Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 78 79
@Kizzan

Me too!!! Poor Plagueheart, she's certainly had a rough run this arc. Losing Pennar was probably the only think that would truly break her.

Thank you so much for your compliments! This chapter was a big one, so I'm very glad it turned out as well as it did!
@Kizzan

Me too!!! Poor Plagueheart, she's certainly had a rough run this arc. Losing Pennar was probably the only think that would truly break her.

Thank you so much for your compliments! This chapter was a big one, so I'm very glad it turned out as well as it did!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!!
@Petall YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!!
@CleverDual

:D I'm glad you're so excited!!! I am too!!!
@CleverDual

:D I'm glad you're so excited!!! I am too!!!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/9#post_32870304]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 23: Oceans Vibrant[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28254965] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/282550/28254965_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40036092] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400361/40036092_350.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40062165] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400622/40062165_350.png[/img] [/url] [/center] "Welcome to Oceans Vibrant, a town celebrating the beauty of the Sea of a Thousand Currents!" Dremasul spread his arms wide with a smile as the three wildclaws stepped into the streets of the island city. It was alive with colour and dragons of all breeds and flights bustling around. The main street was a marketplace, lined with stalls selling all manner of goods and souvenirs. "Is it always this busy?" Pyrite asked irritably as a group of young faes bumped into him and scattered. "During the Wavecrest Saturnalia, yes." Dremasul said with a grin. "This year, the celebration seems even bigger than usual. Perhaps they wish to show that the apparent disappearance of the Tidelord hasn't dampened their spirits." "It's the Wavecrest Saturnalia?" Plagueheart asked, shock rushing through her. She hadn't realized how much time had passed since she and Pennar had left Windkeep Tower. The thought of Pennar brought all her grief rushing back, and she tried to push it away. There was no use in falling apart. She had to be strong. "I thought you kids deserved a bit of fun, after what we've been through." Dremasul explained. "Though, I suppose you two aren't really kids anymore." It was true. Plagueheart had hardly realized it, but she had now reached her full size. Her muscles were lean and strong. Pyrite's face had lengthened since they met, and he had quite a striking jawline. "I managed to get a good deal on giant sand dollars on the way over, so here, take a little pocket money, and go enjoy yourselves." He handed them each a leather pouch, and gave them a warning look. "Don't cause trouble. I don't want to hear you two got arrested. I'll meet you both back at the Hyaline Inn for dinner. We'll spend the night there tonight." With an exchange of mischievous grins, Plagueheart and Pyrite ran off into the city. Where to start? The stalls looked fascinating, and it had been a long time since Plagueheart had brushed wings with so many different dragons. In the past, the thought would have made her very uncomfortable, but there was something nice about being anonymous in the crowd. No one knew her, she could be an ordinary dragon celebrating an ordinary festival. She wanted to do everything. See everything. The world was open to her. [i]Pennar would have loved this.[/i] She couldn't stop the thought from entering her mind. "So, you want to join the Darktouched Chimeras?" Pyrite asked, nudging her with a grin and sly glint in his blue eyes. His jewelry seemed extra vibrant here, setting him apart from the other dragons. Here, she could really believe him to be a master thief. Plagueheart's face split into a smile. "A test is in order then." Pyrite explained. "It's really more protocol at this point. I'd let you in as it is, but the others, they won't truly accept you unless you're properly initiated." "What do you want me to do?" Plagueheart asked, trembling slightly with anticipation. She couldn't stop looking at his his. "Steal something, a small trinket from one of these stalls." Pyrite dared. "I need to know that you'd do anything to get what you want, at any cost." "Consider it done." Plagueheart flexed her claws, ready for the challenge. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] "Dremasul? No it can't be!" Dremasul spun around from the counter of the Hyaline Inn to see a familiar nocturne face. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=27871527] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/278716/27871527_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Where did he know her from? She wasn't from Clan Yonder, but maybe... one of their allies? And her name... He swore it was on the edge of his mind... "Nymph!" then nocturne said, seeing his puzzled expression. And everything came rushing back. "Oh, of course!" Dremasul said. "How is the Clan of Resting Wings?" He didn't know Nymph too well, but they had met a few times when her clan met with Clan Yonder, back when he lived in wind... "I don't live there anymore, I haven't for a long time. I live in wind now. How have you been?" Nymph asked, playing with a ruby ring on her finger. "Alright." Dremasul said quickly, not wanting to go into things. "What are you doing in these parts?" "I had business in the Sea of a Thousand Currents. And my boyfriend wanted to experience an [i]authentic[/i] Saturnalia." Nymph rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Don't know what's wrong with the festival put on back at Windkeep Tower, but I guess each festival is best celebrated within its own flight. He's looking at ships now, trying to get some new vessels for the port. I decided to go ahead and book us a place to stay for the night. What about you?" "Just traveling." Dremasul explained. "We just left the plaguelands, and needed something to freshen us up. I'm travelling with two young wildclaws I met in plague." "Have you been in touch with Amberlyn?" Nymph asked. "Amberlyn?" Dremasul hadn't heard that name in a while. "She's alive? She survived the attack on Clan Yonder?" So it was true. He hadn't been the only one to escape the horrors that destroyed his old wind home. "Who else-" "Sacredscream, Fenn and Elric were gone for a while, but they came back." Nymph went on. "Probably others, but they moved on to different clans and I don't think Fenn knows where." So it was just Amberlyn. He had hoped- No, he had learned long ago that it didn't do well to dwell on hopes. Best to make do with what he had in reality. Amberlyn was far more than he had expected. "Are you alright?" Nymph asked. "Yeah, I just- I thought I was the only one." Dremasul said. "Where are they now?" "Windkeep Tower! I live there as well. I could show you there if you like." Nymph offered. "That would be great. We're going to wind next anyways. One of my companions, Plagueheart, has some news she needs to bring back to her birth clan." Dremasul explained. "Thank you very-" But he was interrupted by the sound of guards. "Oh dear, I best make sure that's not my wards... They have a bad habit of getting into trouble. I'll talk to you later." And with a swish, he raced out of the inn and out onto the street. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] Through his charm and experience, Dremasul had been able to brush the whole incident off as a misunderstanding. Plagueheart had attempted to steal a large conch shell from a merchant, and had been caught before she could even run off with it. "This is what I warned you about!" Dremasul scolded them. "What were you thinking?" "It was just a bit of fun!" Plagueheart shot back defiantly. "You're not my dad, and I am a grown dragon! You can't tell me what to do!" "I'm trying to keep you out of prison! Do you want to be kicked out of the city?" Dremasul sighed in exasperation. "Do you want to go back to prison?" He asked Pyrite. "What do-" Plagueheart spun on Pyrite, but he interrupted. "It's my fault. I dared her to." Pyrite said. "I'm sorry, it was just a bit of fun. Can we go and enjoy the rest of the Saturnalia now?" "Fine, but next time, I'm not worming you out of the consequences." Dremasul conceded. It was true he was not their parent. He could hardly ground them or keep them from doing what they wanted. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] Plagueheart woke up screaming. It was still dark, and moonlight streamed through her window. For a moment, she forgot where she was, in this strange bed with the smell of the sea in the air. It almost was as if she were home. In her own bed. But she wasn't. And Pennar was gone. The door burst open, causing Plagueheart to shout again, but she soon realized it was only Pyrite, holding a candle. "Honestly, it's just me! I heard you screaming..." He seemed a little sheepish. "Is everything alright?" "Just a bad dream." Plagueheart muttered in embarrassment. Of all dragons, why did it have to be Pyrite who came to rescue? She had already proved she wasn't as tough as she wanted him to think she was. She had failed his test. She was tougher than this. "About Pennar?" Pyrite asked. Plagueheart just nodded. "You know, I lost a brother too. Not in the same way you did. I abandoned him. I got scared, and I abandoned him, as soon as I was safe. You're braver than I am. If it was been Fire stuck with the Wyrmwound Plague, I probably would have left him to rot pretty quickly. Underneath it all, I'm nothing more than a coward. That's why I've been so uncomfortable around you. You're everything I'm not." "You? But what about everything you did? Leader of the Darktouched Chimeras? Master thief? Stealer of lives?"Plagueheart reminded him. "You are no coward." Pyrite laughed. "Yeah, I am. The Darktouched Chimeras doesn't exist. I made it up to sound impressive. I've never stolen anything in my life. I tried once. I wanted to join my older brother's gang, the Crystalplate Stingers. The test was the same one I gave you, and Fire did steal something, but we got caught. Or rather, I took it from him and got caught. I was thrown in prison. Aleksei came to rescue me, but he told me I had failed the test and that I should never return. I was scared, and wanted to prove myself to be tough. I was ashamed at my failure. That's why I never returned to Fire. Because I failed. I threw myself into the Scarred Wasteland to try to make myself tough, but I almost didn't make it. Dremasul found me and saved my life. I'm nothing like you. Everything I've tried I've failed, and it makes me so frustrated." Plagueheart drank in his every word, stunned. The two of them really weren't all that different. Two young dragons who had never really felt like they deserved their place in the world, doing everything they could to make up for their past failures. As she tried to take all this in, something else occurred to her. "Hold on, if the Darktouched Chimeras don't exist, then why set me that test?" She asked. "I guess I wanted to bring you down to my level. Or I was too embarrassed to admit it was all a sham. I don't know. I don't tend to think through my decisions very thoroughly." Pyrite admitted, fiddling his hands, and not meeting Plagueheart's gaze. "I'm sorry." "It's alright." Plagueheart's anger was gone. Finally, someone else who understood her. "I guess I'll go back to my room." Pyrite said, turning to leave. "I'm not one for all this sentimental talk." His normal sharpness returned, though his eyes betrayed something more. "See you tomorrow." "Wait." Plagueheart called out suddenly. "Could you stay in here? Not that I can't handle myself of course. It's just that it helps my nightmares not to be on my own." "Fine." Pyrite smirked, and he crawled into bed next to her. "You know, after we're done in wind, we should go looking for your brother." Plagueheart suggested. "You haven't truly lost him, not yet. Don't let him go because you're ashamed. Those kind of ties are too important to lose over something silly like this." "Silly? What are you calling silly?" Pyrite shot back, but Plagueheart could tell there was a humor behind his sharpness. She was beginning to be able to read him better, now that she understood him. All that emotion, masked by anger and indifference. Two dragons, trying to find their place in the world. But tonight, it was only them. Raw and vulnerable in a way they had never been able to be with anyone else. Come morning, it would likely fade like dewdrops in the sunlight, but for now? For now it was everything either of them wanted. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/10#post_32966618]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist[/center] ----- I figured after so many emotional and intense updates, it was time for something a little more fun! It was also time to write a Wavecrest update! I had a lot of fun writing this update! Just one more chapter left for this arc, and I'll move onto something new! I've decided that for now on, for my festival updates, the chapter is going to be named after one of the festival skins. I'll also use it to name other things within the update if need be (i.e. the Hyaline Inn). Also, news: Pyrite and Plagueheart are on a nest! Not in the story, but I've decided I can't wait anymore and now that they are friends at the very least, I figure I can put them on. I won't hatch it until they are ready in lore, but I'm really excited for the next generation of my alphabet legacy challenge. I hope their shift in relationship this update doesn't seem to sudden. They spent a lot of time together in the Scarred Wasteland, both while and after Pennar got sick, and they are the sort of characters that would get on like a house on fire once they find something they both agree on, and a lot of Pyrite's irritation towards her before, as revealed, is due to his own insecurity and her truths making his truths seem too close for comfort.

Chapter 23: Oceans Vibrant

28254965_350.png

40036092_350.png

40062165_350.png

"Welcome to Oceans Vibrant, a town celebrating the beauty of the Sea of a Thousand Currents!" Dremasul spread his arms wide with a smile as the three wildclaws stepped into the streets of the island city. It was alive with colour and dragons of all breeds and flights bustling around. The main street was a marketplace, lined with stalls selling all manner of goods and souvenirs.

"Is it always this busy?" Pyrite asked irritably as a group of young faes bumped into him and scattered.

"During the Wavecrest Saturnalia, yes." Dremasul said with a grin. "This year, the celebration seems even bigger than usual. Perhaps they wish to show that the apparent disappearance of the Tidelord hasn't dampened their spirits."

"It's the Wavecrest Saturnalia?" Plagueheart asked, shock rushing through her. She hadn't realized how much time had passed since she and Pennar had left Windkeep Tower. The thought of Pennar brought all her grief rushing back, and she tried to push it away. There was no use in falling apart. She had to be strong.

"I thought you kids deserved a bit of fun, after what we've been through." Dremasul explained. "Though, I suppose you two aren't really kids anymore."

It was true. Plagueheart had hardly realized it, but she had now reached her full size. Her muscles were lean and strong. Pyrite's face had lengthened since they met, and he had quite a striking jawline.

"I managed to get a good deal on giant sand dollars on the way over, so here, take a little pocket money, and go enjoy yourselves." He handed them each a leather pouch, and gave them a warning look. "Don't cause trouble. I don't want to hear you two got arrested. I'll meet you both back at the Hyaline Inn for dinner. We'll spend the night there tonight."

With an exchange of mischievous grins, Plagueheart and Pyrite ran off into the city.

Where to start? The stalls looked fascinating, and it had been a long time since Plagueheart had brushed wings with so many different dragons. In the past, the thought would have made her very uncomfortable, but there was something nice about being anonymous in the crowd. No one knew her, she could be an ordinary dragon celebrating an ordinary festival. She wanted to do everything. See everything. The world was open to her.

Pennar would have loved this. She couldn't stop the thought from entering her mind.

"So, you want to join the Darktouched Chimeras?" Pyrite asked, nudging her with a grin and sly glint in his blue eyes. His jewelry seemed extra vibrant here, setting him apart from the other dragons. Here, she could really believe him to be a master thief. Plagueheart's face split into a smile.

"A test is in order then." Pyrite explained. "It's really more protocol at this point. I'd let you in as it is, but the others, they won't truly accept you unless you're properly initiated."

"What do you want me to do?" Plagueheart asked, trembling slightly with anticipation. She couldn't stop looking at his his.

"Steal something, a small trinket from one of these stalls." Pyrite dared. "I need to know that you'd do anything to get what you want, at any cost."

"Consider it done." Plagueheart flexed her claws, ready for the challenge.

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

"Dremasul? No it can't be!" Dremasul spun around from the counter of the Hyaline Inn to see a familiar nocturne face.

Where did he know her from? She wasn't from Clan Yonder, but maybe... one of their allies? And her name... He swore it was on the edge of his mind...

"Nymph!" then nocturne said, seeing his puzzled expression. And everything came rushing back.

"Oh, of course!" Dremasul said. "How is the Clan of Resting Wings?" He didn't know Nymph too well, but they had met a few times when her clan met with Clan Yonder, back when he lived in wind...

"I don't live there anymore, I haven't for a long time. I live in wind now. How have you been?" Nymph asked, playing with a ruby ring on her finger.

"Alright." Dremasul said quickly, not wanting to go into things. "What are you doing in these parts?"

"I had business in the Sea of a Thousand Currents. And my boyfriend wanted to experience an authentic Saturnalia." Nymph rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Don't know what's wrong with the festival put on back at Windkeep Tower, but I guess each festival is best celebrated within its own flight. He's looking at ships now, trying to get some new vessels for the port. I decided to go ahead and book us a place to stay for the night. What about you?"

"Just traveling." Dremasul explained. "We just left the plaguelands, and needed something to freshen us up. I'm travelling with two young wildclaws I met in plague."

"Have you been in touch with Amberlyn?" Nymph asked.

"Amberlyn?" Dremasul hadn't heard that name in a while. "She's alive? She survived the attack on Clan Yonder?" So it was true. He hadn't been the only one to escape the horrors that destroyed his old wind home. "Who else-"

"Sacredscream, Fenn and Elric were gone for a while, but they came back." Nymph went on. "Probably others, but they moved on to different clans and I don't think Fenn knows where."

So it was just Amberlyn. He had hoped- No, he had learned long ago that it didn't do well to dwell on hopes. Best to make do with what he had in reality. Amberlyn was far more than he had expected.

"Are you alright?" Nymph asked.

"Yeah, I just- I thought I was the only one." Dremasul said. "Where are they now?"

"Windkeep Tower! I live there as well. I could show you there if you like." Nymph offered.

"That would be great. We're going to wind next anyways. One of my companions, Plagueheart, has some news she needs to bring back to her birth clan." Dremasul explained. "Thank you very-" But he was interrupted by the sound of guards. "Oh dear, I best make sure that's not my wards... They have a bad habit of getting into trouble. I'll talk to you later." And with a swish, he raced out of the inn and out onto the street.

Through his charm and experience, Dremasul had been able to brush the whole incident off as a misunderstanding. Plagueheart had attempted to steal a large conch shell from a merchant, and had been caught before she could even run off with it.

"This is what I warned you about!" Dremasul scolded them. "What were you thinking?"

"It was just a bit of fun!" Plagueheart shot back defiantly. "You're not my dad, and I am a grown dragon! You can't tell me what to do!"

"I'm trying to keep you out of prison! Do you want to be kicked out of the city?" Dremasul sighed in exasperation. "Do you want to go back to prison?" He asked Pyrite.

"What do-" Plagueheart spun on Pyrite, but he interrupted.

"It's my fault. I dared her to." Pyrite said. "I'm sorry, it was just a bit of fun. Can we go and enjoy the rest of the Saturnalia now?"

"Fine, but next time, I'm not worming you out of the consequences." Dremasul conceded. It was true he was not their parent. He could hardly ground them or keep them from doing what they wanted.

Plagueheart woke up screaming. It was still dark, and moonlight streamed through her window. For a moment, she forgot where she was, in this strange bed with the smell of the sea in the air. It almost was as if she were home. In her own bed. But she wasn't. And Pennar was gone.

The door burst open, causing Plagueheart to shout again, but she soon realized it was only Pyrite, holding a candle.

"Honestly, it's just me! I heard you screaming..." He seemed a little sheepish. "Is everything alright?"

"Just a bad dream." Plagueheart muttered in embarrassment. Of all dragons, why did it have to be Pyrite who came to rescue? She had already proved she wasn't as tough as she wanted him to think she was. She had failed his test. She was tougher than this.

"About Pennar?" Pyrite asked. Plagueheart just nodded. "You know, I lost a brother too. Not in the same way you did. I abandoned him. I got scared, and I abandoned him, as soon as I was safe. You're braver than I am. If it was been Fire stuck with the Wyrmwound Plague, I probably would have left him to rot pretty quickly. Underneath it all, I'm nothing more than a coward. That's why I've been so uncomfortable around you. You're everything I'm not."

"You? But what about everything you did? Leader of the Darktouched Chimeras? Master thief? Stealer of lives?"Plagueheart reminded him. "You are no coward."

Pyrite laughed. "Yeah, I am. The Darktouched Chimeras doesn't exist. I made it up to sound impressive. I've never stolen anything in my life. I tried once. I wanted to join my older brother's gang, the Crystalplate Stingers. The test was the same one I gave you, and Fire did steal something, but we got caught. Or rather, I took it from him and got caught. I was thrown in prison. Aleksei came to rescue me, but he told me I had failed the test and that I should never return. I was scared, and wanted to prove myself to be tough. I was ashamed at my failure. That's why I never returned to Fire. Because I failed. I threw myself into the Scarred Wasteland to try to make myself tough, but I almost didn't make it. Dremasul found me and saved my life. I'm nothing like you. Everything I've tried I've failed, and it makes me so frustrated."

Plagueheart drank in his every word, stunned. The two of them really weren't all that different. Two young dragons who had never really felt like they deserved their place in the world, doing everything they could to make up for their past failures. As she tried to take all this in, something else occurred to her.

"Hold on, if the Darktouched Chimeras don't exist, then why set me that test?" She asked.

"I guess I wanted to bring you down to my level. Or I was too embarrassed to admit it was all a sham. I don't know. I don't tend to think through my decisions very thoroughly." Pyrite admitted, fiddling his hands, and not meeting Plagueheart's gaze. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright." Plagueheart's anger was gone. Finally, someone else who understood her.

"I guess I'll go back to my room." Pyrite said, turning to leave. "I'm not one for all this sentimental talk." His normal sharpness returned, though his eyes betrayed something more. "See you tomorrow."

"Wait." Plagueheart called out suddenly. "Could you stay in here? Not that I can't handle myself of course. It's just that it helps my nightmares not to be on my own."

"Fine." Pyrite smirked, and he crawled into bed next to her.

"You know, after we're done in wind, we should go looking for your brother." Plagueheart suggested. "You haven't truly lost him, not yet. Don't let him go because you're ashamed. Those kind of ties are too important to lose over something silly like this."

"Silly? What are you calling silly?" Pyrite shot back, but Plagueheart could tell there was a humor behind his sharpness. She was beginning to be able to read him better, now that she understood him. All that emotion, masked by anger and indifference. Two dragons, trying to find their place in the world. But tonight, it was only them. Raw and vulnerable in a way they had never been able to be with anyone else. Come morning, it would likely fade like dewdrops in the sunlight, but for now? For now it was everything either of them wanted.

I figured after so many emotional and intense updates, it was time for something a little more fun! It was also time to write a Wavecrest update! I had a lot of fun writing this update! Just one more chapter left for this arc, and I'll move onto something new!

I've decided that for now on, for my festival updates, the chapter is going to be named after one of the festival skins. I'll also use it to name other things within the update if need be (i.e. the Hyaline Inn).

Also, news: Pyrite and Plagueheart are on a nest! Not in the story, but I've decided I can't wait anymore and now that they are friends at the very least, I figure I can put them on. I won't hatch it until they are ready in lore, but I'm really excited for the next generation of my alphabet legacy challenge. I hope their shift in relationship this update doesn't seem to sudden. They spent a lot of time together in the Scarred Wasteland, both while and after Pennar got sick, and they are the sort of characters that would get on like a house on fire once they find something they both agree on, and a lot of Pyrite's irritation towards her before, as revealed, is due to his own insecurity and her truths making his truths seem too close for comfort.
@Petall OH MY GOSH MY CLAN HAS SHOWN UP AGAIN!!! I always forget just how many of your dragons used to live in my clan...

THIS IS THE BEST ONE YET! :D
@Petall OH MY GOSH MY CLAN HAS SHOWN UP AGAIN!!! I always forget just how many of your dragons used to live in my clan...

THIS IS THE BEST ONE YET! :D
@Petall As timeskips went, I thought it was pretty good! I was pleasantly surprised to see them enjoying the holiday along with the rest of us. Plus it was interesting to catch glimpses of Dremasul's past, and then see how Palla's and Pyrite's relationship had been changed by recent events. ^^

Also, "get on like a house on fire". One of my favorite expressions! I should actually use it sometime. XD
@Petall As timeskips went, I thought it was pretty good! I was pleasantly surprised to see them enjoying the holiday along with the rest of us. Plus it was interesting to catch glimpses of Dremasul's past, and then see how Palla's and Pyrite's relationship had been changed by recent events. ^^

Also, "get on like a house on fire". One of my favorite expressions! I should actually use it sometime. XD
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@CleverDual

I wanted to hint at Nymph being in the area, but then realized Nymph was with you when Dremasul was last in my clan, so your clan got a mention!!!

I am rather proud of this update! It was one of the funnest I've ever written!

@Disillusionist

Thank you! I figured showing more of the journey through the Scarred Wasteland would leave only more angst and struggle, and I felt it was time for something lighter after the intensity of Pennar's illness. I had a great time writing it, as festival updates are always fun to write! (Perhaps why that's why I'm so suited to wind, I love any good reason to celebrate!)

I've never had two characters it fits more than Pyrite and Plagueheart!
@CleverDual

I wanted to hint at Nymph being in the area, but then realized Nymph was with you when Dremasul was last in my clan, so your clan got a mention!!!

I am rather proud of this update! It was one of the funnest I've ever written!

@Disillusionist

Thank you! I figured showing more of the journey through the Scarred Wasteland would leave only more angst and struggle, and I felt it was time for something lighter after the intensity of Pennar's illness. I had a great time writing it, as festival updates are always fun to write! (Perhaps why that's why I'm so suited to wind, I love any good reason to celebrate!)

I've never had two characters it fits more than Pyrite and Plagueheart!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/10#post_32885167]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 24: Home at Last[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40062165] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400622/40062165_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40036092] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400361/40036092_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Plagueheart and Pyrite stood in silence on the deck of Colm's ship, heading towards the Windswept Plateau. The sea was calm, and the skies were clear. The wind blew through the two wildclaws' feathers softly. Everything should have been perfect, but it wasn't. Plagueheart wasn't sure she was ready to return to Windkeep Tower, but she wasn't going to admit it out loud. How was she to know that the long-lost friend Dremasul had run into was Nymph? She had hoped the older wildclaw's sudden discovery of his old clan would keep them from returning home a while. She just didn't know how to bring back the news about Pennar. Everyone had loved him, and it was her fault she was dead. She didn't deserve to come home, it was Pennar who should be here. Nymph had tried to ask, but Plagueheart had just run away. She must have sensed Plagueheart's pain, because she hadn't bothered her again. Or maybe Dremasul had told her and she hated her. After all, Nymph had known their father well and had always done everything she could for the pair of them. It was Nymph who had given Plagueheart her bow and quiver. She was probably regretting it now. "We don't have to go." Pyrite said, breaking the silence as the tower came into view, standing high and mighty like a beacon atop the high cliffs. "We could fly away, to find Fire, wherever you want. We can run like the wind, and never look back. We can form our own clan, our own gang. You don't have to face them." "Oh, but I do." Plagueheart said sadly. "They deserve to know." "Dremasul can tell them." Pyrite reminded her. "I killed him. It was to be me. Then, when they cast me out, then we can run." Plagueheart vowed. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39127624] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/391277/39127624_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=17420518] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/174206/17420518_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Oriel and Amberlyn were sharing tea together, as they so often did. To Oriel, Amberlyn had become like a mother or a grandmother. Though Orkeck had left her, and her children were venturing the globe, Oriel was not alone. Amberlyn had made sure of that. Oriel had the clan surrounding her as her family, and no one took that role more seriously than Amberlyn. Perhaps it was because she too had lost so much of her biological family, and as Palla and Pennar were descended from her, that made Oriel biological family too. It was Oriel who saw the approaching ship first, though the wide window of her flat. it wasn't the ship her children had set out on, but one of the dragons was unmistakably Palla. She almost dropped her teacup, but managed enough control to put it down gently before letting out a cry of happiness and dashing out of the room. Amberlyn followed close behind. They reached the edge of the cliff just as the dragons aboard began to climb. All that was left to do was to wait. Oriel quivered with excitement as she watched her daughter make her way off the docked ship, accompanied by two unfamiliar wildclaws. Then Colm and Nymph got off, and began to have a look over the ship. It was then that Oriel realized something was missing. Where was Pennar? It seemed to take an hour for them to climb, but eventually, they reached the top, and Oriel raced to give her daughter a hug. Behind her, Amberlyn gasped with shock at seeing the older of the two unfamiliar wildclaws. "Dremasul! I can't believe it!" She said, then raced to give the cloaked wildclaw a hug. "Oh, it's so good to see you home again!" Oriel exclaimed, stepping back from her daughter. She could tell she was slightly uncomfortable by getting such a warm reception, and she didn't want to crowd her. "Oh Palla, you must tell me all about your adventures! Where's Pennar, is he coming?" "I'm not Palla anymore. I go by Plagueheart now." The young wildclaw said stiffly. "And Pennar's... not coming." She looked away, and Oriel could almost swear tears were forming in her daughters eyes. "He caught the Wyrmwound Plague." Dremasul said softly, stepping forward. "He fought very bravely against it, but very few survive it, and Pennar..." "I'm sorry Mom, it's all my fault." Plagueheart spat angrily. "Don't give me a welcome party, I don't need it. You lost your favourite child because of me." "Oh, darling." Oriel rested a hand on her daughter's cheek, tears of grief rising to her eyes. She had to keep strong for her daughter. her living child. She could grieve once she was sure she was alright. "Pennar is not my favourite child. I love you both." "You always say that, but you know it's not true. You got along far better with him than I did! He belongs here! I don't!" Plagueheart was yelling now. "Plagueheart!" Pyrite shouted. "Shut up you idiot! Can't you see what you have here? How many dragons you have here caring about you?! If you don't think they understand you, show them who you are! Show them what they have to love about you! Stop being stupid and throwing away the good you have in life! I'm not going to let you make the same mistakes I did!" "Who do you think you are calling me an idiot?" Plagueheart shot back, but she seemed happier. "Why don't we all come back to my place and we can have some tea and talk all this through." Amberlyn suggested. "We've all been through a lot, and I'm not going to let simple misunderstandings tear this family apart any longer. This is a day of celebration. Two of our number have returned today, and I want to make sure any grievances are well and out of the way so we can have a fresh start." "But Pennar...?" Plagueheart trailed off, confused. "I'm not talking about Pennar." Amberlyn grinned, looking at Dremasul with eyes sparkling. "I had no idea you were descended from Amberlyn." Dremasul said, a sense of awe and understanding crossing his face. "My first mate was Amberlyn's great-granddaughter, which makes you and Pennar my descendants too. Maybe it was more than coincidence that brought us together." "So you're... family." Plagueheart said, a small smile coming to her face. "Oh, Plagueheart, we are family in far more than blood." Dremasul's eyes gleamed. "Our shared journey has ensured that." He turned to Pyrite. "And don't think you're excluded from all this." "Oh, I don't think-" "The Amberlyn line is long and always has room for more, whether related through blood ties or shared experiences." Oriel insisted. "You're one of us now, there's no escaping it." "Trust me, I've tried." Plagueheart whispered to her friend, only half-joking. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] Plagueheart couldn't sleep. It wasn't just the nightmares. her wings itched to spread and her feet itched to wander. Unable to settle herself, she opened the balcony to her quarters and stepped outside to feel the cool night breeze. After some time, there was a flutter of wings, and Pyrite was by her side. "You couldn't sleep either?" He asked. "No, I don't understand it. I should be happy. I have everything I thought I ever wanted." Plagueheart sighed. "I went searching for a place to belong, and turns out it was right where I started. But, it's weird without Pennar. It's not right. And I still can't settle. I'm loved, I have a fantastic family, what more could I want." "Maybe our home is not just the tower. Maybe it's just our home base." Pyrite explained. "Maybe our hearts are too wild to be tied down to one place." "What are you saying?" "I'm saying maybe out home is the open skies, and the thrill of a new adventure. Maybe out home is all of Sornieth, and we were not made to sit still." Pyrite carried on. "Maybe it's time we started our search for Fire. Maybe there are more mysteries to discover, more dangers to face and escape." "You know, I think you're right." "So?" "So let's go." And so that night, a pair of wildclaws took to the skies. A pair of shadows sneaking along the air docks, the unfurling of the sails on a small ship, and the next thing they knew, they were off, to face their next adventure. After all, Windkeep Tower was their home, but there was so much more to see and do. After all, neither would be satisfied with a peaceful life in Windkeep Tower. The tower was their home, yes, but they needed the adrenaline coursing through their veins, and the wind through their feathers. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/11#post_33054922]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Skyeset @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist[/center] ----- And here we go! The end of the arc! I'm really really happy with how my first real arc in this story wrapped up! I must admit, when I started, I had an idea of how it would go, but I wasn't completely sure. I hope you all enjoyed it, and are looking forward to what's coming next! I know I am! Speaking of what's to come, in between arcs, I think for a sort of interlude, I want to go deeper into the backstories of specific dragons. And, because I have way too many dragons I want to write the pasts of, I'll leave it all up to you! I have the dragon I have more of a story to explain in the way of a backstory, and whoever gets the most votes gets the interlude! Feel free to check my lair if you need a reminder of which dragon is which! [url=https://goo.gl/forms/xwGFydieRVatGDJC2]Here is the form![/url] I'll keep it open for a few days or so. Maybe a week. We'll see. This update was very emotional for me to write because I'll currently abroad for the year, far from many of my family and friends, and I can't wait to have my reunion with those back home.

Chapter 24: Home at Last

40062165_350.png

40036092_350.png

Plagueheart and Pyrite stood in silence on the deck of Colm's ship, heading towards the Windswept Plateau. The sea was calm, and the skies were clear. The wind blew through the two wildclaws' feathers softly. Everything should have been perfect, but it wasn't.

Plagueheart wasn't sure she was ready to return to Windkeep Tower, but she wasn't going to admit it out loud. How was she to know that the long-lost friend Dremasul had run into was Nymph? She had hoped the older wildclaw's sudden discovery of his old clan would keep them from returning home a while.

She just didn't know how to bring back the news about Pennar. Everyone had loved him, and it was her fault she was dead. She didn't deserve to come home, it was Pennar who should be here.

Nymph had tried to ask, but Plagueheart had just run away. She must have sensed Plagueheart's pain, because she hadn't bothered her again. Or maybe Dremasul had told her and she hated her. After all, Nymph had known their father well and had always done everything she could for the pair of them. It was Nymph who had given Plagueheart her bow and quiver. She was probably regretting it now.

"We don't have to go." Pyrite said, breaking the silence as the tower came into view, standing high and mighty like a beacon atop the high cliffs. "We could fly away, to find Fire, wherever you want. We can run like the wind, and never look back. We can form our own clan, our own gang. You don't have to face them."

"Oh, but I do." Plagueheart said sadly. "They deserve to know."

"Dremasul can tell them." Pyrite reminded her.

"I killed him. It was to be me. Then, when they cast me out, then we can run." Plagueheart vowed.

Oriel and Amberlyn were sharing tea together, as they so often did. To Oriel, Amberlyn had become like a mother or a grandmother. Though Orkeck had left her, and her children were venturing the globe, Oriel was not alone. Amberlyn had made sure of that. Oriel had the clan surrounding her as her family, and no one took that role more seriously than Amberlyn. Perhaps it was because she too had lost so much of her biological family, and as Palla and Pennar were descended from her, that made Oriel biological family too.

It was Oriel who saw the approaching ship first, though the wide window of her flat. it wasn't the ship her children had set out on, but one of the dragons was unmistakably Palla. She almost dropped her teacup, but managed enough control to put it down gently before letting out a cry of happiness and dashing out of the room. Amberlyn followed close behind.

They reached the edge of the cliff just as the dragons aboard began to climb. All that was left to do was to wait. Oriel quivered with excitement as she watched her daughter make her way off the docked ship, accompanied by two unfamiliar wildclaws. Then Colm and Nymph got off, and began to have a look over the ship. It was then that Oriel realized something was missing. Where was Pennar?

It seemed to take an hour for them to climb, but eventually, they reached the top, and Oriel raced to give her daughter a hug. Behind her, Amberlyn gasped with shock at seeing the older of the two unfamiliar wildclaws.

"Dremasul! I can't believe it!" She said, then raced to give the cloaked wildclaw a hug.

"Oh, it's so good to see you home again!" Oriel exclaimed, stepping back from her daughter. She could tell she was slightly uncomfortable by getting such a warm reception, and she didn't want to crowd her. "Oh Palla, you must tell me all about your adventures! Where's Pennar, is he coming?"

"I'm not Palla anymore. I go by Plagueheart now." The young wildclaw said stiffly. "And Pennar's... not coming." She looked away, and Oriel could almost swear tears were forming in her daughters eyes.

"He caught the Wyrmwound Plague." Dremasul said softly, stepping forward. "He fought very bravely against it, but very few survive it, and Pennar..."

"I'm sorry Mom, it's all my fault." Plagueheart spat angrily. "Don't give me a welcome party, I don't need it. You lost your favourite child because of me."

"Oh, darling." Oriel rested a hand on her daughter's cheek, tears of grief rising to her eyes. She had to keep strong for her daughter. her living child. She could grieve once she was sure she was alright. "Pennar is not my favourite child. I love you both."

"You always say that, but you know it's not true. You got along far better with him than I did! He belongs here! I don't!" Plagueheart was yelling now.

"Plagueheart!" Pyrite shouted. "Shut up you idiot! Can't you see what you have here? How many dragons you have here caring about you?! If you don't think they understand you, show them who you are! Show them what they have to love about you! Stop being stupid and throwing away the good you have in life! I'm not going to let you make the same mistakes I did!"

"Who do you think you are calling me an idiot?" Plagueheart shot back, but she seemed happier.

"Why don't we all come back to my place and we can have some tea and talk all this through." Amberlyn suggested. "We've all been through a lot, and I'm not going to let simple misunderstandings tear this family apart any longer. This is a day of celebration. Two of our number have returned today, and I want to make sure any grievances are well and out of the way so we can have a fresh start."

"But Pennar...?" Plagueheart trailed off, confused.

"I'm not talking about Pennar." Amberlyn grinned, looking at Dremasul with eyes sparkling.

"I had no idea you were descended from Amberlyn." Dremasul said, a sense of awe and understanding crossing his face. "My first mate was Amberlyn's great-granddaughter, which makes you and Pennar my descendants too. Maybe it was more than coincidence that brought us together."

"So you're... family." Plagueheart said, a small smile coming to her face.

"Oh, Plagueheart, we are family in far more than blood." Dremasul's eyes gleamed. "Our shared journey has ensured that." He turned to Pyrite. "And don't think you're excluded from all this."

"Oh, I don't think-"

"The Amberlyn line is long and always has room for more, whether related through blood ties or shared experiences." Oriel insisted. "You're one of us now, there's no escaping it."

"Trust me, I've tried." Plagueheart whispered to her friend, only half-joking.

Plagueheart couldn't sleep. It wasn't just the nightmares. her wings itched to spread and her feet itched to wander. Unable to settle herself, she opened the balcony to her quarters and stepped outside to feel the cool night breeze. After some time, there was a flutter of wings, and Pyrite was by her side.

"You couldn't sleep either?" He asked.

"No, I don't understand it. I should be happy. I have everything I thought I ever wanted." Plagueheart sighed. "I went searching for a place to belong, and turns out it was right where I started. But, it's weird without Pennar. It's not right. And I still can't settle. I'm loved, I have a fantastic family, what more could I want."

"Maybe our home is not just the tower. Maybe it's just our home base." Pyrite explained. "Maybe our hearts are too wild to be tied down to one place."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying maybe out home is the open skies, and the thrill of a new adventure. Maybe out home is all of Sornieth, and we were not made to sit still." Pyrite carried on. "Maybe it's time we started our search for Fire. Maybe there are more mysteries to discover, more dangers to face and escape."

"You know, I think you're right."

"So?"

"So let's go."

And so that night, a pair of wildclaws took to the skies. A pair of shadows sneaking along the air docks, the unfurling of the sails on a small ship, and the next thing they knew, they were off, to face their next adventure. After all, Windkeep Tower was their home, but there was so much more to see and do. After all, neither would be satisfied with a peaceful life in Windkeep Tower. The tower was their home, yes, but they needed the adrenaline coursing through their veins, and the wind through their feathers.

And here we go! The end of the arc! I'm really really happy with how my first real arc in this story wrapped up! I must admit, when I started, I had an idea of how it would go, but I wasn't completely sure. I hope you all enjoyed it, and are looking forward to what's coming next! I know I am!

Speaking of what's to come, in between arcs, I think for a sort of interlude, I want to go deeper into the backstories of specific dragons. And, because I have way too many dragons I want to write the pasts of, I'll leave it all up to you! I have the dragon I have more of a story to explain in the way of a backstory, and whoever gets the most votes gets the interlude! Feel free to check my lair if you need a reminder of which dragon is which!

Here is the form! I'll keep it open for a few days or so. Maybe a week. We'll see.

This update was very emotional for me to write because I'll currently abroad for the year, far from many of my family and friends, and I can't wait to have my reunion with those back home.
@Petall [quote]"Plagueheart!" Pyrite shouted. "Shut up you idiot! [/quote] I just....this is so good I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS!
@Petall
Quote:
"Plagueheart!" Pyrite shouted. "Shut up you idiot!

I just....this is so good I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS!
jfc how do you write like you're running out of itme
jfc how do you write like you're running out of itme
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 78 79