Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Lightning Lore: Iron Order of Engineers
[center][b][size=6][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2392261]For More See Autopilot's Lore Hub[/url][/size][/b][/center] [center][b][size=5]The Iron Order of Engineers[/size][/b][/center] The Iron order of engineers is an old, elite group that lays claim as the oldest existent organization in the Lightning realm. The order is known for its steadfast traditions and ceremonies, though over the past century some of its rules have been laxed to allow dragons of other elements membership, so long as they are current residents of the expanse. Today, it is an organization with a powerful influence in the shifting expanse. Little can be accomplished in the realm without interacting with members of the order in some way. The organization officially does not engage in politics nor elemental conflict unless the safety of dragonkind is at stake, either locally or globally. While its role has diversified from its humble beginnings, its heart still remains: To foster a sense of unity and purpose, and to honor their lifelong pledge. --------- --------- [center].[img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/a16b2b9fc9706a90a3293edec0455d28/tumblr_p5f4dmViQq1vuvakgo1_500.png[/img] Pictured: An example of the Cogwheel Motif .[/center] [center][b][size=5]History of the Order[/size][/b][/center] Despite diligent record keeping, various disasters and circumstances of time have lost much of the original accounts of its origin. It has inevitably allowed the story to border myth and legend, and they are spoken of with matching reverence. In the early days of the ridgeback breed, working on design and mechanical problems was a common pastime with the slowly growing advancement of the spire. All working hard to innovate and push boundaries to please their boss. Individuals began to argue among themselves on how things should be done and whose ideas were better. These could result in bloody or deadly battles of brute force over who was right, rather than merit of an idea. Dragons that upheld science in high regard would still end up covered in scars or worse, maimed for having a controversial idea. A group of particularly observant and big picture dragons began discussing their frustrations over this system of fight makes right. It was agreed upon that they should act towards the greater good instead, and secretly identified themselves with a brass cog in their attire. [center][outfit=351179][/center] When a dispute arose between two bearing the cog, they would debate their merits and forgo the wasteful combat. When dealing with a non-cogwheel dragon, all bets are off, and cunning would have to win. They would defend their own and give their allies the upper hand. The cogwheel dragons would eventually spread their ideals until the tipping point where they became the majority; more organized and far more potent when acting as one. It is thought that some of lightning’s more irritating bureaucracy habits also began with this group. [center] . [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/ed3edeba66b25ea7ed000f59df1bb516/tumblr_p5eel61VWB1vuvakgo1_400.png[/img] Pictured: An artist's rendition of how Derivus is portrayed in murals. .[/center] The still fledgling group would suffer heavy losses in the betrayal of Derivus Steelbore. While the details of this betrayal are lost, the ridgeback was described as cunning and vain. Scorned over being overruled when he presented his ideas, he sabotaged his colleagues work, resulting with the structural failure of the northern quadrant of the spire and heavy losses to the workforce. This was unacceptable and an affront to ridgeback-kind; but even more so to those of the cogwheel since Derivus had been among them. It is said that even the Stormcatcher was driven into a fury over the disruption; lightning strikes were so frequent and powerful that the sands surrounding the spire where turned into huge twisting spears of fulgurite. For such an act of malice, ill will, and vanity against the greater good, the remaining of the group put Derivus and his allies to death via publicly tearing him apart. Deeply satisfying and a great vent for ridgeback temperaments, the remaining agreed that this should be the fate of all who would put their kind and their beloved realm in jeopardy by misusing the power of their sacred craft. They forged together new rules, debating and arguing between breaths as they repaired the spire for their deity. It is from the great plates of iron that they bound the base of the injured spire that they also bound together under a new order. From here the iron order of engineers was born. They kept the symbol of the cogwheel signet, but in addition the secretive members forged rings of iron to wear on their outer digit. A piece of the wounded spire as a reminder to temper both themselves and those around them. From then on the order grew, advanced, and shaped its iron oath. --------- --------- [center] [size=5][b]Membership and The Calling Ceremony[/b][/size] [/center] To gain membership, one must be trained at an institution registered with the order and housing a permanent member of the order at that particular campus. Many recruits come from the Lightning University Inc. program, though many smaller private institutions participate in the program. Any field of engineering is qualified to entry in the organization so long as they succeed in their training with diligence and integrity. Over the years, what is considered an ‘engineering’ field is occasionally stretched by those desperately wanting to be part of the group. [center][outfit=351535][outfit=351531][/center] Upon completion of their training and approval of the on-campus member of the order, the student is eligible to participate in the calling ceremony. This ceremony is a small and private ordeal, containing at least two senior and presiding order members of the area, current inductees, and two guests of an inductee’s choice. Inductee participation of the ceremony is mandatory. At each ceremony, a senior order member details the history of the order, its significance, and the significance of the iron band: the revered physical symbol of the order. Inductees must also take the oath of the iron band to uphold the ethics of the order and that they will be held to its standards. [center]. [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/0c763b694d08f2050da35f17ce45e85a/tumblr_p5f5b6RXvA1vuvakgo1_1280.png[/img] Pictured: Example of the mural style in the ceremony chaimbers .[/center] Ceremony locations are typically underground, circular rooms made to accommodate larger dragons. They are lit by electricity or power cells so that the room is both bright and elegant. The floors are usually inlaid stone or draped with decorative rugs. On the walls are murals depicting the order’s history, achievements, and its ceremonies; all backlit to show off the craftsmanship and art of it. At the far end of the room from the doorway is a large dais where the ceremony itself takes place. These rooms are only used for order business and nothing else. Rooms closest or at the spire are by far the oldest and more spectacular, while those on the edges of the expanse are modest and conservative due to lack of resources. But the ceremony itself is always conducted the same regardless of what they have to work with. At the ceremony, inductees are required to speak the oath of the iron band. . [quote] [center] [size=5][b]Oath of the Iron Band[/b][/size] [/center] I __(name)___, in the presence of my betters and equals in my calling, bind myself upon my honor and cold iron, sealed by the blood and __(dragon’s element)__ in my veins, pledge myself to the greater good. To the best of my knowledge and power, I henceforward will not tolerate nor allow bad workmanship, faulty material, or corrupt intentions to mar any works to which I may be called to set my claw. When needed my skill, time and knowledge shall be given without reservation for the good of dragonkind. My reputation in my calling I will honorably guard; and in no act will I serve my own ego. I stand in my calling for fairness, tolerance, respect, and integrity; and before the elements I pledge to stay any claw that acts in dishonesty, vanity, or malicious intent. As an engineer I shall participate in none but honest enterprises, and in the performance of duty and in fidelity to my profession I shall give my utmost. I shall place service before profit, and public welfare before all else. For my assured failures I ask pardon beforehand of my betters and my equals in my calling, that in the hour of my temptations, weakness, and weariness, the memory of this my obligation and in the company of those it was entered to, may return to me in aid, comfort, and restraint. [/quote] Upon reciting the oath, each member must sign a contract of obligation, and only then are they presented with their rings. From there they are considered proper members of the order and may reap the benefits of such a powerful organization. --------- --------- [center] [size=5][b]Band of the Iron Order[/b][/size] [/center] Upon completing their training successfully, taking the Iron Oath, and passing approval of the board, young engineers are ready to go out into the world. A sacred symbol of their practice is the iron ring, a small ring worn on a dragon’s dominant hand. It is to be worn at all times as long as it is safe to do so, and otherwise it may be worn temporarily around the neck, ear, or horn on a chain. The ring is assumed and accepted to be a dragon’s most prized possession despite its modest appearance. Made out of iron, it has flattened edges making it reminiscent of a nut for a bolt. The design remains the same regardless of breed and size, and is to be kept an entire lifetime. [center]. [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/e8c592d38199bcb760e6161ee740e923/tumblr_p5f7b5kQzL1vuvakgo1_540.jpg[/img] Pictured: The Iron Band used in the Canadian [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual_of_the_Calling_of_an_Engineer]Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer[/url] .[/center] Whenever a dragon takes to their desk and their blueprints, the ring drags across the surface of anything they work on. This is symbolic, acting as a reminder to the oath and their duties to all of Sornieth and dragon kind. Upon an engineer’s passing, the ring must be returned to the order where it will befall two fates: be given to a new initiate or melted down to be crafted into a newly sized ring if it is too damaged. An attempt is made to keep the same rings in long families, and recipients are given a small biography of the previous dragons before them who bore it or whose metal it was made from. This symbolizes that new generations of innovation stand upon the shoulders of their predecessors, and that they could not stand so high nor so proud without them. If a ring is lost, every effort must be made to retrieve it so long as it is safe to do so. An incident repot must be turned into the order as soon as possible outlining the incident, and a ruling will be made as to whether they will be awarded a new one or dishonorably be stripped of their membership due to carelessness. --------- --------- [center] [size=5][b]Mentorship[/b][/size] [/center] New members are usually given into the care of a mentor, the location depending on the student’s particular field of engineering. This may not always mean staying in the shifting expanse. Mentoring is a key part of the organization, and it is both assumed and expected that one will eventually be a mentor themselves. Not doing so without special circumstances may hurt one’s reputation in the field and organization. Dragons may have multiple mentors in order to gain different perspectives and skills as they move forward din their careers. The amount of merits given to them by their mentors upon parting can significantly affect a dragon’s success. [center][img]https://ichemepresident.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/engineermemes-blogspot-ca.jpg[/img][/center] --------- --------- [center] [b][size=5]The Seven Wardens[/size][/b] [/center] A major part of the hierarchy of the order is the seven wardens, who make up the board that vote on all major decisions for the organization. Most issues are decided at yearly meetings of the wardens, arranged at a different location every year. The role of warden is a lifelong profession, until a dragon chooses to retire, step down, or dies. New wardens are chosen based upon recommendations from their peers. Those that meet a certain threshold of recommendations are interviewed by staff of that warden position’s office and the rest of the board. Both must come to agreement before a new dragon is chosen to fill a role. Each warden represents a regional need, earning that role by working in a field that relates to or is benefited by that need. When not at their yearly meeting, they are spread out all over the expanse. They commonly correspond with each other to exchange knowledge, expertise and second opinions; they regard each other as equals. [b]Urban Warden – Headquarters: The spire.[/b] This warden deals with urban planning, both at the doughnut shaped sprawl around the spire and the substantial mesa cities that are sprinkled through the region. Technically, any town/city planning or issue is under their jurisdiction. [b]Costal Warden – Headquarters: Joule Island.[/b] Stationed on the large island across Thunder Bay, this warden deals with island and coast infrastructure, including levies, sea walls, drainage systems, and etc. They are responsible both for the ocean coast, and the border along the realm of water. [b]Canyon Warden – Headquarters: Canyon Cross.[/b] This warden deals with ecological and structural issues pertaining to the carrion canyon. They deal with water tables, waste disposal, pollution, and the integrity of the canyon walls itself and any structures along it. [b]Highland Warden – Headquarters: Static Rock.[/b] This warden deals with erosion, natural forces, weather, solar and wind power, and dealing with the harsh sandstorms, scrap and recycling, and etc. [b]Industrial Warden – Headquarters: The Stormworks[/b]. This warden deals with the factories peppered across the region, most heavily centered in the lightning farms. They deal a lot with regulations, safety planning, protective gear, electrical/energy production, and etc. [b]Transportation Warden – Headquarters: Gearwork Railyard.[/b] This warden deals with all transportation in the region, most notably the railways and its regulations, but also any other types of transportation, including roads, bridges, and general safe passage for dragons in the region. [b]Border Warden – Headquarters: Abyssal Edge, Emperor’s Causeway, Dunescry, Sparktown, Fumegear. [/b]This warden works closely with the Engineer Battle Corps, and deals with maintaining the defensive equipment throughout the region against enemy attack. This includes maintaining the electrical cannons and rail-gun platforms. This warden is always traveling, spending about two months at a time in each of their many offices. --------- --------- [center] [size=5][b]Engineer Battle Corps[/b][/size] [/center] Over the centuries, the order has taken on engineers of weaponry, war, and combat. The engineer battle corps was born to act as a major military force for the region. It is further divided into air, land, and sea divisions that are called upon for their particular specialties. The Engineer Battle Corps primarily acts as a large scale emergency force during disasters, working together with local emergency personnel in providing shelter, supplies, rescue and medical services. They are also in charge of region defense and the upkeep of those systems. The divisions are broken down into efficient ‘Squadrons’. Squadrons are lead by a captain and flight chief, and are made up of six wings with four dragons each. The particular role of a squadron influences the breeds composing it. There may be dedicated wings to specific tasks so that the squadron is well rounded and able to accommodate a wider range of circumstances. [center][outfit=232711][/center] Each division cycles out different squadrons to patrol their particular regions, ensuring that there is always a one within a day’s flight of any particular point. During disasters or special events, some less populated areas may not see another team for over a week at a time. The Engineer Battle Corps are identified by their bronze and teal uniforms and armor, and serve the order directly. Dragons who may not quite have the aptitude to pass the rigorous training to be in the order can join through the Battle Corps instead, which does have academic requirements but not nearly as stringent depending on ones role in the Corps. Corps members instead wear an iron collar with the ring and cogwheel engraved on its front. Individuals who first joined the order before pursuing a field related to weaponry, war and combat may later join the corps and thus have both the band and the ring. --------- --------- [center][size=5][b]Expulsion from the order[/b][/size][/center] Acting against the order’s code of ethics always results in the suspension of ones participation in their profession as well as their membership. An investigation is then put together to understand the situation and why that dragon acted as they did. Whether it was passion, poor judgment, or malice is important in the decision. Expulsion is the worst punishment that most can expect. Their rings are revoked and they are ejected from the order. These individuals can still practice, but it is likely that they will lose their previous positions and have a very difficult time finding new work elsewhere within the shifting expanse. [center][img]https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/400x/63978788/oops.jpg[/img][/center] Many disgraced engineers will set up small shops in the scrubland, or roam the wasteland with bandits and marauders. It is in these dragons interest to keep their backgrounds hidden or to take on different names. Their expulsion can be appealed, but it can be a long and tedious process plagued by bureaucracy in the worst sense. You are lucky to hear back at all before you die of old age. The very worst possible punishment is saved for the most abhorrent offences, and is considered the most brutal tradition of the order. In the same fashion that Derivus was executed, a dragon that has endangered or caused the great loss of life with the same ill intent and vanity is stripped of their ring and must face their peers in a massive underground chamber. Judgment is laid down upon the guilty, and they are either destroyed or maimed so that they cannot participate in the profession ever again to cause harm. This tradition is kept away from the public eye, with the offending individuals simply disappearing, never to be seen near the spire ever again. Only rumor and legend of the practice runs free with no public statement issued by the seven wardens. --------- --------- [center] [size=5][b]Conclusion[/b][/size] [/center] The Iron order of engineers is a proud organization of professional engineers that try to be above lowly squabbles and political debates. They certainly do not always succeed, but at the heart of the organization is a desire to do whatever is the greatest good for dragonkind. [center][outfit=96174][outfit=351334][outfit=351336][/center] --------- --------- [quote] This is something I've been wanting to add for a long time, as it is one of the wildest things to actually exist regarding a profession that you've never heard about. I consulted information from both the Canadian and United States versions of the ceremony, in particular this [url=http://www.order-of-the-engineer.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Ceremony.pdf]PDF[/url] that shares in detail how the ceremony works. Being a nation of innovators and inventors, engineering has to be an intricate part of lightning culture. I felt it fit the aesthetic that there would be this organization widespread within lightning. (99% of Canadian engineers undergo the Ritual of the Calling of the Engineer. It's kinda a big deal.) As always this lore is free for everyone to use in flight rising. I only ask that you link back to the post so others can read more about it too! If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please respond to this thread and ping me. Thanks! [/quote] [center]. [img]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/709/335/332.jpg[/img][/center]

The Iron Order of Engineers

The Iron order of engineers is an old, elite group that lays claim as the oldest existent organization in the Lightning realm. The order is known for its steadfast traditions and ceremonies, though over the past century some of its rules have been laxed to allow dragons of other elements membership, so long as they are current residents of the expanse.

Today, it is an organization with a powerful influence in the shifting expanse. Little can be accomplished in the realm without interacting with members of the order in some way. The organization officially does not engage in politics nor elemental conflict unless the safety of dragonkind is at stake, either locally or globally. While its role has diversified from its humble beginnings, its heart still remains: To foster a sense of unity and purpose, and to honor their lifelong pledge.

.tumblr_p5f4dmViQq1vuvakgo1_500.png
Pictured: An example of the Cogwheel Motif
History of the Order

Despite diligent record keeping, various disasters and circumstances of time have lost much of the original accounts of its origin. It has inevitably allowed the story to border myth and legend, and they are spoken of with matching reverence.

In the early days of the ridgeback breed, working on design and mechanical problems was a common pastime with the slowly growing advancement of the spire. All working hard to innovate and push boundaries to please their boss.

Individuals began to argue among themselves on how things should be done and whose ideas were better. These could result in bloody or deadly battles of brute force over who was right, rather than merit of an idea. Dragons that upheld science in high regard would still end up covered in scars or worse, maimed for having a controversial idea.

A group of particularly observant and big picture dragons began discussing their frustrations over this system of fight makes right. It was agreed upon that they should act towards the greater good instead, and secretly identified themselves with a brass cog in their attire.
Brass Cogwheel Follower

When a dispute arose between two bearing the cog, they would debate their merits and forgo the wasteful combat. When dealing with a non-cogwheel dragon, all bets are off, and cunning would have to win. They would defend their own and give their allies the upper hand.

The cogwheel dragons would eventually spread their ideals until the tipping point where they became the majority; more organized and far more potent when acting as one. It is thought that some of lightning’s more irritating bureaucracy habits also began with this group.
tumblr_p5eel61VWB1vuvakgo1_400.png
Pictured: An artist's rendition of how Derivus is portrayed in murals.

The still fledgling group would suffer heavy losses in the betrayal of Derivus Steelbore. While the details of this betrayal are lost, the ridgeback was described as cunning and vain. Scorned over being overruled when he presented his ideas, he sabotaged his colleagues work, resulting with the structural failure of the northern quadrant of the spire and heavy losses to the workforce. This was unacceptable and an affront to ridgeback-kind; but even more so to those of the cogwheel since Derivus had been among them.

It is said that even the Stormcatcher was driven into a fury over the disruption; lightning strikes were so frequent and powerful that the sands surrounding the spire where turned into huge twisting spears of fulgurite.

For such an act of malice, ill will, and vanity against the greater good, the remaining of the group put Derivus and his allies to death via publicly tearing him apart. Deeply satisfying and a great vent for ridgeback temperaments, the remaining agreed that this should be the fate of all who would put their kind and their beloved realm in jeopardy by misusing the power of their sacred craft.

They forged together new rules, debating and arguing between breaths as they repaired the spire for their deity. It is from the great plates of iron that they bound the base of the injured spire that they also bound together under a new order. From here the iron order of engineers was born.

They kept the symbol of the cogwheel signet, but in addition the secretive members forged rings of iron to wear on their outer digit. A piece of the wounded spire as a reminder to temper both themselves and those around them.

From then on the order grew, advanced, and shaped its iron oath.

Membership and The Calling Ceremony

To gain membership, one must be trained at an institution registered with the order and housing a permanent member of the order at that particular campus. Many recruits come from the Lightning University Inc. program, though many smaller private institutions participate in the program. Any field of engineering is qualified to entry in the organization so long as they succeed in their training with diligence and integrity. Over the years, what is considered an ‘engineering’ field is occasionally stretched by those desperately wanting to be part of the group.
Ceremonial Garb
Ceremonial Robes

Upon completion of their training and approval of the on-campus member of the order, the student is eligible to participate in the calling ceremony. This ceremony is a small and private ordeal, containing at least two senior and presiding order members of the area, current inductees, and two guests of an inductee’s choice. Inductee participation of the ceremony is mandatory.

At each ceremony, a senior order member details the history of the order, its significance, and the significance of the iron band: the revered physical symbol of the order. Inductees must also take the oath of the iron band to uphold the ethics of the order and that they will be held to its standards.
tumblr_p5f5b6RXvA1vuvakgo1_1280.png
Pictured: Example of the mural style in the ceremony chaimbers

Ceremony locations are typically underground, circular rooms made to accommodate larger dragons. They are lit by electricity or power cells so that the room is both bright and elegant. The floors are usually inlaid stone or draped with decorative rugs. On the walls are murals depicting the order’s history, achievements, and its ceremonies; all backlit to show off the craftsmanship and art of it. At the far end of the room from the doorway is a large dais where the ceremony itself takes place.

These rooms are only used for order business and nothing else. Rooms closest or at the spire are by far the oldest and more spectacular, while those on the edges of the expanse are modest and conservative due to lack of resources. But the ceremony itself is always conducted the same regardless of what they have to work with.

At the ceremony, inductees are required to speak the oath of the iron band.

Quote:
Oath of the Iron Band

I __(name)___, in the presence of my betters and equals in my calling, bind myself upon my honor and cold iron, sealed by the blood and __(dragon’s element)__ in my veins, pledge myself to the greater good.

To the best of my knowledge and power, I henceforward will not tolerate nor allow bad workmanship, faulty material, or corrupt intentions to mar any works to which I may be called to set my claw. When needed my skill, time and knowledge shall be given without reservation for the good of dragonkind.

My reputation in my calling I will honorably guard; and in no act will I serve my own ego. I stand in my calling for fairness, tolerance, respect, and integrity; and before the elements I pledge to stay any claw that acts in dishonesty, vanity, or malicious intent.

As an engineer I shall participate in none but honest enterprises, and in the performance of duty and in fidelity to my profession I shall give my utmost. I shall place service before profit, and public welfare before all else.

For my assured failures I ask pardon beforehand of my betters and my equals in my calling, that in the hour of my temptations, weakness, and weariness, the memory of this my obligation and in the company of those it was entered to, may return to me in aid, comfort, and restraint.

Upon reciting the oath, each member must sign a contract of obligation, and only then are they presented with their rings. From there they are considered proper members of the order and may reap the benefits of such a powerful organization.

Band of the Iron Order

Upon completing their training successfully, taking the Iron Oath, and passing approval of the board, young engineers are ready to go out into the world. A sacred symbol of their practice is the iron ring, a small ring worn on a dragon’s dominant hand. It is to be worn at all times as long as it is safe to do so, and otherwise it may be worn temporarily around the neck, ear, or horn on a chain.

The ring is assumed and accepted to be a dragon’s most prized possession despite its modest appearance. Made out of iron, it has flattened edges making it reminiscent of a nut for a bolt. The design remains the same regardless of breed and size, and is to be kept an entire lifetime.
tumblr_p5f7b5kQzL1vuvakgo1_540.jpg
Pictured: The Iron Band used in the Canadian Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer

Whenever a dragon takes to their desk and their blueprints, the ring drags across the surface of anything they work on. This is symbolic, acting as a reminder to the oath and their duties to all of Sornieth and dragon kind.

Upon an engineer’s passing, the ring must be returned to the order where it will befall two fates: be given to a new initiate or melted down to be crafted into a newly sized ring if it is too damaged. An attempt is made to keep the same rings in long families, and recipients are given a small biography of the previous dragons before them who bore it or whose metal it was made from. This symbolizes that new generations of innovation stand upon the shoulders of their predecessors, and that they could not stand so high nor so proud without them.

If a ring is lost, every effort must be made to retrieve it so long as it is safe to do so. An incident repot must be turned into the order as soon as possible outlining the incident, and a ruling will be made as to whether they will be awarded a new one or dishonorably be stripped of their membership due to carelessness.

Mentorship

New members are usually given into the care of a mentor, the location depending on the student’s particular field of engineering. This may not always mean staying in the shifting expanse.

Mentoring is a key part of the organization, and it is both assumed and expected that one will eventually be a mentor themselves. Not doing so without special circumstances may hurt one’s reputation in the field and organization.

Dragons may have multiple mentors in order to gain different perspectives and skills as they move forward din their careers. The amount of merits given to them by their mentors upon parting can significantly affect a dragon’s success.
engineermemes-blogspot-ca.jpg

The Seven Wardens

A major part of the hierarchy of the order is the seven wardens, who make up the board that vote on all major decisions for the organization. Most issues are decided at yearly meetings of the wardens, arranged at a different location every year.

The role of warden is a lifelong profession, until a dragon chooses to retire, step down, or dies. New wardens are chosen based upon recommendations from their peers. Those that meet a certain threshold of recommendations are interviewed by staff of that warden position’s office and the rest of the board. Both must come to agreement before a new dragon is chosen to fill a role.

Each warden represents a regional need, earning that role by working in a field that relates to or is benefited by that need. When not at their yearly meeting, they are spread out all over the expanse. They commonly correspond with each other to exchange knowledge, expertise and second opinions; they regard each other as equals.

Urban Warden – Headquarters: The spire. This warden deals with urban planning, both at the doughnut shaped sprawl around the spire and the substantial mesa cities that are sprinkled through the region. Technically, any town/city planning or issue is under their jurisdiction.

Costal Warden – Headquarters: Joule Island. Stationed on the large island across Thunder Bay, this warden deals with island and coast infrastructure, including levies, sea walls, drainage systems, and etc. They are responsible both for the ocean coast, and the border along the realm of water.

Canyon Warden – Headquarters: Canyon Cross. This warden deals with ecological and structural issues pertaining to the carrion canyon. They deal with water tables, waste disposal, pollution, and the integrity of the canyon walls itself and any structures along it.

Highland Warden – Headquarters: Static Rock. This warden deals with erosion, natural forces, weather, solar and wind power, and dealing with the harsh sandstorms, scrap and recycling, and etc.

Industrial Warden – Headquarters: The Stormworks. This warden deals with the factories peppered across the region, most heavily centered in the lightning farms. They deal a lot with regulations, safety planning, protective gear, electrical/energy production, and etc.

Transportation Warden – Headquarters: Gearwork Railyard. This warden deals with all transportation in the region, most notably the railways and its regulations, but also any other types of transportation, including roads, bridges, and general safe passage for dragons in the region.

Border Warden – Headquarters: Abyssal Edge, Emperor’s Causeway, Dunescry, Sparktown, Fumegear. This warden works closely with the Engineer Battle Corps, and deals with maintaining the defensive equipment throughout the region against enemy attack. This includes maintaining the electrical cannons and rail-gun platforms. This warden is always traveling, spending about two months at a time in each of their many offices.

Engineer Battle Corps

Over the centuries, the order has taken on engineers of weaponry, war, and combat. The engineer battle corps was born to act as a major military force for the region. It is further divided into air, land, and sea divisions that are called upon for their particular specialties.

The Engineer Battle Corps primarily acts as a large scale emergency force during disasters, working together with local emergency personnel in providing shelter, supplies, rescue and medical services. They are also in charge of region defense and the upkeep of those systems.

The divisions are broken down into efficient ‘Squadrons’. Squadrons are lead by a captain and flight chief, and are made up of six wings with four dragons each. The particular role of a squadron influences the breeds composing it. There may be dedicated wings to specific tasks so that the squadron is well rounded and able to accommodate a wider range of circumstances.
Engineer Battle Corps

Each division cycles out different squadrons to patrol their particular regions, ensuring that there is always a one within a day’s flight of any particular point. During disasters or special events, some less populated areas may not see another team for over a week at a time.

The Engineer Battle Corps are identified by their bronze and teal uniforms and armor, and serve the order directly. Dragons who may not quite have the aptitude to pass the rigorous training to be in the order can join through the Battle Corps instead, which does have academic requirements but not nearly as stringent depending on ones role in the Corps.

Corps members instead wear an iron collar with the ring and cogwheel engraved on its front. Individuals who first joined the order before pursuing a field related to weaponry, war and combat may later join the corps and thus have both the band and the ring.

Expulsion from the order

Acting against the order’s code of ethics always results in the suspension of ones participation in their profession as well as their membership. An investigation is then put together to understand the situation and why that dragon acted as they did. Whether it was passion, poor judgment, or malice is important in the decision.

Expulsion is the worst punishment that most can expect. Their rings are revoked and they are ejected from the order. These individuals can still practice, but it is likely that they will lose their previous positions and have a very difficult time finding new work elsewhere within the shifting expanse.
oops.jpg

Many disgraced engineers will set up small shops in the scrubland, or roam the wasteland with bandits and marauders. It is in these dragons interest to keep their backgrounds hidden or to take on different names. Their expulsion can be appealed, but it can be a long and tedious process plagued by bureaucracy in the worst sense. You are lucky to hear back at all before you die of old age.

The very worst possible punishment is saved for the most abhorrent offences, and is considered the most brutal tradition of the order. In the same fashion that Derivus was executed, a dragon that has endangered or caused the great loss of life with the same ill intent and vanity is stripped of their ring and must face their peers in a massive underground chamber. Judgment is laid down upon the guilty, and they are either destroyed or maimed so that they cannot participate in the profession ever again to cause harm.

This tradition is kept away from the public eye, with the offending individuals simply disappearing, never to be seen near the spire ever again. Only rumor and legend of the practice runs free with no public statement issued by the seven wardens.

Conclusion

The Iron order of engineers is a proud organization of professional engineers that try to be above lowly squabbles and political debates. They certainly do not always succeed, but at the heart of the organization is a desire to do whatever is the greatest good for dragonkind.
Sandwaste Surveyor
Chemical Engineer
Metallurgist Gear

Quote:
This is something I've been wanting to add for a long time, as it is one of the wildest things to actually exist regarding a profession that you've never heard about. I consulted information from both the Canadian and United States versions of the ceremony, in particular this PDF that shares in detail how the ceremony works.

Being a nation of innovators and inventors, engineering has to be an intricate part of lightning culture. I felt it fit the aesthetic that there would be this organization widespread within lightning. (99% of Canadian engineers undergo the Ritual of the Calling of the Engineer. It's kinda a big deal.)

As always this lore is free for everyone to use in flight rising. I only ask that you link back to the post so others can read more about it too! If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please respond to this thread and ping me. Thanks!
332.jpg
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png