Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 78 79
@Kizzan

Yesss more is always good! (I hope you did manage to get a good sleep though)

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I was worried about how it would turn out not having much battle experience!

R.I.P. Killing characters never gets easy.

I was really glad to have a chance to check in on Schism again, seeing as it's been a while since she showed up and she's still part of the clan and everything!

I felt bad for always having the other characters trashing on Kully's ideals so I figured it was time for him to stand up for them, seeing as I tend to be an idealistic person myself!

Yeah, I stole that chapter title from one of my favourite songs in the Greatest Showman, it seemed to be a great fit for this chapter.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It feels so good to have another story arc finished! I am not really known for finishing a lot of stories that I write! You're almost caught up now, you only really have two chapters left!

@Aetherstorm

THANKS! Tbh I needed a lighthearted chapter because I was a bit stressed and tired after school.

It is so awesome!!! I can't wait to have it again next week! It's a pity yours is boring, hopefully you learn a lot from it though? To be honest I had no idea mine was a Pixar class when I first signed up for it, or any idea just how fun it would be!
@Kizzan

Yesss more is always good! (I hope you did manage to get a good sleep though)

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I was worried about how it would turn out not having much battle experience!

R.I.P. Killing characters never gets easy.

I was really glad to have a chance to check in on Schism again, seeing as it's been a while since she showed up and she's still part of the clan and everything!

I felt bad for always having the other characters trashing on Kully's ideals so I figured it was time for him to stand up for them, seeing as I tend to be an idealistic person myself!

Yeah, I stole that chapter title from one of my favourite songs in the Greatest Showman, it seemed to be a great fit for this chapter.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It feels so good to have another story arc finished! I am not really known for finishing a lot of stories that I write! You're almost caught up now, you only really have two chapters left!

@Aetherstorm

THANKS! Tbh I needed a lighthearted chapter because I was a bit stressed and tired after school.

It is so awesome!!! I can't wait to have it again next week! It's a pity yours is boring, hopefully you learn a lot from it though? To be honest I had no idea mine was a Pixar class when I first signed up for it, or any idea just how fun it would be!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/40#post_35202325]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 72: No Ordinary Ring[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=27871527] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/278716/27871527_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38553575] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/385536/38553575_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Nymph jolted awake, briefly forgetting she was below the deck of her husband's boat. Beside her Colm shifted but didn't wake up. Nymph took a moment to catch her breath again, letting the gentle rocking of the ship comfort her. She focused on the scent of salt in the air, letting reality wash over her again once more. It was then that Nymph caught sight of it. A glow emanated from her ruby ring, casting a warm red light around the cabin. Her birthright was calling again. She wondered who it would be this time. Casting one last glance at Colm, who was snoring and had now sprawled himself across her empty side of the bed. With a smile, she made her way up to the deck. There, she stared out over the vast Sea of a Thousand Currents. They were docked near two stone spires rising high above the water. Most would assume it to just that - sharp rocks just like so many others breaking the surface of the water, but Nymph knew differently. Now, who was it she needed to send through the gate now? But they were alone on the water. No ships could be seen anywhere near them. The sea was as still as glass, reflecting the moon and stars above. Nymph was alone. Suddenly, she felt the panic course through her again, but this time, in her wakefulness, she realized it was not originating from her chest, but from the ring on her finger. This wasn't a pull to open the gate, there was a message, and it was a message of danger. She closed her eyes and she began to hum a song. As the notes filled the air and the song filled her heart, a vision appeared in her mind's eye. A vast island, no land visible anywhere in sight. It was alone in the ocean, great and hulking. Nymph knew it well, and seeing it sent a rush of homesickness, though she had never set foot on the island herself. Her ancestors had hailed from it, having fled some unknown terror. Now she shared a connection with it, through the rings, and it was reaching out to her. [i]Danger![/i] The message filled Nymph to the very core, and in that moment she became the message. [i]The second ring! it is in danger![/i] The second ring! It had been a legend, a family story, about how there had been a second ruby ring that also held a connection to the island, but nobody seemed to know where it had gone. Everyone Nymph had asked had given her a different story. She had thought it to be a myth, a glimmer of hope that her family was not the only who held the blood of the island, but it appeared it was real, and in danger. If something like that got into the wrong hands- well she hated to think. She needed to return to Windkeep Tower as soon as she could, and find a way to find the second ring and keep it safe. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37997969] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/379980/37997969_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Deep beneath the theatre of Windkeep Tower, Kaladin paced in his workshop. His circus was coming together nicely. He now had three live acts, and he could easily fill the spaces with his abilities until he found more dragons to join him. It was sure to be a success. So many dragon came and went to Windkeep Tower as it was, a little extra entertainment was sure to be a hit. Of course, he needed to summon the extra acts before he put them on, and to do that, he needed to make the right connections. That's why he was down here, it was the best places to hear the voices. if he could hear a voice, it was easier to pull a real dragon up, rather than some undead monstrosity. By habit, he ran the voices through his head like threads, slowly narrowing them down, letting go of weaker or less interesting threads until only one remained. He latched on to the once voice, pulling it in. He didn't know why he chose this specific voice, maybe it was the way it complained about being wronged. Kaladin too had been wronged by fate. Soon, a wildclaw began to take shape in the room. Kaladin could instantly sense it's anger and he wondered why he was doing this, but summoning the dead always calmed his nerves. Soon the form solidified, and the spirit was standing before him. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37069518] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/370696/37069518_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Who are you?" The wildclaw demanded angrily. "That is none of your concern." Kaladin sighed, going over to his desk and riffling through his notes. He really needed to stop doing this whenever he was bored. It was going to come back to bite him sooner or later, especially if he kept summoning the angry ones. "Don't you know who I am?" The wildclaw spat. "You are dead." Kaladin reminded him, not looking up. Yes, he really needed to stop summoning the moody ones. "You left something behind in life just like everyone else here. Some great destiny or something that you just have to get back. Well, get it all out of your system now, this is likely to be one of last times your get to be in the land of the living for a long while." "I was killed by my own son." The wildclaw hissed. "And everything was going so beautifully too. He killed me and stole my ring-" "And all your riches, I get it." Kalading rolled his eyes, there were all the same. "No! That ring was special. It was no ordinary ring." The wildclaw said, beginning to grow desperate. They always grew desperate, like having a grasp at life again made them mad. "A ring." Kaladin repeated, his interest sparked. Being a necromancer was not all it was cut out to be, but sometimes it had its perks. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38893384] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/388934/38893384_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "You want me to do what?" Ganya asked, turning away from the cherry blossom tree she was attending. "I need you to help me track down the other ring, and I need you to be its keeper." Nymph repeated, trying to keep calm. Time was of the essence, but she didn't want to overwhelm her naturally anxious friend by piling on responsibility without her agreement. "Why can't you do it?" Ganya asked, turning away and focusing on the small stream bubbling a short ways away. "Because despite all the different stories I've heard about this ring, one fact remains the same. No dragon can hold both rings for long, otherwise they get driven to madness." Nymph explained. "I need someone I trust to take care of the other." "I'll do it." Ganya agreed. "Are you sure? You do realize how valuable this ring is, how important it is to keep it safe?" Nymph asked, wanting to make sure her friend completely understood. "That's why I said I'd do it." Ganya said, turning to face her friend again. Her eyes were alight with determination. "I can defend myself if the need be. You're my best friend, I want to help." "Thank you." Nymph said with a small smile. "Now we just need to find it..." [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] "There he is." Fabian's voice hissed in Kaladin's ear. He had decided to hold the wildclaw's essence until he found what he needed. "Now kill him." "Oh shush." Kaladin whispered into the jar, unscrewing the lid and releasing Fabian again. He was glad to be rid of him. Focusing his attention on the wildclaw walking through Windkeep Tower's marketplace, he sauntered up, donning his most charming smile. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37997970] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=37997970&skin=0&apparel=658,10375&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Excuse me good sir, would you like to see a magic trick? The circus will be opening soon, and I'd love to give people a taste of the experience." Kaladin asked the wildclaw. When his eyes met Gryffin's, he felt a shiver. it was strange, meeting eyes with someone and knowing they were a killer. Though, judging by Fabian's attitude, it was entirely possible it was justified. Kaladin wasn't one to judge. "Yeah, sure, why not?" Gryffin said with a smile. Kaladin grinned, and held out a rose. While Gryffin was distracted with the magic, Kaladin managed to worm the ring off of Gryffin's finger, transforming one of the rose petals into a decoy to cover his tracks. It was a simple spell, one that would wear off before the say was out. Having received his prize, Kaladin made a hasty retreat. Once he was in the safety of his own quarters, he took the ring out of his pocket to admire it. It had a large crack down the middle, but when he slipped it onto his finger, it began to glow for a second. Fabian had been right, this was no ordinary ring, and now it was Kaladin's. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/41#post_35881755]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- After the busyness of my first two weeks of school, I finally am back! I won't be able to update as frequently anymore (especially now that I have a few other stories I'm working on, one of which is a Flight Rising story, another being a completely none flight rising story for the first time in like a billion years) but I plan to write a Windkeep Tower at least once a week. On the topic of a second Flight Rising story, I know some of you are already on the pinglist for this, but I have a [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2406323]Timelocke challenge[/url] that I have gotten back into writing after a few changes. This update is actually a sort of bonus chapter that leads into it and gives some background as a bonus bit of info for people who read both Windkeep and Lost Time. Also, I wrote it because I wanted to explore a bit more of Nymph's other side of life, or what she does when she's not being a warrior and why she spends so much time in the Sea of a Thousand Currents. It's not just because her husband is a sea captain...

Chapter 72: No Ordinary Ring

27871527_350.png

38553575_350.png

Nymph jolted awake, briefly forgetting she was below the deck of her husband's boat. Beside her Colm shifted but didn't wake up. Nymph took a moment to catch her breath again, letting the gentle rocking of the ship comfort her. She focused on the scent of salt in the air, letting reality wash over her again once more.

It was then that Nymph caught sight of it. A glow emanated from her ruby ring, casting a warm red light around the cabin. Her birthright was calling again. She wondered who it would be this time. Casting one last glance at Colm, who was snoring and had now sprawled himself across her empty side of the bed. With a smile, she made her way up to the deck. There, she stared out over the vast Sea of a Thousand Currents. They were docked near two stone spires rising high above the water. Most would assume it to just that - sharp rocks just like so many others breaking the surface of the water, but Nymph knew differently. Now, who was it she needed to send through the gate now?

But they were alone on the water. No ships could be seen anywhere near them. The sea was as still as glass, reflecting the moon and stars above. Nymph was alone. Suddenly, she felt the panic course through her again, but this time, in her wakefulness, she realized it was not originating from her chest, but from the ring on her finger. This wasn't a pull to open the gate, there was a message, and it was a message of danger.

She closed her eyes and she began to hum a song. As the notes filled the air and the song filled her heart, a vision appeared in her mind's eye. A vast island, no land visible anywhere in sight. It was alone in the ocean, great and hulking. Nymph knew it well, and seeing it sent a rush of homesickness, though she had never set foot on the island herself. Her ancestors had hailed from it, having fled some unknown terror. Now she shared a connection with it, through the rings, and it was reaching out to her.

Danger! The message filled Nymph to the very core, and in that moment she became the message. The second ring! it is in danger!

The second ring! It had been a legend, a family story, about how there had been a second ruby ring that also held a connection to the island, but nobody seemed to know where it had gone. Everyone Nymph had asked had given her a different story. She had thought it to be a myth, a glimmer of hope that her family was not the only who held the blood of the island, but it appeared it was real, and in danger. If something like that got into the wrong hands- well she hated to think.

She needed to return to Windkeep Tower as soon as she could, and find a way to find the second ring and keep it safe.

Deep beneath the theatre of Windkeep Tower, Kaladin paced in his workshop. His circus was coming together nicely. He now had three live acts, and he could easily fill the spaces with his abilities until he found more dragons to join him. It was sure to be a success. So many dragon came and went to Windkeep Tower as it was, a little extra entertainment was sure to be a hit.

Of course, he needed to summon the extra acts before he put them on, and to do that, he needed to make the right connections. That's why he was down here, it was the best places to hear the voices. if he could hear a voice, it was easier to pull a real dragon up, rather than some undead monstrosity. By habit, he ran the voices through his head like threads, slowly narrowing them down, letting go of weaker or less interesting threads until only one remained. He latched on to the once voice, pulling it in. He didn't know why he chose this specific voice, maybe it was the way it complained about being wronged. Kaladin too had been wronged by fate.

Soon, a wildclaw began to take shape in the room. Kaladin could instantly sense it's anger and he wondered why he was doing this, but summoning the dead always calmed his nerves. Soon the form solidified, and the spirit was standing before him.

"Who are you?" The wildclaw demanded angrily.

"That is none of your concern." Kaladin sighed, going over to his desk and riffling through his notes. He really needed to stop doing this whenever he was bored. It was going to come back to bite him sooner or later, especially if he kept summoning the angry ones.

"Don't you know who I am?" The wildclaw spat.

"You are dead." Kaladin reminded him, not looking up. Yes, he really needed to stop summoning the moody ones. "You left something behind in life just like everyone else here. Some great destiny or something that you just have to get back. Well, get it all out of your system now, this is likely to be one of last times your get to be in the land of the living for a long while."

"I was killed by my own son." The wildclaw hissed. "And everything was going so beautifully too. He killed me and stole my ring-"

"And all your riches, I get it." Kalading rolled his eyes, there were all the same.

"No! That ring was special. It was no ordinary ring." The wildclaw said, beginning to grow desperate. They always grew desperate, like having a grasp at life again made them mad.

"A ring." Kaladin repeated, his interest sparked. Being a necromancer was not all it was cut out to be, but sometimes it had its perks.

"You want me to do what?" Ganya asked, turning away from the cherry blossom tree she was attending.

"I need you to help me track down the other ring, and I need you to be its keeper." Nymph repeated, trying to keep calm. Time was of the essence, but she didn't want to overwhelm her naturally anxious friend by piling on responsibility without her agreement.

"Why can't you do it?" Ganya asked, turning away and focusing on the small stream bubbling a short ways away.

"Because despite all the different stories I've heard about this ring, one fact remains the same. No dragon can hold both rings for long, otherwise they get driven to madness." Nymph explained. "I need someone I trust to take care of the other."

"I'll do it." Ganya agreed.

"Are you sure? You do realize how valuable this ring is, how important it is to keep it safe?" Nymph asked, wanting to make sure her friend completely understood.

"That's why I said I'd do it." Ganya said, turning to face her friend again. Her eyes were alight with determination. "I can defend myself if the need be. You're my best friend, I want to help."

"Thank you." Nymph said with a small smile. "Now we just need to find it..."
divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

"There he is." Fabian's voice hissed in Kaladin's ear. He had decided to hold the wildclaw's essence until he found what he needed. "Now kill him."

"Oh shush." Kaladin whispered into the jar, unscrewing the lid and releasing Fabian again. He was glad to be rid of him. Focusing his attention on the wildclaw walking through Windkeep Tower's marketplace, he sauntered up, donning his most charming smile.

"Excuse me good sir, would you like to see a magic trick? The circus will be opening soon, and I'd love to give people a taste of the experience." Kaladin asked the wildclaw. When his eyes met Gryffin's, he felt a shiver. it was strange, meeting eyes with someone and knowing they were a killer. Though, judging by Fabian's attitude, it was entirely possible it was justified. Kaladin wasn't one to judge.

"Yeah, sure, why not?" Gryffin said with a smile. Kaladin grinned, and held out a rose. While Gryffin was distracted with the magic, Kaladin managed to worm the ring off of Gryffin's finger, transforming one of the rose petals into a decoy to cover his tracks. It was a simple spell, one that would wear off before the say was out.

Having received his prize, Kaladin made a hasty retreat. Once he was in the safety of his own quarters, he took the ring out of his pocket to admire it. It had a large crack down the middle, but when he slipped it onto his finger, it began to glow for a second. Fabian had been right, this was no ordinary ring, and now it was Kaladin's.

After the busyness of my first two weeks of school, I finally am back! I won't be able to update as frequently anymore (especially now that I have a few other stories I'm working on, one of which is a Flight Rising story, another being a completely none flight rising story for the first time in like a billion years) but I plan to write a Windkeep Tower at least once a week.

On the topic of a second Flight Rising story, I know some of you are already on the pinglist for this, but I have a Timelocke challenge that I have gotten back into writing after a few changes. This update is actually a sort of bonus chapter that leads into it and gives some background as a bonus bit of info for people who read both Windkeep and Lost Time. Also, I wrote it because I wanted to explore a bit more of Nymph's other side of life, or what she does when she's not being a warrior and why she spends so much time in the Sea of a Thousand Currents. It's not just because her husband is a sea captain...
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall Oh boy, oh boy, now we're getting more action! It was fun to see some new characters (Colm's outfit is lovely!), and I really liked the meeting between Kaladin and Fabian, how tense it was -- and the dialogue was soooo good. I really liked this bit: They always grew desperate, like having a grasp at life again made them mad.

Also that meeting with Gryffin at the end. The way Nymph described the rings reminded me of LotR -- can't wait to see where this goes!
@Petall Oh boy, oh boy, now we're getting more action! It was fun to see some new characters (Colm's outfit is lovely!), and I really liked the meeting between Kaladin and Fabian, how tense it was -- and the dialogue was soooo good. I really liked this bit: They always grew desperate, like having a grasp at life again made them mad.

Also that meeting with Gryffin at the end. The way Nymph described the rings reminded me of LotR -- can't wait to see where this goes!
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Petall AHHHHHhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHH I promise I’ll catch up with the last arc, but I had to read this one. Ahhhghhhhhhhhg
@Petall AHHHHHhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHH I promise I’ll catch up with the last arc, but I had to read this one. Ahhhghhhhhhhhg
@Disillusionist

I'm glad you like Colm's outfit! I couldn't resist giving him that hair, despite what a serious dragon he is. I was also glad to have the chance to show a bit of Kaladin's secret work.

I did realize the parallel to LotR and I almost made the chapter title a reference to the series, but I couldn't think of one that fit well enough as I was writing.

@CleverDual

I'm so glad you like it! Did I do a good job with Fabian and Gryffin???
@Disillusionist

I'm glad you like Colm's outfit! I couldn't resist giving him that hair, despite what a serious dragon he is. I was also glad to have the chance to show a bit of Kaladin's secret work.

I did realize the parallel to LotR and I almost made the chapter title a reference to the series, but I couldn't think of one that fit well enough as I was writing.

@CleverDual

I'm so glad you like it! Did I do a good job with Fabian and Gryffin???
@Petall YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
@Petall YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
WE GOT ZOMBIES, FOLKS
WE GOT ZOMBIES, FOLKS
SEwVSoU.png ______phee | she/they | +2 fr time | art shop | hatchery | clan directory______ 1cnGog5.png
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/41#post_35379654]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Interlude 2: Dremasul and Draxxor - 'Til Death Do Us Part[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28254965] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=9&bodygene=10&breed=10&element=9&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=10&tertgene=10&winggene=11&wings=34&auth=b279245f5d208e39e0ed68d62db48cfcfd7e15f7&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/url][/center] [i]"Good morning, Dremasul."[/i] The voice awoke the tiny hatchling from his slumber. He was trapped in something he didn't understand. He couldn't breathe, but he didn't seem to need to. He could feel the liquid around him, only just barely separating him from the walls of whatever contained him, and he was reluctant to open his eyes. He kicked, and he felt his legs hit the wall. There was a crack. [i]"It's time for you to awake."[/i] The voice told him once again. Dremasul recognized it now. It was Idwallon, the ridgeback he had met in the afterlife. He had offered him a second chance of life, and Dremasul had taken it. Which must mean- Dremasul kicked again, this time with more fervor. He had to get out of here. With one final push, he burst out of the eggshell containing him, and he tumbled onto the ground from where it hovered above the nest. His parents looked down at him, though Dremasul didn't recognize them. He still had all his memories from his previous life, and it was weird to once again have the weakness and ability of a hatchling. [i]"What happened to the hatchling you put me in?"[/i] Dremasul demanded of Idwallon as he watched his siblings crawl around, exploring their new world. His scales were not the ones he had before, they were patterned differently, and held different colours. [i]"He would have been stillborn. Thanks to you, his parents will not feel the heartbreak of losing a child. Now, enough chit chat, you have work to do."[/i] Came the silky response, and in that moment, Dremasul felt he was going to be sick. The task before him was not a pleasant one. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28306331] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/283064/28306331_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [i]I'm lost! I can't believe I'm freaking lost![/i] Draxxor thought bitterly to herself as she stared at the glowing mushrooms and tangled forest that she was certain she had passed several times already. How many times had she made this journey to visit her brother? [i]I knew that spiral was shifty! I shouldn't have let myself get so distracted! Just because I saw a glimmer of genuineness in him doesn't mean he was being genuine in that moment! How could I be so foolish![/i] Draxxor cursed herself again. One would think having the ability to read souls would make it easy to figure out who one could trust, but it was frustratingly complex. Dragons were rarely black and white in their intentions, as they had been in the hatchling stories she had grown up on. It was easy to misinterpret what was meant for the situation at hand and what was just background information. Draxxor was just about to stop and rest for the night when she caught sight of something dark moving through the trees. Draxxor narrowed her eyes. It had looked to be draconic in shape, but she got no soul reading off of it. It must have been a trick of the light. The Tangled Wood was known to distort like that. Still, Draxxor's curiosity was not sated. She crept forward, trying to catch a glimpse of the strange figure she had seen. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28254965] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/282550/28254965_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Tracking the figure led her to a clearing. He seemed to be shaped like a wildclaw, but he was the most mysterious dragon she had ever seen. She assumed he would look ordinary to most dragons, but from what she could tell, he shouldn't be alive. She couldn't read anything from him, not a spark or life or the slightest hint of a soul. It unnerved her more than she could put into words, but she was not repelled. In fact, she felt nothing but curiosity. "Excuse me, but if you don't mind me asking, are you following me?" The wildclaw asked, a smile cracking on his shrouded face. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] "So, this is where you live?" Dremasul asked, eyeing the crowded alleyway. It seemed to be filled with dragons that wished to not be seen. They scurried from shadow to shadow, darting glances of mistrust at those around them. However, despite the wild energy of the place, it appeared strangely non-violent. He had never seen a place like it. "This is a part of Clan Yonder run by a different queen." Draxxor explained. "Anyone can stay here, no questions asked, regardless of their past. The only requirement is that they follow the rules of the street. Break a rule, and death will surely follow." "That doesn't seem like any way to live." Dramasul scoffed, immediately feeling a surge of guilt. he was not one to talk. He belonged in a place like this, and he would belong there even more so after he completed the talk Idwallon had given him. Of course, completing the task could very well be breaking one of the rules, he'd just have to make sure he did it outside of this street. "Some dragons don't have a choice, especially after the rebellion. Some just need a place to crash where they will be safe." Draxxor shrugged. "And what are you doing here?" Draxxor stared at him levelly, as though she was trying to stare into him and work out if he was serious. She gave him that look often, but he could never work out what it meant. Eventually, she gave up, as she always did, clearly frustrated by something. “Clan Yonder has known much heartbreak. Before this street came to be, we were ruled by a tyrant who overthrew Queen Fenn and lead the clan with an iron fist. We may be at peace here, but I want to know if anyone has the slightest intention of hurting my clan and family.” Draxxor said finally. “But how would you know?” Dremasul asked, tilting his head. There was something she wasn’t telling him. “I’m good at reading others.” Was all she said. “Here, let me introduce you to my brother.” At first, Dremasul thought she was simply changing the subject, but that as when he caught sight of a large guardian ambling towards the two of them. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28285853] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/282859/28285853_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] The moment Dremasul met the blood-red eyes of the guardian, he felt a jolt through him like a bolt of electricity. It was him. It couldn’t be, but it was. He had found him. “Draxxor, who is this?” The guardian growled, not taking his eyes off of Dremasul. He wasn’t even blinking. He knew too. “This is Dremasul! I met him in the Tangled Wood.” Draxxor explained. “Dremasul, this is my brother Dakota. He may not look like my brother, my parents were given his egg to look after not long before my clutch was laid. He’s been looking out for me ever since!” “Draxxor, you should stay away from this dragon. He’s dangerous.” Dakota growled. He still hadn’t blinked. Seriously, how long could this guy go without blinking? Dremasul tried to match his gaze but he was terrified. He had finally met his match and he was terrified. “You think everyone is dangerous, Dakota! I may be your charge, but I am perfectly capable of looking after myself!” Draxxor scoffed. “Dremasul is my friend and you will make him welcome!” “Yes, I will.” Dakota said, raising his eyebrows at Dremasul. And in that moment, Dremasul realized he had to stick around. There had been conditions to his return to life. Idwallon had put a price on his head. Dremasul had half his life, and to earn the other half, he had to find the dragon who Idwallon had also granted a half life to and kill him. Dakota was the other half, and neither could be fully alive until the other had been disposed of. This would certainly make things complicated with his new friendship with Draxxor. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] "You didn't tell me your family line was diseased!" Draxxor shouted. "These are things I need to know [i]before[/i] we have a nest! Not after!" "I didn't know this would happen! You have to believe me!" Dremasul was trying to keep his voice level and calm but he was more scared than he had ever been in his life. What was he thinking, trying to avoid his destiny and have a normal life? A stalemate had been drawn between him and Dakota. Neither was willing to hurt Draxxor by killing someone she loved. Dremasul had almost believed he could live like that. That was, until his children hatched deathly ill. He supposed they were only three quarters alive, and that missing quarter could very well kill them. "You must have known something would happen!" Draxxor shot back. "Now our children are off with some stranger going to some bizarre doctor in Shadow and I don't know if I'm ever going to see them again! I've had enough of you! get out!" "Draxxor-" Dremasul wanted to hold her close, to share her pain. It was clear she had kept herself together long enough to see the hathclings off safely without scaring them and now she was spiraling. He wanted to pull her out of the spiral, and to share his pain with her. Maybe, if they carried to together- "No. Get out! I don't want you in my life! There's always been something off about you! You don't have a soul!" Draxxor spat. Dremasul froze. How could she possibly know? Fear overcame him and his courage failed him. He ran out into the street and down an alleyway. He stopped to catch his breath. He had to go back, didn't he? He could explain everything, maybe he could find a way around the curse that bound his tongue. He would be there for her and he would make things right. Lifting his head, he turned to leave, only to see Dakota blocking the alleyway. "My sister isn't here to protect you now, and from what I've heard, she won't want to." Dakota growled. He was approaching slowly, his claws glinting in the lamplight. He took up the whole alley, there was no way Dremasul could get around him, and he was several times bigger than him. Dremasul was a dead dragon. Suddenly, red filled his vision and he sprung into the air. What followed was a flurry of teeth and claws and scaled, and his vision was filled with white and red. Then, as suddenly as it started, it stopped. Dakota lay slumped on the cobblestones, dead. Dremasul backed away, panting heavily. How had he actually won? He stared down at the blood on his claws. He had killed a dragon. He felt sick and he immediately threw up. He hadn't wanted to kill Dakota. When he jumped, he had aimed to run. What had happened to him? As he raised his head and wiped the vomit from his mouth, he looked up into the horrified eyes of his wife. "You monster!" Draxxor shrieked, and her cries alerted the attention of the other residents of the street. Dremasul had broken a rule of the street, and he was in big trouble. Why didn't he feel any different? Had his other half of his soul returned? Shouldn't he feel stronger? Suddenly, he realized that wasn't the most important thing right now. Right now he had to get out of here. He turned and he ran, and he didn't look back. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] So Idwallon had lied, surprise, surprise. Turns out Dakota was only a test. Take two souls, split them in half, pit them against each other, the winner would make the best hitman. Now Idwallon held his other half captive, as well as the souls of his two dead sons in order to ensure his co-operation. Every so often, Dremasul would get a list from Idwallon. His task? Kill the dragons on the list and bring their souls back to Idwallon for his collection. Dremasul had joined up with a black market in order to take up a job as an assassin to make things easier. He hated this existence, but Id held too much over his head. He knew to much, and he knew how to hit Dremasul where it hurt. Maybe staying in Clan Yonder was foolish. It was too close to Draxxor and she hated his guts, for a very good reason. But Dremasul was selfish, and he did not want to be far from his daughter, Epidemic. Perhaps someday he could explain everything to Draxxor, and he could make things right. However, deep in his heart, Dremasul knew that was wishful thinking, even for him. He must be resigned to his fate. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/42#post_35929551]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- Now you know Dremasul's dark past. Hey all, it's been a while! (a month and a day to be exact). School has been busier than I expected, not because of assignments and schoolwork, but more because I've been getting more involved in things in the evenings. I've discovered going out and doing things and being part of clubs and having things to do in the evenings does wonders for my stress and energy levels as an extrovert. I want to get back into posting somewhat regularly though, I have some great ideas for this next arc. Actually funny story I originally started writing this update the first day of Starfall, but I didn't have the energy to finish it so I stuck it in a Google Doc with the plan of finishing it and starting the new arc with a Starfall update but, well, you know that didn't end up happening. I've had to shift a couple of ideas for the arc to make it work (timewise it will be taking place about a year after my previous update, almost 2 years after the battle against Daisy Mae) but it should be coming relatively soon! I'll try not to let it be a month from now!

Interlude 2: Dremasul and Draxxor - 'Til Death Do Us Part

dragon?age=0&body=9&bodygene=10&breed=10&element=9&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=10&tertgene=10&winggene=11&wings=34&auth=b279245f5d208e39e0ed68d62db48cfcfd7e15f7&dummyext=prev.png

"Good morning, Dremasul." The voice awoke the tiny hatchling from his slumber. He was trapped in something he didn't understand. He couldn't breathe, but he didn't seem to need to. He could feel the liquid around him, only just barely separating him from the walls of whatever contained him, and he was reluctant to open his eyes. He kicked, and he felt his legs hit the wall. There was a crack.

"It's time for you to awake." The voice told him once again. Dremasul recognized it now. It was Idwallon, the ridgeback he had met in the afterlife. He had offered him a second chance of life, and Dremasul had taken it. Which must mean-

Dremasul kicked again, this time with more fervor. He had to get out of here. With one final push, he burst out of the eggshell containing him, and he tumbled onto the ground from where it hovered above the nest. His parents looked down at him, though Dremasul didn't recognize them. He still had all his memories from his previous life, and it was weird to once again have the weakness and ability of a hatchling.

"What happened to the hatchling you put me in?" Dremasul demanded of Idwallon as he watched his siblings crawl around, exploring their new world. His scales were not the ones he had before, they were patterned differently, and held different colours.

"He would have been stillborn. Thanks to you, his parents will not feel the heartbreak of losing a child. Now, enough chit chat, you have work to do." Came the silky response, and in that moment, Dremasul felt he was going to be sick. The task before him was not a pleasant one.

I'm lost! I can't believe I'm freaking lost! Draxxor thought bitterly to herself as she stared at the glowing mushrooms and tangled forest that she was certain she had passed several times already. How many times had she made this journey to visit her brother?

I knew that spiral was shifty! I shouldn't have let myself get so distracted! Just because I saw a glimmer of genuineness in him doesn't mean he was being genuine in that moment! How could I be so foolish! Draxxor cursed herself again. One would think having the ability to read souls would make it easy to figure out who one could trust, but it was frustratingly complex. Dragons were rarely black and white in their intentions, as they had been in the hatchling stories she had grown up on. It was easy to misinterpret what was meant for the situation at hand and what was just background information.

Draxxor was just about to stop and rest for the night when she caught sight of something dark moving through the trees. Draxxor narrowed her eyes. It had looked to be draconic in shape, but she got no soul reading off of it. It must have been a trick of the light. The Tangled Wood was known to distort like that. Still, Draxxor's curiosity was not sated. She crept forward, trying to catch a glimpse of the strange figure she had seen.

Tracking the figure led her to a clearing. He seemed to be shaped like a wildclaw, but he was the most mysterious dragon she had ever seen. She assumed he would look ordinary to most dragons, but from what she could tell, he shouldn't be alive. She couldn't read anything from him, not a spark or life or the slightest hint of a soul. It unnerved her more than she could put into words, but she was not repelled. In fact, she felt nothing but curiosity.

"Excuse me, but if you don't mind me asking, are you following me?" The wildclaw asked, a smile cracking on his shrouded face.

"So, this is where you live?" Dremasul asked, eyeing the crowded alleyway. It seemed to be filled with dragons that wished to not be seen. They scurried from shadow to shadow, darting glances of mistrust at those around them. However, despite the wild energy of the place, it appeared strangely non-violent. He had never seen a place like it.

"This is a part of Clan Yonder run by a different queen." Draxxor explained. "Anyone can stay here, no questions asked, regardless of their past. The only requirement is that they follow the rules of the street. Break a rule, and death will surely follow."

"That doesn't seem like any way to live." Dramasul scoffed, immediately feeling a surge of guilt. he was not one to talk. He belonged in a place like this, and he would belong there even more so after he completed the talk Idwallon had given him. Of course, completing the task could very well be breaking one of the rules, he'd just have to make sure he did it outside of this street.

"Some dragons don't have a choice, especially after the rebellion. Some just need a place to crash where they will be safe." Draxxor shrugged.

"And what are you doing here?"

Draxxor stared at him levelly, as though she was trying to stare into him and work out if he was serious. She gave him that look often, but he could never work out what it meant. Eventually, she gave up, as she always did, clearly frustrated by something.

“Clan Yonder has known much heartbreak. Before this street came to be, we were ruled by a tyrant who overthrew Queen Fenn and lead the clan with an iron fist. We may be at peace here, but I want to know if anyone has the slightest intention of hurting my clan and family.” Draxxor said finally.

“But how would you know?” Dremasul asked, tilting his head. There was something she wasn’t telling him.

“I’m good at reading others.” Was all she said. “Here, let me introduce you to my brother.”

At first, Dremasul thought she was simply changing the subject, but that as when he caught sight of a large guardian ambling towards the two of them.

The moment Dremasul met the blood-red eyes of the guardian, he felt a jolt through him like a bolt of electricity. It was him. It couldn’t be, but it was. He had found him.

“Draxxor, who is this?” The guardian growled, not taking his eyes off of Dremasul. He wasn’t even blinking. He knew too.

“This is Dremasul! I met him in the Tangled Wood.” Draxxor explained. “Dremasul, this is my brother Dakota. He may not look like my brother, my parents were given his egg to look after not long before my clutch was laid. He’s been looking out for me ever since!”

“Draxxor, you should stay away from this dragon. He’s dangerous.” Dakota growled. He still hadn’t blinked. Seriously, how long could this guy go without blinking? Dremasul tried to match his gaze but he was terrified. He had finally met his match and he was terrified.

“You think everyone is dangerous, Dakota! I may be your charge, but I am perfectly capable of looking after myself!” Draxxor scoffed. “Dremasul is my friend and you will make him welcome!”

“Yes, I will.” Dakota said, raising his eyebrows at Dremasul. And in that moment, Dremasul realized he had to stick around.

There had been conditions to his return to life. Idwallon had put a price on his head. Dremasul had half his life, and to earn the other half, he had to find the dragon who Idwallon had also granted a half life to and kill him. Dakota was the other half, and neither could be fully alive until the other had been disposed of. This would certainly make things complicated with his new friendship with Draxxor.

"You didn't tell me your family line was diseased!" Draxxor shouted. "These are things I need to know before we have a nest! Not after!"

"I didn't know this would happen! You have to believe me!" Dremasul was trying to keep his voice level and calm but he was more scared than he had ever been in his life. What was he thinking, trying to avoid his destiny and have a normal life?

A stalemate had been drawn between him and Dakota. Neither was willing to hurt Draxxor by killing someone she loved. Dremasul had almost believed he could live like that. That was, until his children hatched deathly ill. He supposed they were only three quarters alive, and that missing quarter could very well kill them.

"You must have known something would happen!" Draxxor shot back. "Now our children are off with some stranger going to some bizarre doctor in Shadow and I don't know if I'm ever going to see them again! I've had enough of you! get out!"

"Draxxor-" Dremasul wanted to hold her close, to share her pain. It was clear she had kept herself together long enough to see the hathclings off safely without scaring them and now she was spiraling. He wanted to pull her out of the spiral, and to share his pain with her. Maybe, if they carried to together-

"No. Get out! I don't want you in my life! There's always been something off about you! You don't have a soul!" Draxxor spat.

Dremasul froze. How could she possibly know? Fear overcame him and his courage failed him. He ran out into the street and down an alleyway. He stopped to catch his breath. He had to go back, didn't he? He could explain everything, maybe he could find a way around the curse that bound his tongue. He would be there for her and he would make things right. Lifting his head, he turned to leave, only to see Dakota blocking the alleyway.

"My sister isn't here to protect you now, and from what I've heard, she won't want to." Dakota growled. He was approaching slowly, his claws glinting in the lamplight. He took up the whole alley, there was no way Dremasul could get around him, and he was several times bigger than him. Dremasul was a dead dragon.

Suddenly, red filled his vision and he sprung into the air. What followed was a flurry of teeth and claws and scaled, and his vision was filled with white and red. Then, as suddenly as it started, it stopped. Dakota lay slumped on the cobblestones, dead. Dremasul backed away, panting heavily. How had he actually won?

He stared down at the blood on his claws. He had killed a dragon. He felt sick and he immediately threw up. He hadn't wanted to kill Dakota. When he jumped, he had aimed to run. What had happened to him? As he raised his head and wiped the vomit from his mouth, he looked up into the horrified eyes of his wife.

"You monster!" Draxxor shrieked, and her cries alerted the attention of the other residents of the street. Dremasul had broken a rule of the street, and he was in big trouble. Why didn't he feel any different? Had his other half of his soul returned? Shouldn't he feel stronger? Suddenly, he realized that wasn't the most important thing right now. Right now he had to get out of here. He turned and he ran, and he didn't look back.

So Idwallon had lied, surprise, surprise. Turns out Dakota was only a test. Take two souls, split them in half, pit them against each other, the winner would make the best hitman. Now Idwallon held his other half captive, as well as the souls of his two dead sons in order to ensure his co-operation.

Every so often, Dremasul would get a list from Idwallon. His task? Kill the dragons on the list and bring their souls back to Idwallon for his collection. Dremasul had joined up with a black market in order to take up a job as an assassin to make things easier. He hated this existence, but Id held too much over his head. He knew to much, and he knew how to hit Dremasul where it hurt.

Maybe staying in Clan Yonder was foolish. It was too close to Draxxor and she hated his guts, for a very good reason. But Dremasul was selfish, and he did not want to be far from his daughter, Epidemic. Perhaps someday he could explain everything to Draxxor, and he could make things right. However, deep in his heart, Dremasul knew that was wishful thinking, even for him. He must be resigned to his fate.

Now you know Dremasul's dark past.

Hey all, it's been a while! (a month and a day to be exact). School has been busier than I expected, not because of assignments and schoolwork, but more because I've been getting more involved in things in the evenings. I've discovered going out and doing things and being part of clubs and having things to do in the evenings does wonders for my stress and energy levels as an extrovert. I want to get back into posting somewhat regularly though, I have some great ideas for this next arc.

Actually funny story I originally started writing this update the first day of Starfall, but I didn't have the energy to finish it so I stuck it in a Google Doc with the plan of finishing it and starting the new arc with a Starfall update but, well, you know that didn't end up happening. I've had to shift a couple of ideas for the arc to make it work (timewise it will be taking place about a year after my previous update, almost 2 years after the battle against Daisy Mae) but it should be coming relatively soon! I'll try not to let it be a month from now!
@Petall Good to see you again! And your lovely dragons, too. <3 Whoa, Dremasul had interesting beginnings. I really liked that scene with him hatching, remembering his previous life, and learning the hatchling whose body he inhabited would've been stillborn. I also liked how you explained the limits of Draxxor's ability. Not too overpowered, with logical downsides.

Awww, Dakota's been exalted. He was kind of pretty, too. Wow, this story escalated pretty quickly and it was soooooo good! Are we going to find out who and what Idwallon is, and what his objectives are? He sounds like he could give both Mercer and Quartz a run for their money.

(Also I feel ya; I've also got a lot of unfinished lore that's been chilling for months now. XD Feels like the stars have to align or something for us to get ideas and then actually start writing them!)
@Petall Good to see you again! And your lovely dragons, too. <3 Whoa, Dremasul had interesting beginnings. I really liked that scene with him hatching, remembering his previous life, and learning the hatchling whose body he inhabited would've been stillborn. I also liked how you explained the limits of Draxxor's ability. Not too overpowered, with logical downsides.

Awww, Dakota's been exalted. He was kind of pretty, too. Wow, this story escalated pretty quickly and it was soooooo good! Are we going to find out who and what Idwallon is, and what his objectives are? He sounds like he could give both Mercer and Quartz a run for their money.

(Also I feel ya; I've also got a lot of unfinished lore that's been chilling for months now. XD Feels like the stars have to align or something for us to get ideas and then actually start writing them!)
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! This is a story I've been wanting to write for a long time! Draxxor and Dremasul have always been two of my favourite dragons lore-wise!

Idwallon actually belongs to someone else (I mentioned him in the first chapter Dremasul was introduced, Chapter 18 I think) so I can't really do much with him, but he's pivotal to Dremasul's lore so I had to mention him and the whole situation. Unfortunately that means I won't be able to explore him more in my lore. Objectives wise, he was just a creepy ridgeback who liked collecting souls and ended up taking over the clan he was a part of. (At that point Dremasul had gone to join him and was working as his personal executor, hence why Dremasul was coming from the Starfall Isles when he met Pyrite, Plagueheart and Pennar.)

Strangely enough however, when Dremasul was working with the black market, he was serving under Mercer, or at least he worked in an area close to Mercer, though he was too tied up with Id to be ensnared by Mercer as well and get too caught up into his side of things.

(Lore can be tough sometimes!)
@Disillusionist

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! This is a story I've been wanting to write for a long time! Draxxor and Dremasul have always been two of my favourite dragons lore-wise!

Idwallon actually belongs to someone else (I mentioned him in the first chapter Dremasul was introduced, Chapter 18 I think) so I can't really do much with him, but he's pivotal to Dremasul's lore so I had to mention him and the whole situation. Unfortunately that means I won't be able to explore him more in my lore. Objectives wise, he was just a creepy ridgeback who liked collecting souls and ended up taking over the clan he was a part of. (At that point Dremasul had gone to join him and was working as his personal executor, hence why Dremasul was coming from the Starfall Isles when he met Pyrite, Plagueheart and Pennar.)

Strangely enough however, when Dremasul was working with the black market, he was serving under Mercer, or at least he worked in an area close to Mercer, though he was too tied up with Id to be ensnared by Mercer as well and get too caught up into his side of things.

(Lore can be tough sometimes!)
1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 78 79