Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | harsh writing critiques (closed)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
@Gif

No worries!! That's totally understandable, honestly. Again, I'm really amazed that you can write and write well in a second language :0
@Gif

No worries!! That's totally understandable, honestly. Again, I'm really amazed that you can write and write well in a second language :0
lm7NGlm.png
@Egg (good broadcast message fgdhfgsh)
thank you!! im going to keep in mind what you said when i rework my stuff!
@Egg (good broadcast message fgdhfgsh)
thank you!! im going to keep in mind what you said when i rework my stuff!
6h4Ol4n.pngXiejUgd.pngvJUVQ0t.pngcGS2SD8.png
@crowworm

You're very welcome! Just keep writing :D

And hehe thank you! I'm very proud of it.
@crowworm

You're very welcome! Just keep writing :D

And hehe thank you! I'm very proud of it.
lm7NGlm.png
@Eiyora [b]Overall: [/b]Wow, I felt really bad for her as a character. You sure made her go through a lot! In your writing, your strength is that you have a really great sense of descriptions. That scene with her mauling the slave trader was painted very vividly in my mind and it made me shudder for a bit! For the critique, I want you to use more commas! They typically come before a ‘but’ or an ‘and’. While they aren’t required all the time, commas are especially important when you have two different actions that need to be separated. I also see what you mean by having awkward phrasing. I think what contributes most to that issue is that you use the wrong particle (to, in, at). I’ve pointed it out below where I could. I also spotted some comma splices (explained better below) but they were use infrequently enough that I don’t think it’s an issue. And last thing is to be careful of your tense changes. [b]Details:[/b] [quote]Perhaps it was because she was born on the day of lovers, everyone around her kept telling her wonderful stories of love. [/quote] You have a comma splice here! Essentially, it’s when connect what should be two sentences into one sentence and separate it with a comma. Easier way to correct it would be, as mentioned, to split it into two sentences right where the comma is. Alternatively, you can connect it with ‘or because’ right after the comma. [quote]However, what she encountered time and time again, was confinement, torture and abuse.[/quote] Second comma is unnecessary. [quote]Her relationships will start out happy, only to end up in total darkness.[/quote] Change ‘will’ to ‘would’. You’re in the past tense so you need to remain in the past tense. [quote]Maybe it was just bad luck but they always take advantage of her unconditional love and trust.[/quote] Change ‘take’ to ‘took’. Same thing as above. [quote]The seed of craziness has already been planted, now it's time to embrace it.[/quote] Again, past tense. ‘The seed of craziness had already been planted and now it was time to embrace it.’ [quote]And that was how Turquoise found her. Clutching a cleaver and repeatedly hacking small bits and pieces of flesh off a male dragon on a slaver's ship.[/quote] These are two separate sentences, but they would flow better if you connected it with a comma. [quote]He turned out to be the slave trader, who was strangely silent when his flesh was slowly sawed off. [/quote] Change ‘when’ to ‘while’. [quote]All the slave dragons on the ship was crowding around them and looking at Garnet with so much love as bits of flesh and blood was splattered onto their faces.[/quote] Change ‘was’ to ‘were’. Since you’re talking about dragons, plural, you need to use the plural of ‘was’. [quote]The slave trader was put to sleep as he never woke up from his state of blind worship while Garnet was kept with Turquoise.[/quote] Comma after ‘while’ is needed. [quote]Ruby enrolled Garnet into the same Dancing school that the Gemstone Dance Troupe attended, and she learned to control her powers through sword dancing. [/quote] The ‘dancing’ in ‘dancing school’ doesn’t need capitalization. [quote]As she got her powers under control, Garnet became more stable.[/quote] There’s nothing objectively wrong with this sentence, but perhaps think of a way to word it better/more eloquently than ‘got’. [quote]Being with the Dance Troupe also helped Garnet recover mentally, but the darkness within her was there to stay.[/quote] Same here, dance troupe doesn’t need to be capitalized. [quote]Every member have their own way of conducting the monthly dance rituals and Garnet knew right away what she wanted.[/quote] Change ‘have’ to ‘had’. [quote]For most of the time, Garnet will be travelling with Turquoise in her ship but once every month, she will travel on her own for a week. [/quote] It’s a bit jarring to have this in future tense all of a sudden. It’s better to just leave it in past tense. For example: ‘Most of the time, Garnet would be travelling with Turquoise aboard her ship, but once every month she would travel on her own for a week.’ [quote]Witness accounts were inconsistent but one thing was always present, they all felt brief but overwhelming, unconditional, uncontrollable love.[/quote] Two things about this sentence. The first thing is that you need a comma before the ‘but’. The second thing is that this is a comma splice, as I described in the first quote. The best way to fix this particular one is to replace the comma with an em dash (—).
@Eiyora

Overall: Wow, I felt really bad for her as a character. You sure made her go through a lot! In your writing, your strength is that you have a really great sense of descriptions. That scene with her mauling the slave trader was painted very vividly in my mind and it made me shudder for a bit!

For the critique, I want you to use more commas! They typically come before a ‘but’ or an ‘and’. While they aren’t required all the time, commas are especially important when you have two different actions that need to be separated. I also see what you mean by having awkward phrasing. I think what contributes most to that issue is that you use the wrong particle (to, in, at). I’ve pointed it out below where I could. I also spotted some comma splices (explained better below) but they were use infrequently enough that I don’t think it’s an issue.

And last thing is to be careful of your tense changes.

Details:
Quote:
Perhaps it was because she was born on the day of lovers, everyone around her kept telling her wonderful stories of love.

You have a comma splice here! Essentially, it’s when connect what should be two sentences into one sentence and separate it with a comma. Easier way to correct it would be, as mentioned, to split it into two sentences right where the comma is. Alternatively, you can connect it with ‘or because’ right after the comma.

Quote:
However, what she encountered time and time again, was confinement, torture and abuse.

Second comma is unnecessary.

Quote:
Her relationships will start out happy, only to end up in total darkness.

Change ‘will’ to ‘would’. You’re in the past tense so you need to remain in the past tense.

Quote:
Maybe it was just bad luck but they always take advantage of her unconditional love and trust.

Change ‘take’ to ‘took’. Same thing as above.

Quote:
The seed of craziness has already been planted, now it's time to embrace it.

Again, past tense. ‘The seed of craziness had already been planted and now it was time to embrace it.’

Quote:
And that was how Turquoise found her. Clutching a cleaver and repeatedly hacking small bits and pieces of flesh off a male dragon on a slaver's ship.

These are two separate sentences, but they would flow better if you connected it with a comma.

Quote:
He turned out to be the slave trader, who was strangely silent when his flesh was slowly sawed off.

Change ‘when’ to ‘while’.

Quote:
All the slave dragons on the ship was crowding around them and looking at Garnet with so much love as bits of flesh and blood was splattered onto their faces.

Change ‘was’ to ‘were’. Since you’re talking about dragons, plural, you need to use the plural of ‘was’.

Quote:
The slave trader was put to sleep as he never woke up from his state of blind worship while Garnet was kept with Turquoise.

Comma after ‘while’ is needed.

Quote:
Ruby enrolled Garnet into the same Dancing school that the Gemstone Dance Troupe attended, and she learned to control her powers through sword dancing.

The ‘dancing’ in ‘dancing school’ doesn’t need capitalization.

Quote:
As she got her powers under control, Garnet became more stable.

There’s nothing objectively wrong with this sentence, but perhaps think of a way to word it better/more eloquently than ‘got’.

Quote:
Being with the Dance Troupe also helped Garnet recover mentally, but the darkness within her was there to stay.

Same here, dance troupe doesn’t need to be capitalized.

Quote:
Every member have their own way of conducting the monthly dance rituals and Garnet knew right away what she wanted.

Change ‘have’ to ‘had’.

Quote:
For most of the time, Garnet will be travelling with Turquoise in her ship but once every month, she will travel on her own for a week.

It’s a bit jarring to have this in future tense all of a sudden. It’s better to just leave it in past tense. For example: ‘Most of the time, Garnet would be travelling with Turquoise aboard her ship, but once every month she would travel on her own for a week.’

Quote:
Witness accounts were inconsistent but one thing was always present, they all felt brief but overwhelming, unconditional, uncontrollable love.

Two things about this sentence. The first thing is that you need a comma before the ‘but’. The second thing is that this is a comma splice, as I described in the first quote. The best way to fix this particular one is to replace the comma with an em dash (—).
lm7NGlm.png
@Egg helo please absolutely wreck me. pretend you have a grudge against me, make me so ashamed of my writing that im stuck in writer's block for the next two years.

bam funky urban fantasy times

UHH some preliminary info: lana is ayer's sister, she's been missing and presumed dead for 7 years. "fish" is the name of ayer's cat. they're all employees at a magic shop

thank you v much in advance
@Egg helo please absolutely wreck me. pretend you have a grudge against me, make me so ashamed of my writing that im stuck in writer's block for the next two years.

bam funky urban fantasy times

UHH some preliminary info: lana is ayer's sister, she's been missing and presumed dead for 7 years. "fish" is the name of ayer's cat. they're all employees at a magic shop

thank you v much in advance
@Egg

Oh wow thank you! I didn't expect to be praised for my descriptions because I always thought I was bad at it, and included as little description as possible in my writing (that and I always skip descriptions when I am reading >w<). I am not sure if I should be happy or sorry because it made you shudder xD

I see :O I will try to use more commas, especially before 'but' and 'and' in my future writing :D! I will also try to take note of where I usually use the wrong particle and tenses, they always get left out when I check, usually because I don't know what to look out for and what to change them to. Thank you so much for telling me about comma splicing, I didn't know there was such a thing o-o! And I am always confused when to use a dash or a ; @_@
@Egg

Oh wow thank you! I didn't expect to be praised for my descriptions because I always thought I was bad at it, and included as little description as possible in my writing (that and I always skip descriptions when I am reading >w<). I am not sure if I should be happy or sorry because it made you shudder xD

I see :O I will try to use more commas, especially before 'but' and 'and' in my future writing :D! I will also try to take note of where I usually use the wrong particle and tenses, they always get left out when I check, usually because I don't know what to look out for and what to change them to. Thank you so much for telling me about comma splicing, I didn't know there was such a thing o-o! And I am always confused when to use a dash or a ; @_@
tumblr_pcy9tzjJvI1rwcniio9_r1_540.png
@Eiyora

You’re very welcome!

A dash is when you want to draw emphasis to a certain part of the sentence—like this! It can also be used if you want to insert a short idea into the sentence too! For example: ‘Garnet was raised with an unrealistically high impression of love—perhaps it was because she was born on the day of lovers—but...’

A semicolon is very rarely used, but you use it when you want to start another sentence, but don’t want to use a period; for example, like this!

Hope this helps!
@Eiyora

You’re very welcome!

A dash is when you want to draw emphasis to a certain part of the sentence—like this! It can also be used if you want to insert a short idea into the sentence too! For example: ‘Garnet was raised with an unrealistically high impression of love—perhaps it was because she was born on the day of lovers—but...’

A semicolon is very rarely used, but you use it when you want to start another sentence, but don’t want to use a period; for example, like this!

Hope this helps!
lm7NGlm.png
@Egg

Yup it helps alot!! Thank you <3!
@Egg

Yup it helps alot!! Thank you <3!
tumblr_pcy9tzjJvI1rwcniio9_r1_540.png
@Egg thank you!!! I'm not a very confident writer, and it was so great to hear your response. Also, I definitely start a lot of sentences with "then" and "so"—thanks for calling me out! That was the nicest harsh writing critique I have ever received :3
@Egg thank you!!! I'm not a very confident writer, and it was so great to hear your response. Also, I definitely start a lot of sentences with "then" and "so"—thanks for calling me out! That was the nicest harsh writing critique I have ever received :3
FVLARTi.png
@Egg
aa i've been wanting to write for my clan for a while but haven't had many ideas
i do have this however if you wanna critique that? just very the first post!!

just mess me up haha i wanna learn ;0;
@Egg
aa i've been wanting to write for my clan for a while but haven't had many ideas
i do have this however if you wanna critique that? just very the first post!!

just mess me up haha i wanna learn ;0;
SdIF9XK.gif..
raven
she/her • FR+0
» lore
» art shop
» adopts
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11