Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | High School Deities
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 64 65
@Steex I pulled the two colors from those Maren Cloth colors. [item=Wavespun Cloth] [item=Rippling Cloth] I personally like the blue version too, but the color pallet looked too similar to Tempest's, so I looked for other options.
@Steex
I pulled the two colors from those Maren Cloth colors.

Wavespun Cloth Rippling Cloth

I personally like the blue version too, but the color pallet looked too similar to Tempest's, so I looked for other options.
xR7ErnV.pngW6y8rmh.pngNr0CWta.png
@sugarfrost
I'll follow what Ayreria does and ping you every time I post something that isn't a reply. You deserve to keep up on your own thread, after all. Consider checking manually tho.

Anyway, today we're gonna delve into some... psychology.

Defense Mechanisms

To those who don't know, defense mechanisms are something our subconscious ego dishes out when we are presented with conflicts and problems in real life, which in turn provokes feelings such as anxiety, guilt, embarrassment, etc. All humans employ a DM of some sort, and the deities (though not quite) are still humans in this AU. Since everybody is bound to use multiple kinds of defense mechanisms, these are simply the ones the deities most commonly use.

Windsinger -- Regression. Out of all the deities, Windsock is the most mentally childish and his actions often border on stupid (although he himself actually isn't). This shows in how he initially responds when faced with problems: curling up on himself (not always literally) and whining. "Why won't s/he be friends with meeee???" *bawls*

Tidelord -- Intellectualization. His visions made him even more attuned to issues, and not just limited to his own. Instead of mulling over the bad stuff that could happen (all that does is give him even more headaches) Tidey would rather busy himself trying to solve them, regardless of how effective his attempts to do so really are. This sometimes leads to frustration when he finally comes to terms that what he's doing just isn't working, which leads to even more defensiveness.

He needs therapy.

Earthshaker -- Dissociation. When push comes to kicking off a cliff, Twerky chooses to withdraw. The one week after the Sworncliff Massacre were his hardest times, which he survived only by turning into an 'emotional zombie'. Poor Tidelord had to go through the horror of seeing his friend live without being alive for seven days. He got better, but sometimes he'd slip and it would become Tidey's job to pull him back to RL.

They both need therapy.

Flamecaller -- Assertiveness. For someone so explosive she has a surpisingly mature way to deal with issues: namely by pointing them out right in said problem's face, laying out her terms on how it should be resolved, then demanding it be done lest she decides take the task up herself (it usually ends up like that no matter how the other party responds though). Only at certain times does she resort to denial.

Stormcatcher -- Compensation. He knows his health isn't the best, so he works hard to max out his INT instead (which doesn't help his workaholic tendencies at all). He's also a major undoer, especially to Glitters and his two butlers whom he'd often frantically apologize to after (unintentionally) yelling at.

Icewarden -- Icey is special in that he uses different kinds of defense mechanisms for different situations. Reaction formation and denial are prevalent in most light-hearted situation (especially considering he's a tsundere), but serious business will prompt isolation and/or intellectualization.

Lightweaver -- Rationalization. Priding herself on being smarter than most others often made Glitters unwilling to admit she was wrong in her judgment, instead making it appear as if she was right all along by rephrasing her initial thoughts on the matter. "I knew that was going to happen!"

Shadowbinder -- Sublimation. Her sense of responsibility towards her little sister prompts her to channel the energy she could've wasted being angry on her father towards dealing in the Forums for profit. Despite this she still prefers more playful, childish approaches to things.

Gladekeeper -- Acting out. Being wild and impulsive doesn't help Gladey's case when it comes to this. What she feels she blurts or acts out immediately, most of the time without even realizing she's done so. Some people think it's adorably childlike (which it often is); others think it's immature (which, psychologically speaking, it also is).

Plaguebringer -- Displacement. To Plague, emotions are best dealt with by letting go. So she does. Except she has no sense of time and place when she does. Note that this is often not applicable to anger since she does not view it as unacceptable. Emotions like fondness, however, especially if it's towards Gladey, tend to be redirected to something that cannot reciprocate. Like her bike. What a weirdo.

Arcanist -- Denial and repression. Both not very noticeable until after he connected the dots between his celestial powers and his parents' cool and unusual death. From that point on he just keeps telling himself that there are no problems at all. He wasn't the one who killed his parents. His grandpa isn't slowly dying of arcane poisoning. Nothing is his fault. Nobody is dead, what are you talking about? You silly.
@sugarfrost
I'll follow what Ayreria does and ping you every time I post something that isn't a reply. You deserve to keep up on your own thread, after all. Consider checking manually tho.

Anyway, today we're gonna delve into some... psychology.

Defense Mechanisms

To those who don't know, defense mechanisms are something our subconscious ego dishes out when we are presented with conflicts and problems in real life, which in turn provokes feelings such as anxiety, guilt, embarrassment, etc. All humans employ a DM of some sort, and the deities (though not quite) are still humans in this AU. Since everybody is bound to use multiple kinds of defense mechanisms, these are simply the ones the deities most commonly use.

Windsinger -- Regression. Out of all the deities, Windsock is the most mentally childish and his actions often border on stupid (although he himself actually isn't). This shows in how he initially responds when faced with problems: curling up on himself (not always literally) and whining. "Why won't s/he be friends with meeee???" *bawls*

Tidelord -- Intellectualization. His visions made him even more attuned to issues, and not just limited to his own. Instead of mulling over the bad stuff that could happen (all that does is give him even more headaches) Tidey would rather busy himself trying to solve them, regardless of how effective his attempts to do so really are. This sometimes leads to frustration when he finally comes to terms that what he's doing just isn't working, which leads to even more defensiveness.

He needs therapy.

Earthshaker -- Dissociation. When push comes to kicking off a cliff, Twerky chooses to withdraw. The one week after the Sworncliff Massacre were his hardest times, which he survived only by turning into an 'emotional zombie'. Poor Tidelord had to go through the horror of seeing his friend live without being alive for seven days. He got better, but sometimes he'd slip and it would become Tidey's job to pull him back to RL.

They both need therapy.

Flamecaller -- Assertiveness. For someone so explosive she has a surpisingly mature way to deal with issues: namely by pointing them out right in said problem's face, laying out her terms on how it should be resolved, then demanding it be done lest she decides take the task up herself (it usually ends up like that no matter how the other party responds though). Only at certain times does she resort to denial.

Stormcatcher -- Compensation. He knows his health isn't the best, so he works hard to max out his INT instead (which doesn't help his workaholic tendencies at all). He's also a major undoer, especially to Glitters and his two butlers whom he'd often frantically apologize to after (unintentionally) yelling at.

Icewarden -- Icey is special in that he uses different kinds of defense mechanisms for different situations. Reaction formation and denial are prevalent in most light-hearted situation (especially considering he's a tsundere), but serious business will prompt isolation and/or intellectualization.

Lightweaver -- Rationalization. Priding herself on being smarter than most others often made Glitters unwilling to admit she was wrong in her judgment, instead making it appear as if she was right all along by rephrasing her initial thoughts on the matter. "I knew that was going to happen!"

Shadowbinder -- Sublimation. Her sense of responsibility towards her little sister prompts her to channel the energy she could've wasted being angry on her father towards dealing in the Forums for profit. Despite this she still prefers more playful, childish approaches to things.

Gladekeeper -- Acting out. Being wild and impulsive doesn't help Gladey's case when it comes to this. What she feels she blurts or acts out immediately, most of the time without even realizing she's done so. Some people think it's adorably childlike (which it often is); others think it's immature (which, psychologically speaking, it also is).

Plaguebringer -- Displacement. To Plague, emotions are best dealt with by letting go. So she does. Except she has no sense of time and place when she does. Note that this is often not applicable to anger since she does not view it as unacceptable. Emotions like fondness, however, especially if it's towards Gladey, tend to be redirected to something that cannot reciprocate. Like her bike. What a weirdo.

Arcanist -- Denial and repression. Both not very noticeable until after he connected the dots between his celestial powers and his parents' cool and unusual death. From that point on he just keeps telling himself that there are no problems at all. He wasn't the one who killed his parents. His grandpa isn't slowly dying of arcane poisoning. Nothing is his fault. Nobody is dead, what are you talking about? You silly.
aOqSjGa.gif7JsaWoU.png
5SqCfGJ.gif6YB2w91.png
zDb04lN.gifQcIeheH.png
Ekb7dXv.png8DRC6Y6.png
@Ayreria
Consider using both palettes? Maybe reddish for the logo and blue for the text, or a mixture of both. Or is that unacceptable for logos. I kinda suck at making logos.
@Ayreria
Consider using both palettes? Maybe reddish for the logo and blue for the text, or a mixture of both. Or is that unacceptable for logos. I kinda suck at making logos.
aOqSjGa.gif7JsaWoU.png
5SqCfGJ.gif6YB2w91.png
zDb04lN.gifQcIeheH.png
Ekb7dXv.png8DRC6Y6.png
@Steex
Such a shade of red does not flow well with any of the of the blues. It's too conflictive and vibrant. It's best to keep things simple, like analogous, monochrome, or complimentary colors. I don't think the Marin really want any particular attention to be drawn to them.
Gradients are also out since flat colors work best when printed on paper with limited ink colors, such as in black-and-white. Business stuff. You could color all the logos in a single color, like black, and it would look fine.
Most people I've shown the logos to think the blue version looks best, so we might as well just stick with that.
@Steex
Such a shade of red does not flow well with any of the of the blues. It's too conflictive and vibrant. It's best to keep things simple, like analogous, monochrome, or complimentary colors. I don't think the Marin really want any particular attention to be drawn to them.
Gradients are also out since flat colors work best when printed on paper with limited ink colors, such as in black-and-white. Business stuff. You could color all the logos in a single color, like black, and it would look fine.
Most people I've shown the logos to think the blue version looks best, so we might as well just stick with that.
@Steex
Thank you, and yes, I plan to. I think the different types of defense mechanisms are very fitting, especially Glittermom. I think I'm in love with what Flamecaller is becoming tho

Anyway, more headcanons, anyone? Instruments/hands, if these weren't mentioned before, perhaps~

Windsinger is the most dexterous out of all the deities. He has long, thin fingers and rather fragile-looking hands. He has grown to be rather careful, because of all of his workings in delicate objects, like kites and model airplanes. He plays several instruments, including panpipe, melodica, and the piano, but his favorite is the flute. He has recently taken up playing the guitar, which he's painfully bad at at the moment.

As any typical surfer dude would, Tidelord plays the ukelele, enough said. He has very large hands that are scarred and worn from his countless adventures on the beach.

Earthshaker doesn't play any instruments with proficiency, but he has recently started playing the piano, which has proven itself difficult (because it is, after all!) Earthshaker has the biggest, clumsiest hands. However, he can be gentle when it comes to doing things such as holding small fluffy animals or playing with Gladekeeper's hair.

Flamecaller doesn't have much time to play an instrument nowadays because of school and such, but as a little girl, she played a few. She played violin for a while, but decided to quit after she thought it took too much extra time. During her freetime, she tries teaching herself the bass guitar, which she absolutely loves the sound of. She has very petite hands with numerous scars.

Stormcatcher plays a ton of instruments, if you count the synthesizer as all of them. He likes making his own, albeit horrible, dubstep mixes. Other than the synth, he has played piano since he was five and is extremely skilled. He can also play the saxophone. His hands are pretty normal, honestly, and has super nice fingernails.

Lightweaver can't really play anything, other than the triangle, but absolutely loves to sing (AND STORMCATCHER IS HER ACCOMPANIST). She, however, loves the sound of any instrument, and hopes she can learn to play one someday. She has dainty fingers and small hands that she works hard to keep the upkeep of.

Shadowbinder, to the surprise of most, can play the cello at a very advanced level. How and where she learned is impossible to find out, but she loves to play eerie music alone in her room. She has ridiculously fragile-looking hands, and long, bony fingers.

Icewarden plays the trombone, but surprisingly plays so quietly that no one, or very few, can actually hear him. He takes his instrument very seriously, though, and claims to be extremely adept at it. He has very average hands and extremely smooth, seemingly perfect ivory skin.

Gladekeeper has an amazing sense of rhythm and can learn any instrument with ease, and has a ridiculously great singing voice. Her favorite instrument is the sitar. Her hands are seemingly unagile and very large, but are actually very quick and nimble.

Plaguebringer doesn't have time to play any instruments. They're for sissies. She has big hands that have scars on the knuckles, but otherwise are picture-perfect.

Arcanist plays the clarinet, and is pretty okay at it. He doesn't play anything else. He has very, very small hands.
@Steex
Thank you, and yes, I plan to. I think the different types of defense mechanisms are very fitting, especially Glittermom. I think I'm in love with what Flamecaller is becoming tho

Anyway, more headcanons, anyone? Instruments/hands, if these weren't mentioned before, perhaps~

Windsinger is the most dexterous out of all the deities. He has long, thin fingers and rather fragile-looking hands. He has grown to be rather careful, because of all of his workings in delicate objects, like kites and model airplanes. He plays several instruments, including panpipe, melodica, and the piano, but his favorite is the flute. He has recently taken up playing the guitar, which he's painfully bad at at the moment.

As any typical surfer dude would, Tidelord plays the ukelele, enough said. He has very large hands that are scarred and worn from his countless adventures on the beach.

Earthshaker doesn't play any instruments with proficiency, but he has recently started playing the piano, which has proven itself difficult (because it is, after all!) Earthshaker has the biggest, clumsiest hands. However, he can be gentle when it comes to doing things such as holding small fluffy animals or playing with Gladekeeper's hair.

Flamecaller doesn't have much time to play an instrument nowadays because of school and such, but as a little girl, she played a few. She played violin for a while, but decided to quit after she thought it took too much extra time. During her freetime, she tries teaching herself the bass guitar, which she absolutely loves the sound of. She has very petite hands with numerous scars.

Stormcatcher plays a ton of instruments, if you count the synthesizer as all of them. He likes making his own, albeit horrible, dubstep mixes. Other than the synth, he has played piano since he was five and is extremely skilled. He can also play the saxophone. His hands are pretty normal, honestly, and has super nice fingernails.

Lightweaver can't really play anything, other than the triangle, but absolutely loves to sing (AND STORMCATCHER IS HER ACCOMPANIST). She, however, loves the sound of any instrument, and hopes she can learn to play one someday. She has dainty fingers and small hands that she works hard to keep the upkeep of.

Shadowbinder, to the surprise of most, can play the cello at a very advanced level. How and where she learned is impossible to find out, but she loves to play eerie music alone in her room. She has ridiculously fragile-looking hands, and long, bony fingers.

Icewarden plays the trombone, but surprisingly plays so quietly that no one, or very few, can actually hear him. He takes his instrument very seriously, though, and claims to be extremely adept at it. He has very average hands and extremely smooth, seemingly perfect ivory skin.

Gladekeeper has an amazing sense of rhythm and can learn any instrument with ease, and has a ridiculously great singing voice. Her favorite instrument is the sitar. Her hands are seemingly unagile and very large, but are actually very quick and nimble.

Plaguebringer doesn't have time to play any instruments. They're for sissies. She has big hands that have scars on the knuckles, but otherwise are picture-perfect.

Arcanist plays the clarinet, and is pretty okay at it. He doesn't play anything else. He has very, very small hands.
tumblr_inline_nfx5micmyj1r6zydg.png
@sugarfrost
Oh man. You'd be surprised to know that I've been typing down headcanons for musical instruments... and it turns out that our versions aren't very different XD the only notable differences are that in my version Icey is godly at shredding, Gladey loves percussions (alluding to wild tribal music here) and Archie can only violin. Although I'll admit my version is flawed in that I hardly consider brass instruments XP
@sugarfrost
Oh man. You'd be surprised to know that I've been typing down headcanons for musical instruments... and it turns out that our versions aren't very different XD the only notable differences are that in my version Icey is godly at shredding, Gladey loves percussions (alluding to wild tribal music here) and Archie can only violin. Although I'll admit my version is flawed in that I hardly consider brass instruments XP
aOqSjGa.gif7JsaWoU.png
5SqCfGJ.gif6YB2w91.png
zDb04lN.gifQcIeheH.png
Ekb7dXv.png8DRC6Y6.png
@Steex
Well, we can totes compromise, hehe
@Steex
Well, we can totes compromise, hehe
tumblr_inline_nfx5micmyj1r6zydg.png
@sugarfrost @Steex
Ooooh yay lists! Throwing in my own input, mostly dumb notes.

I completely support Icewarden and his shredding. Beautiful. Ukulele Tidelord is also perf.
Whenever Windsinger plays an instrument, it probably sounds really well but only because he's unknowingly cheating as the vibrations in the air change themselves to make them sound good.
Is it bad that I can imagine Mather beatboxing while playing the harmonica?
Lightweaver is expectantly good at weaving, which she can put to use at her parttime job at the tailoring shop. Shadowbinder, not so much. She's doing decently in her impromptu knitting lessons with Icewarden though.
Plaguebringer is the most unartistic person ever. You don't need that stuff to survive.
I kind a imagine Arcanist playing the xylophone. Dunno why. I just feel like he might do decently in percussion.
Gladekeeper summons wild animals using her singing like Snow White. It's hilarious.
@sugarfrost @Steex
Ooooh yay lists! Throwing in my own input, mostly dumb notes.

I completely support Icewarden and his shredding. Beautiful. Ukulele Tidelord is also perf.
Whenever Windsinger plays an instrument, it probably sounds really well but only because he's unknowingly cheating as the vibrations in the air change themselves to make them sound good.
Is it bad that I can imagine Mather beatboxing while playing the harmonica?
Lightweaver is expectantly good at weaving, which she can put to use at her parttime job at the tailoring shop. Shadowbinder, not so much. She's doing decently in her impromptu knitting lessons with Icewarden though.
Plaguebringer is the most unartistic person ever. You don't need that stuff to survive.
I kind a imagine Arcanist playing the xylophone. Dunno why. I just feel like he might do decently in percussion.
Gladekeeper summons wild animals using her singing like Snow White. It's hilarious.
If I hadn't been drawing in a hard-cover book I'd have scanned everything I made and dumped them in the art thread. But I'm too lazy to even lift that scanner lid anyway sooooo yeah. But I'll redraw them digitally later. Maybe. We'll see.

That being said Lord Fuzzylegs is frickin adorable. The most adorable. Arguably moreso than Glitters. Adorableness over 9000. This has been your daily PSA.
If I hadn't been drawing in a hard-cover book I'd have scanned everything I made and dumped them in the art thread. But I'm too lazy to even lift that scanner lid anyway sooooo yeah. But I'll redraw them digitally later. Maybe. We'll see.

That being said Lord Fuzzylegs is frickin adorable. The most adorable. Arguably moreso than Glitters. Adorableness over 9000. This has been your daily PSA.
aOqSjGa.gif7JsaWoU.png
5SqCfGJ.gif6YB2w91.png
zDb04lN.gifQcIeheH.png
Ekb7dXv.png8DRC6Y6.png
@sugarfrost @Ayreria

I don't know if you guys have ever seen this before, but have at it: x

It's basically Major Arcana assignments--two for each deity. How accurate do you think this is when applied to the AU? Also now I'm imagining a sort of fairgrounds (heh) episode in which one of them (probably Gladey) convinced everyone to get tarot readings and they get freaked by the all-mystic-and-secretive-ish reader (not Archie's grandpappy) who just goes "well, well, if it aren't the Eleven."
@sugarfrost @Ayreria

I don't know if you guys have ever seen this before, but have at it: x

It's basically Major Arcana assignments--two for each deity. How accurate do you think this is when applied to the AU? Also now I'm imagining a sort of fairgrounds (heh) episode in which one of them (probably Gladey) convinced everyone to get tarot readings and they get freaked by the all-mystic-and-secretive-ish reader (not Archie's grandpappy) who just goes "well, well, if it aren't the Eleven."
aOqSjGa.gif7JsaWoU.png
5SqCfGJ.gif6YB2w91.png
zDb04lN.gifQcIeheH.png
Ekb7dXv.png8DRC6Y6.png
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 64 65