Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 78 79
@ClaverDual I'm glad you like it! I'm using it to work on revamping the character section on the front page, including a cameo section for dragons outside Windkeep Tower who have made an appearance... [emoji=tundra winking]
@ClaverDual

I'm glad you like it! I'm using it to work on revamping the character section on the front page, including a cameo section for dragons outside Windkeep Tower who have made an appearance...
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall

COOL map! And yeah, sure I'll send you a message sometime later :)
@Petall

COOL map! And yeah, sure I'll send you a message sometime later :)
Tirtouga | FR +16 | she/her

@Tirtouga678 Thank you! And I'm looking forward to it! [emoji=coatl laughing]
@Tirtouga678

Thank you! And I'm looking forward to it!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall This is really cool-looking! I really like the floor layout image; it's heckin' rad. My absolute favorite part is how the prison is empty and always has been. I like to imagine dragons sneaking inside just for some peace and quiet. xD
@Petall This is really cool-looking! I really like the floor layout image; it's heckin' rad. My absolute favorite part is how the prison is empty and always has been. I like to imagine dragons sneaking inside just for some peace and quiet. xD
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Petall
Woah, sweet!!! It's been a while since I've read this; can't wait to catch up :D That map looks awesome.
@Petall
Woah, sweet!!! It's been a while since I've read this; can't wait to catch up :D That map looks awesome.
oie-6215725-UHAIb-VYJ.png
AzWEmYL.png Call me Ari!
AzWEmYL.png FR +3
AzWEmYL.png He/She/They
_________________________________ genderfluid.png
@Disillusionist

I'm so glad you like it!

@Aetherstorm

Thank you!!! I hope you enjoy catching up!
@Disillusionist

I'm so glad you like it!

@Aetherstorm

Thank you!!! I hope you enjoy catching up!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/54#post_38197643]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 99: Double Dare[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49062279] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/490623/49062279_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49769280] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/497693/49769280_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49730873] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/497309/49730873_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] The three were out of breath by the time they landed on the cliffs overlooking the Sea of a Thousand Currents. The sun shone high above them, though its warmth could scarcely be felt against the wind the blew over their heads and out to the expansive waters beyond. With a sigh, Luster pulled out a shiny grey stone from his pouch and began fixing it to to his filigree with glue. Rori stared at him expectantly. "So, you won our bet, what's my dare?" She asked, kneading the ground in anticipation. "Rumor has is some creepy hermit witch has made a home in the cliffside caves." Luster said with a wide grin. "Oh yes!" Rori exclaimed. "No!" Kipling shouted at the same time. He had heard these rumors too, but rather than excitement, the thought filled him with unease. "What's the matter, Kip?" Luster taunted. "Scared?" "Me? Never." Kipling responded, knowing full well his frills portrayed otherwise. "You don't have to do anything if you don't want to, it's my dare." Rori reassured him, but Kipling was hardly listening. He had a strong feeling this so-called witch was related to the message he had received almost a year ago at Trickmurk Circus, a message he had been ignoring. "Really? You're going to let him get away with the boring option?" Luster sighed. "Fine then. Your loss." "What do I have to do?" Rori asked. "It's simple. You just need to go into the caves and find the witch. We can be the ones to prove that she exists, and if she does, we'll find out what she's doing here." Luster explained. "I like it." Rori's eyes gleamed. "I assume you're coming?" "To make sure you can't chicken out like Kipling here? Of course." Luster said, an impish expression on his face. "Are you sure you're fine staying here?" Rori asked Kipling. "Yeah, I'll keep watch!" Kipling offered, trying to appear joyful. "Alright then, let's go!" And with that, Rori and Luster disappeared down the cliff face, leaving Kipling alone with the wind. Kipling settled on the top of the cliff and looked out over the sea, trying to calm his nerves. Sullene wasn't dangerous, just creepy. He had no reason to be afraid. Her whole message had just been a Trickmurk gimmick. Kipling tried to focus on other things, like the dragons and ships he saw passing the in the distance, or the birds soaring through the skies. Rori and Luster were sure taking a long time. Were they okay? The sun had began to sink lower in the sky and was nearing the horizon. How long should he wait before going in after them. By the time the bright colours of the sunset painted the sky, Kipling was beyond anxious. Just as he vowed to go in after them and see what was taking them so long, he heard the sound of something large shuffling behind him. A wave of relief washed over him. Rori was sneaking up on him. He spun around, only to be faced with the very dragon he had wanted to avoid. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45272616] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/452727/45272616_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Hey, how are you doing?" Kipling asked, trying to relieve any awkwardness. "Have you remembered your destiny, little one?" Sullene asked. "Oh, we're cutting right to the chase then." Kipling said. "It appears you have forgotten." Sullene shook her head. "Every time, it is always the same. No one heeds my warning, no one believes me until destruction comes." "Maybe you should try being a little less creepy?" Kipling suggested. "This is not a time for jokes, little one." Sullene snapped. "You have a destiny and you cannot avoid it. Already you have tarried enough. Get the help your clan needs, or you will all perish." "Alright, no pressure or anything." Kipling muttered. "I don't know where to start, or where to look." He admitted. "You will find a way." Sullene promised. "You can't just leave me like that! Help me out a little here!" Kipling was growing exasperated. "If you really care, if you really want to succeed, you'll help me!" "You already have all the help you need." Sullene promised. "I see you have friends. Such company is valuable in times like these. You must not keep this from them. As for the rest, you have the resources already, you only need to look." "Just give me a hint, at least!" Kipling begged. Sullene closed her eyes and Kipling was sure she was going to refuse. After what seemed like ages, she opened them again. "The signs are not clear, my gift specializes in disaster not salvation. All I can say is that your strand of destiny is linked to events elsewhere. You will have to be creative to find the help that you seek, but in the process you may be able to prevent another disaster from taking place." And with that, Sullene spread her wings, leaving Kipling in shadow, and flew over his head. When he turned around to see her go, she was already out of sight. He stared out at the vibrant sky, trying to piece together everything he had been told. It appeared this was not something he could run from. "Who was that you were talking to? Did you see the witch?" Rori's voice sounded behind him. Kipling turned to see his friends running up to him. Seeing their bright faces, his encounter faded to the back of his mind. Everything was fine, the clan was safe. This could wait. "No, it was just a dragon asking for directions." Kipling lied. "Did you find anything?" "No..." Rori sighed, wings drooping. "The caves are empty." "It appears my sources are not as reliable as I thought." Luster said sheepishly. "When are they ever?" Kipling teased. "Hey!" Luster swatted at Kipling jokingly. "You take that back!" "Never!" Kipling said taking off. Luster followed in pursuit. "Oh my goodness, what time is it? I'm supposed to be singing tonight! I've got to get back to the Copper Lotus!" Rori exclaimed, taking off and overtaking her friends. Her wingbeats overhead tossed Kipling and Luster to the ground. "Hey, wait for us!" Luster grumbled, trying to get to his feet again. "Yeah, we want to hear you sing!" Kipling shouted, trying to crawl out from under the weight of Luster's tail. But Rori was too far gone. "Bet I can beat you there!" Luster shouted, springing into the air. "No fair!" Kipling shouted as he fluttered after his friend. "You were on top of me!" "You snooze, you lose!" ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/55#post_38269965]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11 @Tirtouga678[/center] ----- Guess who is on track with her homework again and will very soon be posting regularly as soon as my classes are done in a couple weeks!

Chapter 99: Double Dare

49062279_350.png

49769280_350.png

49730873_350.png

The three were out of breath by the time they landed on the cliffs overlooking the Sea of a Thousand Currents. The sun shone high above them, though its warmth could scarcely be felt against the wind the blew over their heads and out to the expansive waters beyond.

With a sigh, Luster pulled out a shiny grey stone from his pouch and began fixing it to to his filigree with glue. Rori stared at him expectantly.

"So, you won our bet, what's my dare?" She asked, kneading the ground in anticipation.

"Rumor has is some creepy hermit witch has made a home in the cliffside caves." Luster said with a wide grin.

"Oh yes!" Rori exclaimed.

"No!" Kipling shouted at the same time. He had heard these rumors too, but rather than excitement, the thought filled him with unease.

"What's the matter, Kip?" Luster taunted. "Scared?"

"Me? Never." Kipling responded, knowing full well his frills portrayed otherwise.

"You don't have to do anything if you don't want to, it's my dare." Rori reassured him, but Kipling was hardly listening. He had a strong feeling this so-called witch was related to the message he had received almost a year ago at Trickmurk Circus, a message he had been ignoring.

"Really? You're going to let him get away with the boring option?" Luster sighed. "Fine then. Your loss."

"What do I have to do?" Rori asked.

"It's simple. You just need to go into the caves and find the witch. We can be the ones to prove that she exists, and if she does, we'll find out what she's doing here." Luster explained.

"I like it." Rori's eyes gleamed. "I assume you're coming?"

"To make sure you can't chicken out like Kipling here? Of course." Luster said, an impish expression on his face.

"Are you sure you're fine staying here?" Rori asked Kipling.

"Yeah, I'll keep watch!" Kipling offered, trying to appear joyful.

"Alright then, let's go!" And with that, Rori and Luster disappeared down the cliff face, leaving Kipling alone with the wind.

Kipling settled on the top of the cliff and looked out over the sea, trying to calm his nerves. Sullene wasn't dangerous, just creepy. He had no reason to be afraid. Her whole message had just been a Trickmurk gimmick.

Kipling tried to focus on other things, like the dragons and ships he saw passing the in the distance, or the birds soaring through the skies. Rori and Luster were sure taking a long time. Were they okay? The sun had began to sink lower in the sky and was nearing the horizon. How long should he wait before going in after them.

By the time the bright colours of the sunset painted the sky, Kipling was beyond anxious. Just as he vowed to go in after them and see what was taking them so long, he heard the sound of something large shuffling behind him. A wave of relief washed over him. Rori was sneaking up on him. He spun around, only to be faced with the very dragon he had wanted to avoid.

"Hey, how are you doing?" Kipling asked, trying to relieve any awkwardness.

"Have you remembered your destiny, little one?" Sullene asked.

"Oh, we're cutting right to the chase then." Kipling said.

"It appears you have forgotten." Sullene shook her head. "Every time, it is always the same. No one heeds my warning, no one believes me until destruction comes."

"Maybe you should try being a little less creepy?" Kipling suggested.

"This is not a time for jokes, little one." Sullene snapped. "You have a destiny and you cannot avoid it. Already you have tarried enough. Get the help your clan needs, or you will all perish."

"Alright, no pressure or anything." Kipling muttered. "I don't know where to start, or where to look." He admitted.

"You will find a way." Sullene promised.

"You can't just leave me like that! Help me out a little here!" Kipling was growing exasperated. "If you really care, if you really want to succeed, you'll help me!"

"You already have all the help you need." Sullene promised. "I see you have friends. Such company is valuable in times like these. You must not keep this from them. As for the rest, you have the resources already, you only need to look."

"Just give me a hint, at least!" Kipling begged.

Sullene closed her eyes and Kipling was sure she was going to refuse. After what seemed like ages, she opened them again. "The signs are not clear, my gift specializes in disaster not salvation. All I can say is that your strand of destiny is linked to events elsewhere. You will have to be creative to find the help that you seek, but in the process you may be able to prevent another disaster from taking place."

And with that, Sullene spread her wings, leaving Kipling in shadow, and flew over his head. When he turned around to see her go, she was already out of sight. He stared out at the vibrant sky, trying to piece together everything he had been told. It appeared this was not something he could run from.

"Who was that you were talking to? Did you see the witch?" Rori's voice sounded behind him. Kipling turned to see his friends running up to him. Seeing their bright faces, his encounter faded to the back of his mind. Everything was fine, the clan was safe. This could wait.

"No, it was just a dragon asking for directions." Kipling lied. "Did you find anything?"

"No..." Rori sighed, wings drooping. "The caves are empty."

"It appears my sources are not as reliable as I thought." Luster said sheepishly.

"When are they ever?" Kipling teased.

"Hey!" Luster swatted at Kipling jokingly. "You take that back!"

"Never!" Kipling said taking off. Luster followed in pursuit.

"Oh my goodness, what time is it? I'm supposed to be singing tonight! I've got to get back to the Copper Lotus!" Rori exclaimed, taking off and overtaking her friends. Her wingbeats overhead tossed Kipling and Luster to the ground.

"Hey, wait for us!" Luster grumbled, trying to get to his feet again.

"Yeah, we want to hear you sing!" Kipling shouted, trying to crawl out from under the weight of Luster's tail. But Rori was too far gone.

"Bet I can beat you there!" Luster shouted, springing into the air.

"No fair!" Kipling shouted as he fluttered after his friend. "You were on top of me!"

"You snooze, you lose!"

Guess who is on track with her homework again and will very soon be posting regularly as soon as my classes are done in a couple weeks!
@Petall Bahaha! When Luster mentioned a witch, I knew this was going to be good. I lol'd so hard at him repairing his filigree, and also at Sullene popping up behind Kipling.

"Maybe you should try being a little less creepy?"

You tell 'er, Kip! Seriously, I love how Sullene's going around imparting cryptic advice and messages, and Kipling just straight-up tells her, "You creepy. STAAAAHHP" X33
@Petall Bahaha! When Luster mentioned a witch, I knew this was going to be good. I lol'd so hard at him repairing his filigree, and also at Sullene popping up behind Kipling.

"Maybe you should try being a little less creepy?"

You tell 'er, Kip! Seriously, I love how Sullene's going around imparting cryptic advice and messages, and Kipling just straight-up tells her, "You creepy. STAAAAHHP" X33
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist I'm so glad you enjoyed it! [emoji=new friend] Kipling's pretty good at defusing tension like that! XD It's his defense mechanism
@Disillusionist

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Kipling's pretty good at defusing tension like that! XD It's his defense mechanism
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/55#post_38231641]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 100: Mistral Bells[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49062279] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/490623/49062279_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Kipling felt at home in the crowds of dragons filling the outdoor marketplace. The air was alight with bells and laughter of festival-goers. Windkeep Tower had pulled out all the stops to greet this cycle's Mistral Jamboree. Banners flew from every opening and the clan had never been so colourful. He was supposed to be meeting up with Luster and Rori, but so far he had been unable to find them in the bustle of the events. Luster claimed to have found a stash of jamboree souvenirs, so perhaps he had gotten caught up in stall-keeping. Rori had mentioned the possibility of singing at some of the arts events, perhaps she had been caught up in one of those too. Though Kipling wished he could spend the first day of the new year with his friends, he could make his own fun. He did a flip at the thought and let out a giggle of delight. Nothing could spoil his day! He was on top of the world. He hardly knew where to begin... He was soon distracted by the scent of food filling the air. It was nearing lunch time and the food vendors must be cooking up a storm. Come to think of it, he could do with some lunch- [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38414705] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/384148/38414705_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Hey, Kip!" Merry's voice rang through the air as the fae slipped through the crowd to connect with Kipling. "Merry! How are you doing?" Kipling exclaimed, performing an elaborate airborne handshake with his friend. "This is a pretty great jamboree. I've never seen one so good. I'm sure this one will go down in history!" Merry exclaimed. Kipling laughed. "Are you doing any special storytelling this year?" "Are you kidding?" Merry pretended to look wounded. "I'm running a whole story corner! Mind you, my only patrons so far have been hatchlings. Not that hatchlings are a bad thing, they make fora great audience. I hope Sacredscream hasn't been spreading any bad press... He's running a history stand with Pheonix and he says my stories aren't 'accurate' enough. That tundra seriously needs to grow an imagination..." "Is there anything I can do to help?" Kipling asked. Kipling so rarely looked this dejected. "Could you help me out with a story this afternoon? You're basically the prince of Windkeep Tower. Dragons will come to see you even if they don't care much for my stories." Merry suggested. "I don't know about that." Kipling shifted his weight uncomfortably. "Of come on, you wouldn't have to do much, just act out the heroic scenes while I read them!" Merry said. "Oh alright, why not? It can't be that bad." Kipling agreed. "Yes! Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver!" Merry let out a breath. "I've already made the signs and everything." "No probl- wait what?" Kipling asked. "Merry, you haven't been advertising me as a prince, have you? Because I'm not a prince, I'm just an ordinary Windkeep Tower resident." "Are you saying I don't know a true hero when I see one? Kip, I am truly insulted!" Merry put a hand to his chest, feigning hurt again. "A good exaggeration is what makes for a good story. Most of the dragons who are coming will be gone by the end of the jamboree, might as well give them a good story to tell. And anyone else who comes knows that you aren't really a prince, so there's nothing to worry about." "If you say so." Kipling rolled his eyes and shook his head, but he couldn't keep a grin off his face. "So, do I need to do anything to prepare?" "Let's talk about it over lunch." Merry decided. "I'm famished." [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] [i]"When Prince Ty entered the cave, he heard the scraping of claws against stone. They rattled harshly, sending shivers down his spine, but he was not afraid. He had trained for this, and he was not going to let anything get in-between him and his destiny. He would face any challenge thrown at him, battle any monster."[/i] Merry's voice rang out over the ampithetre. The audience was silent and hanging onto his every word. Dragons of all flights, breeds and ages sat in the stands. Some were clearly families with hatchlings, but it appeared Merry's advertising had drawn in many bystanders, and the crowd only grew with time as the sound of his dulcet tones rode the breeze towards the main marketplace. Kipling held a wooden sword in his hands and was dressed in a cardboard armor costume. Around him, Merry had used some magic to set a bit of a shadowy set for him to act in. This performance was lots more fun than he had expected. Kipling found he was getting more into the story the more it went, and he could hardly wait to see how Prince Ty would defeat the evil queen and avenge the death of his mother. [i]"'Who goes there!' Prince Ty called into the darkness, not allowing his voice to waver. He drew his sword, bracing himself for an ambush. But none came. He strained his eyes in the darkness, wishing he hadn't traded his light orb for his most recent meal. It had not done much to cushion his hunger." "Suddenly, from the darkness, a voice rang out. 'Leave this place. Dark magic runs deep here.' The words were clearly draconic. The villagers had been wrong, a beast did not inhabit this cave. It was a dragon. Unless of course this dragon was a prisoner of the beast." "'Do you need help? I am here to free you!' Ty called out." "The other dragon simply laughed. 'You're not from around here, are you. Everyone in the village knows better than to enter the lair of a moon warrior.'" "'Moon warrior?' In all of his travels and schooling he had never heard of such a thing." "'The disgrace of the shadow flight. We have forsaken the darkness to join the light, but at a terrible price. If you were smart, you'd leave here.' The warrior responded, clearly amused by the fae's ignorance. It dawned on Ty that she must be very lonely, living her life in a cave." "'I was told by the oracle if I discovered the secrets of the shadows, I would have a chance to save my kingdom.' Ty announced." "'You're wasting your time. Moon warriors powers are only at their strongest when the moon shines the brightest. Unfortunately, that means our power is only the strongest where it is naturally darkest, and no shadow clan would defile themselves by seeking such aid.' The warrior explained." "'What is the point in hiding away like this? Come with me, and I will find you a place where your powers are respected. You can run the military in my kingdom if you so desire. Help me, and anything you want is yours.' Ty was getting desperate. He was very aware of how the sands in his hourglass were running short. He could not stay much longer." "'I want the name of moon warriors cleared in all of Sornieth, if you can promise me this than I will help you.' The warrior vowed." "'I promise, it will be my first degree as king.' Ty responded. 'I swear it on the grave of my mother. All moon warriors will be welcome in my kingdom, and we will work to give them freedom in all eleven flights.'" "The moon warrior considered this for a moment. 'Very well.' she said at last. 'I can tell you are of noble heart and spirit. You are worthy of your crown, and I will help you reclaim it. Now, if you can release me from the chains that bind me, we can fly far away from here.'" "It was then that Ty realized the scraping he had heard was not from talons, but from barbed chains that held her. The villagers had imprisoned her here, there was no beast, they simply wanted Ty to do their dirty work for them. Anger burned within him. Once he became king, he would put a stop to such practices. With two deft movements, he swung the sword and released the warrior from her chains." "'Let's get out of here before they realize what you have done.' The warrior urged, spreading her wings." "'Tell me your name." Ty asked as he spread his wings and followed her out of the cave." "'It has bee a long time since anyone called me by name, but I was once known as Eclipse.'" The moon warrior responded. As she uttered her name, they broke out of the cave and the cool night air rushed over their scales. A smile broke across the moon warrior's face, and she could not help but do a flip." "Little did the two of them know, but they had not escaped unnoticed. A villager hid in the brambles, having been sent to ensure the deed was done. He would return to the village with news of her escape."[/i] As Merry finished speaking, silence hung across the expanse. Kipling hovered, unsure of what to do. "Is that it?" Kipling asked. "Come back tomorrow for the rest of the story." Merry announced. "Our time has run short and we must pass over use of the amphitheater to a lovely troupe of dancers." He gestured to the large hourglass as he spoke. "Do not worry, our adventure is not yet over." The audience clapped, and began filing out. A low but excited murmur filled the air as they went. "I have a confession to make." Merry sighed. "What is it?" Kipling asked. "The rest of this story has been lost to time. I admit I do not know how this one ends. Shortly after the escape, a fire swept through the village, destroying all records. There were few survivors. Prince Ty and Eclipse never appeared at any other point in history. Many say it was just a legend, but rarely are legends so unfinished." Merry shook his head. "That went over so well, I shall have to invent the rest of their escapades. I'm afraid I got too carried away with expanding Ty's history. No one even knows if he was a prince, but royalty is so much more exciting than some ordinary passerby." "Do you need help with that?" Kipling asked. "Don't worry about it!" A smile returned to Merry's face. "It will be fun! This is what I do! If I wanted to tell history, I'd be at Sacredscream's boring stand! I'm not here to spread the truth, I'm here to give everyone a good time!" Kipling couldn't help but grin at Merry's optimism. The joy did not last long, however. As the two faes were leaving, Kipling caught sight of a huling shape in the bamboo. With a gleam of bone, he was almost certain it was Sullene. Why did she have to be here, now? Couldn't he enjoy the jamboree in peace? As he looked closer, he caught her gaze. His heart sank. She was going to come to talk to him. To his surprise, she moved no closer, she just winked and shambled away. Kipling stared at the empty bamboo. Was that a hint? How long was she standing there? Has she heard Merry's story? Did the story contain the answers he needed? Was a moon warrior the answer? "Kip? You alright?" Merry's voice broke through his thoughts. "I think I just had an idea." Kipling said quietly. "What?" "I need to find Luster and Rori. Now." And with that, Kipling took the skies, leaving Merry to pack up alone. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/56#post_38302287]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11 @Tirtouga678[/center] ----- Yes, I did time is to chapter #100 was my Mistral Jamboree update! I'm so excited to be getting this story rolling! I hope you all are enjoying the jamboree! I am loving everything about it! It's probably been one of my favourite festivals in a while!

Chapter 100: Mistral Bells

49062279_350.png

Kipling felt at home in the crowds of dragons filling the outdoor marketplace. The air was alight with bells and laughter of festival-goers. Windkeep Tower had pulled out all the stops to greet this cycle's Mistral Jamboree. Banners flew from every opening and the clan had never been so colourful.

He was supposed to be meeting up with Luster and Rori, but so far he had been unable to find them in the bustle of the events. Luster claimed to have found a stash of jamboree souvenirs, so perhaps he had gotten caught up in stall-keeping. Rori had mentioned the possibility of singing at some of the arts events, perhaps she had been caught up in one of those too.

Though Kipling wished he could spend the first day of the new year with his friends, he could make his own fun. He did a flip at the thought and let out a giggle of delight. Nothing could spoil his day! He was on top of the world. He hardly knew where to begin...

He was soon distracted by the scent of food filling the air. It was nearing lunch time and the food vendors must be cooking up a storm. Come to think of it, he could do with some lunch-

"Hey, Kip!" Merry's voice rang through the air as the fae slipped through the crowd to connect with Kipling.

"Merry! How are you doing?" Kipling exclaimed, performing an elaborate airborne handshake with his friend.

"This is a pretty great jamboree. I've never seen one so good. I'm sure this one will go down in history!" Merry exclaimed.

Kipling laughed. "Are you doing any special storytelling this year?"

"Are you kidding?" Merry pretended to look wounded. "I'm running a whole story corner! Mind you, my only patrons so far have been hatchlings. Not that hatchlings are a bad thing, they make fora great audience. I hope Sacredscream hasn't been spreading any bad press... He's running a history stand with Pheonix and he says my stories aren't 'accurate' enough. That tundra seriously needs to grow an imagination..."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Kipling asked. Kipling so rarely looked this dejected.

"Could you help me out with a story this afternoon? You're basically the prince of Windkeep Tower. Dragons will come to see you even if they don't care much for my stories." Merry suggested.

"I don't know about that." Kipling shifted his weight uncomfortably.

"Of come on, you wouldn't have to do much, just act out the heroic scenes while I read them!" Merry said.

"Oh alright, why not? It can't be that bad." Kipling agreed.

"Yes! Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver!" Merry let out a breath. "I've already made the signs and everything."

"No probl- wait what?" Kipling asked. "Merry, you haven't been advertising me as a prince, have you? Because I'm not a prince, I'm just an ordinary Windkeep Tower resident."

"Are you saying I don't know a true hero when I see one? Kip, I am truly insulted!" Merry put a hand to his chest, feigning hurt again. "A good exaggeration is what makes for a good story. Most of the dragons who are coming will be gone by the end of the jamboree, might as well give them a good story to tell. And anyone else who comes knows that you aren't really a prince, so there's nothing to worry about."

"If you say so." Kipling rolled his eyes and shook his head, but he couldn't keep a grin off his face. "So, do I need to do anything to prepare?"

"Let's talk about it over lunch." Merry decided. "I'm famished."

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

"When Prince Ty entered the cave, he heard the scraping of claws against stone. They rattled harshly, sending shivers down his spine, but he was not afraid. He had trained for this, and he was not going to let anything get in-between him and his destiny. He would face any challenge thrown at him, battle any monster."

Merry's voice rang out over the ampithetre. The audience was silent and hanging onto his every word. Dragons of all flights, breeds and ages sat in the stands. Some were clearly families with hatchlings, but it appeared Merry's advertising had drawn in many bystanders, and the crowd only grew with time as the sound of his dulcet tones rode the breeze towards the main marketplace.

Kipling held a wooden sword in his hands and was dressed in a cardboard armor costume. Around him, Merry had used some magic to set a bit of a shadowy set for him to act in. This performance was lots more fun than he had expected. Kipling found he was getting more into the story the more it went, and he could hardly wait to see how Prince Ty would defeat the evil queen and avenge the death of his mother.

"'Who goes there!' Prince Ty called into the darkness, not allowing his voice to waver. He drew his sword, bracing himself for an ambush. But none came. He strained his eyes in the darkness, wishing he hadn't traded his light orb for his most recent meal. It had not done much to cushion his hunger."

"Suddenly, from the darkness, a voice rang out. 'Leave this place. Dark magic runs deep here.' The words were clearly draconic. The villagers had been wrong, a beast did not inhabit this cave. It was a dragon. Unless of course this dragon was a prisoner of the beast."

"'Do you need help? I am here to free you!' Ty called out."

"The other dragon simply laughed. 'You're not from around here, are you. Everyone in the village knows better than to enter the lair of a moon warrior.'"

"'Moon warrior?' In all of his travels and schooling he had never heard of such a thing."

"'The disgrace of the shadow flight. We have forsaken the darkness to join the light, but at a terrible price. If you were smart, you'd leave here.' The warrior responded, clearly amused by the fae's ignorance. It dawned on Ty that she must be very lonely, living her life in a cave."

"'I was told by the oracle if I discovered the secrets of the shadows, I would have a chance to save my kingdom.' Ty announced."

"'You're wasting your time. Moon warriors powers are only at their strongest when the moon shines the brightest. Unfortunately, that means our power is only the strongest where it is naturally darkest, and no shadow clan would defile themselves by seeking such aid.' The warrior explained."

"'What is the point in hiding away like this? Come with me, and I will find you a place where your powers are respected. You can run the military in my kingdom if you so desire. Help me, and anything you want is yours.' Ty was getting desperate. He was very aware of how the sands in his hourglass were running short. He could not stay much longer."

"'I want the name of moon warriors cleared in all of Sornieth, if you can promise me this than I will help you.' The warrior vowed."

"'I promise, it will be my first degree as king.' Ty responded. 'I swear it on the grave of my mother. All moon warriors will be welcome in my kingdom, and we will work to give them freedom in all eleven flights.'"

"The moon warrior considered this for a moment. 'Very well.' she said at last. 'I can tell you are of noble heart and spirit. You are worthy of your crown, and I will help you reclaim it. Now, if you can release me from the chains that bind me, we can fly far away from here.'"

"It was then that Ty realized the scraping he had heard was not from talons, but from barbed chains that held her. The villagers had imprisoned her here, there was no beast, they simply wanted Ty to do their dirty work for them. Anger burned within him. Once he became king, he would put a stop to such practices. With two deft movements, he swung the sword and released the warrior from her chains."

"'Let's get out of here before they realize what you have done.' The warrior urged, spreading her wings."

"'Tell me your name." Ty asked as he spread his wings and followed her out of the cave."

"'It has bee a long time since anyone called me by name, but I was once known as Eclipse.'" The moon warrior responded. As she uttered her name, they broke out of the cave and the cool night air rushed over their scales. A smile broke across the moon warrior's face, and she could not help but do a flip."

"Little did the two of them know, but they had not escaped unnoticed. A villager hid in the brambles, having been sent to ensure the deed was done. He would return to the village with news of her escape."

As Merry finished speaking, silence hung across the expanse. Kipling hovered, unsure of what to do.

"Is that it?" Kipling asked.

"Come back tomorrow for the rest of the story." Merry announced. "Our time has run short and we must pass over use of the amphitheater to a lovely troupe of dancers." He gestured to the large hourglass as he spoke. "Do not worry, our adventure is not yet over."

The audience clapped, and began filing out. A low but excited murmur filled the air as they went.

"I have a confession to make." Merry sighed.

"What is it?" Kipling asked.

"The rest of this story has been lost to time. I admit I do not know how this one ends. Shortly after the escape, a fire swept through the village, destroying all records. There were few survivors. Prince Ty and Eclipse never appeared at any other point in history. Many say it was just a legend, but rarely are legends so unfinished." Merry shook his head. "That went over so well, I shall have to invent the rest of their escapades. I'm afraid I got too carried away with expanding Ty's history. No one even knows if he was a prince, but royalty is so much more exciting than some ordinary passerby."

"Do you need help with that?" Kipling asked.

"Don't worry about it!" A smile returned to Merry's face. "It will be fun! This is what I do! If I wanted to tell history, I'd be at Sacredscream's boring stand! I'm not here to spread the truth, I'm here to give everyone a good time!"

Kipling couldn't help but grin at Merry's optimism. The joy did not last long, however. As the two faes were leaving, Kipling caught sight of a huling shape in the bamboo. With a gleam of bone, he was almost certain it was Sullene. Why did she have to be here, now? Couldn't he enjoy the jamboree in peace?

As he looked closer, he caught her gaze. His heart sank. She was going to come to talk to him.

To his surprise, she moved no closer, she just winked and shambled away.

Kipling stared at the empty bamboo. Was that a hint? How long was she standing there? Has she heard Merry's story?

Did the story contain the answers he needed? Was a moon warrior the answer?

"Kip? You alright?" Merry's voice broke through his thoughts.

"I think I just had an idea." Kipling said quietly.

"What?"

"I need to find Luster and Rori. Now." And with that, Kipling took the skies, leaving Merry to pack up alone.

Yes, I did time is to chapter #100 was my Mistral Jamboree update! I'm so excited to be getting this story rolling!

I hope you all are enjoying the jamboree! I am loving everything about it! It's probably been one of my favourite festivals in a while!
1 2 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 78 79