Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 78 79
@Petall This is amazing. I forgot how much I love these two...sigh

Also, the 'strange doctor in shadow' part killed me! :D :P

Dude, how are you so good at writing? It will always stump me - you're just fantastic. I love it so much. :D
@Petall This is amazing. I forgot how much I love these two...sigh

Also, the 'strange doctor in shadow' part killed me! :D :P

Dude, how are you so good at writing? It will always stump me - you're just fantastic. I love it so much. :D
@CleverDual

Thank you, and I know, right??? I love getting to dip back into my old lore for these flashbacks! I've always wanted to write it out!

Lol

THANK YOU SO MUCH THAT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME!!!
@CleverDual

Thank you, and I know, right??? I love getting to dip back into my old lore for these flashbacks! I've always wanted to write it out!

Lol

THANK YOU SO MUCH THAT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME!!!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall This is great! I loved how you wrote it!
@Petall This is great! I loved how you wrote it!
SEwVSoU.png ______phee | she/they | +2 fr time | art shop | hatchery | clan directory______ 1cnGog5.png
@rainphee

Thank you!!!
@rainphee

Thank you!!!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/41#post_35881755]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 73: Little Ray of Sunshine[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33201295] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201295_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Banella was roused by a knock at her door. Who could be calling her at this hour? Kaladin left her to her own devices now that he had stopped working for her and started the circus. Her actors and performers knew better than to knock directly on her door, if they needed anything they were to go through her stagehand, Thornspine. Maybe it was her imagination. She hadn't been getting a lot of sleep lately. The knock sounded again and Banella found she could no longer ignore it. Whoever it was was going to get a good talking to for interrupting her brooding. She opened the door to see a bright eyed young coatl, just out of hatchlinghood. He stared up at the wildclaw with wide, adoring eyes and a smile stretched across her face. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45953399] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/459534/45953399_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Hi! Are you Banella? Merry said I'd find you here!" She exclaimed, fidgeting a bit. "Yes, I am her." Banella said reluctantly. "I want to join your theatre! I think I have what it takes to be a star!" She explained. "My name is Tosha, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be a great performer!" "Look, kid. I admire your enthusiasm, but I already have enough on my hands with my fully trained actors. I don't have the time or energy to take on an apprentice." Banella tried to explain. "I have all the performers I need between my permanent performers and those who pass through Windkeep Tower. Maybe if you make it big, you can perform on my stage, but I'm not just going to let just anyone on because they knock on my door and say please." "But-" Tosha protested, looking devastated. "Goodbye Tosha." With that, Banella closed the door and returned to her room to brood. Try as she might, she couldn't get Tosha out of her mind. Had she been that bright-eyed young thing once, before her father and sister dashed her dreams? She didn't even know what it was like to hope for anything anymore. Once she plotted the demise of her sister's line, and lived to see her dream through. Now her sister's line and clan had fallen and she didn't feel nearly as satisfied as she ought to. Maybe it was just because she hadn't done it herself. But regardless, Banella was not one to hold regrets. All she could do was move forward. Still, it felt like she was just going through the motions. Her theatre basically ran itself now, they hardly needed her. It had been years since she had performed in one of her own plays. Life wasn't nearly as exciting for those who lost, and judging by the way things had gone for her sister, the victory didn't last for those who won either. Sooner or later, Tosha would learn that, and Banella did not want to be the one to see her break. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37997969] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/379980/37997969_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Look kid, I admire your enthusiasm and everything, but, how to put this delicately." Tosha stared up at Kaladin curiously, holding onto the hope that if she could not join the theatre, maybe she could join the circus. The pearlcatcher ringmaster seemed exhausted, like he found the thought of dealing with a hatchling too much to bear. That's what he was going to say. Just like Banella, he was going to disregard her because of her age. "My circus holds to a certain aesthetic." Kaladin continued. "I was born in shadow, as were the majority of my live performers. Most of my performers are undead. We are a mysterious corner in the vibrant clan of Windkeep Tower, and you, my little sunshine child, are too bright to fit in." Tosha sighed and lowered her eyes. Being a star was going to be a lot harder than she thought. It wasn't as if she expected anything instant. She knew it would take training and years of hard work, but she wasn't expecting this much resistance. "Of course, there are ways around it." The young coatl perked up as the pearlcatcher rattled on, playing with the rose stem in his teeth. "But scatterscrolls are far too expensive, especially considering their low success rates. It would take many many scrolls to change your colour to fit the circus. If you can afford it, I'm sure we can make a pretty penny or two to see the dragon who's scales change every night, but I'm doubtful you could keep that up, and I'm sure you don't want to ruin your pretty face." "Thank you anyways." Tosha said glumly. Looks like Windkeep Tower wouldn't be her new home, which was a shame because she really really liked it here. She had seen it on a postcard as a hatchling and had known instantly that she wanted this to be her home. "Sorry kid, but an aesthetic's and aesthetic." Kaladin said, spitting out a thorn he had chewed off the rose stem. "Why don't you try at the theatre? Banella's tough, but she's always keen to take on new talent if you can earn your keep on the stage." "I already tried." Tosha admitted. "Tough luck kid, but Windkeep Tower isn't the only circus. I'm sure you could find someone who will take you on." Kaladin said, only the slightest hint of remorse in his voice. As Tosha left the circus grounds, she tried to think of where she'd try next. Maybe she could get a room at the local inn and she could ask around for other places nearby who could be looking for a performer. Dragons had to learn these skills somewhere, right? As she walked towards the tower, she decided to walk by the theatre entrance as she made her way around the structure to the inn. She tried to hold onto what Banella had said, about taking her on if she made it big. All hope wasn't lost, she reminded herself, as long as she worked hard, she should be able to make it here someday. She stopped to watch as the setting sun cast its rays on the playhouse, and she turned as the lights began to rise at the circus, the carnival music rising into the sky as it opened for the night. She would be back, that she promised herself. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] The innkeeper at the Copper Lotus was very kind. After seeing the disheartened look on the young coatl's face, she had offered Tosha a dinner and a room free of charge. She had even talked to Tosha about other opportunities in other clans, and helped her figure out where to try next. Now Tosha sat on her own at the table, looking at the various pamphlets and maps the wildclaw had given her while the innkeeper returned to her work. Suddenly, Tosha's study was interrupted by another coatl sliding onto the other side of her booth. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45967262] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/459673/45967262_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Tosha, right?" He asked, extending a hand. "I'm Thornspine, though most just call me Thorn." "How do you know my name?" Tosha asked as she shook his hand. "I saw you trying to talk to Banella earlier. Don't take it personally, she's renowned for being picky and snooty. She claims she has royal blood, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's all an act." Thorn explained. "I'm sorry, I didn't see you." Tosha said sheepishly. "Don't worry, not many do." A sad smile crossed his face. "I work as a stage hand at the theatre. My parents are performers, though they didn't pay me much mind after they discovered I didn't want to follow in their footsteps. They're too wrapped up in their own drama to care for much else." "I'm sorry." Tosha said. "Don't be. It's just the way it is." Thorn shrugged. "Anyways, would you still be interested in joining the theatre?" "Of course! But I thought Banella didn't want me?" Tosha tilted her head, confused. "Did she change her mind?" "Not exactly." Thorn flicked his tongue nervously. "But you could come and live in the theatre with me, earn your keep and maybe she'll look at you twice." "You really mean it?!" Tosha lit up immediately. Did she really stand a chance after all? "I can't make any promises, but really, is there any harm in trying?" Thorn asked. "I guess not." Tosha said, feeling her smile grow wider and wider. Maybe she had a friend here after all. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/43#post_36220851]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- And here we are, at the start of a new arc! This one will centre around Banella, but there are a few other characters that will play big roles, such as Tosha. I hope you enjoy this arc, I know this is one I've been looking forward to writing for a long time!

Chapter 73: Little Ray of Sunshine

33201295_350.png

Banella was roused by a knock at her door. Who could be calling her at this hour? Kaladin left her to her own devices now that he had stopped working for her and started the circus. Her actors and performers knew better than to knock directly on her door, if they needed anything they were to go through her stagehand, Thornspine. Maybe it was her imagination. She hadn't been getting a lot of sleep lately.

The knock sounded again and Banella found she could no longer ignore it. Whoever it was was going to get a good talking to for interrupting her brooding. She opened the door to see a bright eyed young coatl, just out of hatchlinghood. He stared up at the wildclaw with wide, adoring eyes and a smile stretched across her face.

"Hi! Are you Banella? Merry said I'd find you here!" She exclaimed, fidgeting a bit.

"Yes, I am her." Banella said reluctantly.

"I want to join your theatre! I think I have what it takes to be a star!" She explained. "My name is Tosha, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be a great performer!"

"Look, kid. I admire your enthusiasm, but I already have enough on my hands with my fully trained actors. I don't have the time or energy to take on an apprentice." Banella tried to explain. "I have all the performers I need between my permanent performers and those who pass through Windkeep Tower. Maybe if you make it big, you can perform on my stage, but I'm not just going to let just anyone on because they knock on my door and say please."

"But-" Tosha protested, looking devastated.

"Goodbye Tosha." With that, Banella closed the door and returned to her room to brood.

Try as she might, she couldn't get Tosha out of her mind. Had she been that bright-eyed young thing once, before her father and sister dashed her dreams? She didn't even know what it was like to hope for anything anymore. Once she plotted the demise of her sister's line, and lived to see her dream through. Now her sister's line and clan had fallen and she didn't feel nearly as satisfied as she ought to. Maybe it was just because she hadn't done it herself. But regardless, Banella was not one to hold regrets. All she could do was move forward.

Still, it felt like she was just going through the motions. Her theatre basically ran itself now, they hardly needed her. It had been years since she had performed in one of her own plays. Life wasn't nearly as exciting for those who lost, and judging by the way things had gone for her sister, the victory didn't last for those who won either. Sooner or later, Tosha would learn that, and Banella did not want to be the one to see her break.

"Look kid, I admire your enthusiasm and everything, but, how to put this delicately." Tosha stared up at Kaladin curiously, holding onto the hope that if she could not join the theatre, maybe she could join the circus. The pearlcatcher ringmaster seemed exhausted, like he found the thought of dealing with a hatchling too much to bear. That's what he was going to say. Just like Banella, he was going to disregard her because of her age.

"My circus holds to a certain aesthetic." Kaladin continued. "I was born in shadow, as were the majority of my live performers. Most of my performers are undead. We are a mysterious corner in the vibrant clan of Windkeep Tower, and you, my little sunshine child, are too bright to fit in."

Tosha sighed and lowered her eyes. Being a star was going to be a lot harder than she thought. It wasn't as if she expected anything instant. She knew it would take training and years of hard work, but she wasn't expecting this much resistance.

"Of course, there are ways around it." The young coatl perked up as the pearlcatcher rattled on, playing with the rose stem in his teeth. "But scatterscrolls are far too expensive, especially considering their low success rates. It would take many many scrolls to change your colour to fit the circus. If you can afford it, I'm sure we can make a pretty penny or two to see the dragon who's scales change every night, but I'm doubtful you could keep that up, and I'm sure you don't want to ruin your pretty face."

"Thank you anyways." Tosha said glumly. Looks like Windkeep Tower wouldn't be her new home, which was a shame because she really really liked it here. She had seen it on a postcard as a hatchling and had known instantly that she wanted this to be her home.

"Sorry kid, but an aesthetic's and aesthetic." Kaladin said, spitting out a thorn he had chewed off the rose stem. "Why don't you try at the theatre? Banella's tough, but she's always keen to take on new talent if you can earn your keep on the stage."

"I already tried." Tosha admitted.

"Tough luck kid, but Windkeep Tower isn't the only circus. I'm sure you could find someone who will take you on." Kaladin said, only the slightest hint of remorse in his voice.

As Tosha left the circus grounds, she tried to think of where she'd try next. Maybe she could get a room at the local inn and she could ask around for other places nearby who could be looking for a performer. Dragons had to learn these skills somewhere, right?

As she walked towards the tower, she decided to walk by the theatre entrance as she made her way around the structure to the inn. She tried to hold onto what Banella had said, about taking her on if she made it big. All hope wasn't lost, she reminded herself, as long as she worked hard, she should be able to make it here someday. She stopped to watch as the setting sun cast its rays on the playhouse, and she turned as the lights began to rise at the circus, the carnival music rising into the sky as it opened for the night. She would be back, that she promised herself.

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

The innkeeper at the Copper Lotus was very kind. After seeing the disheartened look on the young coatl's face, she had offered Tosha a dinner and a room free of charge. She had even talked to Tosha about other opportunities in other clans, and helped her figure out where to try next. Now Tosha sat on her own at the table, looking at the various pamphlets and maps the wildclaw had given her while the innkeeper returned to her work.

Suddenly, Tosha's study was interrupted by another coatl sliding onto the other side of her booth.

"Tosha, right?" He asked, extending a hand. "I'm Thornspine, though most just call me Thorn."

"How do you know my name?" Tosha asked as she shook his hand.

"I saw you trying to talk to Banella earlier. Don't take it personally, she's renowned for being picky and snooty. She claims she has royal blood, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's all an act." Thorn explained.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you." Tosha said sheepishly.

"Don't worry, not many do." A sad smile crossed his face. "I work as a stage hand at the theatre. My parents are performers, though they didn't pay me much mind after they discovered I didn't want to follow in their footsteps. They're too wrapped up in their own drama to care for much else."

"I'm sorry." Tosha said.

"Don't be. It's just the way it is." Thorn shrugged. "Anyways, would you still be interested in joining the theatre?"

"Of course! But I thought Banella didn't want me?" Tosha tilted her head, confused. "Did she change her mind?"

"Not exactly." Thorn flicked his tongue nervously. "But you could come and live in the theatre with me, earn your keep and maybe she'll look at you twice."

"You really mean it?!" Tosha lit up immediately. Did she really stand a chance after all?

"I can't make any promises, but really, is there any harm in trying?" Thorn asked.

"I guess not." Tosha said, feeling her smile grow wider and wider. Maybe she had a friend here after all.

And here we are, at the start of a new arc! This one will centre around Banella, but there are a few other characters that will play big roles, such as Tosha. I hope you enjoy this arc, I know this is one I've been looking forward to writing for a long time!
@Petall AHhhhHHHHHHHHHHH [quote=Petall]"Sorry kid, but an aesthetic's and aesthetic." Kaladin said, spitting out a thorn he had chewed off the rose stem. [/quote] this killed me....
@Petall AHhhhHHHHHHHHHHH
Petall wrote:
"Sorry kid, but an aesthetic's and aesthetic." Kaladin said, spitting out a thorn he had chewed off the rose stem.

this killed me....
@CleverDual

I thought you would like it! :D
@CleverDual

I thought you would like it! :D
@Petall EEEEEEEE Tosha is so cute! She reminds me a bit of Mollie. *pinches Tosha's cheeks* Never mind about Kally's "es-the-teeeek", darling; you're still an awesome ray of sunshine. <3
@Petall EEEEEEEE Tosha is so cute! She reminds me a bit of Mollie. *pinches Tosha's cheeks* Never mind about Kally's "es-the-teeeek", darling; you're still an awesome ray of sunshine. <3
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
Amazing. The bit about aesthetics was hilarious!
Amazing. The bit about aesthetics was hilarious!
SEwVSoU.png ______phee | she/they | +2 fr time | art shop | hatchery | clan directory______ 1cnGog5.png
@Disillusionist

I'm sure she and Mollie would get on wonderfully! I'm glad you like her!

@rainphee

Thank you! I had to add that after I realized all of my circus dragons all fit the same purple circus aesthetic!
@Disillusionist

I'm sure she and Mollie would get on wonderfully! I'm glad you like her!

@rainphee

Thank you! I had to add that after I realized all of my circus dragons all fit the same purple circus aesthetic!
1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 78 79