Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | 25 Days of Lore - LATECOMERS WELCOME
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31 32
@Pantali Aww thanks so much! Haha yeah, he is a very pure bean. Had fun fleshing out his lore a little more with this exercise! :)
@Pantali Aww thanks so much! Haha yeah, he is a very pure bean. Had fun fleshing out his lore a little more with this exercise! :)
'blue smedium banner
A flight’s celebration [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41716272] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/417163/41716272_350.png[/img] [/url] The little snapper bounded across the clan cavern, maneuvering around her clanmates quite admirably for someone so stout. This time she had only managed to trip a couple of dragons. A personal best. She would have been proud if not for an important goal consuming her mind. Each one of the flights celebrated December differently. Those arcane dragons would watch the winter comets. The ice dragons would make the best ice palaces and sculptures. Nature dragons would decorate their large tree. But the earth flight’s celebration was the best. There was no doubt in the snapper’s mind. Every year, the month of December was time to set aside differences between clanmates and prepare for the 25th. On that day, all the earth flight dragons would gather with the Earthshaker and do their best to put a smile on the sorrowful deity’s face. It was something every dragon could bond over and made for the best party of the year. Even grumpy Kimi was smiling. But this year was special. This year, Pebble was choosen to give the Earthshaker his present from all the dragons in her clan and she was going to make sure to give the best present. Ever. She was going to chase away all the sadness from the old dragon’s eyes and he will feel warmth in the cold season. But she didn’t know what to give him. None of her gems were special enough. She was sure the Earthshaker must have seen the prettiest gems already. She didn’t know what to give a dragon who couldn’t receive gems. She decided to do the first thing she thought of. she was going to visit Tuski. The imperial was old like the Earthshaker. He always had these long stories about events a long time ago. Pebble didn’t really think they were similar enough, but it was a start and she needed to make this perfect. She would not let down her clanmates or the Earthshaker. Not with something as important as the big celebration. There was no doubt this was going to be the best celebration ever. If only she could find the imperial.
A flight’s celebration

41716272_350.png

The little snapper bounded across the clan cavern, maneuvering around her clanmates quite admirably for someone so stout. This time she had only managed to trip a couple of dragons. A personal best. She would have been proud if not for an important goal consuming her mind.

Each one of the flights celebrated December differently. Those arcane dragons would watch the winter comets. The ice dragons would make the best ice palaces and sculptures. Nature dragons would decorate their large tree. But the earth flight’s celebration was the best. There was no doubt in the snapper’s mind.

Every year, the month of December was time to set aside differences between clanmates and prepare for the 25th. On that day, all the earth flight dragons would gather with the Earthshaker and do their best to put a smile on the sorrowful deity’s face. It was something every dragon could bond over and made for the best party of the year. Even grumpy Kimi was smiling.

But this year was special. This year, Pebble was choosen to give the Earthshaker his present from all the dragons in her clan and she was going to make sure to give the best present. Ever. She was going to chase away all the sadness from the old dragon’s eyes and he will feel warmth in the cold season.

But she didn’t know what to give him. None of her gems were special enough. She was sure the Earthshaker must have seen the prettiest gems already. She didn’t know what to give a dragon who couldn’t receive gems.

She decided to do the first thing she thought of. she was going to visit Tuski. The imperial was old like the Earthshaker. He always had these long stories about events a long time ago. Pebble didn’t really think they were similar enough, but it was a start and she needed to make this perfect. She would not let down her clanmates or the Earthshaker. Not with something as important as the big celebration. There was no doubt this was going to be the best celebration ever. If only she could find the imperial.
[quote] I'm so excited to be writing in this!! I should mention, neither Petall or I will be eligible for the raffle items, but we will both do our best to write anyways - for the fun of it. I have decided to use this to try and flesh out my clan lore a little more...so I will be using a random number generator (1-59; for 59 perma-dragons) to decide which dragons should be in each story, based on their lair spaces! I'll very between two or three (most common) or possibly more when needed. All my character choices are up to the rng! So let the fun begin! [/quote] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=43080300] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/430804/43080300_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=43805746] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/438058/43805746_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Wait, you've never been outside the clan?" Lukas whirled around, eyes burning into the clan curse breaker. "Like, ever?" "Well, not ever." Corrinne smiled softly. "But not since I came to Novus. It's just so perfect here. And I'm always so busy..." Shaking his head, Lukas turned to walk away. "This is ridiculous." "Are you seriously just leaving? You can't just-" "I'm not. Come on." "Come on where?" A grin spread over the wildclaw's face. "We're going flying." The two dragons made their way to the outpost, getting Lukas' travel gear together, as well as a spare set from the hub for Corrine. After a careful preparation, they got ready to leave. Corrinne turned to face Lukas, her legs trembling. "I...I can't. I can't do this. I just...I'm..." "You're what?" The explorer's face softened. "I'm...scared..." Her voice was soft, barely above a whisper. Lukas smiled. "You're scared, that's okay. But are you forgetting what you do? You're a curse breaker! That's insane! Your whole job is to fight off dark magic. A little flying can't hurt you, Rinnie, you're too powerful." She let a small smile make it's way onto her face as she glanced back up at her friend. "Are you sure?" Reaching out, Lukas took her claw in his. "I'll be right beside you the whole time. I promise." Corrinne took a deep breath, steadying her nerves before taking one more step out onto the platform. "Let's do this."
Quote:
I'm so excited to be writing in this!! I should mention, neither Petall or I will be eligible for the raffle items, but we will both do our best to write anyways - for the fun of it.

I have decided to use this to try and flesh out my clan lore a little more...so I will be using a random number generator (1-59; for 59 perma-dragons) to decide which dragons should be in each story, based on their lair spaces! I'll very between two or three (most common) or possibly more when needed. All my character choices are up to the rng! So let the fun begin!

"Wait, you've never been outside the clan?" Lukas whirled around, eyes burning into the clan curse breaker. "Like, ever?"

"Well, not ever." Corrinne smiled softly. "But not since I came to Novus. It's just so perfect here. And I'm always so busy..."

Shaking his head, Lukas turned to walk away. "This is ridiculous."

"Are you seriously just leaving? You can't just-"

"I'm not. Come on."

"Come on where?"

A grin spread over the wildclaw's face. "We're going flying."

The two dragons made their way to the outpost, getting Lukas' travel gear together, as well as a spare set from the hub for Corrine. After a careful preparation, they got ready to leave. Corrinne turned to face Lukas, her legs trembling.

"I...I can't. I can't do this. I just...I'm..."

"You're what?" The explorer's face softened.

"I'm...scared..." Her voice was soft, barely above a whisper.

Lukas smiled. "You're scared, that's okay. But are you forgetting what you do? You're a curse breaker! That's insane! Your whole job is to fight off dark magic. A little flying can't hurt you, Rinnie, you're too powerful."

She let a small smile make it's way onto her face as she glanced back up at her friend. "Are you sure?"

Reaching out, Lukas took her claw in his. "I'll be right beside you the whole time. I promise."

Corrinne took a deep breath, steadying her nerves before taking one more step out onto the platform. "Let's do this."
[center][i]The Year of Night[/i] [b]Flight[/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37538181] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/375382/37538181_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47159851] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/471599/47159851_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Come Soph, I have something to show you." Unsophylax put down the piece of jewelry she had been admiring and looked up at the snapper who had taken her under her wing and taught her everything she knew. She was growing bored of these excursions Maggie kept taking her on, but she knew better than to argue. If Maggie wanted to share her wisdom, she was going to share her wisdom. Soph followed her mentor onto the airship, hoping the wind would not muss up her feathers too much this time, and that there would be a sparkly reward for this time spent traveling. Last time Maggie had taken her out, it had taken weeks to arrive at their destination, a dusty set of ruins with only old pottery to collect. As the ship took to the skies, Soph made her way to go below deck when Maggie stopped her. "No, this is something you must see as we fly." Soph bit back her annoyed response and joined her mentor at the bow of the ship, looking out over the land below. They were now over the Sea of a Thousand Currents, the sun beginning to dip down under the horizon. Colours danced across the sky like candlelight across a bejeweled necklace. It was beautiful, she had to admit, not that she'd tell Maggie she thought so. When she glanced back at her mentor, there was an amused light in her green eyes and she realized the snapper had seen right through her. As they continued their flight, the sky grew darker and constellations began to spread out across the sky. There was nothing the shine quite like the stars, Soph mused. If she could capture the night sky in a piece of jewelry, she would have made the most beautiful object in all of Sornieth. As the last of the light faded from the the heavens, Maggie pointed at a starless patch of sky. "You see that there? That patch of darkness?" "Yes, what it is?" "It is a sign that it is coming. The Night of the Nocturne. It's power is not yet at its peak, but as the power of Earth wanes, it will grow stronger. It signals a special time in our clan. A time of great celebration and also great danger. From now on, it will be important to discuss what we can to help the clan prepare." Soph found she could not tear her eyes away from the dark abyss. She didn't even care how the wind ruffled her feathers. A time, different than the elemental celebrations that came before, not that she knew much about that, having hatched on the first day of Rockbreakers Ceremony. Perhaps this flight was worth the journey after all. [quote=Author's Note]For a bit of reference, within the canon of my lore, each festival marks the start of a new year, and occurs when that element's influence is the strongest across Sornieth (They don't have four seasons a year like we do, it's all based on elemental fluctuation) and as the year goes on, whatever comes next will gradually grow stronger and stronger, you can liken it to the cycles of the moon. Next is the Year of Night, which is Night of the Nocturne's year, and I will write my contributions as my clan prepping and during Night of the Nocturne. Also, as CleverDual said, neither she nor I are entered for the raffle, we are just writing our bit for the fun of it. I hope you are all enjoying this event so far! I know I'm enjoying reading your contributions![/quote]
The Year of Night
Flight

37538181_350.png

47159851_350.png

"Come Soph, I have something to show you."

Unsophylax put down the piece of jewelry she had been admiring and looked up at the snapper who had taken her under her wing and taught her everything she knew. She was growing bored of these excursions Maggie kept taking her on, but she knew better than to argue. If Maggie wanted to share her wisdom, she was going to share her wisdom.

Soph followed her mentor onto the airship, hoping the wind would not muss up her feathers too much this time, and that there would be a sparkly reward for this time spent traveling. Last time Maggie had taken her out, it had taken weeks to arrive at their destination, a dusty set of ruins with only old pottery to collect.

As the ship took to the skies, Soph made her way to go below deck when Maggie stopped her.

"No, this is something you must see as we fly."

Soph bit back her annoyed response and joined her mentor at the bow of the ship, looking out over the land below. They were now over the Sea of a Thousand Currents, the sun beginning to dip down under the horizon. Colours danced across the sky like candlelight across a bejeweled necklace. It was beautiful, she had to admit, not that she'd tell Maggie she thought so. When she glanced back at her mentor, there was an amused light in her green eyes and she realized the snapper had seen right through her.

As they continued their flight, the sky grew darker and constellations began to spread out across the sky. There was nothing the shine quite like the stars, Soph mused. If she could capture the night sky in a piece of jewelry, she would have made the most beautiful object in all of Sornieth.

As the last of the light faded from the the heavens, Maggie pointed at a starless patch of sky.

"You see that there? That patch of darkness?"

"Yes, what it is?"

"It is a sign that it is coming. The Night of the Nocturne. It's power is not yet at its peak, but as the power of Earth wanes, it will grow stronger. It signals a special time in our clan. A time of great celebration and also great danger. From now on, it will be important to discuss what we can to help the clan prepare."

Soph found she could not tear her eyes away from the dark abyss. She didn't even care how the wind ruffled her feathers. A time, different than the elemental celebrations that came before, not that she knew much about that, having hatched on the first day of Rockbreakers Ceremony. Perhaps this flight was worth the journey after all.

Author's Note wrote:
For a bit of reference, within the canon of my lore, each festival marks the start of a new year, and occurs when that element's influence is the strongest across Sornieth (They don't have four seasons a year like we do, it's all based on elemental fluctuation) and as the year goes on, whatever comes next will gradually grow stronger and stronger, you can liken it to the cycles of the moon. Next is the Year of Night, which is Night of the Nocturne's year, and I will write my contributions as my clan prepping and during Night of the Nocturne.

Also, as CleverDual said, neither she nor I are entered for the raffle, we are just writing our bit for the fun of it. I hope you are all enjoying this event so far! I know I'm enjoying reading your contributions!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
"Tell me about the time I almost fell to my death at the Beacon of the Radiant Eye." A small Spiral was looking up at Aqua. She was grinning mischievously from ear to ear as she spoke. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26242937] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/262430/26242937_350.png[/img] [/url] Aqua stood there for a second glaring at her with noticeable distaste. She could tell the irritable Skydancer looming over her was about to give a scolding, but she had her own tricks too. Her hands and fingers began to move, flicking, signing, and gesturing at her disposal to secretly communicate her proposition: [i]It's only the both of us here right now, and you still owe me that apology.[/i] Aqua saw the impish glint in her eye when she lowered her arms expecting a response. He decided today he was going to let up for once, just only for his colleague. His shoulders relaxed as he let out a breath of air he was keeping to yell. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=4186323] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/41864/4186323_350.png[/img] [/url] "I thought we had other business today here, Kavaki... like negotiating vital trade deals between our clans, but clearly you seem to be too preoccupied with this to be working on time. Might as well just get it out before you make matters worse." Kavaki took her sweet time bringing out a chair from behind a desk before she eventually settled herself. Aqua watched on in anguish, waiting for her to stop being such a tool. She met his steely gaze with an equally annoying smile. She leaned forward and nonchalantly said, "I'm all ears." "Well, it all started on one of our usual trips like we are now to the Light territory. Although, it was also your initiation day- a test of sorts to make sure you were actually suited to the many needs and demands of being a clan diplomat before I took you under my mentorship. We surprisingly arrived on time considering your previous *cough* [i]records.[/i] You seemed very determined to make a good impression on everyone attending the meeting, but in a strange turn of events, you ended up foolishly clinging to the crumbly ends atop the Beacon. From what I remember, you were striking up a conversation with an elder Light diplomat, albeit awkwardly. He was explaining to you that the Lightweaver would sometimes appear out of nowhere perching on the Beacon to look out to the sea. Legend said that she would leave a scroll behind each time holding secrets to the ancient draconic language. I didn't know at the time you were so invested into researching ancient draconic, so I wouldn't have known that you were dead set on scaling the tower right after talking to that old fellow. I also was never told at first you had great trouble at learning to fly for a while. I was quite in for a scare when someone pointed out a dragon holding for dear life on the Beacon's ledge. Although, it was much too late for anyone to help you. My heart almost... it..." " Oh come on, spit it out. You don't wanna admit you thought I was going to die. You're too chicken to say you'd gone soft! " Kavaki giggled. "I'm not going to acknowledge that you just said that. Where was I? Oh yes, I was describing how you managed to almost kill yourself. You were losing your grip fast, and you're arms eventually gave out, leaving you to plummet. The other dragons were calling out to you to spread your wings. I nearly had a heart attack when you were a few feet from the ground, but you miraculously caught air by fanning out your wings out at the last moment. Everyone was relieved you had survived. You acted like nothing happened the rest of the day." "Not so foolish, am I?" "I'm going to sick Geranium on you when we get back."
"Tell me about the time I almost fell to my death at the Beacon of the Radiant Eye."
A small Spiral was looking up at Aqua. She was grinning mischievously from ear to ear as she spoke.

26242937_350.png

Aqua stood there for a second glaring at her with noticeable distaste. She could tell the irritable Skydancer looming over her was about to give a scolding, but she had her own tricks too. Her hands and fingers began to move, flicking, signing, and gesturing at her disposal to secretly communicate her proposition: It's only the both of us here right now, and you still owe me that apology. Aqua saw the impish glint in her eye when she lowered her arms expecting a response. He decided today he was going to let up for once, just only for his colleague. His shoulders relaxed as he let out a breath of air he was keeping to yell.

4186323_350.png

"I thought we had other business today here, Kavaki... like negotiating vital trade deals between our clans, but clearly you seem to be too preoccupied with this to be working on time. Might as well just get it out before you make matters worse."
Kavaki took her sweet time bringing out a chair from behind a desk before she eventually settled herself. Aqua watched on in anguish, waiting for her to stop being such a tool. She met his steely gaze with an equally annoying smile. She leaned forward and nonchalantly said, "I'm all ears."

"Well, it all started on one of our usual trips like we are now to the Light territory. Although, it was also your initiation day- a test of sorts to make sure you were actually suited to the many needs and demands of being a clan diplomat before I took you under my mentorship. We surprisingly arrived on time considering your previous *cough* records. You seemed very determined to make a good impression on everyone attending the meeting, but in a strange turn of events, you ended up foolishly clinging to the crumbly ends atop the Beacon. From what I remember, you were striking up a conversation with an elder Light diplomat, albeit awkwardly. He was explaining to you that the Lightweaver would sometimes appear out of nowhere perching on the Beacon to look out to the sea. Legend said that she would leave a scroll behind each time holding secrets to the ancient draconic language. I didn't know at the time you were so invested into researching ancient draconic, so I wouldn't have known that you were dead set on scaling the tower right after talking to that old fellow. I also was never told at first you had great trouble at learning to fly for a while. I was quite in for a scare when someone pointed out a dragon holding for dear life on the Beacon's ledge. Although, it was much too late for anyone to help you. My heart almost... it..."
" Oh come on, spit it out. You don't wanna admit you thought I was going to die. You're too chicken to say you'd gone soft! " Kavaki giggled.
"I'm not going to acknowledge that you just said that. Where was I? Oh yes, I was describing how you managed to almost kill yourself. You were losing your grip fast, and you're arms eventually gave out, leaving you to plummet. The other dragons were calling out to you to spread your wings. I nearly had a heart attack when you were a few feet from the ground, but you miraculously caught air by fanning out your wings out at the last moment. Everyone was relieved you had survived. You acted like nothing happened the rest of the day."
"Not so foolish, am I?"
"I'm going to sick Geranium on you when we get back."
25762.png frame-0-delay-0-1s-1.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26208276] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/262083/26208276_350.png[/img] [/url] “You can’t catch me!” The singsong voice of a small dragon rang through the forest and across the trees behind an incessant chattering of birds. “Callista! Stop! Mama told us not to wander too far into the forest.” A second dragon wandered close behind the first, talons fidgeting as his eyes darted around the tall trees and clusters of mushrooms. “She’s not here right now Gale. She doesn’t have to know,” Callista stopped to roll her eyes. She stood atop a fallen tree, staring down at her younger brother in exasperation. “But you know the stories…” Gale’s voice was small, a murmur that disappeared into the nearby whisper of a creek. Callista sighed loudly and threw her Leader’s Stick at Gale’s head. “Ow! Hey!” “You’re just scared! Everyone knows the stories are just made up.” She turned and ran, baring her teeth in a grin. Scrambling up the loose slope, her brother ran to meet her, “Scaredy-cat!” She yelled behind a veil of ivy and lichen. “Am not! Hey come back!” In circles, the two dragons stumbled through the forest, voices sharp against muffled leaves. The forest glowed with sun slanting through the canopy of green above their heads, bathing ferns and mosses in soft yellow light. Over the awning of leaves and branches, the laughter of the two dragons floated with the birdsong as they danced deeper into the forest and farther from the path. “Callista,” Gale huffed, “Do you know the way back?” The two dragons slumped in a patch of open grass, panting heavily with broken daisy chains around their heads. “Of course I know the way back,” His sister snapped, eying the tall trunks warily. Nothing looked familiar. “It’s a bit of a walk,” She said slowly, shooting a smile at her brother. Every branch seemed the same. “A leader always knows what to do,” She insisted. She couldn’t even tell which way they had come from. “Oh. I’m glad you know because part of me thought we were very very lost,” Gale stood up, looking at her with bright eyes. There was a leaf stuck to his nose. “Yeah,” Callista’s eyes darted around the treetops. Panic was climbing into her chest, “You know what The Elder always says?” Her voice rose to keep the tremor out. A bird sat on the branch above her head, a knot of green and blue feathers warbling a tune that weaved through the leaves. “Don’t eat random things you find on the ground?” “No he—Gale. Don’t eat random things you find on the ground? Don’t do that. What’ve you been doing? Nevermind. The Elder says to follow the birds if you’re lost.” Callista flicked her tail towards the bird in the tree, shaking out her trembling feet as she turned with all the confidence she could muster, “Like that one right there.” “I’ve never heard him say that,” Gale stared at the bird. It eyed them back but didn’t stop singing. Callista shivered. This was a bad idea. “Well he did. Follow the birds and they’ll carry you home. Sound like him?” She marched forwards in the direction of the song, finding with mild satisfaction that similar birds responded to the small tune nearby. “If you say so.” “He did.” “At least they’re pretty.” “Yeah.” A melody entwined the trees and Callista spun with it, dragging her brother through sunlight and green. All her muscles ached, screamed she was going the wrong way, but there were no other paths to follow and her brain screamed louder that they were not allowed to be lost. She refused to be lost. Instead, they followed the birds and panic turned to eerie wonder as the chattering creatures grew in number, air teeming with a trilled chorus and a whirlwind of feathers. “My feet hurt.” Gale groaned. He plunked himself down next to a bush of nettles, picking at the ground with his claws. “The birds are too loud! What did you say?” Above them, a flurry of feathers tore the air. Callista couldn’t tell what was leaves and what was bird anymore above her head between the shrieking and swooping. Her eyes flitted back and forth, following the movements of a mass of talons and wings. She could feel a small flame in her chest light fire to the panic once more, but it was overrun by an overwhelming curiosity. “I don’t think this is the right way home!” “It is.” She said briskly, dark eyes wide and wandering as she stared at the cacophonous flock above her head. “I’ve been thinking? About what you said? About the elder saying—” Gale started. “You shouldn’t be here.” The birds fell silent. The words spoken came from behind the two dragons, barely above a whisper, yet they both jumped, turning slowly at the unearthly silence. Before them, perched a dragon, feathers the colour of forest and ocean draped over her massive wings with small jewels glittering off her skin in refracted sunlight. Beneath the face of a shining white bird skull, purple eyes gleamed keenly with rapt attention like the birds that the young dragons had followed all the way here. “The elder… uh… the elder told us to follow the birds…” Gale offered, gazing awestruck at the grand dragon in front of him. His words trailed into dust. “He didn’t,” Callista said abruptly. Her eyes darted anywhere other than the dragon in front of her. Everything felt like it was watching her, watching them, watching the small stammering dragons trapped under the oaks, watching and ready to leap forwards at any moment, to let go of its held breath. “But you said—” Gale looked at his sister with bewilderment, shocked to silence by everything around him. “Hush.” The great dragon silenced them, her voice still quiet and firm. The pause that followed felt as though it stretched into eternity. The only sound that brushed the treetops was the wind rustling the tops of branches; everything else drowned beneath a layer of moss and silence and not even the birds cawed. “The forest is dangerous for dragons, especially small dragons like you, not even the birds will keep you safe.” The dragon’s voice was soft, “I will lead you home; do not fear, but for one moment, listen.” The melody started in the distance. It was a small whistle, the voice of one bird drifting through the air, a lonely tune, and gradually other birds piped in reply. Before long, the entire forest was filled with a multitude chorus: thrumming caws and short chirps, deep hoots and quavering buzzes, whistling trills and warbling cries. All the sound gathered into one concordant mass, a ballad to the forest from its wings. The sun moved from its hazy afternoon until it hung low in the sky, throwing orange and purple across the clouds and casting shadows over the trees. The last measures of a song disappeared over the horizon with the light, remaining to float eerily before the night. There was a flutter of wings and the forest fell to silence once more. Callista stared at the sky, for once not daring to speak. “What was that?” Gale breathed. He was lying on his back, fiddling with a handful of wilting daisies as he basked in the memory of the song with murky eyes. “That was the Oracle of the Birds. No one knows what it’s sung for. Some say it’s a thank you to the forest, some say an omen of something to come. It can be heard for miles over the treetops and when it’s sung, it’s always before sunset.” “What do you think it is?” Callista asked, defiance returning to her voice. She squared her shoulders. “Me? I’m just a watchman, a bystander.” The dragon shrugged, gathering loose feathers in her claws. “That’s not true.” Callista demanded, defiance returning to her voice. She squared her shoulders, meeting the dragons eyes and thrashing her tail back and forth. She was terrified. “Perhaps.” The dragon paused, a smile creeping across her face from beneath her birdskull mask, “My name is Auklet, and I think it’s time I brought you two home.” Callista remembered the aching of her legs, and her drooping eyes. She looked at Gale, who slid towards the ground before perking up only to slide back down again. “Yeah, ok.” As sleep wrapped itself around the two small dragons, night slithered into the forest, creeping along the forest floor and filling the shadows beneath the leaves with darkness. Auklet carried the young dragons on her back, gliding over canopy of leaves with her jewels softly clinking along the strokes of her wings. An owl hooted in the distance. “Sleep well young ones, and be wary,” She murmured, “The song of the birds was not a happy one tonight. Remember this day well if you will, or let it fall away into the dreams of childhood,” she sighed, feeling the small dragons roll over in their sleep. She had not expected company tonight, but she never turned it away, “If ever you are lost again, you may follow the birds if you wish. They will never bring you harm and their song is always beautiful.”

26208276_350.png

“You can’t catch me!” The singsong voice of a small dragon rang through the forest and across the trees behind an incessant chattering of birds.

“Callista! Stop! Mama told us not to wander too far into the forest.” A second dragon wandered close behind the first, talons fidgeting as his eyes darted around the tall trees and clusters of mushrooms.

“She’s not here right now Gale. She doesn’t have to know,” Callista stopped to roll her eyes. She stood atop a fallen tree, staring down at her younger brother in exasperation.

“But you know the stories…” Gale’s voice was small, a murmur that disappeared into the nearby whisper of a creek. Callista sighed loudly and threw her Leader’s Stick at Gale’s head.

“Ow! Hey!”

“You’re just scared! Everyone knows the stories are just made up.” She turned and ran, baring her teeth in a grin. Scrambling up the loose slope, her brother ran to meet her, “Scaredy-cat!” She yelled behind a veil of ivy and lichen.

“Am not! Hey come back!”

In circles, the two dragons stumbled through the forest, voices sharp against muffled leaves. The forest glowed with sun slanting through the canopy of green above their heads, bathing ferns and mosses in soft yellow light. Over the awning of leaves and branches, the laughter of the two dragons floated with the birdsong as they danced deeper into the forest and farther from the path.

“Callista,” Gale huffed, “Do you know the way back?” The two dragons slumped in a patch of open grass, panting heavily with broken daisy chains around their heads.

“Of course I know the way back,” His sister snapped, eying the tall trunks warily. Nothing looked familiar. “It’s a bit of a walk,” She said slowly, shooting a smile at her brother. Every branch seemed the same. “A leader always knows what to do,” She insisted. She couldn’t even tell which way they had come from.

“Oh. I’m glad you know because part of me thought we were very very lost,” Gale stood up, looking at her with bright eyes. There was a leaf stuck to his nose.

“Yeah,” Callista’s eyes darted around the treetops. Panic was climbing into her chest, “You know what The Elder always says?” Her voice rose to keep the tremor out. A bird sat on the branch above her head, a knot of green and blue feathers warbling a tune that weaved through the leaves.

“Don’t eat random things you find on the ground?”

“No he—Gale. Don’t eat random things you find on the ground? Don’t do that. What’ve you been doing? Nevermind. The Elder says to follow the birds if you’re lost.” Callista flicked her tail towards the bird in the tree, shaking out her trembling feet as she turned with all the confidence she could muster, “Like that one right there.”

“I’ve never heard him say that,” Gale stared at the bird. It eyed them back but didn’t stop singing. Callista shivered. This was a bad idea.

“Well he did. Follow the birds and they’ll carry you home. Sound like him?” She marched forwards in the direction of the song, finding with mild satisfaction that similar birds responded to the small tune nearby.

“If you say so.”

“He did.”

“At least they’re pretty.”

“Yeah.”

A melody entwined the trees and Callista spun with it, dragging her brother through sunlight and green. All her muscles ached, screamed she was going the wrong way, but there were no other paths to follow and her brain screamed louder that they were not allowed to be lost. She refused to be lost. Instead, they followed the birds and panic turned to eerie wonder as the chattering creatures grew in number, air teeming with a trilled chorus and a whirlwind of feathers.

“My feet hurt.” Gale groaned. He plunked himself down next to a bush of nettles, picking at the ground with his claws.

“The birds are too loud! What did you say?” Above them, a flurry of feathers tore the air. Callista couldn’t tell what was leaves and what was bird anymore above her head between the shrieking and swooping. Her eyes flitted back and forth, following the movements of a mass of talons and wings. She could feel a small flame in her chest light fire to the panic once more, but it was overrun by an overwhelming curiosity.

“I don’t think this is the right way home!”

“It is.” She said briskly, dark eyes wide and wandering as she stared at the cacophonous flock above her head.

“I’ve been thinking? About what you said? About the elder saying—” Gale started.

“You shouldn’t be here.” The birds fell silent. The words spoken came from behind the two dragons, barely above a whisper, yet they both jumped, turning slowly at the unearthly silence. Before them, perched a dragon, feathers the colour of forest and ocean draped over her massive wings with small jewels glittering off her skin in refracted sunlight. Beneath the face of a shining white bird skull, purple eyes gleamed keenly with rapt attention like the birds that the young dragons had followed all the way here.

“The elder… uh… the elder told us to follow the birds…” Gale offered, gazing awestruck at the grand dragon in front of him. His words trailed into dust.

“He didn’t,” Callista said abruptly. Her eyes darted anywhere other than the dragon in front of her. Everything felt like it was watching her, watching them, watching the small stammering dragons trapped under the oaks, watching and ready to leap forwards at any moment, to let go of its held breath.

“But you said—” Gale looked at his sister with bewilderment, shocked to silence by everything around him.

“Hush.” The great dragon silenced them, her voice still quiet and firm. The pause that followed felt as though it stretched into eternity. The only sound that brushed the treetops was the wind rustling the tops of branches; everything else drowned beneath a layer of moss and silence and not even the birds cawed.

“The forest is dangerous for dragons, especially small dragons like you, not even the birds will keep you safe.” The dragon’s voice was soft, “I will lead you home; do not fear, but for one moment, listen.”

The melody started in the distance. It was a small whistle, the voice of one bird drifting through the air, a lonely tune, and gradually other birds piped in reply. Before long, the entire forest was filled with a multitude chorus: thrumming caws and short chirps, deep hoots and quavering buzzes, whistling trills and warbling cries. All the sound gathered into one concordant mass, a ballad to the forest from its wings. The sun moved from its hazy afternoon until it hung low in the sky, throwing orange and purple across the clouds and casting shadows over the trees. The last measures of a song disappeared over the horizon with the light, remaining to float eerily before the night. There was a flutter of wings and the forest fell to silence once more.

Callista stared at the sky, for once not daring to speak.

“What was that?” Gale breathed. He was lying on his back, fiddling with a handful of wilting daisies as he basked in the memory of the song with murky eyes.

“That was the Oracle of the Birds. No one knows what it’s sung for. Some say it’s a thank you to the forest, some say an omen of something to come. It can be heard for miles over the treetops and when it’s sung, it’s always before sunset.”

“What do you think it is?” Callista asked, defiance returning to her voice. She squared her shoulders.

“Me? I’m just a watchman, a bystander.” The dragon shrugged, gathering loose feathers in her claws.

“That’s not true.” Callista demanded, defiance returning to her voice. She squared her shoulders, meeting the dragons eyes and thrashing her tail back and forth. She was terrified.

“Perhaps.” The dragon paused, a smile creeping across her face from beneath her birdskull mask, “My name is Auklet, and I think it’s time I brought you two home.”
Callista remembered the aching of her legs, and her drooping eyes. She looked at Gale, who slid towards the ground before perking up only to slide back down again.

“Yeah, ok.”

As sleep wrapped itself around the two small dragons, night slithered into the forest, creeping along the forest floor and filling the shadows beneath the leaves with darkness. Auklet carried the young dragons on her back, gliding over canopy of leaves with her jewels softly clinking along the strokes of her wings. An owl hooted in the distance.

“Sleep well young ones, and be wary,” She murmured, “The song of the birds was not a happy one tonight. Remember this day well if you will, or let it fall away into the dreams of childhood,” she sighed, feeling the small dragons roll over in their sleep. She had not expected company tonight, but she never turned it away, “If ever you are lost again, you may follow the birds if you wish. They will never bring you harm and their song is always beautiful.”
4a400340c0be109b6c971f8fd8e6cc021baeb6c8.png
[center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/8a8e/f/2018/295/c/d/h1_by_cas_a_fras-dcq466z.png[/img] [b]December 2nd: Dream[/b][/center] I just wanted to take the time to say I loved all of the submissions from yesterday's prompt! All of the stories were fantastic and we had a great variety! I encourage everyone to go back and read them if you haven't already! I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with today! Today's Prize: [quote=December 2 - dream][item=Trick of the Light][skin=14266][skin=17484][/quote] @CleverDual @Petall @GreatLordHades @Cheryy @GirlGamer1001 @MysticalScribe @Rhosen @Pantali @St0rmy @Kitanya @remnio @TigerFestival @dillykai @lessthan3 @LadyFairchild @Harana @Nettletea @Knickknacks @MarinaQuakenbush @Rhosen @Braixen @Zafer @HauntedWhale @RidleeKi @Talismarr
h1_by_cas_a_fras-dcq466z.png

December 2nd: Dream

I just wanted to take the time to say I loved all of the submissions from yesterday's prompt! All of the stories were fantastic and we had a great variety! I encourage everyone to go back and read them if you haven't already! I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with today!

Today's Prize:

December 2 - dream wrote:
Trick of the Light

@CleverDual @Petall @GreatLordHades @Cheryy @GirlGamer1001 @MysticalScribe @Rhosen @Pantali @St0rmy @Kitanya @remnio @TigerFestival @dillykai @lessthan3 @LadyFairchild @Harana @Nettletea @Knickknacks @MarinaQuakenbush @Rhosen @Braixen @Zafer @HauntedWhale @RidleeKi @Talismarr
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40672761] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/406728/40672761_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41609413] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/416095/41609413_350.png[/img] [/url] A Dragon's dreams all depend on who that Dragon is. An aspiring author might dream of writing the most published book in all history. A necromancer might dream of leading an army of the undead all across Sornieth. Even the tiniest Fae can become the biggest Imperial in the realm of imagination. Greater Horrors, however, are another story. They are the embodiments of Fears, servants of the Shade, monsters of THE VOID. They don't need sleep, even in the mortal realm. They don't dream. They nightmare. The Fear of Darkness slinks its way into a Mind and plunges the dream into pitch-black darkness. The Fear of Dogs chases and barks at its terrified victim. The Fear of the Apocalypse brings forth visions of chaos and destruction, Deities gone mad and a Sornieth torn apart by disaster. So as Shadeborn sits within his own dream, the Fear of Snakes leaned into his side and protectively covered by his wing, he wonders how this Spiral-shaped Horror can produce a dream of benevolent pythons and gentle boas, rather than a nightmare of hissing rattlers and aggressive cobras.

40672761_350.png

41609413_350.png

A Dragon's dreams all depend on who that Dragon is. An aspiring author might dream of writing the most published book in all history. A necromancer might dream of leading an army of the undead all across Sornieth. Even the tiniest Fae can become the biggest Imperial in the realm of imagination.

Greater Horrors, however, are another story. They are the embodiments of Fears, servants of the Shade, monsters of THE VOID. They don't need sleep, even in the mortal realm. They don't dream. They nightmare.

The Fear of Darkness slinks its way into a Mind and plunges the dream into pitch-black darkness. The Fear of Dogs chases and barks at its terrified victim. The Fear of the Apocalypse brings forth visions of chaos and destruction, Deities gone mad and a Sornieth torn apart by disaster.

So as Shadeborn sits within his own dream, the Fear of Snakes leaned into his side and protectively covered by his wing, he wonders how this Spiral-shaped Horror can produce a dream of benevolent pythons and gentle boas, rather than a nightmare of hissing rattlers and aggressive cobras.
VGxuHXT.png
I couldn’t find time to sit down and write for yesterday’s prompt, but I loved all the submissions ^^" I’m definitely going to work at getting my piece out today, though! I’ve planned it out and am really excited for it!
I couldn’t find time to sit down and write for yesterday’s prompt, but I loved all the submissions ^^" I’m definitely going to work at getting my piece out today, though! I’ve planned it out and am really excited for it!
light.gif
Knick -- busy student -- FR+3
Just a gal tryin to gene up her kids and collect familiars, whenever schoolwork permits. I like cats, folk music, and rain. Always up for a chat!
ZwVaRtj.gif
gah @CleverDual @Petall I have the perfect one for dream and had the perfect one for flight... already written months ago XD
gah @CleverDual @Petall I have the perfect one for dream and had the perfect one for flight... already written months ago XD
RkXJJ5L.png
3adgzZD.png
6Dq3jOp.png
tqGkHih.png
bYt72YT.png
AaYNmEX.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31 32