Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Spaceflight Rising
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 55 56
@skyquest Thank you! I'm glad to see such a positive response to this so far, and I'm sure any ideas you come up with will be very helpful in developing this. :>

@Crookedjaw Heh, I may or may not have an idea for a short story, but I'll need to plan it out a bit more before I can start writing it (and also work on some other things that I've been putting off first).

@Deathtoll @Extus ...Those are giving me ideas. Lemme just add to the Plague Fleet section real quick.
@skyquest Thank you! I'm glad to see such a positive response to this so far, and I'm sure any ideas you come up with will be very helpful in developing this. :>

@Crookedjaw Heh, I may or may not have an idea for a short story, but I'll need to plan it out a bit more before I can start writing it (and also work on some other things that I've been putting off first).

@Deathtoll @Extus ...Those are giving me ideas. Lemme just add to the Plague Fleet section real quick.
BEw4O1O.png X9XFFVl.png
First thing I thought of is Wind flight ship designers inspired by ancient kite designs to create small in-system transports with large and delicate solar sails for propulsion. The designs are widely regarded as beautiful to watch, if a bit impractical compared to more standard propulsion technologies.

Oh, also: Scout craft designed for use by Fae pilots. Standard issue space suit for Imperial dragons. Same size.
First thing I thought of is Wind flight ship designers inspired by ancient kite designs to create small in-system transports with large and delicate solar sails for propulsion. The designs are widely regarded as beautiful to watch, if a bit impractical compared to more standard propulsion technologies.

Oh, also: Scout craft designed for use by Fae pilots. Standard issue space suit for Imperial dragons. Same size.
tumblr_ordbjfTBNv1s5xpeio1_100.png
Head over and show off your pack at the Mirror Lovers Association!

dRWGCfQ.png
@Wookiara Ooh, I'm imagining some possible designs now and they're just gorgeous. Yes yes yes.

Also, I had a really good laugh at that mental image. XD
@Wookiara Ooh, I'm imagining some possible designs now and they're just gorgeous. Yes yes yes.

Also, I had a really good laugh at that mental image. XD
BEw4O1O.png X9XFFVl.png
@Llealynarisia
IM GONNA TRY AND DRAW THINGS.

Also, this would be a great RP...

hhhh
@Llealynarisia
IM GONNA TRY AND DRAW THINGS.

Also, this would be a great RP...

hhhh
348a58bed57a6e78ddac805e55142143f489c2ca.png
@Llealynarisia

I have a hard time imagining dragons in spaceships though, especially given their respective sizes xD So will it be with anthropomorphic dragons (AKA humans) or actual ones?
@Llealynarisia

I have a hard time imagining dragons in spaceships though, especially given their respective sizes xD So will it be with anthropomorphic dragons (AKA humans) or actual ones?
qioWu9F.pngo9xkHM4.png73sUCnX.pngJVDVBna.pngbz42cD2.png
@Crookedjaw I was thinking actual ones. I don't really think it would be too difficult to imagine, to be honest, considering those size restrictions also apply to the canon setting (some of my friends and I headcanon that pieces of apparel come in different sizes--and sometimes shapes--for different breeds, but they're otherwise the exact same thing). It would be like what Wookiara described above; some breeds wouldn't be able to fit into certain places, and different breeds would have different perspectives on the same areas (a regularly walkway for, say, a Guardian would seem like a marathon track for a Fae or Nocturne).

The hub ships were designed to accommodate the largest breeds space wise, though they would have plenty of equipment and such in different sizes for all the breeds. Individual clan ships would also vary in size, depending on how many they are and the average size of their members.

@firewyrm2018 Yee, I would love to see them when you're finished~ And you're right, this could make a potentially fun RP...hm....
@Crookedjaw I was thinking actual ones. I don't really think it would be too difficult to imagine, to be honest, considering those size restrictions also apply to the canon setting (some of my friends and I headcanon that pieces of apparel come in different sizes--and sometimes shapes--for different breeds, but they're otherwise the exact same thing). It would be like what Wookiara described above; some breeds wouldn't be able to fit into certain places, and different breeds would have different perspectives on the same areas (a regularly walkway for, say, a Guardian would seem like a marathon track for a Fae or Nocturne).

The hub ships were designed to accommodate the largest breeds space wise, though they would have plenty of equipment and such in different sizes for all the breeds. Individual clan ships would also vary in size, depending on how many they are and the average size of their members.

@firewyrm2018 Yee, I would love to see them when you're finished~ And you're right, this could make a potentially fun RP...hm....
BEw4O1O.png X9XFFVl.png
@Llealynarisia Scale would get weird pretty quickly in space anyway, having sizes range from 0.5 to 30 meters just speeds that up.

@firewyrm2018 I'm with them^, I'd love to see this. And the RP would be interesting to plan out, if it happens.
@Llealynarisia Scale would get weird pretty quickly in space anyway, having sizes range from 0.5 to 30 meters just speeds that up.

@firewyrm2018 I'm with them^, I'd love to see this. And the RP would be interesting to plan out, if it happens.
fOSQCIF.pngFR+3zzLDnv4.png Stuff I write
@Llealynarisia Oh my wow.

Flight Rising 2.0 confirmed.
@Llealynarisia Oh my wow.

Flight Rising 2.0 confirmed.
2e1vqdf.jpgb3JnDBj.gif
FIRST, I WANT THIS AU TO BE A THING
SECOND, I MUST DO HEADCANONS FOR IT

So we've seen how Lightning Fleet ships get their energy - they harvest it from plasma. But what about the other fleets? I was thinking (and this is just a headcanon, ofc):

Water Fleet ships could have some sort of turbines that pick up movement in the water from pseudo-gravitational forces, dragons swimming around, etc. - but I don't know exactly how this would work.

Nature Fleet ships are basically giant solar panels

Plague Fleet ships absorb waste/discarded material from resident dragons and convert it into energy. Maybe their ships could have some sort of heart-like thing in the middle that distributes energy throughout the ship?

Fire Fleet ships: BURN EVERYTHING. WE GET OUR ENERGY FROM COMBUSTION

Earth Fleet ships could have some sort of mantle of liquid rock right near the outsides of their ships that absorb solar energy to power convection currents that provide sources of pure energy for the dragons to maintain their ships

Arcane Fleet - magic. What else?

Shadow Fleet - very, very tiny black holes; it may seem counterintuitive, but they could theoretically power their ships off Hawking radiation (especially if the ships absorb other energies as well).

Wind Fleet - perhaps they could gather energy from stellar winds when passing through them and hoard that energy for when they're travelling through empty space.

Ice Fleet - I guess they wouldn't need much energy, being totally freezing at all, but maybe what little warmth they gather could emanate from a giant furry thing at the center of the ship, kinda like a hibernating polar bear. I'm totally not saying that just 'cause Icewarden is so furry no seriously

Light Fleet - All you need are a couple cool tools and a copy of "The Care and Keeping of Neutron Stars," and you're good to go. (But really, a neutron star actually seems like a thing a Light ship would contain.)

That was a lot longer than I'd originally anticipated! But cool AU ideas deserve long responses. c:
FIRST, I WANT THIS AU TO BE A THING
SECOND, I MUST DO HEADCANONS FOR IT

So we've seen how Lightning Fleet ships get their energy - they harvest it from plasma. But what about the other fleets? I was thinking (and this is just a headcanon, ofc):

Water Fleet ships could have some sort of turbines that pick up movement in the water from pseudo-gravitational forces, dragons swimming around, etc. - but I don't know exactly how this would work.

Nature Fleet ships are basically giant solar panels

Plague Fleet ships absorb waste/discarded material from resident dragons and convert it into energy. Maybe their ships could have some sort of heart-like thing in the middle that distributes energy throughout the ship?

Fire Fleet ships: BURN EVERYTHING. WE GET OUR ENERGY FROM COMBUSTION

Earth Fleet ships could have some sort of mantle of liquid rock right near the outsides of their ships that absorb solar energy to power convection currents that provide sources of pure energy for the dragons to maintain their ships

Arcane Fleet - magic. What else?

Shadow Fleet - very, very tiny black holes; it may seem counterintuitive, but they could theoretically power their ships off Hawking radiation (especially if the ships absorb other energies as well).

Wind Fleet - perhaps they could gather energy from stellar winds when passing through them and hoard that energy for when they're travelling through empty space.

Ice Fleet - I guess they wouldn't need much energy, being totally freezing at all, but maybe what little warmth they gather could emanate from a giant furry thing at the center of the ship, kinda like a hibernating polar bear. I'm totally not saying that just 'cause Icewarden is so furry no seriously

Light Fleet - All you need are a couple cool tools and a copy of "The Care and Keeping of Neutron Stars," and you're good to go. (But really, a neutron star actually seems like a thing a Light ship would contain.)

That was a lot longer than I'd originally anticipated! But cool AU ideas deserve long responses. c:
Oh my god this is amazing. I just finished re-reading ender's game - what if each flight had a battle school similar to the one in ender's? And that could function sort of as the coliseum? Teachers and army commanders would be coli trainers, and the 6 day olds that glitch in as hatchlings could be representative of Bean and Ender :')
Oh my god this is amazing. I just finished re-reading ender's game - what if each flight had a battle school similar to the one in ender's? And that could function sort of as the coliseum? Teachers and army commanders would be coli trainers, and the 6 day olds that glitch in as hatchlings could be representative of Bean and Ender :')

puffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuffpuff

FR +9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 55 56