Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | {Jack-O-Lanterns} - Nature/Shadow Sub
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
So I had been buying some various Halloween themed dragons because I was super excited for the upcoming holiday. Working with @UserofShadows, I created a Shadow subspecies for one pair, while the other didn't seem to fit in ONLY Shadow. Therefore, I propose a joint subspecies for Shadow and Nature. Thoughts? [center][b]Now officially recognized by both Shadow and Nature as a cross-flight subspecies![/b] Lore and additional details, along with a group hatchery is in the works. [/center] ---------- [center][size=6][color=green][b]Jack-O-Lanterns[/b][/color][/size] [color=purple][i]This subspecies is known for its ties to both Shadow and Nature flights. Shadow due to its trickster nature (no pun intended) and Nature due to the fact that they are inspired by a fruit.[/i][/color] [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=46&wing=34&style=9&gender=0&ages=1&prig=2&secg=2&tert=48&elem=7&tertgene=10&spec=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=47&wing=34&style=8&gender=1&ages=1&prig=7&secg=1&tert=48&elem=10&tertgene=10&spec=prev.png[/img][/center] [color=purple][b]Breeds: [/b][/color]Any [color=purple][b]Genes: [/b][/color]Any Primary/Secondary allowed with Glimmer/Underbelly Tertiary [color=purple][b]Colors: [/b][/color][i]Primary[/i]: Sunshine, Orange, Fire; [i]Secondary[/i]: Emerald, Jungle, Forest; [i]Tertiary[/i]: Sunshine, Orange, Fire [color=purple][b]Eyes: [/b][/color]Any allowed with Shadow or Nature preferred (**Can use Light or Fire eyes to give the effect of a lit candle**) [i]Lore has yet to be written for them, but basically I am thinking that they are sentient mutations of pumpkins that take on the physical appearance of the fruit. They often are found with various facial expressions that rarely change and tend to be mischievous, playing tricks on any dragons nearby.[/i] ---------- I also have been considering (thanks to a recommendation by @SouthFarthing) creating some accents that would go along with the theme. Would anyone be interested in that? ---------- [center][b]Official Lore[/b][/center] [quote] [columns] [img]http://36.media.tumblr.com/0ce63e988c578ac413d91cc648d1ea54/tumblr_inline_nll4810VU01qg2i5p_400.png[/img] [nextcol][center][color=#4B0082] [size=6][font=Optima]Name[/size][/font] [size=5][font=Optima][b]The Jack-O-Lantern[/b][/size][/font] [size=3][font=Optima][i]A Shadow/Nature Subspecies[/i][/size][/font] mysterious | protective | loyal[/color] -----[/center] [font=Optima] Between the Tangled Woods and the Viridian Labyrinth lies a small island. You cannot find this island on any map and many question its presence as it can only be seen on the night of a lunar event. The mysterious invisibility is not the only magical quality about this island, though. Set behind a moat of forest exists a garden. Within this garden, the Gladekeeper and Shadow binder tend to the most incredible fruit to ever exist: pumpkins. These are not just any pumpkins, though. These pumpkins are grown with a sole purpose: the protection of Shadowlings and Seedlings. Gladekeeper tends to the young fruit, helping it to quickly grow strong and sturdy. Once reaching its peak of ripeness, Shadowbinder harvests the fruit by carving a face into the front of it. Once the face has been carved, she inserts a special trinket, a leaf from Gladekeeper coated in the shadows that ooze forth from Shadowbinder herself, into the center of the jack-o-lantern. As they are immersed in a revitalizing spring, a miraculous change takes place. This once mundane fruit emerges from the spring in the form of a dragon. These dragons are immediately sent to lairs all around Sornieth, carefully instructed on where to find their dragon. Once found, they will protect this dragon at all costs. They are the undying servant to this dragon, guarding them against any onslaught or attack. [/font] [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/baz/1451131]Jack-O-Lanterns[/url][/center] [nextcol] [img]https://41.media.tumblr.com/94da29902b9a6757ecf5d3265023223d/tumblr_nq5aftHJAP1uw70xko1_400.png[/img] [/columns] [/quote] Ideas that helped create the finished lore: [quote name="Turnipseed" date=2015-09-24 10:23:03] I support these pumpkins with my whole little foodie heart. Also I have immediately headcannoned that they originate from a magical pumpkin patch on the border between shadow and nature lands (shhh, the border totally isn't underwater or anything) and instead of hatching out of eggs they grow on vines and awaken when fully formed. Gladekeeper and droolmama probably tend to the patch personally too. WEARING LITTLE OLD LADY GARDENING HATS >:D just saying don't mind me [/quote] [quote name="Skellington10802" date=2015-09-24 13:52:54] Miyazaki The main reason for Glimmer is to give it a look of sparkling/shining like a real Jack-O-Lantern would have from the light inside. That was my thought process originally, but based off of Turnipseed's recommendation about the lore, it could also be incorporated that way somehow. Maybe it could be noted that a true JoL would have Glimmer because it gets water from a magical spring that glitters during the fall season, but during the off season, there is no glitter and therefore they come out with Underbelly, instead. Thoughts on that? [/quote] [quote name="Skellington10802" date=2015-09-24 23:21:06] [quote name="Turnipseed" date=2015-09-24 23:08:35] Skellington10802 I love the dried up pumpkins they're so autumny. I also love the ivory tert. Not so sure about the grey smoke, just because orange-grey combos remind me of traffic cones on roads tbh, but other ppl like it so don't listen to me XD. I have a lore question though: Who is carving them? Are gladekeeper and droolmomma sitting in the patch in their little granny hats carving away, or are dragons going out and picking the pumpkins to carve, which brings life into them and makes them... kinda like a golem? (or something else lol, don't mind me I'm a lore nerd >.<) [/quote] Turnipseed I really like that idea. It is really a cool concept and could create some amazing lore possibilities! Dragons come from all across Sornieth to this mysterious island between the Tangled Wood and the Viridian Labyrinth. They pick out a pumpkin and carve a face into it. The mysterious energy from the island water transforms them into a golem-like sentient dragon. I can absolutely work with that! [/quote] ---------- [center][b]Subspecies Alternates Suggested[/b] _______________________________ [b]On the Vine[/b] [i]*Emerald;Jungle;Forest tertiary instead[/i] [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=47&wing=33&style=9&gender=0&ages=1&prig=6&secg=6&tert=34&elem=6&tertgene=5&spec=prev.png[/img] _______________________________ [b]Freshly Carved[/b] [i]*Ivory tertiary instead {see @ElectricPegasus' *unnamed* Tundras}[/i] [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=47&wing=36&style=9&gender=0&ages=1&prig=8&secg=11&tert=44&elem=8&tertgene=10&spec=prev.png[/img] _______________________________ [b]Doused[/b] [i]*Grey-range Smoke tertiary instead[/i] [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=48&wing=33&style=9&gender=0&ages=1&prig=6&secg=7&tert=46&elem=7&tertgene=7&spec=prev.png[/img] _______________________________ [b]Novembers[/b] [i]*Secondary and/or Tertiary Black or Brown range {see @Skyflu's Jack & o'Lantern} *Also a Gembond tertiary alternative[/i] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14368495] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/143685/14368495_350.png[/img] [/url] [/center]
So I had been buying some various Halloween themed dragons because I was super excited for the upcoming holiday. Working with @UserofShadows, I created a Shadow subspecies for one pair, while the other didn't seem to fit in ONLY Shadow. Therefore, I propose a joint subspecies for Shadow and Nature. Thoughts?

Now officially recognized by both Shadow and Nature as a cross-flight subspecies!
Lore and additional details, along with a group hatchery is in the works.

Jack-O-Lanterns
This subspecies is known for its ties to both Shadow and Nature flights. Shadow due to its trickster nature (no pun intended) and Nature due to the fact that they are inspired by a fruit.
dragonpic2.php?body=46&wing=34&style=9&gender=0&ages=1&prig=2&secg=2&tert=48&elem=7&tertgene=10&spec=prev.png
dragonpic2.php?body=47&wing=34&style=8&gender=1&ages=1&prig=7&secg=1&tert=48&elem=10&tertgene=10&spec=prev.png

Breeds: Any
Genes: Any Primary/Secondary allowed with Glimmer/Underbelly Tertiary
Colors: Primary: Sunshine, Orange, Fire; Secondary: Emerald, Jungle, Forest; Tertiary: Sunshine, Orange, Fire
Eyes: Any allowed with Shadow or Nature preferred (**Can use Light or Fire eyes to give the effect of a lit candle**)

Lore has yet to be written for them, but basically I am thinking that they are sentient mutations of pumpkins that take on the physical appearance of the fruit. They often are found with various facial expressions that rarely change and tend to be mischievous, playing tricks on any dragons nearby.

I also have been considering (thanks to a recommendation by @SouthFarthing) creating some accents that would go along with the theme. Would anyone be interested in that?

Official Lore

Quote:
tumblr_inline_nll4810VU01qg2i5p_400.png

Name
The Jack-O-Lantern
A Shadow/Nature Subspecies
mysterious | protective | loyal

Between the Tangled Woods and the Viridian Labyrinth lies a small island. You cannot find this island on any map and many question its presence as it can only be seen on the night of a lunar event. The mysterious invisibility is not the only magical quality about this island, though.

Set behind a moat of forest exists a garden. Within this garden, the Gladekeeper and Shadow binder tend to the most incredible fruit to ever exist: pumpkins. These are not just any pumpkins, though. These pumpkins are grown with a sole purpose: the protection of Shadowlings and Seedlings.

Gladekeeper tends to the young fruit, helping it to quickly grow strong and sturdy. Once reaching its peak of ripeness, Shadowbinder harvests the fruit by carving a face into the front of it. Once the face has been carved, she inserts a special trinket, a leaf from Gladekeeper coated in the shadows that ooze forth from Shadowbinder herself, into the center of the jack-o-lantern.

As they are immersed in a revitalizing spring, a miraculous change takes place. This once mundane fruit emerges from the spring in the form of a dragon. These dragons are immediately sent to lairs all around Sornieth, carefully instructed on where to find their dragon. Once found, they will protect this dragon at all costs. They are the undying servant to this dragon, guarding them against any onslaught or attack.

tumblr_nq5aftHJAP1uw70xko1_400.png

Ideas that helped create the finished lore:
Turnipseed wrote on 2015-09-24:
I support these pumpkins with my whole little foodie heart. Also I have immediately headcannoned that they originate from a magical pumpkin patch on the border between shadow and nature lands (shhh, the border totally isn't underwater or anything) and instead of hatching out of eggs they grow on vines and awaken when fully formed. Gladekeeper and droolmama probably tend to the patch personally too. WEARING LITTLE OLD LADY GARDENING HATS >:D just saying don't mind me
Skellington10802 wrote on 2015-09-24:
Miyazaki
The main reason for Glimmer is to give it a look of sparkling/shining like a real Jack-O-Lantern would have from the light inside. That was my thought process originally, but based off of Turnipseed's recommendation about the lore, it could also be incorporated that way somehow.

Maybe it could be noted that a true JoL would have Glimmer because it gets water from a magical spring that glitters during the fall season, but during the off season, there is no glitter and therefore they come out with Underbelly, instead. Thoughts on that?
Skellington10802 wrote on 2015-09-24:
Turnipseed wrote on 2015-09-24:
Skellington10802 I love the dried up pumpkins they're so autumny. I also love the ivory tert. Not so sure about the grey smoke, just because orange-grey combos remind me of traffic cones on roads tbh, but other ppl like it so don't listen to me XD. I have a lore question though: Who is carving them? Are gladekeeper and droolmomma sitting in the patch in their little granny hats carving away, or are dragons going out and picking the pumpkins to carve, which brings life into them and makes them... kinda like a golem? (or something else lol, don't mind me I'm a lore nerd >.<)

Turnipseed
I really like that idea. It is really a cool concept and could create some amazing lore possibilities! Dragons come from all across Sornieth to this mysterious island between the Tangled Wood and the Viridian Labyrinth. They pick out a pumpkin and carve a face into it. The mysterious energy from the island water transforms them into a golem-like sentient dragon. I can absolutely work with that!

Subspecies Alternates Suggested

14368495_350.png
j9zycYT.png tumblr_nq7m7pUQF91uw70xko1_250.png rve27oV.png MmlJdVb.png

hallowsmallsig_by_dragoonwys-d9e6lsm.png
vanitas_familiar_by_nightshadelewolf-d9b7wdw.png
pcmbO7a.png
lCsLw2i.png glowshroom_bottle.png
This is a cool idea! Definitely ping me if you make a shop with anyone. :D
This is a cool idea! Definitely ping me if you make a shop with anyone. :D
n1ngOA5.png

aeonox_signature_by_jenihudson-d8x54uk.png
@Skellington10802

I'd have to clear out some lair space, but I'd be willing to loan out my nest for Nature-eyed dragons. These are adorable and I want one! If you or anyone else in Shadow working on this subspecies wants to rent a nest or two from me, I'll do it no cost outside of a little bit of food donation for the temporary visitors. All I really ask is if I see a hatchling I really like, I be allowed to purchase it at half the price the owner of the parents would charge.
@Skellington10802

I'd have to clear out some lair space, but I'd be willing to loan out my nest for Nature-eyed dragons. These are adorable and I want one! If you or anyone else in Shadow working on this subspecies wants to rent a nest or two from me, I'll do it no cost outside of a little bit of food donation for the temporary visitors. All I really ask is if I see a hatchling I really like, I be allowed to purchase it at half the price the owner of the parents would charge.
tumblr_ntwzxj7Nls1r7cw6zo3_100.png
tumblr_ovrxykc6Gp1s8e6zvo2_100.png
@Skellington10802 Moved to Dragon Share

Also, REALLY nice breeding plans btw!
@Skellington10802 Moved to Dragon Share

Also, REALLY nice breeding plans btw!
ZC2TB9H.png93Yl0PJ.pngvWYjbLO.png
@Aeonox @Kuchenhexe
Thanks! I'm glad you like them! I haven't organized anything yet and currently only have 1 pair of them that I plan on breeding in my own nest, first. If there is anyone else that decides they like it enough to breed some on their own, I'd be more than happy to work with them!
Also, thanks for the offer Kuchenhexe! I will definitely consider that for the next breeding cycle!

@Loddie
Thank you! I'm glad you like them!
One quick thing if you don't mind me asking. I have seen other posts in FR Discussion about proposed subspecies and just was curious why mine got moved to Dragon Share instead, though the others are still in FR Discussion. I don't mind wherever it is, but I just wanted to get clarification on it since I'm not sharing my specific dragons and was just hoping to open up the discussion with some people from Nature. Any explanation would be appreciated so that I can place things right next time! Thank you!
@Aeonox @Kuchenhexe
Thanks! I'm glad you like them! I haven't organized anything yet and currently only have 1 pair of them that I plan on breeding in my own nest, first. If there is anyone else that decides they like it enough to breed some on their own, I'd be more than happy to work with them!
Also, thanks for the offer Kuchenhexe! I will definitely consider that for the next breeding cycle!

@Loddie
Thank you! I'm glad you like them!
One quick thing if you don't mind me asking. I have seen other posts in FR Discussion about proposed subspecies and just was curious why mine got moved to Dragon Share instead, though the others are still in FR Discussion. I don't mind wherever it is, but I just wanted to get clarification on it since I'm not sharing my specific dragons and was just hoping to open up the discussion with some people from Nature. Any explanation would be appreciated so that I can place things right next time! Thank you!

pcmbO7a.png
@Skellington10802 I do see a lot of subspecies threads in the FRD, and on further thought, perhaps I was a bit hasty in my judgement of this belonging in dragon share. After all, this is a discussion about a subspecies and not so much dragon sharing.

My apologies for the inconvenience this has caused, dear.

This does belong in discussion I've moved it back.

Edited for spelling
@Skellington10802 I do see a lot of subspecies threads in the FRD, and on further thought, perhaps I was a bit hasty in my judgement of this belonging in dragon share. After all, this is a discussion about a subspecies and not so much dragon sharing.

My apologies for the inconvenience this has caused, dear.

This does belong in discussion I've moved it back.

Edited for spelling
ZC2TB9H.png93Yl0PJ.pngvWYjbLO.png
I support these pumpkins with my whole little foodie heart. Also I have immediately headcannoned that they originate from a magical pumpkin patch on the border between shadow and nature lands (shhh, the border totally isn't underwater or anything) and instead of hatching out of eggs they grow on vines and awaken when fully formed. Gladekeeper and droolmama probably tend to the patch personally too. WEARING LITTLE OLD LADY GARDENING HATS >:D just saying don't mind me
tumblr_nu1clydRIu1uf4jhuo1_540.png
@Loddie
No worries! I just wanted to double check so I could have an understanding of it all. I know the difference between what should be in Shadow Sales or Shadow Forums very well by now, but I'm still new to the other, site-wide threads! Thank you for your help!
@Loddie
No worries! I just wanted to double check so I could have an understanding of it all. I know the difference between what should be in Shadow Sales or Shadow Forums very well by now, but I'm still new to the other, site-wide threads! Thank you for your help!

pcmbO7a.png
@Turnipseed
Oh my gosh! That is great! Haha! We can totally add that to the lore and adapt it as needed. Hehe
@Turnipseed
Oh my gosh! That is great! Haha! We can totally add that to the lore and adapt it as needed. Hehe

pcmbO7a.png
@Turnipseed

I very much approve of vine-growth.

And old lady gardening hats.
@Turnipseed

I very much approve of vine-growth.

And old lady gardening hats.
h8ppV79.pngPG7Fgon.png