Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Critique requested - Sketch to art
1 2
This is my first time to ask for criticism on here...so...please be gentle with me xD I am in the process of attempting to work on my art style. I have been a decent sketcher but coloring...well let's just say I missed that Kindergarten class. So, I want to ask a couple of questions: 1. What can I do to make this sketch translate easier to full art (I.E. should I add more details, colored lines where shadows should go, etc) 2. What kind of style do you think this is? I have always tried to lean towards realism, but still working on it. I am self taught, so hence my confusion. 3. Line art...yes or no? I really like lineless art, but what do you guys think? Should I focus on line art and then slowly transition to lineless once I get better with color? 4. What can I change to make this babe better? 5. Any recommendations on art programs (I use Krita) or suggestions on how to give her a more realistic feel? I know I know...a lot of questions...BUT REALLY I JUST NEED ALL ADVICE!!! Thanks <3 [img]https://pre00.deviantart.net/60b6/th/pre/i/2018/047/4/b/practice_sketch_by_flawlezfalcon-dc3djey.jpg[/img]
This is my first time to ask for criticism on here...so...please be gentle with me xD I am in the process of attempting to work on my art style. I have been a decent sketcher but coloring...well let's just say I missed that Kindergarten class. So, I want to ask a couple of questions:
1. What can I do to make this sketch translate easier to full art (I.E. should I add more details, colored lines where shadows should go, etc)
2. What kind of style do you think this is? I have always tried to lean towards realism, but still working on it. I am self taught, so hence my confusion.
3. Line art...yes or no? I really like lineless art, but what do you guys think? Should I focus on line art and then slowly transition to lineless once I get better with color?
4. What can I change to make this babe better?
5. Any recommendations on art programs (I use Krita) or suggestions on how to give her a more realistic feel?

I know I know...a lot of questions...BUT REALLY I JUST NEED ALL ADVICE!!!

Thanks <3
practice_sketch_by_flawlezfalcon-dc3djey.jpg
I make art! Click here to see my recent work!
Remember, always be yourself, no one else can do it for you
51874862.png 55851448.png
@Rainingsunshine

1) I think your sketch is simple enough. You can go ahead and try make the lines, the sketch doesn't have to be clear and detailed, you can always add details while lining and coloring. Shading is important though, so if you feel unsure about it, it's better to sketch out where the shading should be at first.

2) I'd say something like semi-realism. You're not quite there yet, but making a way. ^^

3) It's easier to color with lineart, but I feel like you can experiment with lineless drawings more. The important thing about lineless drawing is that they can blend into the background easily, so be careful about that and use contrasting colors, so it would be clear where the character is.

4) Add more details like scales etc. if you're trying for realism. ^^

5) I suggest Paint Tool SAI, as my experience with Krita is quite negative. For realism, don't use bright colors and focus on details and proportions more.
@Rainingsunshine

1) I think your sketch is simple enough. You can go ahead and try make the lines, the sketch doesn't have to be clear and detailed, you can always add details while lining and coloring. Shading is important though, so if you feel unsure about it, it's better to sketch out where the shading should be at first.

2) I'd say something like semi-realism. You're not quite there yet, but making a way. ^^

3) It's easier to color with lineart, but I feel like you can experiment with lineless drawings more. The important thing about lineless drawing is that they can blend into the background easily, so be careful about that and use contrasting colors, so it would be clear where the character is.

4) Add more details like scales etc. if you're trying for realism. ^^

5) I suggest Paint Tool SAI, as my experience with Krita is quite negative. For realism, don't use bright colors and focus on details and proportions more.
ZbNAjCO.png
hh5n4WA.png
rLSiosd.png
n3XdSHq.png
dEe2UrM.png
m0OgmQP.png
BMbHYAh.png

tumblr_inline_n6kdviAEBO1qlye38.gif
unknown.png
@jufnaty

Thank you so much on your input! I heard a lot of good about SAI...i need to try it. Let me see what I can do and I will probably post an update for more critique!!!! Thank you thank you!!!
@jufnaty

Thank you so much on your input! I heard a lot of good about SAI...i need to try it. Let me see what I can do and I will probably post an update for more critique!!!! Thank you thank you!!!
@Rainingsunshine
If you want to go for a realistic style, I suggest moving to a lineless style in the future. However, because you are not used to coloring yet, I don't recommend going lineless just yet. Without knowing the basics of shading/color theory, your picture might as well turn into a flat blob (which was how my art used to look like when I first started to paint digitally!)
Also, if you want to practice realism, prooobably don't use fantasy dragons as practice. Draw real world reptiles and other animals so you get a better grasp of how anatomy, eyes, scales/fur, teeth and everything works. Once you grow more skilled, cartoon dragons will look more believable. Good luck!
@Rainingsunshine
If you want to go for a realistic style, I suggest moving to a lineless style in the future. However, because you are not used to coloring yet, I don't recommend going lineless just yet. Without knowing the basics of shading/color theory, your picture might as well turn into a flat blob (which was how my art used to look like when I first started to paint digitally!)
Also, if you want to practice realism, prooobably don't use fantasy dragons as practice. Draw real world reptiles and other animals so you get a better grasp of how anatomy, eyes, scales/fur, teeth and everything works. Once you grow more skilled, cartoon dragons will look more believable. Good luck!
@Rainingsunshine [quote name="Rainingsunshine" date="2018-02-16 13:30:38" ] 1. What can I do to make this sketch translate easier to full art (I.E. should I add more details, colored lines where shadows should go, etc) 2. What kind of style do you think this is? I have always tried to lean towards realism, but still working on it. I am self taught, so hence my confusion. 3. Line art...yes or no? I really like lineless art, but what do you guys think? Should I focus on line art and then slowly transition to lineless once I get better with color? 4. What can I change to make this babe better? 5. Any recommendations on art programs (I use Krita) or suggestions on how to give her a more realistic feel? [/quote] hmmm. 1: i think you could sketch out where the shadows go after recognizing where the light source(s) is/are. 2: im not too good with styles myself but it does seem pretty realistic... i think. 3: i think transitioning from line art to colored line art to lineless is the way to go. it gives you a better idea of how it's supposed to look... and it gives you time to practice. 4: i really dont know. i cant even draw dragons like that... just keep practicing different angles. 5: i use Sai Tool. it has a lot of potential and if you use it right, you can make amazing realistic pieces. i just use it however and im not really going anywhere fast. if you look up "Download sai tool free" on youtube, there should be a video or two where you can get it for free with a few custom brushes. make sure the comments say that it isnt spam or a virus. :) i hope this helps. keep up the good work!
@Rainingsunshine
Rainingsunshine wrote on 2018-02-16 13:30:38:
1. What can I do to make this sketch translate easier to full art (I.E. should I add more details, colored lines where shadows should go, etc)
2. What kind of style do you think this is? I have always tried to lean towards realism, but still working on it. I am self taught, so hence my confusion.
3. Line art...yes or no? I really like lineless art, but what do you guys think? Should I focus on line art and then slowly transition to lineless once I get better with color?
4. What can I change to make this babe better?
5. Any recommendations on art programs (I use Krita) or suggestions on how to give her a more realistic feel?
hmmm.
1: i think you could sketch out where the shadows go after recognizing where the light source(s) is/are.
2: im not too good with styles myself but it does seem pretty realistic... i think.
3: i think transitioning from line art to colored line art to lineless is the way to go. it gives you a better idea of how it's supposed to look... and it gives you time to practice.
4: i really dont know. i cant even draw dragons like that... just keep practicing different angles.
5: i use Sai Tool. it has a lot of potential and if you use it right, you can make amazing realistic pieces. i just use it however and im not really going anywhere fast. if you look up "Download sai tool free" on youtube, there should be a video or two where you can get it for free with a few custom brushes. make sure the comments say that it isnt spam or a virus.
:) i hope this helps. keep up the good work!
space 45727959_wjSLU10pqvydDyT.png?1645336354.png
Raven Mokian
FZqr7VJ.png
ePOliyb.png
Down to talk, trade, whatevs!
Only friend me if we've talked plz
6kCimue.gif
@Rainingsunshine

1) The sketch is fine if you're going for a lineless picture (since you're going to paint over it anyway). If you're doing a lined picture, the lines need to be smoother and cleaner.
2) Just... lineart style? Realism to me is fully rendered paintings (like from the old masters) so I wouldn't consider lineart realism. Objects don't have lines in real life.
3) The basis of any good picture is a good sketch. Whether you keep the lines or not in the final picture doesn't matter. There are pros and cons to both styles and it really comes down to what you prefer. I find lineart horribly tedious, so I just paint everything. Other artists have trouble building up forms and adding texture, so lineart is easier for them. Everyone has their own preferences.
4) The spikes on the head are inconsistent. The two spikes at the back are a different style than the ones up front. I would redraw them and make them all the same shape. The horns are also asymmetrical.
5) Krita is fine. I know a lot of artists who make fantastic pictures with it, it's also free and open source which is always a bonus. Frankly, the program doesn't matter so much as how you use it. Some people like program A, other people like program B. It all comes down to which program is the easiest for you and works for your artwork.

If you're looking for programs though, I've heard a lot of good things about Clip Studio. You can get a free trial from the company that made it here: http://www.clipstudio.net/en/purchase/trial
@Rainingsunshine

1) The sketch is fine if you're going for a lineless picture (since you're going to paint over it anyway). If you're doing a lined picture, the lines need to be smoother and cleaner.
2) Just... lineart style? Realism to me is fully rendered paintings (like from the old masters) so I wouldn't consider lineart realism. Objects don't have lines in real life.
3) The basis of any good picture is a good sketch. Whether you keep the lines or not in the final picture doesn't matter. There are pros and cons to both styles and it really comes down to what you prefer. I find lineart horribly tedious, so I just paint everything. Other artists have trouble building up forms and adding texture, so lineart is easier for them. Everyone has their own preferences.
4) The spikes on the head are inconsistent. The two spikes at the back are a different style than the ones up front. I would redraw them and make them all the same shape. The horns are also asymmetrical.
5) Krita is fine. I know a lot of artists who make fantastic pictures with it, it's also free and open source which is always a bonus. Frankly, the program doesn't matter so much as how you use it. Some people like program A, other people like program B. It all comes down to which program is the easiest for you and works for your artwork.

If you're looking for programs though, I've heard a lot of good things about Clip Studio. You can get a free trial from the company that made it here: http://www.clipstudio.net/en/purchase/trial
@Rainingsunshine
You know, if you have a tablet most likely you have a 'code' that comes with your tablet that you can use to get a free art program.
I used my tablet and had a choice between Clip Studio Paint, ZBrush and Anime studio pro.
I chose CSP, since the program is very similar to Photoshop. You can even animate in it!
If you want to draw a bit more realisticly I would recomend doing an animation like walk cycle or similar, it gets that anatomy in your head. Also use references, references, references....
@Rainingsunshine
You know, if you have a tablet most likely you have a 'code' that comes with your tablet that you can use to get a free art program.
I used my tablet and had a choice between Clip Studio Paint, ZBrush and Anime studio pro.
I chose CSP, since the program is very similar to Photoshop. You can even animate in it!
If you want to draw a bit more realisticly I would recomend doing an animation like walk cycle or similar, it gets that anatomy in your head. Also use references, references, references....
rsz_1rsz_screenshot_2018-02-16-23-04-32-1.png
Keep going and you'll get there!
Keep going and you'll get there!
rsz_1rsz_screenshot_2018-02-16-23-04-32-1.png
@Mintis @blazingpheonix01 @aboveclouds @Delta8

Thank you all for taking time to answer my questions!!! I am working on a colored piece now, I will probably post it later for more critique! I appreciate all of your kind and informative answers!!!
@Mintis @blazingpheonix01 @aboveclouds @Delta8

Thank you all for taking time to answer my questions!!! I am working on a colored piece now, I will probably post it later for more critique! I appreciate all of your kind and informative answers!!!
Ok! I need critique on this....Colors, shading, background, advice please T.T Sorry for all the tags lol @mintis @blazingpheonix01 @aboveclouds @delta8 @jufnaty [img]https://img00.deviantart.net/36f4/i/2018/048/8/2/tulan___commission_by_flawlezfalcon-dc3hya9.jpg[/img]
Ok! I need critique on this....Colors, shading, background, advice please T.T Sorry for all the tags lol @mintis @blazingpheonix01 @aboveclouds @delta8 @jufnaty
tulan___commission_by_flawlezfalcon-dc3hya9.jpg
1 2