Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Subspecies] Necromancer Art&Lore
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 35
[size=1]@3idolon @TheCell @kmrikkari @Horseleech @SashaFiredrake @Mnkn10 @EssayOfThoughts @Bara2684 @reotheleo @WolfandCrow @StDuke @Pebz @Shadowfire1223 @ToxicSugar @vengeful @WolfTrickster @Scorpiontail @Meilkor @Turboblaze @Blightwyrm @RoaringSpector[/size] [center][size=7][color=DarkRed][font=Bradley Hand ITC][b]SPOTLIGHT[/b][/font][/color][/size][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=userpage&id=357005][size=6][color=maroon]EssayOfThoughts[/url][size=6][color=maroon]' Intestinum[/color][/size][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40885693] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/408857/40885693_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [center][color=maroon]Intestinum is three things. Firstly, he is a failure born of failures. His mother is a Plagueborn who is always sick. His father is a Necromancer unable to cure her. He himself failed his trials, a mere Necroservus to his father's ability to curse [i]and[/i] to cure. Secondly, he is and always will be, a child in the eyes of his father. His failures mark him down as lesser, as ever the student, never the teacher. The apprentice, never the master. Sometimes he bristles at this. Bridles. Other times he is content in his place because, for all he and his father disagree on just about everything, his father never pushes him to do something he disagrees with. Despite all their disagreements [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=view&id=191160&tab=dragon&did=24162871]Aerugosanguis[/url] is still his father, and remembers that there is duty in that role as much as there is in mentor or Necromancer. Thirdly, he is no fool. He has loyalty and doles it out where it is earned. To his father out of respect. To his mother out of love. To [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=191160&tab=dragon&did=18504140]Tethys[/url] and [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=191160&tab=dragon&did=18504143]Telchine[/url], leaders of the clan, out of gratitude - they could have thrown him out when he failed, but they made a space for him, had him help [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=191160&tab=dragon&did=20425368]Porcelain[/url] identify sickness and provide temporary treatment until his father could arrive. He even offers respect to [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=191160&tab=dragon&did=42407609]Nosoi[/url], whom he disagrees with on a few levels even more fundamental than his father, because with all her failings she understands his, and offers no judgement. But there are others who have not earned it and to whom he offers only the most cursory courtesy. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=191160&tab=dragon&did=43169315]Pleurisy[/url] he doubts. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=191160&tab=dragon&did=43978078]Pestilentia[/url] concerns him. His own daughter, soon to leave them, his precious [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44519604]Ondine[/url], a Necroservus just like he is, he fears for so much it overrides the respect he holds her in. She raises a valid point, however. He and she and Pestilentia can all do something no Necromancer can. A Necromancer can curse and cure, and with two arts to keep an eye on no one is their singular speciality. A Necroservus can only curse, but some can curse precisely to cure. He'd learned it first, mimicking his mother's feather mutation and replicating it in others, forcing muscles to build and strengthen atrophied wings. Pestilentia he was teaching, though most days she seemed to pay only half an ear, too loyal to her mentor to take tutelage from another without his permission. Ondine... Ondine picked it up like breathing - something she had to learn to do, to remember to do, but that flows in and out as readily as any other function of life. Ondine, he thinks, will surpass him. Maybe... maybe that is why she seeks to leave. Maybe that is why she is the one who realised the idea that had never occurred to him - his one bit of folly and foolishness. The histories were written by the Necromancers after all. As she had said: why would they ever record those who could cure what they could not? It has raised a question in his mind. It has left him spending hours writing letters to any and every other 'servus he knows. How many others, he wonders, can cure with a curse? How many others, sidelined by their masters, relegated to secondary, are just as powerful if only in a separate sphere? He gazes out - across the Ashfall Wastes, across the waters, to the far far far horizon, barely visible even on a clear day - to where the Plaguelands lie. What he thinks might be the closest thing to treason for a Necromantic dragon. [i]Are we secondary, Lady of Plague? Or are we as much your Hands as they are?[/i][/color][/center] [color=maroon]by EssayOfThoughts
@3idolon @TheCell @kmrikkari @Horseleech @SashaFiredrake @Mnkn10 @EssayOfThoughts @Bara2684 @reotheleo @WolfandCrow @StDuke @Pebz @Shadowfire1223 @ToxicSugar @vengeful @WolfTrickster @Scorpiontail @Meilkor @Turboblaze @Blightwyrm @RoaringSpector
SPOTLIGHT
EssayOfThoughts' Intestinum
Intestinum is three things.

Firstly, he is a failure born of failures. His mother is a Plagueborn who is always sick. His father is a Necromancer unable to cure her. He himself failed his trials, a mere Necroservus to his father's ability to curse and to cure.

Secondly, he is and always will be, a child in the eyes of his father. His failures mark him down as lesser, as ever the student, never the teacher. The apprentice, never the master. Sometimes he bristles at this. Bridles. Other times he is content in his place because, for all he and his father disagree on just about everything, his father never pushes him to do something he disagrees with.

Despite all their disagreements Aerugosanguis is still his father, and remembers that there is duty in that role as much as there is in mentor or Necromancer.

Thirdly, he is no fool. He has loyalty and doles it out where it is earned. To his father out of respect. To his mother out of love. To Tethys and Telchine, leaders of the clan, out of gratitude - they could have thrown him out when he failed, but they made a space for him, had him help Porcelain identify sickness and provide temporary treatment until his father could arrive. He even offers respect to Nosoi, whom he disagrees with on a few levels even more fundamental than his father, because with all her failings she understands his, and offers no judgement. But there are others who have not earned it and to whom he offers only the most cursory courtesy.

Pleurisy he doubts. Pestilentia concerns him. His own daughter, soon to leave them, his precious Ondine, a Necroservus just like he is, he fears for so much it overrides the respect he holds her in.

She raises a valid point, however.

He and she and Pestilentia can all do something no Necromancer can. A Necromancer can curse and cure, and with two arts to keep an eye on no one is their singular speciality.

A Necroservus can only curse, but some can curse precisely to cure. He'd learned it first, mimicking his mother's feather mutation and replicating it in others, forcing muscles to build and strengthen atrophied wings. Pestilentia he was teaching, though most days she seemed to pay only half an ear, too loyal to her mentor to take tutelage from another without his permission. Ondine...

Ondine picked it up like breathing - something she had to learn to do, to remember to do, but that flows in and out as readily as any other function of life. Ondine, he thinks, will surpass him.

Maybe... maybe that is why she seeks to leave. Maybe that is why she is the one who realised the idea that had never occurred to him - his one bit of folly and foolishness.

The histories were written by the Necromancers after all. As she had said: why would they ever record those who could cure what they could not?

It has raised a question in his mind. It has left him spending hours writing letters to any and every other 'servus he knows.

How many others, he wonders, can cure with a curse? How many others, sidelined by their masters, relegated to secondary, are just as powerful if only in a separate sphere?

He gazes out - across the Ashfall Wastes, across the waters, to the far far far horizon, barely visible even on a clear day - to where the Plaguelands lie. What he thinks might be the closest thing to treason for a Necromantic dragon.

Are we secondary, Lady of Plague? Or are we as much your Hands as they are?

by EssayOfThoughts
Congrats, @EssayOfThoughts!
Congrats, @EssayOfThoughts!
Will Draw For Treasure
@TheCell Day 21: Bones
Part Four of a 6-part story about Azor picking a symbol.

Azor and Echidna roamed the desert. Why? To find bones.

“Ooooh, look at this one!” Echidna chirped as she picked up some sort of bone. “Maybe a femur of… some kind of mammal? Femurs are good!” Azor was continually amazed at how much knowledge she had of the Wastes. How she could recognize the origin of a bone just by seeing it. If she were a Necromancer, he thought, her symbol would be bones for sure.

“Really, this isn’t necessary,” Azor said. “Like I said. Bones are the symbol of clairvoyance, and I have none of that kind of power.”

“Oh, but son. Bone picking is fun! You know, Whitefang loves a good bone. He’s very good at finding them, though he often chews through them before I have a chance to look them over! A good companion, he is. Besides, aren’t you a Water dragon by blood?”

“Nope, not at all I just have terminal crying syndrome.” Azor rolled his eyes at the obvious question.

“That was rhetorical, son. Anyway. Aren’t Water dragons supposed to foretell the future? Bones should be a good symbol for you, waterboy.”

“I already explained this to all of you. I forsook the Tidelord because he left us all to die. Plaguemother only knows where he went to, but he abandoned his children and I will have nothing to do with that flight anymore.”

“Correction. You explained that to Typheus and assumed he told everyone else. And now I know that you are a flight defector.”

“Correct. And I am not clairvoyant in any way. So can we go back home and discuss other symbols now?”

“We’ve already gone through four of them! How many more can there possibly be?”

“Some.”

“But, son. How is this not fun? Just look at this one! A vertebra, probably from a mammal as well… maybe the whole skeleton is nearby! Come on, we must find the rest of this creature!”

Azor smiled at Echidna’s enthusiasm and followed her further into the desert.
@TheCell Day 21: Bones
Part Four of a 6-part story about Azor picking a symbol.

Azor and Echidna roamed the desert. Why? To find bones.

“Ooooh, look at this one!” Echidna chirped as she picked up some sort of bone. “Maybe a femur of… some kind of mammal? Femurs are good!” Azor was continually amazed at how much knowledge she had of the Wastes. How she could recognize the origin of a bone just by seeing it. If she were a Necromancer, he thought, her symbol would be bones for sure.

“Really, this isn’t necessary,” Azor said. “Like I said. Bones are the symbol of clairvoyance, and I have none of that kind of power.”

“Oh, but son. Bone picking is fun! You know, Whitefang loves a good bone. He’s very good at finding them, though he often chews through them before I have a chance to look them over! A good companion, he is. Besides, aren’t you a Water dragon by blood?”

“Nope, not at all I just have terminal crying syndrome.” Azor rolled his eyes at the obvious question.

“That was rhetorical, son. Anyway. Aren’t Water dragons supposed to foretell the future? Bones should be a good symbol for you, waterboy.”

“I already explained this to all of you. I forsook the Tidelord because he left us all to die. Plaguemother only knows where he went to, but he abandoned his children and I will have nothing to do with that flight anymore.”

“Correction. You explained that to Typheus and assumed he told everyone else. And now I know that you are a flight defector.”

“Correct. And I am not clairvoyant in any way. So can we go back home and discuss other symbols now?”

“We’ve already gone through four of them! How many more can there possibly be?”

“Some.”

“But, son. How is this not fun? Just look at this one! A vertebra, probably from a mammal as well… maybe the whole skeleton is nearby! Come on, we must find the rest of this creature!”

Azor smiled at Echidna’s enthusiasm and followed her further into the desert.
QQnBZuq.gif
if you are reading this you get a cookie
persist/percy | he/they | fr+3
643gino.gif
Woo! Its been a while but I'm back! Here's a little bit of Dasker making his main symbol, the crown of bones (I'll come back and fix it up a little later, working on a story at the moment)

Prompt 21: Bones

The twine around his fingers seemed to weigh a thousand pounds. Each bone that he had strung together were sun bleached, and now he was running short. He let out a small sigh and looked around for more bones. After a few hours he continued his crown.
Woo! Its been a while but I'm back! Here's a little bit of Dasker making his main symbol, the crown of bones (I'll come back and fix it up a little later, working on a story at the moment)

Prompt 21: Bones

The twine around his fingers seemed to weigh a thousand pounds. Each bone that he had strung together were sun bleached, and now he was running short. He let out a small sigh and looked around for more bones. After a few hours he continued his crown.
She/her
+3 FRT
Forums lurker
Collector of old dragons
Lore clan!

Color-Hand-15.png
95c947c87cc1e92d43ab7d172f86ce89d0a06f2b.png
@Turboblaze @Shadari [color=B40404][b]Whew, sorry for my late post. I had a few quizzes I needed to get done today! Without further ado...[/color] [color=orangered][b]The winner of our Secondary Necro gene bag including:[/color] [b]Either [item=Secondary Gene: Current],[item=Secondary Gene: Stripes],[item=Secondary Gene: Daub] [item=Secondary Gene: Striation], [b]or[/b][item=Secondary Gene: Saturn] x1 [b]Plus:[/b] [item= Prismatic Token]x1 [item=Plaguebringer Bone Scrimshaw]x1 [color=limegreen][b]is...... @EssayofThoughts ! Let me know which secondary gene you would like!
@Turboblaze @Shadari

Whew, sorry for my late post. I had a few quizzes I needed to get done today! Without further ado...

The winner of our Secondary Necro gene bag including:

Either Secondary Gene: Current , Secondary Gene: Stripes , Secondary Gene: Daub
Secondary Gene: Striation , or Secondary Gene: Saturn x1

Plus:
Prismatic Token x1 Plaguebringer Bone Scrimshaw x1

is...... @EssayofThoughts ! Let me know which secondary gene you would like!
plague_flight_banner_by_dinocyanide-d8tx18y.png
@Meilkor - thank you!
@TheCell - I've messaged you!
@Kava and TheCell - the two Plaguetober prompts.

21st October. Prompt: Bones

Necromancer is an old word. It comes from Nekros manteia, to divine using the dead.

Perhaps it is unsurprising that some Necromancers still hold to that old definition and cast the bones to decide the path they will take. Will they step in? Not if the bones refuse it. A mole skull, eyes up, the long bones of a bird's wing in a crosshatch. These mark a denial, a refusal. Others are confirmation. A bird's skull, sans lower jaw, open forever in a scream, the paws-and-claws of a big cat, ready to reach out and grab.

These are confirmation.

They say many things about the Necromancers who cast the bones. That they're mad. That they're strange. That they do not follow Her will as precisely as they could.

They say otherwise. They would argue that, in using the bones of those they killed with Her gifts, they divine the future that She wants.

Is it true? Is it false? Not even Lightborn Necromancers know for sure. Lightborn and Arcaneborn both have studied the phenomenon extensively, sometimes aided by Waterborn Necromancers with all their skills as Seers.

It is worth noting, however, that those who cast the bones have a knack for knowing how things are going to go.

22nd October. Prompt: Rite

We reach, we call, we hope, we pray

The dragons danced in a circle, the fire bright and leaping.

We reach, we dance, we hope we may

They twisted and turned, a whirling dervish of activity, spiralling around the fire like a Spiral on caffeine.

Let us see the truth we seek
Give us the future a single peek

Across their skin, Plague moves. Silhouetted by the fire, a Pearlcatcher stands, dark thylacine stripes marking their Necromantic magic.

Help us, mother, hear our cry
Help us, hear us, reach the skies

With a final chant the crowd falls still. Some even fall completely. The Necromancer passes amongst them, clawed hands stroking over bodies, drawing the Plague back out.

They stop, at last, before a Wildclaw. Her blindly glowing eyes are new, and the Pearlcatcher strokes a claw along her jaw without touching the Plague. The Plague, it seems, is receding on its own.

"What do you see, child?"

@Meilkor - thank you!
@TheCell - I've messaged you!
@Kava and TheCell - the two Plaguetober prompts.

21st October. Prompt: Bones

Necromancer is an old word. It comes from Nekros manteia, to divine using the dead.

Perhaps it is unsurprising that some Necromancers still hold to that old definition and cast the bones to decide the path they will take. Will they step in? Not if the bones refuse it. A mole skull, eyes up, the long bones of a bird's wing in a crosshatch. These mark a denial, a refusal. Others are confirmation. A bird's skull, sans lower jaw, open forever in a scream, the paws-and-claws of a big cat, ready to reach out and grab.

These are confirmation.

They say many things about the Necromancers who cast the bones. That they're mad. That they're strange. That they do not follow Her will as precisely as they could.

They say otherwise. They would argue that, in using the bones of those they killed with Her gifts, they divine the future that She wants.

Is it true? Is it false? Not even Lightborn Necromancers know for sure. Lightborn and Arcaneborn both have studied the phenomenon extensively, sometimes aided by Waterborn Necromancers with all their skills as Seers.

It is worth noting, however, that those who cast the bones have a knack for knowing how things are going to go.

22nd October. Prompt: Rite

We reach, we call, we hope, we pray

The dragons danced in a circle, the fire bright and leaping.

We reach, we dance, we hope we may

They twisted and turned, a whirling dervish of activity, spiralling around the fire like a Spiral on caffeine.

Let us see the truth we seek
Give us the future a single peek

Across their skin, Plague moves. Silhouetted by the fire, a Pearlcatcher stands, dark thylacine stripes marking their Necromantic magic.

Help us, mother, hear our cry
Help us, hear us, reach the skies

With a final chant the crowd falls still. Some even fall completely. The Necromancer passes amongst them, clawed hands stroking over bodies, drawing the Plague back out.

They stop, at last, before a Wildclaw. Her blindly glowing eyes are new, and the Pearlcatcher strokes a claw along her jaw without touching the Plague. The Plague, it seems, is receding on its own.

"What do you see, child?"

MercyFangsButton2.png IzGiMOB.png 100x100Symbol.png No one can live your life for you. That means they can't tell you who you are - what you are - either. Question others. Question yourself. Come to your own conclusions.

??? Pronouns. UK Time.
@TheCell Day 22: Rite - Continuation of Day 20: Disheveled

“No, no NO! She can’t die! No!” Azor refused to lose faith. He had been sitting with Rolas for three hours, healing without pause. She was still unconscious and showed no signs of improving much at all. “NO! NO! NO!”

Cess sat by Azor’s side, applying a poultice to the wound to prevent further infection. She was silent. Viper and Tricholoma anxiously looked on. Even Delta, who still harbored some distrust for the Necromancer, sat to watch.

“Azor, she might be too far gone -” Cess tried to bring him to realization, but he refused.
“NO! She’s still alive! I can save her!”
“Azor, if she is destined to die, let her! It’s what Mother would want.”
“I DON’T GIVE A DAMN WHAT MOTHER WANTS!!!!” Azor shouted without thinking.
Thunder boomed. There hasn’t been thunder in the Scarred Wasteland in millenia.
“I JUST WANT MY FRIEND TO LIVE!”

Delta, suddenly realizing just how powerful Azor was, fled back to her den. Viper and Tricholoma stayed, although both of them were now equally as terrified of Azor as they were of losing Rolas. Cess still sat by his side. She knew he would repent after this all had passed.

Azor tried to push the dark thoughts from his mind. It was impeding his healing. Rolas lay perfectly still except for the slight movement of her chest. “Cess, please do something else. Try something else. Nothing is working. Please God, Please Mother Have Mercy!” he cried.

Cess pulled a little jar out of her pouch. Azor caught sight of it and as calmly as he could asked “What is that?”
“The last thing I can think of. Pure Wyrmwound mixed with a healing potion.” Seeing Azor’s pleading stare, she explained “She can’t take all of it. I’ll dab a tiny bit of the elixir over her cut…”

Azor continued to clear his mind, thinking only about happy things. Happy things. Finding a home with these dragons that he cared for so much. Having Echidna help him pick a symbol. Befriending the sprites, Stella and Arrow. Botulinum teaching him the art of alchemy. Rolas telling him the stories of the Crimson Pandemic… Rolas.

He would die if it meant saving her.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!”
Azor let out a mighty roar as he shoved the last of his energy directly into Rolas’ body, just as Cess put the Wyrmwound potion on her wound. Immediately it closed up, all inflammation disappeared, and the infection killed itself. For a split second, he glowed red. Then he collapsed.

"AZOR!" Viper yelled as he ran toward his friends. As Azor's consciousness faded, he realized he was laying in a pool of water. Did I do that? he thought as he slipped into dreamless sleep.

Cess still sat by Rolas’ side. Softly. “She’s breathing normally again.”
Viper audibly gasped in relief. Trich moved as fast as she could to join them. She was panicked. “What in the name of the Eleven just happened?”
“I couldn’t tell you what he did, but Rolas… is going to be just fine.”
Trich let out a hefty sigh. “Thank the Plaguebringer,” she mused. “Thank You for having mercy on our friend. But what about Azor?”

They all turned to look at his limp form. He looked so peaceful, asleep in the puddle. Cess could sense that he was alive and would be fine, but inside she wondered if he thought he actually gave all his energy to save Rolas; if he believed that he sacrificed himself for her.

Interesting, considering that he made it very clear that he wasn't interested in romance.

Typheus burst through the trapdoor leading to the roof. “What in Tarnation is going on here?” As he looked over the scene, and he began to connect things, he started to freak out. “Oh no. Oh No. What is this? What happened to Rolas? What happened to Azor? Did he make this puddle? This is so much water what did he DO? Oh Gods are you all okay?”

“Please, Typheus, calm down. Everyone is fine. And yes, Azor did make this puddle. It was quite impressive. His eyes made geysers as he gave her the last of his energy. It was so powerful it almost knocked us over.”

Typheus showed no signs of calming down or of listening to Cess at all. She sighed and doled out some instructions. “Viper, take Rolas back to her den. And both of you, keep an eye on her. Typheus and I will take care of Azor.”
@TheCell Day 22: Rite - Continuation of Day 20: Disheveled

“No, no NO! She can’t die! No!” Azor refused to lose faith. He had been sitting with Rolas for three hours, healing without pause. She was still unconscious and showed no signs of improving much at all. “NO! NO! NO!”

Cess sat by Azor’s side, applying a poultice to the wound to prevent further infection. She was silent. Viper and Tricholoma anxiously looked on. Even Delta, who still harbored some distrust for the Necromancer, sat to watch.

“Azor, she might be too far gone -” Cess tried to bring him to realization, but he refused.
“NO! She’s still alive! I can save her!”
“Azor, if she is destined to die, let her! It’s what Mother would want.”
“I DON’T GIVE A DAMN WHAT MOTHER WANTS!!!!” Azor shouted without thinking.
Thunder boomed. There hasn’t been thunder in the Scarred Wasteland in millenia.
“I JUST WANT MY FRIEND TO LIVE!”

Delta, suddenly realizing just how powerful Azor was, fled back to her den. Viper and Tricholoma stayed, although both of them were now equally as terrified of Azor as they were of losing Rolas. Cess still sat by his side. She knew he would repent after this all had passed.

Azor tried to push the dark thoughts from his mind. It was impeding his healing. Rolas lay perfectly still except for the slight movement of her chest. “Cess, please do something else. Try something else. Nothing is working. Please God, Please Mother Have Mercy!” he cried.

Cess pulled a little jar out of her pouch. Azor caught sight of it and as calmly as he could asked “What is that?”
“The last thing I can think of. Pure Wyrmwound mixed with a healing potion.” Seeing Azor’s pleading stare, she explained “She can’t take all of it. I’ll dab a tiny bit of the elixir over her cut…”

Azor continued to clear his mind, thinking only about happy things. Happy things. Finding a home with these dragons that he cared for so much. Having Echidna help him pick a symbol. Befriending the sprites, Stella and Arrow. Botulinum teaching him the art of alchemy. Rolas telling him the stories of the Crimson Pandemic… Rolas.

He would die if it meant saving her.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!”
Azor let out a mighty roar as he shoved the last of his energy directly into Rolas’ body, just as Cess put the Wyrmwound potion on her wound. Immediately it closed up, all inflammation disappeared, and the infection killed itself. For a split second, he glowed red. Then he collapsed.

"AZOR!" Viper yelled as he ran toward his friends. As Azor's consciousness faded, he realized he was laying in a pool of water. Did I do that? he thought as he slipped into dreamless sleep.

Cess still sat by Rolas’ side. Softly. “She’s breathing normally again.”
Viper audibly gasped in relief. Trich moved as fast as she could to join them. She was panicked. “What in the name of the Eleven just happened?”
“I couldn’t tell you what he did, but Rolas… is going to be just fine.”
Trich let out a hefty sigh. “Thank the Plaguebringer,” she mused. “Thank You for having mercy on our friend. But what about Azor?”

They all turned to look at his limp form. He looked so peaceful, asleep in the puddle. Cess could sense that he was alive and would be fine, but inside she wondered if he thought he actually gave all his energy to save Rolas; if he believed that he sacrificed himself for her.

Interesting, considering that he made it very clear that he wasn't interested in romance.

Typheus burst through the trapdoor leading to the roof. “What in Tarnation is going on here?” As he looked over the scene, and he began to connect things, he started to freak out. “Oh no. Oh No. What is this? What happened to Rolas? What happened to Azor? Did he make this puddle? This is so much water what did he DO? Oh Gods are you all okay?”

“Please, Typheus, calm down. Everyone is fine. And yes, Azor did make this puddle. It was quite impressive. His eyes made geysers as he gave her the last of his energy. It was so powerful it almost knocked us over.”

Typheus showed no signs of calming down or of listening to Cess at all. She sighed and doled out some instructions. “Viper, take Rolas back to her den. And both of you, keep an eye on her. Typheus and I will take care of Azor.”
QQnBZuq.gif
643gino.gif
@TheCell Day 23: Hysteria An excerpt from Azor’s [item=mystic healer’s reference]. Cess wrote it initially, and Azor added to it. Hysteria: exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion for excitement, especially among a group of people. Can be difficult to treat if the affected party is unwilling. Effective treatments include small amounts of coralclimber toxin and sleep. I’ve also dabbled in a substance called “alcohol”, but that seems to make it worse. Azor’s addition: I actually never thought about using hysteria in my cursings. It’s good to use on traditionalists who expect only things like burning rashes and pustules. Nope, just make them lose their minds. Paranoia is good for the same reason. Less effective on emotionless dragons like faes. Especially effective on mirror packs because it spreads like wildfire.
@TheCell Day 23: Hysteria
An excerpt from Azor’s . Cess wrote it initially, and Azor added to it.

Hysteria: exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion for excitement, especially among a group of people.

Can be difficult to treat if the affected party is unwilling. Effective treatments include small amounts of coralclimber toxin and sleep. I’ve also dabbled in a substance called “alcohol”, but that seems to make it worse.

Azor’s addition: I actually never thought about using hysteria in my cursings. It’s good to use on traditionalists who expect only things like burning rashes and pustules. Nope, just make them lose their minds. Paranoia is good for the same reason. Less effective on emotionless dragons like faes. Especially effective on mirror packs because it spreads like wildfire.
QQnBZuq.gif
643gino.gif
@TheCell Day 24: Jewels
Part Five of a 6-part story about Azor picking a symbol.

“So jewelry is a symbol? You’re already wearing jewelry.” Echidna said to Azor as they returned home from their bone picking excursion.
“Yeah, but it doesn’t really resonate with me? Like this necklace I found while traveling, on the ground. I cut my food on it and got hella fever.”
“And you kept it?”
“Yes. Same with these bracelets - I found some bendy metal so I made it into bracelets.”
“Resourceful. Tell me, boy, why did you bring up all these symbols if you weren’t interested in using them?”
Azor thought about it. She raised a valid point. “I guess I just thought you wanted to know all of them. You know, for future reference.” Even though I barely know them myself, he thought.

“Fair enough. What do the jewels represent?”
“Leadership, I think. Bejeweled Necromancers are generally the heads of clans.”
“Hah! I see why you don’t want that symbol now. You’d have to fight Typheus to the death to claim his spot, and no offense but he would win.”
“I KNOW he would! He has a slightly more than scary sword AND he has much more experience than me at fighting.”
“Hmm. I think we need to change that.” Seeing Azor’s look of horror, she added, “I know, I know you don’t like to kill. That’s fine. But you need to know how to defend yourself. We can start training after we figure out your symbol. Which, by the way, is taking far longer than it should.”
“It’s only taking so long because you’re desperate to help me do something that I can easily do myself.”
“Shut your face, son. Look, there’s the Wyrmwound. You ready to fly?”
Azor let out a hearty laugh at Echidna’s nonchalant reaction to the Wyrmwound. Any other dragon would be like ‘holy sh*t’ but she was just ‘hey look at that’. “Yes, let’s fly. There’s one more symbol that I remember, by the way.”
“OH MY PLAGUEBRINGER!” Echidna cried in mock protest as the duo took flight.
@TheCell Day 24: Jewels
Part Five of a 6-part story about Azor picking a symbol.

“So jewelry is a symbol? You’re already wearing jewelry.” Echidna said to Azor as they returned home from their bone picking excursion.
“Yeah, but it doesn’t really resonate with me? Like this necklace I found while traveling, on the ground. I cut my food on it and got hella fever.”
“And you kept it?”
“Yes. Same with these bracelets - I found some bendy metal so I made it into bracelets.”
“Resourceful. Tell me, boy, why did you bring up all these symbols if you weren’t interested in using them?”
Azor thought about it. She raised a valid point. “I guess I just thought you wanted to know all of them. You know, for future reference.” Even though I barely know them myself, he thought.

“Fair enough. What do the jewels represent?”
“Leadership, I think. Bejeweled Necromancers are generally the heads of clans.”
“Hah! I see why you don’t want that symbol now. You’d have to fight Typheus to the death to claim his spot, and no offense but he would win.”
“I KNOW he would! He has a slightly more than scary sword AND he has much more experience than me at fighting.”
“Hmm. I think we need to change that.” Seeing Azor’s look of horror, she added, “I know, I know you don’t like to kill. That’s fine. But you need to know how to defend yourself. We can start training after we figure out your symbol. Which, by the way, is taking far longer than it should.”
“It’s only taking so long because you’re desperate to help me do something that I can easily do myself.”
“Shut your face, son. Look, there’s the Wyrmwound. You ready to fly?”
Azor let out a hearty laugh at Echidna’s nonchalant reaction to the Wyrmwound. Any other dragon would be like ‘holy sh*t’ but she was just ‘hey look at that’. “Yes, let’s fly. There’s one more symbol that I remember, by the way.”
“OH MY PLAGUEBRINGER!” Echidna cried in mock protest as the duo took flight.
QQnBZuq.gif
643gino.gif
@TheCell Day Twenty-Five: Woe
The broods of the two monarchs often fell ill with plague - some eggs dying before they even hatched. But since his arrival, Azor has made it his duty to ensure the health of the hatchlings, and of the trainees that Delta brings home. Even though he and Delta were still on rocky ground.

Now, he sat crouched over a young mirror. He was the runt of his litter of five; the other four had already begun their training before they were to be sent away to continue the infection. It took only one look at the scrawny dragon to know that he most likely wasn’t going to make it, but Typheus insisted that he try. And he was determined to save this child no matter what it took.

For the first time, he failed.

Nothing he tried worked. The multiple diseased that wracked the hatchling’s body would not be withdrawn. With all that he pulled out of the body, it seemed like even more filled in the gaps.

He knew it was a lost cause. He couldn’t save this child.

The hatchling managed to squeak out some words between shallow breaths. “Am I going to die?” he said.

“You will go to somewhere much nicer than here,” Azor tried to comfort the dying child. “You will get special training somewhere else. Not here. Not in this terrible place.”

The mirror smiled weakly. “Good.”

That was his final word. He died quietly as Azor continued to work the disease out of his body.

How would he tell Typheus of his failure? He wasn’t sure how the leader would react. He was usually pretty chill, sure, but when he gets worked up he gets WORKED UP. It was frightening to see Typheus in berserker mode.

He didn’t have to wonder for much longer, as when he turned to leave the infirmary Typheus was right behind him.

Azor stared into the floor. “I’m sorry,” he started to explain.

Typheus calmly responded, “No. We already knew that he wouldn’t make it.”

“Then why did you need me to expend energy trying to cure something incurable?” Nothing was incurable to him. He just wasn’t given enough time to figure the disease out; the child could have been saved had he been called immediately. Denial spoke louder than acceptance.

“We wanted him to have a peaceful passing. You are the most comforting presence in this Spire, your personal aura radiates kindness. It’s because of your origins in the Sea that you aren’t so sharp-edged as the rest of us.”

Azor thought about that for a second. What about Botulinum? No, she was Ice, which would be even more rigid and stone-like than Plague. Delta was Arcane, but she was raised Plague… and poor Rolas had suffered enough that her heart had gone cold. He supposed that Typheus wasn’t wrong.

“I suppose you aren’t wrong,” he said.

“It brings myself and Echidna great woe to see our kin pass on so soon. He never had a chance to prove himself worthy. Too young, he was.” Azor silently nodded in agreement, choosing not to say the things like ‘he was a runt, he was already a failure’ that were seething in his mind.

“No matter. What’s done is done. Bring his body here, we are going to lay him to rest in the Wyrmwound.”

Azor shuddered at that thought, but went along anyway.
@TheCell Day Twenty-Five: Woe
The broods of the two monarchs often fell ill with plague - some eggs dying before they even hatched. But since his arrival, Azor has made it his duty to ensure the health of the hatchlings, and of the trainees that Delta brings home. Even though he and Delta were still on rocky ground.

Now, he sat crouched over a young mirror. He was the runt of his litter of five; the other four had already begun their training before they were to be sent away to continue the infection. It took only one look at the scrawny dragon to know that he most likely wasn’t going to make it, but Typheus insisted that he try. And he was determined to save this child no matter what it took.

For the first time, he failed.

Nothing he tried worked. The multiple diseased that wracked the hatchling’s body would not be withdrawn. With all that he pulled out of the body, it seemed like even more filled in the gaps.

He knew it was a lost cause. He couldn’t save this child.

The hatchling managed to squeak out some words between shallow breaths. “Am I going to die?” he said.

“You will go to somewhere much nicer than here,” Azor tried to comfort the dying child. “You will get special training somewhere else. Not here. Not in this terrible place.”

The mirror smiled weakly. “Good.”

That was his final word. He died quietly as Azor continued to work the disease out of his body.

How would he tell Typheus of his failure? He wasn’t sure how the leader would react. He was usually pretty chill, sure, but when he gets worked up he gets WORKED UP. It was frightening to see Typheus in berserker mode.

He didn’t have to wonder for much longer, as when he turned to leave the infirmary Typheus was right behind him.

Azor stared into the floor. “I’m sorry,” he started to explain.

Typheus calmly responded, “No. We already knew that he wouldn’t make it.”

“Then why did you need me to expend energy trying to cure something incurable?” Nothing was incurable to him. He just wasn’t given enough time to figure the disease out; the child could have been saved had he been called immediately. Denial spoke louder than acceptance.

“We wanted him to have a peaceful passing. You are the most comforting presence in this Spire, your personal aura radiates kindness. It’s because of your origins in the Sea that you aren’t so sharp-edged as the rest of us.”

Azor thought about that for a second. What about Botulinum? No, she was Ice, which would be even more rigid and stone-like than Plague. Delta was Arcane, but she was raised Plague… and poor Rolas had suffered enough that her heart had gone cold. He supposed that Typheus wasn’t wrong.

“I suppose you aren’t wrong,” he said.

“It brings myself and Echidna great woe to see our kin pass on so soon. He never had a chance to prove himself worthy. Too young, he was.” Azor silently nodded in agreement, choosing not to say the things like ‘he was a runt, he was already a failure’ that were seething in his mind.

“No matter. What’s done is done. Bring his body here, we are going to lay him to rest in the Wyrmwound.”

Azor shuddered at that thought, but went along anyway.
QQnBZuq.gif
643gino.gif
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 35