Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | How do you handle food in lore?
1 2 3
One big thing I’ve been puzzling on is how exactly things like food are handled in my lore, so I want to know what other people are doing!

One thing is how do your dragons get enough food to feed everyone? Do you have hunters/foragers/ect or do your dragons produce food through agriculture? Is there ever a surplus of food that’s traded?

Also, are dragons responsible for getting their own food or are their food stores the whole clan can access? Does each dragon prepare their own food or is their a clan cook? Or is it more like a city with each dragon trading items and currency among themselves?

The two biggest things for me are the ways that my clan gets enough
food/if they have a surplus, and if food is prepared/shared freely among the clan or do dragons purchase/trade for food and then prepare it themselves!
One big thing I’ve been puzzling on is how exactly things like food are handled in my lore, so I want to know what other people are doing!

One thing is how do your dragons get enough food to feed everyone? Do you have hunters/foragers/ect or do your dragons produce food through agriculture? Is there ever a surplus of food that’s traded?

Also, are dragons responsible for getting their own food or are their food stores the whole clan can access? Does each dragon prepare their own food or is their a clan cook? Or is it more like a city with each dragon trading items and currency among themselves?

The two biggest things for me are the ways that my clan gets enough
food/if they have a surplus, and if food is prepared/shared freely among the clan or do dragons purchase/trade for food and then prepare it themselves!
IMG_5287.png

They/Them
FR+3
Art
Shop

ACOZFAh.png

mtHAEL4.png

tyEuRXe.png
@Cumulus

First would you mind if I pinged the owner of the lore buddies pinglist? That way you can get more opinions. Its okay if you don't.

As for my clan its basically run like a small town. They uses imports/exports to get the food then sell it to the individual businesses. Like some of dragons need different things so they order through the clan's treasurer and he puts the request through for the best deal.

As for how the food is made it depends basically. The most important items are made first like all the hatchling/special diets get put out first. The nursery has a cook for as well as the older schools. Then the rest of the food goes the food market dragons who sell to population. The food market dragons the food requests that they put in come out of their individual pocket unlike the food for the schools.

My clan also has a youth center which gets some funding from the clan but its mostly gets donations from the public.
@Cumulus

First would you mind if I pinged the owner of the lore buddies pinglist? That way you can get more opinions. Its okay if you don't.

As for my clan its basically run like a small town. They uses imports/exports to get the food then sell it to the individual businesses. Like some of dragons need different things so they order through the clan's treasurer and he puts the request through for the best deal.

As for how the food is made it depends basically. The most important items are made first like all the hatchling/special diets get put out first. The nursery has a cook for as well as the older schools. Then the rest of the food goes the food market dragons who sell to population. The food market dragons the food requests that they put in come out of their individual pocket unlike the food for the schools.

My clan also has a youth center which gets some funding from the clan but its mostly gets donations from the public.
9uEPiQz.png tH9xziu.png
e9Z2Ppt.png
jQ16wgW.png
@SnoringHyena

I don’t mind at all, that would be great!

That’s really interesting though! I like the emphasis on schools !!
@SnoringHyena

I don’t mind at all, that would be great!

That’s really interesting though! I like the emphasis on schools !!
IMG_5287.png

They/Them
FR+3
Art
Shop

ACOZFAh.png

mtHAEL4.png

tyEuRXe.png
@Cumulus

Yup I try to use how the world works around me as a base for how my clan works. It makes writing so much easy

@catgame21234
Hello! Would you mind pasting the lore buddies here. I know you are on top of in the flight general discussion lore discussions
@Cumulus

Yup I try to use how the world works around me as a base for how my clan works. It makes writing so much easy

@catgame21234
Hello! Would you mind pasting the lore buddies here. I know you are on top of in the flight general discussion lore discussions
9uEPiQz.png tH9xziu.png
e9Z2Ppt.png
jQ16wgW.png
@Cumulus

For my clan we have a thing called the Shadow Hunt, and it provides all of the meat for the next two weeks. ((Two weeks in lore time, I still need to work that out a bit.)) Basically, my clan has a problem with and over-populated forest that is in our territory, so we have a large group of dragons from the clan that hunt and bring back anything they find in certain areas of the forest. For example, on one hunt they might purge the area nearest to the clan camp, and on another hunt they purge the area near the lake to the west of camp. They bring back everything they get, but a few types of animals and/or monsters are off-limits.

Plants are provided mainly by my two plant-dragon hybrids, as they run a few gardens together. Also, the healers gather plants for both eating and healing in their spare time.

Insects are the hardest for my clan to get, as they live in a very cold place. They usually just send out orders and then send the clan messenger to pick the orders up. The same happens with seafood, though they also have a group of dragons to hunt for seafood every once in a while.

Storage-wise, they store most of the food in a large cave a little ways away from camp, though they make sure nothing other than dragons can get inside. Every week they send a patrol to check the territory, then to bring back food from the storage area, it's pretty simple most of the time.

I hope that helps!
@Cumulus

For my clan we have a thing called the Shadow Hunt, and it provides all of the meat for the next two weeks. ((Two weeks in lore time, I still need to work that out a bit.)) Basically, my clan has a problem with and over-populated forest that is in our territory, so we have a large group of dragons from the clan that hunt and bring back anything they find in certain areas of the forest. For example, on one hunt they might purge the area nearest to the clan camp, and on another hunt they purge the area near the lake to the west of camp. They bring back everything they get, but a few types of animals and/or monsters are off-limits.

Plants are provided mainly by my two plant-dragon hybrids, as they run a few gardens together. Also, the healers gather plants for both eating and healing in their spare time.

Insects are the hardest for my clan to get, as they live in a very cold place. They usually just send out orders and then send the clan messenger to pick the orders up. The same happens with seafood, though they also have a group of dragons to hunt for seafood every once in a while.

Storage-wise, they store most of the food in a large cave a little ways away from camp, though they make sure nothing other than dragons can get inside. Every week they send a patrol to check the territory, then to bring back food from the storage area, it's pretty simple most of the time.

I hope that helps!
I'm honnored~ but you should consider joining too next time ;) but…mm… well my clan is mostly in lightning so they have accssess to appoliances.they do a lot of trade and grow some food for themselves as well. however the real star of the show; [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31299690] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/312997/31299690_350.png[/img] [/url] Is a snapper name Snackers Who's able to make up any meal in 5 seconds fast (he takes the lightning "work hard" mentality to heart) He works at the inn, which is my lair, so i need recipies. If i could also use this thread to throw ideas at me for dishes that my snappercould cook that'd be appreshate as well. you can check their bio to see what they got in there. Lore buddy ping list: [b](add me as a friend and comment on my profile page to be added!)[/b] @ArtsyDragon7, @Kawootie, @Reiyn, @GlitterDCMarvel, @WhySoDelirious, @PoorLifeChoices, @Amyatzu, @JadeMagic, @CrystalRush, @Leopardmask, @violalore, @bowserslave, @Ellapinky, @JumpScared, @JadeFlame, @Duskflame, @TheElfDruid,@Rinwood,@DiamondNoodles,@3idolon,@Kaibutsu,@DarkwingDove, @Shaydas, @ColoradoBlues ,@Drakion @ClockworkEclipse, @SleepyChipmunk @Sabriel415, @DarkVSO, @Cheshly, @WhiteDiamond ,@RingsofSaturn, @Dalison, @MagicSpyglass,@Rocwylde, @Artificiary,@ILUVDRAGONS, @throwaway181,@L2B,@Kittystar,@riseandshine, @luminousnoble, @Spottedleaves1,@Gaming4Lyfe @MiniDrachin @Katsuokai @AetherDragon @Kano3Shuuya @Caravan @EmeraldJubilee @TheEngineer @Kristan @Inkapede @KitApparently @Dragongirlgirl @girlgirlDragon @Oranitha @JonTargaryen @CassieRose @Chimaerix @Comic1Sans @CrazyRedFire @QuetzalQueen @FlamingSwallow @ookamisoulreaper @TheRobinsBerry @HyperionForge @Starglade @GlassJungle @Galaxiel @biochemist @P4810 @CrAZDragon @Skyfire7 @AnacondaMiracle @Kerriganne
I'm honnored~ but you should consider joining too next time ;)

but…mm…
well my clan is mostly in lightning so they have accssess to appoliances.they do a lot of trade and grow some food for themselves as well. however the real star of the show;

31299690_350.png

Is a snapper name Snackers
Who's able to make up any meal in 5 seconds fast (he takes the lightning "work hard" mentality to heart)

He works at the inn, which is my lair, so i need recipies.
If i could also use this thread to throw ideas at me for dishes that my snappercould cook that'd be appreshate as well. you can check their bio to see what they got in there.

Lore buddy ping list: (add me as a friend and comment on my profile page to be added!)
@ArtsyDragon7, @Kawootie, @Reiyn, @GlitterDCMarvel, @WhySoDelirious, @PoorLifeChoices, @Amyatzu, @JadeMagic, @CrystalRush, @Leopardmask, @violalore, @bowserslave, @Ellapinky, @JumpScared, @JadeFlame, @Duskflame, @TheElfDruid,@Rinwood,@DiamondNoodles,@3idolon,@Kaibutsu,@DarkwingDove, @Shaydas, @ColoradoBlues ,@Drakion @ClockworkEclipse, @SleepyChipmunk @Sabriel415, @DarkVSO,
@Cheshly, @WhiteDiamond ,@RingsofSaturn, @Dalison, @MagicSpyglass,@Rocwylde, @Artificiary,@ILUVDRAGONS, @throwaway181,@L2B,@Kittystar,@riseandshine, @luminousnoble, @Spottedleaves1,@Gaming4Lyfe @MiniDrachin @Katsuokai @AetherDragon @Kano3Shuuya @Caravan @EmeraldJubilee @TheEngineer @Kristan @Inkapede @KitApparently @Dragongirlgirl @girlgirlDragon @Oranitha @JonTargaryen @CassieRose @Chimaerix @Comic1Sans @CrazyRedFire @QuetzalQueen @FlamingSwallow @ookamisoulreaper @TheRobinsBerry @HyperionForge @Starglade @GlassJungle @Galaxiel @biochemist @P4810 @CrAZDragon @Skyfire7 @AnacondaMiracle @Kerriganne
ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
My clan lives on the Tempest Spire, which is highly industrialized. Most of the clan lives in an indoor (mostly underground) city, called the Emerald City. Emerald City is climate-controlled (this is important considering how hot the Shifting Expanse tends to be). -Emerald City has a greenhouse and arboretum. The arboretum is more for recreational purposes, the greenhouse for food-growing purposes (and the whole cycle of ecology with certain types of insects and other critters beneficial to the ecological balance). Water is piped in, and there is special lighting to facilitate the plant growth. -Emerald City also has a Hunting Division, Foraging Division, Fishing Division, and Insect Division for food gathering, with teams going on assignments, often to different regions, to gather there. (There is also a Digging-Scavenging Division.) Example: TreeOctopus, who works on the Fishing Division. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=36753187][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/367532/36753187_350.png[/img][/url] -There is a small area of terraformed land outside the city, called Snabbage Patch Farms, which grows certain kinds of crops that do better in a warm climate (like peppers), and has some grazing herds. Snabbage Patch Farms is owned by Sparkle: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38502303][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/385024/38502303_350.png[/img][/url] -Emerald City also has trade relations with other territories, such as Earth, Nature, Plague, and Water, for different kinds of food. We also have The Oasis Cafe, famed for its coffee and barbecue. This dude is the proprietor: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=36462954][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/364630/36462954_350.png[/img][/url]
My clan lives on the Tempest Spire, which is highly industrialized. Most of the clan lives in an indoor (mostly underground) city, called the Emerald City. Emerald City is climate-controlled (this is important considering how hot the Shifting Expanse tends to be).

-Emerald City has a greenhouse and arboretum. The arboretum is more for recreational purposes, the greenhouse for food-growing purposes (and the whole cycle of ecology with certain types of insects and other critters beneficial to the ecological balance). Water is piped in, and there is special lighting to facilitate the plant growth.

-Emerald City also has a Hunting Division, Foraging Division, Fishing Division, and Insect Division for food gathering, with teams going on assignments, often to different regions, to gather there. (There is also a Digging-Scavenging Division.)

Example: TreeOctopus, who works on the Fishing Division.

36753187_350.png

-There is a small area of terraformed land outside the city, called Snabbage Patch Farms, which grows certain kinds of crops that do better in a warm climate (like peppers), and has some grazing herds. Snabbage Patch Farms is owned by Sparkle:

38502303_350.png

-Emerald City also has trade relations with other territories, such as Earth, Nature, Plague, and Water, for different kinds of food.

We also have The Oasis Cafe, famed for its coffee and barbecue. This dude is the proprietor:

36462954_350.png

pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
My clan is on the smaller end of the clan scale (if that makes any sense), so most of the food items are gathered from the territory around the clan. However, The DreamShard Clan does have a beekeeper (Bradley), as well as a herbalist (Marjoram), who contribute to the available food the clan has. Some of the dragons know some recipes that they make for themselves (and occasionally) the rest of the clan, but there is no dedicated chef.

EDIT: I forgot that Barberry was a thing when I first made this post. You see, Barberry actually is the one who cooks for the clan!
My clan is on the smaller end of the clan scale (if that makes any sense), so most of the food items are gathered from the territory around the clan. However, The DreamShard Clan does have a beekeeper (Bradley), as well as a herbalist (Marjoram), who contribute to the available food the clan has. Some of the dragons know some recipes that they make for themselves (and occasionally) the rest of the clan, but there is no dedicated chef.

EDIT: I forgot that Barberry was a thing when I first made this post. You see, Barberry actually is the one who cooks for the clan!
OwO
My clan is more feral, so there's not a whole lot of cooking going on. For the most part everyone tends for themselves, but we all help feed the young, old, and injured. Surplus is kinda eh- we stockpile any extra for hard times and rarely trade it away.
My clan is more feral, so there's not a whole lot of cooking going on. For the most part everyone tends for themselves, but we all help feed the young, old, and injured. Surplus is kinda eh- we stockpile any extra for hard times and rarely trade it away.
sculkquest.pngIconx100t.png
muHAHHAHA I HAVE SO MUCH POWER WITH THIS PING LIST MHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
FLY
FLY MY PRETTIES
muHAHHAHA I HAVE SO MUCH POWER WITH THIS PING LIST MHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
FLY
FLY MY PRETTIES
ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
1 2 3