Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Help me improve my lore!
Heya, So i just finished my clan lore and lore for my first five dragons. Could you read it and tell me how to improve it? (Apart from mother's, i didn't write it) I'm trying to go for a kind of insane asylum theme? All the dragons that I've written lore for are insane or just not right in some way. Also,any ways that I could make my lore more creepy or horror- like would be appreciated! It would be a massive help!
Thanks so much!
Heya, So i just finished my clan lore and lore for my first five dragons. Could you read it and tell me how to improve it? (Apart from mother's, i didn't write it) I'm trying to go for a kind of insane asylum theme? All the dragons that I've written lore for are insane or just not right in some way. Also,any ways that I could make my lore more creepy or horror- like would be appreciated! It would be a massive help!
Thanks so much!
:D
buuuummmmpmppmpmpmp
buuuummmmpmppmpmpmp
@P4810
Holy hECK, my heart is beating 900mph? Is that even possible?
If you were going for a creepy, off-setting theme, you accomplished it! I am going to critique your writing, but a.) I need a while to just...process it? and b.) I would recommend breaking up your general clan lore (the one on your profile page) into more manageable paragraphs/sections. And you spelled"Sornieth" "Sorineth" somewhere.
Like I said, I'll try to critique soon, but it might take a little while...
@P4810
Holy hECK, my heart is beating 900mph? Is that even possible?
If you were going for a creepy, off-setting theme, you accomplished it! I am going to critique your writing, but a.) I need a while to just...process it? and b.) I would recommend breaking up your general clan lore (the one on your profile page) into more manageable paragraphs/sections. And you spelled"Sornieth" "Sorineth" somewhere.
Like I said, I'll try to critique soon, but it might take a little while...
@Dragonatist24 Omg Thank you so much! That's the kind of reaction I was hoping to get :D Also thanks for the critiques now, I can't spell for my life XD
@Dragonatist24 Omg Thank you so much! That's the kind of reaction I was hoping to get :D Also thanks for the critiques now, I can't spell for my life XD
I like the idea of your hospital! It's interesting and it has potential. The clan lore on your front page was fun to read through, although I do think you could've described the environment around the hospital a bit more. Perhaps you can describe the journey 'you' took to get there, like hiking through a forest or trekking over a mountain.

You captured the rushed feeling of everything quite well too. All I really have to say is that you really need to add in more paragraphs since it really is easy to lose your spot while reading it. Perhaps you can add a bit more character to the other scientists, such as describing one maybe being serious, another annoyed, maybe one excited.

As for the characters you have written about, it's good. I think that most of it is fine, but some can be improved. I'll go through each one in short.

Mother
I see that you're trying to give Mother a creepy overprotective vibe in her bio. You achieve that at the end, but up until then she feels more like a comedy character. Also, her title is 'Cannibal'. In your other bios, you've given a hint as to why they're titled that in their bio, but I don't see that anywhere in Mother's. I suggest adding a bit to the end where you imply that she eats other dragons (e.g. what does she do to dragons that try to escape?).

Gavis
I really like this one. I love how you make it tie to the beginning at the end of his bio, so it seems like he's in an inescapable loop. That's good. There is a grammar mistake with a capital letter in there, and you can add in some commas or full stops, but otherwise there aren't any small mistakes. I don't really know what you can add to it, so well done on that bio!

Coriander
This one is cliche. Sorry, but Coriander is quite a shallow character about how she simply loves killing others because of a feeling inside of her, or how she laughs uncontrollably. You need to add more development to her so as to explain why she gets this itching feeling, such as in her past or after an experiment.

Does she feel some sort of release after murdering a dragon? Payback? Happiness? Pushing something back inside of her? Why does she yearn for it? Why does she like to draw shapes with blood? You need to explain her motives if you want to make Coriander more than just your regular serial killer that has gone crazy. A dragon doesn't start murdering for pleasure for no reason.

As for the bit with her murdering the hatchling, I feel like that was slightly rushed. I'm not saying to go into detail (since that's against the ToS probably), but he feels like just a thing that was there just to demonstrate that Coriander kills everything. Why was he allowed to be with her if she is so dangerous?

Sorry if that made you feel a bit bad. I just think that Coriander needs a lot of development if you want her to have a real impact on the reader. Try making her more 'real'. That way it'll make the reader feel possibly disturbed.

Pakhet
I like Pakhet's original story. The story leading up to her downfall was interesting to read. However, when you started saying that she decided to use the blood of adventurers to use for magic, that got a bit confusing. If Pakhet is a god, why does she need the abilities of mortals? Do the abilities combine to make something stronger that she can use? I feel like it's redundant for her to collect abilities of strangers to use for herself when you said before that she was incredibly powerful. Does she have a pact with a being that will allow her to be stronger than the Shade?

Right now Pakhet feels more like a regular dragon who turned to the dark side than a creepy thing (and you said that you want the horror feeling throughout your bios). Perhaps you can describe her change of personality as she gained more power through blood magic. Maybe make her kind and caring, but have her become just a bit more insensitive after each ritual she performs with blood magic.

Cyrus
I quite like Cyrus' story. It's a good story you've written. However there is one thing that I want to point out. I don't think that you should use the word 'vaccine' in the later part. Perhaps 'cure' or 'drug' would be better. A vaccine is used to prevent diseases, so it would be ineffective for the scientist to test a vaccine on an already infected dragon.

Hopefully this helped you out a bit. Sorry if it was a bit harsh, but I just want to point out what I feel like you need to improve to make it better. I feel like you have great potential to make a really interesting story! You've already written some good pieces~

Just make sure to step back and read through it and see if you feel the emotion that you're aiming to achieve. Take a break and read it, then you have a clean mind that isn't focused about writing the bio.

Edit: Whoops, this was a bit longer than I thought it'd be. Sorry about that.
I like the idea of your hospital! It's interesting and it has potential. The clan lore on your front page was fun to read through, although I do think you could've described the environment around the hospital a bit more. Perhaps you can describe the journey 'you' took to get there, like hiking through a forest or trekking over a mountain.

You captured the rushed feeling of everything quite well too. All I really have to say is that you really need to add in more paragraphs since it really is easy to lose your spot while reading it. Perhaps you can add a bit more character to the other scientists, such as describing one maybe being serious, another annoyed, maybe one excited.

As for the characters you have written about, it's good. I think that most of it is fine, but some can be improved. I'll go through each one in short.

Mother
I see that you're trying to give Mother a creepy overprotective vibe in her bio. You achieve that at the end, but up until then she feels more like a comedy character. Also, her title is 'Cannibal'. In your other bios, you've given a hint as to why they're titled that in their bio, but I don't see that anywhere in Mother's. I suggest adding a bit to the end where you imply that she eats other dragons (e.g. what does she do to dragons that try to escape?).

Gavis
I really like this one. I love how you make it tie to the beginning at the end of his bio, so it seems like he's in an inescapable loop. That's good. There is a grammar mistake with a capital letter in there, and you can add in some commas or full stops, but otherwise there aren't any small mistakes. I don't really know what you can add to it, so well done on that bio!

Coriander
This one is cliche. Sorry, but Coriander is quite a shallow character about how she simply loves killing others because of a feeling inside of her, or how she laughs uncontrollably. You need to add more development to her so as to explain why she gets this itching feeling, such as in her past or after an experiment.

Does she feel some sort of release after murdering a dragon? Payback? Happiness? Pushing something back inside of her? Why does she yearn for it? Why does she like to draw shapes with blood? You need to explain her motives if you want to make Coriander more than just your regular serial killer that has gone crazy. A dragon doesn't start murdering for pleasure for no reason.

As for the bit with her murdering the hatchling, I feel like that was slightly rushed. I'm not saying to go into detail (since that's against the ToS probably), but he feels like just a thing that was there just to demonstrate that Coriander kills everything. Why was he allowed to be with her if she is so dangerous?

Sorry if that made you feel a bit bad. I just think that Coriander needs a lot of development if you want her to have a real impact on the reader. Try making her more 'real'. That way it'll make the reader feel possibly disturbed.

Pakhet
I like Pakhet's original story. The story leading up to her downfall was interesting to read. However, when you started saying that she decided to use the blood of adventurers to use for magic, that got a bit confusing. If Pakhet is a god, why does she need the abilities of mortals? Do the abilities combine to make something stronger that she can use? I feel like it's redundant for her to collect abilities of strangers to use for herself when you said before that she was incredibly powerful. Does she have a pact with a being that will allow her to be stronger than the Shade?

Right now Pakhet feels more like a regular dragon who turned to the dark side than a creepy thing (and you said that you want the horror feeling throughout your bios). Perhaps you can describe her change of personality as she gained more power through blood magic. Maybe make her kind and caring, but have her become just a bit more insensitive after each ritual she performs with blood magic.

Cyrus
I quite like Cyrus' story. It's a good story you've written. However there is one thing that I want to point out. I don't think that you should use the word 'vaccine' in the later part. Perhaps 'cure' or 'drug' would be better. A vaccine is used to prevent diseases, so it would be ineffective for the scientist to test a vaccine on an already infected dragon.

Hopefully this helped you out a bit. Sorry if it was a bit harsh, but I just want to point out what I feel like you need to improve to make it better. I feel like you have great potential to make a really interesting story! You've already written some good pieces~

Just make sure to step back and read through it and see if you feel the emotion that you're aiming to achieve. Take a break and read it, then you have a clean mind that isn't focused about writing the bio.

Edit: Whoops, this was a bit longer than I thought it'd be. Sorry about that.
@P4810

Just a general note, you say that these are all in a hospital. How did they end up in that mental hospital? Cyrus could have been brought there, but the rest are all very unclear.

Mother:
The "cannibal" bit is a little unclear in her lore. There's little hints, like in "Mother loves baking. And eating", but I wouldn't have gotten it unless there was the "a cannibal?" in the heading. Perhaps you could talk about what happens to the dragons that cross Mother? What about the ones that try to escape? Have there been any actual (successful) escapees, and why would they escape? (I recommend making it easy to infer that she ate them, but to not state it outright.)

Gavis:
I liked how most of the italicization had no punctuation. It really helped give off that desperate feeling. The way the beginning and ending were connected was very interesting, but also heart-breaking. Unlike some of the other dragons' lore, this is quite clearly not his decision to be like this, which makes it that more heartbreaking. The only main problem I have is: why the clan has a basin of water by his bed when you make it clear that this has happened before/they're used to it? If this has happened multiple times already, surely they would have figured out a better system of making sure that he had fresh water? Also, now my hands have this weird tingling/sweating feeling. Thank you for that.

Coriander:
I'm sorry if this was rude, but did you actually search up the possible mind-sets of serial killers? If you didn't, I highly recommend it. For most serial killers, there's usually a reason, like power. Very few are actually what most would call "crazy." I'm not going to get any deeper (mods, admins, ToS, etc.), but I would recommend just looking around and see if you can round out Coriander into a little bit more then "blood-thirsty insane killer" trope. Also, the baby dragon kind of felt more like a plot device than an actual caring creature that we were supposed to feel empathy for. Yes, it is a baby, so that does stir up some emotional response, but show it moving, talking (babbling? How old is it, exactly?), trying to fly, etc. If you are going to go the "insane" route, maybe show Coriander trying to care for it before succumbing to her urges? The lore also had a few grammatical mistakes, but I'm going to put that on a separate post.

Pakhet:
I feel like her lore is familiar? Did I critique it before? The only real problem I have with it is that it isn't really "creepy." I'm not too sure what you could do to improve it, but maybe focus more on how the blood rituals are affecting her mind? Maybe elaborate more on the rituals? (Be careful if you go that route, don't want you to get banned for writing something a bit too gory). Or you could perhaps create a stronger dichotomy between her mind before the war and after?

Cyrus:
The difference between his actual surroundings and the way his mind decided to 'protect' him (I guess) was really interesting! I would recommend perhaps heightening the contrast? Make his mind more welcoming, show some other dragons (friends, father, grandparents, maybe he had some hatchlings, or his clan leader comforting him?). Elaborate a bit more on what his mother talked about, too? Show him talking to her about that knitting pattern she was working on, their herb garden that they started when he was a hatchling, that time she took him outside and they watched shooting stars fall. Make her seem kind to present an even greater contrast over the dragon that ran away from her own son because she didn't want to get infected too. Also, the vaccine bit seemed a bit rushed? It takes a little while for a human's mind to regress, and it's canon that dragons are hardier than humans. Maybe make it the tenth or eleventh vaccine before he starts talking to the dragons in his mind?

I''m going to go wash my hands now. I'll talk about grammar in a little while. :)
If you feel offended by anything I said, please let me know.
@P4810

Just a general note, you say that these are all in a hospital. How did they end up in that mental hospital? Cyrus could have been brought there, but the rest are all very unclear.

Mother:
The "cannibal" bit is a little unclear in her lore. There's little hints, like in "Mother loves baking. And eating", but I wouldn't have gotten it unless there was the "a cannibal?" in the heading. Perhaps you could talk about what happens to the dragons that cross Mother? What about the ones that try to escape? Have there been any actual (successful) escapees, and why would they escape? (I recommend making it easy to infer that she ate them, but to not state it outright.)

Gavis:
I liked how most of the italicization had no punctuation. It really helped give off that desperate feeling. The way the beginning and ending were connected was very interesting, but also heart-breaking. Unlike some of the other dragons' lore, this is quite clearly not his decision to be like this, which makes it that more heartbreaking. The only main problem I have is: why the clan has a basin of water by his bed when you make it clear that this has happened before/they're used to it? If this has happened multiple times already, surely they would have figured out a better system of making sure that he had fresh water? Also, now my hands have this weird tingling/sweating feeling. Thank you for that.

Coriander:
I'm sorry if this was rude, but did you actually search up the possible mind-sets of serial killers? If you didn't, I highly recommend it. For most serial killers, there's usually a reason, like power. Very few are actually what most would call "crazy." I'm not going to get any deeper (mods, admins, ToS, etc.), but I would recommend just looking around and see if you can round out Coriander into a little bit more then "blood-thirsty insane killer" trope. Also, the baby dragon kind of felt more like a plot device than an actual caring creature that we were supposed to feel empathy for. Yes, it is a baby, so that does stir up some emotional response, but show it moving, talking (babbling? How old is it, exactly?), trying to fly, etc. If you are going to go the "insane" route, maybe show Coriander trying to care for it before succumbing to her urges? The lore also had a few grammatical mistakes, but I'm going to put that on a separate post.

Pakhet:
I feel like her lore is familiar? Did I critique it before? The only real problem I have with it is that it isn't really "creepy." I'm not too sure what you could do to improve it, but maybe focus more on how the blood rituals are affecting her mind? Maybe elaborate more on the rituals? (Be careful if you go that route, don't want you to get banned for writing something a bit too gory). Or you could perhaps create a stronger dichotomy between her mind before the war and after?

Cyrus:
The difference between his actual surroundings and the way his mind decided to 'protect' him (I guess) was really interesting! I would recommend perhaps heightening the contrast? Make his mind more welcoming, show some other dragons (friends, father, grandparents, maybe he had some hatchlings, or his clan leader comforting him?). Elaborate a bit more on what his mother talked about, too? Show him talking to her about that knitting pattern she was working on, their herb garden that they started when he was a hatchling, that time she took him outside and they watched shooting stars fall. Make her seem kind to present an even greater contrast over the dragon that ran away from her own son because she didn't want to get infected too. Also, the vaccine bit seemed a bit rushed? It takes a little while for a human's mind to regress, and it's canon that dragons are hardier than humans. Maybe make it the tenth or eleventh vaccine before he starts talking to the dragons in his mind?

I''m going to go wash my hands now. I'll talk about grammar in a little while. :)
If you feel offended by anything I said, please let me know.
@Dragonartist24 Thank you so much! This is incredible! I'm definitely going to take everything into account. Also it wasn't harsh at all! I only stated writing recently so this has been a huge help!

@PuffyRuffy I only just saw your post and wow! Thanks so much! Again, I'm going to try to take all of your ideas into account. Again, it wasn't too harsh! It's just what I need to improve :D

Again, thank you both! I'm going to need to sit down and just write lol. :D
@Dragonartist24 Thank you so much! This is incredible! I'm definitely going to take everything into account. Also it wasn't harsh at all! I only stated writing recently so this has been a huge help!

@PuffyRuffy I only just saw your post and wow! Thanks so much! Again, I'm going to try to take all of your ideas into account. Again, it wasn't too harsh! It's just what I need to improve :D

Again, thank you both! I'm going to need to sit down and just write lol. :D