Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [BSJ] A Wayward Workshop
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14302719] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/143028/14302719_350.png[/img] [/url] Cerulean decided to pay another visit to the workshop today. Most of the rest of his clan had lost interest in the excavations going on down there, but the Imperial was curious to see what they'd found as they'd gone deeper and deeper. He wasn't disappointed; they'd uncovered a room that was far more lavishly decorated than any he'd seen so far. Or at least, that's what he imagined it must have been, back when it had been in use. The Imperial hadn't met Cora yet, and he did jump in suprise when she put a claw on his shoulder. "Hopefully, you won't have any more trouble from them soon," Cerulean replied. "I know there are remnants of the Shade still lurking in the deepest parts of these ruins. One of my clanmates, she... she had a run in with a fragment of the Shade, many years ago. She hasn't been the same since." It wasn't a subject Cerulean wanted to dwell on, of course, so he turned his attention towards the artifacts Cora had laid out for him this time. If this had once been the personal workshop of a master Light craftsdragon, then they had to have been being used for something very special, he figured. "I... think she may have been making a toy?" Cerulean said at last. "Look, this statue and these wings are clearly meant to go together. This pith was probably meant to help bind them together. And the book... it's hard to make out, but these seem to be stories about this creature. Adventures, mostly. "Athena must have been making this for someone very precious to her. One of her own hatchlings, perhaps. I wonder why it was never finished?"

14302719_350.png

Cerulean decided to pay another visit to the workshop today. Most of the rest of his clan had lost interest in the excavations going on down there, but the Imperial was curious to see what they'd found as they'd gone deeper and deeper. He wasn't disappointed; they'd uncovered a room that was far more lavishly decorated than any he'd seen so far. Or at least, that's what he imagined it must have been, back when it had been in use.

The Imperial hadn't met Cora yet, and he did jump in suprise when she put a claw on his shoulder. "Hopefully, you won't have any more trouble from them soon," Cerulean replied. "I know there are remnants of the Shade still lurking in the deepest parts of these ruins. One of my clanmates, she... she had a run in with a fragment of the Shade, many years ago. She hasn't been the same since."

It wasn't a subject Cerulean wanted to dwell on, of course, so he turned his attention towards the artifacts Cora had laid out for him this time. If this had once been the personal workshop of a master Light craftsdragon, then they had to have been being used for something very special, he figured.

"I... think she may have been making a toy?" Cerulean said at last. "Look, this statue and these wings are clearly meant to go together. This pith was probably meant to help bind them together. And the book... it's hard to make out, but these seem to be stories about this creature. Adventures, mostly.

"Athena must have been making this for someone very precious to her. One of her own hatchlings, perhaps. I wonder why it was never finished?"
xpP2XdL.png
This is the prompt for June 28th. Note that [b]submissions for the June 27th prompt are still open[/b] until rollover! This posting however, also opens up the June 28th prompt to anyone who is interested in participating in it. [quote][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/f5ccb032736d73ae8df37af82ab161d1/tumblr_inline_nswmwe0q2G1qiwi8o_500.gif[/img][color=transparent]--[/color][b]Day Thirteen[/b] [center]It's a bit bittersweet, you think, as you proceed through the tent city that's been home to so many souls over the past two weeks. There's a noticeable absence as archeologists are going home, and the ones leftover are throwing an unending party, the joy thriving in both the night and day. As you enter the workshop, you don't have to go very far. There's more boxes then there were yesterday in the foyer, and some of them are stacked so precariously high they reach the ceiling. You even witness some crates being moved out, undoubtedly going to various museums and archives scattered across the Sunbeam Ruins. You wonder if Cora will be taking anything. Speaking of her, she's sitting at a table, not too dissimilar from the one you saw her at day two, when you first entered the workshop. She looks up, and waves you over. [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/136979/13697861_350.png[/img] "Hey, welcome to chaos. Well, a new form of it. We've gotta have most of this stuff out by tomorrow." She laughs, looking around fondly. "Gotta admit, gonna miss this place after we close the excavation." This sends her into a silence that lingers for a little longer than comfortable, and then she perks up. "Well, mind as well make the most of it while we're still here! You're here as a volunteer, right? Here." She pauses to duck under the table and pull up a crate. As it thuds on the table, you peak over the lip to see inside. There's a cluster of items staring up at you. Cora raps the side of the box with her paw and sits back patiently. "I'm sure you know what to do by now." [item=fishing net][item=bioluminescent tail][item=unfinished painting][item=vulpine lamp][item=journeyman satchels][/center][/quote] [size=2]@Arkanjel @BlackwatchGenji @lilystar6 @Juri01 @Snek @mewCoyote @quietgal @Alastriona1 @Saraceaser @Pufferheart @Starsoul @rainenchanter @MandragoraAutumn @nostalgicgalaxy @Tempter @Harana @ghostlyplants @HelianthusNox @RemanLT @Wonderlast @artimator @GuardianDragonak @Lundlaeva @NStar @KingOfCamelot @Rivertyl[/size]
This is the prompt for June 28th. Note that submissions for the June 27th prompt are still open until rollover! This posting however, also opens up the June 28th prompt to anyone who is interested in participating in it.

Quote:
tumblr_inline_nswmwe0q2G1qiwi8o_500.gif--Day Thirteen
It's a bit bittersweet, you think, as you proceed through the tent city that's been home to so many souls over the past two weeks. There's a noticeable absence as archeologists are going home, and the ones leftover are throwing an unending party, the joy thriving in both the night and day. As you enter the workshop, you don't have to go very far. There's more boxes then there were yesterday in the foyer, and some of them are stacked so precariously high they reach the ceiling.

You even witness some crates being moved out, undoubtedly going to various museums and archives scattered across the Sunbeam Ruins. You wonder if Cora will be taking anything. Speaking of her, she's sitting at a table, not too dissimilar from the one you saw her at day two, when you first entered the workshop. She looks up, and waves you over.

13697861_350.png

"Hey, welcome to chaos. Well, a new form of it. We've gotta have most of this stuff out by tomorrow." She laughs, looking around fondly. "Gotta admit, gonna miss this place after we close the excavation."

This sends her into a silence that lingers for a little longer than comfortable, and then she perks up. "Well, mind as well make the most of it while we're still here! You're here as a volunteer, right? Here." She pauses to duck under the table and pull up a crate.

As it thuds on the table, you peak over the lip to see inside. There's a cluster of items staring up at you. Cora raps the side of the box with her paw and sits back patiently. "I'm sure you know what to do by now."

Fishing Net Bioluminescent Tail Unfinished Painting Vulpine Lamp Journeyman Satchels

@Arkanjel @BlackwatchGenji @lilystar6 @Juri01 @Snek @mewCoyote @quietgal @Alastriona1 @Saraceaser @Pufferheart @Starsoul @rainenchanter @MandragoraAutumn @nostalgicgalaxy @Tempter @Harana @ghostlyplants @HelianthusNox @RemanLT @Wonderlast @artimator @GuardianDragonak @Lundlaeva @NStar @KingOfCamelot @Rivertyl
je67dzK.gif ...
Val + she/her + fr+3
talk to me about hozier

7zrgo5F.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52515343] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/525154/52515343_350.png[/img] [/url] Jelakai still wasn't sure how he felt about being the center of so much attention. As he wandered through the festival grounds, drawing looks and stares from dragons all around him. He still wasn't entirely used to being out on the surface, having spent his entire life underground until a few weeks ago, and coming out to his first festival was honestly something of a shock. At least now, with the festival coming to a close, he felt a little more comfortable about straying from the clan's airship. He was a little more curious than some of his fellow Gaolers about exploring this strange new world, even if so much of it was still very strange to him. The Gaoler wandered over towards the workshop. His clanmates had been talking about it so much over the last few days that he couldn't help but take a peek. Sadly, the site seemed to be being shut down, and nearly everything was being packed into huge crates. A large Imperial came over to him, saying something about being a volunteer, and Jelakai stared at Cora in confusion for a moment. "Me? Volunteer?" he growled, tilting his head at her. "Mmm.... well, I could try." The Gaoler went over to examine the objects in the crate Cora had set out. He gave them a good sniff before doing anything else. He had to make sure they weren't Shade-touched, after all. That lamp in particular looked suspicious. But no, they were all clean. Too clean, honestly. Being so deep inside Light territory was messing with Jelakai's sense of smell, or so he thought. After several long minutes, an answer slowly came to him. "Hmm.... supplies for catching things, I think," he said to Cora. "Yes, the tail could light the way. These satchels could hold food and supplies. The lamp... bait, maybe? Might attract things to it, it's so very strange. And of course, the net to catch the prey, once it has come close. "But the painting," Jelakai went on. "That's the mystery here. Were they trying to paint whatever they caught? Bah, that makes no sense. Should just freeze them once caught. It's the only way. Why waste time painting them?" It had, perhaps, been the most obvious answer for the Gaoler. He'd spent his whole life training to catch Shadebeasts and the like. And yet, it seemed like whoever had used these was trying to catch creatures to paint pictures of them. It made no sense at all. "You know... we Gaolers had believed we were the only dragons until quite recently," Jelakai added, turning back towards Cora. "Clearly, we have so much to learn now."

52515343_350.png

Jelakai still wasn't sure how he felt about being the center of so much attention. As he wandered through the festival grounds, drawing looks and stares from dragons all around him. He still wasn't entirely used to being out on the surface, having spent his entire life underground until a few weeks ago, and coming out to his first festival was honestly something of a shock. At least now, with the festival coming to a close, he felt a little more comfortable about straying from the clan's airship. He was a little more curious than some of his fellow Gaolers about exploring this strange new world, even if so much of it was still very strange to him.

The Gaoler wandered over towards the workshop. His clanmates had been talking about it so much over the last few days that he couldn't help but take a peek. Sadly, the site seemed to be being shut down, and nearly everything was being packed into huge crates. A large Imperial came over to him, saying something about being a volunteer, and Jelakai stared at Cora in confusion for a moment.

"Me? Volunteer?" he growled, tilting his head at her. "Mmm.... well, I could try." The Gaoler went over to examine the objects in the crate Cora had set out. He gave them a good sniff before doing anything else. He had to make sure they weren't Shade-touched, after all. That lamp in particular looked suspicious. But no, they were all clean. Too clean, honestly. Being so deep inside Light territory was messing with Jelakai's sense of smell, or so he thought.

After several long minutes, an answer slowly came to him. "Hmm.... supplies for catching things, I think," he said to Cora. "Yes, the tail could light the way. These satchels could hold food and supplies. The lamp... bait, maybe? Might attract things to it, it's so very strange. And of course, the net to catch the prey, once it has come close.

"But the painting," Jelakai went on. "That's the mystery here. Were they trying to paint whatever they caught? Bah, that makes no sense. Should just freeze them once caught. It's the only way. Why waste time painting them?" It had, perhaps, been the most obvious answer for the Gaoler. He'd spent his whole life training to catch Shadebeasts and the like. And yet, it seemed like whoever had used these was trying to catch creatures to paint pictures of them. It made no sense at all.

"You know... we Gaolers had believed we were the only dragons until quite recently," Jelakai added, turning back towards Cora. "Clearly, we have so much to learn now."
xpP2XdL.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=22606393] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/226064/22606393_350.png[/img] [/url] "No-Yes, I understand. I'll send you screenshots. Please take care of things over there." [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23090491] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/230905/23090491_350.png[/img] [/url] "What did Fortinbras say?" [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52199596] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/521996/52199596_350.png[/img] [/url] "Is Macbeth ok?" Kathering sighs, "Something's happened back at home base. Everyone's beens scrambling around trying to fix it. Something about Pandora's box? Anyways, Macbeth hasn't been spotted since you two left. I'm sure your boyfriend is fine though. Agrippa?" The nocturne has curled up into a ball. He looks up at Katherine with wide eyes, "You'll help me find Macbeth when we're done here, right?" Katherine sighs, "Yes, Agrippa. Anyways, back to the artifacts. I'm completely stumped." "Me too," Alice says. She's playing around with the journeyman's satchels, opening and closing pockets. A scroll of parchment falls out. "Oh! What's this?" Alice picks up the parchment and reads it, "Instructions on how to make and read invisible ink! Oh, ok... None of the ingredients are in the artifacts pile." "What about how to read it?" Katherine asks, holding her breath. "Oh! It says... Pour Vulpine lamp mist over the parchment and illuminate with a bioluminescent tail!" "Agrippa!" Katherine says. She sees him still curled up in a ball and whimpering and facepalms, "Nevermind, I got it." She grabs the painting, the lamp, and the tail. First, she pours the mist over the painting. Then, she raises the tail high over the unfinished picture, letting its light wash over the canvas. Alice joins her and reads the words on the painting out loud. "[i]Curiosity killed the cat Inside the box, the evils growl She lifts the lid where it lays flat Malicious poisons are unleashed Infecting all of Sornieth's clans On hopes and dreams they feast and feast She weeps into her open hands Why did she do it?-[/i] Huh, there's no more." Katherine points at the edge of the painting, "Look, blood. An unfinished prophecy? I wonder what happened to the writer... Probably nothing good." The dragons look pointedly at the dark spot in the corner of the painting. "May they rest in peace," She glances over at Agrippa, "Well, might as well hit submit. I'm gonna go make sure his Macbeth withdrawal goes okay."

22606393_350.png

"No-Yes, I understand. I'll send you screenshots. Please take care of things over there."

23090491_350.png

"What did Fortinbras say?"

52199596_350.png

"Is Macbeth ok?"

Kathering sighs, "Something's happened back at home base. Everyone's beens scrambling around trying to fix it. Something about Pandora's box? Anyways, Macbeth hasn't been spotted since you two left. I'm sure your boyfriend is fine though. Agrippa?"

The nocturne has curled up into a ball. He looks up at Katherine with wide eyes, "You'll help me find Macbeth when we're done here, right?"

Katherine sighs, "Yes, Agrippa. Anyways, back to the artifacts. I'm completely stumped."

"Me too," Alice says. She's playing around with the journeyman's satchels, opening and closing pockets. A scroll of parchment falls out.

"Oh! What's this?" Alice picks up the parchment and reads it, "Instructions on how to make and read invisible ink! Oh, ok... None of the ingredients are in the artifacts pile."

"What about how to read it?" Katherine asks, holding her breath.

"Oh! It says... Pour Vulpine lamp mist over the parchment and illuminate with a bioluminescent tail!"

"Agrippa!" Katherine says. She sees him still curled up in a ball and whimpering and facepalms, "Nevermind, I got it."

She grabs the painting, the lamp, and the tail. First, she pours the mist over the painting. Then, she raises the tail high over the unfinished picture, letting its light wash over the canvas. Alice joins her and reads the words on the painting out loud.

"Curiosity killed the cat
Inside the box, the evils growl
She lifts the lid where it lays flat
Malicious poisons are unleashed

Infecting all of Sornieth's clans
On hopes and dreams they feast and feast
She weeps into her open hands
Why did she do it?-

Huh, there's no more."

Katherine points at the edge of the painting, "Look, blood. An unfinished prophecy? I wonder what happened to the writer... Probably nothing good." The dragons look pointedly at the dark spot in the corner of the painting.

"May they rest in peace," She glances over at Agrippa, "Well, might as well hit submit. I'm gonna go make sure his Macbeth withdrawal goes okay."
1WhYQHt.png
Day Thirteen: What a catch!

Amber waited for the other dragon to finish before looking at the box. She hesitated, pulling it to herself without opening it. "Is this... goodbye then? Are you leaving with the others, too? It all happened somehow very fast..."

The Nocturne lowered her gaze. "I'll miss this place, too. But, I'm glad I came to see it! I feel... I feel like I learned something new, both about myself and about this place by coming. So, how about we give it a proper farewell, eh? The only way that it matters - by making something wonderful out of these!" She looked into the box, inspecting its contents. "...um", she said, in a while.

"Well this is a mess. Alright, never fear, your local courier is here! P-please don't laugh! It's my motto! Er- look, how about we focus on this here net, yeah?"

Amber held up the object in question. "It seems to be a fisherman's net, ready for use. Then, the twitchy tail must be bait! It moves, it glows a little, it's worm-shaped... Some freaky fish must be into that, I'm sure. The satchels must have been for keeping those in. That leaves the picture and... This."

The Nocturne used a talon to knock lightly on the lamp with. From within, a light cackle could be heard. A puff of purple smoke came out of the object, but nothing more. The dragon sighed. "Haunted objects like this aren't that uncommon to find, especially during the shorter days of the year. I'm thinking whatever humble fisherman pulled this one out of the sea in its net must have been shocked! I bet he brought it here immediately - hence the nets and everything else being brought in, too. I suppose he wanted to show it to the dragons of the workshop!"

Amber looked at the half-finished painting. "About this one, I have two suggestions: either this picture is entirely unrelated to the rest and was found close to them by chance - possibly being unfinished due to the painter being disrupted mid-work by whatever made the Workshop so suddenly abandoned - or the lamp was thought an art object by the fisherman so he brought it to the nearest art specialist - a painter of the workshop. That is how it must have ended up here!"

She looked at the objects one more time before putting them back into the box. "I feel as if there should be a better explanation, but hopefully I managed to honour the Workshop in its own way with this. And now I suppose I better be on my way, right...?" There was a sad edge to her words. "Say", she said, perking up, "would you think it a good idea to try and keep in touch somehow? You know, in case you find something neat you'd like to discuss again... Or anything, really... You know what, forget I said a thing. I-I'll really be going, then. Right? Bye."

Fidgeting, the Nocturne pushed the box back towards Cora, then pulled herself off the ground and flapped towards the escape. "But! If you, um, decide to come see our part of the city, or my dad and the healers, or, well, me, I'll give you a tour of the Lair! That's a promise!"

With that, she flew away, bumping into a dragon only ... Twice- ouch. Three time.
Day Thirteen: What a catch!

Amber waited for the other dragon to finish before looking at the box. She hesitated, pulling it to herself without opening it. "Is this... goodbye then? Are you leaving with the others, too? It all happened somehow very fast..."

The Nocturne lowered her gaze. "I'll miss this place, too. But, I'm glad I came to see it! I feel... I feel like I learned something new, both about myself and about this place by coming. So, how about we give it a proper farewell, eh? The only way that it matters - by making something wonderful out of these!" She looked into the box, inspecting its contents. "...um", she said, in a while.

"Well this is a mess. Alright, never fear, your local courier is here! P-please don't laugh! It's my motto! Er- look, how about we focus on this here net, yeah?"

Amber held up the object in question. "It seems to be a fisherman's net, ready for use. Then, the twitchy tail must be bait! It moves, it glows a little, it's worm-shaped... Some freaky fish must be into that, I'm sure. The satchels must have been for keeping those in. That leaves the picture and... This."

The Nocturne used a talon to knock lightly on the lamp with. From within, a light cackle could be heard. A puff of purple smoke came out of the object, but nothing more. The dragon sighed. "Haunted objects like this aren't that uncommon to find, especially during the shorter days of the year. I'm thinking whatever humble fisherman pulled this one out of the sea in its net must have been shocked! I bet he brought it here immediately - hence the nets and everything else being brought in, too. I suppose he wanted to show it to the dragons of the workshop!"

Amber looked at the half-finished painting. "About this one, I have two suggestions: either this picture is entirely unrelated to the rest and was found close to them by chance - possibly being unfinished due to the painter being disrupted mid-work by whatever made the Workshop so suddenly abandoned - or the lamp was thought an art object by the fisherman so he brought it to the nearest art specialist - a painter of the workshop. That is how it must have ended up here!"

She looked at the objects one more time before putting them back into the box. "I feel as if there should be a better explanation, but hopefully I managed to honour the Workshop in its own way with this. And now I suppose I better be on my way, right...?" There was a sad edge to her words. "Say", she said, perking up, "would you think it a good idea to try and keep in touch somehow? You know, in case you find something neat you'd like to discuss again... Or anything, really... You know what, forget I said a thing. I-I'll really be going, then. Right? Bye."

Fidgeting, the Nocturne pushed the box back towards Cora, then pulled herself off the ground and flapped towards the escape. "But! If you, um, decide to come see our part of the city, or my dad and the healers, or, well, me, I'll give you a tour of the Lair! That's a promise!"

With that, she flew away, bumping into a dragon only ... Twice- ouch. Three time.
tLqgaTW.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51666974] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/516670/51666974_350.png[/img] [/url] The place changed over the past days. Vona felt guilty for not being there for two days - pushing her thoughts aside as she entered the workshop. Soon the building would be empty. She would return to Sol Auri and... And what? Vona walked over to the table, looking at the objects, greeting Cora with a bright smile. "I think", she started, "The bioluminescent tail was used as paint! Cut open and... Well... Not this one, it seems to be intact." She poked it, screamed when it moved, laughing in the next moment, obvisiously uncomfortable, though. "I did expect this, it's still..." Shaking her head with an repellant gesture towards the twitching tail, Vona grabbed the Vulpine lamp, holding it near the painting. Flapping her wings in exitement she looked up to the Imperial. "Take a look! You can only see those patterns in the light of the lamp... it looks exactly like the net." Tilting her head she huffed. "The net pattern could be a metaphor. The unfinished painting is.. beautiful?" She sounded unsure, searching for a reaction in Coras face, but soon paying attention to the object again. "But if you see those lines, it seems to be caught behind the fishnet pattern." She placed the lamp on the table with a small huff. Vona really wasn't much into those kind of things, but somehow this unfinished piece made her feel... somewhat insecure. "Artists are weird... aren't they?" (reread this tomorrow and editing before rollover... it's late over here and I'm too tired to write in english atm...)

51666974_350.png

The place changed over the past days.
Vona felt guilty for not being there for two days - pushing her thoughts aside as she entered the workshop.
Soon the building would be empty. She would return to Sol Auri and...
And what?

Vona walked over to the table, looking at the objects, greeting Cora with a bright smile.
"I think", she started, "The bioluminescent tail was used as paint! Cut open and... Well... Not this one, it seems to be intact." She poked it, screamed when it moved, laughing in the next moment, obvisiously uncomfortable, though.
"I did expect this, it's still..." Shaking her head with an repellant gesture towards the twitching tail, Vona grabbed the Vulpine lamp, holding it near the painting.
Flapping her wings in exitement she looked up to the Imperial.
"Take a look! You can only see those patterns in the light of the lamp... it looks exactly like the net." Tilting her head she huffed.
"The net pattern could be a metaphor. The unfinished painting is.. beautiful?" She sounded unsure, searching for a reaction in Coras face, but soon paying attention to the object again.
"But if you see those lines, it seems to be caught behind the fishnet pattern." She placed the lamp on the table with a small huff.
Vona really wasn't much into those kind of things, but somehow this unfinished piece made her feel... somewhat insecure.
"Artists are weird... aren't they?"

(reread this tomorrow and editing before rollover... it's late over here and I'm too tired to write in english atm...)
[center][font=Georgia][size=7][color=#613F3D]Wi[/color][color=#57372D]nne[/color][color=#2F1F1B]rs[/color][/font][/center] [center][b]June 27[/b] @Quietgal is our merit winner today! @Wonderlast and @RemanLT are our daily raffle winners for today! Congratulations everybody![/center] [quote][center] View Quietgal's entry [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2703809/11#post_39588462]here![/url] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/136979/13697861_350.png[/img] Cora looks up at the flying volume, a considerable amount of thought on her features. "Imagine that." She finally says, leveling her gaze back to Amber. "I wonder - Do you think we could use the prototype today? I know such inventions are already actively being worked on in Sornieth, but this might...well, work." There was a tinge of excitement to her voice, and this sounded like an invention she couldn't wait to get to the outside world. "It's a selfless pursuit, which...for all I know about her, I imagine matches Athena. I know she was someone who wanted to share what she invented with the world, make it better." Then, Cora smiled at Amber. "I hope you know that's what you're doing too - Helping to make things better. Here, take this for your help." Cora was secretly proud to have seen the courier go from nervous to confidently suggesting inventions, and hoped the nocturne knew. [/center] [center][item=Gilded Decorative Chest][/center][/quote] [size=2]@Arkanjel @BlackwatchGenji @lilystar6 @Juri01 @Snek @quietgal @Alastriona1 @Saraceaser @Pufferheart @Starsoul @rainenchanter @Harana @ghostlyplants @HelianthusNox @RemanLT @artimator @GuardianDragonak @KingOfCamelot @Rivertyl [/size] This is the prompt for June 29th. Note that [b]submissions for the June 28th prompt are still open[/b] until rollover! This posting however, also opens up the June 29th prompt to anyone who is interested in participating in it. [quote][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/f5ccb032736d73ae8df37af82ab161d1/tumblr_inline_nswmwe0q2G1qiwi8o_500.gif[/img][color=transparent]--[/color][b]Day Thirteen[/b] [center]It seems the swarms of archeologists have been replaced by their counterparts within the workshop and camp now; Conservators, archivists and museum curators alike wander around the ancient ruin with their materials on hand, doing immediate work where they can and planning to take things to their clan for later. The crates that had been stacking high in the workshop are dwindling, now. There's only a few left. The revelries in the camp city seem to have been dying down, too. With Brightshine coming to a close, so too is the adventure. Even the medical tent is gone, which you suppose is a good thing, meaning those inside are alright. When you spot Cora, she's sitting at a table near the back of the foyer. She's talking to some of her peers, and looks the most comfortable she's looked these past two weeks. You suppose it makes sense - These are [i]her[/i] dragons, not the archeologists. She laughs freely as she scribbles on the parchment in front of her, a few smaller chests surrounding her. [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/136979/13697861_350.png[/img] You approach slowly, and when she looks up, she excuses herself to the group surrounding her, but they don't immediately dissipate like the archeologists had done. That makes sense too, you guess. They have no reason to go sprinting into the ruins - They're here to pick up what the archeologists got from doing that. Cora leans forward over the table. "This is one of the volunteers I was telling you about," Cora turns slightly to the group, gesturing to you, then turns back. "I was talking about what a great help you've been. But I guess you're still here to help, right?" Her purple eyes glimmer warmly. You wonder briefly how an arcane dragon's life could have gone to end up as an archivist for a light clan, in the Hewn City. "You can probably tell - We're mostly cleared out by now. It's just my kind left, cleaning up the mess the archeologists left behind." She laughs. "But we still have some stuff for you to check out." She pushes forward a chest. "Take a look inside here. Tell us what you think." [item=rusted crown][item=antique oil lamp][item=sublime peacock][item=lion's wing fans][item=silk spool][/center][/quote] [size=2]@Arkanjel @BlackwatchGenji @lilystar6 @Juri01 @Snek @mewCoyote @quietgal @Alastriona1 @Saraceaser @Pufferheart @Starsoul @rainenchanter @MandragoraAutumn @nostalgicgalaxy @Tempter @Harana @ghostlyplants @HelianthusNox @RemanLT @Wonderlast @artimator @GuardianDragonak @Lundlaeva @NStar @KingOfCamelot @Rivertyl[/size]
Winners
June 27

@Quietgal is our merit winner today! @Wonderlast and @RemanLT are our daily raffle winners for today! Congratulations everybody!
Quote:
View Quietgal's entry here!

13697861_350.png

Cora looks up at the flying volume, a considerable amount of thought on her features. "Imagine that." She finally says, leveling her gaze back to Amber. "I wonder - Do you think we could use the prototype today? I know such inventions are already actively being worked on in Sornieth, but this might...well, work."

There was a tinge of excitement to her voice, and this sounded like an invention she couldn't wait to get to the outside world. "It's a selfless pursuit, which...for all I know about her, I imagine matches Athena. I know she was someone who wanted to share what she invented with the world, make it better."

Then, Cora smiled at Amber. "I hope you know that's what you're doing too - Helping to make things better. Here, take this for your help." Cora was secretly proud to have seen the courier go from nervous to confidently suggesting inventions, and hoped the nocturne knew.
Gilded Decorative Chest

@Arkanjel @BlackwatchGenji @lilystar6 @Juri01 @Snek @quietgal @Alastriona1 @Saraceaser @Pufferheart @Starsoul @rainenchanter @Harana @ghostlyplants @HelianthusNox @RemanLT @artimator @GuardianDragonak @KingOfCamelot @Rivertyl

This is the prompt for June 29th. Note that submissions for the June 28th prompt are still open until rollover! This posting however, also opens up the June 29th prompt to anyone who is interested in participating in it.

Quote:
tumblr_inline_nswmwe0q2G1qiwi8o_500.gif--Day Thirteen
It seems the swarms of archeologists have been replaced by their counterparts within the workshop and camp now; Conservators, archivists and museum curators alike wander around the ancient ruin with their materials on hand, doing immediate work where they can and planning to take things to their clan for later. The crates that had been stacking high in the workshop are dwindling, now. There's only a few left. The revelries in the camp city seem to have been dying down, too. With Brightshine coming to a close, so too is the adventure. Even the medical tent is gone, which you suppose is a good thing, meaning those inside are alright.

When you spot Cora, she's sitting at a table near the back of the foyer. She's talking to some of her peers, and looks the most comfortable she's looked these past two weeks. You suppose it makes sense - These are her dragons, not the archeologists. She laughs freely as she scribbles on the parchment in front of her, a few smaller chests surrounding her.

13697861_350.png

You approach slowly, and when she looks up, she excuses herself to the group surrounding her, but they don't immediately dissipate like the archeologists had done. That makes sense too, you guess. They have no reason to go sprinting into the ruins - They're here to pick up what the archeologists got from doing that. Cora leans forward over the table.

"This is one of the volunteers I was telling you about," Cora turns slightly to the group, gesturing to you, then turns back. "I was talking about what a great help you've been. But I guess you're still here to help, right?" Her purple eyes glimmer warmly. You wonder briefly how an arcane dragon's life could have gone to end up as an archivist for a light clan, in the Hewn City.

"You can probably tell - We're mostly cleared out by now. It's just my kind left, cleaning up the mess the archeologists left behind." She laughs. "But we still have some stuff for you to check out."

She pushes forward a chest. "Take a look inside here. Tell us what you think."

Rusted Crown Antique Oil Lamp Sublime Peacock Lion's Wing Fans Silk Spool

@Arkanjel @BlackwatchGenji @lilystar6 @Juri01 @Snek @mewCoyote @quietgal @Alastriona1 @Saraceaser @Pufferheart @Starsoul @rainenchanter @MandragoraAutumn @nostalgicgalaxy @Tempter @Harana @ghostlyplants @HelianthusNox @RemanLT @Wonderlast @artimator @GuardianDragonak @Lundlaeva @NStar @KingOfCamelot @Rivertyl
je67dzK.gif ...
Val + she/her + fr+3
talk to me about hozier

7zrgo5F.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=22606393] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/226064/22606393_350.png[/img] [/url] "Wow, I can't believe it's the last day. This has been an experience." [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23090491] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/230905/23090491_350.png[/img] [/url] "Yea! I totally should have done this last time with you and the others." Katherine chuckled, "Oh, Alice, you don't know how much of a disaster the last one was..." [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52199596] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/521996/52199596_350.png[/img] [/url] "Macbeth..." "Alright, Agrippa, one mor ething and then we'll go look for you boyfriend, okay?" Katherine says soothingly. "Best friend. And... Okay." Alice peruses the various items and smiles to herself. Katherine sees Alice's smile and sighs. Well, at least they've won twice. She'll let Alice have some fun for the last round. "You want to tell a story, don't you?" "Yea! You know, bookends. Everything comes full circle." Katherine tugs at Agrippa, pulling him from his fetal position over to where Alice stood with the items. They sat and looked at her with rapt attention. [columns] [item=silk spool] [nextcol] "There once was a tailor who was in love with her country's king. Every day, she would walk by the palace gates, hoping to get a glimpse of her beloved as he went about the castle grounds. The king didn't even know she existed. [nextcol] [item=rusted crown][/columns] "The king was in want of a wife, but he was an adventurous man, who didn't want to be tied down in the capital by a doting family. He wanted to see the world, to experience as much as possible. He wanted a wife who would be willing to explore the ends of the earth with him, who would not shrink in the face of danger, who would be his partner in both life and crime. "He gave out a verdict, 'In a week, whoever can bring me the most unique and exotic treasure she can find will become my wife.' "The tailor was ecstatic. However, there was a small problem. She was a meek little thing, who has never even seen the countryside beyond the capital's walls. How on earth was she supposed to procure something exotic? "A friend of hers, a hunter from the east, would often talk to the tailor about his experiences before he came to her kingdom. So she went to him, asking him to describe, in detail, the most special thing his country had to offer. [columns] [item=lion's wing fans] [nextcol]"The hunter, at a loss for word, described a simple, mundane hand fan, like the one his mother and sister would use to keep themselves cool in the summer months. Still, the tailor scribbled down every detail with zealous fervor. She thanked the hunter, and hurried home, constructing a fan with the exact specifications and detail that the hunter spoke of.[/columns] "Satisfied with her work, the tailor waited until the week was up and hurried to present her gift to the king. She waited in a line, and watched as other hopefuls were turned away by the king. At last, it was her turn. "She walked into the resplendant hall, the fan behind her back. The king, the object of her affections, sat regally on his throne, resplendant. He smiled at her, and it was more beautiful than the tailor could ever imagine in her dreams. "'So far, no one has been able to best this gift that has been brought before me. Do you think you can?' [columns] "The king gestured to his right. So enamored with her love that the tailor did not notice the other figure beside the king. It was her friend, the hunter, holding a beautiful peacock in his arms, its feathers not green, but a resplendant shade of burnt gold. He smiled sheepishly at her. [nextcol] [item=sublime peacock][/columns] "The tailor could not speak. All she could do was present her gift to the king. It felt like an eternity, the king's gaze on the fan in her palm. Finally, he shook his head and motioned for her to leave. [columns] [item=antique oil lamp] [nextcol] "The tailor rushed out of the palace, tears stinging her eyes. She ran to her room and closed the door with a loud thud. In her haste, she has knocked over an oil lamp, but she didn't notice. She still didn't notice, through her tears, as the flames begane to lick at her hair and her clothes. She was probably still crying as the flames consumed her house, then the next, then the next.[/columns] "The city was reduced to ashes. No one knew if the king lived or died, just that he was gone. Some say he perished, trying to save his people from the flames, while others say he took the opportunity to escape the confines of the throne, unnoticed, to explore a distant eastern land with his new lover."

22606393_350.png

"Wow, I can't believe it's the last day. This has been an experience."

23090491_350.png

"Yea! I totally should have done this last time with you and the others."

Katherine chuckled, "Oh, Alice, you don't know how much of a disaster the last one was..."

52199596_350.png

"Macbeth..."

"Alright, Agrippa, one mor ething and then we'll go look for you boyfriend, okay?" Katherine says soothingly.

"Best friend. And... Okay."

Alice peruses the various items and smiles to herself. Katherine sees Alice's smile and sighs. Well, at least they've won twice. She'll let Alice have some fun for the last round.

"You want to tell a story, don't you?"

"Yea! You know, bookends. Everything comes full circle."

Katherine tugs at Agrippa, pulling him from his fetal position over to where Alice stood with the items. They sat and looked at her with rapt attention.
Silk Spool "There once was a tailor who was in love with her country's king. Every day, she would walk by the palace gates, hoping to get a glimpse of her beloved as he went about the castle grounds. The king didn't even know she existed. Rusted Crown
"The king was in want of a wife, but he was an adventurous man, who didn't want to be tied down in the capital by a doting family. He wanted to see the world, to experience as much as possible. He wanted a wife who would be willing to explore the ends of the earth with him, who would not shrink in the face of danger, who would be his partner in both life and crime.

"He gave out a verdict, 'In a week, whoever can bring me the most unique and exotic treasure she can find will become my wife.'

"The tailor was ecstatic. However, there was a small problem. She was a meek little thing, who has never even seen the countryside beyond the capital's walls. How on earth was she supposed to procure something exotic?

"A friend of hers, a hunter from the east, would often talk to the tailor about his experiences before he came to her kingdom. So she went to him, asking him to describe, in detail, the most special thing his country had to offer.
Lion's Wing Fans "The hunter, at a loss for word, described a simple, mundane hand fan, like the one his mother and sister would use to keep themselves cool in the summer months. Still, the tailor scribbled down every detail with zealous fervor. She thanked the hunter, and hurried home, constructing a fan with the exact specifications and detail that the hunter spoke of.

"Satisfied with her work, the tailor waited until the week was up and hurried to present her gift to the king. She waited in a line, and watched as other hopefuls were turned away by the king. At last, it was her turn.

"She walked into the resplendant hall, the fan behind her back. The king, the object of her affections, sat regally on his throne, resplendant. He smiled at her, and it was more beautiful than the tailor could ever imagine in her dreams.

"'So far, no one has been able to best this gift that has been brought before me. Do you think you can?'
"The king gestured to his right. So enamored with her love that the tailor did not notice the other figure beside the king. It was her friend, the hunter, holding a beautiful peacock in his arms, its feathers not green, but a resplendant shade of burnt gold. He smiled sheepishly at her. Sublime Peacock

"The tailor could not speak. All she could do was present her gift to the king. It felt like an eternity, the king's gaze on the fan in her palm. Finally, he shook his head and motioned for her to leave.
Antique Oil Lamp "The tailor rushed out of the palace, tears stinging her eyes. She ran to her room and closed the door with a loud thud. In her haste, she has knocked over an oil lamp, but she didn't notice. She still didn't notice, through her tears, as the flames begane to lick at her hair and her clothes. She was probably still crying as the flames consumed her house, then the next, then the next.

"The city was reduced to ashes. No one knew if the king lived or died, just that he was gone. Some say he perished, trying to save his people from the flames, while others say he took the opportunity to escape the confines of the throne, unnoticed, to explore a distant eastern land with his new lover."
1WhYQHt.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14302719] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/143028/14302719_350.png[/img] [/url] The festival was nearly over. The rest of Clan Twinstar was packing up their things and getting ready to head back home. But before they left, Cerulean decided he wanted to take one last peek at the workshop. After this trip, he likely wouldn't get another chance. By now, the archaeologists were mostly gone, as were most of the artifacts they had found. From what Cerulean could overhear, they were being sent off to other lairs all around the world. Figuring perhaps he should try to get a few things for his clan to study, the Imperial moved towards the center of the group, where Cora was quick to greet him. "It sounds like quite a few of my clan have been of some help to you, actually," Cerulean said to her. "If you have anything more for me to look at, of course, I'd be happy to aid you one last time." Sure enough, Cora had set out one last set of items for the Imperial to study. These were some of the most extravagant Cerulean had seen coming out of the workshop, and it didn't take him long to come up with a guess. "These seem to be the regalia of a king," Cerulean said. "But not an actual king, I don't think. The lamp... that seems to be more symbolic than anything else. Ceremonial. For a ritual to bring the light back to this world, perhaps. See how everything glitters so much? Any dragon wearing these would shine like the sun. So these must all have been for a ritual to bring light back to the world. That's my guess." Cerulean stepped back and adjusted his glasses. "I hope I've been of some help to you?" he asked Cora. "I'm no archaeologist, as I've said, but I do enjoy studying the ancient history of dragonkind. If you ever needed my or my clan's help again, you need only ask. "Though speaking of archaeologists... I don't suppose anyone here has seen my clan's archaeologist, Treble? She's been missing for over a week now, and we're hoping to find her before we head back home. I do hope she hasn't gotten herself stuck in some ruin somewhere."

14302719_350.png

The festival was nearly over. The rest of Clan Twinstar was packing up their things and getting ready to head back home. But before they left, Cerulean decided he wanted to take one last peek at the workshop. After this trip, he likely wouldn't get another chance.

By now, the archaeologists were mostly gone, as were most of the artifacts they had found. From what Cerulean could overhear, they were being sent off to other lairs all around the world. Figuring perhaps he should try to get a few things for his clan to study, the Imperial moved towards the center of the group, where Cora was quick to greet him.

"It sounds like quite a few of my clan have been of some help to you, actually," Cerulean said to her. "If you have anything more for me to look at, of course, I'd be happy to aid you one last time."

Sure enough, Cora had set out one last set of items for the Imperial to study. These were some of the most extravagant Cerulean had seen coming out of the workshop, and it didn't take him long to come up with a guess.

"These seem to be the regalia of a king," Cerulean said. "But not an actual king, I don't think. The lamp... that seems to be more symbolic than anything else. Ceremonial. For a ritual to bring the light back to this world, perhaps. See how everything glitters so much? Any dragon wearing these would shine like the sun. So these must all have been for a ritual to bring light back to the world. That's my guess."

Cerulean stepped back and adjusted his glasses. "I hope I've been of some help to you?" he asked Cora. "I'm no archaeologist, as I've said, but I do enjoy studying the ancient history of dragonkind. If you ever needed my or my clan's help again, you need only ask.

"Though speaking of archaeologists... I don't suppose anyone here has seen my clan's archaeologist, Treble? She's been missing for over a week now, and we're hoping to find her before we head back home. I do hope she hasn't gotten herself stuck in some ruin somewhere."
xpP2XdL.png
Day Fourteen: Sweet dreams

Amber takes a deep breath, eyes widening at the sight of the crowd, head retracting involuntary into her shoulders - and then she releases it in a shaky sigh. She perks up, moving her gaze at the dragons gathered around Cora's desk. There is an uncertain smile to her as she does, until she finally lets her gaze rest on Cora herself.

The smile is definitely genuine now. "Hello to all", Amber says. "In all honesty, I think I've mostly been 'entertained', but I'll take 'helpful', too." She looks eagerly at the chest that's being pushed towards her. "Oh, so there's one more mystery to play around with? I thought all of these were packed and done already. I may, right?"

She pulls the objects out, one by one - a small crown, a lamp, the ancient remains of what used to be a bird once, but now was only a beak and two handfuls of colourful feathers... A spool of silk spool. Painted ricepaper fans, with pictures of birds and flower gardens. The Nocturne studies them carefully, admiring the craftsmanship.

"I'm not entirely sure", she starts, "So may I simply tell you what I would make out of these, if I had to use them as parts? I'd make a picture light. I know what I said most likely means nothing right now, so allow me to explain-"

She cleans some space for herself on the table, then places the lamp in its middle. "A picture light is one that casts shadows which form shapes and thus can be used to tell simple stories... They make for good night lamps for skittish hatchlings and whimsical adults. The centerpiece of a picture light is, of course, a light source of choice. Here we can use this oil lamp!"

The Nocturne pulls the feathers and the fans closer, holding one of the latter to demonstrate its design. "Fans like these are usually made of a more or less rectangular piece of fabric or paper, folded and glued to the wooden... stick things? Right, nevermind. Rice paper has the benefit of being see-through when not coloured thickly. This one has flowers on it, but if we were to paint on it, say, a little bunny jumping... And we were to take the paper out of this fan, smoothening it back into a cylinder..."

She places one of the fans in front of the lamp as she speaks. It casts a shadow of a flower, distorted and big but readable, on the wall behind. "If you put the cylinder around the lamp and rotated the paper slowly, with the proper drawing skills you'd be able to make the bunny appears to move - jump, for example." She pulls out a handful of feathers, holding them in front of the paper. The shadow it cast is much thicker, resembling a... Cloud? A bush? The end result is almost 3-d.

"If we have a bunny, this would be bushes. If it were a bird - clouds ...", Amber explains. "It jumps in and out, in and out. And the string and the crown? For support. See, paper is flimsy. If you had some sort of support then it would be better. Like, say, a metal ring to go at the bottom, pressing the paper to the bottom of the lamp and holding the paper upwards! This one is simply ornate, looking like a crown. Similarly, you can string elements together with the string and to the crown, so when you twist the paper by its metal ring base, the rest moves, too! Opening and closing, opening and closing, these feathers will look like wind moving though a bush... Or make it sturdier, this is still only paper segments, after all..."

Amber looks at the rest of the dragons. "Am I doing a well-enough job of describing? Well, imagine twisting the crown base and having a mechanism that moves, showing a simple scene unfold, with 'bushes' moving in the wind, etc? It would look great. Put it on top of a music box - of those circling ones- would be even better! Then it will play and boom! Incredible. "

In the end, she nods to Cora, calmly. "My offer from yesterday still stands, if you want to take it. To all of you, rather - if you come visit my home, you'll be treated well. That's a promise."

(Edit: typos :( )
Day Fourteen: Sweet dreams

Amber takes a deep breath, eyes widening at the sight of the crowd, head retracting involuntary into her shoulders - and then she releases it in a shaky sigh. She perks up, moving her gaze at the dragons gathered around Cora's desk. There is an uncertain smile to her as she does, until she finally lets her gaze rest on Cora herself.

The smile is definitely genuine now. "Hello to all", Amber says. "In all honesty, I think I've mostly been 'entertained', but I'll take 'helpful', too." She looks eagerly at the chest that's being pushed towards her. "Oh, so there's one more mystery to play around with? I thought all of these were packed and done already. I may, right?"

She pulls the objects out, one by one - a small crown, a lamp, the ancient remains of what used to be a bird once, but now was only a beak and two handfuls of colourful feathers... A spool of silk spool. Painted ricepaper fans, with pictures of birds and flower gardens. The Nocturne studies them carefully, admiring the craftsmanship.

"I'm not entirely sure", she starts, "So may I simply tell you what I would make out of these, if I had to use them as parts? I'd make a picture light. I know what I said most likely means nothing right now, so allow me to explain-"

She cleans some space for herself on the table, then places the lamp in its middle. "A picture light is one that casts shadows which form shapes and thus can be used to tell simple stories... They make for good night lamps for skittish hatchlings and whimsical adults. The centerpiece of a picture light is, of course, a light source of choice. Here we can use this oil lamp!"

The Nocturne pulls the feathers and the fans closer, holding one of the latter to demonstrate its design. "Fans like these are usually made of a more or less rectangular piece of fabric or paper, folded and glued to the wooden... stick things? Right, nevermind. Rice paper has the benefit of being see-through when not coloured thickly. This one has flowers on it, but if we were to paint on it, say, a little bunny jumping... And we were to take the paper out of this fan, smoothening it back into a cylinder..."

She places one of the fans in front of the lamp as she speaks. It casts a shadow of a flower, distorted and big but readable, on the wall behind. "If you put the cylinder around the lamp and rotated the paper slowly, with the proper drawing skills you'd be able to make the bunny appears to move - jump, for example." She pulls out a handful of feathers, holding them in front of the paper. The shadow it cast is much thicker, resembling a... Cloud? A bush? The end result is almost 3-d.

"If we have a bunny, this would be bushes. If it were a bird - clouds ...", Amber explains. "It jumps in and out, in and out. And the string and the crown? For support. See, paper is flimsy. If you had some sort of support then it would be better. Like, say, a metal ring to go at the bottom, pressing the paper to the bottom of the lamp and holding the paper upwards! This one is simply ornate, looking like a crown. Similarly, you can string elements together with the string and to the crown, so when you twist the paper by its metal ring base, the rest moves, too! Opening and closing, opening and closing, these feathers will look like wind moving though a bush... Or make it sturdier, this is still only paper segments, after all..."

Amber looks at the rest of the dragons. "Am I doing a well-enough job of describing? Well, imagine twisting the crown base and having a mechanism that moves, showing a simple scene unfold, with 'bushes' moving in the wind, etc? It would look great. Put it on top of a music box - of those circling ones- would be even better! Then it will play and boom! Incredible. "

In the end, she nods to Cora, calmly. "My offer from yesterday still stands, if you want to take it. To all of you, rather - if you come visit my home, you'll be treated well. That's a promise."

(Edit: typos :( )
tLqgaTW.png
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14