cooldown[/b] • N/A [nextcol] [img]http://i.imgur.com/XORaLXP.png[/img] [nextcol] [b]Diet[/b] • Plants, Insects [/columns] [b]Overview[/b] Courier dragons are robust, medium-sized dragons, comparable in size to a Pearlcatcher. They are not capable of natural reproduction and must rely on the Indexer's technologies to reproduce. As such, their population is small and it is very rare that one will find a Courier living in another Flight. [b]Physical Attributes:[/b] Couriers are, in general, very average as dragons go: they are not the fastest, nor the strongest, nor the most attuned to magical energy. In fact, they are so conspicuously [i]average[/i] that one might think they were designed to be this way. While the Couriers have no skills in which they are outstanding, they're comfortably decent at all of them, and due to this they function as excellent backup crew or multi-task dragons. Unlike the rest of the dragon breeds, Couriers only have four limbs: wing-arms and hind legs. This doesn't harm their walking or flying ability any, but it does mean that they are (of course) distinctly average at both. Couriers also lack an inbuilt connection to any specific element, and it's this more than anything that marks them as not-dragon. Each Courier tends to gravitate toward a particular element, however, and given time and training they can learn to harness it. [b]Social:[/b] Courier dragons are highly social creatures. They require companionship with other thinking beings, whether their own species or otherwise, and need constant mental stimuli lest they turn to self-destructive behaviors to cope with the loneliness. Couriers are highly empathetic and react strongly to the moods of those surrounding them, and will quickly spiral down into suicidal behavior if those around them are stressed or upset. Due to their amicable and pliable natures they tend to get along well with other breeds. A Courier surrounded by another breed or culture will adopt its mannerisms in order to integrate itself more thoroughly. All Couriers speak their own language of clicks and whistles, but when in the presence of other breeds they will switch to Standard Draconic. Both Fae and Coatl dragons tend to have difficulty communicating with Couriers - the Fae due to lack of frills, and the Coatl due to the monotonously peppy tone the Couriers speak in. [b]Lairs:[/b] If given the choice, Couriers will gravitate toward more enclosed spaces, and if living on other Flights' ships will usually be found nesting in rarely-traveled nooks and crannies rather than proper rooms. They are able to live in a wide variety of spaces and environments without complaint, but given enough time they will eventually begin to collect their things somewhere out of the way and begin nesting. Couriers tend to be hoarders; anything given to them is only thrown away if it is broken beyond repair and cannot be re-purposed in something else. Their nests are made of their belongings and may be several times larger than the Courier itself. [b]Tactics:[/b] If presented with a combat situation, Couriers strongly prefer a flight reaction to a fight reaction. If there is any hope of escaping, no matter how slim, they will attempt to take it. If there is not, they attempt to bargain instead, offering objects or information in exchange for their freedom. If pushed to a fight, Couriers will usually only lash out in surprise and fear; generally they will not survive a pitched battle. Magical competence is rare in this breed, so their tactics rely on technological means and physical strength. [rule] [rule] breed #2 to be posted at some point in the future :'D
So, this idea has been kicking around in my head for a while, but I only recently thought to try and adapt it to Spaceflight Rising. If people are interested I can write up more? There's a lot of reasoning behind most of this too so if something seems odd there's probably a reason, please do ask :P

PvYfYZy.png
(aka: the Auction House and Courier dragons given a home region)

The dragons of the System Archives are compilers. They prefer to be as diligent and methodical as the computers they maintain. Of all the dragons, they are the most analytical, cataloging events and predicting trends based upon the data they have gathered, but rarely involving themselves in the affairs of the rest of the galaxy. Data strings and memory crystals are their favored treasures.

febtYH1.png
click for larger size
Zone Element ______
N/A
XORaLXP.png Reigning God ______
Indexer
XORaLXP.png Indigenous Life
Turbofox Drone, Dwarf Scanosphere
XORaLXP.png Region Population
data unavailable

The System Archives were once nothing more than an unremarkable binary star system without even bacterial life to call it home. After the arrival of the Indexer this remote star system has been transformed into a hub of information and commerce. All are welcome to visit - but few are permitted to stay.

Quote:

Mobius Array
R7zDm7y.png The homeland of all dragons born under the Indexer's watchful eye, whether they are made of flesh or of circuitry. The Array is a series of ring-pieces constructed around the system's main star, orbiting it like so many planetoids. The installations are each thousands of kilometers long, each of them a self-contained garden constructed to house the indigenous life of hundreds of worlds. It is here that visiting ships dock and ply their trade or offer information in hopes of payment - or if they are very lucky, an invitation of permanent inhabitance.

System Nodes
JiBl62y.png Bleak and desolate the natural planetoids of the Archive may be, but each of them holds riches beyond measure for those able to harvest and process them. From the gas giants the Indexer's adjuncts gather hydrogen and helium and other, stranger gases; from each of the rocky planetoids they mine aluminum and gold and carbon to maintain the development of the machinery that sustains life in this alien solar system.

The Hive
wNSdCeI.png To venture out of the System Archives is to invite danger, but the Indexer's children could not survive in isolation even if they wanted to. To this end there exists a fleet of starships - plodding behemoths, agile clippers, shuttles so small they're barely more than an engine, and everything in between. No matter their shape, all of them serve a single purpose: to gather knowledge and resources to bring back to their home system. The Hive's ships are few in number and generally not well-armed, and are a tempting target for many a pirate thanks to the precious data they carry.

The Registry
HlelYaS.png A binary star system it may be, but the Archives' second star is often forgotten. The red dwarf orbits its more luminous sibling as a planetoid rather than a true companion star, distant and so dim as to be nothing more than a particularly bright point in the night sky. Its unremarkable nature is its greatest defense: around this forgotten star is a lattice of rings rotating at dizzying speed, grouped so closely that they may nearly be considered a solid object. It is within these marvels of engineering that the AI of the Indexer resides, cataloging and analyzing all the information that its adjuncts gather.

33743tu.png

As the Indexer is not a true deity-AI, the magic that allows for the birth and growth of dragons is not present*. Despite this, the Indexer has two breeds aligned to it - though whether these may truly be termed 'dragons' is an argument that has persisted for decades.

*not sure if this is an "official" part of the SF Rising lore or not, but I have a hard time imagining FR AUs without it in some form so lmk if you have an alt version or anything??

14nnV1v.png
dont mind the wonky anatomy, was just trying to get the idea down real quick :P

Courier Dragons
Obtained
• N/A
XORaLXP.png Rarity
• Rare
XORaLXP.png Breeding Cooldown
• N/A
XORaLXP.png Diet
• Plants, Insects

Overview
Courier dragons are robust, medium-sized dragons, comparable in size to a Pearlcatcher. They are not capable of natural reproduction and must rely on the Indexer's technologies to reproduce. As such, their population is small and it is very rare that one will find a Courier living in another Flight.

Physical Attributes:
Couriers are, in general, very average as dragons go: they are not the fastest, nor the strongest, nor the most attuned to magical energy. In fact, they are so conspicuously average that one might think they were designed to be this way. While the Couriers have no skills in which they are outstanding, they're comfortably decent at all of them, and due to this they function as excellent backup crew or multi-task dragons.
Unlike the rest of the dragon breeds, Couriers only have four limbs: wing-arms and hind legs. This doesn't harm their walking or flying ability any, but it does mean that they are (of course) distinctly average at both. Couriers also lack an inbuilt connection to any specific element, and it's this more than anything that marks them as not-dragon. Each Courier tends to gravitate toward a particular element, however, and given time and training they can learn to harness it.

Social:
Courier dragons are highly social creatures. They require companionship with other thinking beings, whether their own species or otherwise, and need constant mental stimuli lest they turn to self-destructive behaviors to cope with the loneliness. Couriers are highly empathetic and react strongly to the moods of those surrounding them, and will quickly spiral down into suicidal behavior if those around them are stressed or upset.
Due to their amicable and pliable natures they tend to get along well with other breeds. A Courier surrounded by another breed or culture will adopt its mannerisms in order to integrate itself more thoroughly.
All Couriers speak their own language of clicks and whistles, but when in the presence of other breeds they will switch to Standard Draconic. Both Fae and Coatl dragons tend to have difficulty communicating with Couriers - the Fae due to lack of frills, and the Coatl due to the monotonously peppy tone the Couriers speak in.

Lairs:
If given the choice, Couriers will gravitate toward more enclosed spaces, and if living on other Flights' ships will usually be found nesting in rarely-traveled nooks and crannies rather than proper rooms. They are able to live in a wide variety of spaces and environments without complaint, but given enough time they will eventually begin to collect their things somewhere out of the way and begin nesting.
Couriers tend to be hoarders; anything given to them is only thrown away if it is broken beyond repair and cannot be re-purposed in something else. Their nests are made of their belongings and may be several times larger than the Courier itself.

Tactics:
If presented with a combat situation, Couriers strongly prefer a flight reaction to a fight reaction. If there is any hope of escaping, no matter how slim, they will attempt to take it. If there is not, they attempt to bargain instead, offering objects or information in exchange for their freedom. If pushed to a fight, Couriers will usually only lash out in surprise and fear; generally they will not survive a pitched battle. Magical competence is rare in this breed, so their tactics rely on technological means and physical strength.

breed #2 to be posted at some point in the future :'D
RUZTraI.png JTWHxfW.gif ======
13thKingdom wrote:
Lightweaver is clearly our Grand Nagus anyway.
She's got the biggest lobes.
@Kirmon64 oh gosh that's amazing! I love it!
@Kirmon64 oh gosh that's amazing! I love it!
@Gibby Thank you :'D I've been really inspired by all the lore things you've posted so it means a lot coming from you <3
@Gibby Thank you :'D I've been really inspired by all the lore things you've posted so it means a lot coming from you <3
RUZTraI.png JTWHxfW.gif ======
13thKingdom wrote:
Lightweaver is clearly our Grand Nagus anyway.
She's got the biggest lobes.
@Kirmon64 wow really!? Wow it makes me so happy that I've inspired you to contribute to my favorite flight rising au!
@Kirmon64 wow really!? Wow it makes me so happy that I've inspired you to contribute to my favorite flight rising au!
@Llealynarisia

Just browsing through your first post has got me hooked and it's an incredible idea. (Amazing what the half-delirious/asleep mind could think of, eh?) Sign me up for lore/art please!
@Llealynarisia

Just browsing through your first post has got me hooked and it's an incredible idea. (Amazing what the half-delirious/asleep mind could think of, eh?) Sign me up for lore/art please!
1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 55 56