Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | I wrote something!?
Yeeeeee I wrote a little story, for like the first time ever! When doing lore I usually write a description of the dragon's personality or short biography of their life up until that point, but I actually got inspired to write a short scene/story for once! I have never even written anything like this for any of my OCs, so this is kind of a first. It's very short, only 627 words, but I am actually kind of proud of myself lmao If anyone would like to read it, I put it below! I would love any critique, that's actually the main reason I'm posting this. English isn't my first language, so I apologize if there are more grammar or spelling mistakes than you're used to! (feel free to point them out btw) [quote] Of all the things Nim had been expecting to find on her trip, a young, starving Guardian dragon certainly wasn’t one of them. Yet there he was, looking up at her with big, blood red eyes. Plague. He didn’t look to be very old, not much older than ten. Why would a dragon this young be in Arcane territory all by himself? If she had to guess, she would say that the kid had been dropped off by his parents. Plague dragons were known to honor the strongest members and families in their clans, some clans so much so that they would get rid of weaker or sickly offspring because it was a “stain” on their lineage. It made Nim sick. “Hey kid, where are your parents?” The hatchling didn’t respond, just kept staring at her. It made her uncomfortable. “How did you get here?” Still no response. Nim let out a frustrated sigh, she had never been good with kids. “Got a name?” A moment passed, but then, a quiet, barely audible voice finally answered her: “D-Dorian. My name is Dorian.” Nim was quite surprised to hear him talk, she hadn’t expected him to answer her. He sounded scared, but then again, that was fair. The kid had probably gone through some traumatic things in his stay here. These woods were on the border between the Arcane and Plague territories, powerful magic mixed with the death and decay of Plague resulted in all sorts of deadly, sometimes undead creatures. It was frankly surprising that Dorian was still alive, a tiny dragon like him was easy prey for the creatures lurking here, not to mention the danger of starvation. Leaving him here would be a death sentence. “Okay, Dorian, do you know any people or clans close by that I could bring you to?” Better try to find him a new home, then. He looked at the ground at this. “N-No, I have never been here before. …Why can’t I go home?” He looked up at her with big, hopeful eyes once again, but there was another emotion there. He knew why. Well, that confirmed her theory. The look Nim gave the tiny dragon was answer enough for him aswell. “Oh.” It would be difficult to introduce the kid to an entirely new clan and leave him there, let alone find one that would adopt him on such a short notice. She didn’t have time for this, she came here to take care of some important business, and the sooner she could leave, the better. But she simply couldn’t leave Dorian here to die. She sighed. “Well, then I guess you’d better come with me. I have some business to attend to close by here, but after that I can take you to my clan if you’d like to come.” [i]Tawny would kill her for this[/i] “It’s not ideal, but at least you’d be safe.” She turned around and started heading back to the path she had been following. Tiny footsteps and a shrill voice could be heard behind her: “Wait! Where are we going!?” “I already told you, I have some business to attend to and then I can take you to my clan. I’m not forcing you to come if you’d prefer to stay here, of course, but I figured you might like to sleep in relative safety for the next few nights.” She stopped, turned her head around slightly and looked at him, forcing a small, friendly smile to form on her face. “Besides, I could use some company on this adventure of mine.” Dorian looked up at her as a big grin formed on his face, and Nim turned around once again. By the Gladekeeper, what had she gotten herself into now? [/quote] The dragons in question are: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=32770376] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/327704/32770376_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41485425] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/414855/41485425_350.png[/img] [/url] And the mentioned [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=143170&tab=dragon&did=40264809]"Tawny"[/url] is my clan leader and avatar derg [size=2]Also, I'm not trying to paint the Plague flight in a bad light, but I want to write Dorian as coming from quite a bad home clan, so I needed to headcanon some things. I hope you understand![/size] If you made it to here, thank you for reading! :D
Yeeeeee I wrote a little story, for like the first time ever! When doing lore I usually write a description of the dragon's personality or short biography of their life up until that point, but I actually got inspired to write a short scene/story for once! I have never even written anything like this for any of my OCs, so this is kind of a first.
It's very short, only 627 words, but I am actually kind of proud of myself lmao

If anyone would like to read it, I put it below! I would love any critique, that's actually the main reason I'm posting this. English isn't my first language, so I apologize if there are more grammar or spelling mistakes than you're used to! (feel free to point them out btw)

Quote:
Of all the things Nim had been expecting to find on her trip, a young, starving Guardian dragon certainly wasn’t one of them. Yet there he was, looking up at her with big, blood red eyes. Plague. He didn’t look to be very old, not much older than ten. Why would a dragon this young be in Arcane territory all by himself? If she had to guess, she would say that the kid had been dropped off by his parents. Plague dragons were known to honor the strongest members and families in their clans, some clans so much so that they would get rid of weaker or sickly offspring because it was a “stain” on their lineage. It made Nim sick.

“Hey kid, where are your parents?”

The hatchling didn’t respond, just kept staring at her. It made her uncomfortable.

“How did you get here?”

Still no response. Nim let out a frustrated sigh, she had never been good with kids.

“Got a name?”

A moment passed, but then, a quiet, barely audible voice finally answered her: “D-Dorian. My name is Dorian.” Nim was quite surprised to hear him talk, she hadn’t expected him to answer her. He sounded scared, but then again, that was fair. The kid had probably gone through some traumatic things in his stay here. These woods were on the border between the Arcane and Plague territories, powerful magic mixed with the death and decay of Plague resulted in all sorts of deadly, sometimes undead creatures. It was frankly surprising that Dorian was still alive, a tiny dragon like him was easy prey for the creatures lurking here, not to mention the danger of starvation. Leaving him here would be a death sentence.

“Okay, Dorian, do you know any people or clans close by that I could bring you to?” Better try to find him a new home, then. He looked at the ground at this. “N-No, I have never been here before. …Why can’t I go home?” He looked up at her with big, hopeful eyes once again, but there was another emotion there. He knew why. Well, that confirmed her theory. The look Nim gave the tiny dragon was answer enough for him aswell. “Oh.”

It would be difficult to introduce the kid to an entirely new clan and leave him there, let alone find one that would adopt him on such a short notice. She didn’t have time for this, she came here to take care of some important business, and the sooner she could leave, the better. But she simply couldn’t leave Dorian here to die.

She sighed. “Well, then I guess you’d better come with me. I have some business to attend to close by here, but after that I can take you to my clan if you’d like to come.” Tawny would kill her for this “It’s not ideal, but at least you’d be safe.” She turned around and started heading back to the path she had been following. Tiny footsteps and a shrill voice could be heard behind her: “Wait! Where are we going!?”

“I already told you, I have some business to attend to and then I can take you to my clan. I’m not forcing you to come if you’d prefer to stay here, of course, but I figured you might like to sleep in relative safety for the next few nights.” She stopped, turned her head around slightly and looked at him, forcing a small, friendly smile to form on her face. “Besides, I could use some company on this adventure of mine.” Dorian looked up at her as a big grin formed on his face, and Nim turned around once again. By the Gladekeeper, what had she gotten herself into now?

The dragons in question are:

32770376_350.png

41485425_350.png

And the mentioned "Tawny" is my clan leader and avatar derg

Also, I'm not trying to paint the Plague flight in a bad light, but I want to write Dorian as coming from quite a bad home clan, so I needed to headcanon some things. I hope you understand!

If you made it to here, thank you for reading! :D
RAS7foa.png
Wn94zHr.png
XmHV7tO.png
bYt72YT.png
dEe2UrM.png

edsfge
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx skyleaf.gif
@skyleaf Honestly, I struggled to find anything to critique and had to get super nitpicky. Really nice piece here. First paragraph feels a tad repetitive/has some unnecessary words, in my opinion (again, [u]opinion[/u]. None of this stuff is wrong, I just think it'd flow better with a little editing). [i]Dragon[/i] after [i]Guardian[/i] I don't think is necessary, we all know what a Guardian is. You describe his eye color, revealing what his flight in, then tell us his flight as well. The whole bit about [i]not looking very old/not much older than ten/a dragon this young/the kid[/i] thing just hammers in his age a little too much, I think - though most of my issue with this is the first sentence giving an in-general "not very old" and then basically saying the same thing with more specifics literally right after that. [quote]It was frankly surprising that Dorian was still alive, a [b]tiny dragon like him[/b] was easy prey for the creatures lurking here, not to mention the danger of starvation. [/quote] Just would like to note he's a Guardian, one of the largest breeds: even as a hatchling, I don't think he could be called "tiny." [quote]The look Nim gave the tiny dragon was answer enough for him [b]aswell[/b].[/quote] Two words, not one.
@skyleaf

Honestly, I struggled to find anything to critique and had to get super nitpicky. Really nice piece here.

First paragraph feels a tad repetitive/has some unnecessary words, in my opinion (again, opinion. None of this stuff is wrong, I just think it'd flow better with a little editing). Dragon after Guardian I don't think is necessary, we all know what a Guardian is. You describe his eye color, revealing what his flight in, then tell us his flight as well. The whole bit about not looking very old/not much older than ten/a dragon this young/the kid thing just hammers in his age a little too much, I think - though most of my issue with this is the first sentence giving an in-general "not very old" and then basically saying the same thing with more specifics literally right after that.

Quote:
It was frankly surprising that Dorian was still alive, a tiny dragon like him was easy prey for the creatures lurking here, not to mention the danger of starvation.
Just would like to note he's a Guardian, one of the largest breeds: even as a hatchling, I don't think he could be called "tiny."

Quote:
The look Nim gave the tiny dragon was answer enough for him aswell.
Two words, not one.

X
X
loading.gif

X
X
@AnonEclipse

Aaaa thank you, this really helps! I reread the first paragraph a couple of times again, and yeah, I definitely see what you mean. I'll keep that in mind!

About the "tiny dragon like him", I like to headcanon the different dragon breeds much closer in size than in canon, but I probably should have clarified that. (and yeah, at ten, he would probably be a bit bigger!)

And thanks for pointing that out! I have alot of trouble with what words to connect (or not to) in English

I'm planning to edit it a bit in a seperate file with your critique in mind so that I can come back later to compare them if I ever need to. Really, thank you! <3
@AnonEclipse

Aaaa thank you, this really helps! I reread the first paragraph a couple of times again, and yeah, I definitely see what you mean. I'll keep that in mind!

About the "tiny dragon like him", I like to headcanon the different dragon breeds much closer in size than in canon, but I probably should have clarified that. (and yeah, at ten, he would probably be a bit bigger!)

And thanks for pointing that out! I have alot of trouble with what words to connect (or not to) in English

I'm planning to edit it a bit in a seperate file with your critique in mind so that I can come back later to compare them if I ever need to. Really, thank you! <3
RAS7foa.png
Wn94zHr.png
XmHV7tO.png
bYt72YT.png
dEe2UrM.png

edsfge
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx skyleaf.gif