Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 78 79
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/48#post_37367370]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 87: All You Had To Do Was Stay[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33201295] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201295_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Banella had left the tavern so quickly she had almost bowled over Magiere. She didn’t even stop to apologize, she had to get back to The Oasis as quickly as she could. Banella had paid little mind to the different tents set up on her first visit, but she had to pay attention now. Necromancy would not exactly be a service that would be advertised in a clan like this. “Hello, are you Banella?” A voice sounded behind her. She spun around to see a wildclaw smirking at her. His icy eyes glinted eerily in the light of the Night of the Nocturne lanterns that lit the clan. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44550810] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/445509/44550810_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] “How do you know my name?” Banella asked, intrigued. “Kalo told me you’d be coming. I’m Kai.” And with that, the wildclaw disappeared into a nearby tent. Banella followed. As Banella stepped into the tent, she immediately felt at home in the shadowy atmosphere. The air of mystery felt cozy and for the first time since entering the Sunbeam Ruins, she felt as though she could breathe. She took her time striding in, soaking in the glory of everything. Her eyes met Kai’s, his glinting and giving away nothing. “What can I do for you?” Kai asked, guiding Banella to take a seat. “I would like to speak to my sister, Basil.” Banella said, cracking a rare grin. She liked Kai a lot. “That can be easily done.” Kai reassured her. “Though it will come at a price.” “I have money.” Banella confirmed. “I’m not asking for treasure or gems.” Kai responded. “They are of little use to me. No, I need something of more substance.” “Whatever you want, it is yours.” Banella offered. “Name a price and I’ll pay it.” A grin spread across Kai’s face, and had Banella been a lesser dragon, she would have shivered. “How about your greatest passion?” Kai suggested. “Done.” Banella was almost surprised by how quickly she agreed. Whatever her greatest passion was, it would soon be gone anyways. Leo was ancient history, and Basil too would soon be in the past. With a nod from Kai, there was a flash. “That’ll do just nicely.” Kai said with a grin. “Now, onto your sister.” Banella quivered with anticipation. This was what she came for. It was finally happening. Soon she could confront her sister like she always wanted, now she could get her revenge. “For the ritual to work, I’ll need something of her. A memory, a feeling perhaps.” Kai explained. “So I have something to latch onto when calling her from the realm of the dead. The stronger the piece, the better the connection.” “But I already gave you something!” Banella protested. “That was for me. This will be for your sister.” “Fine.” Banella rolled her eyes. “I’ll give my childhood memories.” Kai snapped his fingers, and suddenly shadows filled the tent, streaming and writhing like snake-like arms tipped with hands grasping at the air, trying to grab hold of something, anything. Soon, they began to grow tighter together, the shapes becoming obvious. There was the glint of teeth and talons, the flutter of wings, and the whispers of dragons. One voice rose from the rest. “What’s going on?” The voice called, crackling and shifting in volume, sometimes growing too soft to be heard among the noise of the ritual. “Where am I?” “Basil!” Banella exclaimed with a growl. She’d know her sister’s voice anywhere. It was time for a showdown. “Banella!” Her sister’s voice called. “Is that-“ Then her voice cut out. “Where is she? Why can’t I see her?” Banella snapped at Kai. “It appears your childhood memories of her aren’t strong enough to hold her here.” Kai explained. “If you want to talk to her, I’ll need something else.” “I have nothing else to give!” Banella spat viciously. “She took everything from me, why should I give her more?! She doesn’t deserve this, this is mine!” “Your resentment.” Kai suggested. “It burns strong within you. That would guarantee a strong connection, enough to last as long as you need.” “NEVER!” Banella roared over the rush of voices growing louder. “That throne was MINE! It was mine and she took it from me!!!” “Look, do you want to talk to your sister or not?” Kai was getting obviously irritated. “Because I literally cannot do anything else unless you give up something else.” “Fine!” Banella shouted, and suddenly, there was calm. The cacophony of voices had silenced, the air was still, and in front of Banella was a beautiful wildclaw, her deep violet eyes wide with surprise and excitement. The scent of flowers hung in the air. Banella reached in her chest for an emotion, and found a strange sense of peace. Her years of hatred were gone, as if they had never existed. In its place was a warm feeling Banella had not felt since she was a hatchling. It was tainted by only the slightest hint of jealousy. [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/33201294][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201294_350.png[/img][/url][/center] “Banella!” Basil exclaimed, racing forward to embrace her sister. The floral scent of her sister enveloped her. Banella stood there, stunned, unsure of what to do. She wasn’t sure she knew what she was anymore. She awkwardly hugged her sister back. “I don’t deserve this.” Banella admitted. It was not what she planned to say, but there it was, hovering in the air between the two sisters. “I’m just happy you are here!” Basil said with a smile as she hopped back. “Oh Banella, I’ve missed you so much! After you left, I had no idea what I was going to do without you!” “You seemed to do fine on your own.” Banella pointed out. “You’ve got quite the legacy here. You should be proud.” “But it wasn’t the same without you, my trusted advisor!” Basil said. “I never did have a head for all those politics and strategy. That was always you. You have no idea how much trouble our clan could have avoided if we had you to steer us away!” “But you managed.” Banella reminded her. “I did, but I missed you every day.” There was a deep hurt in her sister’s purple eyes. Banella felt something move within her chest. She couldn’t have meant so much to her sister, could she? “I missed you too.” Banella’s mouth moved before she could stop it, and in surprise, she realized that it was true. There had been a piece of her missing ever since she left the Clan of Resting Wings, a hurt that had never been repaired. Leo’s caresses and sweet words could do nothing to fill it. Now she knew what it was that she had been missing. “You should have come home sooner.” Basil said with a sad smile. “I always hoped you would come home.” Her words were so quiet now that Banella almost couldn’t hear them. “I’m here now.” Banella promised. “Can you stay? Can you look after my family?” Basil asked, eyes filled with desperation. “No.” Banella said, and as she said it, she realized that this would never be a place she could come back to. She had lost her chance. Everyone she knew was dead and gone, and life had gone on without her. If she were to find her place, it would have to be elsewhere. “I’m sorry, but I have lived too long trying to live someone else’s life. It’s time I found my own.” Basil smiled, her eyes brimming with emotion. “No one ever could tell you what to do, could they?” “Not a chance.” “Well, whatever you do, I’m sure it will be amazing!” Basil said, almost jumping for joy at the thought. Banella let out a laugh. She had missed out on so much. She had missed this, the time spent with her sister. She wished she could stay here forever, but alas… “Your times almost up.” Kai’s voice broke the silence, and as he spoke, Basil began to fade. “No!” Banella exclaimed, rushing forward to give her sister one last hug. But it was too late. Her form had disappeared. “I love you!” Basil’s voice called across the tent, the last remnant of her sister. “I love you too!” Banella shouted, hoping her sister could hear her. Then she was left alone in silence. All that remained was the faint scent of flowers. Banella stood there, trying to take in what had just happened. Another emotion was settling in, deeper and heavier than the joy of seeing her sister again. This one had a bite to it, and it covered her entire being like a blanket. What was the name of this one? Oh, right. Grief. Grief for lost opportunities, and for a life she could never live again. Her happiness faded like dew in the summer. Banella once again felt an emptiness settle over her, and it left a taste in her mouth as bitter as poison. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/49#post_37430848]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- And here is part 2 of Banella's adventure in Novus Lux! This has possibly been one of my favourite chapters to write! I've been waiting to do this scene for a long long time. I forgot to mention, Kai is Kalo's brother, which is how Kalo had been able to connect Banella so easily.

Chapter 87: All You Had To Do Was Stay

33201295_350.png

Banella had left the tavern so quickly she had almost bowled over Magiere. She didn’t even stop to apologize, she had to get back to The Oasis as quickly as she could.

Banella had paid little mind to the different tents set up on her first visit, but she had to pay attention now. Necromancy would not exactly be a service that would be advertised in a clan like this.

“Hello, are you Banella?” A voice sounded behind her. She spun around to see a wildclaw smirking at her. His icy eyes glinted eerily in the light of the Night of the Nocturne lanterns that lit the clan.

“How do you know my name?” Banella asked, intrigued.

“Kalo told me you’d be coming. I’m Kai.” And with that, the wildclaw disappeared into a nearby tent. Banella followed.

As Banella stepped into the tent, she immediately felt at home in the shadowy atmosphere. The air of mystery felt cozy and for the first time since entering the Sunbeam Ruins, she felt as though she could breathe. She took her time striding in, soaking in the glory of everything. Her eyes met Kai’s, his glinting and giving away nothing.

“What can I do for you?” Kai asked, guiding Banella to take a seat.

“I would like to speak to my sister, Basil.” Banella said, cracking a rare grin. She liked Kai a lot.

“That can be easily done.” Kai reassured her. “Though it will come at a price.”

“I have money.” Banella confirmed.

“I’m not asking for treasure or gems.” Kai responded. “They are of little use to me. No, I need something of more substance.”

“Whatever you want, it is yours.” Banella offered. “Name a price and I’ll pay it.”

A grin spread across Kai’s face, and had Banella been a lesser dragon, she would have shivered.

“How about your greatest passion?” Kai suggested.

“Done.” Banella was almost surprised by how quickly she agreed. Whatever her greatest passion was, it would soon be gone anyways. Leo was ancient history, and Basil too would soon be in the past. With a nod from Kai, there was a flash.

“That’ll do just nicely.” Kai said with a grin. “Now, onto your sister.”

Banella quivered with anticipation. This was what she came for. It was finally happening. Soon she could confront her sister like she always wanted, now she could get her revenge.

“For the ritual to work, I’ll need something of her. A memory, a feeling perhaps.” Kai explained. “So I have something to latch onto when calling her from the realm of the dead. The stronger the piece, the better the connection.”

“But I already gave you something!” Banella protested.

“That was for me. This will be for your sister.”

“Fine.” Banella rolled her eyes. “I’ll give my childhood memories.”

Kai snapped his fingers, and suddenly shadows filled the tent, streaming and writhing like snake-like arms tipped with hands grasping at the air, trying to grab hold of something, anything. Soon, they began to grow tighter together, the shapes becoming obvious. There was the glint of teeth and talons, the flutter of wings, and the whispers of dragons. One voice rose from the rest.

“What’s going on?” The voice called, crackling and shifting in volume, sometimes growing too soft to be heard among the noise of the ritual. “Where am I?”

“Basil!” Banella exclaimed with a growl. She’d know her sister’s voice anywhere. It was time for a showdown.

“Banella!” Her sister’s voice called. “Is that-“ Then her voice cut out.

“Where is she? Why can’t I see her?” Banella snapped at Kai.

“It appears your childhood memories of her aren’t strong enough to hold her here.” Kai explained. “If you want to talk to her, I’ll need something else.”

“I have nothing else to give!” Banella spat viciously. “She took everything from me, why should I give her more?! She doesn’t deserve this, this is mine!”

“Your resentment.” Kai suggested. “It burns strong within you. That would guarantee a strong connection, enough to last as long as you need.”

“NEVER!” Banella roared over the rush of voices growing louder. “That throne was MINE! It was mine and she took it from me!!!”

“Look, do you want to talk to your sister or not?” Kai was getting obviously irritated. “Because I literally cannot do anything else unless you give up something else.”

“Fine!” Banella shouted, and suddenly, there was calm.

The cacophony of voices had silenced, the air was still, and in front of Banella was a beautiful wildclaw, her deep violet eyes wide with surprise and excitement. The scent of flowers hung in the air. Banella reached in her chest for an emotion, and found a strange sense of peace. Her years of hatred were gone, as if they had never existed. In its place was a warm feeling Banella had not felt since she was a hatchling. It was tainted by only the slightest hint of jealousy.
33201294_350.png

“Banella!” Basil exclaimed, racing forward to embrace her sister. The floral scent of her sister enveloped her. Banella stood there, stunned, unsure of what to do. She wasn’t sure she knew what she was anymore. She awkwardly hugged her sister back.

“I don’t deserve this.” Banella admitted. It was not what she planned to say, but there it was, hovering in the air between the two sisters.

“I’m just happy you are here!” Basil said with a smile as she hopped back. “Oh Banella, I’ve missed you so much! After you left, I had no idea what I was going to do without you!”

“You seemed to do fine on your own.” Banella pointed out. “You’ve got quite the legacy here. You should be proud.”

“But it wasn’t the same without you, my trusted advisor!” Basil said. “I never did have a head for all those politics and strategy. That was always you. You have no idea how much trouble our clan could have avoided if we had you to steer us away!”

“But you managed.” Banella reminded her.

“I did, but I missed you every day.” There was a deep hurt in her sister’s purple eyes. Banella felt something move within her chest. She couldn’t have meant so much to her sister, could she?

“I missed you too.” Banella’s mouth moved before she could stop it, and in surprise, she realized that it was true. There had been a piece of her missing ever since she left the Clan of Resting Wings, a hurt that had never been repaired. Leo’s caresses and sweet words could do nothing to fill it. Now she knew what it was that she had been missing.

“You should have come home sooner.” Basil said with a sad smile. “I always hoped you would come home.” Her words were so quiet now that Banella almost couldn’t hear them.

“I’m here now.” Banella promised.

“Can you stay? Can you look after my family?” Basil asked, eyes filled with desperation.

“No.” Banella said, and as she said it, she realized that this would never be a place she could come back to. She had lost her chance. Everyone she knew was dead and gone, and life had gone on without her. If she were to find her place, it would have to be elsewhere. “I’m sorry, but I have lived too long trying to live someone else’s life. It’s time I found my own.”

Basil smiled, her eyes brimming with emotion. “No one ever could tell you what to do, could they?”

“Not a chance.”

“Well, whatever you do, I’m sure it will be amazing!” Basil said, almost jumping for joy at the thought. Banella let out a laugh. She had missed out on so much. She had missed this, the time spent with her sister. She wished she could stay here forever, but alas…

“Your times almost up.” Kai’s voice broke the silence, and as he spoke, Basil began to fade.

“No!” Banella exclaimed, rushing forward to give her sister one last hug. But it was too late. Her form had disappeared.

“I love you!” Basil’s voice called across the tent, the last remnant of her sister.

“I love you too!” Banella shouted, hoping her sister could hear her. Then she was left alone in silence. All that remained was the faint scent of flowers.

Banella stood there, trying to take in what had just happened. Another emotion was settling in, deeper and heavier than the joy of seeing her sister again. This one had a bite to it, and it covered her entire being like a blanket. What was the name of this one? Oh, right. Grief. Grief for lost opportunities, and for a life she could never live again. Her happiness faded like dew in the summer. Banella once again felt an emptiness settle over her, and it left a taste in her mouth as bitter as poison.

And here is part 2 of Banella's adventure in Novus Lux! This has possibly been one of my favourite chapters to write! I've been waiting to do this scene for a long long time.

I forgot to mention, Kai is Kalo's brother, which is how Kalo had been able to connect Banella so easily.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall Ooooohh, that was every bit as intense as I thought it would be! I like how Kai uses the person's emotions instead of, say, objects or magical instruments. And it's also very interesting how quickly Banella's resentment fizzled out when she actually saw Basil. Something tells me she's about to hit a crossroads head-first. XD

"Your greatest passion" -- also this. Oh boy, oh boy, this is juicy.
@Petall Ooooohh, that was every bit as intense as I thought it would be! I like how Kai uses the person's emotions instead of, say, objects or magical instruments. And it's also very interesting how quickly Banella's resentment fizzled out when she actually saw Basil. Something tells me she's about to hit a crossroads head-first. XD

"Your greatest passion" -- also this. Oh boy, oh boy, this is juicy.
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist

I have to give @CleverDual credit for the emotion idea, I had a long chat with her when planning this part of the story to make sure I knew exactly how her clan and characters work! Also, had Banella not given her resentment in order to see her sister, I'm sure this conversation would have gone very differently (That's something that would actually be interesting to explore, I sense an au coming up for me to delve into). This exchange certainly changes things for Banella, with everything she's given up to make it happen.

:D Do you have any guesses as to what it might be? I won't confirm or deny because it's going to come into play later and I don't want to spoil anything, but I'm curious.
@Disillusionist

I have to give @CleverDual credit for the emotion idea, I had a long chat with her when planning this part of the story to make sure I knew exactly how her clan and characters work! Also, had Banella not given her resentment in order to see her sister, I'm sure this conversation would have gone very differently (That's something that would actually be interesting to explore, I sense an au coming up for me to delve into). This exchange certainly changes things for Banella, with everything she's given up to make it happen.

:D Do you have any guesses as to what it might be? I won't confirm or deny because it's going to come into play later and I don't want to spoil anything, but I'm curious.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall Yeah, it was a lot of fun to see that Kai's "Give me your resentment" wasn't just a figure of speech! XD Mad props to both you and @CleverDual; that was pretty fun. The AU sounds like it would be interesting, too!

As to the guess: She now has a bad case of writer's block and can't write anything, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
@Petall Yeah, it was a lot of fun to see that Kai's "Give me your resentment" wasn't just a figure of speech! XD Mad props to both you and @CleverDual; that was pretty fun. The AU sounds like it would be interesting, too!

As to the guess: She now has a bad case of writer's block and can't write anything, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
That was really intense! I loved it, and I loved how you showed the loss of her anger as something negative. I feel like a lot of people don’t consider that aspect of it when writing things like this.
That was really intense! I loved it, and I loved how you showed the loss of her anger as something negative. I feel like a lot of people don’t consider that aspect of it when writing things like this.
SEwVSoU.png ______phee | she/they | +2 fr time | art shop | hatchery | clan directory______ 1cnGog5.png
@rainphee

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!!
@rainphee

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/49#post_37380797]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 88: Begin Again[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45953399] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/459534/45953399_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] When Tosha woke up, neither Banella nor Magiere were still in the guest lodge. Tosha had never felt freer. For the first time since she had arrived in Windkeep Tower, she had the day entirely to herself. She hardly knew where to start. After eating breakfast, she set out, eager to explore this new clan. Everything was lit up for Night of the Nocturne, and celebratory decorations were festooned around the entire clan. Like Windkeep Tower, there seemed to be an abundance of visitors for the celebration. Dragons of all shapes, sizes and flights milled about the marketplace, reveling in the joy of Night of the Nocturne. The more Tosha looked around, the more she realized she had never spent much time in any clan other than her birth clan and Windkeep Tower. There were so many other places to explore, and she had never actually taken the time to see how other dragons lived. She had never pegged herself as much of a traveler, but she had to admit there was something special about seeing how other clans did things. She wondered how her birth clan celebrated Night of the Nocturne. They couldn’t be too far away, maybe she would drop by for a visit. Just as the thought popped into her head. She caught sight of a sign advertising the clan’s spa. After such a long journey, she could do with some relaxation. Hoping the wait would not be too long in the hype of the current celebrations, she slipped inside. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] The wait hadn’t been long at all, and Tosha had a rather relaxing morning. She had started off with a massage, and now she was getting her feathers done by a friendly stylist by the name of Aida. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44851983] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/448520/44851983_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] “So, tell me a little more about yourself!” The fae chirped as she ran her fingers through Tosha’s crest feathers. Just like that, it was as if Aida had taken the cork off of a bottle and Tosha found herself explaining her whole life story. By the time she had finished, Tosha felt as though a weight had been taken off of her chest. It felt good to let it out, and Aida had listened with such a genuine care, something she hadn’t felt in a long time. Not since Thornspine anyways. “Well, if it’s theatre you are into, you have to come and see our special Night of the Nocturne performance tonight.” Aida suggested enthusiastically. “Tell you what, I’m going with some friends, you’d be more than welcome to join us.” “I’d love that!” Tosha said with a smile. “Great!” Aida grinned. “Now, I’m almost finished here. I have to stay here at the salon and continue working, but if you want company for the rest of the day I could point you in the direction of some wonderful people!” “Thank you so much!” Tosha said, her heart swelling with joy. She left with a deep feeling of contentedness, fully aware that she had never felt quite this happy before. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47015548] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/470156/47015548_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=43289730] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/432898/43289730_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Aida had directed Tosha in the direction of Lyrica, a high energy mirror who was in charge of event planning in Novus Lux. Tosha had been fully expecting that as it was the height of Night of the Nocturne, Lyrica would not have much time to spend with her but she was sorely mistaken. The mirror invited her along as she checked up on everything and gave Tosha a tour of the clan in the meantime. When Lyrica was finally called away for work, she left Tosha at the tea shop with Awyn, the herbologist who ran the clan’s tea shop. There, Tosha enjoyed spending time in the calm, comforting presence of the mirror, falling into an easy conversation about books and life. Night came far faster than Tosha had expected and it was time for the performance. As Awyn closed up shop they were joined by Lyrica and Aida, and they all made their way to theatre together. Tosha was almost quivering with excitement. She had seen many a rehearsal and performance at Banella’s theatre, but now it was time to broaden her theatrical horizons. As the show began to start, Tosha felt a sense of awe and wonder rise within her and she realized that with Banella, she had lost her spark. All the toil and work to prove herself had taken the magic out of everything. Her enjoyment of the shows had been tainted by the deep frustration of not being able to be there up on the stage. Here, she still felt that longing, but it was different. It was renewed. Tosha got lost in the story of the show, and soon she forgot that she was even watching a show at all. The characters and story took up her world, and as the performers took their final bows, Tosha stood up and joined in the thunderous applause. “So, what did you think?” Awyn asked. “That was amazing!” Tosha exclaimed. “I have no words-“ “Would you like to meet them?” Lyrica asked. “Meet- the actors?!” Tosha’s eyes widened. “I would love that!” “Come on then!” Lyrica exclaimed, leading Tosha away from her seat and towards the back. It took some time before the actors emerged, but before long, a pair of starry imperials came out. Tosha felt her eyes widen as her excitement threatened to overflow. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=46359894] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/463599/46359894_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47053953] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/470540/47053953_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] “Tosha, this is Kaleb and Triannya, our own local celebrities. They are well-known throughout Sornieth for their skill.” Aida explained. “Wait- you’re [i]the[/i] Kaleb and Triannya?!” Tosha exclaimed. She hardly knew how to conduct herself. “This is Tosha, she’s training to be an actress.” Lyrica explained to the pair of performers. “How exciting!” Triannya said with a large grin. “I love meeting others who share an interest in our craft!” “Have you had a chance to perform yet?” Kaleb asked. “Not exactly.” Tosha said, shifting her feet. “But I’m trying to learn everything I can so I can do my best when I do get the opportunity. Do you have any advice?” “Really, when it comes down to it, being enjoying your work is far more important than succeeding and becoming a star.” Kaleb said. “Just be yourself, all the rest will fall into place.” Triannya added. “Thank you.” Tosha breathed, hardly knowing how to respond. “How would you like to join us here?” Kaleb offered. “You could live here in Novus Lux and we could give you some training.” “Oh my goodness I would love that!” Tosha exclaimed, heart pounding at the prospect. She loved this clan and its people, and the more she thought about it, the more the idea of living her life here appealed to her. She could see her new friends every day and train under two very talented performers. It seemed perfect, and far more fulfilling than living the rest of her life with Thornspine, skulking in the shadows of a low-class theatre and trying to gain the fickle Banella’s approval. Thornspine. The reminder of her friend crashed her back to reality like a brick. Thornspine had been so good to her, sharing everything he could to help her succeed. He had been her first real friend, and she couldn’t run off and abandon him, at least not without saying goodbye. “I have some business I need to attend to at home first. There’s someone back home-” Tosha admitted. “But once that’s done, I’d love to.” Maybe she could get Thornspine to join her. He couldn’t want to stay living the same old life forever, could he? “We understand.” Triannya said, a knowing light in her eyes. “We’ll be right here when you get back.” Tosha was bewildered. What was Triannya suggesting? What did she think was going on between her and Thornspine? The question was quickly put out of mind, however, when Awyn spoke up. “Hey Tosha, how would you like to join us for one last cup of tea before bed?” “That sounds fantastic!” Tosha agreed, grateful to have made such good friends here. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33201295] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201295_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] It was well past midnight by the time Tosha returned to the guest lodge, and Banella was waiting for her. “Where have you been? I’ve been looking all over for you!” Banella snapped. “I was-“ Tosha began, before realizing she didn’t need to defend herself to Banella anymore, not when she was no longer trying to impress her. “I’ve been here long enough. It’s time to go.” Banella responded. “But we’ve only been here one day!” Tosha said, taken aback. “I’ve got what I need.” Banella insisted. “I don’t want to stay in this dumb place a moment longer. You are welcome to stay if you want, but I am leaving now.” Tosha sighed. If she was going to go back to Windkeep Tower, now was as good a time as any. The sooner she went back to sort things out, the sooner she could return to Novus Lux. And so with no further comment, she packed her bags and prepared to leave. She just wished she had the time to say a proper goodbye to her new friends. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/50#post_37451030]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- So, this marks the end of the Novus Lux visit! (Which means I wrapped up my NOTN lore stuff the day before the crystalline gala... oops....) I hope you enjoyed seeing the lovely CleverDual's clan. I'm sure we'll see more of it as time goes on, CleverDual and I have lots of intertwined lore!

Chapter 88: Begin Again

45953399_350.png

When Tosha woke up, neither Banella nor Magiere were still in the guest lodge. Tosha had never felt freer. For the first time since she had arrived in Windkeep Tower, she had the day entirely to herself. She hardly knew where to start.

After eating breakfast, she set out, eager to explore this new clan. Everything was lit up for Night of the Nocturne, and celebratory decorations were festooned around the entire clan. Like Windkeep Tower, there seemed to be an abundance of visitors for the celebration. Dragons of all shapes, sizes and flights milled about the marketplace, reveling in the joy of Night of the Nocturne.

The more Tosha looked around, the more she realized she had never spent much time in any clan other than her birth clan and Windkeep Tower. There were so many other places to explore, and she had never actually taken the time to see how other dragons lived. She had never pegged herself as much of a traveler, but she had to admit there was something special about seeing how other clans did things. She wondered how her birth clan celebrated Night of the Nocturne. They couldn’t be too far away, maybe she would drop by for a visit.

Just as the thought popped into her head. She caught sight of a sign advertising the clan’s spa. After such a long journey, she could do with some relaxation.

Hoping the wait would not be too long in the hype of the current celebrations, she slipped inside.

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

The wait hadn’t been long at all, and Tosha had a rather relaxing morning. She had started off with a massage, and now she was getting her feathers done by a friendly stylist by the name of Aida.

“So, tell me a little more about yourself!” The fae chirped as she ran her fingers through Tosha’s crest feathers. Just like that, it was as if Aida had taken the cork off of a bottle and Tosha found herself explaining her whole life story.

By the time she had finished, Tosha felt as though a weight had been taken off of her chest. It felt good to let it out, and Aida had listened with such a genuine care, something she hadn’t felt in a long time. Not since Thornspine anyways.

“Well, if it’s theatre you are into, you have to come and see our special Night of the Nocturne performance tonight.” Aida suggested enthusiastically. “Tell you what, I’m going with some friends, you’d be more than welcome to join us.”

“I’d love that!” Tosha said with a smile.

“Great!” Aida grinned. “Now, I’m almost finished here. I have to stay here at the salon and continue working, but if you want company for the rest of the day I could point you in the direction of some wonderful people!”

“Thank you so much!” Tosha said, her heart swelling with joy. She left with a deep feeling of contentedness, fully aware that she had never felt quite this happy before.

Aida had directed Tosha in the direction of ******, a high energy mirror who was in charge of event planning in Novus Lux. Tosha had been fully expecting that as it was the height of Night of the Nocturne, ****** would not have much time to spend with her but she was sorely mistaken. The mirror invited her along as she checked up on everything and gave Tosha a tour of the clan in the meantime.

When ****** was finally called away for work, she left Tosha at the tea shop with Awyn, the herbologist who ran the clan’s tea shop. There, Tosha enjoyed spending time in the calm, comforting presence of the mirror, falling into an easy conversation about books and life.

Night came far faster than Tosha had expected and it was time for the performance. As Awyn closed up shop they were joined by ****** and Aida, and they all made their way to theatre together. Tosha was almost quivering with excitement. She had seen many a rehearsal and performance at Banella’s theatre, but now it was time to broaden her theatrical horizons.

As the show began to start, Tosha felt a sense of awe and wonder rise within her and she realized that with Banella, she had lost her spark. All the toil and work to prove herself had taken the magic out of everything. Her enjoyment of the shows had been tainted by the deep frustration of not being able to be there up on the stage. Here, she still felt that longing, but it was different. It was renewed.

Tosha got lost in the story of the show, and soon she forgot that she was even watching a show at all. The characters and story took up her world, and as the performers took their final bows, Tosha stood up and joined in the thunderous applause.

“So, what did you think?” Awyn asked.

“That was amazing!” Tosha exclaimed. “I have no words-“

“Would you like to meet them?” ****** asked.

“Meet- the actors?!” Tosha’s eyes widened. “I would love that!”

“Come on then!” ****** exclaimed, leading Tosha away from her seat and towards the back.

It took some time before the actors emerged, but before long, a pair of starry imperials came out. Tosha felt her eyes widen as her excitement threatened to overflow.

“Tosha, this is Kaleb and Triannya, our own local celebrities. They are well-known throughout Sornieth for their skill.” Aida explained.

“Wait- you’re the Kaleb and Triannya?!” Tosha exclaimed. She hardly knew how to conduct herself.

“This is Tosha, she’s training to be an actress.” ****** explained to the pair of performers.

“How exciting!” Triannya said with a large grin. “I love meeting others who share an interest in our craft!”

“Have you had a chance to perform yet?” Kaleb asked.

“Not exactly.” Tosha said, shifting her feet. “But I’m trying to learn everything I can so I can do my best when I do get the opportunity. Do you have any advice?”

“Really, when it comes down to it, being enjoying your work is far more important than succeeding and becoming a star.” Kaleb said.

“Just be yourself, all the rest will fall into place.” Triannya added.

“Thank you.” Tosha breathed, hardly knowing how to respond.

“How would you like to join us here?” Kaleb offered. “You could live here in Novus Lux and we could give you some training.”

“Oh my goodness I would love that!” Tosha exclaimed, heart pounding at the prospect. She loved this clan and its people, and the more she thought about it, the more the idea of living her life here appealed to her. She could see her new friends every day and train under two very talented performers. It seemed perfect, and far more fulfilling than living the rest of her life with Thornspine, skulking in the shadows of a low-class theatre and trying to gain the fickle Banella’s approval.

Thornspine. The reminder of her friend crashed her back to reality like a brick. Thornspine had been so good to her, sharing everything he could to help her succeed. He had been her first real friend, and she couldn’t run off and abandon him, at least not without saying goodbye.

“I have some business I need to attend to at home first. There’s someone back home-” Tosha admitted. “But once that’s done, I’d love to.” Maybe she could get Thornspine to join her. He couldn’t want to stay living the same old life forever, could he?

“We understand.” Triannya said, a knowing light in her eyes. “We’ll be right here when you get back.”

Tosha was bewildered. What was Triannya suggesting? What did she think was going on between her and Thornspine? The question was quickly put out of mind, however, when Awyn spoke up.

“Hey Tosha, how would you like to join us for one last cup of tea before bed?”
“That sounds fantastic!” Tosha agreed, grateful to have made such good friends here.

It was well past midnight by the time Tosha returned to the guest lodge, and Banella was waiting for her.

“Where have you been? I’ve been looking all over for you!” Banella snapped.

“I was-“ Tosha began, before realizing she didn’t need to defend herself to Banella anymore, not when she was no longer trying to impress her.

“I’ve been here long enough. It’s time to go.” Banella responded.

“But we’ve only been here one day!” Tosha said, taken aback.

“I’ve got what I need.” Banella insisted. “I don’t want to stay in this dumb place a moment longer. You are welcome to stay if you want, but I am leaving now.”

Tosha sighed. If she was going to go back to Windkeep Tower, now was as good a time as any. The sooner she went back to sort things out, the sooner she could return to Novus Lux. And so with no further comment, she packed her bags and prepared to leave.

She just wished she had the time to say a proper goodbye to her new friends.

So, this marks the end of the Novus Lux visit! (Which means I wrapped up my NOTN lore stuff the day before the crystalline gala... oops....) I hope you enjoyed seeing the lovely CleverDual's clan. I'm sure we'll see more of it as time goes on, CleverDual and I have lots of intertwined lore!
@Petall Oh boy, I can relate to Tosha so hard. Spas and massages are so relaxing! --Except the talking part. I don't do much talking when I'm at the spa. XD

That said, you also did an excellent job portraying that Tosha was burning out: the realization that she'd never been happy before, the understanding that Banella was just beating her down, and finally realizing she no longer had to impress Banella. I think Banella is in for a fairly stormy future with her troupe. o_O
@Petall Oh boy, I can relate to Tosha so hard. Spas and massages are so relaxing! --Except the talking part. I don't do much talking when I'm at the spa. XD

That said, you also did an excellent job portraying that Tosha was burning out: the realization that she'd never been happy before, the understanding that Banella was just beating her down, and finally realizing she no longer had to impress Banella. I think Banella is in for a fairly stormy future with her troupe. o_O
@Disillusionist

I've never been to a spa before but I imagine it would be very relaxing!

Thank you! It's been interesting seeing where Tosha's character arc is going this arc. But the arc is not quite over, and I have some plans up my sleeve...
@Disillusionist

I've never been to a spa before but I imagine it would be very relaxing!

Thank you! It's been interesting seeing where Tosha's character arc is going this arc. But the arc is not quite over, and I have some plans up my sleeve...
Great ending to the whole thing! I hope Tosha gets to chase her dream soon...
Great ending to the whole thing! I hope Tosha gets to chase her dream soon...
SEwVSoU.png ______phee | she/they | +2 fr time | art shop | hatchery | clan directory______ 1cnGog5.png
1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 78 79