Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [IC] Lore - Short Stories, Headcanons
I'm a passionate lore writer who loves to brainstorm ideas for a wide variety of dragon characters, and I've been wondering if anyone in the FR community would be interested in commissioning me to write lore for them. Here are several examples of my lore writing: [quote][i]Despite her adventurous career, which most dragons would assume involves frequent contact with hatchlings and their parents, Sinead avoids, to an extreme degree, any hatchlings are too young to read and communicate properly for themselves. Some hatchlings used to gravitate towards her comforting presence like a magnet, whispering amongst themselves as they listened, keen and curious, to Sinead's wild tales of adventure. They would squeal, laugh, cry, and even cuddle up in the warm embrace of Sinead's mane of fur--feeling a range of different emotions, but lavishing her stories all the same. Other hatchlings, however, were...mischievous, to say at the very least. Unbeknownst to Sinead, young ruffians would spread gossip, pick on each other, and tear up her most beloved of books while the well behaved were engrossed in their stories. One particular Bogsneak staged a most malicious trick in which as Sinead was telling a tale of the horrors of the Plaguebringer and her Wyrmwound, he stuffed a hideous, reeking, rotting...[i]thing[/i] into Sinead's line of back fur--and then seemingly disappeared in an instant. A petite, polite Spiral quietly noted, 'Uh...I think there's something on your back." Sinead felt for the foreign object with the tip of her tail, and presented it up to the audience to reveal...the frail, broken corpse of a Carrioncorn, it's flesh very likely infected with countless diseases. Sinead grimaced; and in a moment, the audience had disappeared with a shriek of dismay. To this day, Sinead is still wary of even the most polite of hatchlings. The incident was interesting--no doubt about that--but she could not risk her wonderful stories of wonder and awe sweeping throughout Sornieth at the expense of a child. [/quote] [quote] Dawn gently pulled a slice of dripping blue honeycomb out of the thrumming hive, flicking her wings and inhaling the fresh spring air as if she had no care in the world. She gasped as she saw the queen, who had grown bigger than ever before; and the peculiar reflections glinting off the surface of the honey. Warm weather, abundant honey, and beautiful scenery--what more could a dragon want? A rustling issued from the bushes, and the sharp talons of a Wildclaw pierced the delicate muscles of her ankle, pinning her to the ground before she even had the chance to squeak a word. "You damned freak," the Wildclaw drawled. "You are under arrest for the release of thousands of genetically modified and extremely dangerous hornets from a laboratory!" [/quote] [quote]Moira's chest heaved in quick, laboured breaths as she tried to divert her attention for the millionth time[i] away[/i] from the ominous droning noise slowly towards the direction of the Rock. She knew that squalls rumbling at the peak of the Tempest Spire were an everyday occurrence; no sensible employee would bat an eyelid at that. But Moira, being a citizen of the Shifting Expanse, was certain that this wasn't any thunderstorm. It was growing louder than ever before. So loud, in fact, that she was beginning to feel something [i]pop[/i] in her eardrums. She sprinted on, harder and stronger, faster and nimbler, before a horrific smell of melting flesh and a million flashes of blinding light took over her senses. [/quote] [quote]Upon heading further south, Pioneer found a lush garden, abundant in palms and hibiscus. Several rustic bungalows stood behind the garden, an immediate sign that other dragons had explored this place before her. Any other day she would have politely declined any offers of hospitality and moved on with her wilderness quest; but something about the little village drew her in. Whether it was the hubbub of avian chatter or the smell of a delicious meal cooking inside, she did not know. She clicked her talons on the leaf-adorned door, and stepped inside to a room full of odd new faces. As she strolled in, [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=194671&tab=dragon&did=17302686]the maw of a heavily scarred Ridgeback[/url] scowled in her direction, and Pioneer almost sprung up to the ceiling in shock. Fortunately, [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=194671&tab=dragon&did=18519292]a gentle Guardian[/url] took the Spiral under her wing, and reassured Pioneer that the Ridgeback was just very wary of strangers. Of course, Pioneer knew there was much, much more to it than that. But with the abundance of fresh jungle bugs served to her every day and a comfortable nest to sleep in, Pioneer wouldn’t turn down the opportunity to relax for a while. After a few months, the fated day came. The spiral was investigating an unusually barren clearing from above when suddenly a flurry of wings rushed behind her. Among the flock was Kennocha, hurriedly making her way north. Shocked, Pioneer almost slammed into the Guardian’s side. Why on Sornieth would the dragons of the Sanctuary be leaving all of a sudden? When Pioneer asked why they were doing this, Kennocha simply stated, [i][b]“Soon, we will be the greatest centre of scientific advancement in all of Sornieth.”[/i] [/b]And Pioneer’s eyes grew wide as dinner plates. She had never known Kennocha to be interested in any sort of science. Or to act like a complete cuckoo, for that matter! She had thoroughly enjoyed her time at the Sanctuary, but abandoning it for such a lofty ambition was simply too much. As she wearily turned away from the flock, a [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=194671&tab=dragon&did=21876176]dainty Wildclaw spoke.[/url] [i][b]“Never forget the power of the imagination, Pioneer. You’ll see.”[/b][/i][/quote] I'm obliging to write in a range of different styles, aside from what is shown here, such as longer bios and aesthetic descriptions. Alternatively, if you're seeking inspiration, I can write up ideas for your dragon's role, personality, interests, quirks, background, family, Myers-Briggs type, Hogwarts house, name, et cetera. I am not proficient in writing first or second POV, but I can give them a try if you want me to. If you're interested, let me know your opinion on how much I should price each type of writing (headcanon, mini scene capture, short story) An ideal rule of thumb is that the longer the piece of writing, the more work I put into it, and the more expensive it will be. Please note that I will likely only be opening a shop for lore commissions if this post gets substantial interest. I need input from FR players who have good knowledge of lore shop prices before I open my own shop, as I don't want to charge customers too much, or vice versa. Constructive criticism is welcome, as long as your feedback is conveyed in a respectful and civil manner that is intended to help me improve my writing.
I'm a passionate lore writer who loves to brainstorm ideas for a wide variety of dragon characters, and I've been wondering if anyone in the FR community would be interested in commissioning me to write lore for them. Here are several examples of my lore writing:
Quote:
Despite her adventurous career, which most dragons would assume involves frequent contact with hatchlings and their parents, Sinead avoids, to an extreme degree, any hatchlings are too young to read and communicate properly for themselves. Some hatchlings used to gravitate towards her comforting presence like a magnet, whispering amongst themselves as they listened, keen and curious, to Sinead's wild tales of adventure. They would squeal, laugh, cry, and even cuddle up in the warm embrace of Sinead's mane of fur--feeling a range of different emotions, but lavishing her stories all the same.

Other hatchlings, however, were...mischievous, to say at the very least. Unbeknownst to Sinead, young ruffians would spread gossip, pick on each other, and tear up her most beloved of books while the well behaved were engrossed in their stories. One particular Bogsneak staged a most malicious trick in which as Sinead was telling a tale of the horrors of the Plaguebringer and her Wyrmwound, he stuffed a hideous, reeking, rotting...thing into Sinead's line of back fur--and then seemingly disappeared in an instant. A petite, polite Spiral quietly noted, 'Uh...I think there's something on your back." Sinead felt for the foreign object with the tip of her tail, and presented it up to the audience to reveal...the frail, broken corpse of a Carrioncorn, it's flesh very likely infected with countless diseases. Sinead grimaced; and in a moment, the audience had disappeared with a shriek of dismay.

To this day, Sinead is still wary of even the most polite of hatchlings. The incident was interesting--no doubt about that--but she could not risk her wonderful stories of wonder and awe sweeping throughout Sornieth at the expense of a child.
Quote:
Dawn gently pulled a slice of dripping blue honeycomb out of the thrumming hive, flicking her wings and inhaling the fresh spring air as if she had no care in the world. She gasped as she saw the queen, who had grown bigger than ever before; and the peculiar reflections glinting off the surface of the honey. Warm weather, abundant honey, and beautiful scenery--what more could a dragon want?
A rustling issued from the bushes, and the sharp talons of a Wildclaw pierced the delicate muscles of her ankle, pinning her to the ground before she even had the chance to squeak a word.
"You damned freak," the Wildclaw drawled. "You are under arrest for the release of thousands of genetically modified and extremely dangerous hornets from a laboratory!"
Quote:
Moira's chest heaved in quick, laboured breaths as she tried to divert her attention for the millionth time away from the ominous droning noise slowly towards the direction of the Rock. She knew that squalls rumbling at the peak of the Tempest Spire were an everyday occurrence; no sensible employee would bat an eyelid at that. But Moira, being a citizen of the Shifting Expanse, was certain that this wasn't any thunderstorm. It was growing louder than ever before. So loud, in fact, that she was beginning to feel something pop in her eardrums. She sprinted on, harder and stronger, faster and nimbler, before a horrific smell of melting flesh and a million flashes of blinding light took over her senses.
Quote:
Upon heading further south, Pioneer found a lush garden, abundant in palms and hibiscus. Several rustic bungalows stood behind the garden, an immediate sign that other dragons had explored this place before her. Any other day she would have politely declined any offers of hospitality and moved on with her wilderness quest; but something about the little village drew her in. Whether it was the hubbub of avian chatter or the smell of a delicious meal cooking inside, she did not know. She clicked her talons on the leaf-adorned door, and stepped inside to a room full of odd new faces. As she strolled in, the maw of a heavily scarred Ridgeback scowled in her direction, and Pioneer almost sprung up to the ceiling in shock. Fortunately, a gentle Guardian took the Spiral under her wing, and reassured Pioneer that the Ridgeback was just very wary of strangers. Of course, Pioneer knew there was much, much more to it than that. But with the abundance of fresh jungle bugs served to her every day and a comfortable nest to sleep in, Pioneer wouldn’t turn down the opportunity to relax for a while.

After a few months, the fated day came. The spiral was investigating an unusually barren clearing from above when suddenly a flurry of wings rushed behind her. Among the flock was Kennocha, hurriedly making her way north. Shocked, Pioneer almost slammed into the Guardian’s side. Why on Sornieth would the dragons of the Sanctuary be leaving all of a sudden? When Pioneer asked why they were doing this, Kennocha simply stated, “Soon, we will be the greatest centre of scientific advancement in all of Sornieth.” And Pioneer’s eyes grew wide as dinner plates. She had never known Kennocha to be interested in any sort of science. Or to act like a complete cuckoo, for that matter! She had thoroughly enjoyed her time at the Sanctuary, but abandoning it for such a lofty ambition was simply too much. As she wearily turned away from the flock, a dainty Wildclaw spoke. “Never forget the power of the imagination, Pioneer. You’ll see.”

I'm obliging to write in a range of different styles, aside from what is shown here, such as longer bios and aesthetic descriptions. Alternatively, if you're seeking inspiration, I can write up ideas for your dragon's role, personality, interests, quirks, background, family, Myers-Briggs type, Hogwarts house, name, et cetera. I am not proficient in writing first or second POV, but I can give them a try if you want me to.

If you're interested, let me know your opinion on how much I should price each type of writing (headcanon, mini scene capture, short story) An ideal rule of thumb is that the longer the piece of writing, the more work I put into it, and the more expensive it will be. Please note that I will likely only be opening a shop for lore commissions if this post gets substantial interest. I need input from FR players who have good knowledge of lore shop prices before I open my own shop, as I don't want to charge customers too much, or vice versa.

Constructive criticism is welcome, as long as your feedback is conveyed in a respectful and civil manner that is intended to help me improve my writing.
Quetzal - 22 - Any Pronouns - Autistic - GLaDOS fan- Sci-Fi Artist and Writer
Anyone interested?
Anyone interested?
@QuetzalQueen say, you wanna write some more for one or two of my dragons? I'm not too good with it, and you seem quite skilled!

Do you have a set price?
@QuetzalQueen say, you wanna write some more for one or two of my dragons? I'm not too good with it, and you seem quite skilled!

Do you have a set price?
Toast/Dragon ~ they/xe ~ panromantic demisexual ~ 19
avid roleplayer ~ pageti sass
attempting at arting ~ definitely the void?
i have a cat named Cypher ~ genderfluid mess (transmasc!)
3 hours+ FR time ~ active each day- pings usually answered!
"thank you Craig for ratting us out"
@DragonSeeker
Aw, thank you! ^^ Postive feedback on my writing always means a lot to me.

I don't have a set price for any of the types of writing, which is why I set up this thread to seek others' opinions on how much they think each style should cost in a commission. You're more than welcome to post the dragons you're interested in getting lore for, but at the moment, I'm only asking for advice on how much my lore should sell for, and I will only open a shop if my lore writing service gets a significant amount of interest. Sorry if this is confusing; I should have clarified what I mean in the first post better.
@DragonSeeker
Aw, thank you! ^^ Postive feedback on my writing always means a lot to me.

I don't have a set price for any of the types of writing, which is why I set up this thread to seek others' opinions on how much they think each style should cost in a commission. You're more than welcome to post the dragons you're interested in getting lore for, but at the moment, I'm only asking for advice on how much my lore should sell for, and I will only open a shop if my lore writing service gets a significant amount of interest. Sorry if this is confusing; I should have clarified what I mean in the first post better.
@QuetzalQueen No problem! As a major writer, i tend to enjoy writing (I just can't write more haha) and reading stuff

I would say, depending on the length, anywhere from 20kT to 50kT would be reasonable.

EDIT: As for dragons, I don't really care which dragons have lore. Which ones sound interesting to you? I can choose if I need, but like I said, it doesn't really matter. :)
@QuetzalQueen No problem! As a major writer, i tend to enjoy writing (I just can't write more haha) and reading stuff

I would say, depending on the length, anywhere from 20kT to 50kT would be reasonable.

EDIT: As for dragons, I don't really care which dragons have lore. Which ones sound interesting to you? I can choose if I need, but like I said, it doesn't really matter. :)
@DragonSeeker
That sounds good! ShadeBreaker in particular looks like an intriguing dragon, as with his evocative apparel he reminds me of a Shadow ghost or spirit. Glitch, Wasabi, Cora, Katalli, Visa, and Foolsgold also catch my interest. Your lair has a great variety of interesting dragons!

I'll see how this thread goes, and let you know if I'm up for writing about your dragons. ^^
@DragonSeeker
That sounds good! ShadeBreaker in particular looks like an intriguing dragon, as with his evocative apparel he reminds me of a Shadow ghost or spirit. Glitch, Wasabi, Cora, Katalli, Visa, and Foolsgold also catch my interest. Your lair has a great variety of interesting dragons!

I'll see how this thread goes, and let you know if I'm up for writing about your dragons. ^^
@QuetzalQueen

Hello!

I'm sorta on the same page as DragonSeeker, 20kt to 50kt sounds rather fair. Though to be quite honest, I've never paid more than 35-40kt for lore on one dragon. Even just recently, I'm only paying 11Kt for lore + template.

As you said though, depending on what it is and the more work you have to put into it, the more expensive it would be.

So quite honestly, it would come down to what you think would be fair for your time and effort.

You could take a look at other lore shops and their prices, just to help get a better feel for what you think would be good as well.
@QuetzalQueen

Hello!

I'm sorta on the same page as DragonSeeker, 20kt to 50kt sounds rather fair. Though to be quite honest, I've never paid more than 35-40kt for lore on one dragon. Even just recently, I'm only paying 11Kt for lore + template.

As you said though, depending on what it is and the more work you have to put into it, the more expensive it would be.

So quite honestly, it would come down to what you think would be fair for your time and effort.

You could take a look at other lore shops and their prices, just to help get a better feel for what you think would be good as well.
@QuetzalQueen sweet! Thanks a bunch!
@QuetzalQueen sweet! Thanks a bunch!
@QuetzalQueen im totally interested! please ping me if you open up ^^
@QuetzalQueen im totally interested! please ping me if you open up ^^
89LCj77.pngvOw2pQ5.png