Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Art Tips
1 2
If you want help with making things even, e.g. eyes, then I suggest drawing faint straight lines after you've done one eye on where each section of the eye is (e.g. eyelid, pupil, bottom of eyelid). When I used to do more realistic eyes I did that to help me align my next eye, but now I do more cartoony eyes. Much easier lol.
If you want help with making things even, e.g. eyes, then I suggest drawing faint straight lines after you've done one eye on where each section of the eye is (e.g. eyelid, pupil, bottom of eyelid). When I used to do more realistic eyes I did that to help me align my next eye, but now I do more cartoony eyes. Much easier lol.
Draw from reference.

Draw from reference some more.

Simplify shapes to familiarize yourself with planes and how they interact to show volume.

Draw gesture sketches--from reference!

For very particular things, like fists, hands in certain positions, etc, your own body is your best reference. Take pictures of yourself, study the needed features in a mirror, etc.
Draw from reference.

Draw from reference some more.

Simplify shapes to familiarize yourself with planes and how they interact to show volume.

Draw gesture sketches--from reference!

For very particular things, like fists, hands in certain positions, etc, your own body is your best reference. Take pictures of yourself, study the needed features in a mirror, etc.
@Baelfin @AboveClouds @roadworthy @GadMammoth @PuffyRuffy @syrups

Thank you for the tips and hints.

Especially thanks to AboveClouds for the references.

I’ll definitely work on doing stick figures and I’ll try to find some anatomical art books. I’ll probably also try studying human facial expressions.

Any tips for sketching hair?
@Baelfin @AboveClouds @roadworthy @GadMammoth @PuffyRuffy @syrups

Thank you for the tips and hints.

Especially thanks to AboveClouds for the references.

I’ll definitely work on doing stick figures and I’ll try to find some anatomical art books. I’ll probably also try studying human facial expressions.

Any tips for sketching hair?
Jd88XNq.png
5hF3FGk.png
1BvAGFb.png
BTRr72z.png
XlHqN6d.png
nWiQNX9.png
M5XJPox.pngIDESRiU.pngInferno-pin-100x100.pngRS4uSiv.pngM5XJPox.png
JvUa9ma.png
uFMfy5S.png
woVoZAh.png
YMPbu9R.png
@LupusUncia

Re: hair--

Make sure you have the skull pretty firmly set in place before you start adding in hair, otherwise it's pretty easy for the hair to dictate headshape, rather than the actual bones.

I personally like to lay down the hairline before I add in any hair. This prevents me from either making the hairline crooked, or from having hair just... floating in space, above the skin.
@LupusUncia

Re: hair--

Make sure you have the skull pretty firmly set in place before you start adding in hair, otherwise it's pretty easy for the hair to dictate headshape, rather than the actual bones.

I personally like to lay down the hairline before I add in any hair. This prevents me from either making the hairline crooked, or from having hair just... floating in space, above the skin.
@roadworthy

Thanks!
@roadworthy

Thanks!
Jd88XNq.png
5hF3FGk.png
1BvAGFb.png
BTRr72z.png
XlHqN6d.png
nWiQNX9.png
M5XJPox.pngIDESRiU.pngInferno-pin-100x100.pngRS4uSiv.pngM5XJPox.png
JvUa9ma.png
uFMfy5S.png
woVoZAh.png
YMPbu9R.png
@LupusUncia

On hair, the best tip I can think to give you is this;

Don't draw every hair, on the other hand, the hair shouldn't be an undefined blob. Draw the general shape/position of the hair, and define the 'locks'. Area where the hair sort of moves together to form larger pieces of hair, it looks much more natural. Don't make your hair perfectly still- or flat, unless you're going for something completely stationary. If you're drawing a dynamic pose, it won't look real unless every part of the body is in movement with it, this includes the hair. Study pictures of people in movement, with the wind in their hair, with messy hair, with freshly combed hair. The upkeep of hair can add emotions to the piece, make you draw assumptions about the things a character enjoys and how they hold themselves.

Lastly, if you have lighting involved, make sure it extends to the hair as well. Shade the hair properly to add depth. It's rare that all of someone's hair appears to be at the same level/distance from you. Think about how it doesn't simply fall flat on your head, but rises sightly above, causing certain areas to be darker than others. Additionally it may also cast shadows on your face/other areas if particularly long.

Hope that helped with the hair, at least!
@LupusUncia

On hair, the best tip I can think to give you is this;

Don't draw every hair, on the other hand, the hair shouldn't be an undefined blob. Draw the general shape/position of the hair, and define the 'locks'. Area where the hair sort of moves together to form larger pieces of hair, it looks much more natural. Don't make your hair perfectly still- or flat, unless you're going for something completely stationary. If you're drawing a dynamic pose, it won't look real unless every part of the body is in movement with it, this includes the hair. Study pictures of people in movement, with the wind in their hair, with messy hair, with freshly combed hair. The upkeep of hair can add emotions to the piece, make you draw assumptions about the things a character enjoys and how they hold themselves.

Lastly, if you have lighting involved, make sure it extends to the hair as well. Shade the hair properly to add depth. It's rare that all of someone's hair appears to be at the same level/distance from you. Think about how it doesn't simply fall flat on your head, but rises sightly above, causing certain areas to be darker than others. Additionally it may also cast shadows on your face/other areas if particularly long.

Hope that helped with the hair, at least!
1 2