Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers of February!
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17
@dotdedo
That subspecies actually sounds really cool! I wish you luck in finishing it!

@Petall
I can work on getting some pictures together today, but none of them are really that impressive yet. One, at least, was probably sturdier as a paperback than it is now...

Uh... Yeah... So I'm rewriting the NaNo draft of it (one of my friends just referred to it as 'draft zero' and that seems fairly appropriate) into a proper first draft that I can work on, show to people, get feedback on, etc. But I'm not very far through that yet.
@dotdedo
That subspecies actually sounds really cool! I wish you luck in finishing it!

@Petall
I can work on getting some pictures together today, but none of them are really that impressive yet. One, at least, was probably sturdier as a paperback than it is now...

Uh... Yeah... So I'm rewriting the NaNo draft of it (one of my friends just referred to it as 'draft zero' and that seems fairly appropriate) into a proper first draft that I can work on, show to people, get feedback on, etc. But I'm not very far through that yet.
@ScrivenerRook

Well, I still think it's a really cool hobby and I'd love to see the progress you've made, even if it's only a little progress so far!

Oh wow, that sounds like a lot! Well, I wish you luck on pulling it all together! It sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you.
@ScrivenerRook

Well, I still think it's a really cool hobby and I'd love to see the progress you've made, even if it's only a little progress so far!

Oh wow, that sounds like a lot! Well, I wish you luck on pulling it all together! It sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall
Oh, of course it is. And good fun, too. Okay. Let's see here... You can scroll through some pics here.
Clicky!

Thanks. I think I'm gonna need it. Where abouts are you in the process of getting yours together?
@Petall
Oh, of course it is. And good fun, too. Okay. Let's see here... You can scroll through some pics here.
Clicky!

Thanks. I think I'm gonna need it. Where abouts are you in the process of getting yours together?
@ScrivenerRook

That looks so cool!!! How hard is book binding? I think it might be fun to try.

I have just written the prologue of my first draft! Well, it's technically the second draft and I never finished my original draft, but the story wasn't really going anywhere and my main character just didn't want to do anything so I was pushing her everywhere so I had to change a few things about her and the way I was starting the story and try again.
@ScrivenerRook

That looks so cool!!! How hard is book binding? I think it might be fun to try.

I have just written the prologue of my first draft! Well, it's technically the second draft and I never finished my original draft, but the story wasn't really going anywhere and my main character just didn't want to do anything so I was pushing her everywhere so I had to change a few things about her and the way I was starting the story and try again.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall
The hardest part seems to be getting everything measured and cut precisely. If things aren't squared up well or (can't tell if this is failure on my part or my equipment since I'm working with some super hacked together stuff) possibly if your equipment isn't up to snuff, it seems like it can get a bit tricky? Understand, too, that part of my difficulty is that I'm trying to rebind paperbacks which, from everything I've been reading, is a touch more difficult than making new books. A lot of my struggles since I got some square rulers and paper cutters and things have been in trying to get the spine to withstand being a spine. That wouldn't necessarily be a problem if you were doing a sewn spine on a brand new book block. Perfect- or glue-bound books are naturally less sturdy than sewn ones. I'll dig around and see if I can't refind some of the sites I've been looking at.

Edit: I'll keep digging for everything (though I also checked a couple books and a video out of the library and read those, so...), but I did find these again.
A bookbinding tutorial - For blank books, but the concepts of putting together the cover itself and mounting the book block (pages) into the cover is pretty much the same for a blank block or a printed one.
A binder's blog - I read several of their posts when I was doing my initial research into what I needed and such. I've been meaning to go back and reread several of them now that I'm actively trying.
@Petall
The hardest part seems to be getting everything measured and cut precisely. If things aren't squared up well or (can't tell if this is failure on my part or my equipment since I'm working with some super hacked together stuff) possibly if your equipment isn't up to snuff, it seems like it can get a bit tricky? Understand, too, that part of my difficulty is that I'm trying to rebind paperbacks which, from everything I've been reading, is a touch more difficult than making new books. A lot of my struggles since I got some square rulers and paper cutters and things have been in trying to get the spine to withstand being a spine. That wouldn't necessarily be a problem if you were doing a sewn spine on a brand new book block. Perfect- or glue-bound books are naturally less sturdy than sewn ones. I'll dig around and see if I can't refind some of the sites I've been looking at.

Edit: I'll keep digging for everything (though I also checked a couple books and a video out of the library and read those, so...), but I did find these again.
A bookbinding tutorial - For blank books, but the concepts of putting together the cover itself and mounting the book block (pages) into the cover is pretty much the same for a blank block or a printed one.
A binder's blog - I read several of their posts when I was doing my initial research into what I needed and such. I've been meaning to go back and reread several of them now that I'm actively trying.
@ScrivenerRook

Thank you so much for the advice! That's really helpful!!! If I get the opportunity, I'll definitely have to give it a try! It sounds like a lot of work, bit it also sounds as though it's worthwhile work and like it'd be immensely satisfying when done right!

It would also be a very useful skill to have as I tend to reread books until they get too tattered to read anymore.
@ScrivenerRook

Thank you so much for the advice! That's really helpful!!! If I get the opportunity, I'll definitely have to give it a try! It sounds like a lot of work, bit it also sounds as though it's worthwhile work and like it'd be immensely satisfying when done right!

It would also be a very useful skill to have as I tend to reread books until they get too tattered to read anymore.
@Petall
Agreed. I do the same. See earlier comment about A Wrinkle in Time. That's the worst one on my shelf at the moment (or, not technically on my shelf as the case may be), but there are others that are starting to look a tad rough around the edges.

I'm going to look next at trying to straight up reglue the spines to help keep them together? Because some way or another I need to find a way to give the poor spines more strength and stability. It's the weak point still by a loooong margin.

And hey, if you do give it a shot, you'll have to share pictures. I'd love to have a binding buddy!
@Petall
Agreed. I do the same. See earlier comment about A Wrinkle in Time. That's the worst one on my shelf at the moment (or, not technically on my shelf as the case may be), but there are others that are starting to look a tad rough around the edges.

I'm going to look next at trying to straight up reglue the spines to help keep them together? Because some way or another I need to find a way to give the poor spines more strength and stability. It's the weak point still by a loooong margin.

And hey, if you do give it a shot, you'll have to share pictures. I'd love to have a binding buddy!
@ScrivenerRook

Let me know how things work as you try different tactics! It would be good to know!

I probably won't be able to actually try book binding until I get home in July, but I definitely want to give it a try and when I do give it a try, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes/send you pictures!
@ScrivenerRook

Let me know how things work as you try different tactics! It would be good to know!

I probably won't be able to actually try book binding until I get home in July, but I definitely want to give it a try and when I do give it a try, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes/send you pictures!
@Petall
Yes, absolutely. I might try to do a better job of documenting my next project, the steps I take and such like. If you want to see my adventure, just let me know.

And sure, that makes sense. I tremble in anticipation!
@Petall
Yes, absolutely. I might try to do a better job of documenting my next project, the steps I take and such like. If you want to see my adventure, just let me know.

And sure, that makes sense. I tremble in anticipation!
@ScrivenerRook

I'd absolutely love to see it!!! :D
@ScrivenerRook

I'd absolutely love to see it!!! :D
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17