Back

Dragon Trading

Arrange Crossroads exchanges with other players.
TOPIC | Memento Mori (moved!)
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 52 53
@Tempestral

Oh man thank you so much! I haven't written in awhile so I appreciate the feedback

@Jaspernoir

Thank you!!! My thoughts for these prompts is that its sort of a slow journey through his life :) I loved Pilgrim's story as well! I will hopefully write the second prompt tonight, but I work huge shifts today and tomorrow, so I may have to write three in one day haha
@Tempestral

Oh man thank you so much! I haven't written in awhile so I appreciate the feedback

@Jaspernoir

Thank you!!! My thoughts for these prompts is that its sort of a slow journey through his life :) I loved Pilgrim's story as well! I will hopefully write the second prompt tonight, but I work huge shifts today and tomorrow, so I may have to write three in one day haha
button_by_cas_a_fras-dclednr.png 20181024_graphic1_by_death_in_the_orchard-dcqadff.png
@Darkryuukin that is totally okay, RL comes first; but i look forward to reading what you post! And you can always do multiple days at a time - as long as they're in their own post each (don't worry about spamming me!) and you can't do a future prompt, only prompts that have passed already :)

Cheers!
@Darkryuukin that is totally okay, RL comes first; but i look forward to reading what you post! And you can always do multiple days at a time - as long as they're in their own post each (don't worry about spamming me!) and you can't do a future prompt, only prompts that have passed already :)

Cheers!
qXSwF3U.png233SM6q.png Jay (she/her)

Tortoiseshell Tea Haus (a hatchery)
The Foxfire Fortune Clan (a biolocke)

The Melting Pot
Baldwin Manufacturing Plant
Sorry for another Announcement ping so soon! But I've been thinking and thinking, and decided that in an effort to bring out this lineage project's lore side, I've opened up the Archetypes as internal character guides for how your Memento may react to their new life after being brought back from the dead by their bound familiar. Generally, a Memento would fit one Archetype, and that Archetype guides how they react and interact with the world of the dead as well as the world of the living. Follow the icon to the Extras section! [s]I'm gonna need more banners[/s] Any questions or comments, as always feel free to post in this thread (no need to ping me, I'm subbed), or pm me. My inbox is always open! [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drt/2471005#post_33946458][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/5700.png[/img][/url][/center] [size=2]Announcements wrote: @Shadowfire1223 @mercurialwings @Demonchild77 @Wolfandcrow @Rosequinn @Artorias @Crystalloid @KalicoKat @XxCalypsoxX @Cynderfire @MitraSunshine @Bluecupcake52 @LadyofSpiders @Jackandsally @Renmei @ZippoFeuer @callmeang @CosmicFalcon @UsetheWord @globetrottr @Violetastrid @MusicalDreamer @Rebiel @Tempestral @kaleidrops @Skyeset @Disdain @SakuraDryad @Darkryuukin [/size]
Sorry for another Announcement ping so soon!

But I've been thinking and thinking, and decided that in an effort to bring out this lineage project's lore side, I've opened up the Archetypes as internal character guides for how your Memento may react to their new life after being brought back from the dead by their bound familiar. Generally, a Memento would fit one Archetype, and that Archetype guides how they react and interact with the world of the dead as well as the world of the living.

Follow the icon to the Extras section! I'm gonna need more banners

Any questions or comments, as always feel free to post in this thread (no need to ping me, I'm subbed), or pm me. My inbox is always open!
5700.png

Announcements wrote:
@Shadowfire1223 @mercurialwings @Demonchild77 @Wolfandcrow @Rosequinn @Artorias @Crystalloid @KalicoKat @XxCalypsoxX @Cynderfire @MitraSunshine @Bluecupcake52 @LadyofSpiders @Jackandsally @Renmei @ZippoFeuer @callmeang @CosmicFalcon @UsetheWord @globetrottr @Violetastrid @MusicalDreamer @Rebiel @Tempestral @kaleidrops @Skyeset @Disdain @SakuraDryad @Darkryuukin

The Melting Pot
HYYYYYYPE!!!! <3<3<3
HYYYYYYPE!!!! <3<3<3
VYQwMuq.gif
Day 2- Forgotten

Descendants: Perilin, Samhain, Eden and Brin

All credit to Jasper for the lore tidbits revolving around Eden and Brin and my inspiration for this.
Forgotten.

There was nothing overly complex about the word, just a collection of three vowels and six consonants. To some, however, it was a very powerful combination of lines and ideas. For Perilin, it never stopped being painful.

Only Eden ever knew the reason behind overthrowing her sister and stealing her mate, and none had ever been able to ask. She went from Eden to Brin so fast and with such an effective use of memory tampering magic that nobody really knew there had been another sister. Whatever her reasons and original intentions, she was never cruel to the children born of this union of lies.

Perilin was nearly identical to his mother, and they seemed to have a connection from the start. While his brother and sister were off playing, he could always be found listening attentively to one of her stories or tales of his lineage. Eden told him of spirits and a pact that conquered death itself. She even told the little hatchling her real name, the only time she had ever uttered it since switching her and Brin.

It didn't last. No matter how powerful, a single dragon could not maintain an illusion that large forever. One of Brin's surviving sons returned to strike her down in revenge. The pact only came to a descendant once, and this time she was lost. The dragons suddenly remembered that there had been two sisters, not one, and scorned Eden while praising Brin as a hero.

Rage and sorrow burning a hole in his heart, Perilin followed the other young pearlcatcher he soon learned was Samhain back to his home. It was the clan where his mother and Brin had been born, and their parents still resided there.

Perilin vowed to take Samhain's life for what he had done, even if he needed to spend both of his to do it. His mother had to be avenged. And who else was going to do it?

The rest of the world had already forgotten her.

@Jaspernoir

I'm so excited for the new lore as well!! :D
Day 2- Forgotten

Descendants: Perilin, Samhain, Eden and Brin

All credit to Jasper for the lore tidbits revolving around Eden and Brin and my inspiration for this.
Forgotten.

There was nothing overly complex about the word, just a collection of three vowels and six consonants. To some, however, it was a very powerful combination of lines and ideas. For Perilin, it never stopped being painful.

Only Eden ever knew the reason behind overthrowing her sister and stealing her mate, and none had ever been able to ask. She went from Eden to Brin so fast and with such an effective use of memory tampering magic that nobody really knew there had been another sister. Whatever her reasons and original intentions, she was never cruel to the children born of this union of lies.

Perilin was nearly identical to his mother, and they seemed to have a connection from the start. While his brother and sister were off playing, he could always be found listening attentively to one of her stories or tales of his lineage. Eden told him of spirits and a pact that conquered death itself. She even told the little hatchling her real name, the only time she had ever uttered it since switching her and Brin.

It didn't last. No matter how powerful, a single dragon could not maintain an illusion that large forever. One of Brin's surviving sons returned to strike her down in revenge. The pact only came to a descendant once, and this time she was lost. The dragons suddenly remembered that there had been two sisters, not one, and scorned Eden while praising Brin as a hero.

Rage and sorrow burning a hole in his heart, Perilin followed the other young pearlcatcher he soon learned was Samhain back to his home. It was the clan where his mother and Brin had been born, and their parents still resided there.

Perilin vowed to take Samhain's life for what he had done, even if he needed to spend both of his to do it. His mother had to be avenged. And who else was going to do it?

The rest of the world had already forgotten her.

@Jaspernoir

I'm so excited for the new lore as well!! :D
V2NoKel.gif Kalo/77/Gray
-
they/he
-
proud apologist of the vampiric and otherwise monstrous
d06f102e-8da9-11eb-95dc-fbcfa2166c2d.gif
[center][b][i]Reborn[/i][/b] -----[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44386038][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/443861/44386038.png[/img] [/url][/center] ----- Algernon woke, disoriented, from the world he'd glimpsed- that which, in his panic, he'd forgotten to explore. He[i]had[/i] meant to explore it, but blindness had frightened him. He supposed, looking on the shifting mass of bones and raw magic that had become his familiar, that it must have been the afterlife. He furrowed his brow, watching the pile of bones carefully. It seemed much more familiar with him than he was with it. While it rarely spoke, it was faithful to him and his unspoken wishes. Even so, he felt nervous as it drifted lazily near him. Another pile of bones possessed by the violet light. This one seemed to be the skeletal remains of a dead Hainu, bits of flesh still clinging to the bones. He resisted the urge to hurl as the wind blew its dead stench into his face. It turned to eye him, thrumming with its strange aura, an unhappy sound ringing in the air as it turned its sightless sockets to him. [i]Why are you so upset with me?[/i] He turned away from it, swallowing and swallowing as nauseated saliva coated his mouth. "Can you please find bones that haven't got the stink of death on them?" He asked it without the tonal quality of a question, but the spirit shrugged off the remains in compliance. [i]Does this better suit you?[/i] "Yes. Actually can you go around without bones at all?" [i]Not easily.[/i] He swallowed again, seeking space away from the recently cast off corpse. ----- He read, for the seventh time, the entries from his journal; entries that had been written just before his brush with death. [i]"Thundercrack: Week 2, Day 6, Year XXXX. I have arrived in the Hewn City. The ruins seem to shun the warmth of the sun; even when I am in the direct sunlight, I feel the chill of death. The Longnecks who roam here are more companionable than other creatures I've met, but even as I write this, I hide for my life from the monsters lurking in the darker regions of this once-great citadel. The Wendigos seem to sniff out my location within minutes of flying to a new location. I'm not sure where I'll sleep. I can't fight these things. The spirits here seem to watch me with suspicion. Even as I write I can feel the sight of a Somber Spirit upon me. It feels that it is only by their graces that I've not been... That I'm not dead."[/i] He stared at this and the rest of the scrawl, trying to decide what was paranoia and what was true. After... Whatever had happened, after his familiar had recovered him (how he loathed to think the violet specter was now his familiar,) he certainly hadn't felt so weak as to be unable to recover from a few blows of the Wendigo's limbs. The spirit was at his side, a fresh collection of pristine white bones in the murky globule of soul. [i]You were much more fearful, despite your need to adventure. At least one of these things did not change.[/i] It spake its observation with jawbone clacking merrily; he tried to remember if it did this often. He couldn't remember it being there at all, before his death. His... Death. Despite his having fled to a warmer, forested area, he felt chills as he considered having died already. [i]Don't worry about your having died. It happens to everyone.[/i] He leered at the spirit. Was that a joke it had made? ----- ----- (Aaaagh. Hopefully this is ok; I'm not great at prompts. :') )
Reborn
44386038.png

Algernon woke, disoriented, from the world he'd glimpsed- that which, in his panic, he'd forgotten to explore. Hehad meant to explore it, but blindness had frightened him. He supposed, looking on the shifting mass of bones and raw magic that had become his familiar, that it must have been the afterlife.
He furrowed his brow, watching the pile of bones carefully. It seemed much more familiar with him than he was with it. While it rarely spoke, it was faithful to him and his unspoken wishes. Even so, he felt nervous as it drifted lazily near him. Another pile of bones possessed by the violet light. This one seemed to be the skeletal remains of a dead Hainu, bits of flesh still clinging to the bones.

He resisted the urge to hurl as the wind blew its dead stench into his face.

It turned to eye him, thrumming with its strange aura, an unhappy sound ringing in the air as it turned its sightless sockets to him.
Why are you so upset with me?
He turned away from it, swallowing and swallowing as nauseated saliva coated his mouth. "Can you please find bones that haven't got the stink of death on them?" He asked it without the tonal quality of a question, but the spirit shrugged off the remains in compliance.
Does this better suit you?
"Yes. Actually can you go around without bones at all?"
Not easily.
He swallowed again, seeking space away from the recently cast off corpse.

He read, for the seventh time, the entries from his journal; entries that had been written just before his brush with death.

"Thundercrack: Week 2, Day 6, Year XXXX.
I have arrived in the Hewn City. The ruins seem to shun the warmth of the sun; even when I am in the direct sunlight, I feel the chill of death. The Longnecks who roam here are more companionable than other creatures I've met, but even as I write this, I hide for my life from the monsters lurking in the darker regions of this once-great citadel. The Wendigos seem to sniff out my location within minutes of flying to a new location.

I'm not sure where I'll sleep.

I can't fight these things. The spirits here seem to watch me with suspicion. Even as I write I can feel the sight of a Somber Spirit upon me. It feels that it is only by their graces that I've not been... That I'm not dead."

He stared at this and the rest of the scrawl, trying to decide what was paranoia and what was true. After... Whatever had happened, after his familiar had recovered him (how he loathed to think the violet specter was now his familiar,) he certainly hadn't felt so weak as to be unable to recover from a few blows of the Wendigo's limbs.

The spirit was at his side, a fresh collection of pristine white bones in the murky globule of soul.
You were much more fearful, despite your need to adventure. At least one of these things did not change.
It spake its observation with jawbone clacking merrily; he tried to remember if it did this often. He couldn't remember it being there at all, before his death.
His... Death.
Despite his having fled to a warmer, forested area, he felt chills as he considered having died already.
Don't worry about your having died. It happens to everyone.
He leered at the spirit. Was that a joke it had made?

(Aaaagh. Hopefully this is ok; I'm not great at prompts. :') )

1C4RmMC.png
mlHpBMC.png
LF :: nests of
yMgLfNO.pnggem.pngcherubgeneeggivory.pngFz6gBO0.png
[center][b][i]Forgotten[/i][/b] -----[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44386038][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/443861/44386038.png[/img] [/url][/center] ----- "How long was I dead?" The question came suddenly; no warning, no anything. The duo were situated by a campfire, the setting sun to the dragon's left and the spirit to his right. He hadn't turned to look at the spirit. [i]Three hours before I found you. Five before I could get you to calm down enough to talk. One more for the time it took me to pull you back to your body.[/i] It paused. [i]I haven't forgotten your debt.[/i] "I didn't expect you to; see I don't know what debt you'll need from me is the issue." [i]I've been trying to decide myself.[/i] They collapsed into uneasy silence. When, after an uncomfortable ten minutes passed, Algernon spoke again, it was with another question. "What happened to kill me?" The spirit was silent. Eventually Algernon repeated himself; when again he was not answered, he changed the question. "Why did you rescue me?" This time, the spirit looked at him- or at least, it turned to face him with the skull of a raptorik that had been found half submerged in the detritus of the forest, all the bones picked clean by beetles and worms. [i]I rescued you because I am your familiar. Was I unknown when you saw me in the afterlife?[/i] "My familiar who catches me in a great debt, the fullness of which I cannot know, since the familiar itself does not know." [i]I didn't realize you no longer recognized me. Though this explains your fear.[/i] Algernon scoffed. "Me? Afraid?" He felt the thrumming of the familiar's aura, now amused, and now causticly sarcastic without speaking. "Well wouldn't you be afraid if you woke up only knowing how to speak and with a skeleton following you, a debt owed it?" [i]... While fair, you don't need to be afraid.[/i] "Very comforting, coming from our aforementioned skeleton." ----- ----- (Algernon has no idea what the heck is going on and clearly neither do I, part 2)
Forgotten
44386038.png

"How long was I dead?"
The question came suddenly; no warning, no anything. The duo were situated by a campfire, the setting sun to the dragon's left and the spirit to his right. He hadn't turned to look at the spirit.
Three hours before I found you. Five before I could get you to calm down enough to talk. One more for the time it took me to pull you back to your body.
It paused.
I haven't forgotten your debt.
"I didn't expect you to; see I don't know what debt you'll need from me is the issue."
I've been trying to decide myself.

They collapsed into uneasy silence. When, after an uncomfortable ten minutes passed, Algernon spoke again, it was with another question.
"What happened to kill me?"
The spirit was silent. Eventually Algernon repeated himself; when again he was not answered, he changed the question.
"Why did you rescue me?"
This time, the spirit looked at him- or at least, it turned to face him with the skull of a raptorik that had been found half submerged in the detritus of the forest, all the bones picked clean by beetles and worms.
I rescued you because I am your familiar. Was I unknown when you saw me in the afterlife?
"My familiar who catches me in a great debt, the fullness of which I cannot know, since the familiar itself does not know."
I didn't realize you no longer recognized me. Though this explains your fear.
Algernon scoffed. "Me? Afraid?" He felt the thrumming of the familiar's aura, now amused, and now causticly sarcastic without speaking. "Well wouldn't you be afraid if you woke up only knowing how to speak and with a skeleton following you, a debt owed it?"
... While fair, you don't need to be afraid.
"Very comforting, coming from our aforementioned skeleton."

(Algernon has no idea what the heck is going on and clearly neither do I, part 2)

1C4RmMC.png
mlHpBMC.png
@Demonchild77 @ZippoFeuer oooof i love both your prompts! 77, it's good to see Eden & Brin live on through your writing! Zippo, UGH, very good writing! I love the relationship building between Algernon and his aer phantom!
@Demonchild77 @ZippoFeuer oooof i love both your prompts! 77, it's good to see Eden & Brin live on through your writing! Zippo, UGH, very good writing! I love the relationship building between Algernon and his aer phantom!

The Melting Pot
AaaH I'm glad I did well on it!!
(He actually has a Somber Spirit; I'll change the journal entry ack)
AaaH I'm glad I did well on it!!
(He actually has a Somber Spirit; I'll change the journal entry ack)

1C4RmMC.png
mlHpBMC.png
-Forgotten-

1/2/2019

The reawakening itself wasn’t too odd; it was as if the pearlcatcher had awoken from a particularly bad nightmare; there was only one detail that was off- he had no idea where he was. For a moment; at least. It was then that he registered the pressure on his chest, and realized that he was still underneath the enemy that had ended his life- or, perhaps he had started it? Either way, Talus knew he would have to find a way out.

It wasn’t easy, and his comrades were nowhere to be found to help him out- he had been forgotten, left behind. All his worst fears began to creep into his heart; his father had forgotten him and his mother, preferring a life on the sea. There was no doubt that his family had forgotten him at this point. His friends- they had left him behind. And Kenai… would she forget him too? He laid there for a long time, unsure that he even wanted to get up and try again. And then he realized he couldn’t just waste his second shot at life dying. He wouldn’t wither away under the Tigerblood Foo that laid atop him, and he wouldn’t give up this easily.

With one particularly strong push, Talus had the Foo off of him, and he stumbled to his feet somewhat victoriously. Now another challenge presented itself- finding his way home. He had never found his way through the bamboo forest alone; never without his hunting comrades. He looked around, completely unsure of where to even begin. So he started as best as he could think.

He went left.

He traveled for what felt like days, though the fact that the sun hadn’t set yet indicated it must not have been more than a few hours. He followed various paths and twists and turns, hoping that the way home would miraculously reveal itself to him. It didn’t. He sat, completely defeated as the sun sank in the sky, the tall bamboo casting ominous shadows over everything, including him. He didn’t know how long he sat for, but it was a soft sniffling that pulled him out of his moping- it sounded vaguely child-like. “Hello? Talus called out, trying to head towards the sound. “Is someone else there?” As he followed, the sobbing seemed to move further and further away, so Talus did the only thing he could think of- he followed the noises.

Through the cold dark night he continued to call out, only to get no response aside from the continued crying of the child as he desperately tried to keep up. But what surprised him the most was the familiar clearing he found himself in when he finally caught up to the mystery dragon- it was the graveyard. It was their graveyard; the clan’s, that is. He realized that this young… he could now determine she was a dragoness, had led him home. He found himself eternally grateful, but approached the young dragon cautiously. “Hello?” He tried one more time, at which point there was a gasp and suddenly their attention snapped directly to Talus.

“Hello?” The little Fae responded, tears still falling from her eyes. “You can hear me?” Talus nodded, puzzled but unspeaking as he awaited some sort of explanation.

“I’ve been forgotten”

1 || 2 || 3 || 4

Apparently I'm making a little story out of these, so I hope you all enjoy if you take the time to read it!
-Forgotten-

1/2/2019

The reawakening itself wasn’t too odd; it was as if the pearlcatcher had awoken from a particularly bad nightmare; there was only one detail that was off- he had no idea where he was. For a moment; at least. It was then that he registered the pressure on his chest, and realized that he was still underneath the enemy that had ended his life- or, perhaps he had started it? Either way, Talus knew he would have to find a way out.

It wasn’t easy, and his comrades were nowhere to be found to help him out- he had been forgotten, left behind. All his worst fears began to creep into his heart; his father had forgotten him and his mother, preferring a life on the sea. There was no doubt that his family had forgotten him at this point. His friends- they had left him behind. And Kenai… would she forget him too? He laid there for a long time, unsure that he even wanted to get up and try again. And then he realized he couldn’t just waste his second shot at life dying. He wouldn’t wither away under the Tigerblood Foo that laid atop him, and he wouldn’t give up this easily.

With one particularly strong push, Talus had the Foo off of him, and he stumbled to his feet somewhat victoriously. Now another challenge presented itself- finding his way home. He had never found his way through the bamboo forest alone; never without his hunting comrades. He looked around, completely unsure of where to even begin. So he started as best as he could think.

He went left.

He traveled for what felt like days, though the fact that the sun hadn’t set yet indicated it must not have been more than a few hours. He followed various paths and twists and turns, hoping that the way home would miraculously reveal itself to him. It didn’t. He sat, completely defeated as the sun sank in the sky, the tall bamboo casting ominous shadows over everything, including him. He didn’t know how long he sat for, but it was a soft sniffling that pulled him out of his moping- it sounded vaguely child-like. “Hello? Talus called out, trying to head towards the sound. “Is someone else there?” As he followed, the sobbing seemed to move further and further away, so Talus did the only thing he could think of- he followed the noises.

Through the cold dark night he continued to call out, only to get no response aside from the continued crying of the child as he desperately tried to keep up. But what surprised him the most was the familiar clearing he found himself in when he finally caught up to the mystery dragon- it was the graveyard. It was their graveyard; the clan’s, that is. He realized that this young… he could now determine she was a dragoness, had led him home. He found himself eternally grateful, but approached the young dragon cautiously. “Hello?” He tried one more time, at which point there was a gasp and suddenly their attention snapped directly to Talus.

“Hello?” The little Fae responded, tears still falling from her eyes. “You can hear me?” Talus nodded, puzzled but unspeaking as he awaited some sort of explanation.

“I’ve been forgotten”

1 || 2 || 3 || 4

Apparently I'm making a little story out of these, so I hope you all enjoy if you take the time to read it!
ErMvEQA.png
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 52 53