Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 78 79
@Disillusionist

Aw thank you!!! <3

I wasn't planning on getting too attached to Amaryllis and Cloud, I was originally planning on keeping them only as long as they needed to travel, but once I came up with their lore I fell in love with them and now they are permanent additions to my clan!
@Disillusionist

Aw thank you!!! <3

I wasn't planning on getting too attached to Amaryllis and Cloud, I was originally planning on keeping them only as long as they needed to travel, but once I came up with their lore I fell in love with them and now they are permanent additions to my clan!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall Oh boy, I know the feeling. I've kept dragons who should've been temporary, like fodder and breeding project pairs, only to develop lore for them and make them permanent additions to my clan. It's great how Amaryllis and Cloud found a home with you!
@Petall Oh boy, I know the feeling. I've kept dragons who should've been temporary, like fodder and breeding project pairs, only to develop lore for them and make them permanent additions to my clan. It's great how Amaryllis and Cloud found a home with you!
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/45#post_36727974]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][u][b]Chapter 81: Relax[/b][/u] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40726683] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/407267/40726683_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] The moon rose high above Windkeep Tower. The chatter and hubbub of the clan was quieting as dragons settled down for the night. Only a faint lilting song could be heard from Redrick and Maye's suite. The piano and singing combined beautifully, a lullaby to lull the dragons of Windkeep Tower to sleep. There was one dragon who was not yet asleep, however. In the tavern, India was doing the last of the cleaning. The last of the customers had gone to bed, and India had told her niece to go to bed and leave the closing to her. Just as she was wiping down the last glass, there was the sound of a bell, and Lin came in the door. A faint smile stretched across India's face as she saw her boyfriend enter. She filled a kettle with hot water, he clearly needed tea. His wings hung at his side, almost dragging on the ground, and he looked exhausted. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=35290001] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/352901/35290001_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Did you find her?" India asked as he took his seat on the other side of the counter. "Nope. I think she's gone." Lin sighed. "All that training, for nothing." "Don't beat yourself up over it." India soothed, leaning on the counter across from the skydancer. "You know full well we can't choose the paths others take, we can only guide them. It is their choice whether or not they wish to follow." "She was doing so well." Lin sighed. "She was making so much progress in her training, and now she wants to throw that all away to be someone's sidekick again?" "You gave her your wisdom. That little seed is embedded in her head. Regardless of whether or not she listened, you made an impact." India told him. "That mark will not easily wash away, after all your years of training." "You're right. It's just hard to let go." Lin sighed. "I've never had an apprentice before." "It's always hard to let go." India told him. "I suppose you know a thing or two about that." Lin said with a smile. "Oh yes. I still don't think Juliette is making the right choice with Thorburn-" "I wasn't talking about Thorburn." Lin said, looking deep into India's eyes. India looked away. To her surprise, tears were forming in her eyes. "I feel like I should have done more for Runeclaw." India admitted. "I was so caught up with everything, I just left him to do his thing. And now he's gone-" "I know." Lin spoke softly. "You did everything you could. He was a wild one, he was always going to make his own choices." "I just wish I had more time with him." India sniffed. "That's always the way with death." Lin smiled sadly. "There are always regrets, always more should-haves." "The tea is ready." India suddenly remembered, and went to go pour a couple of mugs of chai tea. "Hey, get out from behind that counter." Lin ordered softly. "You need something special tonight. Can we get those teas to go?" India nodded, wiping the tears from her eyes. She poured the tea into a couple of thermoses and stepped out of The Copper Lotus, taking care to lock the door. Lin took to the skies, India following close behind. The stars shone down from the heavens, a little more sparse than usual. "Where are we going?" India asked breathlessly. They were flying away from Windkeep Tower. "You'll see." Lin said. "We're almost there." They flew for a few minutes more before Lin began to descend. He landed on the edge of one of the Zephyr Steppes, looking out over the Sea of a Thousand Currents. The water was more still than usual, and the moon and stars were reflected upon its surface. "This is beautiful!" India breathed. "It's one of my favourite places. I feel as though I can see the whole world from here. It reassures me that Sornieth is safe, and reminds me of what's important." Lin said. "Life and death, it's all a balance, just like everything is. Right now, Runeclaw's spirit is out there, serving the Windsinger, keeping everything in balance. He's probably under the same stars we are, looking at the same sky." "Magiere too." India said, reminding Lin of his wayward apprentice. "She's under these stars somewhere, under the watch of the deities. She's the arcanist's child through and through." "She'll be okay." Lin nodded. "Maybe she isn't right now, but she's determined. She'll find what she's looking for someday. She'll find her balance." India smiled. "Thank you for this." "You work so hard, looking out for everyone who passes under your roof, I figured it's time you got a moment to yourself." Lin pointed out. "Thank you." India leaned her head on Lin's shoulder, staring out over the ocean, admiring the stars reflected on its surface and looking out at the lights of distant water clans. She wondered what was going on, what dragons were awake, moving and living and going about their lives. What dragons were still awake, for duty or for personal reasons. She didn't have to think about that. For once, she could let go and just be, just for a night. She handed a thermos of tea to Lin and the two sat in silence, enjoying the view until the sun came up and India has to once again return to her duties at the Copper Lotus. She loved her work, and she would never let it go, but that night with Lin was something she would treasure forever. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/46#post_36826756]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- Today's update is just a bit of filler, to check back in with Lin. Originally, I wrote this for today's submission for 25 Days of Lore, but as I was writing I realized this fit here too. Now that I'm on Christmas break I've been meaning to get this arc running. (Ideally, I'd love to wrap it up before the end of NOTN but right now it doesn't look like that will be happening.) I've gotten a bit sidetracked because I've decided to put links to lore my dragons are in within said dragons' bios, and as a result I've been reading through my lore again and that's got me thinking about where I'm taking my lore and so before I can properly move on I need to sort out where I am heading, so once I finish putting those links in bios I'll probably be back on track again! Oh! And if y'all want to read [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2566260/21#post_36743913]how Amaryllis and Cloud met[/url] as a special bonus, I wrote that for another 25 Days of Lore prompt! Just because these character will play roles as Tosha and Banella travel to Novus Lux!

Chapter 81: Relax

40726683_350.png

The moon rose high above Windkeep Tower. The chatter and hubbub of the clan was quieting as dragons settled down for the night. Only a faint lilting song could be heard from Redrick and Maye's suite. The piano and singing combined beautifully, a lullaby to lull the dragons of Windkeep Tower to sleep.

There was one dragon who was not yet asleep, however. In the tavern, India was doing the last of the cleaning. The last of the customers had gone to bed, and India had told her niece to go to bed and leave the closing to her.

Just as she was wiping down the last glass, there was the sound of a bell, and Lin came in the door. A faint smile stretched across India's face as she saw her boyfriend enter. She filled a kettle with hot water, he clearly needed tea. His wings hung at his side, almost dragging on the ground, and he looked exhausted.

"Did you find her?" India asked as he took his seat on the other side of the counter.

"Nope. I think she's gone." Lin sighed. "All that training, for nothing."

"Don't beat yourself up over it." India soothed, leaning on the counter across from the skydancer. "You know full well we can't choose the paths others take, we can only guide them. It is their choice whether or not they wish to follow."

"She was doing so well." Lin sighed. "She was making so much progress in her training, and now she wants to throw that all away to be someone's sidekick again?"

"You gave her your wisdom. That little seed is embedded in her head. Regardless of whether or not she listened, you made an impact." India told him. "That mark will not easily wash away, after all your years of training."

"You're right. It's just hard to let go." Lin sighed. "I've never had an apprentice before."

"It's always hard to let go." India told him.

"I suppose you know a thing or two about that." Lin said with a smile.

"Oh yes. I still don't think Juliette is making the right choice with Thorburn-"

"I wasn't talking about Thorburn." Lin said, looking deep into India's eyes. India looked away. To her surprise, tears were forming in her eyes.

"I feel like I should have done more for Runeclaw." India admitted. "I was so caught up with everything, I just left him to do his thing. And now he's gone-"

"I know." Lin spoke softly. "You did everything you could. He was a wild one, he was always going to make his own choices."

"I just wish I had more time with him." India sniffed.

"That's always the way with death." Lin smiled sadly. "There are always regrets, always more should-haves."

"The tea is ready." India suddenly remembered, and went to go pour a couple of mugs of chai tea.

"Hey, get out from behind that counter." Lin ordered softly. "You need something special tonight. Can we get those teas to go?"

India nodded, wiping the tears from her eyes. She poured the tea into a couple of thermoses and stepped out of The Copper Lotus, taking care to lock the door. Lin took to the skies, India following close behind. The stars shone down from the heavens, a little more sparse than usual.

"Where are we going?" India asked breathlessly. They were flying away from Windkeep Tower.

"You'll see." Lin said. "We're almost there."

They flew for a few minutes more before Lin began to descend. He landed on the edge of one of the Zephyr Steppes, looking out over the Sea of a Thousand Currents. The water was more still than usual, and the moon and stars were reflected upon its surface.

"This is beautiful!" India breathed.

"It's one of my favourite places. I feel as though I can see the whole world from here. It reassures me that Sornieth is safe, and reminds me of what's important." Lin said. "Life and death, it's all a balance, just like everything is. Right now, Runeclaw's spirit is out there, serving the Windsinger, keeping everything in balance. He's probably under the same stars we are, looking at the same sky."

"Magiere too." India said, reminding Lin of his wayward apprentice. "She's under these stars somewhere, under the watch of the deities. She's the arcanist's child through and through."

"She'll be okay." Lin nodded. "Maybe she isn't right now, but she's determined. She'll find what she's looking for someday. She'll find her balance."

India smiled. "Thank you for this."

"You work so hard, looking out for everyone who passes under your roof, I figured it's time you got a moment to yourself." Lin pointed out.

"Thank you." India leaned her head on Lin's shoulder, staring out over the ocean, admiring the stars reflected on its surface and looking out at the lights of distant water clans. She wondered what was going on, what dragons were awake, moving and living and going about their lives. What dragons were still awake, for duty or for personal reasons. She didn't have to think about that. For once, she could let go and just be, just for a night.

She handed a thermos of tea to Lin and the two sat in silence, enjoying the view until the sun came up and India has to once again return to her duties at the Copper Lotus. She loved her work, and she would never let it go, but that night with Lin was something she would treasure forever.

Today's update is just a bit of filler, to check back in with Lin. Originally, I wrote this for today's submission for 25 Days of Lore, but as I was writing I realized this fit here too.

Now that I'm on Christmas break I've been meaning to get this arc running. (Ideally, I'd love to wrap it up before the end of NOTN but right now it doesn't look like that will be happening.) I've gotten a bit sidetracked because I've decided to put links to lore my dragons are in within said dragons' bios, and as a result I've been reading through my lore again and that's got me thinking about where I'm taking my lore and so before I can properly move on I need to sort out where I am heading, so once I finish putting those links in bios I'll probably be back on track again!

Oh! And if y'all want to read how Amaryllis and Cloud met as a special bonus, I wrote that for another 25 Days of Lore prompt! Just because these character will play roles as Tosha and Banella travel to Novus Lux!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall That was a really sweet update, if melancholy. I'm glad that at least Lin and India have each other to lean on. Looks like they have plenty of common experiences, though I am of course dying to know where Magiere is right now. XD

I also read the post about Cloud's and Amaryllis' first meeting. Good heavens, that was quite a wreck! --the ship, I mean. And the way Amaryllis just walked up to him and started talking (and perched on his nose!) was hilarious. XD It looks like they have a really fun dynamic!
@Petall That was a really sweet update, if melancholy. I'm glad that at least Lin and India have each other to lean on. Looks like they have plenty of common experiences, though I am of course dying to know where Magiere is right now. XD

I also read the post about Cloud's and Amaryllis' first meeting. Good heavens, that was quite a wreck! --the ship, I mean. And the way Amaryllis just walked up to him and started talking (and perched on his nose!) was hilarious. XD It looks like they have a really fun dynamic!
@Disillusionist

I've been meaning to showcase Lin and India's relationship for a while now! And as for Magiere, I've got something in mind for her!

They do have a really fun dynamic! I can't wait to write more of them! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading their backstory!
@Disillusionist

I've been meaning to showcase Lin and India's relationship for a while now! And as for Magiere, I've got something in mind for her!

They do have a really fun dynamic! I can't wait to write more of them! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading their backstory!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/46#post_36812872]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 82: Work![/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47233283] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/472333/47233283_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45953399] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/459534/45953399_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Where's Banella?" Tosha shrugged, not meeting the fae's eye. In their week on The Comet, Banella had not turned up once to help out around the ship. Tosha had held her tongue, though she had to admit she was getting increasingly infuriated at the broody wildclaw. Still, getting upset would do nothing but turn Banella against her, so she continued to swab the decks and do her part. "Unbelievable." Amaryllis shook her head and let out a laugh. "Absolutely unbelievable. And Cloud has done nothing about it? Of course he hasn't." "I'm sorry-" "No, don't apologize. This has nothing to do with you. You've been amazing, pulling twice the work, but I'm not going to let her exploit you like that. You deserve a break. It's time for Banella to do some work for a change." Amaryllis said, growing angrier as she went on. "I really don't think-" "What? Is she holding your hostage against your will?" "Not exactly but-" "Then she can get off of her lazy backside and give you a break. Go! Shoo! Enjoy yourself! You deserve it!" Amaryllis fluttered towards Tosha, trying to push her along. "But-" "Just go!" Amaryllis was hitting Tosha with her wings now. "Go! Go! Go! Leave this to me!" "Alright! Alright!" Tosha said, dropping her rags into the soapy water and backing away. "Thank you!" "Hey, as much as I don't like Cloud picking up his strays, I recognize a good worker when I see one, and I don't want a good worker being exploited." [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33201295] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201295_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Banella seethed as hot soapy water ran down her arms. With a thunk, she dropped the rag on the ship deck and used her feet to rub it along the wood. "You missed a spot." Amaryllis yawned, perched on a rail and watching Banella's every move. Banella glowered at her. "It's funny how you think those glares will do anything." Amaryllis smirked. "They don't work on me." Banella didn't respond, just pushed all of her anger into cleaning the deck. She tried to ignore the annoying fae. She would pay for this. She would turn the little pipsqueak into an annoying character in her next play, that would show her. "You've really never done a days work in your life, have you? It shows. " Amaryllis fluttered down to inspect Banella's work more closely. "Do you pay people to do it for you or do you manipulate them into being your slaves?" "I don't have slaves." Banella shot back through gritted teeth. "Really? Then Tosha is just doing you a kindness then." Amaryllis sat herself on Banella's shoulder, spreading her wings to steady herself against the wildclaw's attempts to shake her off. "You know, more dragons would like you if you actually did something to show you cared for them. It's no surprise you're on your own brooding in that dusty theatre of yours." "What do you know about my life?" Banella growled. "Only what I've heard. Working on a trade ship lends its way to a lot of gossip." Amaryllis said. "Oh yeah, and what do the rumors say about me?" Banella asked, stopping to drench the rag once more. "Oh I've heard a lot. They say that you used to have a grand past, but you've grown so shriveled and bitter that you aren't worth all the hype." Amaryllis admitted. "They say your plays are halfway decent though, that's something. I bit over-dramatic and predictable, but somedragons like that." "Do you hate me?" Banella asked. "You? No. I couldn't care less about you and your personal life. But I won't have dragons getting away with letting someone else do all their work, not on my ship." Amaryllis said. "You know, you can't push people too hard and take advantage of them. Even the kindest dragon will snap under pressure." "Yeah, well what to you know." Banella muttered under her breath. She couldn't wait to be off this ship. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47309948] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/473100/47309948_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Tosha had taken a seat at the bow of the ship, admiring The Sea of a Thousand Current below them. She had to admit, she was getting a bit bored of only looking at water, but there was still something captivating about being so high up. "Mind if I join you?" Tosha turned around to see Cloud approaching her. "Go ahead!" "How are you finding the trip?" Cloud asked. "It's nice, though I can't say I have the best traveling companion. I'm just trying to make the most of it, see what I can learn." Tosha admitted. "I would hate for any of my passengers to be unhappy." Cloud told her. "If I can do anything at all for you, please let me know." "Thank you, your kindness is admirable." Tosha said with a smile. "How do you do it? I've seen it at the stops we've made in the Ashfall Wastes and here in the Sea of a Thousand Currents. No matter how difficult someone is being, you always seem so kind and patient with them. How do you do it?" Cloud shrugged. "I just never assume it's personal. A lot of dragons have a lot going on under the surface, everyone has a whole life within that no one truly sees. I figure there's a lot of dragons who already have to deal with a lot of nastiness, so why add to it? Besides, kindness is better for business." Tosha smiled. "I wish I had your patience. I've been trying so hard for so long to please Banella, but I keep almost messing it up because she treats me like dirt and that infuriates me." Cloud gave her a sad smile. "I mean it certainly helps that I only have to deal with difficult dragons for an afternoon or two, my job doesn't exactly let me stick around any one place very long. But kindness doesn't necessarily mean you don't get angry or frustrated or upset, it just means you choose to not let them dragon you down to your level. Kindness is a choice, it comes to very few dragons naturally." "I'm just tired of Banella walking all over me." Tosha sighed. "I really don't know why I keep putting up with it. I've spent the past two years of my life living in the back of her theatre for what? All this hard work, all this patience, it hasn't gotten me anywhere!" "Maybe it's time for something new then." Cloud suggested. "What do you mean?" "Well, if you aren't happy where you are, why stay?" Cloud went on. "Is gaining Banella's approval the only way to achieve your dreams?" "No, I guess not." "Then why not go somewhere else and try something new? Because something I've learned is there are some dragons you can never fully please, and you shouldn't be living a life trying to please other dragons, that's not healthy." "Maybe you're right." Tosha said, staring out over the ocean with new eyes. What was keeping her in Windkeep Tower? The world was hers for the taking. She could go anywhere. So what did she really want out of life? ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/46#post_36903583]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- Guess what I'm back on track with this! After a doubtful period yesterday in terms of where this story is going, I've put a lot of thought into this and am now once again excited to tell this story! Expect a lot of updates from here on out!

Chapter 82: Work!

47233283_350.png

45953399_350.png

"Where's Banella?"

Tosha shrugged, not meeting the fae's eye. In their week on The Comet, Banella had not turned up once to help out around the ship. Tosha had held her tongue, though she had to admit she was getting increasingly infuriated at the broody wildclaw. Still, getting upset would do nothing but turn Banella against her, so she continued to swab the decks and do her part.

"Unbelievable." Amaryllis shook her head and let out a laugh. "Absolutely unbelievable. And Cloud has done nothing about it? Of course he hasn't."

"I'm sorry-"

"No, don't apologize. This has nothing to do with you. You've been amazing, pulling twice the work, but I'm not going to let her exploit you like that. You deserve a break. It's time for Banella to do some work for a change." Amaryllis said, growing angrier as she went on.

"I really don't think-"

"What? Is she holding your hostage against your will?"

"Not exactly but-"

"Then she can get off of her lazy backside and give you a break. Go! Shoo! Enjoy yourself! You deserve it!" Amaryllis fluttered towards Tosha, trying to push her along.

"But-"

"Just go!" Amaryllis was hitting Tosha with her wings now. "Go! Go! Go! Leave this to me!"

"Alright! Alright!" Tosha said, dropping her rags into the soapy water and backing away. "Thank you!"

"Hey, as much as I don't like Cloud picking up his strays, I recognize a good worker when I see one, and I don't want a good worker being exploited."

Banella seethed as hot soapy water ran down her arms. With a thunk, she dropped the rag on the ship deck and used her feet to rub it along the wood.

"You missed a spot." Amaryllis yawned, perched on a rail and watching Banella's every move. Banella glowered at her. "It's funny how you think those glares will do anything." Amaryllis smirked. "They don't work on me."

Banella didn't respond, just pushed all of her anger into cleaning the deck. She tried to ignore the annoying fae. She would pay for this. She would turn the little pipsqueak into an annoying character in her next play, that would show her.

"You've really never done a days work in your life, have you? It shows. " Amaryllis fluttered down to inspect Banella's work more closely. "Do you pay people to do it for you or do you manipulate them into being your slaves?"

"I don't have slaves." Banella shot back through gritted teeth.

"Really? Then Tosha is just doing you a kindness then." Amaryllis sat herself on Banella's shoulder, spreading her wings to steady herself against the wildclaw's attempts to shake her off. "You know, more dragons would like you if you actually did something to show you cared for them. It's no surprise you're on your own brooding in that dusty theatre of yours."

"What do you know about my life?" Banella growled.

"Only what I've heard. Working on a trade ship lends its way to a lot of gossip." Amaryllis said.

"Oh yeah, and what do the rumors say about me?" Banella asked, stopping to drench the rag once more.

"Oh I've heard a lot. They say that you used to have a grand past, but you've grown so shriveled and bitter that you aren't worth all the hype." Amaryllis admitted. "They say your plays are halfway decent though, that's something. I bit over-dramatic and predictable, but somedragons like that."

"Do you hate me?" Banella asked.

"You? No. I couldn't care less about you and your personal life. But I won't have dragons getting away with letting someone else do all their work, not on my ship." Amaryllis said. "You know, you can't push people too hard and take advantage of them. Even the kindest dragon will snap under pressure."

"Yeah, well what to you know." Banella muttered under her breath. She couldn't wait to be off this ship.

Tosha had taken a seat at the bow of the ship, admiring The Sea of a Thousand Current below them. She had to admit, she was getting a bit bored of only looking at water, but there was still something captivating about being so high up.

"Mind if I join you?" Tosha turned around to see Cloud approaching her.

"Go ahead!"

"How are you finding the trip?" Cloud asked.

"It's nice, though I can't say I have the best traveling companion. I'm just trying to make the most of it, see what I can learn." Tosha admitted.

"I would hate for any of my passengers to be unhappy." Cloud told her. "If I can do anything at all for you, please let me know."

"Thank you, your kindness is admirable." Tosha said with a smile. "How do you do it? I've seen it at the stops we've made in the Ashfall Wastes and here in the Sea of a Thousand Currents. No matter how difficult someone is being, you always seem so kind and patient with them. How do you do it?"

Cloud shrugged. "I just never assume it's personal. A lot of dragons have a lot going on under the surface, everyone has a whole life within that no one truly sees. I figure there's a lot of dragons who already have to deal with a lot of nastiness, so why add to it? Besides, kindness is better for business."

Tosha smiled. "I wish I had your patience. I've been trying so hard for so long to please Banella, but I keep almost messing it up because she treats me like dirt and that infuriates me."

Cloud gave her a sad smile. "I mean it certainly helps that I only have to deal with difficult dragons for an afternoon or two, my job doesn't exactly let me stick around any one place very long. But kindness doesn't necessarily mean you don't get angry or frustrated or upset, it just means you choose to not let them dragon you down to your level. Kindness is a choice, it comes to very few dragons naturally."

"I'm just tired of Banella walking all over me." Tosha sighed. "I really don't know why I keep putting up with it. I've spent the past two years of my life living in the back of her theatre for what? All this hard work, all this patience, it hasn't gotten me anywhere!"

"Maybe it's time for something new then." Cloud suggested.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if you aren't happy where you are, why stay?" Cloud went on. "Is gaining Banella's approval the only way to achieve your dreams?"

"No, I guess not."

"Then why not go somewhere else and try something new? Because something I've learned is there are some dragons you can never fully please, and you shouldn't be living a life trying to please other dragons, that's not healthy."

"Maybe you're right." Tosha said, staring out over the ocean with new eyes. What was keeping her in Windkeep Tower? The world was hers for the taking. She could go anywhere. So what did she really want out of life?

Guess what I'm back on track with this! After a doubtful period yesterday in terms of where this story is going, I've put a lot of thought into this and am now once again excited to tell this story! Expect a lot of updates from here on out!
nice. the last one smacked me in the feels.
nice. the last one smacked me in the feels.
please buy my dragons
r7i0TKR.png
alphabet legacy
challenge
please just send private auctions.
it's a CR with half the hassle,
and with PAs we both get our stuff instantly.
@Petall Oooohh, there were so many great moments in this update. Banella finally got that long-awaited comeuppance, but this line from Amaryllis was a diamond among the solid-gold roasts:

"Oh I've heard a lot. They say that you used to have a grand past, but you've grown so shriveled and bitter that you aren't worth all the hype."

And Banella's planned revenge -- turning Amaryllis into nothing more than an annoying play character -- really shows how out-of-steam she is. xD

Cloud's talk was also incredibly interesting, if only for how quickly it sank into Tosha. Looking forward to seeing where things go from here!
@Petall Oooohh, there were so many great moments in this update. Banella finally got that long-awaited comeuppance, but this line from Amaryllis was a diamond among the solid-gold roasts:

"Oh I've heard a lot. They say that you used to have a grand past, but you've grown so shriveled and bitter that you aren't worth all the hype."

And Banella's planned revenge -- turning Amaryllis into nothing more than an annoying play character -- really shows how out-of-steam she is. xD

Cloud's talk was also incredibly interesting, if only for how quickly it sank into Tosha. Looking forward to seeing where things go from here!
@RiaFire11

Thanks!

@Disillusionist

I'm so glad you enjoyed Amaryllis' roasts! They were so fun to write!

For Banella, that's a nasty form of revenge! XD
@RiaFire11

Thanks!

@Disillusionist

I'm so glad you enjoyed Amaryllis' roasts! They were so fun to write!

For Banella, that's a nasty form of revenge! XD
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/46#post_36826756]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 83: Jumping Ship[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45953399] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/459534/45953399_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33201295] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201295_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Tosha jolted awake. Banella was vigorously shaking her so intently she felt a bit rattled. Their quarters were completely dark, it was still the middle of the night. Trying to make sense of everything Tosha conjured a small ball of light. Banella hissed as the light touched her eyes. "Put that out!" Banella ordered in a hushed tone. "I'm not on Night Watch tonight." Tosha reminded the wildclaw. "Aren't you supposed to be up there keeping an eye on things?" "I'm done being disrespected, we can make our own way." Banella insisted. "I'm done with that little-" "Okay! Okay!" Tosha sat up, trying to wake herself up enough to make sense of what Banella was saying. "Aren't we still over the Tangled Wood? I don't know my way through the Tangled Wood. Wouldn't it be better to stay on board? Especially at this time in the elemental cycle?" "I used to live there remember? I need to see my old clan, to see what remains of my sister's kingdom." "But you said it's dead and gone!" Tosha was indignant. She didn't want to go jumping into who knows what with a dragon who didn't seem entirely sane. "What's the point?" "I've only heard it's dead and gone. I need to see it with my own eyes." Banella insisted. "I need to know what I've heard is true." "Can't this wait until morning?" "We need to go when Amaryllis won't notice. I've had it with that dirty rotten little..." As Banella ranted, Tosha pieced together everything the wildclaw was asking of her. In the back of her mind, she remembered her conversation with Cloud. She didn't have to do this, not really. She could stay on the ship and try her luck elsewhere. There more she thought about it, however, the more she remembered the desperation and helplessness of Banella the evening she had promised to help. She was grieving her old life in her own strange way, and Tosha had agreed to help her. She had to see it through before she made any decision moving forward. "Alright, let's go." Tosha agreed. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] Tosha and Banella had been wandering through the Tangled Wood for the past two days, dodging mimics and trying to stay out of trouble. Tosha was certain the pair was lost, but Banella was insistent they were close. "Didn't you say the clan moved around?" Tosha groaned. "Yes, but there was a pattern to it. I'm certain it's just around the next corner!" It was never around the next corner. Just as Tosha was reaching her wit's end, there was a sound from the tangled brambles surrounding them. Something was coming. Tosha prepared to face some sort of mimic when suddenly another wildclaw burst through the wilds, looking vaguely familiar. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26649130] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/266492/26649130_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Magiere?!" Banella exclaimed. In shock, the other wildclaw skidded to a halt and almost collapsed. "Thank goodness it's only you!" Magiere gasped. "What do you mean, only me?" Banella shot back, clearly offended. "You're not looking for the Clan of Resting Wings ruins, are you?" Magiere asked. "Yes we-" "You can't go there!" Magiere grew wild eyed. "Something has happened- It's dangerous- I only just got away- I almost died-" Banella rolled her eyes. "So you got spooked-" "No, you don't understand!" Magiere was growing more and more hysterical. "It's changed! It's evil!" "Now you're just being overdramatic. I can handle a few ghosts you know." Banella dismissed her. "Oh that's rich." Magiere rolled her eyes. "What's that supposed to mean?" Banella asked. "You calling me overdramatic." Magiere raised her eyebrows. "I'm not-" "Oh if you want to go get devoured by the cursed ruins be my guest! I'm only trying to keep you alive!" Magiere cut her off. "Like you ever cared about me before." Banella growled. "Why should I believe you?" "What's that supposed to mean?" "Well, everyone knows you and Legba held the most power in the clan before my family began to rule. How do I know this isn't some attempt at revenge?" Banella asked. "Not everything centers around you Banella! This is why you were such an insufferable princess." "So you admit it!" "Admit what?" "That you hate me!" "I don't hate you!" Magiere spat back. "I may not like you, but quite frankly, you aren't significant enough for me to hate." "Both of you, stop!" Tosha shrieked at the top of her lungs. The quarreling wildclaws fell silent. "You are both being ridiculous! Can't you save the quarreling for a time when we are not lost? Banella, you said you wanted to arrive in the Sunbeam Ruins during Night of the Nocturne. If you want to do that we really need to get moving and give up this wild goose chase. We have no reason not to believe Magiere." "You're going the the Sunbeam Ruins?" Magiere asked. "To Novus Lux?" "Why do you want to know?" Banella shot back. "Well, I might as well tag along." Magiere decided. "I'm trying to find Legba, and you seem to know where you're going far more than I do." "Over my dead body." Banella growled. "I am not traveling with you." "Oh yeah? Well you don't get a say anymore, Princess. That's what happens when you don't have a kingdom." Magiere said, her teeth glinting in the light of the glowing mushrooms and her eyes beginning to glow pink with arcane power. "I'm coming and that's final." "Hmmph." Banella turned her head away from the other wildclaw, clearly deigning to ignore her. Tosha took a deep breath, trying to resist the urge to curl up in the gooey soil like a worm and wait for the two to do away with each other. This was going to be a long trip. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/47#post_36956777]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- Merry Christmas Eve everyone! Or Happy Holidays if you don't celebrate Christmas! Hope you all are enjoying Night of the Nocturne! I know I am!

Chapter 83: Jumping Ship

45953399_350.png

33201295_350.png

Tosha jolted awake. Banella was vigorously shaking her so intently she felt a bit rattled. Their quarters were completely dark, it was still the middle of the night. Trying to make sense of everything Tosha conjured a small ball of light. Banella hissed as the light touched her eyes.

"Put that out!" Banella ordered in a hushed tone.

"I'm not on Night Watch tonight." Tosha reminded the wildclaw. "Aren't you supposed to be up there keeping an eye on things?"

"I'm done being disrespected, we can make our own way." Banella insisted. "I'm done with that little-"

"Okay! Okay!" Tosha sat up, trying to wake herself up enough to make sense of what Banella was saying. "Aren't we still over the Tangled Wood? I don't know my way through the Tangled Wood. Wouldn't it be better to stay on board? Especially at this time in the elemental cycle?"

"I used to live there remember? I need to see my old clan, to see what remains of my sister's kingdom."

"But you said it's dead and gone!" Tosha was indignant. She didn't want to go jumping into who knows what with a dragon who didn't seem entirely sane. "What's the point?"

"I've only heard it's dead and gone. I need to see it with my own eyes." Banella insisted. "I need to know what I've heard is true."

"Can't this wait until morning?"

"We need to go when Amaryllis won't notice. I've had it with that dirty rotten little..."

As Banella ranted, Tosha pieced together everything the wildclaw was asking of her. In the back of her mind, she remembered her conversation with Cloud. She didn't have to do this, not really. She could stay on the ship and try her luck elsewhere. There more she thought about it, however, the more she remembered the desperation and helplessness of Banella the evening she had promised to help. She was grieving her old life in her own strange way, and Tosha had agreed to help her. She had to see it through before she made any decision moving forward.

"Alright, let's go." Tosha agreed.

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

Tosha and Banella had been wandering through the Tangled Wood for the past two days, dodging mimics and trying to stay out of trouble. Tosha was certain the pair was lost, but Banella was insistent they were close.

"Didn't you say the clan moved around?" Tosha groaned.

"Yes, but there was a pattern to it. I'm certain it's just around the next corner!"

It was never around the next corner.

Just as Tosha was reaching her wit's end, there was a sound from the tangled brambles surrounding them. Something was coming. Tosha prepared to face some sort of mimic when suddenly another wildclaw burst through the wilds, looking vaguely familiar.

"Magiere?!" Banella exclaimed. In shock, the other wildclaw skidded to a halt and almost collapsed.

"Thank goodness it's only you!" Magiere gasped.

"What do you mean, only me?" Banella shot back, clearly offended.

"You're not looking for the Clan of Resting Wings ruins, are you?" Magiere asked.

"Yes we-"

"You can't go there!" Magiere grew wild eyed. "Something has happened- It's dangerous- I only just got away- I almost died-"

Banella rolled her eyes. "So you got spooked-"

"No, you don't understand!" Magiere was growing more and more hysterical. "It's changed! It's evil!"

"Now you're just being overdramatic. I can handle a few ghosts you know." Banella dismissed her.

"Oh that's rich." Magiere rolled her eyes.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Banella asked.

"You calling me overdramatic." Magiere raised her eyebrows.

"I'm not-"

"Oh if you want to go get devoured by the cursed ruins be my guest! I'm only trying to keep you alive!" Magiere cut her off.

"Like you ever cared about me before." Banella growled. "Why should I believe you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, everyone knows you and Legba held the most power in the clan before my family began to rule. How do I know this isn't some attempt at revenge?" Banella asked.

"Not everything centers around you Banella! This is why you were such an insufferable princess."

"So you admit it!"

"Admit what?"

"That you hate me!"

"I don't hate you!" Magiere spat back. "I may not like you, but quite frankly, you aren't significant enough for me to hate."

"Both of you, stop!" Tosha shrieked at the top of her lungs. The quarreling wildclaws fell silent. "You are both being ridiculous! Can't you save the quarreling for a time when we are not lost? Banella, you said you wanted to arrive in the Sunbeam Ruins during Night of the Nocturne. If you want to do that we really need to get moving and give up this wild goose chase. We have no reason not to believe Magiere."

"You're going the the Sunbeam Ruins?" Magiere asked. "To Novus Lux?"

"Why do you want to know?" Banella shot back.

"Well, I might as well tag along." Magiere decided. "I'm trying to find Legba, and you seem to know where you're going far more than I do."

"Over my dead body." Banella growled. "I am not traveling with you."

"Oh yeah? Well you don't get a say anymore, Princess. That's what happens when you don't have a kingdom." Magiere said, her teeth glinting in the light of the glowing mushrooms and her eyes beginning to glow pink with arcane power. "I'm coming and that's final."

"Hmmph." Banella turned her head away from the other wildclaw, clearly deigning to ignore her.

Tosha took a deep breath, trying to resist the urge to curl up in the gooey soil like a worm and wait for the two to do away with each other. This was going to be a long trip.

Merry Christmas Eve everyone! Or Happy Holidays if you don't celebrate Christmas! Hope you all are enjoying Night of the Nocturne! I know I am!
1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 78 79