Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Spaceflight Rising
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 55 56
[img]http://khannea-suntzu.zerostate.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/demotivation___true_neutral_by_quicksilver221.jpg[/img] Water Fleet
demotivation___true_neutral_by_quicksilver221.jpg

Water Fleet
25tdzx0.gif
@Llealynarisia Oh wow this thread is great, can I get added to every pinglist?
I've been thinking about medicine and bio mods in this AU, here's what I came up with.
Nature would have hands down the best doctors around, great at reconstructive surgery and making new organs from the donor's cells, so pretty much if you lost a limb you could get a new one, exactly the same in form and function as the old one.
A cheaper alternative would be Plague, they'd be willing to play doctors as well... If you don't mind your new limb having a bit too many joints and strange, tumorous growths all over it (and slowly spreading to the rest of your body). But who cares, you can crush rocks with it!
Lighting is the most high-tech flight, so they'd make various cyberpunk-ish augmentations a la Deus Ex. Bionic limbs, artificial internal organs, also probably power armors and robots with big guns.
Arcane on the other hand wouldn't care much about physical bodies, since if you get hurt you can just upload yourself and everything is great. They'd be heavy on brain modifications, connecting living brains to machines, merging flesh and technology and also pioneering new exalting/uploading/conversion tech. They'd make the best AI's around and would have laws granting said AI's same privileges as normal dragons. They'd have the highest rate of uploaded to non uploaded dragons, and some uploaded would go as far as to make copies of themselves to research more efficiently.
Aaaand Arcane would also be your best bet if you wanted some... ethically dubious research done. Arcane laboratory ships would be high on the list of the most terrifying places in this AU. Dragons who board one (either prisoners of war or randoms bought from Shadow flight on their black market) tend to disappear forever...
@Llealynarisia Oh wow this thread is great, can I get added to every pinglist?
I've been thinking about medicine and bio mods in this AU, here's what I came up with.
Nature would have hands down the best doctors around, great at reconstructive surgery and making new organs from the donor's cells, so pretty much if you lost a limb you could get a new one, exactly the same in form and function as the old one.
A cheaper alternative would be Plague, they'd be willing to play doctors as well... If you don't mind your new limb having a bit too many joints and strange, tumorous growths all over it (and slowly spreading to the rest of your body). But who cares, you can crush rocks with it!
Lighting is the most high-tech flight, so they'd make various cyberpunk-ish augmentations a la Deus Ex. Bionic limbs, artificial internal organs, also probably power armors and robots with big guns.
Arcane on the other hand wouldn't care much about physical bodies, since if you get hurt you can just upload yourself and everything is great. They'd be heavy on brain modifications, connecting living brains to machines, merging flesh and technology and also pioneering new exalting/uploading/conversion tech. They'd make the best AI's around and would have laws granting said AI's same privileges as normal dragons. They'd have the highest rate of uploaded to non uploaded dragons, and some uploaded would go as far as to make copies of themselves to research more efficiently.
Aaaand Arcane would also be your best bet if you wanted some... ethically dubious research done. Arcane laboratory ships would be high on the list of the most terrifying places in this AU. Dragons who board one (either prisoners of war or randoms bought from Shadow flight on their black market) tend to disappear forever...
eZ8WjnI.pngk6ftfga.png
@SuperMachina That idea could work just as well...or even both of them!

@ProfessorAsh I can definitely see at least some clans having multiple ships, same as some clans might have one really large ship. It would likely depend on individual/clan basis.

@Karaeir That is great~ Definitely linking this one~
@SuperMachina That idea could work just as well...or even both of them!

@ProfessorAsh I can definitely see at least some clans having multiple ships, same as some clans might have one really large ship. It would likely depend on individual/clan basis.

@Karaeir That is great~ Definitely linking this one~
Garden-of-Shadows-Signature.png X9XFFVl.png
Also, add me to both of the pinglists, this idea is too good not to give up!
Also, add me to both of the pinglists, this idea is too good not to give up!
jP1YKwX.pngTe3AobE.png
hmm.... wind...

Widely regarded as a peaceful flight, Wind is actually... pretty peaceful, for the most part. Their aerodynamic ships, while not all that fast or useful in the void of space, allow them to make quick looting runs on nearby planets if need be. Wind clans tend not to go into orbit where they don't need to, preferring to drift in space without a clear intent until it strikes them.

Unlike most other fleets, Wind doesn't have a central hub. Well, it does, but it's closer to a nebulous cloud of smaller ships clustered around a slightly larger 'main' ship than any sort of dreadnought or mothership. This constantly changing network of ships is the equivalent of the 'Cloudsong', a place where many influential dragons come to talk business or gossip, no matter the flight.

Wind ships are the most common around the Cloudsong-equivalent, but often Shadow spaceships dart in and out, and Water ships hover on the fringes occasionally.

Larger wind ships depend on solar winds for space travel, and carry energy harvested from solar winds to propel them in empty space. This poses a problem for interstellar travel, however, and Wind ships hitchhike on whatever spaceships are readily available; however, they tend to avoid physically boarding Water ships because of some long-held grudge (the details of which have been lost to time, although many Wind clans hypothesize that it had something to do with the Lightning fleet).

If a Wind dragon happens to find itself in the service of another fleet, they tend to run communications systems or recon. Wind pilots are some of the best pilots for scouting missions; they become infinitely more effective when they have access to Shadow cloaking technology.

The smallest wind ships, designed to hold only one dragon, operate very similarly to one-Mirror pods--a dragon is placed into a custom harness, and the harness converts the dragon's motions into a directional operation system (very Pacific Rim-esque). However, a custom harness also means a custom ship; Wind's longtime on-again-off-again partnership with Fire allows them to order such custom ships in bulk, but also means that ships are in short supply at times. These ships also sport an alarmingly advanced communications array.

Artisans tend to be the most at home with the Wind fleet as well. Wind, being the fleet that travels the most, brings many artisans along with it when they visit planets for longer than just a fly-by. Wind dragons are not ones for wasted space--any empty bunks due to missing/dead crew members tend to be filled within a couple of days.

Wind consciousness AI-s tend to be stored on drives and swapped around ship-to-ship until the captain finds one that it likes more than the others. However, this also means that AIs that have been swapped around more have less of a devotion to a single captain and more to the entire fleet.

Individual Wind clans aren't much for fighting and most fleets regard them as not much of a threat--their garishly-colored ships demonstrate as much--but ships tend to be at least lightly shielded and Wind fleet's weapon of choice are phasers.

When a Wind ship is built with fighting in mind, it presents itself much in the same way that a Spiral would--fast and hard to lock onto. These ships usually disregard heavy shielding in favor of speed. It's quite easy to destroy a Wind dreadnought--however, ships are mostly comprised of detachable pods and a main core; when a section is hit, it's simply cast off and the dreadnought resumes its flight. (There is little regard for individual lives; many dragons choose to upload themselves at least partially into the Wind database so that they might be able to continue travelling for eons, and with Wind being one of the most populous fleets, there's really no shortage of pilots.) If the core is hit, however, that starship is more or less doomed.

...that's all i can think of hmm
hmm.... wind...

Widely regarded as a peaceful flight, Wind is actually... pretty peaceful, for the most part. Their aerodynamic ships, while not all that fast or useful in the void of space, allow them to make quick looting runs on nearby planets if need be. Wind clans tend not to go into orbit where they don't need to, preferring to drift in space without a clear intent until it strikes them.

Unlike most other fleets, Wind doesn't have a central hub. Well, it does, but it's closer to a nebulous cloud of smaller ships clustered around a slightly larger 'main' ship than any sort of dreadnought or mothership. This constantly changing network of ships is the equivalent of the 'Cloudsong', a place where many influential dragons come to talk business or gossip, no matter the flight.

Wind ships are the most common around the Cloudsong-equivalent, but often Shadow spaceships dart in and out, and Water ships hover on the fringes occasionally.

Larger wind ships depend on solar winds for space travel, and carry energy harvested from solar winds to propel them in empty space. This poses a problem for interstellar travel, however, and Wind ships hitchhike on whatever spaceships are readily available; however, they tend to avoid physically boarding Water ships because of some long-held grudge (the details of which have been lost to time, although many Wind clans hypothesize that it had something to do with the Lightning fleet).

If a Wind dragon happens to find itself in the service of another fleet, they tend to run communications systems or recon. Wind pilots are some of the best pilots for scouting missions; they become infinitely more effective when they have access to Shadow cloaking technology.

The smallest wind ships, designed to hold only one dragon, operate very similarly to one-Mirror pods--a dragon is placed into a custom harness, and the harness converts the dragon's motions into a directional operation system (very Pacific Rim-esque). However, a custom harness also means a custom ship; Wind's longtime on-again-off-again partnership with Fire allows them to order such custom ships in bulk, but also means that ships are in short supply at times. These ships also sport an alarmingly advanced communications array.

Artisans tend to be the most at home with the Wind fleet as well. Wind, being the fleet that travels the most, brings many artisans along with it when they visit planets for longer than just a fly-by. Wind dragons are not ones for wasted space--any empty bunks due to missing/dead crew members tend to be filled within a couple of days.

Wind consciousness AI-s tend to be stored on drives and swapped around ship-to-ship until the captain finds one that it likes more than the others. However, this also means that AIs that have been swapped around more have less of a devotion to a single captain and more to the entire fleet.

Individual Wind clans aren't much for fighting and most fleets regard them as not much of a threat--their garishly-colored ships demonstrate as much--but ships tend to be at least lightly shielded and Wind fleet's weapon of choice are phasers.

When a Wind ship is built with fighting in mind, it presents itself much in the same way that a Spiral would--fast and hard to lock onto. These ships usually disregard heavy shielding in favor of speed. It's quite easy to destroy a Wind dreadnought--however, ships are mostly comprised of detachable pods and a main core; when a section is hit, it's simply cast off and the dreadnought resumes its flight. (There is little regard for individual lives; many dragons choose to upload themselves at least partially into the Wind database so that they might be able to continue travelling for eons, and with Wind being one of the most populous fleets, there's really no shortage of pilots.) If the core is hit, however, that starship is more or less doomed.

...that's all i can think of hmm
hpOdUl3.png
@Llealynarisia

First, can I be added to the ping lists? Also, I have some ideas about Nature.

Nature ships are grown in high tech labs, which reside in various space stations across space. Since they are grown, they can become different shapes, sizes, and hybrids of each other. They use poison-tipped thorn blades and metal-eating acid (natural poison) as weapons. There are a couple classes:

Seed: These are small shuttlepods with hard exteriors, used to planet landings and one man missions.
Petal: These are sleek, decorative vehicles used for diplomatic missions and peace treaties. They are warm, welcoming and friendly.
Thorn: These are the large warships, covered in razor sharp spikes that can pierce through even the toughest Earth ship. However, they are bulky and take a long time to grow- a couple years, at least.
Root: These are used for stealth. They "burrow" into enemy lines by taking the form of the other Flight's fleet, and then attacking.
Mushroom: These ships are shaped like darts, and tipped with a natural poison that eats away at metal in less then a minute. These are the long-range ships, that are meant to finish the enemy off.

Other things:

Nature people are peace loving, but can be fierce when it comes to protecting their own. They have a great space station called the Behemoth, which is protected by Thorns and Mushrooms. It produces most of their ships.
Nature has no need for metal or other such items, so they turn those into deadly shrapnel which they can then fire at enemy ships.
Nature ships have a heart, a pulsing center of life. If the heart of a ship is somehow destroyed, the ship will become lifeless and dead, floating in space. The crew normally has oxygen tanks and food rations for this kind of situation. The death of a ship is mourned, as the ships are semi-intelligent and can feel small amounts of emotion: joy, sadness, and anger are the most common.
@Llealynarisia

First, can I be added to the ping lists? Also, I have some ideas about Nature.

Nature ships are grown in high tech labs, which reside in various space stations across space. Since they are grown, they can become different shapes, sizes, and hybrids of each other. They use poison-tipped thorn blades and metal-eating acid (natural poison) as weapons. There are a couple classes:

Seed: These are small shuttlepods with hard exteriors, used to planet landings and one man missions.
Petal: These are sleek, decorative vehicles used for diplomatic missions and peace treaties. They are warm, welcoming and friendly.
Thorn: These are the large warships, covered in razor sharp spikes that can pierce through even the toughest Earth ship. However, they are bulky and take a long time to grow- a couple years, at least.
Root: These are used for stealth. They "burrow" into enemy lines by taking the form of the other Flight's fleet, and then attacking.
Mushroom: These ships are shaped like darts, and tipped with a natural poison that eats away at metal in less then a minute. These are the long-range ships, that are meant to finish the enemy off.

Other things:

Nature people are peace loving, but can be fierce when it comes to protecting their own. They have a great space station called the Behemoth, which is protected by Thorns and Mushrooms. It produces most of their ships.
Nature has no need for metal or other such items, so they turn those into deadly shrapnel which they can then fire at enemy ships.
Nature ships have a heart, a pulsing center of life. If the heart of a ship is somehow destroyed, the ship will become lifeless and dead, floating in space. The crew normally has oxygen tanks and food rations for this kind of situation. The death of a ship is mourned, as the ships are semi-intelligent and can feel small amounts of emotion: joy, sadness, and anger are the most common.
xy | they/xem | +3 fr time | gen1s for sale
[quote name="WildOats" date=2015-10-21 14:18:02] @Llealynarisia I had no idea that I needed this in my life. But I do. It's like Battlestar Galactica and Flight Rising rolled together. And I can't help but think of the Plague Fleet having similar features to Species 8472 from Star Trek: Voyager. But ok, I'll just be here nerding out. Carry on, everyone. [/quote] @WildOats Wouldn't Plague be a bit more like the Borg? http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Borg And maybe Arcane would be kinda like a bunch of less powerful Qs... http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Q_(species)
WildOats wrote on 2015-10-21:
@Llealynarisia

I had no idea that I needed this in my life. But I do. It's like Battlestar Galactica and Flight Rising rolled together. And I can't help but think of the Plague Fleet having similar features to Species 8472 from Star Trek: Voyager.

But ok, I'll just be here nerding out. Carry on, everyone.

@WildOats
Wouldn't Plague be a bit more like the Borg?
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Borg

And maybe Arcane would be kinda like a bunch of less powerful Qs...
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Q_(species)
xy | they/xem | +3 fr time | gen1s for sale
Pinglists have been updated!

@FeatherAsh I'm really liking this~ Though, I do have one minor nitpick; Gladekeeper would be the name of the God AI that helps to run Nature Fleet as a whole, rather than a ship. I've been using the names of the flight subregions for the core ships, so perhaps The Behemoth would work as a suitable name for their shipyard/station?
Pinglists have been updated!

@FeatherAsh I'm really liking this~ Though, I do have one minor nitpick; Gladekeeper would be the name of the God AI that helps to run Nature Fleet as a whole, rather than a ship. I've been using the names of the flight subregions for the core ships, so perhaps The Behemoth would work as a suitable name for their shipyard/station?
Garden-of-Shadows-Signature.png X9XFFVl.png
@FeatherAsh
Arcane being less powerful Q is pretty great, sort of "they are not there yet but just you wait a couple hundred years..."
@FeatherAsh
Arcane being less powerful Q is pretty great, sort of "they are not there yet but just you wait a couple hundred years..."
eZ8WjnI.pngk6ftfga.png
@Karaeir @FeatherAsh
Now you're making me think of a Tenchi Muyo! merger <_<; Arcanist ~ Washuu and for some reason I'm thinking Mihoshi ~ Windsinger >_< (That works better than it should)

Tsunami ~ Gladekeeper; I've been getting a Jurainian vibe from most of the Nature fleet description.
@Karaeir @FeatherAsh
Now you're making me think of a Tenchi Muyo! merger <_<; Arcanist ~ Washuu and for some reason I'm thinking Mihoshi ~ Windsinger >_< (That works better than it should)

Tsunami ~ Gladekeeper; I've been getting a Jurainian vibe from most of the Nature fleet description.
Rule #1:
There are always exceptions to the rules.

KnCHVU9.png
J9uDXUp.png

//
tumblr_inline_ny1gxqcPe11qmzhvw_540.png
//

I never saw my shadow till I saw the light
now I need more light to drown it out
-Massivivid
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 55 56