Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | hiatus
1 2
[center] [font=times new roman][size=7][b]LOVERS ALONE WEAR SUNLIGHT[/b][/size][/font] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/dttR4NX7/roses-divider.png[/img] [columns][color=transparent]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color][size=7][font=times new roman][[/font][/size][nextcol] [center][i][font=times new roman][size=4]no love, no light, no end in sight and i'm looking for a miracle[/size][/font][/center][/i][nextcol] [size=7][font=times new roman]][/size][/font][color=transparent]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color][/columns] [font=times new roman][size=4]Ever since his true love died, Thrasher has lived in a haze. Every day the same: wake up and do whatever he was told to do by whoever was in charge of him. But when his leaders disappear, Thrasher is left alone, grasping at the empty shell of what had once been a full, bright life. In the midst of his attempt to find meaning, he runs into a narcissistic Wildclaw, who helps him relearn that there is far more to a dragon than what you see on the surface.[/font][/size] ----- [font=times new roman][size=5][b]table of contents[/b][/size][/font] [font=times new roman][size=4][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543/1#post_39441202][color=#FBAFA2]chapter one[/color][/url] --- [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543/1#post_39463639][color=#FBAFA2]chapter two[/color][/url] --- [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543/1#post_39470726][color=#FBAFA2]chapter three[/color][/url] --- [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543#post_39502624][color=#FBAFA2]chapter four[/color][/url] [/font][/size] [font=times new roman][size=4][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543/2#post_39629338][color=#F8A4B3]chapter five[/color][/url] --- [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543/2#post_39826348][color=#F8A4B3]chapter six[/color][/url] [font=times new roman][b]pinglist (always open):[/b] @/saltedsnails don't ping me - i'm subscribed to this thread![/center] [right][font=times new roman][size=1]roses divider by [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=view&tab=userpage&id=47189]x[/url] title borrowed from e.e. cummings bracketed lyrics: hurts - miracle[/size][/font][/right]
LOVERS ALONE WEAR SUNLIGHT

roses-divider.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[
no love, no light, no end in sight
and i'm looking for a miracle
]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ever since his true love died, Thrasher has lived in a haze. Every day the same: wake up and do whatever he was told to do by whoever was in charge of him. But when his leaders disappear, Thrasher is left alone, grasping at the empty shell of what had once been a full, bright life. In the midst of his attempt to find meaning, he runs into a narcissistic Wildclaw, who helps him relearn that there is far more to a dragon than what you see on the surface.

table of contents

chapter one --- chapter two --- chapter three --- chapter four

chapter five --- chapter six

pinglist (always open): @/saltedsnails

don't ping me - i'm subscribed to this thread!
roses divider by x
title borrowed from e.e. cummings
bracketed lyrics: hurts - miracle
Lk8UWJk.gifxx
[center][font=times new roman][size=6][b]chapter one[/b][/size][/font] @saltedsnails[/center] ----- [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=dragon&id=163187&did=32716499][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=125&bodygene=1&breed=3&element=9&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=100&tertgene=16&winggene=13&wings=152&auth=d8c58baf572976694b3c5bf8aad62750d044570a&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url][/center] Thrasher did not break the silence when he awoke. The quiet almost suffocated him. He blinked open his four eyes, and got his crests up, claws out, tail ready to lash. He bared his teeth just slightly as he surveyed his surroundings. All around him were trees. Beautiful, tall trees, crowned by a canopy of glimmering magenta. Tiny gaps in the strange, fluffy leaves high above him let in golden light; equally small insects buzzed through the air, and a Satin Mouse, pink eyes bright, darted out from beneath a tree and scurried into the forest. Beneath him, the forest floor was soft, and the most verdant green he had ever seen. Having awoken on his stomach, he slowly pulled himself up to a standing position. His crests lowered slightly, and his tail fell to the grass. With a jolt, he realized he had nothing on him. The bloody bandages he’d kept around his tail were gone (his scars were not), as was the massive Carapace Arm he’d worn in an attempt to look more threatening. Even his green-feathered birdskull necklace was nowhere to be found. [i]Where am I?[/i] Something about the forest was tinged with familiarity, but Thrasher couldn’t place it. Then, two young Fae flew right past his face, and the realization hit him. [i]Home. Almost, anyway.[/i] He turned in a circle, taking stock of what had been behind him, which turned out to be all the same. Just trees and tiny animals and soft grass. [i]I need to know….[/i] Thrasher rocketed off the grass, flying straight up through the trees. His wings banged clumsily against the branches as he went; it had been a long time since he’d last used them. Finally, he reached the top of the canopy, and alighted softly on a protruding branch. Looking around, he knew instantly where he was. Very close to the heart of the forest, and currently looking north, towards the center of the Starfall Isles. He turned around and saw in the distance the edges of the rest of Sornieth: the barren, cracked Plains; the dark, bizarre marsh-desert of the Wasteland; the great blue Sea, rippling in the current of some vast wind; the Plateau, home of the wind that stirred the currents; and the Icefield, glaring at him from afar under the sunlight. [i]I don’t know where I should go. Where[/i] could[i] I go, anyway? I’m….[/i] He lowered his head, staring at his own claws, remembering the blood that used to coat them. His body responded instantly to the memory, his breath coming quickly and his muscles tensing up. [i]Who would take me in? After everything I’ve done?[/i] He heaved a sigh. [i]No one. I suppose I’ll just live alone, now. What about Varanasi and Xerxes? I wonder where they are….[/i] Turning to cast his gaze out to the rest of the Isles, it occurred to him: [i]Maybe they’re here. This is their birthplace, after all, and they always loved being here. Couldn’t hurt to search for them.[/i] Thrasher spread his wings and took flight towards the Observatory. ----- [right][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543/1#post_39463639][color=#FBB4A7]next[/color][/url][/right]
chapter one
@saltedsnails

dragon?age=1&body=125&bodygene=1&breed=3&element=9&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=100&tertgene=16&winggene=13&wings=152&auth=d8c58baf572976694b3c5bf8aad62750d044570a&dummyext=prev.png

Thrasher did not break the silence when he awoke.

The quiet almost suffocated him. He blinked open his four eyes, and got his crests up, claws out, tail ready to lash. He bared his teeth just slightly as he surveyed his surroundings.

All around him were trees. Beautiful, tall trees, crowned by a canopy of glimmering magenta. Tiny gaps in the strange, fluffy leaves high above him let in golden light; equally small insects buzzed through the air, and a Satin Mouse, pink eyes bright, darted out from beneath a tree and scurried into the forest.

Beneath him, the forest floor was soft, and the most verdant green he had ever seen. Having awoken on his stomach, he slowly pulled himself up to a standing position. His crests lowered slightly, and his tail fell to the grass.

With a jolt, he realized he had nothing on him. The bloody bandages he’d kept around his tail were gone (his scars were not), as was the massive Carapace Arm he’d worn in an attempt to look more threatening. Even his green-feathered birdskull necklace was nowhere to be found.

Where am I?

Something about the forest was tinged with familiarity, but Thrasher couldn’t place it. Then, two young Fae flew right past his face, and the realization hit him.

Home. Almost, anyway.

He turned in a circle, taking stock of what had been behind him, which turned out to be all the same. Just trees and tiny animals and soft grass.

I need to know….

Thrasher rocketed off the grass, flying straight up through the trees. His wings banged clumsily against the branches as he went; it had been a long time since he’d last used them.

Finally, he reached the top of the canopy, and alighted softly on a protruding branch.

Looking around, he knew instantly where he was. Very close to the heart of the forest, and currently looking north, towards the center of the Starfall Isles. He turned around and saw in the distance the edges of the rest of Sornieth: the barren, cracked Plains; the dark, bizarre marsh-desert of the Wasteland; the great blue Sea, rippling in the current of some vast wind; the Plateau, home of the wind that stirred the currents; and the Icefield, glaring at him from afar under the sunlight.

I don’t know where I should go.

Where
could I go, anyway? I’m….

He lowered his head, staring at his own claws, remembering the blood that used to coat them. His body responded instantly to the memory, his breath coming quickly and his muscles tensing up.

Who would take me in? After everything I’ve done?

He heaved a sigh.

No one. I suppose I’ll just live alone, now.

What about Varanasi and Xerxes? I wonder where they are….

Turning to cast his gaze out to the rest of the Isles, it occurred to him: Maybe they’re here. This is their birthplace, after all, and they always loved being here. Couldn’t hurt to search for them.

Thrasher spread his wings and took flight towards the Observatory.
Lk8UWJk.gifxx
Ooh! This is so good! I love your writing :D
Can't wait for this next chapter!
Ooh! This is so good! I love your writing :D
Can't wait for this next chapter!
lM0v4sB.png saltedsnails
he/they
majors in procrastination
all-around soup enthusiast
+8 FRT

@saltedsnails aaa thank you!! [emoji=coatl happy size=2] i wrote a bunch of chapters in advance so the wait won't be super long ahaha
@saltedsnails aaa thank you!! i wrote a bunch of chapters in advance so the wait won't be super long ahaha
Lk8UWJk.gifxx
Ooh, nice one! :D
Ooh, nice one! :D
lM0v4sB.png saltedsnails
he/they
+8 FRT

[center][font=times new roman][size=6][b]chapter two[/b][/size][/font] @saltedsnails [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543/1#post_39463639][color=#FBB4A7]prev[/color][/url][/center] ----- [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dropbox/lore_arcane9933737.png[/img] [/center] Voices and distant wingbeats filled the air all around Thrasher as he landed on the balcony outside the highest entrance of the Grand Cosmic Library. One of the Arcane Flight’s prides and joys, the library was the second biggest in all Sornieth, and though most of its books revolved around typical Arcane curiosities, several shelves were devoted to other topics. He walked into the library, his claws tracking small, messy lines into the glossy wood floor. His wings covered his flanks, his tail lashed behind him, and he kept his head high, sweeping the vast upper floor with his eyes. Uncountable dragons filled the room, weaving between the shelves, all variety of books in their talons or bags, sometimes looking behind them to make sure they hadn’t left anyone behind. Thrasher ignored the sudden pang of loneliness and the faint memory of a brown Mirror, covered in little scars, who would have come with him. Dodging the claws of some clumsier Guardians, Thrasher darted into a quieter section and ran his talons along the books on the shelves. Their titles read [i]Mysterious Magical Ailments and Their Cures; Unexplainable Phenomena of Sornieth; Mythical Objects;[/i] et cetera. [i]I’ve stumbled into the “Oddball Magic” section, I suppose,[/i] Thrasher thought. As he entered another section of shelves, he overheard a youthful voice call out, “Merlin, look at this!” Thrasher’s crests perked up instantly, and he stopped, noticing two dragons and their heat signatures on the other side of the shelf. He slunk to the end of his own section and peered around the corner, listening closely. About halfway down the section was a pair of small dragons: a [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=163187&tab=dragon&did=51026154][color=#FBB4A7]Pearlcatcher[/color][/url] hatchling with an oddly large and shiny pearl, and a black-and-red [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=163187&tab=dragon&did=50419398][color=#FBB4A7]Fae[/color][/url] wearing a hat and some flowers. [i]“The Mystery of the Masques: What We Know About Modern Breed-Changing Technology,” [/i]the Fae read aloud, flicking two of his crests disdainfully. “Chabeus, this isn’t what we’re looking for.” “I know, but doesn’t it sound interesting?” The baby Pearlcatcher’s enthusiasm hadn’t dimmed at all despite the Fae’s rejection. “We’re not here for just [i]interesting,”[/i] the Fae huffed. “Maybe another shelf. Come on.” The two took off; Thrasher lost sight of them shortly after they turned a corner. He peered apprehensively at the book the two had been arguing about. [i]Huh...well, what do I have to lose?[/i] He threw a glance over his shoulder - some Tundras over by the far wall, other dragons walking through, but nothing suspicious - and walked to the book. He carefully took it off the shelf and set it on the floor in front of him, pawing through the pages and catching glimpses of sentences until one stuck out. [i]‘Some dragons have claimed that wearing one of these masques completely changes the body and appearance of the wearer, into a different species of dragon entirely. However, these reports are quite dubious, and-’[/i] Wait, what? He flipped a few pages back and found pictures of the masques. There seemed to be one for each dragon species (excluding Gaolers), and all of them looked shoddy: weak material bound together by craft tape. Something a hatchling would make. Thrasher went back to the section about the reports. [i]‘...little is known about their true effectiveness. For now, professionals strongly recommend avoiding wearing these masques, and if one is found, to hide it somewhere no one else can find it.’[/i] [i]Weird,[/i] Thrasher thought. [i]Not like it matters. Never seen one of these in my life, probably never will.[/i] He closed the book, reshelved it somewhat roughly, and kept moving through the library, scanning even the tiniest gaps for any signs of his former leaders. ----- [right][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543/1#post_39470726][color=#FBB4A7]next[/color][/url][/right]
chapter two
@saltedsnails
prev

lore_arcane9933737.png
Voices and distant wingbeats filled the air all around Thrasher as he landed on the balcony outside the highest entrance of the Grand Cosmic Library. One of the Arcane Flight’s prides and joys, the library was the second biggest in all Sornieth, and though most of its books revolved around typical Arcane curiosities, several shelves were devoted to other topics.

He walked into the library, his claws tracking small, messy lines into the glossy wood floor. His wings covered his flanks, his tail lashed behind him, and he kept his head high, sweeping the vast upper floor with his eyes. Uncountable dragons filled the room, weaving between the shelves, all variety of books in their talons or bags, sometimes looking behind them to make sure they hadn’t left anyone behind. Thrasher ignored the sudden pang of loneliness and the faint memory of a brown Mirror, covered in little scars, who would have come with him.

Dodging the claws of some clumsier Guardians, Thrasher darted into a quieter section and ran his talons along the books on the shelves. Their titles read Mysterious Magical Ailments and Their Cures; Unexplainable Phenomena of Sornieth; Mythical Objects; et cetera.

I’ve stumbled into the “Oddball Magic” section, I suppose, Thrasher thought. As he entered another section of shelves, he overheard a youthful voice call out, “Merlin, look at this!”

Thrasher’s crests perked up instantly, and he stopped, noticing two dragons and their heat signatures on the other side of the shelf. He slunk to the end of his own section and peered around the corner, listening closely.

About halfway down the section was a pair of small dragons: a Pearlcatcher hatchling with an oddly large and shiny pearl, and a black-and-red Fae wearing a hat and some flowers.

“The Mystery of the Masques: What We Know About Modern Breed-Changing Technology,” the Fae read aloud, flicking two of his crests disdainfully. “Chabeus, this isn’t what we’re looking for.”

“I know, but doesn’t it sound interesting?” The baby Pearlcatcher’s enthusiasm hadn’t dimmed at all despite the Fae’s rejection.

“We’re not here for just interesting,” the Fae huffed. “Maybe another shelf. Come on.”

The two took off; Thrasher lost sight of them shortly after they turned a corner.

He peered apprehensively at the book the two had been arguing about. Huh...well, what do I have to lose?

He threw a glance over his shoulder - some Tundras over by the far wall, other dragons walking through, but nothing suspicious - and walked to the book.

He carefully took it off the shelf and set it on the floor in front of him, pawing through the pages and catching glimpses of sentences until one stuck out. ‘Some dragons have claimed that wearing one of these masques completely changes the body and appearance of the wearer, into a different species of dragon entirely. However, these reports are quite dubious, and-’

Wait, what?

He flipped a few pages back and found pictures of the masques. There seemed to be one for each dragon species (excluding Gaolers), and all of them looked shoddy: weak material bound together by craft tape. Something a hatchling would make.

Thrasher went back to the section about the reports.

‘...little is known about their true effectiveness. For now, professionals strongly recommend avoiding wearing these masques, and if one is found, to hide it somewhere no one else can find it.’

Weird, Thrasher thought. Not like it matters. Never seen one of these in my life, probably never will.

He closed the book, reshelved it somewhat roughly, and kept moving through the library, scanning even the tiniest gaps for any signs of his former leaders.
Lk8UWJk.gifxx
[center][font=times new roman][size=6][b]chapter three[/b][/size][/font] @saltedsnails quick lil character intro today! [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543/1#post_39463639][color=#FBB4A7]prev[/color][/url][/center] ----- [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=163187&tab=dragon&did=52330569][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/523306/52330569_350.png?mtime=XQQsqAACt7U.png[/img][/url][/center] The summer morning sun spilled into Yanan’s room like a river of light, filling every last corner to the brim with shimmer and shine. As always, his Xolo, Hubun, was in for a rude awakening, thanks to the harsh beams falling upon his tiny eyelids from Yanan’s own crystalline, sparkling scales. Hubun dug his head further into his blanket, despite knowing it wouldn’t change much. Yanan slowly opened his eyes, blinking off the flakes of last night’s dreams. A new day had dawned. The sun bathed his soon-to-be kingdom in joy and glory. Time to get up. Right on time, one of the servants rushed in. “Good morning, Master Yanan. It’s a pleasure to see you again. Are you ready to get up?” “Certainly,” Yanan purred. As usual, the servant stood at the ready by Yanan’s side as he got up, shaking the last vestiges of drowsiness away. “I’m up.” “Wonderful. Would you like me to put your jewelry on you now or later?” “Now.” This servant, of course, had four Fae in tow: part of the routine. The Fae flitted over to Yanan’s pieces of Seraph jewelry - neatly cleaned and arranged by other servants the previous night - and, with gentle touches, worked in pairs to drape the jewelry across his gleaming scales. Finally, he stood in his room shining like a pink-tinted sun, dressed sparingly in the finest jewels money could buy. With no further words, the servants exited the room, leaving Yanan to nudge Hubun out from under his blanket. Naturally, it didn’t take long, and within a minute the two were strolling down to the dining area. Yanan’s father smiled as he approached. “Good morning, my dear son. Take your seat,” he said, gesturing to Yanan’s seat of honor on his father’s right side. Opposite Yanan’s seat was his mother, beaming at him from the other side of the most abundant breakfast arrangement in Sornieth. The morning joy lasted into the afternoon as Yanan ate well and spent the day roaming the castle. His every need was attended to, and with every step he took someone rained another compliment or well wish on him. This was the way things were; the way they had been; the way they should be; and the way they would be. Yanan did not doubt that at all. ----- [right][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543#post_39502624][color=#FABBAE]next[/color][/url]
chapter three
@saltedsnails
quick lil character intro today!
prev

52330569_350.png?mtime=XQQsqAACt7U.png
The summer morning sun spilled into Yanan’s room like a river of light, filling every last corner to the brim with shimmer and shine. As always, his Xolo, Hubun, was in for a rude awakening, thanks to the harsh beams falling upon his tiny eyelids from Yanan’s own crystalline, sparkling scales. Hubun dug his head further into his blanket, despite knowing it wouldn’t change much.

Yanan slowly opened his eyes, blinking off the flakes of last night’s dreams. A new day had dawned. The sun bathed his soon-to-be kingdom in joy and glory. Time to get up.

Right on time, one of the servants rushed in.

“Good morning, Master Yanan. It’s a pleasure to see you again. Are you ready to get up?”

“Certainly,” Yanan purred. As usual, the servant stood at the ready by Yanan’s side as he got up, shaking the last vestiges of drowsiness away. “I’m up.”

“Wonderful. Would you like me to put your jewelry on you now or later?”

“Now.”

This servant, of course, had four Fae in tow: part of the routine. The Fae flitted over to Yanan’s pieces of Seraph jewelry - neatly cleaned and arranged by other servants the previous night - and, with gentle touches, worked in pairs to drape the jewelry across his gleaming scales. Finally, he stood in his room shining like a pink-tinted sun, dressed sparingly in the finest jewels money could buy.

With no further words, the servants exited the room, leaving Yanan to nudge Hubun out from under his blanket. Naturally, it didn’t take long, and within a minute the two were strolling down to the dining area.

Yanan’s father smiled as he approached.

“Good morning, my dear son. Take your seat,” he said, gesturing to Yanan’s seat of honor on his father’s right side. Opposite Yanan’s seat was his mother, beaming at him from the other side of the most abundant breakfast arrangement in Sornieth.

The morning joy lasted into the afternoon as Yanan ate well and spent the day roaming the castle. His every need was attended to, and with every step he took someone rained another compliment or well wish on him.

This was the way things were; the way they had been; the way they should be; and the way they would be.

Yanan did not doubt that at all.
Lk8UWJk.gifxx
Oh dear, something’s bound to go wrong for Prince Pink over here—
Oh dear, something’s bound to go wrong for Prince Pink over here—
lM0v4sB.png saltedsnails
he/they
+8 FRT

/wiggles eyebrows
/wiggles eyebrows
Lk8UWJk.gifxx
[center][font=times new roman][size=6][b]chapter four[/b][/size][/font] @saltedsnails this was originally two chapters...hence the extra length [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543#post_39470726][color=#FBB4A7]prev[/color][/url][/center] ----- [center][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/map/icons/arcane_2.png[/img] [/center] If there’s anything that having a Featherback Boar as a familiar will teach you, it’s that persistence is key. By the time Thrasher started prowling the Grand Cosmic Library on a daily basis, it’d been a long time since he’d seen his old Boar. A shame, considering what a great fighting partner he’d been. Thrasher had no time to think too hard about it; he had thrown himself wholeheartedly and feverishly into the hunt for Varanasi and Xerxes. A week passed, then a month, with no success. A few times, he’d seen dragons with their colors, or Fae with almost their exact proportions, but they were never right. Somewhere around the second or third month - he wasn’t counting - he thought, [i]I’d be willing to settle for Euros or Silvas too. In fact, I bet they could help me find Varanasi and Xerxes. They basically raised those two anyway.[/i] He half-grimaced, half-chuckled, remembering the days of watching two Fae trying to raise two Imperial hatchlings. What a time. [i]Not important.[/i] He mentally kicked himself and went back to stalking the shelves. Boring, boring, boring. [i]Too many books about stupid topics.[/i] He frowned at a luxury cookbook, written by some hoity-toity Pearlcatcher in the Sunbeam Ruins. [i]Who needs to know that? Just bite the damn meat,[/i] he thought, rolling his eyes. Occasionally, he’d run across something interesting. The books about battle tactics caught his eyes the most, but they all proved to be disappointments, full of information that was either outdated, pointless, stupid, or something he already knew. One book he tried not to think about was the one that mentioned the Badstars. Seeing his leaders’ names and portraits in print was surreal enough without the nausea that came from remembering those days. Time passed without Thrasher’s awareness of it. Every day was the same: wake up in some obscure location, go to the library, steal somebody’s food while looking for Varanasi and Xerxes, give up shortly after sundown, go find an obscure place to fall asleep in, repeat. The routine carried on for weeks, until a very rude Imperial hatchling nudged its mother and said, “Mama, wasn’t that dragon in that book?” And the mother recognized Thrasher from his own portrait in the same book that had namedropped the Badstars, and she kicked up a fuss about a [i]heartless murderer-criminal in the Library,[/i] and someone tried to throw Thrasher out but he was too tough for that. He ended up getting thrown out anyway, on account of starting a huge fight on the second floor, and was told never to come back or else he’d be killed, and he was lucky to escape with his life, yadda yadda yadda. [i]Heard it before.[/i] He dusted himself off, checking all around even when he found somewhere safe to ensure no one was following him. [i]So, what now? Where else would they be? They have to be in the Starfall Isles. I can’t imagine them anywhere else, aside from the Sea...but they’ve made so many enemies there, I doubt they’d return. That leaves the question: where in the Isles?[/i] Thrasher racked his brain, recalling conversations that felt like they took place eons ago, ones where he learned where his leaders had come from and where they’d been. Materialized in the Isles all of a sudden, traveled west until they couldn’t anymore, met on the cliff, love at first sight, moved around with their family and clanmates...the Focal Point, maybe? [i]They could be hiding out on one of those floating meteors like they did way back. Trying not to get spotted, trying to regain their power, if they lost it.[/i] Thrasher gave his surroundings another quick look before tossing his head back and staring straight into the cloudy sky. He tilted his head just slightly and thought, [i]What the hell, it’s worth a shot.[/i] He spread his wings and took off into the meteors. [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/ZuC362q.gif[/img] [/center] To nobody’s surprise - assuming anybody had seen it - Thrasher landed almost immediately, on the first piece of floating rock he saw. Mirrors have never been known for their flight endurance. So the great hunt for Varanasi and Xerxes became a game of leaping. Thrasher’s decades of jumping and running and generally throwing himself around came in handy; even the longest gaps could be quickly closed, and if he couldn’t make it on legpower alone, a single flap of his wings would cover the rest. He went higher and higher, moving through each roughly designated layer of chunks. Some dragons had decided to try to split the meteor pieces into layers based on...size? Composition? Something like that. Thrasher saw it as a completely pointless pursuit and thus didn’t waste time thinking about it. Size would have certainly made sense, though: the higher he went, the larger the chunks became, until he started coming across entire clans (of respectable sizes) living on the rocks. Some of the islands were flourishing, with their own little ecosystems and dragons tending to them; others were barren, seemingly abandoned a long time ago. Thrasher strongly preferred the barren ones; less chance of another encounter like the one in the Library. Time fell away as the air thinned. Before he knew it, Thrasher was in the highest layer; the sun was beginning to set far away, and the stars came out above him. The sky was cloudless, as it often was in this part of the world, and when Thrasher’s primitive instincts reminded him of how thirsty he was, he stopped to drink from a puddle on one of the islands. He meant to keep moving as soon as he finished, but when he turned and gazed back up, he stopped still. He could feel his heart pumping and the blood running through his body, the entire world quiet around him as he took in the sight of a deep navy sky blackening and beginning to sparkle. This was what it must mean to be an Arcane dragon, he thought: to see the stars and understand instantly and innately how vast and unknowable the universe was, and then to try to learn its secrets anyway. All of this was the reason for the Observatory and the Library and the things that had always puzzled him about his own Flight; for a moment, it all made sense. Thrasher felt as though he didn’t even need to reach out to touch the stars; they were right there, and sooner or later one of them might fall on him and clothe him in the light everyone far below lost their minds over. [i]Wait, what am I thinking?[/i] He shook his head and looked towards the next highest meteor, rocketing out to it. And the next, and the next, and the next… [i]Can’t breathe.[/i] He almost wheezed in his mind. [i]I gotta...stop.[/i] He stopped, breathing heavily, on one of the highest meteors in the Focal Point. It was all rock, and warm to the touch; it must have (for lack of a better word) landed recently. Another moment passed before Thrasher spotted something a few Fae-lengths away. It was half inside one of the holes on the meteor, a cold, steely blue, and seemed to be made of paper. He took cautious steps towards it, and once he reached it, carefully tugged it out of the hole. [center][item=paper tundra masque] [/center] [i]Where have I seen this before?[/i] Thrasher thought back to the Library. The book he’d read, a few months ago, had a picture of something that looked similar to this. [i]‘...wearing one of these masques completely changes the body and appearance of the wearer, to a different species entirely.’ [/i] Thrasher’s heart skipped a beat. [i]It’s a little crude, like in the book, and it’s got the same tape as those other masques. It looks like a Tundra. I wonder…? No, no, what am I thinking? There’s no way it could actually do that.[/i] It almost felt like the masque was beckoning to him, calling out, “Hey, Thrasher! Put me on! Give me a try!” As he grabbed the masque, Varanasi and Xerxes reentered his mind. [i]Well...it’s not gonna work, obviously,[/i] he reasoned. [i]I’ll try it on, nothing will happen, I’ll put it back, and then I’ll go find them. Good plan.[/i] He lowered his head, tugging the masque over it, keeping his crests low. [i]Yeah, figures. Of course nothing’s happe-[/i] A flash of light swallowed him entirely. ----- [right][font=times new roman][size=1]divider from [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2416751][color=#FBB4A7]here[/color][/url][/font][/size] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2705543/2#post_39629338][color=#FBB4a7]next[/color][/url]
chapter four
@saltedsnails
this was originally two chapters...hence the extra length
prev

arcane_2.png
If there’s anything that having a Featherback Boar as a familiar will teach you, it’s that persistence is key.

By the time Thrasher started prowling the Grand Cosmic Library on a daily basis, it’d been a long time since he’d seen his old Boar. A shame, considering what a great fighting partner he’d been.

Thrasher had no time to think too hard about it; he had thrown himself wholeheartedly and feverishly into the hunt for Varanasi and Xerxes. A week passed, then a month, with no success. A few times, he’d seen dragons with their colors, or Fae with almost their exact proportions, but they were never right. Somewhere around the second or third month - he wasn’t counting - he thought, I’d be willing to settle for Euros or Silvas too. In fact, I bet they could help me find Varanasi and Xerxes. They basically raised those two anyway. He half-grimaced, half-chuckled, remembering the days of watching two Fae trying to raise two Imperial hatchlings. What a time.

Not important. He mentally kicked himself and went back to stalking the shelves.

Boring, boring, boring. Too many books about stupid topics. He frowned at a luxury cookbook, written by some hoity-toity Pearlcatcher in the Sunbeam Ruins. Who needs to know that? Just bite the damn meat, he thought, rolling his eyes.

Occasionally, he’d run across something interesting. The books about battle tactics caught his eyes the most, but they all proved to be disappointments, full of information that was either outdated, pointless, stupid, or something he already knew. One book he tried not to think about was the one that mentioned the Badstars. Seeing his leaders’ names and portraits in print was surreal enough without the nausea that came from remembering those days.

Time passed without Thrasher’s awareness of it. Every day was the same: wake up in some obscure location, go to the library, steal somebody’s food while looking for Varanasi and Xerxes, give up shortly after sundown, go find an obscure place to fall asleep in, repeat.

The routine carried on for weeks, until a very rude Imperial hatchling nudged its mother and said, “Mama, wasn’t that dragon in that book?” And the mother recognized Thrasher from his own portrait in the same book that had namedropped the Badstars, and she kicked up a fuss about a heartless murderer-criminal in the Library, and someone tried to throw Thrasher out but he was too tough for that. He ended up getting thrown out anyway, on account of starting a huge fight on the second floor, and was told never to come back or else he’d be killed, and he was lucky to escape with his life, yadda yadda yadda.

Heard it before.

He dusted himself off, checking all around even when he found somewhere safe to ensure no one was following him.

So, what now?

Where else would they be?

They have to be in the Starfall Isles. I can’t imagine them anywhere else, aside from the Sea...but they’ve made so many enemies there, I doubt they’d return. That leaves the question: where in the Isles?

Thrasher racked his brain, recalling conversations that felt like they took place eons ago, ones where he learned where his leaders had come from and where they’d been. Materialized in the Isles all of a sudden, traveled west until they couldn’t anymore, met on the cliff, love at first sight, moved around with their family and clanmates...the Focal Point, maybe?

They could be hiding out on one of those floating meteors like they did way back. Trying not to get spotted, trying to regain their power, if they lost it.

Thrasher gave his surroundings another quick look before tossing his head back and staring straight into the cloudy sky. He tilted his head just slightly and thought, What the hell, it’s worth a shot.

He spread his wings and took off into the meteors.
ZuC362q.gif
To nobody’s surprise - assuming anybody had seen it - Thrasher landed almost immediately, on the first piece of floating rock he saw. Mirrors have never been known for their flight endurance.

So the great hunt for Varanasi and Xerxes became a game of leaping. Thrasher’s decades of jumping and running and generally throwing himself around came in handy; even the longest gaps could be quickly closed, and if he couldn’t make it on legpower alone, a single flap of his wings would cover the rest.

He went higher and higher, moving through each roughly designated layer of chunks. Some dragons had decided to try to split the meteor pieces into layers based on...size? Composition? Something like that. Thrasher saw it as a completely pointless pursuit and thus didn’t waste time thinking about it.

Size would have certainly made sense, though: the higher he went, the larger the chunks became, until he started coming across entire clans (of respectable sizes) living on the rocks. Some of the islands were flourishing, with their own little ecosystems and dragons tending to them; others were barren, seemingly abandoned a long time ago. Thrasher strongly preferred the barren ones; less chance of another encounter like the one in the Library.

Time fell away as the air thinned. Before he knew it, Thrasher was in the highest layer; the sun was beginning to set far away, and the stars came out above him. The sky was cloudless, as it often was in this part of the world, and when Thrasher’s primitive instincts reminded him of how thirsty he was, he stopped to drink from a puddle on one of the islands. He meant to keep moving as soon as he finished, but when he turned and gazed back up, he stopped still.

He could feel his heart pumping and the blood running through his body, the entire world quiet around him as he took in the sight of a deep navy sky blackening and beginning to sparkle. This was what it must mean to be an Arcane dragon, he thought: to see the stars and understand instantly and innately how vast and unknowable the universe was, and then to try to learn its secrets anyway. All of this was the reason for the Observatory and the Library and the things that had always puzzled him about his own Flight; for a moment, it all made sense. Thrasher felt as though he didn’t even need to reach out to touch the stars; they were right there, and sooner or later one of them might fall on him and clothe him in the light everyone far below lost their minds over.

Wait, what am I thinking?

He shook his head and looked towards the next highest meteor, rocketing out to it. And the next, and the next, and the next…

Can’t breathe. He almost wheezed in his mind. I gotta...stop.

He stopped, breathing heavily, on one of the highest meteors in the Focal Point. It was all rock, and warm to the touch; it must have (for lack of a better word) landed recently.

Another moment passed before Thrasher spotted something a few Fae-lengths away. It was half inside one of the holes on the meteor, a cold, steely blue, and seemed to be made of paper. He took cautious steps towards it, and once he reached it, carefully tugged it out of the hole.
Paper Tundra Masque
Where have I seen this before?

Thrasher thought back to the Library. The book he’d read, a few months ago, had a picture of something that looked similar to this. ‘...wearing one of these masques completely changes the body and appearance of the wearer, to a different species entirely.’

Thrasher’s heart skipped a beat. It’s a little crude, like in the book, and it’s got the same tape as those other masques. It looks like a Tundra. I wonder…?

No, no, what am I thinking? There’s no way it could actually do that.

It almost felt like the masque was beckoning to him, calling out, “Hey, Thrasher! Put me on! Give me a try!”

As he grabbed the masque, Varanasi and Xerxes reentered his mind.

Well...it’s not gonna work, obviously, he reasoned. I’ll try it on, nothing will happen, I’ll put it back, and then I’ll go find them. Good plan.

He lowered his head, tugging the masque over it, keeping his crests low.

Yeah, figures. Of course nothing’s happe-

A flash of light swallowed him entirely.
divider from here

next
Lk8UWJk.gifxx
1 2