Back

Forum Games

Play word and forum games here.
TOPIC | [Game Thread] Void: Awakening
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 70 71
Stance on inactive players:

Continued inactivity will result in a replacement, so it's generally a bad idea to lynch purely for inactivity (and can be an easy way to for scum to push mislynch fodder, imo). And RL also happens, so periods of inactivity for players otherwise present and contributing isn't something I find scummy in and of itself.

Riding that line of being just active enough to avoid replacement, tho, can be well worth squinting at, but best evaluated along with other behaviors as a whole: how contributory are their posts when they are here? Do they address questions, or ignore them? Do they offer actual opinions on the matters at hand? Are they willing to elaborate on the thought processes behind those opinions? (And if you're town, for the love of all that's holy, please be willing to do those things, even if you're busy.)
Stance on inactive players:

Continued inactivity will result in a replacement, so it's generally a bad idea to lynch purely for inactivity (and can be an easy way to for scum to push mislynch fodder, imo). And RL also happens, so periods of inactivity for players otherwise present and contributing isn't something I find scummy in and of itself.

Riding that line of being just active enough to avoid replacement, tho, can be well worth squinting at, but best evaluated along with other behaviors as a whole: how contributory are their posts when they are here? Do they address questions, or ignore them? Do they offer actual opinions on the matters at hand? Are they willing to elaborate on the thought processes behind those opinions? (And if you're town, for the love of all that's holy, please be willing to do those things, even if you're busy.)
TCC_04-sig.png Millennium Merchant Mafia NPeGYYg.png GFQXkBh.png
[quote name="BerryBagel" date=2017-05-19 21:37:15] Let me follow up with another question for y'all. From the Night 0 intro text, Do you think this: [quote name="polygone"]Heck, two of them weren’t even supposed to be on the ship in the first place.[/quote] Means there are two mafia, two neutral roles, or two of something else? My knee-jerk reaction was to read it as there are two neutral roles, but it would definitely be surprising to me for there to be 2 neutrals in a game with only 14 players total. [/quote] Poly generally has the stance that "flavor is just flavor", in pancake's games, but ngl I couldn't help but immediately eyezoom in on that line, too. xD It could mean any of those things, or it could mean absolutely nothing. (I will note that Poly does like to include neutrals or third party, even in smaller games. Also, there's something else that leaves open the possibility of more than two factions?)
BerryBagel wrote on 2017-05-19:

Let me follow up with another question for y'all. From the Night 0 intro text,
Do you think this:
polygone wrote:
Heck, two of them weren’t even supposed to be on the ship in the first place.
Means there are two mafia, two neutral roles, or two of something else? My knee-jerk reaction was to read it as there are two neutral roles, but it would definitely be surprising to me for there to be 2 neutrals in a game with only 14 players total.

Poly generally has the stance that "flavor is just flavor", in pancake's games, but ngl I couldn't help but immediately eyezoom in on that line, too. xD It could mean any of those things, or it could mean absolutely nothing. (I will note that Poly does like to include neutrals or third party, even in smaller games. Also, there's something else that leaves open the possibility of more than two factions?)
[quote name="JoYoon" date=2017-05-19 22:45:44] @/BerryBagel @/TheNightDancer We're probably not allowed to directly quote our role PMs, so I'll paraphrase; the town win condition (that I was sent) says something along the lines of: "you need to have more members than the other factions by the end of the game". Maybe polygone wanted to throw us off, but the wording hints that there is more than one faction opposing town (or at least that's how I interpreted it). There could be some sort of third party/neutral faction, I don't know. [/quote] Ye, that's what I was just referring to, wasn't sure if I wanted to say it out loud or not, but. xD; It also strikes me as weirdly worded--like, other faction(s) have the ability to potentially end the game in some other way than just numbers, maybe? Or the game is on some kind of hidden timer? @Polygone Is the game on a timer, mechanically? Or are any ways to end the game triggered solely by player actions?
JoYoon wrote on 2017-05-19:
@/BerryBagel @/TheNightDancer

We're probably not allowed to directly quote our role PMs, so I'll paraphrase; the town win condition (that I was sent) says something along the lines of: "you need to have more members than the other factions by the end of the game".

Maybe polygone wanted to throw us off, but the wording hints that there is more than one faction opposing town (or at least that's how I interpreted it).

There could be some sort of third party/neutral faction, I don't know.

Ye, that's what I was just referring to, wasn't sure if I wanted to say it out loud or not, but. xD;

It also strikes me as weirdly worded--like, other faction(s) have the ability to potentially end the game in some other way than just numbers, maybe? Or the game is on some kind of hidden timer?

@Polygone

Is the game on a timer, mechanically? Or are any ways to end the game triggered solely by player actions?
Open-ended question:

What's something that you've learned in previous games that you find helpful or otherwise worth bearing in mind, now?
Open-ended question:

What's something that you've learned in previous games that you find helpful or otherwise worth bearing in mind, now?
[quote name="Tsaiah" date=2017-05-20 12:57:11] What's something that you've learned in previous games that you find helpful or otherwise worth bearing in mind, now? [/quote] Squint very hard at the flavor text, always, just in case it has something important in there. [s]like delicious delicious chocolate sprinkles[/s]
Tsaiah wrote on 2017-05-20:

Squint very hard at the flavor text, always, just in case it has something important in there. like delicious delicious chocolate sprinkles
Food? Food? FOOD!
tumblr_inline_o1jshi1q2F1rbazpx_250.png tumblr_ozbmajllGL1w8xkufo2_250.png
@TheNightDancer @blanketgender
(Nice to meet you, too, Night!)
I suppose my surprise isn't so much that there's a third party, but that there (are potentially) multiple third party players. And Blanket, although I generally agree that lore interpretation is a risky choice, in this case, it's all we really have to start with. I think it'd be incredibly useful to know how many mafia we're dealing with here, and this could kinda help us ballpark it.

I'd assume we're starting with at least a 2:1 town:mafia ratio...or else this is going to be a really hard game... so if we've got 2 neutrals, that's at most 4 maf. My initial prediction at the game setup is that there's probably 9 town, 3 mafia, 1 neutral-killing (serial killer, anyone?), and 1 non-killing neutral (i.e. survivor).

Also, thought it'd be worth commenting that so far as first impressions go, @JoYoon is initially giving me town vibes. I feel like immediately lying about a role PM would be a pretty unnecessarily gutsy move for a non-town player. That being said, JoYoon, I disagree with you about the helpfulness of vigilantes killing inactive players. I'd leave that to the mod.

@SpectralDragon Okay, so what's your take on the flavor text?
@TheNightDancer @blanketgender
(Nice to meet you, too, Night!)
I suppose my surprise isn't so much that there's a third party, but that there (are potentially) multiple third party players. And Blanket, although I generally agree that lore interpretation is a risky choice, in this case, it's all we really have to start with. I think it'd be incredibly useful to know how many mafia we're dealing with here, and this could kinda help us ballpark it.

I'd assume we're starting with at least a 2:1 town:mafia ratio...or else this is going to be a really hard game... so if we've got 2 neutrals, that's at most 4 maf. My initial prediction at the game setup is that there's probably 9 town, 3 mafia, 1 neutral-killing (serial killer, anyone?), and 1 non-killing neutral (i.e. survivor).

Also, thought it'd be worth commenting that so far as first impressions go, @JoYoon is initially giving me town vibes. I feel like immediately lying about a role PM would be a pretty unnecessarily gutsy move for a non-town player. That being said, JoYoon, I disagree with you about the helpfulness of vigilantes killing inactive players. I'd leave that to the mod.

@SpectralDragon Okay, so what's your take on the flavor text?
She/her ~ FR Time +3
11514.png
@BerryBagel

About the same as yours. The text does seem to hint at a 3p, although I'm not sure about whether or not they're opposing town or just there.
@BerryBagel

About the same as yours. The text does seem to hint at a 3p, although I'm not sure about whether or not they're opposing town or just there.
Food? Food? FOOD!
tumblr_inline_o1jshi1q2F1rbazpx_250.png tumblr_ozbmajllGL1w8xkufo2_250.png
[quote name="@Tsaiah" date=2017-05-20 12:48:16] Is the game on a timer, mechanically? Or are any ways to end the game triggered solely by player actions? [/quote]\points at lynch mechanics in the rules
@Tsaiah wrote on 2017-05-20:
Is the game on a timer, mechanically? Or are any ways to end the game triggered solely by player actions?
\points at lynch mechanics in the rules

Praise the sun! \o/
@Tsaiah [quote name="Tsaiah"]It also strikes me as weirdly worded--like, other faction(s) have the ability to potentially end the game in some other way than just numbers, maybe? Or the game is on some kind of hidden timer?[/quote] Serial killer? Serial killer. jk. Not necessarily. But I do think it's highly likely that at least one of the neutrals is a killing role, or otherwise a jester or executioner type role. [b]What's something that you've learned in previous games that you find helpful or otherwise worth bearing in mind, now?[/b] I guess...third party can be a lot harder to figure out than mafia. People can be pretty quick to jump to mafia or town killing and protecting explanations, so third party can be a real wrench in the works. I don't want to seem super hung up on this "stowaway" thing, but they do have the potential to make this a super confusing game. Remember, those of y'all with investigating roles: "not mafia" =/= town.
@Tsaiah
Tsaiah wrote:
It also strikes me as weirdly worded--like, other faction(s) have the ability to potentially end the game in some other way than just numbers, maybe? Or the game is on some kind of hidden timer?

Serial killer? Serial killer.
jk. Not necessarily. But I do think it's highly likely that at least one of the neutrals is a killing role, or otherwise a jester or executioner type role.

I guess...third party can be a lot harder to figure out than mafia. People can be pretty quick to jump to mafia or town killing and protecting explanations, so third party can be a real wrench in the works. I don't want to seem super hung up on this "stowaway" thing, but they do have the potential to make this a super confusing game. Remember, those of y'all with investigating roles: "not mafia" =/= town.
She/her ~ FR Time +3
11514.png
[quote name="polygone" date=2017-05-20 13:17:29] [quote name="@/Tsaiah" date=2017-05-20 12:48:16] Is the game on a timer, mechanically? Or are any ways to end the game triggered solely by player actions? [/quote]\points at lynch mechanics in the rules [/quote] Ah, okay. Not voting or linking for three times total gets a player killed. So let's not do that. xD
polygone wrote on 2017-05-20:
@/Tsaiah wrote on 2017-05-20:
\points at lynch mechanics in the rules

Ah, okay. Not voting or linking for three times total gets a player killed. So let's not do that. xD
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 70 71