Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Writing/Roleplay Ideas
1 2
Thought I'd come to the forums for some advice and maybe brainstorming help with some ideas I had

- Plague Cult - I'm figuring a silent backstory for an OC of mine who is plague and has a strong connection with the element. He's the epitome of a comic book villain and I thought I'd try and concoct a backstory on the basis of those two things.
Edit: What I'm looking for here is how an elemental cult may work in the world of FR.

- Beastclan pirates - That's pretty much it. Haven't thought through this much. Coastal Beastclan tribes living on beaches and within seaside cliffs, seas stacks and overhangs. They survive mostly off of pirating and pillaging from local dragon clans.
The Stormclaw Showman already kinda looks like a pirate, that must have been the source of this madness.
Edit: What I'd like to do here is possibly gather interest around the concept and turn it into a roleplay or maybe even a subspecies (if you can do that with Beastclan)

Edit: I must have been too tired to pay attention to my own writing last night. Clarifing: What I was looking for mainly was roleplay ideas. ie I wanted to expand and develop these ideas through roleplay. Writing back and forth usually helps me come up and decide on things since I have to do so on the spot. I wanted to find people who were also interested in the ideas so we could could expand on it together (mainly the pirate stuff)

On a side note if anyone knows of a creative writing/brainstorming FR discord (Doesn't necessarily have to be FR related but that would be preferred) then that would be awesome. However, if something like this doesn't already exist, I'd be more than happy to put one together for anyone to join. We can share ideas and brainstorm writing prompts. I've got a couple ideas in my head for weekly prompts to help people out of writing funks and episodes of writer's block.
I'm a member of a similar chat that has monthly art prompts to help people with art block. It works wonders.

Also I wasn't sure if I posted this in the right forum or if this should be in RP or discussion or something along those lines. If so, sorry about that.
Thought I'd come to the forums for some advice and maybe brainstorming help with some ideas I had

- Plague Cult - I'm figuring a silent backstory for an OC of mine who is plague and has a strong connection with the element. He's the epitome of a comic book villain and I thought I'd try and concoct a backstory on the basis of those two things.
Edit: What I'm looking for here is how an elemental cult may work in the world of FR.

- Beastclan pirates - That's pretty much it. Haven't thought through this much. Coastal Beastclan tribes living on beaches and within seaside cliffs, seas stacks and overhangs. They survive mostly off of pirating and pillaging from local dragon clans.
The Stormclaw Showman already kinda looks like a pirate, that must have been the source of this madness.
Edit: What I'd like to do here is possibly gather interest around the concept and turn it into a roleplay or maybe even a subspecies (if you can do that with Beastclan)

Edit: I must have been too tired to pay attention to my own writing last night. Clarifing: What I was looking for mainly was roleplay ideas. ie I wanted to expand and develop these ideas through roleplay. Writing back and forth usually helps me come up and decide on things since I have to do so on the spot. I wanted to find people who were also interested in the ideas so we could could expand on it together (mainly the pirate stuff)

On a side note if anyone knows of a creative writing/brainstorming FR discord (Doesn't necessarily have to be FR related but that would be preferred) then that would be awesome. However, if something like this doesn't already exist, I'd be more than happy to put one together for anyone to join. We can share ideas and brainstorm writing prompts. I've got a couple ideas in my head for weekly prompts to help people out of writing funks and episodes of writer's block.
I'm a member of a similar chat that has monthly art prompts to help people with art block. It works wonders.

Also I wasn't sure if I posted this in the right forum or if this should be in RP or discussion or something along those lines. If so, sorry about that.
d6Bpz8P.pngCx0Sdv8.pngzWgdxzn.png5cC87Ar.png5Pvzltj.pngvAUMJFv.pngqKZAaLK.pngRFvdPMt.pngSLGMeHq.pngd3XCZt0.pngtumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o2_r2_250.gif
mz77kVn.png
@TheGodOfStories Creatively speaking, this does seem to be a good place for this kind of thread? Maybe? I'm not sure how much help I can be, and I'm not entirely sure what it is you're asking for, but I am going to give it my best college try. :D [center][b][font=antiqua][size=5]Plague Cult[/size][/font][/b][/center] Plague is the best (represent!), so I already approve of this OC. [b][font=antiqua]Key Words[/font][/b] [LIST] [*]From FR lore on World Map: survivors, strong, adaptable, savage, bones and armor of their enemies [*]Additional key words that can work: cruel, ruthless, devious, willing to sacrifice others, doesn't think through consequences [font=1](Slytherin, lol, jk, I am one, no joke)[/font] [*]More additional key words that can work: reflexive, resourceful, resilient, thick-skinned, not easily frightened/intimidated, fearless [/list] [font=antiqua][b]Non-Expert Plague Notions[/b][/font] [list] [*]Plague celebrate the cycle of life and death, "pitting themselves against the other elements," which can probably be interpreted as "Plague against the world" [*]As origin lore suggests, the Plaguebringer and Gladekeeper, while sisters, were hateful enemies that fought viciously, their elements are opposed in lore and in nature, but all flights are susceptible to rot and decay in one way or another (exceptions might be fire and ice, though, one burns away disease, the other slows decay) [*]Disease and rot are both rampant in Plague territory, which means that those who live there must either be immune entirely, have great immune systems to fight off whatever they encounter in their environment, have magic to help boost immunity or protect against whatever they encounter, etc. [*]The Wyrmwound, which resides in the center of Plague territory, is literally described as a "pustule lake" that kills or mutates anything that comes into contact with it, and it harbors "experimental strains of never-ending calamity" [*]The area around the Wyrmwound, the Rotrock Rim, is where "life" thrives the most in Plague territory, meaning Plague literally live on the edge of life and death, an accidental fall into the lake only a misstep away from where most Plague live. [*]To even get to Rotrock Rim, one must get through the Abiding Boneyard, a place that one can potentially get lost within "for centuries, or even eternity." [*]In a land where rot and ruin preside, rain might not be cleansing, if there even was any [/list] [font=antiqua][b]How these might manifest in your OC[/b][/font] [LIST] [*]antagonistic personality - constantly picking fights, physical and verbal [*]scarred from so many fights, appearing more intimidating, possibly causing more problems for him wherever he goes [*]scarred, physically altered/mutated due to prior or current disease (“experimental strains of never-ending calamity” + “rot and runaway viruses pulse through the landscape”) [*]alternatively, very strong immune system/never gets sick or it takes a great deal to make him sick [*]great/resourceful scavenger, if he comes from Plague territory he finds sustenance in a place where the Wyrmwound exists, or has an iron stomach and can eat basically anything with little nutrients and survive on minimal [*]very good navigational skills in order to navigate the Abiding Boneyard [*]wears the bones and armor of his fallen enemies/opponents [*]naturally destructive [*]doesn't care for the property, health, or well-being of those around him [*]strange fresh water obsession/hoarding habits [*]fascination with non-decayed objects and/or ownership of a lot of objects that show decay [/list] [font=antiqua][b]Additional things to consider[/b][/font] [list] [*]Comic book villains usually have comic book heroes as their nemesis/rival [*]They are usually foils for their rivals, created to contrast the hero's good traits; ergo, the rival--if you have one--can emphasize your OC's "bad/villain" or "Plague" traits (my favorite example of foil characters are Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy) [*]Foils are not always rivals, sometimes friends can contrast traits (i.e. "Dumb" friends can emphasize the "smart" trait, or strict rule-followers can emphasize another character's wild, reckless side) [/list] [center][b][font=antiqua][size=5]Beastclan Pirates[/size][/font][/b][/center] [font=antiqua][b]Really non-expert opinions/suggestions[/b] [i]Thanks to the movies and video games I've consumed[/i][/font] [list] [*]Pirates are yes. I approve of this idea. [*]Pirates visited pirate-y ports, too, had "safe" places they could visit with little-to-no military presence or enforcement (i.e. Tortuga and Shipwreck Island/Cove/City in Pirates of the Caribbean). [*]Maybe each different clan of beasts can be different… sect? Pack? Thought-group? Race? …of pirates, so all the Talonoks are bros and all the Serthis are bros, but they might squabble amongst each other for territory and pirating rights. Which also means that those contrary personality-types co-mingle in other pirate crews, and the crews defend their own even if certain ports look down on Longneck pirates and other ports refuse to serve Centaur pirates. [*]Dragons are like military presence/land-lubbers to the Beastclans in this case, but there are always those rebel dragons that join the Beastclan pirate crews, and the jolly pirates are fine with this so long as the dragons pull their weight. [*]In the spirit of pirate life, would dragons hang Beastclan pirates by the neck along the shores to ward off pirate activity? [/list] [center][font=gabriola]Fifteen men on a dead man's chest Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum Drink and the devil had done for the rest Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum. The mate was fixed by the bosun's pike The bosun brained with a marlinspike And cookey's throat was marked belike It had been gripped by fingers ten; And there they lay, all good dead men Like break o'day in a boozing ken. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.[/font][/center] Wow, I got way too into this really quickly. (*"w"*) I hope any of that helps you with your plans!
@TheGodOfStories
Creatively speaking, this does seem to be a good place for this kind of thread? Maybe? I'm not sure how much help I can be, and I'm not entirely sure what it is you're asking for, but I am going to give it my best college try. :D
Plague Cult
Plague is the best (represent!), so I already approve of this OC.

Key Words
  • From FR lore on World Map: survivors, strong, adaptable, savage, bones and armor of their enemies
  • Additional key words that can work: cruel, ruthless, devious, willing to sacrifice others, doesn't think through consequences (Slytherin, lol, jk, I am one, no joke)
  • More additional key words that can work: reflexive, resourceful, resilient, thick-skinned, not easily frightened/intimidated, fearless

Non-Expert Plague Notions
  • Plague celebrate the cycle of life and death, "pitting themselves against the other elements," which can probably be interpreted as "Plague against the world"
  • As origin lore suggests, the Plaguebringer and Gladekeeper, while sisters, were hateful enemies that fought viciously, their elements are opposed in lore and in nature, but all flights are susceptible to rot and decay in one way or another (exceptions might be fire and ice, though, one burns away disease, the other slows decay)
  • Disease and rot are both rampant in Plague territory, which means that those who live there must either be immune entirely, have great immune systems to fight off whatever they encounter in their environment, have magic to help boost immunity or protect against whatever they encounter, etc.
  • The Wyrmwound, which resides in the center of Plague territory, is literally described as a "pustule lake" that kills or mutates anything that comes into contact with it, and it harbors "experimental strains of never-ending calamity"
  • The area around the Wyrmwound, the Rotrock Rim, is where "life" thrives the most in Plague territory, meaning Plague literally live on the edge of life and death, an accidental fall into the lake only a misstep away from where most Plague live.
  • To even get to Rotrock Rim, one must get through the Abiding Boneyard, a place that one can potentially get lost within "for centuries, or even eternity."
  • In a land where rot and ruin preside, rain might not be cleansing, if there even was any

How these might manifest in your OC
  • antagonistic personality - constantly picking fights, physical and verbal
  • scarred from so many fights, appearing more intimidating, possibly causing more problems for him wherever he goes
  • scarred, physically altered/mutated due to prior or current disease (“experimental strains of never-ending calamity” + “rot and runaway viruses pulse through the landscape”)
  • alternatively, very strong immune system/never gets sick or it takes a great deal to make him sick
  • great/resourceful scavenger, if he comes from Plague territory he finds sustenance in a place where the Wyrmwound exists, or has an iron stomach and can eat basically anything with little nutrients and survive on minimal
  • very good navigational skills in order to navigate the Abiding Boneyard
  • wears the bones and armor of his fallen enemies/opponents
  • naturally destructive
  • doesn't care for the property, health, or well-being of those around him
  • strange fresh water obsession/hoarding habits
  • fascination with non-decayed objects and/or ownership of a lot of objects that show decay

Additional things to consider
  • Comic book villains usually have comic book heroes as their nemesis/rival
  • They are usually foils for their rivals, created to contrast the hero's good traits; ergo, the rival--if you have one--can emphasize your OC's "bad/villain" or "Plague" traits (my favorite example of foil characters are Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy)
  • Foils are not always rivals, sometimes friends can contrast traits (i.e. "Dumb" friends can emphasize the "smart" trait, or strict rule-followers can emphasize another character's wild, reckless side)

Beastclan Pirates

Really non-expert opinions/suggestions
Thanks to the movies and video games I've consumed
  • Pirates are yes. I approve of this idea.
  • Pirates visited pirate-y ports, too, had "safe" places they could visit with little-to-no military presence or enforcement (i.e. Tortuga and Shipwreck Island/Cove/City in Pirates of the Caribbean).
  • Maybe each different clan of beasts can be different… sect? Pack? Thought-group? Race? …of pirates, so all the Talonoks are bros and all the Serthis are bros, but they might squabble amongst each other for territory and pirating rights. Which also means that those contrary personality-types co-mingle in other pirate crews, and the crews defend their own even if certain ports look down on Longneck pirates and other ports refuse to serve Centaur pirates.
  • Dragons are like military presence/land-lubbers to the Beastclans in this case, but there are always those rebel dragons that join the Beastclan pirate crews, and the jolly pirates are fine with this so long as the dragons pull their weight.
  • In the spirit of pirate life, would dragons hang Beastclan pirates by the neck along the shores to ward off pirate activity?
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Drink and the devil had done for the rest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.
The mate was fixed by the bosun's pike
The bosun brained with a marlinspike
And cookey's throat was marked belike
It had been gripped by fingers ten;
And there they lay, all good dead men
Like break o'day in a boozing ken.
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Wow, I got way too into this really quickly. (*"w"*)
I hope any of that helps you with your plans!
tumblr_inline_nx3ctz80M11qm7hsw_250.png
@FlyingButtress

That was great! Mainly the pirate thing was what I was having trouble with! If I ever use your ideas, would you mind if I quoted you?
@FlyingButtress

That was great! Mainly the pirate thing was what I was having trouble with! If I ever use your ideas, would you mind if I quoted you?
d6Bpz8P.pngCx0Sdv8.pngzWgdxzn.png5cC87Ar.png5Pvzltj.pngvAUMJFv.pngqKZAaLK.pngRFvdPMt.pngSLGMeHq.pngd3XCZt0.pngtumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o2_r2_250.gif
mz77kVn.png
Edited since I apparently can't write or put my ideas into reasonable paragraphs when I'm tired kek
Edited since I apparently can't write or put my ideas into reasonable paragraphs when I'm tired kek
mz77kVn.png
bump
bump
mz77kVn.png
@TheGodOfStories

Quote me to your heart's content! (*IvI*) Really, I should have paid attention to the title of this thread. I think I got distracted by my excessive enthusiasm for Plague anything. And pirates in general.

And since I've already committed to this thread once, I am going to spew more nonsense that can hopefully help you more!

*However, what I have to say is a lot, and I don't have the time to finish writing it all, so instead, I'm going to post this, then come back and edit later (in a few hours, probably) just so you know more is coming! You are going to get way more information than you need, just so you know. ('v')
@TheGodOfStories

Quote me to your heart's content! (*IvI*) Really, I should have paid attention to the title of this thread. I think I got distracted by my excessive enthusiasm for Plague anything. And pirates in general.

And since I've already committed to this thread once, I am going to spew more nonsense that can hopefully help you more!

*However, what I have to say is a lot, and I don't have the time to finish writing it all, so instead, I'm going to post this, then come back and edit later (in a few hours, probably) just so you know more is coming! You are going to get way more information than you need, just so you know. ('v')
Haha ^^ Great! I can't wait! And just in case you didn't notice, I edited the op since what I typed last night wasn't very clear.
Haha ^^ Great! I can't wait! And just in case you didn't notice, I edited the op since what I typed last night wasn't very clear.
mz77kVn.png
@TheGodOfStories Phew! Took so much longer than I planned! ;.; [center][font=antiqua][size=5][b]What motivates a cult?[/b][/size][/font][/center] [font=antiqua][b]Initial (Non-Academic) Research[/b][/font] [list] [*]Cults offer something people need/want or think they need/want; “friendship, connections, identity, and an opportunity to make a contribution,” “…respect, and security. They also offer a worldview, a way of discerning right from wrong, good from bad…But they offer more: a structured lifestyle and the ability to acquire new skills…they also offer moral explanations for how the world works. They provide clear answers to difficult and big questions.” (Furnham, 2014) [*]They control their members; “Most cults start their induction by trying to stop both individualistic and critical thinking; like the army, their job is first to break you, then to remake you as one of them,” “The mind-controlling techniques of extremist groups…are in fact well known: demanding total, consistent compliance and conformity; using heavy persuasive techniques; creating dissonance; and emotional manipulation” (Furnham, 2014) [*]Those who join cults are not necessarily weak-minded and gullible, they just psychologically need something the cult offers and may be in a transitional period of life; “Applying misunderstood psychiatric labels to those who join extremist groups offers little or not explanation for their behavior…It is not so much their demography that is important as their psychological needs,” “Recruiters know that what they appear to have in common is they are at some transitional phase in their life: something has gone and not been replaced…In short, they often feel alienated.” (Furnham, 2014) [*]Cult members don’t necessarily think they’re part of a cult or that the group they’re in is bad, for them or others; “…believe they…are working for a cause, joining a political movement or new religion. Furthermore, they view these groups as noble and inspirational, initially ignorant to the dangerous attributes that can be present within the group. The attractiveness of the often simplistic lifestyle…overshadows their ability to identify the ‘red flags’” (Wikiversity, 2014) [*] Types of cults found on Wikiversity link: [list] [*] religious – marked by belief in a god or some higher being (Scientology, Jonestown) [*]eastern/spiritual – characterized by belief in spiritual enlightenment (Emissaries of Divine Light) [*]political – believe in overthrowing the ‘enemy’ and/or changing society (Manson family, Hitler and Nazis) [*]psychotherapy – strive for personal transformation and improvement (Silva Mind Control)[/list] [*]Cults are led by people naturally good at leadership but without integrity, dependability, or honesty; “Cult leaders often use deceit, mind control, and intimidation to control their group members, using the groups’ efforts and resources for their own prosperity and power” (Wikiversity, 2014) [center][columns] Leadership traits [list] [*]intelligence [*]sociability [*]self-confidence [*]determination [*]integrity [*]dependable [*]honest[/list] [nextcol]Cult leader techniques [list] [*]deceit [*]emphasis on exclusivism [*]fear and intimidation [*]mind control [*]character assassination [*]information control [*]time control[/list][/columns][/center] [/list] [font=antiqua][b](Not necessarily academically acceptable) Sources[/b][/font] [i](recommended reading for creating a totally-not-real RP cult)[/i] Furnham, Adrian. (Feb 2014). “Why do people join cults?” [i]Psychology Today[/i]. Retrieved from: [url=https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sideways-view/201402/why-do-people-join-cults]here[/url] Wikiversity. (2014). “Cults and motivation: What motivates people to join cults?” [i]Wikiversity[/i]. Retrieved from: [url=https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Motivation_and_emotion/Book/2014/Cults_and_motivation]here[/url] [center][font=antiqua][size=5][b]How might this apply to FR?[/b][/size][/font][/center] [font=antiqua][b]A Cult of Dragons[/b][/font] [list] [*]In FR, dragons have literally been created by gods who are not only present in their world, but active. This might make it harder, albeit not impossible, for a religious cult to thrive (because of interference from the god or gods). Possible alternatives: The Shade, old-world gods, another mythical/lore-related figure/creature, something entirely new. [*]Because of the diversity of dragon and elemental lore, and because of the nature of the site being played by actual human people (don’t tell anyone), all dragon cult members can be equally susceptible to joining a cult as humans are. [*]Certain types of dragons would be naturally more susceptible (definitely nocturnes), and the rest might have certain tricks that draw them in that wouldn’t work on other dragons. But dragons who are in clans that switch elemental loyalty or who travel from one clan to another or have no clan to call their own are in periods of transition and therefore also more susceptible. [*]Dragons who have also lost someone or something significant to them (another dragon, a familiar, their favorite apparel, their winning streak in the coliseum or the fairgrounds, even their eggs) would also be more susceptible. [*]Dragons who are not satisfied with their life may be convinced to join a cult that offers them something new, for instance, a new element (as in, not one of the 11) such as metal or acid or helium, or another concept such as the afterlife, reincarnation, etc. [/list] [font=antiqua][b]A Plague Cult[/b][/font] [list] [*]Dragons from Plague celebrate the cycle of life and death (which the Ouroboros can represent) and they’re constantly fighting in one form or another. They live on toxic, hostile terrain, a place where there are diseases and rot spreading rampant throughout, where the Wyrmwound festers at the very center of the land, helping to incubate new experimental strains designed by the Plaguebringer herself. [*]A Plague Cult can go numerous directions: a celebration of the mutations caused by the Wyrmwound/Plague territory in general; the goal to infect all dragons with the diseases created by the Wyrmwound; a movement driven by violence, fighting/maiming/killing to serve some cultic purpose; the complete annihilation of all creation and life/the Gladekeeper and her kin; the spreading of Plague territory, expansion of the Wandering Contagion that already naturally encroaches on other flights, etc. [*]What motivates the cult leader would most likely be different from what the purpose of the rest of the cult. Typically it seems cult leaders are after fame and the wealth of their members. For Plague, the cult leader might demand that all members pay a certain fee of treasure and/or gems every day to remain respectable members, and the amount they pay determines how much favor they get. [*]Alternatively, as a Plague cult, they may have daily skirmishes to determine a daily pecking order, or monthly battles to decide who gets what role within the group, with certain priority members excluded (i.e. the leader, trusted advisors, those who fund most of the activity) [/list] [font=antiqua][b]Extra thoughts[/b][/font] [list] [*]What happens when a Guardian takes the cult or cult leader as its Charge? Or if the dragon already its Charge joins the cult? Are the Guardians more or less susceptible to manipulation? Are they more or less motivated to make sure the cult thrives, making them even more enthusiastic to recruit or accomplish the goal of the cult? Or would they have more separation from cultic techniques because their mission is to protect it, making them an exception to mind control and manipulation? Would they be loyal to the cult no matter what? If the cult as a Charge is destroyed or disbanded, is that the failure of the Guardian to protect its Charge, or would that simply be the end of one mission and the beginning of a new Search? [*]Would any of the dragon gods try to interfere with a cult, providing more opposition for the cult to survive (possibly making it stronger politically and physically, attracting more members)? [/list] [center][font=antiqua][size=5][b]Beastclan Pirates[/b][/size][/font][/center] Beastclan pirates totally make sense, since according to the World Map, all regions touch water. It appears as though the Scarred Wasteland is the most protected because it has significantly less surface against bodies of water, with the exception of the southwest section that touches the Sea of a Thousand Currents (which in itself is surrounded by land and insulated from the broader sea around the rest of the land). Also, pirates would probably be less interested in raiding the clans of the Plague flight because those dragons would savagely defend their stocks, their stocks could probably be contaminated/protected by disease and rot, and the land is itself hostile. Sadly, I would not be able to participate in a pirate RP because it would take over my life and I would then neglect schoolwork. But I’m sure there are pirate RPers out there in the vast space of FR!
@TheGodOfStories

Phew! Took so much longer than I planned! ;.;
What motivates a cult?

Initial (Non-Academic) Research
  • Cults offer something people need/want or think they need/want; “friendship, connections, identity, and an opportunity to make a contribution,” “…respect, and security. They also offer a worldview, a way of discerning right from wrong, good from bad…But they offer more: a structured lifestyle and the ability to acquire new skills…they also offer moral explanations for how the world works. They provide clear answers to difficult and big questions.” (Furnham, 2014)
  • They control their members; “Most cults start their induction by trying to stop both individualistic and critical thinking; like the army, their job is first to break you, then to remake you as one of them,” “The mind-controlling techniques of extremist groups…are in fact well known: demanding total, consistent compliance and conformity; using heavy persuasive techniques; creating dissonance; and emotional manipulation” (Furnham, 2014)
  • Those who join cults are not necessarily weak-minded and gullible, they just psychologically need something the cult offers and may be in a transitional period of life; “Applying misunderstood psychiatric labels to those who join extremist groups offers little or not explanation for their behavior…It is not so much their demography that is important as their psychological needs,” “Recruiters know that what they appear to have in common is they are at some transitional phase in their life: something has gone and not been replaced…In short, they often feel alienated.” (Furnham, 2014)
  • Cult members don’t necessarily think they’re part of a cult or that the group they’re in is bad, for them or others; “…believe they…are working for a cause, joining a political movement or new religion. Furthermore, they view these groups as noble and inspirational, initially ignorant to the dangerous attributes that can be present within the group. The attractiveness of the often simplistic lifestyle…overshadows their ability to identify the ‘red flags’” (Wikiversity, 2014)
  • Types of cults found on Wikiversity link:
    • religious – marked by belief in a god or some higher being (Scientology, Jonestown)
    • eastern/spiritual – characterized by belief in spiritual enlightenment (Emissaries of Divine Light)
    • political – believe in overthrowing the ‘enemy’ and/or changing society (Manson family, Hitler and Nazis)
    • psychotherapy – strive for personal transformation and improvement (Silva Mind Control)
  • Cults are led by people naturally good at leadership but without integrity, dependability, or honesty; “Cult leaders often use deceit, mind control, and intimidation to control their group members, using the groups’ efforts and resources for their own prosperity and power” (Wikiversity, 2014)
    Leadership traits
    • intelligence
    • sociability
    • self-confidence
    • determination
    • integrity
    • dependable
    • honest
    Cult leader techniques
    • deceit
    • emphasis on exclusivism
    • fear and intimidation
    • mind control
    • character assassination
    • information control
    • time control

(Not necessarily academically acceptable) Sources
(recommended reading for creating a totally-not-real RP cult)

Furnham, Adrian. (Feb 2014). “Why do people join cults?” Psychology Today. Retrieved from: here

Wikiversity. (2014). “Cults and motivation: What motivates people to join cults?” Wikiversity. Retrieved from: here

How might this apply to FR?
A Cult of Dragons
  • In FR, dragons have literally been created by gods who are not only present in their world, but active. This might make it harder, albeit not impossible, for a religious cult to thrive (because of interference from the god or gods). Possible alternatives: The Shade, old-world gods, another mythical/lore-related figure/creature, something entirely new.
  • Because of the diversity of dragon and elemental lore, and because of the nature of the site being played by actual human people (don’t tell anyone), all dragon cult members can be equally susceptible to joining a cult as humans are.
  • Certain types of dragons would be naturally more susceptible (definitely nocturnes), and the rest might have certain tricks that draw them in that wouldn’t work on other dragons. But dragons who are in clans that switch elemental loyalty or who travel from one clan to another or have no clan to call their own are in periods of transition and therefore also more susceptible.
  • Dragons who have also lost someone or something significant to them (another dragon, a familiar, their favorite apparel, their winning streak in the coliseum or the fairgrounds, even their eggs) would also be more susceptible.
  • Dragons who are not satisfied with their life may be convinced to join a cult that offers them something new, for instance, a new element (as in, not one of the 11) such as metal or acid or helium, or another concept such as the afterlife, reincarnation, etc.

A Plague Cult
  • Dragons from Plague celebrate the cycle of life and death (which the Ouroboros can represent) and they’re constantly fighting in one form or another. They live on toxic, hostile terrain, a place where there are diseases and rot spreading rampant throughout, where the Wyrmwound festers at the very center of the land, helping to incubate new experimental strains designed by the Plaguebringer herself.
  • A Plague Cult can go numerous directions: a celebration of the mutations caused by the Wyrmwound/Plague territory in general; the goal to infect all dragons with the diseases created by the Wyrmwound; a movement driven by violence, fighting/maiming/killing to serve some cultic purpose; the complete annihilation of all creation and life/the Gladekeeper and her kin; the spreading of Plague territory, expansion of the Wandering Contagion that already naturally encroaches on other flights, etc.
  • What motivates the cult leader would most likely be different from what the purpose of the rest of the cult. Typically it seems cult leaders are after fame and the wealth of their members. For Plague, the cult leader might demand that all members pay a certain fee of treasure and/or gems every day to remain respectable members, and the amount they pay determines how much favor they get.
  • Alternatively, as a Plague cult, they may have daily skirmishes to determine a daily pecking order, or monthly battles to decide who gets what role within the group, with certain priority members excluded (i.e. the leader, trusted advisors, those who fund most of the activity)
Extra thoughts
  • What happens when a Guardian takes the cult or cult leader as its Charge? Or if the dragon already its Charge joins the cult? Are the Guardians more or less susceptible to manipulation? Are they more or less motivated to make sure the cult thrives, making them even more enthusiastic to recruit or accomplish the goal of the cult? Or would they have more separation from cultic techniques because their mission is to protect it, making them an exception to mind control and manipulation? Would they be loyal to the cult no matter what? If the cult as a Charge is destroyed or disbanded, is that the failure of the Guardian to protect its Charge, or would that simply be the end of one mission and the beginning of a new Search?
  • Would any of the dragon gods try to interfere with a cult, providing more opposition for the cult to survive (possibly making it stronger politically and physically, attracting more members)?

Beastclan Pirates
Beastclan pirates totally make sense, since according to the World Map, all regions touch water. It appears as though the Scarred Wasteland is the most protected because it has significantly less surface against bodies of water, with the exception of the southwest section that touches the Sea of a Thousand Currents (which in itself is surrounded by land and insulated from the broader sea around the rest of the land). Also, pirates would probably be less interested in raiding the clans of the Plague flight because those dragons would savagely defend their stocks, their stocks could probably be contaminated/protected by disease and rot, and the land is itself hostile.

Sadly, I would not be able to participate in a pirate RP because it would take over my life and I would then neglect schoolwork. But I’m sure there are pirate RPers out there in the vast space of FR!
@FlyingButtress

Dang! You did a lot of research on this! heh That makes me ecstatic that you're that interested in my idea! For whatever reason the concept of how/why cult leaders do what they do and the types of members they entice into their cults, hadn't crossed my mind! That will definitely help with my characters! I feel silly for not thinking of that hehe But that's amazing! Thank you for all of this! Although you say roleplaying will take up too much time, would you ever like to talk more on this? When I get the chance (some time this week hopefully 'cause I'm freakin' pumped now) I'll incorporate this around the characters!
@FlyingButtress

Dang! You did a lot of research on this! heh That makes me ecstatic that you're that interested in my idea! For whatever reason the concept of how/why cult leaders do what they do and the types of members they entice into their cults, hadn't crossed my mind! That will definitely help with my characters! I feel silly for not thinking of that hehe But that's amazing! Thank you for all of this! Although you say roleplaying will take up too much time, would you ever like to talk more on this? When I get the chance (some time this week hopefully 'cause I'm freakin' pumped now) I'll incorporate this around the characters!
mz77kVn.png
@TheGodOfStories

A different perspective is always helpful! And I thoroughly enjoyed this research/theorizing! That probably betrays the kind of person I am (darkest of the dark hearts, blackest of the black souls, lol). For some reason, engaging in theoretical brainstorming takes up way less brain space for me than creative writing. (-v-)

I would love to RP (I haven't in years because lazy and college, in that order), but I am the kind of person that would take personal responsibility for having to prioritize schoolwork over fun work, and then I would feel like I was detracting from the RP. Or I would totally throw school to the wind and start dressing up as my characters IRL and then not only would I have to drop out, I would probably get tossed into the crazy place. ('v') (Slight overshare: at this point, I might prefer the crazy place because it would be saner than what I'm doing now).

So! In summary! I will be on standby for more brainstorming, theorizing, bouncing around of ideas, and even character/world design! I think those things are some of the best parts of creative writing, plus "the next part" wouldn't necessarily be dependent on my timely response. (-v-)"

I am now dubbing myself your own personal RP brainstormer, if that's alright with you. I have clearly already dedicated so much, I may as well commit further. ('w')

Depending on how things go in my life, I may eventually cave and RP something, though. I think it's just better that you don't depend on me for that right now. :] For everything else, though, all the thumbs up.
@TheGodOfStories

A different perspective is always helpful! And I thoroughly enjoyed this research/theorizing! That probably betrays the kind of person I am (darkest of the dark hearts, blackest of the black souls, lol). For some reason, engaging in theoretical brainstorming takes up way less brain space for me than creative writing. (-v-)

I would love to RP (I haven't in years because lazy and college, in that order), but I am the kind of person that would take personal responsibility for having to prioritize schoolwork over fun work, and then I would feel like I was detracting from the RP. Or I would totally throw school to the wind and start dressing up as my characters IRL and then not only would I have to drop out, I would probably get tossed into the crazy place. ('v') (Slight overshare: at this point, I might prefer the crazy place because it would be saner than what I'm doing now).

So! In summary! I will be on standby for more brainstorming, theorizing, bouncing around of ideas, and even character/world design! I think those things are some of the best parts of creative writing, plus "the next part" wouldn't necessarily be dependent on my timely response. (-v-)"

I am now dubbing myself your own personal RP brainstormer, if that's alright with you. I have clearly already dedicated so much, I may as well commit further. ('w')

Depending on how things go in my life, I may eventually cave and RP something, though. I think it's just better that you don't depend on me for that right now. :] For everything else, though, all the thumbs up.
1 2