Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | soulbonds. a flight rising lore story
Note: you may post here! This is about my main Clan's lore, aka the first lair tab I have. Feel free to ask any questions and give any comments, as long as they're fair and constructive! I want to improve, after all.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Prologue -- post
Chapter 1 -- in progress
OTHER STORIES
None yet, though I plan on writing a Rollocke, traditional Nuzlocke, and a Danganronpa crossover sometime soon!
STORIES TO READ
These aren't by me but they're still awesome!
Scorned Stars - a really cool story about two coatls who fall in love!
Note: you may post here! This is about my main Clan's lore, aka the first lair tab I have. Feel free to ask any questions and give any comments, as long as they're fair and constructive! I want to improve, after all.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Prologue -- post
Chapter 1 -- in progress
OTHER STORIES
None yet, though I plan on writing a Rollocke, traditional Nuzlocke, and a Danganronpa crossover sometime soon!
STORIES TO READ
These aren't by me but they're still awesome!
Scorned Stars - a really cool story about two coatls who fall in love!
soulbonds. a flight rising story ||
fightin' words lore shop ||
free writing
PROLOGUE
“Kestlokwuld!”

The young male Fae grumbled and curled up into a tighter ball. He really, really was not interested in listening to whatever his superior officer had to tell him -- or rather, yell at him -- today.

“Kest, I swear to Glademother if you don’t get your lazy butt up right now, we’re gonna have a serious problem!”

“Alright, alright, I’m coming,” Kestlokwuld finally groaned monotonously, pushing himself up out of his sap nest and flapping his wings a few times to stretch out the muscles. One would think that once you become Exalted, there’s some kind of special treatment.

That, as Kestlokwuld could and would testify, was far from the truth.

He crawled out of his low-hanging nest before fluttering up to a larger branch that connected his nest to hundreds of others. An angry Coatl sat on the branch, feather crests raised, arms crossed with obvious distress.

“You were supposed to be out hours ago,” the Coatl hissed. Kestlokwuld yawned and scratched at his ear. “What in the name of the gods have you been doing all this time?”

“Sleeping,” Kestlokwuld deadpanned. “I’m Exalted. It’s not like I hold any duty to anyone for anything anymore.”

“On the contrary,” growled the Coatl. He stood and waddled towards the trunk of the tree, clawing a mark into the bark with a sharp claw. “This is the ninety-ninth time you’ve failed the Gladekeeper personally, and she’s not happy about it.”

“Boo hoo,” droned Kestlokwuld. “What’s she gonna do, kill me? I’d say thank you if she did.”

“No, you fool!” The Coatl snapped. “She’s un-exalting you, you useless bag of centaur dung! You’re going back to Sornieth.”

At first, the Coatl’s words didn’t register. When they finally did, Kestlokwuld’s eyes sprung open and he looked at him in shock. “She’s doing what?!”

“You heard me, at least, I hope you did. Your task is going to be significantly more difficult if you’ve gone deaf.” The Coatl shoved a piece of paper towards Kestlokwuld, and he fumbled for it for a moment, then flipped it over to look at it. Printed on the paper was an image of a solid black Mirror and a tall human standing next to it with a hand on its neck. “These two are supposed to be founding a Clan in the Glademother’s lands. You are going to help them survive.”

“Why should I?” Kestlokwuld spat back. “Like I said, the worst anyone can do is kill me, and it’s not like I’d care even if they did.”

“Because this is bigger than you, you insolent little insect,” the Coatl said. “This Clan will impact the fate of Sornieth, so you’re going to be a part of a very important job. Honestly, I’m not sure why the Gladekeeper is doing all of this, but apparently she sees potential in you.” Clasping his paws together, the Coatl batted his eyes as he spoke, imitating the Gladekeeper. “He’s got so much potential, you see, if only he knew how to use it. Being exalted so young didn’t do him any favors, you see, so when he gets back to Sornieth and finds a human to pair with, I’m sure his instincts will kick right in, you see!”

“No way!” Kestlokwuld yelped. “No way I’m gonna leave here and go and bond with a… fleshy, squishy human! Those things are fragile, even after being in Sornieth for so long. They’re also stupid, and slow, and ugly!” Kestlokwuld shivered at his own insult, as though being ugly was the worst thing a creature could dare to be. “No way I’m gonna be making a soulbond with one of those things.”

“Every unexalted dragon has one,” the Coatl muttered. “And since you’re an unexalted dragon now, that means you’re going to have one.” He gave Kestlokwuld a toothy grin, little needle-sharp teeth made for eating fish on full display. Kestlokwuld shrank away. “Now, you’ve got an hour to pack the things you’ll need and then you’re being taken to the Scrying Pool. Once you go through, there’s no going back, so make sure you take all of your valuables.”

“I can’t believe this, this is insane,” Kestlokwuld grumbled as the Coatl shoved him towards his nest, trailing behind him closely. “A guy makes a couple of mistakes and he gets unexalted.”

“A couple?” The Coatl snorted, watching as Kestlokwuld wiggled into his nest and started to pack his valuables. “I believe I just explained that you failed the Gladekeeper ninety-nine times. You ought to be thanking her. Had it gotten to one-hundred…”

“What would’ve happened?” Kestlokwuld asked in a sassy tone, looking over his shoulder to glare at the Coatl. “I’d be dishonored or something? It’s a little too late for that.”

“Oh no, you’d simply be stripped of your magic and placed in the Outlands, that’s all,” the Coatl replied nonchalantly. “But I’m sure that’s preferable to being unexalted, now isn’t it?” The sarcasm was obvious in his voice.

“That’s preposterous,” Kestlokwuld exclaimed. “You can’t strip a dragon of their magic, we’re born with it. It’s in our DNA, it’s a part of us.”

“Oh, but you can,” the Coatl continued. “At least, a very powerful magical dragon would be able to. Someone like the Gladekeeper herself.”

“As if she’d waste her time with something so petty!” Kestlokwuld spat. “I don’t believe you, but if everyone wants me gone that badly, I’ll go. But don’t expect me to do anything for this… Clan. They can help themselves for all I care. Plenty of Clans have done it.”

"Do as you like," the Coatl snorted. "But you're not coming back until your job is well and done."

Kestlokwuld was aware that this would change his life, but certainly not in the way he was expecting. Certainly not like this. This was ludicrous on so many levels, and it was about to get even stranger.
PROLOGUE
“Kestlokwuld!”

The young male Fae grumbled and curled up into a tighter ball. He really, really was not interested in listening to whatever his superior officer had to tell him -- or rather, yell at him -- today.

“Kest, I swear to Glademother if you don’t get your lazy butt up right now, we’re gonna have a serious problem!”

“Alright, alright, I’m coming,” Kestlokwuld finally groaned monotonously, pushing himself up out of his sap nest and flapping his wings a few times to stretch out the muscles. One would think that once you become Exalted, there’s some kind of special treatment.

That, as Kestlokwuld could and would testify, was far from the truth.

He crawled out of his low-hanging nest before fluttering up to a larger branch that connected his nest to hundreds of others. An angry Coatl sat on the branch, feather crests raised, arms crossed with obvious distress.

“You were supposed to be out hours ago,” the Coatl hissed. Kestlokwuld yawned and scratched at his ear. “What in the name of the gods have you been doing all this time?”

“Sleeping,” Kestlokwuld deadpanned. “I’m Exalted. It’s not like I hold any duty to anyone for anything anymore.”

“On the contrary,” growled the Coatl. He stood and waddled towards the trunk of the tree, clawing a mark into the bark with a sharp claw. “This is the ninety-ninth time you’ve failed the Gladekeeper personally, and she’s not happy about it.”

“Boo hoo,” droned Kestlokwuld. “What’s she gonna do, kill me? I’d say thank you if she did.”

“No, you fool!” The Coatl snapped. “She’s un-exalting you, you useless bag of centaur dung! You’re going back to Sornieth.”

At first, the Coatl’s words didn’t register. When they finally did, Kestlokwuld’s eyes sprung open and he looked at him in shock. “She’s doing what?!”

“You heard me, at least, I hope you did. Your task is going to be significantly more difficult if you’ve gone deaf.” The Coatl shoved a piece of paper towards Kestlokwuld, and he fumbled for it for a moment, then flipped it over to look at it. Printed on the paper was an image of a solid black Mirror and a tall human standing next to it with a hand on its neck. “These two are supposed to be founding a Clan in the Glademother’s lands. You are going to help them survive.”

“Why should I?” Kestlokwuld spat back. “Like I said, the worst anyone can do is kill me, and it’s not like I’d care even if they did.”

“Because this is bigger than you, you insolent little insect,” the Coatl said. “This Clan will impact the fate of Sornieth, so you’re going to be a part of a very important job. Honestly, I’m not sure why the Gladekeeper is doing all of this, but apparently she sees potential in you.” Clasping his paws together, the Coatl batted his eyes as he spoke, imitating the Gladekeeper. “He’s got so much potential, you see, if only he knew how to use it. Being exalted so young didn’t do him any favors, you see, so when he gets back to Sornieth and finds a human to pair with, I’m sure his instincts will kick right in, you see!”

“No way!” Kestlokwuld yelped. “No way I’m gonna leave here and go and bond with a… fleshy, squishy human! Those things are fragile, even after being in Sornieth for so long. They’re also stupid, and slow, and ugly!” Kestlokwuld shivered at his own insult, as though being ugly was the worst thing a creature could dare to be. “No way I’m gonna be making a soulbond with one of those things.”

“Every unexalted dragon has one,” the Coatl muttered. “And since you’re an unexalted dragon now, that means you’re going to have one.” He gave Kestlokwuld a toothy grin, little needle-sharp teeth made for eating fish on full display. Kestlokwuld shrank away. “Now, you’ve got an hour to pack the things you’ll need and then you’re being taken to the Scrying Pool. Once you go through, there’s no going back, so make sure you take all of your valuables.”

“I can’t believe this, this is insane,” Kestlokwuld grumbled as the Coatl shoved him towards his nest, trailing behind him closely. “A guy makes a couple of mistakes and he gets unexalted.”

“A couple?” The Coatl snorted, watching as Kestlokwuld wiggled into his nest and started to pack his valuables. “I believe I just explained that you failed the Gladekeeper ninety-nine times. You ought to be thanking her. Had it gotten to one-hundred…”

“What would’ve happened?” Kestlokwuld asked in a sassy tone, looking over his shoulder to glare at the Coatl. “I’d be dishonored or something? It’s a little too late for that.”

“Oh no, you’d simply be stripped of your magic and placed in the Outlands, that’s all,” the Coatl replied nonchalantly. “But I’m sure that’s preferable to being unexalted, now isn’t it?” The sarcasm was obvious in his voice.

“That’s preposterous,” Kestlokwuld exclaimed. “You can’t strip a dragon of their magic, we’re born with it. It’s in our DNA, it’s a part of us.”

“Oh, but you can,” the Coatl continued. “At least, a very powerful magical dragon would be able to. Someone like the Gladekeeper herself.”

“As if she’d waste her time with something so petty!” Kestlokwuld spat. “I don’t believe you, but if everyone wants me gone that badly, I’ll go. But don’t expect me to do anything for this… Clan. They can help themselves for all I care. Plenty of Clans have done it.”

"Do as you like," the Coatl snorted. "But you're not coming back until your job is well and done."

Kestlokwuld was aware that this would change his life, but certainly not in the way he was expecting. Certainly not like this. This was ludicrous on so many levels, and it was about to get even stranger.
free writing
Aaaaaaaa it's actually very good, and I'm looking forward to chapter 1, the concept of the story I've never heard used(A dragon being inexhautled) so it's really cool! (lol side note, the gladekeeper imitation said "you see" a lot that I read it in Bill Cosbsy's voice, oop)
Aaaaaaaa it's actually very good, and I'm looking forward to chapter 1, the concept of the story I've never heard used(A dragon being inexhautled) so it's really cool! (lol side note, the gladekeeper imitation said "you see" a lot that I read it in Bill Cosbsy's voice, oop)
@DeputyU thanks so much for the review, I'm glad you liked it!
@DeputyU thanks so much for the review, I'm glad you liked it!
free writing