Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [RoR] Tales from the Wyrmwound OVER
1 2 3 4
Username: Amyatzu
Category: One-Liner
Word Count: 15
Title: Missing
Writing/Link to Writing:The blood was on my hands, and on her hands... gods, where were her hands?
Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Y
Username: Amyatzu
Word Count: 15
Title: Missing
Writing/Link to Writing:The blood was on my hands, and on her hands... gods, where were her hands?
Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Y
6Fwt9Qr.gifXXX

xxx
xxx

iuEBSJ3.png3YAN1tx.pngQRVupBA.png
yG0Lt9s.pngoK2VVlE.pngfT0qwQ5.png
xbsbPqT.pngbYt72YT.pngjQub7yI.png

Were you expecting a modicum of rust?
xxx
xxx
Username: MarinaQuakenbush
Word Count: 36

Title: Feast of Flesh

Writing/Link to Writing:

The sweet stench of a ripe dragon's carcass tickled his nares as he shredded through the corrupted flesh. But this was not the end, oh no, tonight he would dine again and it would be glorious.

Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Yes
Username: MarinaQuakenbush

Title: Feast of Flesh

Writing/Link to Writing:

The sweet stench of a ripe dragon's carcass tickled his nares as he shredded through the corrupted flesh. But this was not the end, oh no, tonight he would dine again and it would be glorious.

Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Yes
'blue smedium banner
Username: Nighttyger
Category: One-Liners
Word Count: 14
Title: Realization
Writing:

I never knew true fear until I saw myself crushing my little sister's windpipe.

Username: Nighttyger
Word Count: 14
Title: Realization
Writing:

I never knew true fear until I saw myself crushing my little sister's windpipe.

If you buy dragons from me to exalt, please name them first!
T5sUJyn.png
Username: Firedawn
Category: General Horror Story (I think? :))
Word Count: 308
Title: Mortem
Writing/Link to Writing:

His hands were shivering.

Heat steamed from his lukewarm coffee. A slow breath sucked in, and the cold blew out.

Children danced on the station. A gleeful laugh, a joyous smile, a merry whirl as if there were no care in the world, as if the dawn wasn’t lost, as if the dusk wasn’t cold.

The tracks of the train grew a frostbitten blue. He rubbed his hands and dug deeper into the cloth. A haze of warm mist blew leisurely in the wind.

The boy yelped as his feet stuck under him. He fell, and his companions laughed, and he climbed back up with a sheepish smile.

He exhaled a warm breath, and ran his fingers through his matted hair. Shadows cast in the waning light, dancing longingly over the barren station.

The girl grinned at her friend, and uttered words incoherent. She held out a bright red ball, and gestured them to play.

He took another sip, and warmth spilled into his throat. His scarf whipped in the deathly wind.

The boys laughed, but mockingly agreed. They began to dance, but this time with the red ball in stead.

He glared irritatingly at his watch. Tick-tock the time went, hands spinning in two directions. Not soon enough.

The taunting shadows danced over the rails, howling a hyena's laugh. The girl tripped, and off the ball went.

The clock hands span in a frenzy, but he had already looked back.

Their ball rolled under the railings, and into the train tracks.

Too late the boy ducked under and jumped onto the tracks.

Too late the engines screamed a warning.

Too late the children mourned.

And the cheerful boy jumped on the tracks,

And the grinning train chugged along.

The warmth had left. He sipped the cold that was left, and threw the cup away.

Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Y/N
Username: Firedawn
Category: General Horror Story (I think? :))
Word Count: 308
Title: Mortem
Writing/Link to Writing:

His hands were shivering.

Heat steamed from his lukewarm coffee. A slow breath sucked in, and the cold blew out.

Children danced on the station. A gleeful laugh, a joyous smile, a merry whirl as if there were no care in the world, as if the dawn wasn’t lost, as if the dusk wasn’t cold.

The tracks of the train grew a frostbitten blue. He rubbed his hands and dug deeper into the cloth. A haze of warm mist blew leisurely in the wind.

The boy yelped as his feet stuck under him. He fell, and his companions laughed, and he climbed back up with a sheepish smile.

He exhaled a warm breath, and ran his fingers through his matted hair. Shadows cast in the waning light, dancing longingly over the barren station.

The girl grinned at her friend, and uttered words incoherent. She held out a bright red ball, and gestured them to play.

He took another sip, and warmth spilled into his throat. His scarf whipped in the deathly wind.

The boys laughed, but mockingly agreed. They began to dance, but this time with the red ball in stead.

He glared irritatingly at his watch. Tick-tock the time went, hands spinning in two directions. Not soon enough.

The taunting shadows danced over the rails, howling a hyena's laugh. The girl tripped, and off the ball went.

The clock hands span in a frenzy, but he had already looked back.

Their ball rolled under the railings, and into the train tracks.

Too late the boy ducked under and jumped onto the tracks.

Too late the engines screamed a warning.

Too late the children mourned.

And the cheerful boy jumped on the tracks,

And the grinning train chugged along.

The warmth had left. He sipped the cold that was left, and threw the cup away.

Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Y/N
u2TWLA7.png
Username: Sylvandyr

Category: One-liner

Word Count: 17

Title: Slender Watchers

Writing/Link to Writing: Closer in your sleep, hidden in your waking hours, they linger in mirrors and never leave you.

Username: Sylvandyr

Category: One-liner

Word Count: 17

Title: Slender Watchers

Writing/Link to Writing: Closer in your sleep, hidden in your waking hours, they linger in mirrors and never leave you.

Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
Username: SommerBee
Title:The Noise in the Walls
Writing:

I awaken in the night to the sound of a familiar voice, screaming for help.
It sounds again, and I recognize the voice as my own.

Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Of course!

Username: SommerBee
Title:The Noise in the Walls
Writing:

I awaken in the night to the sound of a familiar voice, screaming for help.
It sounds again, and I recognize the voice as my own.

Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Of course!

Qpsus7P.pngDRg3gRE.png0edEIs6.pngNYbLrXm.pngTzaHawP.pngR827Sip.png
THE PLAGUE FLIGHT IS DOMINATING!
Username: Serelinda
Word Count: 22
Title: The Debtor
Writing/Link to Writing:

Through the keyhole it spied me—
but nowhere to hide me—
upon the cool linoleum I laid,
the blood-debt soon be paid.

Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread ? Of course. :)
Word Count: 22
Title: The Debtor
Writing/Link to Writing:

Through the keyhole it spied me—
but nowhere to hide me—
upon the cool linoleum I laid,
the blood-debt soon be paid.

Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread ? Of course. :)
EYhnjwN.png
Username: Josuuke
Category: Thriller
Word Count: 753
Title: I Was Never the Same
Writing/Link to Writing: below
Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Yes!

Trigger Warning

The room was smoky and hazed, speech seemed to merge with the musty fog. It smelled of abused incense, and it would've been unbearable, had you not been bound and trapped in the fog. The days were unknown to you, time was a lazy stream that drifted through your fingers like sand, but you could hear them.. The pipes. Occasionally, you would hear a peculiar tapping in what you recognized as pipes; they ran above your head, and you figured that they were oozing this sickly mist. What happened before this room was a mystery, just as convoluted as the air hanging about you. You shuffled, and the sound was consumed by something unknown. Glancing down, you saw tight crimson ropes binding your arms to your chest and your calves to your thighs. You must be laying on your side, somewhere near the center of the room. Any other inference was lost to the fog. There was a soft tapping, a creature keeping quiet in the metal pipes above; how could it feel when its mind was enveloped in the haze?

While you looked around a dark presence coalesced, appearing out of the mist. He leaned down, offering a sturdy hand. You squirmed and whimpered, your neck craning to reach his hand. He recoiled quickly, instead choosing to lean down just out of your grasp, observing you with onyx eyes. The tapping arrived swiftly, and it was frantic, deafening, but the man kept his eyes trained on you as you cowered away from the sound. He reached out once more, and you felt your jaw being caressed by his thumb; he dropped down to his knees, now fondling your jaw with both hands. You attempted to smile, but the gag clenched in your mouth prevented you from doing so. His eyes were lidded as he ran his index finger down the center of your body, drawing a thin, delicate line of scarlet, matching your binds. You began to feel uncomfortable as his hands glided further, further... Like a shark drawn to blood in the water, he roughly squeezed your midsection, pulling flakes of skin from your stomach with his grasp.

You heard words, sickly and sweet, coming from him. "I want to prove my love to you." He turned his head and nipped at your neck, and with a muffled cry you pulled away, but his teeth sunk into your flesh. You heaved, and tears crept down your cheeks, but he didn't stop. Suddenly, the fog dissipated, and the walls of the room bloomed into flowers of sapphire and ruby; the man stumbled backwards, taking a hefty chunk of your throat with him. He frantically looked around for an escape as flora crawled towards him, and his bewildered eyes fell upon your form once again, a weak bundle of rope and tears. He lunged towards you, and you closed your eyes and cringed, but instead of landing upon you he entered you, settling in your heart. There you lie, just as you had in the smokey room, surrounded by pale flowers. Another man of the same creed approached you from the thick wildlife; it had been decades since anyone had come here. You cowered as the being in your heart whispered sweet nothings to you, but the new figure hadn't come to add another line across your chest. He lifted you, untied you, and teached you how to walk, run, swim and eat. He taught you how to live without the man in your heart, though he remained. After a long time of walking the same path, you found an exit, a break in the vibrant flowers that led to an open plain. He walked into the plains, and with a wave he urged you to join him, but your heart was too heavy to leave the forest. He seemed disappointed, and instead of coming back to guide you like he always had, he left you at the brink of the forest. A strange fog fell across the land, and it filled your eyes and nose, choking the flora and the plains. You felt the line across your body shift and slither, and it reached your limbs swiftly, binding them.

The room was smoky and hazed, speech seemed to merge with the musty fog. It smelled of abused incense, and it would've been unbearable, had you not been bound and trapped in the fog. The days were unknown to you, time was a lazy stream that drifted through your fingers like sand.
Username: Josuuke
Word Count: 753
Title: I Was Never the Same
Writing/Link to Writing: below
Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Yes!

Trigger Warning

The room was smoky and hazed, speech seemed to merge with the musty fog. It smelled of abused incense, and it would've been unbearable, had you not been bound and trapped in the fog. The days were unknown to you, time was a lazy stream that drifted through your fingers like sand, but you could hear them.. The pipes. Occasionally, you would hear a peculiar tapping in what you recognized as pipes; they ran above your head, and you figured that they were oozing this sickly mist. What happened before this room was a mystery, just as convoluted as the air hanging about you. You shuffled, and the sound was consumed by something unknown. Glancing down, you saw tight crimson ropes binding your arms to your chest and your calves to your thighs. You must be laying on your side, somewhere near the center of the room. Any other inference was lost to the fog. There was a soft tapping, a creature keeping quiet in the metal pipes above; how could it feel when its mind was enveloped in the haze?

While you looked around a dark presence coalesced, appearing out of the mist. He leaned down, offering a sturdy hand. You squirmed and whimpered, your neck craning to reach his hand. He recoiled quickly, instead choosing to lean down just out of your grasp, observing you with onyx eyes. The tapping arrived swiftly, and it was frantic, deafening, but the man kept his eyes trained on you as you cowered away from the sound. He reached out once more, and you felt your jaw being caressed by his thumb; he dropped down to his knees, now fondling your jaw with both hands. You attempted to smile, but the gag clenched in your mouth prevented you from doing so. His eyes were lidded as he ran his index finger down the center of your body, drawing a thin, delicate line of scarlet, matching your binds. You began to feel uncomfortable as his hands glided further, further... Like a shark drawn to blood in the water, he roughly squeezed your midsection, pulling flakes of skin from your stomach with his grasp.

You heard words, sickly and sweet, coming from him. "I want to prove my love to you." He turned his head and nipped at your neck, and with a muffled cry you pulled away, but his teeth sunk into your flesh. You heaved, and tears crept down your cheeks, but he didn't stop. Suddenly, the fog dissipated, and the walls of the room bloomed into flowers of sapphire and ruby; the man stumbled backwards, taking a hefty chunk of your throat with him. He frantically looked around for an escape as flora crawled towards him, and his bewildered eyes fell upon your form once again, a weak bundle of rope and tears. He lunged towards you, and you closed your eyes and cringed, but instead of landing upon you he entered you, settling in your heart. There you lie, just as you had in the smokey room, surrounded by pale flowers. Another man of the same creed approached you from the thick wildlife; it had been decades since anyone had come here. You cowered as the being in your heart whispered sweet nothings to you, but the new figure hadn't come to add another line across your chest. He lifted you, untied you, and teached you how to walk, run, swim and eat. He taught you how to live without the man in your heart, though he remained. After a long time of walking the same path, you found an exit, a break in the vibrant flowers that led to an open plain. He walked into the plains, and with a wave he urged you to join him, but your heart was too heavy to leave the forest. He seemed disappointed, and instead of coming back to guide you like he always had, he left you at the brink of the forest. A strange fog fell across the land, and it filled your eyes and nose, choking the flora and the plains. You felt the line across your body shift and slither, and it reached your limbs swiftly, binding them.

The room was smoky and hazed, speech seemed to merge with the musty fog. It smelled of abused incense, and it would've been unbearable, had you not been bound and trapped in the fog. The days were unknown to you, time was a lazy stream that drifted through your fingers like sand.
tumblr_oqb77mzwgv1tes27xo1_250.png
Username: StormDragon21
Category: General
Word Count: 458
Title: Candle
Writing/Link to Writing:
As he hatched, a candle was lit.

The newborn dragon was misshapen. His scales were slowly melting off, flowiing down his body. The hatchling squawked in pain and scraped at the clumps of scale-liquid.
His parents panicked along with him. "Get the healer! Get the mage!" the mother yelled. The father's wings beat in his panic, and with a gust they extinguished one of the candles lighting the room.
The melting stopped.

The newborn dragon was given the candle on the day he left the clan, and was instructed to never light it. It was an ordinary candle, as far as he could tell, and melted a quarter of a way. No special carvings adorned it, and the wax was normal for a candle.
Curiousity got to him in a month, and he lit the candle.
A searing pain rushed through his body, and the bulges on his scales started melting. Liquidized scales piled on the ground. Breaking through his pain, he extinguished the candle. He sighed in relief as the melting of his scales stopped.
He vowed to never touch the candle again.

In his new home, he placed the candle in a chest with the rest of his most prized possessions, wrapped in his childhood blanket. He locked it, and hid the key in his desk drawer.

He once feared that he would never find love because of his disfigured scales. Thankfully, he was wrong.

He watched over his new nest of eggs, along with his mate. Three healthy eggs hatched into three beautiful dragons. None of them carried his curse.

The hatchlings grew up, and he was proud. The oldest two went off, as explorers and warriors, but the youngest stayed to learn magic from his home clan.

He often traveled with his mate after the hatchlings were grown. The youngest stayed behind and studied until the sun went down and he could no longer see the paper in front of him.
The son panicked one night, as the sunset appeared through the window. He had slacked in his work, and soon his only light source was gone. He searched the den for candles. Nobody had seen any, and the storage was empty.
He wondered about his father's chest. Perhaps it was a survival container? He knew where the key was, as he had seen his father put it away as he added or removed something from it.
He slid open the drawer and grabbed the key.
The chest had a heavy lid, and dust had accumulated on it. With all of his strength he pulled it up.
A candle sat in the middle of a blanket. It was half-melted, but the son didn't question why.

He studied until the candle burned to its end.

Username: StormDragon21
Category: General
Word Count: 458
Title: Candle
Writing/Link to Writing:
As he hatched, a candle was lit.

The newborn dragon was misshapen. His scales were slowly melting off, flowiing down his body. The hatchling squawked in pain and scraped at the clumps of scale-liquid.
His parents panicked along with him. "Get the healer! Get the mage!" the mother yelled. The father's wings beat in his panic, and with a gust they extinguished one of the candles lighting the room.
The melting stopped.

The newborn dragon was given the candle on the day he left the clan, and was instructed to never light it. It was an ordinary candle, as far as he could tell, and melted a quarter of a way. No special carvings adorned it, and the wax was normal for a candle.
Curiousity got to him in a month, and he lit the candle.
A searing pain rushed through his body, and the bulges on his scales started melting. Liquidized scales piled on the ground. Breaking through his pain, he extinguished the candle. He sighed in relief as the melting of his scales stopped.
He vowed to never touch the candle again.

In his new home, he placed the candle in a chest with the rest of his most prized possessions, wrapped in his childhood blanket. He locked it, and hid the key in his desk drawer.

He once feared that he would never find love because of his disfigured scales. Thankfully, he was wrong.

He watched over his new nest of eggs, along with his mate. Three healthy eggs hatched into three beautiful dragons. None of them carried his curse.

The hatchlings grew up, and he was proud. The oldest two went off, as explorers and warriors, but the youngest stayed to learn magic from his home clan.

He often traveled with his mate after the hatchlings were grown. The youngest stayed behind and studied until the sun went down and he could no longer see the paper in front of him.
The son panicked one night, as the sunset appeared through the window. He had slacked in his work, and soon his only light source was gone. He searched the den for candles. Nobody had seen any, and the storage was empty.
He wondered about his father's chest. Perhaps it was a survival container? He knew where the key was, as he had seen his father put it away as he added or removed something from it.
He slid open the drawer and grabbed the key.
The chest had a heavy lid, and dust had accumulated on it. With all of his strength he pulled it up.
A candle sat in the middle of a blanket. It was half-melted, but the son didn't question why.

He studied until the candle burned to its end.

Mg9qSuP.gif
Word Count: 1,117
Title: The Scribe
Writing/Link to Writing:

It was the seventh tome this week. Destroyed, its insides eviscerated by a rudimentary, stone tool of some sort, from what I’d been able to gather. The hard cover of the Tales of Terror was flayed apart, ragged pieces of leather and paper— color that had been aged over many more lifetimes than my own— lay in tatters at the base of my desk.

Originally, I’d blamed a slew of the clan’s familiars. Most had grown relaxed, others stalwartly loyal to their dragon companions and the clan as a whole, but perhaps we had grown too trusting of our former foes. So I had the familiars banned from the scroll room. These book and scrolls… these words were our history, our future. For the clan members with the grievous disadvantage of being pearl-less, the conglomerations of ink and paper were all they had. And they must be protected.

My scribes-in-training, the Fae hatchmates, I had given explicit orders to dispense and collect the works themselves, keeping a log of who had which book and when. They were quite dutiful, particularly the young female, whose crest would always alight in bright yellows and pinks when she held a work in her claws. She had a natural affinity for the trade, surely the next in line for the position, once I passed. Her brother, a rather small and dull-colored male, flit about the lair disinterestedly, from what I could tell, as his crest always displayed muted colors, and the dull droning of his Fae speech never helped my suppositions. He seemed most attached to his hatchmate, helping her with her chores, that I suppose he’d be her indefinite protégé, lugging tomes around for her, instead.

It wasn’t until my own works were vandalized that the perpetrator got sloppy. It was early morning, and I had just placed my pearl carefully aside, looking upon its surface as I began to recount the hatching day of the clan’s aging matriarch— the nacreous shine of my latest coat leading me through my own place among the festivities, as I penned the event. I had dipped out for but a moment— lured away by the need for a meal. As I walked back up the corridor, licking up the last insect that had attempted to crawl from my claws, I saw that my study’s door had been left ajar.

How curious. I had thought, for I was always so meticulous in keeping the quarters closed.
It was only when I stepped over the threshold that I realized there was nothing curious about it at all. The mongrel had struck again, and my scroll was the latest victim. Only a half-line was salvageable, for the paper had been stabbed repeatedly with that same object, most fiercely, so that slight scores were left in the wooden table at which I had been writing. But, ah, wedged into the wood was a sliver of pale, grey stone. From a knife, I presumed. I traced a claw about the serrated side, my whiskers twitching as the devastation of countless works came to mind.
I grabbed my satchel, slipping the sliver into a small side pouch. Here, it would be safe, until my plan was set in motion.

How would the vandal react when he found out that I had a piece to his weapon of choice. So I pulled my underlings aside, and told them that I had found a piece of the rapscallion’s blade, and to spread the knowledge that I had it from dawn until dusk throughout the clan, and to assure their clanmates that justice would be had. I told them that the sliver would be safely tucked away in my satchel until I could compare it with every blade and weapon in the clan. And I told them to make haste.

The female’s crest fluctuated briefly, and she sped off, dutiful as ever. The male, however, surprised me with a bright, flashing red crest, before quickly flitting off. I did not dwell too much on his reaction, however odd, as I prepared for the next phase of my plan. I had proclaimed that I was turning in early before making to my private chambers, then doubling back and into my study. I flew up— carefully maneuvering about the shelves filled with books— and into a shallow alcove in the cave’s ceiling, curling my tail about myself and watching the door, then the my satchel stretched haphazardly across my desk.

He would come, and I would have my revenge.

It was nearing dawn when the study’s door quietly clicked open, the shadow cast from the hallway quite large, sinister. No familiar was that large, so it was a dragon, then?

As the form moved inside, the shadow shrank, and I felt my mouth go dry as the male Fae cautiously glided in. I watched as he rummaged through the pack, grasping the piece, and pulling it out before shoving it into his own sack. My blood rang in my ears, and I quietly, oh so quietly, glided across the room, plucking a massive, expansive edition of our Weathered Grimoire book—perhaps the heaviest tome in our library— and I, dipping slightly from the weight of the book, hovered over him. As my shadow dipped into his periphery on the floor, he looked up— I dropped the book.

My former student lay in the healer’s quarters in a deep sleep that the aged dragon had had no luck pulling him out of, and I was growing increasingly sure that she would be unable to. An accident, yes. That was what I had said. I had awoken and come flying into my study upon hearing a loud crash. He lay next to a large tome that must have fallen off of its shelving, striking him. A most tragic accident. The books were safe. I was clear. I was sickened, and yet I felt triumphant.

I felt a sudden pang of regret, then, as I saw the female fly in, slowly settling by her brother’s side. Her crest was a flurry of deep blues and purples. She had her own satchel slung across her shoulders, and she carefully pulled it aside, placing it on the ground. I picked it up, aiming to place it farther out of the way, so that she could grieve in peace. As I set the bag down at the edge of the healer’s cave, a pocket popped open and something softly clinked to the floor. Embarrassed, I bent to pick it up, but stopped— the ragged edges of the stone blade shone in the candle-light, a thin chasm of shadow created by the missing sliver in the stone.

And I was sickened.

Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Of course! :)
Word Count: 1,117
Title: The Scribe
Writing/Link to Writing:

It was the seventh tome this week. Destroyed, its insides eviscerated by a rudimentary, stone tool of some sort, from what I’d been able to gather. The hard cover of the Tales of Terror was flayed apart, ragged pieces of leather and paper— color that had been aged over many more lifetimes than my own— lay in tatters at the base of my desk.

Originally, I’d blamed a slew of the clan’s familiars. Most had grown relaxed, others stalwartly loyal to their dragon companions and the clan as a whole, but perhaps we had grown too trusting of our former foes. So I had the familiars banned from the scroll room. These book and scrolls… these words were our history, our future. For the clan members with the grievous disadvantage of being pearl-less, the conglomerations of ink and paper were all they had. And they must be protected.

My scribes-in-training, the Fae hatchmates, I had given explicit orders to dispense and collect the works themselves, keeping a log of who had which book and when. They were quite dutiful, particularly the young female, whose crest would always alight in bright yellows and pinks when she held a work in her claws. She had a natural affinity for the trade, surely the next in line for the position, once I passed. Her brother, a rather small and dull-colored male, flit about the lair disinterestedly, from what I could tell, as his crest always displayed muted colors, and the dull droning of his Fae speech never helped my suppositions. He seemed most attached to his hatchmate, helping her with her chores, that I suppose he’d be her indefinite protégé, lugging tomes around for her, instead.

It wasn’t until my own works were vandalized that the perpetrator got sloppy. It was early morning, and I had just placed my pearl carefully aside, looking upon its surface as I began to recount the hatching day of the clan’s aging matriarch— the nacreous shine of my latest coat leading me through my own place among the festivities, as I penned the event. I had dipped out for but a moment— lured away by the need for a meal. As I walked back up the corridor, licking up the last insect that had attempted to crawl from my claws, I saw that my study’s door had been left ajar.

How curious. I had thought, for I was always so meticulous in keeping the quarters closed.
It was only when I stepped over the threshold that I realized there was nothing curious about it at all. The mongrel had struck again, and my scroll was the latest victim. Only a half-line was salvageable, for the paper had been stabbed repeatedly with that same object, most fiercely, so that slight scores were left in the wooden table at which I had been writing. But, ah, wedged into the wood was a sliver of pale, grey stone. From a knife, I presumed. I traced a claw about the serrated side, my whiskers twitching as the devastation of countless works came to mind.
I grabbed my satchel, slipping the sliver into a small side pouch. Here, it would be safe, until my plan was set in motion.

How would the vandal react when he found out that I had a piece to his weapon of choice. So I pulled my underlings aside, and told them that I had found a piece of the rapscallion’s blade, and to spread the knowledge that I had it from dawn until dusk throughout the clan, and to assure their clanmates that justice would be had. I told them that the sliver would be safely tucked away in my satchel until I could compare it with every blade and weapon in the clan. And I told them to make haste.

The female’s crest fluctuated briefly, and she sped off, dutiful as ever. The male, however, surprised me with a bright, flashing red crest, before quickly flitting off. I did not dwell too much on his reaction, however odd, as I prepared for the next phase of my plan. I had proclaimed that I was turning in early before making to my private chambers, then doubling back and into my study. I flew up— carefully maneuvering about the shelves filled with books— and into a shallow alcove in the cave’s ceiling, curling my tail about myself and watching the door, then the my satchel stretched haphazardly across my desk.

He would come, and I would have my revenge.

It was nearing dawn when the study’s door quietly clicked open, the shadow cast from the hallway quite large, sinister. No familiar was that large, so it was a dragon, then?

As the form moved inside, the shadow shrank, and I felt my mouth go dry as the male Fae cautiously glided in. I watched as he rummaged through the pack, grasping the piece, and pulling it out before shoving it into his own sack. My blood rang in my ears, and I quietly, oh so quietly, glided across the room, plucking a massive, expansive edition of our Weathered Grimoire book—perhaps the heaviest tome in our library— and I, dipping slightly from the weight of the book, hovered over him. As my shadow dipped into his periphery on the floor, he looked up— I dropped the book.

My former student lay in the healer’s quarters in a deep sleep that the aged dragon had had no luck pulling him out of, and I was growing increasingly sure that she would be unable to. An accident, yes. That was what I had said. I had awoken and come flying into my study upon hearing a loud crash. He lay next to a large tome that must have fallen off of its shelving, striking him. A most tragic accident. The books were safe. I was clear. I was sickened, and yet I felt triumphant.

I felt a sudden pang of regret, then, as I saw the female fly in, slowly settling by her brother’s side. Her crest was a flurry of deep blues and purples. She had her own satchel slung across her shoulders, and she carefully pulled it aside, placing it on the ground. I picked it up, aiming to place it farther out of the way, so that she could grieve in peace. As I set the bag down at the edge of the healer’s cave, a pocket popped open and something softly clinked to the floor. Embarrassed, I bent to pick it up, but stopped— the ragged edges of the stone blade shone in the candle-light, a thin chasm of shadow created by the missing sliver in the stone.

And I was sickened.

Would you be comfortable with people discussing your writing in the discussion thread?: Of course! :)
EYhnjwN.png
1 2 3 4