Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | | Nightlilac's 100 Scenes Challenge |
1 2
| Nightlilac's 100 Scenes Challenge |

Hello and welcome to my topic for Windstrike's 100 Scenes Challenge: FR Edition! Click on the name to bring you to the topic itself for more information if you'd like to take this challenge as well~

Here, I'll be posting my responses to each of the prompts in sequential order to further develop my clan's lore and keep my writing skills sharp. I should be updating more or less daily, so if you'd like to be notified when I post another response, just ask and I can add you to a pinglist.

If you like what I have here and would like to know more, feel free to check out my lore thread (onsite, less updated), and my lore site (offsite, more updated).
| Nightlilac's 100 Scenes Challenge |

Hello and welcome to my topic for Windstrike's 100 Scenes Challenge: FR Edition! Click on the name to bring you to the topic itself for more information if you'd like to take this challenge as well~

Here, I'll be posting my responses to each of the prompts in sequential order to further develop my clan's lore and keep my writing skills sharp. I should be updating more or less daily, so if you'd like to be notified when I post another response, just ask and I can add you to a pinglist.

If you like what I have here and would like to know more, feel free to check out my lore thread (onsite, less updated), and my lore site (offsite, more updated).
mirror_chib8.png
tumblr_n8h81aIYJy1si697do4_500.png
See a Mirror, pick it up, all week long you'll have
too many mirrors and no more food
help me please they're eating everything
On an unrelated note, if you have nice Mirrors to sell...
| Table of Contents |

S E T - P R O M P T S

Prompt #1: Describe a dragon’s reaction to getting rejected. [April 23, 2018]
Prompt #2: Describe your leader(s) messing up, big time. [April 24, 2018]
Prompt #3: Describe your dragons’ reaction to a natural disaster that happens on or near your clan’s territory. [April 25, 2018]
Prompt #4: Describe a hatchling’s escapades on a regular day in your clan. [April 26, 2018]
Prompt #5: Describe your leader’s (one of them, if multiple) least favorite task. [April 27, 2018]
Prompt #6: Describe how your clan was founded. [April 28, 2018]
Prompt #7: Describe how a dragon in your clan would react to a sudden thundershower that passes through your area. [April 29, 2018]
Prompt #8: Describe the most secret or inaccessible place in your clan’s territory, and tell why it became so secret or inaccessible. [April 30, 2018]
Prompt #9: Describe how a dragon would react to a beautiful sunset. [May 1, 2018]
Prompt #10: Describe a dragon’s favorite pastime or hobby. [May 2, 2018]
Prompt #33: Describe how exaltation of dragons works in your clan. [August 24, 2019]
Prompt #48: Describe how a dragon reacts to being mistaken for your clan’s leader (one of them, if multiple) by the ambassador of another clan. [December 28, 2018]

F L E X I B L E - P R O M P T S

Prompt #92: “Brace yourselves. ___ is coming.” [December 28, 2018]
| Table of Contents |

S E T - P R O M P T S

Prompt #1: Describe a dragon’s reaction to getting rejected. [April 23, 2018]
Prompt #2: Describe your leader(s) messing up, big time. [April 24, 2018]
Prompt #3: Describe your dragons’ reaction to a natural disaster that happens on or near your clan’s territory. [April 25, 2018]
Prompt #4: Describe a hatchling’s escapades on a regular day in your clan. [April 26, 2018]
Prompt #5: Describe your leader’s (one of them, if multiple) least favorite task. [April 27, 2018]
Prompt #6: Describe how your clan was founded. [April 28, 2018]
Prompt #7: Describe how a dragon in your clan would react to a sudden thundershower that passes through your area. [April 29, 2018]
Prompt #8: Describe the most secret or inaccessible place in your clan’s territory, and tell why it became so secret or inaccessible. [April 30, 2018]
Prompt #9: Describe how a dragon would react to a beautiful sunset. [May 1, 2018]
Prompt #10: Describe a dragon’s favorite pastime or hobby. [May 2, 2018]
Prompt #33: Describe how exaltation of dragons works in your clan. [August 24, 2019]
Prompt #48: Describe how a dragon reacts to being mistaken for your clan’s leader (one of them, if multiple) by the ambassador of another clan. [December 28, 2018]

F L E X I B L E - P R O M P T S

Prompt #92: “Brace yourselves. ___ is coming.” [December 28, 2018]
mirror_chib8.png
[April 23, 2018]
Word Count: 601
| Prompt #1: Describe a dragon’s reaction to getting rejected |

____The sky above the Shifting Expanse was awash with spotted clouds, but the horizon line was remarkably clear, lending itself to a brilliant orange and red light that flooded across the desert sand, coloring the world in its image. It was rivaled only by the brilliance of the female before him, the male knew. Her colors alone challenged the burning sun, just as fiery and defiant against the dark clouds. She was slender of figure, decorated in feathers and beads and confidence. With his muddied colors, he couldn’t help but feel like less than a shadow, unworthy of her brilliant light.
____ Her name was Carmen, and she was perfect in every way, every vocal inflection, every stifled laugh, every flick of her tail. Her voice, every single word was sweeter to his ears than honey. Every look that even passed over him melted him.
____ They were meant for each other. He knew it. Staring into her eyes, he could see everything laid out before him so clearly that it was painful.
____He’d asked the question. They were young, but they were in love, he knew. It was real. He could see it in her eyes. He could feel it every time she saw him, every time they spoke. All he needed was that one word, just that one word...
____...There was a pause, and then the word, but not the right word.
____“No.”
____ “No?” The Skydancer asked, his expression of hope and apprehension fading to disbelief and pain. “I don’t understand, I thought…”
____ Carmen’s cold stare watched him, impervious to his attempts to discern her emotions - regret? Sorrow? Anger?
____...Anything?
____ “Myrrine,” she said, her voice level and stern. It was all she needed to say, and they both knew it, but his pained silence drew her to speech. “You know as well as I do that this could never work.”
____ “This isn’t about… I can’t change that I-”
____ But she was had already turned to leave, the sparrow skulls upon her neck clinking together in tandem with the beads on her wings as she walked, tail flicking with agitation as she weaved effortlessly through the small spaces between the her clanmate’s tents.
____ Myrrine’s tail dropped into the dry dirt, nearly dragging behind him as he followed. “Carmen,” he called, but she wasn’t listening. “Carmen!” Her tail snapped only a claw’s length away from his face, and he reeled back but was undeterred. “Listen, I don’t care about all that breed-tradition crap. And you shouldn’t either. Does it really matter that-”
____ She cut him off, pivoting around and staring at him with each of her four eyes, scanning him coldly. “That you’re a Skydancer? That I’m a Mirror?” Her voice softened, “Myrrine. You know how long I’ve been working for this. I impressed the arbiter. My prospects are good for becoming one of Tenebrific’s proteges, maybe even the General’s. If the others saw me… us… I might never..." She trailed, looking around with frustration, "Look, don’t take this the wrong way, but a relationship with a Skydancer? You’d only be slowing me down.”
____ Without another word, Carmen turned, slipping between the next set of tents and leaving the poor Skydancer in stunned silence. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words, not even her name, could escape him. His nails dug into the sand and he swore he could scream, but even as anger welled up in him he knew there was nothing to do. His anger faded to sorrow, and he trudged away with head hung low, tail dragging, kicking up dust across the fading light of the setting sun.

[April 23, 2018]
Word Count: 601
| Prompt #1: Describe a dragon’s reaction to getting rejected |

____The sky above the Shifting Expanse was awash with spotted clouds, but the horizon line was remarkably clear, lending itself to a brilliant orange and red light that flooded across the desert sand, coloring the world in its image. It was rivaled only by the brilliance of the female before him, the male knew. Her colors alone challenged the burning sun, just as fiery and defiant against the dark clouds. She was slender of figure, decorated in feathers and beads and confidence. With his muddied colors, he couldn’t help but feel like less than a shadow, unworthy of her brilliant light.
____ Her name was Carmen, and she was perfect in every way, every vocal inflection, every stifled laugh, every flick of her tail. Her voice, every single word was sweeter to his ears than honey. Every look that even passed over him melted him.
____ They were meant for each other. He knew it. Staring into her eyes, he could see everything laid out before him so clearly that it was painful.
____He’d asked the question. They were young, but they were in love, he knew. It was real. He could see it in her eyes. He could feel it every time she saw him, every time they spoke. All he needed was that one word, just that one word...
____...There was a pause, and then the word, but not the right word.
____“No.”
____ “No?” The Skydancer asked, his expression of hope and apprehension fading to disbelief and pain. “I don’t understand, I thought…”
____ Carmen’s cold stare watched him, impervious to his attempts to discern her emotions - regret? Sorrow? Anger?
____...Anything?
____ “Myrrine,” she said, her voice level and stern. It was all she needed to say, and they both knew it, but his pained silence drew her to speech. “You know as well as I do that this could never work.”
____ “This isn’t about… I can’t change that I-”
____ But she was had already turned to leave, the sparrow skulls upon her neck clinking together in tandem with the beads on her wings as she walked, tail flicking with agitation as she weaved effortlessly through the small spaces between the her clanmate’s tents.
____ Myrrine’s tail dropped into the dry dirt, nearly dragging behind him as he followed. “Carmen,” he called, but she wasn’t listening. “Carmen!” Her tail snapped only a claw’s length away from his face, and he reeled back but was undeterred. “Listen, I don’t care about all that breed-tradition crap. And you shouldn’t either. Does it really matter that-”
____ She cut him off, pivoting around and staring at him with each of her four eyes, scanning him coldly. “That you’re a Skydancer? That I’m a Mirror?” Her voice softened, “Myrrine. You know how long I’ve been working for this. I impressed the arbiter. My prospects are good for becoming one of Tenebrific’s proteges, maybe even the General’s. If the others saw me… us… I might never..." She trailed, looking around with frustration, "Look, don’t take this the wrong way, but a relationship with a Skydancer? You’d only be slowing me down.”
____ Without another word, Carmen turned, slipping between the next set of tents and leaving the poor Skydancer in stunned silence. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words, not even her name, could escape him. His nails dug into the sand and he swore he could scream, but even as anger welled up in him he knew there was nothing to do. His anger faded to sorrow, and he trudged away with head hung low, tail dragging, kicking up dust across the fading light of the setting sun.

mirror_chib8.png
[April 24, 2018]
Word Count: 735
| Prompt #2: Describe your leader(s) messing up, big time |

Moon's Rise | Approximately four hours before the events of the Night of Flames

____ The ground nearly seemed to shake as the fold of the seer’s tent was thrashed aside, revealing the stonewash body and midnight wings of the General, scant moonlight gleaming off of each of the ridges on her ashen chestplate. Her face was already contorted into a snarl, the upward pull of her maw distorting the placement of the scar that ran over the larger of her two left eyes.
____ The Mirror lumbered in, head held high and angry, wings flaring out to her side. The tent’s inhabitants, some five to ten seers, each bowed their heads low, making no eye contact.
____ All, it seemed, except two.
____ General Athanasia’s voice came low, in a growl that rolled like thunder down the open desert as she addressed the blue and purple male and grey and blue female. “Captains.” Her eyes traced over each of the figures of each of the other seers, clad in their hoods and the garb of mystics. “We shall have this place to ourselves.” A few eyes dared to wander up, looking at first to her, and then to the Captains. “That is an order!”
____ Her bellow swiftly dismissed the unremarkables, and finally, the General’s attention turned to the Captains alone.
____ “My General,” the male said, his voice measured. He dipped his head slightly, but did not bow or cower before her. “Have we done something to anger you?”
____ “Do not speak with such insolence,” she hissed, holding her ground to block their exit. “Not one, but three patrols recalled from the forest! Ambassador merchants from Blacksand Annex nearly turned away at our borders! If I did not know better, I would think that you plan to undermine my authority.”
____ They two Captains shared a nervous glance before the female took a step forward. “We meant no disrespect, General. We only meant to ensure that we do not make rash decisions about this guardian clan. They refused to pay. Perhaps the better option is to attempt renegotiation of our deal with them, not war.”
____ Athanasia snorted an angry laugh. “War - ha! It shall be a slaughter! Do you really think they would renegotiate? They are pompous tree-skulkers, surrounded on all sides by food and riches while we must work night and day to keep ourselves fed. Our price too high? I think not! Mark my words, they are greedy, eager to cheat us out of a hard week’s worth of pay.” Her head rose higher. “Did our own comrades not do their job and do it well? Risking their lives for the protection of those who would dare disrespect us!”
____ “Athanasia,” The male cautioned, “We did not pull the patrols or stop the merchants without good reason. We have been warned of the fatefulness of this day. Each of the seers can feel it in their bones, in the depths of their souls. I doubt any dragon with even the barest sliver of magic in their blood does not feel it. The very earth seeps it into our feet. If you go through with this, you shall bring ruin upon not only yourself, but upon your clan.You trusted our judgement before. Trust us now. The Order shall suffer. I beg of you, for the future of our clan-”
____ The General’s wings shot out again, cutting Captain Cryptesthesia mid-sentence. There was a pause as she glared upon them, shifting her gaze between the two. Finally, she turned.
____ “I have no further use for your petty concerns.”
____“Athanasia!”
____The female pushed back into the moonlit camp, ignoring the hounding of her subordinate seers as her voice bellowed out across the desert, rousing the restless ranks of her clan to attention. “Tenebrific, Amain, prepare the warriors for battle! We leave for the forest before moon's peak, tonight! They shall know our wrath!”
____A great cry rang out into the air, charged with excitement and savagery.
____“Athanasia…” Cryptesthesia’s voice spoke just beside her, his face awash with fear and disbelief. Fear, disbelief, and betrayal.
____She gave him only a glare before turning her head back to the ranks of her clan as they assembled themselves, a brilliant machine of war, each cog and wheel moving in perfect, wild synchronization. A fire burned behind her eyes, driving each step towards the forest, driving each of her warriors to take up arms with her, and consuming the forest and its inhabitants, leaving behind nothing but ash and cinder.

[April 24, 2018]
Word Count: 735
| Prompt #2: Describe your leader(s) messing up, big time |

Moon's Rise | Approximately four hours before the events of the Night of Flames

____ The ground nearly seemed to shake as the fold of the seer’s tent was thrashed aside, revealing the stonewash body and midnight wings of the General, scant moonlight gleaming off of each of the ridges on her ashen chestplate. Her face was already contorted into a snarl, the upward pull of her maw distorting the placement of the scar that ran over the larger of her two left eyes.
____ The Mirror lumbered in, head held high and angry, wings flaring out to her side. The tent’s inhabitants, some five to ten seers, each bowed their heads low, making no eye contact.
____ All, it seemed, except two.
____ General Athanasia’s voice came low, in a growl that rolled like thunder down the open desert as she addressed the blue and purple male and grey and blue female. “Captains.” Her eyes traced over each of the figures of each of the other seers, clad in their hoods and the garb of mystics. “We shall have this place to ourselves.” A few eyes dared to wander up, looking at first to her, and then to the Captains. “That is an order!”
____ Her bellow swiftly dismissed the unremarkables, and finally, the General’s attention turned to the Captains alone.
____ “My General,” the male said, his voice measured. He dipped his head slightly, but did not bow or cower before her. “Have we done something to anger you?”
____ “Do not speak with such insolence,” she hissed, holding her ground to block their exit. “Not one, but three patrols recalled from the forest! Ambassador merchants from Blacksand Annex nearly turned away at our borders! If I did not know better, I would think that you plan to undermine my authority.”
____ They two Captains shared a nervous glance before the female took a step forward. “We meant no disrespect, General. We only meant to ensure that we do not make rash decisions about this guardian clan. They refused to pay. Perhaps the better option is to attempt renegotiation of our deal with them, not war.”
____ Athanasia snorted an angry laugh. “War - ha! It shall be a slaughter! Do you really think they would renegotiate? They are pompous tree-skulkers, surrounded on all sides by food and riches while we must work night and day to keep ourselves fed. Our price too high? I think not! Mark my words, they are greedy, eager to cheat us out of a hard week’s worth of pay.” Her head rose higher. “Did our own comrades not do their job and do it well? Risking their lives for the protection of those who would dare disrespect us!”
____ “Athanasia,” The male cautioned, “We did not pull the patrols or stop the merchants without good reason. We have been warned of the fatefulness of this day. Each of the seers can feel it in their bones, in the depths of their souls. I doubt any dragon with even the barest sliver of magic in their blood does not feel it. The very earth seeps it into our feet. If you go through with this, you shall bring ruin upon not only yourself, but upon your clan.You trusted our judgement before. Trust us now. The Order shall suffer. I beg of you, for the future of our clan-”
____ The General’s wings shot out again, cutting Captain Cryptesthesia mid-sentence. There was a pause as she glared upon them, shifting her gaze between the two. Finally, she turned.
____ “I have no further use for your petty concerns.”
____“Athanasia!”
____The female pushed back into the moonlit camp, ignoring the hounding of her subordinate seers as her voice bellowed out across the desert, rousing the restless ranks of her clan to attention. “Tenebrific, Amain, prepare the warriors for battle! We leave for the forest before moon's peak, tonight! They shall know our wrath!”
____A great cry rang out into the air, charged with excitement and savagery.
____“Athanasia…” Cryptesthesia’s voice spoke just beside her, his face awash with fear and disbelief. Fear, disbelief, and betrayal.
____She gave him only a glare before turning her head back to the ranks of her clan as they assembled themselves, a brilliant machine of war, each cog and wheel moving in perfect, wild synchronization. A fire burned behind her eyes, driving each step towards the forest, driving each of her warriors to take up arms with her, and consuming the forest and its inhabitants, leaving behind nothing but ash and cinder.

mirror_chib8.png
[April 25 2018]
Word Count: 868
| Prompt #3: Describe your dragons’ reaction to a natural disaster that happens on or near your clan’s territory |

____The sun glared down upon the shifting desert, light gleaming off of the grains of sand and casting mirages of water into the distance. Across a stretch of the desert, a large procession of Mirrors advanced en mass, their ranks surrounded by those of Imperials swathed in equipment that rattled and clanged with each goliath step.
____ On a mesa nearby, twin Mirrors surveyed the scene below, their breathing encased within the metallic and copper plates upon their noses. Their eyes blinked behind colored goggles, shaded by stretches of desert colored fabric connected to small stores of electricity.
____“Road to Outpost 10 looks clear,” Mahara, the female, commented, “No beastclan activity, no signs of draconic life.” She was the elder of the two, and the larger, but both were matched in their skill. Her claws gripped the edge of the mesa, crouching down and bringing her wings close to her sides. Her brother Jarith did so as well, lifting his head to the breeze catching his tattered garb.
____There was a scent in the air of dust and heat, and he gave a look of concern to his sister. “I don’t like that wind.”
____“What are you thinking?” Her gaze never left the Order traveling below, the General, Captains, and Immortal Guard marking the head of the advance.
____“Sandstorm,” he said, “No doubt. We need to warn them before it starts up - we might be able to get them all leeward and in position to wait out the storm.”
____Mahara stood, spreading out her wings. “I doubt the General will have them stop. We can still warn them - it’ll do them and the supplies good. Come on!”
____The female leapt off, her brother close behind as they both glided down to the desert below, landing at a sprinting speed towards the Order. They came upon them shortly, calling out, “General!”
____Athanasia did not slow in her pace, as she asked, “What news, comrades?”
____“No beasts and no dragons en route, but the winds are ripe for a sandstorm,” Jarith reported, looking in the distance and sure that he was starting to see the building wall of loose sand beginning to rise.
____General Athanasia nodded curtly, turning her head towards the perpetual storm gathering at the Spire and lingering around the lightning field. “Outpost Ten is on the other side of the lightning field,” she spoke, “If the sandstorm hits there, we will have more to contend with than just flying dirt. Good reporting, twins. You are dismissed.” The female turned to grey and green Mirror at her side, clad in a silver and red armor that still reflected well, although partially worn from battle. “Anthophilous, gather the scouts and climbers. Anyone that can secure a rope. We do not have resources to lose.”
____“My general, will we not be stopping?”
____“No, comrade,” her voice was stern, determined. “We must reach Outpost 10 by sundown. It is imperative that we stay on schedule. Go quickly,” she urged, seeming to have noticed the building sand.
____The female vanished into the crowd, Mahara and Jarith following after her.
____Within minutes, each of the Imperial supply carriers had been secured and resecured again, and news of the approaching sandstorm had spread throughout the ranks. They were just entering the lightning field, rods and spires jutting out of the earth and into the charged sky. They were beginning to enter clouded territory, although the sun’s light on the rest of the territory was still quite visible. A hot wind was still approaching, filling the air with dust particles. Not so distant, there was little mistaking the orangish brown cloud of sand filled air rapidly approaching.
____The wind began picking up dramatically, and not long after, the brunt of the cloud struck at full force, turning the air brown and filling it with fine, violent sand that ricocheted off the skin and armor of the members of the Order. Some of the more lightweight dragons found themselves pushed sideways, visibility diminished to less than a tail length in any direction. The roar of the sand drowned out any attempts of orders, but the directive was clear - keep moving.
____The dragons pushed their feet and claws into the sand, pushing forward against the force of the storm.
____Every now and then lightning would strike out in the darkness, illuminating frightening shapes of clanmates and mesas as the storm blew through. The Nestwatchers each gazed out from their skull masks, taking careful head count of each of the hatchlings and protecting the eyes and noses of those that could not do it themselves.
____Lightning struck nearby and a piece of one of the mesas shot just past one of the Skydancer’s faces, nearly shocking her into losing her grip. Mahara and Jarith remained side by side, their tails entwined to keep track of each other, a practice that was fairly common between members of the Order.
____It would be hours before the sand would subside, revealing sundown on the stormy horizon. Hours before they would be able to take a headcount once again, empty their equipment of sand and take note of what they had lost to the winds and harsh conditions.
____But for now, they endured.

[April 25 2018]
Word Count: 868
| Prompt #3: Describe your dragons’ reaction to a natural disaster that happens on or near your clan’s territory |

____The sun glared down upon the shifting desert, light gleaming off of the grains of sand and casting mirages of water into the distance. Across a stretch of the desert, a large procession of Mirrors advanced en mass, their ranks surrounded by those of Imperials swathed in equipment that rattled and clanged with each goliath step.
____ On a mesa nearby, twin Mirrors surveyed the scene below, their breathing encased within the metallic and copper plates upon their noses. Their eyes blinked behind colored goggles, shaded by stretches of desert colored fabric connected to small stores of electricity.
____“Road to Outpost 10 looks clear,” Mahara, the female, commented, “No beastclan activity, no signs of draconic life.” She was the elder of the two, and the larger, but both were matched in their skill. Her claws gripped the edge of the mesa, crouching down and bringing her wings close to her sides. Her brother Jarith did so as well, lifting his head to the breeze catching his tattered garb.
____There was a scent in the air of dust and heat, and he gave a look of concern to his sister. “I don’t like that wind.”
____“What are you thinking?” Her gaze never left the Order traveling below, the General, Captains, and Immortal Guard marking the head of the advance.
____“Sandstorm,” he said, “No doubt. We need to warn them before it starts up - we might be able to get them all leeward and in position to wait out the storm.”
____Mahara stood, spreading out her wings. “I doubt the General will have them stop. We can still warn them - it’ll do them and the supplies good. Come on!”
____The female leapt off, her brother close behind as they both glided down to the desert below, landing at a sprinting speed towards the Order. They came upon them shortly, calling out, “General!”
____Athanasia did not slow in her pace, as she asked, “What news, comrades?”
____“No beasts and no dragons en route, but the winds are ripe for a sandstorm,” Jarith reported, looking in the distance and sure that he was starting to see the building wall of loose sand beginning to rise.
____General Athanasia nodded curtly, turning her head towards the perpetual storm gathering at the Spire and lingering around the lightning field. “Outpost Ten is on the other side of the lightning field,” she spoke, “If the sandstorm hits there, we will have more to contend with than just flying dirt. Good reporting, twins. You are dismissed.” The female turned to grey and green Mirror at her side, clad in a silver and red armor that still reflected well, although partially worn from battle. “Anthophilous, gather the scouts and climbers. Anyone that can secure a rope. We do not have resources to lose.”
____“My general, will we not be stopping?”
____“No, comrade,” her voice was stern, determined. “We must reach Outpost 10 by sundown. It is imperative that we stay on schedule. Go quickly,” she urged, seeming to have noticed the building sand.
____The female vanished into the crowd, Mahara and Jarith following after her.
____Within minutes, each of the Imperial supply carriers had been secured and resecured again, and news of the approaching sandstorm had spread throughout the ranks. They were just entering the lightning field, rods and spires jutting out of the earth and into the charged sky. They were beginning to enter clouded territory, although the sun’s light on the rest of the territory was still quite visible. A hot wind was still approaching, filling the air with dust particles. Not so distant, there was little mistaking the orangish brown cloud of sand filled air rapidly approaching.
____The wind began picking up dramatically, and not long after, the brunt of the cloud struck at full force, turning the air brown and filling it with fine, violent sand that ricocheted off the skin and armor of the members of the Order. Some of the more lightweight dragons found themselves pushed sideways, visibility diminished to less than a tail length in any direction. The roar of the sand drowned out any attempts of orders, but the directive was clear - keep moving.
____The dragons pushed their feet and claws into the sand, pushing forward against the force of the storm.
____Every now and then lightning would strike out in the darkness, illuminating frightening shapes of clanmates and mesas as the storm blew through. The Nestwatchers each gazed out from their skull masks, taking careful head count of each of the hatchlings and protecting the eyes and noses of those that could not do it themselves.
____Lightning struck nearby and a piece of one of the mesas shot just past one of the Skydancer’s faces, nearly shocking her into losing her grip. Mahara and Jarith remained side by side, their tails entwined to keep track of each other, a practice that was fairly common between members of the Order.
____It would be hours before the sand would subside, revealing sundown on the stormy horizon. Hours before they would be able to take a headcount once again, empty their equipment of sand and take note of what they had lost to the winds and harsh conditions.
____But for now, they endured.

mirror_chib8.png
[April 26, 2018]
Word Count: 921
| Prompt #4: Describe a hatchling’s escapades on a regular day in your clan |

____ It was just morning now, the sun already having breached from behind the ocean and lifted itself high enough to begin casting light upon Outpost Ten’s position near the water. Amongst the other tents and generators, one larger tent stood closer to the center, watched over by two Mirror guards at the entrances.
____ Within, eggs of various sizes were grouped by wires, fae dragons watched behind sparrow skulls, and a brown and orange hatchling named Matthew was facing off with a younger female.
____ He leapt at her, tackling her to the ground and into one of the other hatchlings that had been watching, Neatnik. The blue and grey boy yelped and kicked the two away as they continued to wrestle, taking bites at each other’s necks and scratching the other’s body. The female, Brivet, bit hard into his fin, and Matthew dropped to the ground hard to shake her off. She was quite small, but resilient all the same.
____ Brivet let go just before she was crushed under his weight, popping back up a tail length away as Matthew snapped, “Give it up, Briv. You’re only in the order because your big sisters are. Why would anybody actually want a runt!?” There was snickering from the sidelines of other Mirrors hatchlings. Each were but days old and already marked with scratches and scrapes given to them by the others. Some were the offspring of warriors and hunters in the clan, while others had been bought or traded for from near and far.
____ “You take that back!” She snapped at him, getting a good swipe across his nose before he bat her away.
____“Make me!” The female was too easily provoked, and he sidestepped her enraged attacks easily, only serving to further infuriate her. She finally got in another good bite on his shoulder before he grabbed her wing and shook her around until she let go.
____ Matthew was one of the newer boys, rowdy and unkempt as each of the others, but he was quickly becoming the best fighter in the tent, and the rest of them all knew it. He’d formed something of a following in the few days since his arrival.
____ “You show her what for, Mat-” Neatnik’s voice was cut off as he coughed, and all of the tent went quiet, hatchlings quickly backing away from him. He cleared his throat, looking around with apprehension in those cyan eyes as each of the four nestwatchers swooped down, hovering around him with interest.
____ “Matthew,” the monotone voice belonging to Alvilda spoke, “Find us the Arbiter and Medic Rhapsodic. Quickly. The rest of you, outside.”
____ Matthew nodded, not even pausing to sneer at Brivet before dashing into the crowded roads of camp and making his way to the general’s tent, where he knew the Arbiter was more likely to be.
____ “Matthew? What’s wrong?” Rhapsodic’s soft voice asked, coming upon him from the side. She seemed to have already detected his mixture of emotions, and he looked back to the nursery tent.
____ “Neatnik’s coughed. You should go check it out.”
____ The Skydancer bristled, quickly heading back to the tent as Matthew pushed on, pulling himself onto the raised pedestal that indicated the general’s and captain’s tents. He noted Virion barking orders at a procession of warriors and Internecine having indistinguishable words with an Ambassador from Light Flight. He held his head a little higher, still in pain from Brivet’s assault and doing his best not to show it as Zenith, the Arbiter, came into view.
____ His imposing form was strung with dark and strung with greens, making him quite noticeable at any time of the day or night. Upon seeing him, the Mirror approached, leaning his large body down to get a look at the boy. His breath was hot and disgusting in Matthew’s nostrils. “You’ve been in a tussle, have you? Come to show off your battle scars?”
____ “Neatnik’s sick,” Matthew answered only, doing his best to constrain himself around the Arbiter.
____ There was a sound as if laughter, rumbling up from the dark Mirror’s throat. “Do curb your enthusiasm, small one. I sense your fear, and I sense your happiness. Fear that you may be sick, and happiness that another of your competition will no longer be an issue, perhaps?” He made a gruff, huffing noise. “Ha - I see much to your future, young comrade.” He leaned his face away, taking long strides back towards the tent with the younger Mirror following.
____ Each of the hatchlings peered inside, although they all knew what was going on. Neatnik was coughing in fits, his breathing beginning to come in rasping gasps. Breathrot, some called it. Hatchlingrot to others, for it had claimed the lives of many of the Order’s young and continued to do so. There was no cause, no cure. Neatnik would be dead by next sunrise, and there was little to debate on the matter.
____ Amongst the hatchlings outside, there was a clear sense of fear, scant few for Neatnik’s health. The hatchlings that had stood beside him stepped around anxiously, their nostrils widened as they tested their lungs for infection. Both Matthew and Brivet watched each other, knowing they had knocked into him.
____ Although they didn’t know it at the time, they would lose three more hatchlings to breathrot before the week’s end, and with each that fell there was a new sense of fear, and a growing sense of cruel happiness, knowing that with each hatchling that fell, those that remained were one step closer to power.

[April 26, 2018]
Word Count: 921
| Prompt #4: Describe a hatchling’s escapades on a regular day in your clan |

____ It was just morning now, the sun already having breached from behind the ocean and lifted itself high enough to begin casting light upon Outpost Ten’s position near the water. Amongst the other tents and generators, one larger tent stood closer to the center, watched over by two Mirror guards at the entrances.
____ Within, eggs of various sizes were grouped by wires, fae dragons watched behind sparrow skulls, and a brown and orange hatchling named Matthew was facing off with a younger female.
____ He leapt at her, tackling her to the ground and into one of the other hatchlings that had been watching, Neatnik. The blue and grey boy yelped and kicked the two away as they continued to wrestle, taking bites at each other’s necks and scratching the other’s body. The female, Brivet, bit hard into his fin, and Matthew dropped to the ground hard to shake her off. She was quite small, but resilient all the same.
____ Brivet let go just before she was crushed under his weight, popping back up a tail length away as Matthew snapped, “Give it up, Briv. You’re only in the order because your big sisters are. Why would anybody actually want a runt!?” There was snickering from the sidelines of other Mirrors hatchlings. Each were but days old and already marked with scratches and scrapes given to them by the others. Some were the offspring of warriors and hunters in the clan, while others had been bought or traded for from near and far.
____ “You take that back!” She snapped at him, getting a good swipe across his nose before he bat her away.
____“Make me!” The female was too easily provoked, and he sidestepped her enraged attacks easily, only serving to further infuriate her. She finally got in another good bite on his shoulder before he grabbed her wing and shook her around until she let go.
____ Matthew was one of the newer boys, rowdy and unkempt as each of the others, but he was quickly becoming the best fighter in the tent, and the rest of them all knew it. He’d formed something of a following in the few days since his arrival.
____ “You show her what for, Mat-” Neatnik’s voice was cut off as he coughed, and all of the tent went quiet, hatchlings quickly backing away from him. He cleared his throat, looking around with apprehension in those cyan eyes as each of the four nestwatchers swooped down, hovering around him with interest.
____ “Matthew,” the monotone voice belonging to Alvilda spoke, “Find us the Arbiter and Medic Rhapsodic. Quickly. The rest of you, outside.”
____ Matthew nodded, not even pausing to sneer at Brivet before dashing into the crowded roads of camp and making his way to the general’s tent, where he knew the Arbiter was more likely to be.
____ “Matthew? What’s wrong?” Rhapsodic’s soft voice asked, coming upon him from the side. She seemed to have already detected his mixture of emotions, and he looked back to the nursery tent.
____ “Neatnik’s coughed. You should go check it out.”
____ The Skydancer bristled, quickly heading back to the tent as Matthew pushed on, pulling himself onto the raised pedestal that indicated the general’s and captain’s tents. He noted Virion barking orders at a procession of warriors and Internecine having indistinguishable words with an Ambassador from Light Flight. He held his head a little higher, still in pain from Brivet’s assault and doing his best not to show it as Zenith, the Arbiter, came into view.
____ His imposing form was strung with dark and strung with greens, making him quite noticeable at any time of the day or night. Upon seeing him, the Mirror approached, leaning his large body down to get a look at the boy. His breath was hot and disgusting in Matthew’s nostrils. “You’ve been in a tussle, have you? Come to show off your battle scars?”
____ “Neatnik’s sick,” Matthew answered only, doing his best to constrain himself around the Arbiter.
____ There was a sound as if laughter, rumbling up from the dark Mirror’s throat. “Do curb your enthusiasm, small one. I sense your fear, and I sense your happiness. Fear that you may be sick, and happiness that another of your competition will no longer be an issue, perhaps?” He made a gruff, huffing noise. “Ha - I see much to your future, young comrade.” He leaned his face away, taking long strides back towards the tent with the younger Mirror following.
____ Each of the hatchlings peered inside, although they all knew what was going on. Neatnik was coughing in fits, his breathing beginning to come in rasping gasps. Breathrot, some called it. Hatchlingrot to others, for it had claimed the lives of many of the Order’s young and continued to do so. There was no cause, no cure. Neatnik would be dead by next sunrise, and there was little to debate on the matter.
____ Amongst the hatchlings outside, there was a clear sense of fear, scant few for Neatnik’s health. The hatchlings that had stood beside him stepped around anxiously, their nostrils widened as they tested their lungs for infection. Both Matthew and Brivet watched each other, knowing they had knocked into him.
____ Although they didn’t know it at the time, they would lose three more hatchlings to breathrot before the week’s end, and with each that fell there was a new sense of fear, and a growing sense of cruel happiness, knowing that with each hatchling that fell, those that remained were one step closer to power.

mirror_chib8.png
[April 27, 2018]
Word Count: 986
| Prompt #5: Describe your leader’s (one of them, if multiple) least favorite task |

____This is always the worst part, Athanasia thought to herself, giving an exasperated sigh as she picked pieces of meat from between her teeth. She was not a negotiator by nature and never had been - not in the manner of normal diplomatic relations, at least. She could strongarm a Guardian out of their charge, but keeping the peace between clans and flights was quite simply not her forte.
____ She had resolved to give the burden of such dealings to Internecine, who seemed to quite enjoy it, but the younger Mirror was away at the moment on more important business.
____ Finally it seemed, there was a commotion outside and a sound of approaching dragons. The general exited her tent, seeing the glowing orbs that marked the Light Ambassadors’ convoy. They knew better than to approach unarmed, but Athanasia was not foolish enough to allow their forces to freely enter the campgrounds and everyone knew it. The procession was stopped at the gate, their glittering gold banners and trinkets casting a glow upon the sand that was unmistakable to their flight’s colors. At its head were two Pearlcatchers, adorned in sashes and wreathed in light, looking flustered at the gathering crowd of mercenaries blocking their path.
____ “Your General will hear about this insubordination! You will move at once for the Ambassadors of the Light Flight!” One was squawking, huffing at a collection of Mirror warriors watching him intently. The other was waiting impatiently, looking down her nose at the dirty dragons all around her, although she was not exactly large enough to quite make it look right. Her tail twitched in agitation and apprehension.
____ The crowds parted for Athanasia as she neared, her figure imposing and ominous. “They are my dragons. They will follow my rules. You did not think me so soft as to allow your warriors within my premises, did you?” She stopped when she was directly in front of them, and the male was not so eager to squawk anymore.
____ His fluster faded to faked courtesy. “You must be General Athanasia, most esteemed. We have heard much of your e-”
____ “Silence,” she snapped, the Light warriors sharing glances and shifting their weight as the ranks of the Order tensed. “I have little time and less attention to devote to your words. If you wish to use both wisely, then you will follow me, and you will leave your guard here.” The female opened her mouth, but a swift gesture of Athanasia’s wing stopped her. “I am not the one here who needs to be diplomatic, ambassador.” She turned, hearing the Pearlcatchers follow after her hesitantly, back to her tent, where she waited for them to speak.
____ The female cleared her throat, “We of the Light Flight are dragons of research and understanding, civilized, to the say the least.” Her eyes wandered for a second to the savage tent and discarded bones lying about. “But it is no secret to us or you that there are some things upon which light does not shine. In recent times, the elements have…”
____ The female continued speaking, her pompous voice droning on endlessly of the tensions between plague and nature, the new crystals in arcane territory, and so on. Athanasia barely caught the mention of the new generator being built in Lightning territory, unwilling to devote a large amount of attention to the Pearlcatcher’s blabber. Her claws tapped impatiently in the sand, staring down the two Ambassadors with disgust and annoyance.
____ Finally, the male seemed to have realized how thin of a line they had already begun pushing, cutting off the female and saying, “T-the point is, things have been changing. With that Emperor roaming about Light territory, we can no longer tolerate even the smallest infringements upon our borders if we are to be taken seriously. You understand, of course.”
____ “The point, now.” Athanasia had begun picking food from her teeth again, still watching them without blinking.
____ “O-Of course. You are a nomadic tribe, yes? One of your outposts is practically adjacent to our flight’s land, and your return to it is consistently marked by a sharp decrease in available food for every nearby Light clan, as your hunters care very little for borders. We would ask that you stay out of that outpost, or that you do not hunt within our borders, as a move of peace between all clans involved.”
____ “Make me an offer,” she growled, insulted.
____ “We offer but our friendship and alliance and ask for only that in return - and understanding.”
____ Athanasia was infuriated. “We follow the food. That is our livelihood. Do you ask me to starve my clan because those that you represent cannot expand their own hunting ranges?”
____ The two seemed to have realized their mistake, both backing up a step. “General Athanasia, there are more important things than just your clan. We understand that-”
____ The general shook her head, flaring her wings out to either side. “Get out! I’ll not be insulted by two overgrown, pompous clams that think they can demand anything of me.”
____ “G-”
____ “Unless you don’t want to keep those precious pearls of yours, I suggest you leave, now!”
____ They huffed, but left quickly, taking their guard with them and moving back out of sight.
____ Athanasia spat in their direction, retreating back into her tent and remembering the times when the Order was but a few dragons, each one starving and thirsty. Treaty after treaty, deal after deal, the story was always the same, another clan just looking to take advantage of their food and water situation. Jobs in exchange for food and water, always too much work and too little reward, but never anything she could do about it.
____ But the Order had grown.
____ Her clan had grown.
____ She would not sacrifice a single scrap in service to dragons that hadn’t worked as long as she had.
____Athanasia was nobody’s fool and nobody’s victim.

[April 27, 2018]
Word Count: 986
| Prompt #5: Describe your leader’s (one of them, if multiple) least favorite task |

____This is always the worst part, Athanasia thought to herself, giving an exasperated sigh as she picked pieces of meat from between her teeth. She was not a negotiator by nature and never had been - not in the manner of normal diplomatic relations, at least. She could strongarm a Guardian out of their charge, but keeping the peace between clans and flights was quite simply not her forte.
____ She had resolved to give the burden of such dealings to Internecine, who seemed to quite enjoy it, but the younger Mirror was away at the moment on more important business.
____ Finally it seemed, there was a commotion outside and a sound of approaching dragons. The general exited her tent, seeing the glowing orbs that marked the Light Ambassadors’ convoy. They knew better than to approach unarmed, but Athanasia was not foolish enough to allow their forces to freely enter the campgrounds and everyone knew it. The procession was stopped at the gate, their glittering gold banners and trinkets casting a glow upon the sand that was unmistakable to their flight’s colors. At its head were two Pearlcatchers, adorned in sashes and wreathed in light, looking flustered at the gathering crowd of mercenaries blocking their path.
____ “Your General will hear about this insubordination! You will move at once for the Ambassadors of the Light Flight!” One was squawking, huffing at a collection of Mirror warriors watching him intently. The other was waiting impatiently, looking down her nose at the dirty dragons all around her, although she was not exactly large enough to quite make it look right. Her tail twitched in agitation and apprehension.
____ The crowds parted for Athanasia as she neared, her figure imposing and ominous. “They are my dragons. They will follow my rules. You did not think me so soft as to allow your warriors within my premises, did you?” She stopped when she was directly in front of them, and the male was not so eager to squawk anymore.
____ His fluster faded to faked courtesy. “You must be General Athanasia, most esteemed. We have heard much of your e-”
____ “Silence,” she snapped, the Light warriors sharing glances and shifting their weight as the ranks of the Order tensed. “I have little time and less attention to devote to your words. If you wish to use both wisely, then you will follow me, and you will leave your guard here.” The female opened her mouth, but a swift gesture of Athanasia’s wing stopped her. “I am not the one here who needs to be diplomatic, ambassador.” She turned, hearing the Pearlcatchers follow after her hesitantly, back to her tent, where she waited for them to speak.
____ The female cleared her throat, “We of the Light Flight are dragons of research and understanding, civilized, to the say the least.” Her eyes wandered for a second to the savage tent and discarded bones lying about. “But it is no secret to us or you that there are some things upon which light does not shine. In recent times, the elements have…”
____ The female continued speaking, her pompous voice droning on endlessly of the tensions between plague and nature, the new crystals in arcane territory, and so on. Athanasia barely caught the mention of the new generator being built in Lightning territory, unwilling to devote a large amount of attention to the Pearlcatcher’s blabber. Her claws tapped impatiently in the sand, staring down the two Ambassadors with disgust and annoyance.
____ Finally, the male seemed to have realized how thin of a line they had already begun pushing, cutting off the female and saying, “T-the point is, things have been changing. With that Emperor roaming about Light territory, we can no longer tolerate even the smallest infringements upon our borders if we are to be taken seriously. You understand, of course.”
____ “The point, now.” Athanasia had begun picking food from her teeth again, still watching them without blinking.
____ “O-Of course. You are a nomadic tribe, yes? One of your outposts is practically adjacent to our flight’s land, and your return to it is consistently marked by a sharp decrease in available food for every nearby Light clan, as your hunters care very little for borders. We would ask that you stay out of that outpost, or that you do not hunt within our borders, as a move of peace between all clans involved.”
____ “Make me an offer,” she growled, insulted.
____ “We offer but our friendship and alliance and ask for only that in return - and understanding.”
____ Athanasia was infuriated. “We follow the food. That is our livelihood. Do you ask me to starve my clan because those that you represent cannot expand their own hunting ranges?”
____ The two seemed to have realized their mistake, both backing up a step. “General Athanasia, there are more important things than just your clan. We understand that-”
____ The general shook her head, flaring her wings out to either side. “Get out! I’ll not be insulted by two overgrown, pompous clams that think they can demand anything of me.”
____ “G-”
____ “Unless you don’t want to keep those precious pearls of yours, I suggest you leave, now!”
____ They huffed, but left quickly, taking their guard with them and moving back out of sight.
____ Athanasia spat in their direction, retreating back into her tent and remembering the times when the Order was but a few dragons, each one starving and thirsty. Treaty after treaty, deal after deal, the story was always the same, another clan just looking to take advantage of their food and water situation. Jobs in exchange for food and water, always too much work and too little reward, but never anything she could do about it.
____ But the Order had grown.
____ Her clan had grown.
____ She would not sacrifice a single scrap in service to dragons that hadn’t worked as long as she had.
____Athanasia was nobody’s fool and nobody’s victim.

mirror_chib8.png
[April 28, 2018]
Word Count: 588
| Prompt #6: Describe how your clan was founded |

____ Athanasia’s eyes scanned nervously over the scrub, searching for signs of food and other resources. Her tail twitched about, head on a swivel as she skulked between the cacti and low, dry shrubbery. She was far from alone. Some twenty or so Mirrors occupied the space alongside her, each on the lookout for food and water. She could just make out her brother’s tail through the crowd, and she let her pace fall so as to draw further from him. She had no interest in his input anymore.
____ A Mirror towards the front barked, the sound of food, and the pack seemed to simultaneously surge into a sprint, turning a rather sizeable family of bobwhite quails into the pack’s next food source within seconds. She had not been fast enough to kill one on her own, and was forced to pick at the scraps that the others left behind.
____ A score of wildclaws bearing banners roared their warnings at them. They had encroached on the territory of a clan nearby, although none of them could see where exactly the rest of the clan was. They barked warnings back, but turned and ran off again, in search of more food.
____ This was life for the young Athanasia. Every morning she woke, they all searched for food and water, were occasionally pushed around by stationary clans in the area, and were sometimes attacked by beastclans too. She was not the fastest of their ranks, nor the strongest, and often found herself last in line to drink or eat. Her stomach constantly growled within her, and her throat seemed to always be parched.
____ Every now and again, the cycle was broken by Mirrors leaving or joining. Sometimes the pack was of five, others of forty, but the faces always were changing. Another pack in the area moved past, members being exchanged at their own will, and she saw her brother leaving. She said nothing, knowing she would likely not see him again.
____ A male from the other group, green and red and handsome by no stretch of the imagination, joined their pack, sidling up beside her.
____ That night, they sparred over the last remnants of the day’s lizard catch, and she learned his name to be Carnage.
____ The next pack that passed, they both joined the other. They would stick together, it seemed.
____ There came a time of scarce food, where others would clean the bones and leave no scraps, and Athanasia and Carnage grew hungrier.
____ “Do you reckon th-there’s more to be had than this?” Athanasia asked, her stomach tearing at her. She had still not mastered words, having lived most of her life without them. They evaded her often, and she stuttered some when they left her mouth, unsure of themselves in a way that she was not.
____ “You think you could do better?” Carnage asked at her side, looking obviously agitated from hunger, but intrigued nonetheless.
____ She looked at him, but her confidence stood resolute. “A-Anything is better than this.” She stood taller, looking to the hot sun glaring down at the traveling pack, then out to the edges of the scrub, where it fell off into Carrion Canyon and the rest of the lightning field and Spire stood behind it.
____ On a whim, she broke off from the pack with Carnage in tow, a fire starting in her feet as she looked back at him. “We can make s-something new. No more going hungry. No more g-getting kicked around. T-Trust me. Give it a few months, and I’ll be running this place.”

[April 28, 2018]
Word Count: 588
| Prompt #6: Describe how your clan was founded |

____ Athanasia’s eyes scanned nervously over the scrub, searching for signs of food and other resources. Her tail twitched about, head on a swivel as she skulked between the cacti and low, dry shrubbery. She was far from alone. Some twenty or so Mirrors occupied the space alongside her, each on the lookout for food and water. She could just make out her brother’s tail through the crowd, and she let her pace fall so as to draw further from him. She had no interest in his input anymore.
____ A Mirror towards the front barked, the sound of food, and the pack seemed to simultaneously surge into a sprint, turning a rather sizeable family of bobwhite quails into the pack’s next food source within seconds. She had not been fast enough to kill one on her own, and was forced to pick at the scraps that the others left behind.
____ A score of wildclaws bearing banners roared their warnings at them. They had encroached on the territory of a clan nearby, although none of them could see where exactly the rest of the clan was. They barked warnings back, but turned and ran off again, in search of more food.
____ This was life for the young Athanasia. Every morning she woke, they all searched for food and water, were occasionally pushed around by stationary clans in the area, and were sometimes attacked by beastclans too. She was not the fastest of their ranks, nor the strongest, and often found herself last in line to drink or eat. Her stomach constantly growled within her, and her throat seemed to always be parched.
____ Every now and again, the cycle was broken by Mirrors leaving or joining. Sometimes the pack was of five, others of forty, but the faces always were changing. Another pack in the area moved past, members being exchanged at their own will, and she saw her brother leaving. She said nothing, knowing she would likely not see him again.
____ A male from the other group, green and red and handsome by no stretch of the imagination, joined their pack, sidling up beside her.
____ That night, they sparred over the last remnants of the day’s lizard catch, and she learned his name to be Carnage.
____ The next pack that passed, they both joined the other. They would stick together, it seemed.
____ There came a time of scarce food, where others would clean the bones and leave no scraps, and Athanasia and Carnage grew hungrier.
____ “Do you reckon th-there’s more to be had than this?” Athanasia asked, her stomach tearing at her. She had still not mastered words, having lived most of her life without them. They evaded her often, and she stuttered some when they left her mouth, unsure of themselves in a way that she was not.
____ “You think you could do better?” Carnage asked at her side, looking obviously agitated from hunger, but intrigued nonetheless.
____ She looked at him, but her confidence stood resolute. “A-Anything is better than this.” She stood taller, looking to the hot sun glaring down at the traveling pack, then out to the edges of the scrub, where it fell off into Carrion Canyon and the rest of the lightning field and Spire stood behind it.
____ On a whim, she broke off from the pack with Carnage in tow, a fire starting in her feet as she looked back at him. “We can make s-something new. No more going hungry. No more g-getting kicked around. T-Trust me. Give it a few months, and I’ll be running this place.”

mirror_chib8.png
[April 29, 2018]
Word Count: 625
| Prompt #7: Describe how a dragon in your clan would react to a sudden thundershower that passes through your area |

____ “A thunderstorm? Again?” Only minutes before, it had been all sun shining and glaring heat after yesterdays storm. Now, the Order’s tents shook in the wind and rain. Esoteric needn’t look far to see Mirrors racing around wildly to protect their belongings left out to dry from the last storm. He shifted his wings in agitation, seeing a few of the stray hunters looking to him for guidance. He spotted Shoal as he pushed his way over to him, calling over the storm, “The seas are too choppy to fish, comrade! Can we afford to push a fishing a day back?”
____ Esoteric lifted his nose to the breeze, smelling the charge in the desert wind as rain pelted his face. He closed his eyes, hearing thunder rolling in the distance and cracking again just over the mesas closer to the heart of the Lightning farm. He reached his mind out to the seas that bordered the desert, but did not need to do so for long.
____ “The fish have fled further out and further down. There is no fishing to be had today. Caustic,” he called, pausing before seeing the Mirror emerging between the tents. “Round up the rest of the hunters and tell them to reach out into the scrub - into Light Flight territory if you half to. The General will not forgive us if there is no food to be had tomorrow.”
____ “My pleasure, your highness,” the Mirror snarled sarcastically, dragging himself off and barking orders at the others as he found them.
____ “And us, Esoteric?”
____ The male gave an exasperated sigh. He had half a mind to tell them to go ask Internecine what to do now that they were effectively useless, but the female was gone for the moment, and the burden now rested with him. He could ask Kaas for help, but the female was nothing if not difficult and more concerned with her work of breaking down what dragons had already brought back.
____“If you know how to hunt, go with the others. If your only skill is fishing, then stay here, help Kaas keep the leather dry and help with breakdown if you know how. The storm will pass, comrades, and the fish will come back. When they do, you will fish.”
____ They began splitting off, and the male almost found himself joining the hunting parties before remembering that he was supposed to stay at the camp while Internecine was gone. While certainly the Dejacurse captain and acting captain (him, he supposed) were likely to leave on hunting missions, he did not want to leave a large portion of his hunting and gathering force out to dry. After him the next in command was Kaas, who had no business being anything other than a sour, bitter female.
____ For now, he moved off to find the hunting parties Caustic had made and round up anyone else he saw to send them off. Even in a freak thunderstorm, there was no rest for those that must provide, and he knew it. It crossed his mind to clear sending the hunters further out with General Athanasia, but he was sure she would admire his autonomy more.
____ He nearly bumped into Amain as he walked, and they exchanged an awkward glance before Esoteric cleared his throat. “Some storm, huh?”
____ “Yeah,” She said. She was attempting to look aloof, he knew, but he wasn’t buying it. “Been a lot of these recently. Probably has something to do with that generator they’re building.”
____ The attempt at small talk was cut off by the sound of a scuffle breaking out somewhere, and Amain ran off to go find it. He could hear her yelling at some dragons a few minutes later. It was chaos, and it was home.

[April 29, 2018]
Word Count: 625
| Prompt #7: Describe how a dragon in your clan would react to a sudden thundershower that passes through your area |

____ “A thunderstorm? Again?” Only minutes before, it had been all sun shining and glaring heat after yesterdays storm. Now, the Order’s tents shook in the wind and rain. Esoteric needn’t look far to see Mirrors racing around wildly to protect their belongings left out to dry from the last storm. He shifted his wings in agitation, seeing a few of the stray hunters looking to him for guidance. He spotted Shoal as he pushed his way over to him, calling over the storm, “The seas are too choppy to fish, comrade! Can we afford to push a fishing a day back?”
____ Esoteric lifted his nose to the breeze, smelling the charge in the desert wind as rain pelted his face. He closed his eyes, hearing thunder rolling in the distance and cracking again just over the mesas closer to the heart of the Lightning farm. He reached his mind out to the seas that bordered the desert, but did not need to do so for long.
____ “The fish have fled further out and further down. There is no fishing to be had today. Caustic,” he called, pausing before seeing the Mirror emerging between the tents. “Round up the rest of the hunters and tell them to reach out into the scrub - into Light Flight territory if you half to. The General will not forgive us if there is no food to be had tomorrow.”
____ “My pleasure, your highness,” the Mirror snarled sarcastically, dragging himself off and barking orders at the others as he found them.
____ “And us, Esoteric?”
____ The male gave an exasperated sigh. He had half a mind to tell them to go ask Internecine what to do now that they were effectively useless, but the female was gone for the moment, and the burden now rested with him. He could ask Kaas for help, but the female was nothing if not difficult and more concerned with her work of breaking down what dragons had already brought back.
____“If you know how to hunt, go with the others. If your only skill is fishing, then stay here, help Kaas keep the leather dry and help with breakdown if you know how. The storm will pass, comrades, and the fish will come back. When they do, you will fish.”
____ They began splitting off, and the male almost found himself joining the hunting parties before remembering that he was supposed to stay at the camp while Internecine was gone. While certainly the Dejacurse captain and acting captain (him, he supposed) were likely to leave on hunting missions, he did not want to leave a large portion of his hunting and gathering force out to dry. After him the next in command was Kaas, who had no business being anything other than a sour, bitter female.
____ For now, he moved off to find the hunting parties Caustic had made and round up anyone else he saw to send them off. Even in a freak thunderstorm, there was no rest for those that must provide, and he knew it. It crossed his mind to clear sending the hunters further out with General Athanasia, but he was sure she would admire his autonomy more.
____ He nearly bumped into Amain as he walked, and they exchanged an awkward glance before Esoteric cleared his throat. “Some storm, huh?”
____ “Yeah,” She said. She was attempting to look aloof, he knew, but he wasn’t buying it. “Been a lot of these recently. Probably has something to do with that generator they’re building.”
____ The attempt at small talk was cut off by the sound of a scuffle breaking out somewhere, and Amain ran off to go find it. He could hear her yelling at some dragons a few minutes later. It was chaos, and it was home.

mirror_chib8.png
[April 30, 2018]
Word Count: 600
| Prompt #8: Describe the most secret or inaccessible place in your clan’s territory, and tell why it became so secret or inaccessible |

____Elizabeth could see it all so clearly, as if it was right in front of her. Her eyes traced the forms of grass and a great tree within a large cavern, a skylight casting scant rays of light down upon them. The tree was beautiful, and great… but it was dying. Leaves would drop from it now and then, dead, as if a magic that had once fed it had long since dried. Runes that marked the tree’s trunk and leaves were empty, black.
____ She was drawing closer to the tree of no will of her own. There were voices, not only coming from the true but surrounding her as well. They sounded from the walls and dead air that lingered, untouched by any wind that might be coming through the small holes in the ceiling.
____ They spoke words unknown, but not unheard.
____ As she listened, the runes began to glow green, brighter and brighter until their colors broke away from their carvings. They drifted to the ground, where their light became the shapes of dragons all around the small her. Mirrors, Imperials, Ridgebacks, Guardians, and all manner of other dragons stood in the clearing, laughing and talking, going about their business. Hatchlings bounded past her, through her, as if she wasn’t there. Her eyes searched frantically for the many forms of dragons she had lost, but their forms were not among these.
____ She had a sense that these dragons were from a time before them.
____ But things were not happy for long. Their shapes began to tremor and they looked around in panic, their lights glowing brighter than ever as the fear grew on their faces, until Elizabeth was forced to shield her eyes to prevent being blinded.
____ She could feel some great darkness was coming - it was this that they were afraid of. She could feel them, sense them all around her. There was a heat growing and growing in the air and blazing from the form of the tree somewhere in front of her. Behind her eyes she could see nothing but light, feel nothing but fire, and hear burning, the whispers as screaming, then the ground trembling beneath her.
____ And suddenly, the whispering vanished.
____ The Skydancer opened her eyes once more, shooting awake from her slumber in a cold sweat. Her breath trembled, and there were tears in her eyes.
____ It was not always her own memory that haunted her at night. It was a memory she knew must have belonged to Hailey, a fae dragon that had at one time been her protector. She’d spoken very little of that place, the tree, grass, and small stream that fed into a place that had once been their home. Eliza had never seen it with her own eyes, but she could recognize it by the description.
____ She had never found out what exactly happened to the dragons that had lived there before, nor what had happened to the dragons associated with that tree. A sense beyond logic told her of a great slaughter, a fire, and the ground swallowing them whole, but she could never be sure.
____ Elizabeth took a few steps out of her tent and into the open desert air, trying to calm herself with the midnight air.
____ It was still down there, she knew, abandoned, forgotten, inaccessible to nearly anyone. A hidden piece of someone’s history, somewhere, although they would likely never know about it either. And now the whole place was filled with those creatures from the depths, lurking through the halls she had once called her home, and she alone still remembered.

[April 30, 2018]
Word Count: 600
| Prompt #8: Describe the most secret or inaccessible place in your clan’s territory, and tell why it became so secret or inaccessible |

____Elizabeth could see it all so clearly, as if it was right in front of her. Her eyes traced the forms of grass and a great tree within a large cavern, a skylight casting scant rays of light down upon them. The tree was beautiful, and great… but it was dying. Leaves would drop from it now and then, dead, as if a magic that had once fed it had long since dried. Runes that marked the tree’s trunk and leaves were empty, black.
____ She was drawing closer to the tree of no will of her own. There were voices, not only coming from the true but surrounding her as well. They sounded from the walls and dead air that lingered, untouched by any wind that might be coming through the small holes in the ceiling.
____ They spoke words unknown, but not unheard.
____ As she listened, the runes began to glow green, brighter and brighter until their colors broke away from their carvings. They drifted to the ground, where their light became the shapes of dragons all around the small her. Mirrors, Imperials, Ridgebacks, Guardians, and all manner of other dragons stood in the clearing, laughing and talking, going about their business. Hatchlings bounded past her, through her, as if she wasn’t there. Her eyes searched frantically for the many forms of dragons she had lost, but their forms were not among these.
____ She had a sense that these dragons were from a time before them.
____ But things were not happy for long. Their shapes began to tremor and they looked around in panic, their lights glowing brighter than ever as the fear grew on their faces, until Elizabeth was forced to shield her eyes to prevent being blinded.
____ She could feel some great darkness was coming - it was this that they were afraid of. She could feel them, sense them all around her. There was a heat growing and growing in the air and blazing from the form of the tree somewhere in front of her. Behind her eyes she could see nothing but light, feel nothing but fire, and hear burning, the whispers as screaming, then the ground trembling beneath her.
____ And suddenly, the whispering vanished.
____ The Skydancer opened her eyes once more, shooting awake from her slumber in a cold sweat. Her breath trembled, and there were tears in her eyes.
____ It was not always her own memory that haunted her at night. It was a memory she knew must have belonged to Hailey, a fae dragon that had at one time been her protector. She’d spoken very little of that place, the tree, grass, and small stream that fed into a place that had once been their home. Eliza had never seen it with her own eyes, but she could recognize it by the description.
____ She had never found out what exactly happened to the dragons that had lived there before, nor what had happened to the dragons associated with that tree. A sense beyond logic told her of a great slaughter, a fire, and the ground swallowing them whole, but she could never be sure.
____ Elizabeth took a few steps out of her tent and into the open desert air, trying to calm herself with the midnight air.
____ It was still down there, she knew, abandoned, forgotten, inaccessible to nearly anyone. A hidden piece of someone’s history, somewhere, although they would likely never know about it either. And now the whole place was filled with those creatures from the depths, lurking through the halls she had once called her home, and she alone still remembered.

mirror_chib8.png
1 2