Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 78 79
he don't know that mercer's dead, woooooww.
he don't know that mercer's dead, woooooww.
please buy my dragons
r7i0TKR.png
alphabet legacy
challenge
please just send private auctions.
it's a CR with half the hassle,
and with PAs we both get our stuff instantly.
@Petall For such a grim chapter, this had a couple of lines I really found hilarious:

"He's probably on his way now, or will be, as soon as he figures out where we are. Though, considering all my stupid festival donations, it shouldn't be hard."

"You're about as diplomatic and charming as a dead frog."

These two are amazing together. xDDD
@Petall For such a grim chapter, this had a couple of lines I really found hilarious:

"He's probably on his way now, or will be, as soon as he figures out where we are. Though, considering all my stupid festival donations, it shouldn't be hard."

"You're about as diplomatic and charming as a dead frog."

These two are amazing together. xDDD
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillisionist

I'm glad you found them funny! I especially had fun with the dead frog one!

@RiaFire11

Nope! Rhowen never told him!
@Disillisionist

I'm glad you found them funny! I especially had fun with the dead frog one!

@RiaFire11

Nope! Rhowen never told him!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/34#post_34880627]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 62: The Windsinger's Blessing[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42353365] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=42353365&skin=0&apparel=283,424&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42353366] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/423534/42353366_350.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42353367] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/423534/42353367_350.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41173788] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/411738/41173788_350.png[/img][/url][/center] They had finally reached the heart of the Cloudsong. It had taken a week to journey up the tail and now they were in the bug bustling hub that was situated on one of the largest platforms, near the 'head' of the Cloudsong. All four travelers were in awe. There were so many markets and dragons bustling about, flying in the air, singing, laughing, playing. There was so much energy surrounding them, it was hard to know where to look. "Now, we have to remember we're here on an important pilgrimage, and we have to be careful about who we interact with." Rhowen reminded the three siblings. "There may be time to explore more later, but we need to get Rammus his Windsinger's Blessing." "Thank you!" Rammus nodded to Rhowen, but he too was distracted by the sights and smells of the heart of the Windsinger. "Do you know what we are looking for?" Rubbywing asked, falling in step with her brother as he lead the group through the crowds. "No, but I bet it will be at the head. We have to make our way there." Rammus told her. he was getting jittery and jumpy from the excitement and nerves. It took a couple hours to leave the crowds and busyness of the Cloudsong's heart behind. There were stopped by so many friendly dragons who wanted to share a joke or a kind greeting. A couple even tried to sell them good luck charms with promises of safe travels blessed by the Windsinger. Even with a goal in mind, it was hard not to get distracted. When they cleared the crowd, Rubywing couldn't help but gasp. It was stunning, the view below. She had never been so high in her life. She could see over the Windswept Plateau, and on the other side, the Sea of a Thousand Currents in its entirety, bordered by distant shores. It was easy to see why this place was favoured by wind dragons. From up here, it was easy to feel the draw of wanderlust. Ruby began to wonder where she and Rhowen would go from here. Rammus and Runeclaw would obviously return home to Windkeep Tower, but that would not be possible with the bounty on her head. It would probably be too dangerous to stay anywhere in wind. She wondered where else she would be happy to live. How many of these distant shores would she touch? What flight would become her home, allowing the Windswept Plateau to become but a distant memory of her childhood. Her thoughts were broken by Rammus kicking off the ground with a determined look on his face. He fluttered from the last platform onto the finely crafted head of the Windsinger. Ruby, Rammus and Rhowen were unsure whether or not to follow him as he pulled out a small cloth sack and pulled out a handful of cherry blossom petals. He let them go into the air and a breeze quickly picked them up, swirling them around Rammus and then surprisingly back to Ruby and Runeclaw. A strong breeze was felt on their backs, as thought pushing them to join their brother. Rubywing looked back as she let the wind lift up her wings. Rhowen was not getting the same pull. The wind let Rubywing and Runeclaw beside Rammus, and the cherry blossom breeze began to swirl in front of them, getting closer and closer together until a wildclaw could be seen in the center of them. Then another gust blew the petals outward in all directions until the wildclaw could be seen clearly. His face held a similar shape to Rammus's, and his skink spots were almost identical to all three of them. [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/39168660][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=39168660&skin=0&apparel=552,318,1159,21855&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] "Rammus, Runeclaw, Rubywing, it's great to meet you in flesh!" The wildclaw said excitedly. "My name is Orkeck, and I would be your great-grandfather. I left Windkeep Tower before your grandmother hatched, before I even knew Oriel had a nest." "You're Orkeck?!" Rammus's jaw hung open in shock. It was clear whatever he had been expecting, this had not been it. "I am. I figured it should be me, out of all the exalted, to come and see you. It was the least I could do after leaving Oriel in such a way." Orkeck sighed, and Ruby briefly wondered if he had regrets, but whatever heartbreak he felt over Oriel was short-lived on his face. "I've come to receive the Windsinger's blessing." Rammus said, making no more comment on his family. "I know, and I am afraid I can't give it to you." Orkeck explained. "But-" Runeclaw started, prepared to give an angry response, but Orkeck cut him off. "Let me finish. I can't give it to you because you three already have it." Orkeck said. He stopped to marvel at the confusion on the three sibling's expressions before continuing. "I arrived in the Windsinger's service at the exact moment my children began to hatch. As a thank you for my service, the Windsinger sent a gust of wind over the eggs to imbue them with special gifts. Your family line is blessed. Every dragon that descends from Plagueheart and Pennar carries the same blessing." "I don't understand. It that why I have such strong wind powers?" Ruby asked. "That is one reason. Strong elemental magic is a part of it. But you all have special qualities. Plagueheart was gifted with a restless spirit, a need to travel and experience new things. Pennar was given a sense of belonging and community that extends to all dragons. Your mother was gifted with a heart for other dragons that extends all borders, as well as a brave heart that seeks adventure no matter the challenges. Runeclaw, you were given a sense of fun and humor that sometimes expresses itself in taking risks and getting up to mischief. Rammus, your care for others was nurtured by your upbringing in Amberlyn's family, your gift is a desire to see new sights and broaden your worldview. And Ruby, you have a very particular gift for hospitality, which does not necessarily mean being hospitable to others but instead leads to others being hospitable and kind towards you. It was clear you would need some extra protection, though I'm sorry it did not completely shield you from your father." Once Orkeck was done, the three could not find anything to say. A stunned silence fell over the group, broken only by the perpetual breeze around them. When someone finally spoke, it was Rammus. "Why are you telling us all this?" He asked. "So that when you return, you can ease the heartbreak that my leaving caused. I know it left a hole in the family, and I want you to know that even though I was not there physically, there is not a day that goes by where I do not think of you and pray for your wellbeing." Orkeck explained. "Also, danger is coming to Windkeep Tower, and it is important you know that. We exalted cannot usually tell the future, but the word on the wind is that there is a vast army marching towards the Windswept Plateau, and it's destination is Windkeep Tower. You must send warning to your clanmates, and use your gifts to help cease the fighting and bring peace once again to your home." "But how?" Ruby blurted out. She didn't understand, first she was being told to leave Windkeep Tower to be safe from danger and now she was being told to put herself right back into it? "It may not be obvious at first, but each of you have skills you can use to help your clan defend themselves and win this war they are caught in the middle of. Your skills will also help them on the road to recovery afterwards, as the aftermath of any battle is not a pretty one." Orkeck explained sadly. "I know you have just escaped great danger and putting yourself in it again is a great risk, so this is not a choice that can be made for you, but I think your heart is already in wind, and you have talents that can blossom and grow here. Not to mention, you have a family who will love and protect you no matter what, you just need to reveal yourself to them. That is something some dragons search for their whole lives, and never truly find." "You're right. If my mother was brave enough to face Quartz the way she did, I am brave enough to return to the clan my heart loves and face mt father again." Ruby narrowed her eyes. "And this time he won't lay a finger on me." "You will not be going alone. You have your brothers alongside you, and Rhowen. Hold onto him, he is a special one. His powers are important too." Orkeck explained. "Why don't you tell him yourself?" Ruby asked. "He can't see me. Only you can, because you are all windborn." Orkeck explained. "Now you must go, and know that my spirit goes and fights with you." "Wait." Ruby said, and she raced forward to give Orkeck a hug. She was unused to hugs, she was certain the last one she had received was the ones her mother had given her as a hatchling, but it felt good to be close. Rammus ran up to join them, followed by a reluctant Runeclaw. The four stood together for a while, then there was a gust of wind, and the three siblings were all who remained, still locked in a warm embrace. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/35#post_34907441]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- I have been so excited for this update for so long! It was so exciting to be able to bring back Orkeck for a cameo, and to try to ease that hurt in the family. The windsinger's blessing idea has also been kicking around for a while, since these three were born, and I'm glad to bring it to fruition. Also I kind of fell in love with the Cloudsong in this update and lowkey want to have a clan here but I love Windkeep Tower so much, I'll just have to have my dragons visit here more often.

Chapter 62: The Windsinger's Blessing

dragon?did=42353365&skin=0&apparel=283,424&xt=dressing.png

42353366_350.png

42353367_350.png

41173788_350.png

They had finally reached the heart of the Cloudsong. It had taken a week to journey up the tail and now they were in the bug bustling hub that was situated on one of the largest platforms, near the 'head' of the Cloudsong. All four travelers were in awe. There were so many markets and dragons bustling about, flying in the air, singing, laughing, playing. There was so much energy surrounding them, it was hard to know where to look.

"Now, we have to remember we're here on an important pilgrimage, and we have to be careful about who we interact with." Rhowen reminded the three siblings. "There may be time to explore more later, but we need to get Rammus his Windsinger's Blessing."

"Thank you!" Rammus nodded to Rhowen, but he too was distracted by the sights and smells of the heart of the Windsinger.

"Do you know what we are looking for?" Rubbywing asked, falling in step with her brother as he lead the group through the crowds.

"No, but I bet it will be at the head. We have to make our way there." Rammus told her. he was getting jittery and jumpy from the excitement and nerves.

It took a couple hours to leave the crowds and busyness of the Cloudsong's heart behind. There were stopped by so many friendly dragons who wanted to share a joke or a kind greeting. A couple even tried to sell them good luck charms with promises of safe travels blessed by the Windsinger. Even with a goal in mind, it was hard not to get distracted.

When they cleared the crowd, Rubywing couldn't help but gasp. It was stunning, the view below. She had never been so high in her life. She could see over the Windswept Plateau, and on the other side, the Sea of a Thousand Currents in its entirety, bordered by distant shores. It was easy to see why this place was favoured by wind dragons. From up here, it was easy to feel the draw of wanderlust.

Ruby began to wonder where she and Rhowen would go from here. Rammus and Runeclaw would obviously return home to Windkeep Tower, but that would not be possible with the bounty on her head. It would probably be too dangerous to stay anywhere in wind. She wondered where else she would be happy to live. How many of these distant shores would she touch? What flight would become her home, allowing the Windswept Plateau to become but a distant memory of her childhood.

Her thoughts were broken by Rammus kicking off the ground with a determined look on his face. He fluttered from the last platform onto the finely crafted head of the Windsinger. Ruby, Rammus and Rhowen were unsure whether or not to follow him as he pulled out a small cloth sack and pulled out a handful of cherry blossom petals. He let them go into the air and a breeze quickly picked them up, swirling them around Rammus and then surprisingly back to Ruby and Runeclaw. A strong breeze was felt on their backs, as thought pushing them to join their brother. Rubywing looked back as she let the wind lift up her wings. Rhowen was not getting the same pull.

The wind let Rubywing and Runeclaw beside Rammus, and the cherry blossom breeze began to swirl in front of them, getting closer and closer together until a wildclaw could be seen in the center of them. Then another gust blew the petals outward in all directions until the wildclaw could be seen clearly. His face held a similar shape to Rammus's, and his skink spots were almost identical to all three of them.
dragon?did=39168660&skin=0&apparel=552,318,1159,21855&xt=dressing.png

"Rammus, Runeclaw, Rubywing, it's great to meet you in flesh!" The wildclaw said excitedly. "My name is Orkeck, and I would be your great-grandfather. I left Windkeep Tower before your grandmother hatched, before I even knew Oriel had a nest."

"You're Orkeck?!" Rammus's jaw hung open in shock. It was clear whatever he had been expecting, this had not been it.

"I am. I figured it should be me, out of all the exalted, to come and see you. It was the least I could do after leaving Oriel in such a way." Orkeck sighed, and Ruby briefly wondered if he had regrets, but whatever heartbreak he felt over Oriel was short-lived on his face.

"I've come to receive the Windsinger's blessing." Rammus said, making no more comment on his family.

"I know, and I am afraid I can't give it to you." Orkeck explained.

"But-" Runeclaw started, prepared to give an angry response, but Orkeck cut him off.

"Let me finish. I can't give it to you because you three already have it." Orkeck said. He stopped to marvel at the confusion on the three sibling's expressions before continuing. "I arrived in the Windsinger's service at the exact moment my children began to hatch. As a thank you for my service, the Windsinger sent a gust of wind over the eggs to imbue them with special gifts. Your family line is blessed. Every dragon that descends from Plagueheart and Pennar carries the same blessing."

"I don't understand. It that why I have such strong wind powers?" Ruby asked.

"That is one reason. Strong elemental magic is a part of it. But you all have special qualities. Plagueheart was gifted with a restless spirit, a need to travel and experience new things. Pennar was given a sense of belonging and community that extends to all dragons. Your mother was gifted with a heart for other dragons that extends all borders, as well as a brave heart that seeks adventure no matter the challenges. Runeclaw, you were given a sense of fun and humor that sometimes expresses itself in taking risks and getting up to mischief. Rammus, your care for others was nurtured by your upbringing in Amberlyn's family, your gift is a desire to see new sights and broaden your worldview. And Ruby, you have a very particular gift for hospitality, which does not necessarily mean being hospitable to others but instead leads to others being hospitable and kind towards you. It was clear you would need some extra protection, though I'm sorry it did not completely shield you from your father."

Once Orkeck was done, the three could not find anything to say. A stunned silence fell over the group, broken only by the perpetual breeze around them. When someone finally spoke, it was Rammus.

"Why are you telling us all this?" He asked.

"So that when you return, you can ease the heartbreak that my leaving caused. I know it left a hole in the family, and I want you to know that even though I was not there physically, there is not a day that goes by where I do not think of you and pray for your wellbeing." Orkeck explained. "Also, danger is coming to Windkeep Tower, and it is important you know that. We exalted cannot usually tell the future, but the word on the wind is that there is a vast army marching towards the Windswept Plateau, and it's destination is Windkeep Tower. You must send warning to your clanmates, and use your gifts to help cease the fighting and bring peace once again to your home."

"But how?" Ruby blurted out. She didn't understand, first she was being told to leave Windkeep Tower to be safe from danger and now she was being told to put herself right back into it?

"It may not be obvious at first, but each of you have skills you can use to help your clan defend themselves and win this war they are caught in the middle of. Your skills will also help them on the road to recovery afterwards, as the aftermath of any battle is not a pretty one." Orkeck explained sadly. "I know you have just escaped great danger and putting yourself in it again is a great risk, so this is not a choice that can be made for you, but I think your heart is already in wind, and you have talents that can blossom and grow here. Not to mention, you have a family who will love and protect you no matter what, you just need to reveal yourself to them. That is something some dragons search for their whole lives, and never truly find."

"You're right. If my mother was brave enough to face Quartz the way she did, I am brave enough to return to the clan my heart loves and face mt father again." Ruby narrowed her eyes. "And this time he won't lay a finger on me."

"You will not be going alone. You have your brothers alongside you, and Rhowen. Hold onto him, he is a special one. His powers are important too." Orkeck explained.

"Why don't you tell him yourself?" Ruby asked.

"He can't see me. Only you can, because you are all windborn." Orkeck explained. "Now you must go, and know that my spirit goes and fights with you."

"Wait." Ruby said, and she raced forward to give Orkeck a hug. She was unused to hugs, she was certain the last one she had received was the ones her mother had given her as a hatchling, but it felt good to be close. Rammus ran up to join them, followed by a reluctant Runeclaw. The four stood together for a while, then there was a gust of wind, and the three siblings were all who remained, still locked in a warm embrace.

I have been so excited for this update for so long! It was so exciting to be able to bring back Orkeck for a cameo, and to try to ease that hurt in the family. The windsinger's blessing idea has also been kicking around for a while, since these three were born, and I'm glad to bring it to fruition.

Also I kind of fell in love with the Cloudsong in this update and lowkey want to have a clan here but I love Windkeep Tower so much, I'll just have to have my dragons visit here more often.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall That was great! I think you always do a great job describing surroundings -- the colors, sights, and sounds. The exaltation-summoning ritual was also very interesting and lovely to imagine.
@Petall That was great! I think you always do a great job describing surroundings -- the colors, sights, and sounds. The exaltation-summoning ritual was also very interesting and lovely to imagine.
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist

Thank you! It means a lot to hear that!
@Disillusionist

Thank you! It means a lot to hear that!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/35#post_34898127]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 63: A Warning of War[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38414705] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/384148/38414705_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] It was the perfect day to practice music. The sun was shining warmly down on the Windswept Plateau, with a nice cool breeze to stop it from getting too hot. There were only a few clouds in the sky. Once Merry finished his shift helping Sacredscream in the library, he stopped by his suite to grab his guitar and found a nice place overlooking the sea to play. Instantly, he began plucking the notes to a song, and began to sing. He was enjoying the moment so much, he didn't notice the approaching dragons until they were right in front of him. Three wildclaws, swooping down to the ground and skimming the grass with their talons, followed by a manticore running along behind them. They looked exhausted, like they had been flying for a long time. They were coming from the direction of the Reedcleft Ascent. It was then that he noticed them. He didn't know them well, as none of them had stayed at Windkeep Tower long, but it was definitely Pyrite and Plagueheart, followed by a dragon he had seen a couple of times before at the Copper Lotus that he realized must be their daughter. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40036092] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400361/40036092_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40062165] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400622/40062165_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41349508] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=41349508&skin=24908&apparel=18774,23723,21853&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/360.png[/img][/center] They passed over Merry's head and the resulting breezed caused him to tumble over. He turned to see where they were going and saw them turn around the land in front of him. Despite their exhaustion, they all seemed desperate and hurried. "Is there anything I can do to help you?" Merry asked the larger dragons as he picked up his guitar and checked it over for damage. Deciding it to be okay, he slung it over his shoulder. "We need to talk to Fenn, immediately." Plagueheart announced, out of breath. "Is everything alright?" Merry asked, shocked. "I'm afraid not. Great danger is coming to Windkeep Tower. We must be ready." Pyrite said solemnly. "In that case, I'll take you too her right away." Merry said, wondering what danger could be coming to such a peaceful place. "I'll meet up with you all later." Querida said, preparing her wings to fly in another direction. "Tess and I need to have a [i]talk[/i] with Quartz." "If you don't come back by sundown, we'll come after you." Plagueheart told her daughter with narrowed eyes and a voice like acid. "I'm not letting that coatl steal you away again." "Thank you." And with that Querida took off, followed by the manticore. Merry was full of questions. Quartz had been nothing but kind to the clan, why were these dragons so bitter towards him? But time was of the essence, and Merry could not delay asking about information they'd have to rehash to Fenn anyways. "Come this way." Merry said, fluttering upwards. The two wildclaws kicked off and followed close behind him towards the top of Windkeep Tower. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25550650] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/255507/25550650_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25550651] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/255507/25550651_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Fenn and Elric were enjoying a peaceful afternoon together. Elric was lying down on their balcony while Fenn was nestled on his head. Both were peacefully overlooking the activity of the clan and were talking about their dinner plans. "I hear Fortescue's restaurant is a hit, maybe it's about time we pay him a visit." Fenn suggested. "We haven't been since he started it up, and apparently his menu has grown immensely." "That sound nice, then we can stop by Meringue's to pick up some more of her cinnamon rolls from breakfast tomorrow." Elric responded with a happy growl. He closed his eyes. The sunlight felt pleasantly on their scales. "You and your cinnamon rolls!" Fenn laughed. "I'm sure if we didn't go, Meringue would wonder what happened to us!" Their conversation was soon interrupted by the sight of merry and two wildclaws flying towards their balcony. Surprised, Fenn fluttered off of Elric's head and perched on the wooden railing to see them. Feeling Fenn leave his head, Elric stretched and sat up, his armor clinking as he shifted. "Merry? Why the hurry? is everything alright?" Fenn asked, worry sparking in her tone. "I hope we weren't interrupting anything," Merry said, out of breath, "but Plagueheart and Pyrite have some news for you." The two wildclaws stood awkwardly in front of Fenn and Elric. It had been a long time since Plagueheart had been in the presence of Fenn, the last time had probably been her adventure send-off during the Mistral Jamboree. Pyrite had not stayed long enough last time for Fenn to drop by and introduce herself. Not to mention they had stolen a windship last visit that they had clearly not brought with them on their return. "Ah, you're majesty-" Pyrite began awkwardly. "Pyrite, I am not a queen that insists of formality. Fenn works just fine." Fenn said, amusement in her eyes. "Alright then, Fenn-" Pyrite began again. "Sorry about the airship, we had every intention of returning it when we came back but there were some complications-" "Oh Pyrite, stop blithering like an idiot, they aren't going to arrest us! Leave this to me!" Plagueheart rolled her eyes and turned to Fenn. "Though we are sorry about the airship. He's right, we were going to return it, and we didn't think we were going to be as long as we were." "It is forgiven." Fenn said, dipping her head. Plagueheart waited for more, but the small queen was intent on listening to what important news they had brought with them. "War is coming to Windkeep Tower. Quartz, he's made a lot on enemies, which if you actually knew him you would very clearly understand-" Plagueheart broke off into a growl of anger. "Sorry, I'm getting off topic. The fact is, a guardian named Daisy Mae is bringing an army to Windkeep Tower in the hopes of taking him down, and Quartz has connections of his own. We are about to be caught in the middle of a terrible fight. Querida has gone to speak to Quartz to see if she can get him to draw the battle away from us, but if it fails, we need to be prepared." "And how to you know all this?" Fenn asked, concern filling her. She hated the thought of the clan she had thought of as a safe haven being in such danger. but if it was true, the best thing to do was face reality and stop whatever was coming. "We were arrested by Quartz's guards after, um, breakingintohisabandonedmansion." Plagueheart admitted. "While we were imprisoned, we were trained as soldiers, and later Daisy Mae took over the prison and decided to use Quartz's own army against him. We only just escaped thanks to Pennar's bravery." "Pennar?" Fenn's curiosity was piqued. "I thought he was dead!" "We thought so too. Turns out he survived the plague. But-" Plagueheart took a deep breath and her voice filled with more emotion than Fenn had ever heard her speak with. "But he died helping us escape. We buried him on a small island in the Starfall Isles. It's really all thanks to him that we're not marching in the army and that we were able to come and warn you." "I'm sorry to hear that." Fenn said sadly. "Thank you for bringing us this news. We must act immediately. I'll call together a council to discuss tactics this evening. If you attend, you will be able to describe this threat we are facing more clearly and we will know what we are up against." "When Querida returns from confronting Quartz, she'll have information about what we're up against on that front." Pyrite added. "Then she must attend too." Fenn sighed and turned to Elric. "Looks like we'll have to postpone out dinner plans." [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40974719] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=40974719&skin=0&apparel=750,10380,26359,25793,25797,15736,3630,27765&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] There was a knock at the door. Quartz looked up from his notes in exasperation. "Thorburn! I told you not to interrupt me anymore! I'm working on tactics!" Quartz shouted angrily. "Do you want me to turn you into a toad!?" [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41058623] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/410587/41058623_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Sorry, no sir." Thorburn said, poking his head through the door with a sigh. "It's just, I thought you might want to know you have a visitor?" "I told Kulshan not to come in until tomorrow!" Quartz snapped. "Tell him to ome back then!" "It's- It's not Kulshan." Thorburn said, and opened the door wider. Querida strolled in, looking livid and followed by an equally furious Tess. Quartz couldn't help but fell the hints of fear creeping in. "Querida!" He pasted a nervous smile on his face. "It's nice to see you again!" "Oh, is it!" Querida said, plastering her own fake smile on her face. "Tell me, how is our daughter? How have you been holding everything together? How have you been at stopping a full blown war from breaking out and risking the destruction of a very special clan?!?" "What are you going to do about it?" Quartz asked, trying to summon some bravery. "You can't hurt me." "No, I can't, but there are other ways to make your life miserable, and the first thing I'm going to do it get you to clean up your mess!" Querida ordered. "I've had it with you taking what you want and claiming everything as you own and playing with other dragons like you own them! Tess told me how you treated our daughter, like a weapon instead of a child! I want you to put a stop to this war!" "But how can I?!" Quartz burst out, all of his stress finally spilling out. "I'm not the one marching on Windkeep Tower! I'm not the one attacking! Mercer is!" "Then take yourself far away from here, very publicly, so this battle can take place elsewhere!" Querida snapped. "I don't care where, as long as you aren't bringing down innocent dragons with you! And you're wrong, it's not Mercer! it's Daisy Mae!" Quartz's blood turned to ice. Daisy Mae. He didn't know she was still around, she had disappeared after the incident, leaving him as the sole apprentice of Mercer. If she was still alive and kicking- well this was worse then he thought. "So, do you have anything to say for yourself?" Querida asked. "I can't leave. I'll die." Quartz said simply. "So what? You deserve it! You've taken so many lives, isn't it time you start sacrificing your own for others instead of the other way round?" Querida said, obviously having no sympathy for her former partner. "I'm not leaving." Quartz said in a voice like stone. "Fine then, then you are going to do everything you can to help protect this clan from the fallout of your own actions, because they don't deserve any of this!" Querida insisted. "What makes you think I'm going to listen to you?' Quartz asked. "Because I've seen the army she is bringing, I was a part of it before I managed to escape. I know what's coming your way, and no matter what strings you pull, you don't stand a chance without help." Querida said simply. "Your best chance of survival is ensuring the dragons of Windkeep Tower are on your side, which, I might add, if going to be difficult seeing as my [i]parents[/i] are talking to the Queen of Windkeep Tower at this very moment telling her about all the awful things you have done." Quartz had to admit she had a point. He winced at the mention of her parents. he had promised to do what he could to free them all those years ago and then had done absolutely nothing. There was no reason why anyone should be on his side, but more than everything, he wanted to live, and Querida seemed to be giving him the only option for it. "Fine. You make a very convincing argument." Quartz sighed. "We'll try things your way." "Then you have a lot of work to do before the army gets here." ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/35#post_34947039]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- The big battle is almost here, and I am very excited! Also, I am happy to give Quartz what has been coming for him for so long. I didn't originally plan to put that in this update, but I realized it needed to happen, and it actually makes another thing I have planned work so much better. I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope you are looking forward for the upcoming battle... Also, fun fact, I recently started making moodboards and I'm working on giving all my dragons moodboards! I have up to Querida done (some of them were already done by others), and everyone up to Thorburn has theirs in their bio, so if you want to check them out, there are some I'm especially proud of! (Namely those who have played a big role in my lore so far, because I had more information to work with).

Chapter 63: A Warning of War

38414705_350.png

It was the perfect day to practice music. The sun was shining warmly down on the Windswept Plateau, with a nice cool breeze to stop it from getting too hot. There were only a few clouds in the sky. Once Merry finished his shift helping Sacredscream in the library, he stopped by his suite to grab his guitar and found a nice place overlooking the sea to play. Instantly, he began plucking the notes to a song, and began to sing.

He was enjoying the moment so much, he didn't notice the approaching dragons until they were right in front of him. Three wildclaws, swooping down to the ground and skimming the grass with their talons, followed by a manticore running along behind them. They looked exhausted, like they had been flying for a long time. They were coming from the direction of the Reedcleft Ascent. It was then that he noticed them. He didn't know them well, as none of them had stayed at Windkeep Tower long, but it was definitely Pyrite and Plagueheart, followed by a dragon he had seen a couple of times before at the Copper Lotus that he realized must be their daughter.

They passed over Merry's head and the resulting breezed caused him to tumble over. He turned to see where they were going and saw them turn around the land in front of him. Despite their exhaustion, they all seemed desperate and hurried.

"Is there anything I can do to help you?" Merry asked the larger dragons as he picked up his guitar and checked it over for damage. Deciding it to be okay, he slung it over his shoulder.

"We need to talk to Fenn, immediately." Plagueheart announced, out of breath.

"Is everything alright?" Merry asked, shocked.

"I'm afraid not. Great danger is coming to Windkeep Tower. We must be ready." Pyrite said solemnly.

"In that case, I'll take you too her right away." Merry said, wondering what danger could be coming to such a peaceful place.

"I'll meet up with you all later." Querida said, preparing her wings to fly in another direction. "Tess and I need to have a talk with Quartz."

"If you don't come back by sundown, we'll come after you." Plagueheart told her daughter with narrowed eyes and a voice like acid. "I'm not letting that coatl steal you away again."

"Thank you." And with that Querida took off, followed by the manticore.

Merry was full of questions. Quartz had been nothing but kind to the clan, why were these dragons so bitter towards him? But time was of the essence, and Merry could not delay asking about information they'd have to rehash to Fenn anyways.

"Come this way." Merry said, fluttering upwards. The two wildclaws kicked off and followed close behind him towards the top of Windkeep Tower.

Fenn and Elric were enjoying a peaceful afternoon together. Elric was lying down on their balcony while Fenn was nestled on his head. Both were peacefully overlooking the activity of the clan and were talking about their dinner plans.

"I hear Fortescue's restaurant is a hit, maybe it's about time we pay him a visit." Fenn suggested. "We haven't been since he started it up, and apparently his menu has grown immensely."

"That sound nice, then we can stop by Meringue's to pick up some more of her cinnamon rolls from breakfast tomorrow." Elric responded with a happy growl. He closed his eyes. The sunlight felt pleasantly on their scales.

"You and your cinnamon rolls!" Fenn laughed. "I'm sure if we didn't go, Meringue would wonder what happened to us!"

Their conversation was soon interrupted by the sight of merry and two wildclaws flying towards their balcony. Surprised, Fenn fluttered off of Elric's head and perched on the wooden railing to see them. Feeling Fenn leave his head, Elric stretched and sat up, his armor clinking as he shifted.

"Merry? Why the hurry? is everything alright?" Fenn asked, worry sparking in her tone.

"I hope we weren't interrupting anything," Merry said, out of breath, "but Plagueheart and Pyrite have some news for you."

The two wildclaws stood awkwardly in front of Fenn and Elric. It had been a long time since Plagueheart had been in the presence of Fenn, the last time had probably been her adventure send-off during the Mistral Jamboree. Pyrite had not stayed long enough last time for Fenn to drop by and introduce herself. Not to mention they had stolen a windship last visit that they had clearly not brought with them on their return.

"Ah, you're majesty-" Pyrite began awkwardly.

"Pyrite, I am not a queen that insists of formality. Fenn works just fine." Fenn said, amusement in her eyes.

"Alright then, Fenn-" Pyrite began again. "Sorry about the airship, we had every intention of returning it when we came back but there were some complications-"

"Oh Pyrite, stop blithering like an idiot, they aren't going to arrest us! Leave this to me!" Plagueheart rolled her eyes and turned to Fenn. "Though we are sorry about the airship. He's right, we were going to return it, and we didn't think we were going to be as long as we were."

"It is forgiven." Fenn said, dipping her head. Plagueheart waited for more, but the small queen was intent on listening to what important news they had brought with them.

"War is coming to Windkeep Tower. Quartz, he's made a lot on enemies, which if you actually knew him you would very clearly understand-" Plagueheart broke off into a growl of anger. "Sorry, I'm getting off topic. The fact is, a guardian named Daisy Mae is bringing an army to Windkeep Tower in the hopes of taking him down, and Quartz has connections of his own. We are about to be caught in the middle of a terrible fight. Querida has gone to speak to Quartz to see if she can get him to draw the battle away from us, but if it fails, we need to be prepared."

"And how to you know all this?" Fenn asked, concern filling her. She hated the thought of the clan she had thought of as a safe haven being in such danger. but if it was true, the best thing to do was face reality and stop whatever was coming.

"We were arrested by Quartz's guards after, um, breakingintohisabandonedmansion." Plagueheart admitted. "While we were imprisoned, we were trained as soldiers, and later Daisy Mae took over the prison and decided to use Quartz's own army against him. We only just escaped thanks to Pennar's bravery."

"Pennar?" Fenn's curiosity was piqued. "I thought he was dead!"

"We thought so too. Turns out he survived the plague. But-" Plagueheart took a deep breath and her voice filled with more emotion than Fenn had ever heard her speak with. "But he died helping us escape. We buried him on a small island in the Starfall Isles. It's really all thanks to him that we're not marching in the army and that we were able to come and warn you."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Fenn said sadly. "Thank you for bringing us this news. We must act immediately. I'll call together a council to discuss tactics this evening. If you attend, you will be able to describe this threat we are facing more clearly and we will know what we are up against."

"When Querida returns from confronting Quartz, she'll have information about what we're up against on that front." Pyrite added.

"Then she must attend too." Fenn sighed and turned to Elric. "Looks like we'll have to postpone out dinner plans."

There was a knock at the door. Quartz looked up from his notes in exasperation.

"Thorburn! I told you not to interrupt me anymore! I'm working on tactics!" Quartz shouted angrily. "Do you want me to turn you into a toad!?"

"Sorry, no sir." Thorburn said, poking his head through the door with a sigh. "It's just, I thought you might want to know you have a visitor?"

"I told Kulshan not to come in until tomorrow!" Quartz snapped. "Tell him to ome back then!"

"It's- It's not Kulshan." Thorburn said, and opened the door wider. Querida strolled in, looking livid and followed by an equally furious Tess. Quartz couldn't help but fell the hints of fear creeping in.

"Querida!" He pasted a nervous smile on his face. "It's nice to see you again!"

"Oh, is it!" Querida said, plastering her own fake smile on her face. "Tell me, how is our daughter? How have you been holding everything together? How have you been at stopping a full blown war from breaking out and risking the destruction of a very special clan?!?"

"What are you going to do about it?" Quartz asked, trying to summon some bravery. "You can't hurt me."

"No, I can't, but there are other ways to make your life miserable, and the first thing I'm going to do it get you to clean up your mess!" Querida ordered. "I've had it with you taking what you want and claiming everything as you own and playing with other dragons like you own them! Tess told me how you treated our daughter, like a weapon instead of a child! I want you to put a stop to this war!"

"But how can I?!" Quartz burst out, all of his stress finally spilling out. "I'm not the one marching on Windkeep Tower! I'm not the one attacking! Mercer is!"

"Then take yourself far away from here, very publicly, so this battle can take place elsewhere!" Querida snapped. "I don't care where, as long as you aren't bringing down innocent dragons with you! And you're wrong, it's not Mercer! it's Daisy Mae!"

Quartz's blood turned to ice. Daisy Mae. He didn't know she was still around, she had disappeared after the incident, leaving him as the sole apprentice of Mercer. If she was still alive and kicking- well this was worse then he thought.

"So, do you have anything to say for yourself?" Querida asked.

"I can't leave. I'll die." Quartz said simply.

"So what? You deserve it! You've taken so many lives, isn't it time you start sacrificing your own for others instead of the other way round?" Querida said, obviously having no sympathy for her former partner.

"I'm not leaving." Quartz said in a voice like stone.

"Fine then, then you are going to do everything you can to help protect this clan from the fallout of your own actions, because they don't deserve any of this!" Querida insisted.

"What makes you think I'm going to listen to you?' Quartz asked.

"Because I've seen the army she is bringing, I was a part of it before I managed to escape. I know what's coming your way, and no matter what strings you pull, you don't stand a chance without help." Querida said simply. "Your best chance of survival is ensuring the dragons of Windkeep Tower are on your side, which, I might add, if going to be difficult seeing as my parents are talking to the Queen of Windkeep Tower at this very moment telling her about all the awful things you have done."

Quartz had to admit she had a point. He winced at the mention of her parents. he had promised to do what he could to free them all those years ago and then had done absolutely nothing. There was no reason why anyone should be on his side, but more than everything, he wanted to live, and Querida seemed to be giving him the only option for it.

"Fine. You make a very convincing argument." Quartz sighed. "We'll try things your way."

"Then you have a lot of work to do before the army gets here."

The big battle is almost here, and I am very excited! Also, I am happy to give Quartz what has been coming for him for so long. I didn't originally plan to put that in this update, but I realized it needed to happen, and it actually makes another thing I have planned work so much better. I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope you are looking forward for the upcoming battle...

Also, fun fact, I recently started making moodboards and I'm working on giving all my dragons moodboards! I have up to Querida done (some of them were already done by others), and everyone up to Thorburn has theirs in their bio, so if you want to check them out, there are some I'm especially proud of! (Namely those who have played a big role in my lore so far, because I had more information to work with).
@Petall
Aaaahhhhhhh, I'm so worried for everybody!!! I WANT ALL MY PRECIOUS BABIES TO LIVE. Even Quartz deserved just a little bit of mercy ;^;
@Petall
Aaaahhhhhhh, I'm so worried for everybody!!! I WANT ALL MY PRECIOUS BABIES TO LIVE. Even Quartz deserved just a little bit of mercy ;^;
oie-6215725-UHAIb-VYJ.png
AzWEmYL.png Call me Ari!
AzWEmYL.png FR +3
AzWEmYL.png He/She/They
_________________________________ genderfluid.png
@Aetherstorm

I know the feeling well! The thought of killing anyone breaks my heart! And all I'm going to say in terms of Quartz is that this isn't all for him.
@Aetherstorm

I know the feeling well! The thought of killing anyone breaks my heart! And all I'm going to say in terms of Quartz is that this isn't all for him.
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/35#post_34907441]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 64: Preparation[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25550650] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/255507/25550650_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Fenn looked out over the assembled dragons in the council room. This was the first times they had ever really needed to use it. The whole clan had made it out, save for Thorburn and Querida. The wildclaw had not yet returned from her visit with Quartz, and her parents were getting antsy. Nobody had seen scale or tooth of Thorburn since Juliette had fallen out with him, which was unusual because he could usually be found skulking around somewhere. Nevertheless, they would have to continue without them. "Alright everyone, settle down, it is time for our meeting to commence." Fenn called the room to attention and the last murmurs of noise fell to a hush. Everyone had heard rumors about why the meeting had been called, and they were desperate to know how much danger they were in. "As you all have probably heard by now, a battle is coming to Windkeep Tower. The fight is not our own, but rather, we are being caught up in the middle of a war between Quartz and an enemy of his." Fenn announced. Murmurs swept through the room as they realized the rumored danger was real. She allowed enough time for them to take in what she had said before continuing. "Plagueheart and Pyrite have some information about the threat coming our way." [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40062165] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400622/40062165_350.png[/img] [/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40036092] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400361/40036092_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Thank you Fenn." Plagueheart said quietly. She seemed a bit nervous surrounded by the dragons she had grown up around, but had not seen for so long. There were others too that she would not have met yet. It was clear she was not used to public speaking. "Um, well, you see-" "An army is coming, made up of dragons Quartz has taken prisoner." Pyrite spoke out. As he did not know these dragons particularly well, he had no trouble speaking up in front of them. He looked at Plagueheart encouragingly. "Yes. A guardian named Daisy Mae has taken over the prison and has weaponized this army. She has trained them stronger, and fed their vendettas against Quartz. They are hungry and desperate, and will likely stop at nothing to gain their revenge and try to earn their freedom." Plagueheart explained. "Pyrite, Querida and I were lucky enough to escape a couple days before they started their march. It will not be long now until they arrive. I do not know Daisy Mae well enough to know how much harm she means Windkeep Tower, but I do know she will not let the presence of a nearby clan stop her from seeking her revenge so we must be prepared to defend ourselves." "There were also rumors of a beast while we were prisoners." Pyrite added. "We never saw it, but sometimes we heard its roars. It sounded draconic, so we were never sure what it was or if it was even real, but she does have something more powerful she is hiding." "And that's all we know." Plagueheart concluded. Silence had fallen over the room. It was clear that with a threat looming so big over their heads, they were wondering what their chances of survival were. They had warriors, but not enough to take on an army. If Daisy Mae decided to attack Windkeep Tower itself, it would not go well for them. Suddenly, a small, quivering voice spoke up. "If I may..." Normally such a voice would be lost in the noise of a chatty room, but in the stunned silence, it was as loud as a thunderclap. Everyone turned to face Carmen, who was nervously trying not to be noticed by anyone. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26754921] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/267550/26754921_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "As I was saying..." Carmen tried again. Fenn gave her a nod of encouragement and she seemed to gain more confidence. "I know what sort of dragons Quartz and Daisy Mae are. I used to work for their mentor, Mercer. I was his mate actually, but all that is in the past. I was present during their training. These dragons are selfish, and will stop at nothing to get what they want. Daisy Mae and Quartz have always been at each other's necks, vying to best the other. Mercer encouraged it because it had great results in their training. Unfortunately, Mercer got overconfident and set a test that turned Daisy Mae away from him forever. As a test of loyalty, he tracked down her charge, and commanded his two apprentices to kill her. Daisy Mae, of course, refused, for what guardian can deny their charge? Quartz however would do anything to climb further, and completed the deed. Daisy Mae left that night, and we never saw her again. It appears she's been planning her revenge ever since." Carmen took a shaky breath. Talking about the past she wanted to forget was taking its toll on her, but she knew this was their best chance of survival, so she kept going. "The downfall of these dragons is despite their connections and abilities, they get arrogant and overconfident in their abilities. We need to find those gaps, and make use of them." Camen took another deep breath. "I wanted to leave this all behind me when I escaped Mercer and his black market, but it appears that if I am to be truly free of my demons, I must fight them on last time. I will stand for this clan, and the haven it is for so many. I don't like to use my powers, but Mercer trained me well as well. if I can take down either Quartz or Daisy Mae, maybe I can bring the battle to an end faster." "Thank you Carmen. Windkeep Tower honours your bravery and courage." Fenn turned to the other assembled. "I am not going to force you all to fight. Some of you may not have the abilities to join the battle, and it is against my beliefs to force dragons into a fight they may not want to fight, but I implore you, if any of you can do anything to help on any front, please help us keep Windkeep Tower standing. Many of us have lost too many things in our lifetimes already, I don't want us to lose our home. if you wish to help but don't know how, come talk to Elric, Nymph or myself. We will find something that suits your abilities and talents. You may all go-" But before Fenn could finish, the door swung open, and Querida walked in, dragging a nervous Quartz between her and Tess. Behind them, Thorburn slunk in, looking like he would very much like to be somewhere else. He glanced around the room, avoiding Juliette and India's gaze. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41349508] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=41349508&skin=24908&apparel=18774,23723,21853&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40974719] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=40974719&skin=0&apparel=750,10380,26359,25793,25797,15736,3630,27765&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/360.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41058623] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/410587/41058623_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Quartz?" Fenn asked in surprise. "What are you doing here?" "Tell them." Querida spat, glaring at the fancy coatl. "I need help. I can't fight Daisy Mae on my own." Quartz admitted. "I need protection. I have some skills I can offer to you. I am skilled with shield charms. I could cast a shield around the tower, and it would protect all those inside its barrier. All I ask in return is that you fight on my side." "And why should we help you?" Fenn asked. It was not a a bitter question, just simply awaiting an answer, without judgement. "Windkeep Tower thanks you for your generous donations every year, but you have brought danger upon us and you have hurt our townspeople for no reason but your own greed. Windkeep Tower is a place of forgiveness, but we are not foolish. Why should we sacrifice our lives for you? Why shouldn't we cast you out to take your battle elsewhere." "Like I said, I would be willing to shield those who are too young or unskilled or unwilling to fight, provided they stay in or near the tower. That is a safety that would not be otherwise guaranteed." Quartz reminded her. "As for your other accusations, yes, it is true I brought danger upon you. It's true I have used dragons as chess pieces in my own game of life, but doing so has brought me nothing but ruin. I lost my daughter as a result of my calloused and controlling heart. I can change. Querida has shown that to me. Not only that, but I want to change. I'm tired of losing, I'm tired of fighting to keep everything I've earned." He caught Querida's glare. "Everything I've stolen. I want to make things right." Fenn surveyed the coatl for a moment, feeling the eyes of her whole clan on them. Some were staring with anger towards the dragon who had brought this trouble on their beloved home. Others had a softer look in their eyes, a glimmer of hope. "All those in favour of giving Quartz a second chance?" Fenn called out. A number of dragons raised their wings or talons. She counted them out, it was more than half. With a satisfied grin, she turned to Quartz. "We accept your offer, on two other conditions." Fenn told him. "One, you teach us everything you know that will help us in our fight against Daisy Mae, and two, if anything you do brings any harm to [i]any[/i] of the members of Windkeep Tower, and I mean any, you will be cast out immediately." "Thank you." Relief shone in Quartz's blue eyes. "I swear I will not harm a scale on anyone's back. I am ready to try things a different way, anything to survive." Fenn simply nodded. "Oh, and one other thing. We will not kill for you. Our end goal is not to see Daisy Mae or her army slaughtered, it is to ensure the safety of Windkeep Tower. We will target only those on Daisy Mae's side, but we will not kill for you. That is not our way, and most of those prisoners are here against their will to begin with." "I understand." Quartz nodded. "Good." Fenn said, with narrowed eyes. "You have been very kind to us, Quartz, and it would be a shame to see such a partnership die because of your own foolishness." "I agree." Quartz nodded. "I will make my mansion visible tomorrow morning, if anyone wishes to have additional training, I will be there. Fenn, you are more than welcome to come along or send protection if you do not trust me." With that, the meeting came to a close. The dragons gathered began to leave or break off into groups to talk about what had occurred that evening. Quartz made to go when Querida caught up with him. "You better have meant it, about changing, because I think you bring nothing but trouble wherever you go." She told him. "And if you break our trust in any way, I will personally see that you pay for your crimes, no matter what Fenn says." "Your warning is noted." The two dragons held each other's gaze unblinkingly, unwilling to break first. Querida felt her heart pounding harder and harder, and she felt certain that with the binding of the hearts, they were beating as one. Then Quartz tore away and made his way down the corridor, leaving Querida to watch him go with a triumphant look on her face. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] Over the next few days, everyone did nothing but prepare for the battle. Quartz came by the next morning to cast the barrier over the tower, where it sat like a large pink bubble. He then cast a pink rune on everyone in the tower, promising them that only those with the rune could pass in and out of the barrier, and that he would refresh the spell every 12 hours. Training sessions were run almost constantly, Nymph training those in need to physical fighting skills, and Quartz partnering with Lin to teach those with magical abilities. Zolean made sure he was stocked up on medical supplies, and hired a couple of doctors to stay until the battle was done in case the injuries grew to an alarming rate. India and Juliette were busy warning travelers of the incoming battle and ensuring those who wished to stay in the safety of the tower were comfortable. They also prepared extra rooms for any prisoners of Daisy Mae's who might need a place to stay and recover if they got their freedom. Querida, meanwhile, was asking everyone she could about her children, desperate to know their whereabouts. It was difficult to come to terms with like post-prison, and she wanted nothing more but to make up for lost time. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=17420518] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/174206/17420518_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "We were wondering if he might have been yours." Amberlyn said with a sad smile. "Why didn't you say anything? Rammus is a wonderful young fellow and you could have come to visit." "I couldn't risk Quartz finding out about him. I knew he wanted to train our child to be a secret weapon, and I didn't want that to happen to more hatchlings than it had to." Querida explained. "I faked a one egg nest and sent the other two to those I knew I could trust to raise them and give them a normal life." "Oh Querida, on Sornieth, there is no such thing as a normal life." Amberlyn said with a sad smile. "But of course a mother wants what's best for her children. Rammus is safe, he's happy. He's just out on a pilgrimage to the Cloudsong. He wanted to see some of the world and get the Windsinger's Blessing. I'm sure he'll return safe and sound after the battle, and you can see him again." She got less reassuring answers from India and Juliette. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40857691] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/408577/40857691_350.png[/img] [/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40726683] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/407267/40726683_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "I saw Ruby before she left Windkeep Tower. She was escaping Quartz with another coatl, what was his name? Rhowen? It must have been Rhowen. They didn't say where they were going, only that they had to leave as quickly as they could." Juliette explained sadly. "Oh, if only I had known Runeclaw was yours! I sent him with them, to make sure they got to safety okay. I don't know how far they were planning on traveling, or where they went Querida, I'm sorry." "She took good care of your daughter though, in the brief period she was under our roof." India said, looking proudly at her niece. "And Runeclaw was such a big help to me. He's a great kid, a little bit of trouble, but all the best ones are. I'm sure he will be back someday, and he'd be very happy meet you." "Thank you so much for looking after him so long. I'm so sorry I disappeared the way I did. You were both so kind to me when I first came to Windkeep Tower, I'm afraid I haven't been as good a friend in return." Querida sighed. "Everyone must tread their own path." India said wisely. "You're here now, that says more than you think." [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=27871527] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/278716/27871527_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] One morning, before the sun had even risen, the first wave hit. Nymph, who had been on watch, sounded the alarm. The battle had begun. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/36#post_34978340]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @RiaFire11[/center] ----- So, it is beginning. I knew this chapter would be long because there was a lot I needed to fit into it, so I didn't end up writing it yesterday as I was busy most of the day.

Chapter 64: Preparation

25550650_350.png

Fenn looked out over the assembled dragons in the council room. This was the first times they had ever really needed to use it. The whole clan had made it out, save for Thorburn and Querida. The wildclaw had not yet returned from her visit with Quartz, and her parents were getting antsy. Nobody had seen scale or tooth of Thorburn since Juliette had fallen out with him, which was unusual because he could usually be found skulking around somewhere. Nevertheless, they would have to continue without them.

"Alright everyone, settle down, it is time for our meeting to commence." Fenn called the room to attention and the last murmurs of noise fell to a hush. Everyone had heard rumors about why the meeting had been called, and they were desperate to know how much danger they were in.

"As you all have probably heard by now, a battle is coming to Windkeep Tower. The fight is not our own, but rather, we are being caught up in the middle of a war between Quartz and an enemy of his." Fenn announced. Murmurs swept through the room as they realized the rumored danger was real. She allowed enough time for them to take in what she had said before continuing. "Plagueheart and Pyrite have some information about the threat coming our way."

"Thank you Fenn." Plagueheart said quietly. She seemed a bit nervous surrounded by the dragons she had grown up around, but had not seen for so long. There were others too that she would not have met yet. It was clear she was not used to public speaking. "Um, well, you see-"

"An army is coming, made up of dragons Quartz has taken prisoner." Pyrite spoke out. As he did not know these dragons particularly well, he had no trouble speaking up in front of them. He looked at Plagueheart encouragingly.

"Yes. A guardian named Daisy Mae has taken over the prison and has weaponized this army. She has trained them stronger, and fed their vendettas against Quartz. They are hungry and desperate, and will likely stop at nothing to gain their revenge and try to earn their freedom." Plagueheart explained. "Pyrite, Querida and I were lucky enough to escape a couple days before they started their march. It will not be long now until they arrive. I do not know Daisy Mae well enough to know how much harm she means Windkeep Tower, but I do know she will not let the presence of a nearby clan stop her from seeking her revenge so we must be prepared to defend ourselves."

"There were also rumors of a beast while we were prisoners." Pyrite added. "We never saw it, but sometimes we heard its roars. It sounded draconic, so we were never sure what it was or if it was even real, but she does have something more powerful she is hiding."

"And that's all we know." Plagueheart concluded.

Silence had fallen over the room. It was clear that with a threat looming so big over their heads, they were wondering what their chances of survival were. They had warriors, but not enough to take on an army. If Daisy Mae decided to attack Windkeep Tower itself, it would not go well for them.

Suddenly, a small, quivering voice spoke up.

"If I may..." Normally such a voice would be lost in the noise of a chatty room, but in the stunned silence, it was as loud as a thunderclap. Everyone turned to face Carmen, who was nervously trying not to be noticed by anyone.

"As I was saying..." Carmen tried again. Fenn gave her a nod of encouragement and she seemed to gain more confidence. "I know what sort of dragons Quartz and Daisy Mae are. I used to work for their mentor, Mercer. I was his mate actually, but all that is in the past. I was present during their training. These dragons are selfish, and will stop at nothing to get what they want. Daisy Mae and Quartz have always been at each other's necks, vying to best the other. Mercer encouraged it because it had great results in their training. Unfortunately, Mercer got overconfident and set a test that turned Daisy Mae away from him forever. As a test of loyalty, he tracked down her charge, and commanded his two apprentices to kill her. Daisy Mae, of course, refused, for what guardian can deny their charge? Quartz however would do anything to climb further, and completed the deed. Daisy Mae left that night, and we never saw her again. It appears she's been planning her revenge ever since."

Carmen took a shaky breath. Talking about the past she wanted to forget was taking its toll on her, but she knew this was their best chance of survival, so she kept going.

"The downfall of these dragons is despite their connections and abilities, they get arrogant and overconfident in their abilities. We need to find those gaps, and make use of them." Camen took another deep breath. "I wanted to leave this all behind me when I escaped Mercer and his black market, but it appears that if I am to be truly free of my demons, I must fight them on last time. I will stand for this clan, and the haven it is for so many. I don't like to use my powers, but Mercer trained me well as well. if I can take down either Quartz or Daisy Mae, maybe I can bring the battle to an end faster."

"Thank you Carmen. Windkeep Tower honours your bravery and courage." Fenn turned to the other assembled. "I am not going to force you all to fight. Some of you may not have the abilities to join the battle, and it is against my beliefs to force dragons into a fight they may not want to fight, but I implore you, if any of you can do anything to help on any front, please help us keep Windkeep Tower standing. Many of us have lost too many things in our lifetimes already, I don't want us to lose our home. if you wish to help but don't know how, come talk to Elric, Nymph or myself. We will find something that suits your abilities and talents. You may all go-"

But before Fenn could finish, the door swung open, and Querida walked in, dragging a nervous Quartz between her and Tess. Behind them, Thorburn slunk in, looking like he would very much like to be somewhere else. He glanced around the room, avoiding Juliette and India's gaze.

"Quartz?" Fenn asked in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Tell them." Querida spat, glaring at the fancy coatl.

"I need help. I can't fight Daisy Mae on my own." Quartz admitted. "I need protection. I have some skills I can offer to you. I am skilled with shield charms. I could cast a shield around the tower, and it would protect all those inside its barrier. All I ask in return is that you fight on my side."

"And why should we help you?" Fenn asked. It was not a a bitter question, just simply awaiting an answer, without judgement. "Windkeep Tower thanks you for your generous donations every year, but you have brought danger upon us and you have hurt our townspeople for no reason but your own greed. Windkeep Tower is a place of forgiveness, but we are not foolish. Why should we sacrifice our lives for you? Why shouldn't we cast you out to take your battle elsewhere."

"Like I said, I would be willing to shield those who are too young or unskilled or unwilling to fight, provided they stay in or near the tower. That is a safety that would not be otherwise guaranteed." Quartz reminded her. "As for your other accusations, yes, it is true I brought danger upon you. It's true I have used dragons as chess pieces in my own game of life, but doing so has brought me nothing but ruin. I lost my daughter as a result of my calloused and controlling heart. I can change. Querida has shown that to me. Not only that, but I want to change. I'm tired of losing, I'm tired of fighting to keep everything I've earned." He caught Querida's glare. "Everything I've stolen. I want to make things right."

Fenn surveyed the coatl for a moment, feeling the eyes of her whole clan on them. Some were staring with anger towards the dragon who had brought this trouble on their beloved home. Others had a softer look in their eyes, a glimmer of hope.

"All those in favour of giving Quartz a second chance?" Fenn called out. A number of dragons raised their wings or talons. She counted them out, it was more than half. With a satisfied grin, she turned to Quartz.

"We accept your offer, on two other conditions." Fenn told him. "One, you teach us everything you know that will help us in our fight against Daisy Mae, and two, if anything you do brings any harm to any of the members of Windkeep Tower, and I mean any, you will be cast out immediately."

"Thank you." Relief shone in Quartz's blue eyes. "I swear I will not harm a scale on anyone's back. I am ready to try things a different way, anything to survive."

Fenn simply nodded. "Oh, and one other thing. We will not kill for you. Our end goal is not to see Daisy Mae or her army slaughtered, it is to ensure the safety of Windkeep Tower. We will target only those on Daisy Mae's side, but we will not kill for you. That is not our way, and most of those prisoners are here against their will to begin with."

"I understand." Quartz nodded.

"Good." Fenn said, with narrowed eyes. "You have been very kind to us, Quartz, and it would be a shame to see such a partnership die because of your own foolishness."

"I agree." Quartz nodded. "I will make my mansion visible tomorrow morning, if anyone wishes to have additional training, I will be there. Fenn, you are more than welcome to come along or send protection if you do not trust me."

With that, the meeting came to a close. The dragons gathered began to leave or break off into groups to talk about what had occurred that evening. Quartz made to go when Querida caught up with him.

"You better have meant it, about changing, because I think you bring nothing but trouble wherever you go." She told him. "And if you break our trust in any way, I will personally see that you pay for your crimes, no matter what Fenn says."

"Your warning is noted." The two dragons held each other's gaze unblinkingly, unwilling to break first. Querida felt her heart pounding harder and harder, and she felt certain that with the binding of the hearts, they were beating as one. Then Quartz tore away and made his way down the corridor, leaving Querida to watch him go with a triumphant look on her face.

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

Over the next few days, everyone did nothing but prepare for the battle. Quartz came by the next morning to cast the barrier over the tower, where it sat like a large pink bubble. He then cast a pink rune on everyone in the tower, promising them that only those with the rune could pass in and out of the barrier, and that he would refresh the spell every 12 hours.

Training sessions were run almost constantly, Nymph training those in need to physical fighting skills, and Quartz partnering with Lin to teach those with magical abilities. Zolean made sure he was stocked up on medical supplies, and hired a couple of doctors to stay until the battle was done in case the injuries grew to an alarming rate. India and Juliette were busy warning travelers of the incoming battle and ensuring those who wished to stay in the safety of the tower were comfortable. They also prepared extra rooms for any prisoners of Daisy Mae's who might need a place to stay and recover if they got their freedom.

Querida, meanwhile, was asking everyone she could about her children, desperate to know their whereabouts. It was difficult to come to terms with like post-prison, and she wanted nothing more but to make up for lost time.

"We were wondering if he might have been yours." Amberlyn said with a sad smile. "Why didn't you say anything? Rammus is a wonderful young fellow and you could have come to visit."

"I couldn't risk Quartz finding out about him. I knew he wanted to train our child to be a secret weapon, and I didn't want that to happen to more hatchlings than it had to." Querida explained. "I faked a one egg nest and sent the other two to those I knew I could trust to raise them and give them a normal life."

"Oh Querida, on Sornieth, there is no such thing as a normal life." Amberlyn said with a sad smile. "But of course a mother wants what's best for her children. Rammus is safe, he's happy. He's just out on a pilgrimage to the Cloudsong. He wanted to see some of the world and get the Windsinger's Blessing. I'm sure he'll return safe and sound after the battle, and you can see him again."

She got less reassuring answers from India and Juliette.

"I saw Ruby before she left Windkeep Tower. She was escaping Quartz with another coatl, what was his name? Rhowen? It must have been Rhowen. They didn't say where they were going, only that they had to leave as quickly as they could." Juliette explained sadly. "Oh, if only I had known Runeclaw was yours! I sent him with them, to make sure they got to safety okay. I don't know how far they were planning on traveling, or where they went Querida, I'm sorry."

"She took good care of your daughter though, in the brief period she was under our roof." India said, looking proudly at her niece. "And Runeclaw was such a big help to me. He's a great kid, a little bit of trouble, but all the best ones are. I'm sure he will be back someday, and he'd be very happy meet you."

"Thank you so much for looking after him so long. I'm so sorry I disappeared the way I did. You were both so kind to me when I first came to Windkeep Tower, I'm afraid I haven't been as good a friend in return." Querida sighed.

"Everyone must tread their own path." India said wisely. "You're here now, that says more than you think."

One morning, before the sun had even risen, the first wave hit. Nymph, who had been on watch, sounded the alarm. The battle had begun.

So, it is beginning. I knew this chapter would be long because there was a lot I needed to fit into it, so I didn't end up writing it yesterday as I was busy most of the day.
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 78 79