Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [SF] Star Stories: Starfall Lore 2017
1 2 3
[img]https://s20.postimg.org/l97sr5qod/post_vista.png[/img] [i][center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864#post_29470246]Previous Chapter[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864#post_2279864]Contents[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864#post_29450198]Thanks[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864#post_29470235]Cast[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864/2#post_29504481]Next Chapter[/url][/center][/i] ----- [center][size=7][font=Gabriola]Chapter Two[/font][/size] [font=Gabriola][size=6]Well Received[/size] [size=5]By luminousnoble[/size][/font][/center] [center][img]https://s20.postimg.org/ty2r3y6a5/DVIVID.png[/img][/center] "Where's the tome?! Someone get the tome!" "I have the tome, Roslyn, don't worry." "HAS ANYONE SEEN CORREY???" "I'm right here." "The falling stars shape our favour..." "Kasey, I love you, but you're NOT helping!" In this state of chaos, the planning committee threw the last scraps of their presentation together for the exalts, throwing buckets of glitter and triple-checking contraptions as they shouldered past and hissed at one another. At a glance, the scene would speak of immense dysfunctionality, but this is the Arcane flight. No one jostled the tundra tuning each gear, recognizing them by the scented powder she'd applied. The same mirror that skree'd at a glitter dumper passed him a bucket of an excellently contrasting purple half a second later. No one said thank you, and no one said please, but they didn't need to. It would have just slowed them down. Until, finally, a strange [i]vschworp[/i] echoed from beyond the curtain. The committee's members went still. And Roslyn climbed up to the top of their construct, rubbing his hands together. "Okay. All right. Showtime." With that, Alcyone stepped out, giving a sheepish smile to the gathered exalts and a reverent bow to the Arcanist. The immense, eight-limbed serpent smiled a soft, patient smile down at her, nodding his approval. "I have eagerly awaited your presentation. Go ahead. Enchant me." Alcyone swallowed, antennae twitching with the intensity of his magical essence in such close proximity. She nodded, and cleared her throat. "Over the many centuries, the Arcane flight has become renowned for its chaos. We are infamous in Sornieth for our annual apocalypse, so much so that it has become almost trite... and taxing on our clans. After an outcry against such a Starfall from our diligent flight members, who battled with such integrity when the constellations fell to earth, we believe very deeply that Starfall ought to return to its roots. That we ought to hold not an apocalypse... but a star celebration." Her timid but eager voice echoed through the hall, as a gentle, starry light shone through the stained glass high above. This was the Magician's Hall, the only lecture hall in the Observatory big enough to accommodate the Arcanist. Traditionally, the flight's most esteemed scholars (The Arcanist himself among them) would hold lectures or presentations here meant for only the most advanced students of magic. Today, though - as in every Starfall past - it was given a black box on the speaker's stage, where the Festival Preparation Committee built their only annual shot at earning Spacedad's pride. They had yet to fail, but something about the deed alone was enough to make every single one of them nervous, even Plush. And especially Roslyn. But with her speech completed, Alcyone grinned, and she stamped her foot on the edge of the stage. And the curtained sides of the box fell down. Like some kind of Earth clown car, the entire committee emerged, taking positions across the stage with elegantly crafted props. The tundra cogsmith cranked her machination into gear, and a pole shot high above the rectangular core, even as it unfolded, revealing two Arcane scenes - the Starwood Strand and the Focal Point - with a real bookshelf at its center, bearing Plush's ancient tome. Even as it did, a fireborn pearlcatcher breathed spark into kindling set at the center of the stage, then started dancing and singing, a song recounting the story of a constellation - The Sorcerer's Eye. As she sang, another group of dragons gathered around a golden telescope, one opening a book and reading a story, the others laughing and miming searching for its constellation. Meanwhile, still another popped up a tent in record time, one settling behind the booth and jingling a starry wind chime, jars of stars hanging all around the booth in clusters. And while all this went on, Plush wandered to that old tome, pulling it from its place and going to the empty front of the stage. She made a nervous huff, then read carefully - not from the book itself, but from an incantation written by the committee members themselves. As she read, glowing sparks began to hover around her, idling up and down, and then swirl and spin, leaving thin trails of brightly colored smoke behind them. When her incantation is complete and she closes the book, the stars disperse, positioning themsleves irregularly but evenly around the scene. Their glow is gentle but vibrant, and their downwards-trailing tails shimmer and flutter gently. The light they shed is just bright enough to illuminate the banner, depicting the Arcane Constellation: a series of stars connected to form the symbol of the Arcane Flight. Roslyn is atop that banner now, and he speaks in the bravest, clearest voice he can muster to the Arcanist. "We decided that what makes us truly arcane is our love of the cosmos. It's our reverence for the skies above. and all that shines brighter in the dark... from weird potions to magic flowers. But most of all, the stars. And... we decided to tell our stories. The great and grand and the quiet and homely, too. To take real pride in the best of us. "We, um... we hope you like it, dad." The Arcanist didn't reply. Not right away. But his smile, impossibly broad and impossibly proud, spoke for him, and his gently quavering voice told more than words alone ever could. "I love it, Roslyn. I do." ----- [i]Pinglist ~ @alagasianflame @NocturnistheDark [/i]
post_vista.png

Chapter Two

Well Received
By luminousnoble
DVIVID.png

"Where's the tome?! Someone get the tome!"

"I have the tome, Roslyn, don't worry."

"HAS ANYONE SEEN CORREY???"

"I'm right here."

"The falling stars shape our favour..."

"Kasey, I love you, but you're NOT helping!"

In this state of chaos, the planning committee threw the last scraps of their presentation together for the exalts, throwing buckets of glitter and triple-checking contraptions as they shouldered past and hissed at one another. At a glance, the scene would speak of immense dysfunctionality, but this is the Arcane flight. No one jostled the tundra tuning each gear, recognizing them by the scented powder she'd applied. The same mirror that skree'd at a glitter dumper passed him a bucket of an excellently contrasting purple half a second later. No one said thank you, and no one said please, but they didn't need to. It would have just slowed them down.

Until, finally, a strange vschworp echoed from beyond the curtain. The committee's members went still.

And Roslyn climbed up to the top of their construct, rubbing his hands together. "Okay. All right. Showtime."

With that, Alcyone stepped out, giving a sheepish smile to the gathered exalts and a reverent bow to the Arcanist. The immense, eight-limbed serpent smiled a soft, patient smile down at her, nodding his approval. "I have eagerly awaited your presentation. Go ahead. Enchant me."

Alcyone swallowed, antennae twitching with the intensity of his magical essence in such close proximity. She nodded, and cleared her throat.

"Over the many centuries, the Arcane flight has become renowned for its chaos. We are infamous in Sornieth for our annual apocalypse, so much so that it has become almost trite... and taxing on our clans. After an outcry against such a Starfall from our diligent flight members, who battled with such integrity when the constellations fell to earth, we believe very deeply that Starfall ought to return to its roots. That we ought to hold not an apocalypse... but a star celebration."

Her timid but eager voice echoed through the hall, as a gentle, starry light shone through the stained glass high above. This was the Magician's Hall, the only lecture hall in the Observatory big enough to accommodate the Arcanist. Traditionally, the flight's most esteemed scholars (The Arcanist himself among them) would hold lectures or presentations here meant for only the most advanced students of magic. Today, though - as in every Starfall past - it was given a black box on the speaker's stage, where the Festival Preparation Committee built their only annual shot at earning Spacedad's pride.

They had yet to fail, but something about the deed alone was enough to make every single one of them nervous, even Plush. And especially Roslyn.

But with her speech completed, Alcyone grinned, and she stamped her foot on the edge of the stage. And the curtained sides of the box fell down.

Like some kind of Earth clown car, the entire committee emerged, taking positions across the stage with elegantly crafted props. The tundra cogsmith cranked her machination into gear, and a pole shot high above the rectangular core, even as it unfolded, revealing two Arcane scenes - the Starwood Strand and the Focal Point - with a real bookshelf at its center, bearing Plush's ancient tome. Even as it did, a fireborn pearlcatcher breathed spark into kindling set at the center of the stage, then started dancing and singing, a song recounting the story of a constellation - The Sorcerer's Eye.

As she sang, another group of dragons gathered around a golden telescope, one opening a book and reading a story, the others laughing and miming searching for its constellation. Meanwhile, still another popped up a tent in record time, one settling behind the booth and jingling a starry wind chime, jars of stars hanging all around the booth in clusters. And while all this went on, Plush wandered to that old tome, pulling it from its place and going to the empty front of the stage.

She made a nervous huff, then read carefully - not from the book itself, but from an incantation written by the committee members themselves. As she read, glowing sparks began to hover around her, idling up and down, and then swirl and spin, leaving thin trails of brightly colored smoke behind them.

When her incantation is complete and she closes the book, the stars disperse, positioning themsleves irregularly but evenly around the scene. Their glow is gentle but vibrant, and their downwards-trailing tails shimmer and flutter gently. The light they shed is just bright enough to illuminate the banner, depicting the Arcane Constellation: a series of stars connected to form the symbol of the Arcane Flight.

Roslyn is atop that banner now, and he speaks in the bravest, clearest voice he can muster to the Arcanist. "We decided that what makes us truly arcane is our love of the cosmos. It's our reverence for the skies above. and all that shines brighter in the dark... from weird potions to magic flowers. But most of all, the stars. And... we decided to tell our stories. The great and grand and the quiet and homely, too. To take real pride in the best of us.

"We, um... we hope you like it, dad."

The Arcanist didn't reply. Not right away. But his smile, impossibly broad and impossibly proud, spoke for him, and his gently quavering voice told more than words alone ever could.

"I love it, Roslyn. I do."

Pinglist ~ @alagasianflame @NocturnistheDark
I need a new signature.
@luminousnoble

I'd like pinged for this, please! What's been released so far is amazing!
@luminousnoble

I'd like pinged for this, please! What's been released so far is amazing!
If you buy dragons from me to exalt, please name them first!
T5sUJyn.png
@luminousnoble
Can I be pinged as well? I agree with everyone else this is fantastic:)
@luminousnoble
Can I be pinged as well? I agree with everyone else this is fantastic:)
banner_arcana_by_agatheas-db9eh23.png
@Nighttyger @Fabellaura

Thank you so much~! It's a relief to know that our hard work as a Flight paid off :D You've both been added to the pinglist!
@Nighttyger @Fabellaura

Thank you so much~! It's a relief to know that our hard work as a Flight paid off :D You've both been added to the pinglist!
I need a new signature.
[img]https://s20.postimg.org/l97sr5qod/post_vista.png[/img] [i][center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864/2#post_29493066]Previous Chapter[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864#post_2279864]Contents[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864#post_29450198]Thanks[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864#post_29470235]Cast[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864/2#post_29525743]Next Chapter[/url][/center][/i] ----- [center][size=7][font=Gabriola]Chapter Three[/font][/size] [font=Gabriola][size=6]Opposing Notions[/size] [size=5]By Lundlaeva[/size][/font][/center] [center][img]https://s20.postimg.org/ty2r3y6a5/DVIVID.png[/img][/center] [center]Today's Special Appearances [i][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26115175]Cas[/url] ~ [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=1900621]Tetsuanir[/url] ~ [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=317545&tab=dragon&did=33760285]Invierna[/url][/center] The Festival preparations had the Observatory in uproar. Almost all research and experimentation had been suspended, and it was difficult to find a single library, hall or laboratory that wasn’t being used for something related to this year’s Starfall. The messier tasks had quickly spilled outside, and the grassy ledges surrounding the Observatory were filled with groups of volunteers. There were dragons sewing scraps of cloth into triangles and stringing them into bunting, using every imaginable shade of pink and purple and interspersing them with night-sky blue flags stitched with stars. Others were cutting planks of wood down to make the signposts which would direct Festival-goers around the Starfall Isles and dying them a rich shade of purple. Then there were the artists: some were painting the runes and symbols carved into each sign’s surface in white, but the majority were sprawled on the grassy verges and working on the huge quantities of banners required for the Celebration. All of them were using paint mixed with sap harvested from the Starwood which would glow in the dark, so that by night the banners would shine like real constellations. Among them, in a spot close by the Observatory’s main entrance, was a pastel-coloured bogsneak with a tangle of decorative rose vines covering her wings, tail and legs. Her lilac banners and the amethyst pendant she wore threatened to fall into her work as she painted, and she shoved them out of the way with an impatient huff. Finally, with a flourish, she finished the last line and sat back on her haunches with a satisfied sigh. Perfect. On the midnight-blue banner in front of her was a rendition of her favourite constellation: The Great Starbear. The positions of its stars were marked by heavy dots of paint and she had drawn out the figure they represented in thinner lines of white and pale blue. A purple Imperial with very long antlers and copper wire woven into his wild mane paused on his way past with an armful of freshly-cut signs. He peered over the Bogsneak’s shoulder. “What’s that?” “It’s The Great Starbear, of course,” the Bogsneak replied, waving her brush and accidentally sending a splatter of paint into the nearby grass. When the Imperial stared at her blankly, she added, “You know - the protector of the whole of Sornieth? Placed in the sky by the Arcanist himself to defend us from any more attacks from the Shade?” “Never heard of it,” the Imperial said, shrugging and sending a surge of sparks through the live wires that lined the outside of his coat. “You’ve never heard of The Great Starbear?!” the Bogsneak spluttered, springing to her feet. The Imperial shrugged and squinted at the banner, tilting his head on one side. “Nope. The stars in that shape look more like The Thunderbolt to me – just kind of sideways and with a few extra bits here and there,” he said, gesturing at the stars that represented the The Great Starbear’s head and legs. He deposited his signs with a crash and leaned closer to trace a lightning-bolt shape in the air above the banner with his claw, joining the star-dots in a completely different configuration. “See? Thunderbolt!” “It is not!” the Bogsneak bristled, stamping her foot hard and knocking over a tin of blue paint. “Hey! Be careful!” yelped a nearby Skydancer. She snatched her own banner, which showed a dramatically weeping Coatl, out of the splash-zone and jumped up to move away from the spillage. As she did so, she caught sight of the Bogsneak’s banner and blinked in confusion. “Why have you drawn a bear on top of The Crayfish?” she asked. “The Crayfish?” the Bogsneak cried, turning towards the Skydancer. “It’s not a crayfish! It doesn’t look anything like a crayfish!” “Yes it does,” the Skydancer said as though this was obvious knowledge. “It looks more like a crayfish than a bear!” “It absolutely does! It’s The Great Starbear - protector of Sornieth - not a thunderbolt, and certainly not a stupid crayfish!” the Bogsneak shouted, snatching her banner off the ground and clutching it to her chest, her head-crests standing to attention. “What’s going on out here?” said a loud voice from behind her. The three of them turned towards the Observatory’s main entrance to see a Snapper with an armful of scrolls and a clipboard heading down the steps towards them. [Name], from the Planning Committee. The dragons fell silent as she approached, cringing and shuffling their feet, until she came to a halt in front of the Bogsneak. “I came out here to see how the preparations were going,” Plush said in a serious tone, waggling her clipboard. “Now, what seems to be the problem?” The Bogsneak raised her head and held out her banner beseechingly to the Snapper. “They keep saying I got my constellation wrong!” “Ah, The Great Starbear!” Plush said with a smile as she took in the painting. The Imperial muttered, “It’s The Thunderbolt.” The Skydancer glared at him, and made no attempt to lower her voice. “No, it’s The Crayfish! It’s got pincers!” Plush looked between the three of them and sighed. “Is that what all this fuss is about? Dear me. Come now - The Great Starbear has many names: that’s what makes it such a fascinating constellation! Water dragons,” she said, looking pointedly at the lime-eyed Skydancer, “Often know it as The Crayfish, yes. The Plague Flight calls it the Nochnyr. But within the Great Starbear there is also an asterism - a smaller group of stars which are brighter and easier to find. They’re painted here, you see?” She pointed to a set of six or seven stars, the largest that the Bogsneak had painted onto her banner. “Those who travel frequently sometimes call these the Trader’s Wagon,” Plush continued. She smiled up at the Imperial. “And in Lightning Flight they are known as The Thunderbolt, as you said.” “But it can’t be all those things!” the Bogsneak blurted, and then remembered that she was talking to one of the Observatory’s elders and added, “Can it?” “Of course it can!” the old Snapper replied. “Just because other dragons interpret the stars differently doesn’t mean that The Great Starbear isn’t there. This Starfall Celebration is not about who’s right and who’s wrong about the shapes the stars make - it’s about sharing our favourite star-stories and learning new ones!” The Bogsneak, the Imperial and the Skydancer looked at one another, crests and wings drooping in disgrace. [Name] looked between the three of them. “Remember: we’re celebrating the Tales of the Stars - all of the Tales of the Stars.” With that, she turned and headed towards the sign-makers to check on their progress. There was a long silence. It was the Bogsneak who eventually broke it. “Actually,” she said, tilting her head to one side. “I can see how you’d see a Thunderbolt - if you were in the Shifting Expanse.” “Yeah?” The said with a small smile. Then he turned to the Skydancer. “So … where are the pincers on this Crayfish, then?” The Skydancer’s feather crest flared out in surprise, but she quickly composed herself and leaned over the banner to draw the Crayfish shape above it. She glanced at the other three dragons and then said hesitantly, “Um. They say that there was this one crayfish that just wouldn’t stop growing. And it was getting almost as big as an Imperial and taking over the Sea of a Thousand Currents? So, uhm - the Tidelord came up from under the sea and grabbed it by its tail, and tried to throw it over the Windswept Plateau and into the ocean, but its tail broke off as he throwing it, and it flew up and landed in the sky instead. That’s why the constellation has no tail.” The Imperial snorted in amusement and the Bogsneak giggled as they imagined the scene. The Skydancer chuckled too as she settled back down on a clean bit of grass with her paints and half-finished banner. “So,” the Bogsneak said as the laughter calmed, “Neither of you know the story of The Great Starbear, then?” “Apart from what you’ve just told me, nope,” the Imperial said with a shrug. “But it’s great!” she cried. “Not as funny as Tidelord hurling an overgrown crustacean around, maybe, but it’s a good story.” “Why don’t you tell us?” the Skydancer smiled as she started to paint again. The Bogsneak grinned back and launched into her favourite constellation story, the other artists watching with gentle smiles. [center][i]Pinglist: @alagasianflame @NocturnistheDark @Nighttyger @Fabellaura [/i][/center]
post_vista.png

Chapter Three

Opposing Notions
By Lundlaeva
DVIVID.png
Today's Special Appearances
Cas ~ Tetsuanir ~ Invierna

The Festival preparations had the Observatory in uproar. Almost all research and experimentation had been suspended, and it was difficult to find a single library, hall or laboratory that wasn’t being used for something related to this year’s Starfall. The messier tasks had quickly spilled outside, and the grassy ledges surrounding the Observatory were filled with groups of volunteers.

There were dragons sewing scraps of cloth into triangles and stringing them into bunting, using every imaginable shade of pink and purple and interspersing them with night-sky blue flags stitched with stars. Others were cutting planks of wood down to make the signposts which would direct Festival-goers around the Starfall Isles and dying them a rich shade of purple. Then there were the artists: some were painting the runes and symbols carved into each sign’s surface in white, but the majority were sprawled on the grassy verges and working on the huge quantities of banners required for the Celebration. All of them were using paint mixed with sap harvested from the Starwood which would glow in the dark, so that by night the banners would shine like real constellations.

Among them, in a spot close by the Observatory’s main entrance, was a pastel-coloured bogsneak with a tangle of decorative rose vines covering her wings, tail and legs. Her lilac banners and the amethyst pendant she wore threatened to fall into her work as she painted, and she shoved them out of the way with an impatient huff. Finally, with a flourish, she finished the last line and sat back on her haunches with a satisfied sigh. Perfect.

On the midnight-blue banner in front of her was a rendition of her favourite constellation: The Great Starbear. The positions of its stars were marked by heavy dots of paint and she had drawn out the figure they represented in thinner lines of white and pale blue.

A purple Imperial with very long antlers and copper wire woven into his wild mane paused on his way past with an armful of freshly-cut signs. He peered over the Bogsneak’s shoulder. “What’s that?”

“It’s The Great Starbear, of course,” the Bogsneak replied, waving her brush and accidentally sending a splatter of paint into the nearby grass. When the Imperial stared at her blankly, she added, “You know - the protector of the whole of Sornieth? Placed in the sky by the Arcanist himself to defend us from any more attacks from the Shade?”

“Never heard of it,” the Imperial said, shrugging and sending a surge of sparks through the live wires that lined the outside of his coat.

“You’ve never heard of The Great Starbear?!” the Bogsneak spluttered, springing to her feet. The Imperial shrugged and squinted at the banner, tilting his head on one side.

“Nope. The stars in that shape look more like The Thunderbolt to me – just kind of sideways and with a few extra bits here and there,” he said, gesturing at the stars that represented the The Great Starbear’s head and legs. He deposited his signs with a crash and leaned closer to trace a lightning-bolt shape in the air above the banner with his claw, joining the star-dots in a completely different configuration. “See? Thunderbolt!”

“It is not!” the Bogsneak bristled, stamping her foot hard and knocking over a tin of blue paint.

“Hey! Be careful!” yelped a nearby Skydancer.

She snatched her own banner, which showed a dramatically weeping Coatl, out of the splash-zone and jumped up to move away from the spillage. As she did so, she caught sight of the Bogsneak’s banner and blinked in confusion.

“Why have you drawn a bear on top of The Crayfish?” she asked.

“The Crayfish?” the Bogsneak cried, turning towards the Skydancer. “It’s not a crayfish! It doesn’t look anything like a crayfish!”

“Yes it does,” the Skydancer said as though this was obvious knowledge. “It looks more like a crayfish than a bear!”

“It absolutely does! It’s The Great Starbear - protector of Sornieth - not a thunderbolt, and certainly not a stupid crayfish!” the Bogsneak shouted, snatching her banner off the ground and clutching it to her chest, her head-crests standing to attention.

“What’s going on out here?” said a loud voice from behind her.

The three of them turned towards the Observatory’s main entrance to see a Snapper with an armful of scrolls and a clipboard heading down the steps towards them. [Name], from the Planning Committee. The dragons fell silent as she approached, cringing and shuffling their feet, until she came to a halt in front of the Bogsneak.

“I came out here to see how the preparations were going,” Plush said in a serious tone, waggling her clipboard. “Now, what seems to be the problem?”

The Bogsneak raised her head and held out her banner beseechingly to the Snapper. “They keep saying I got my constellation wrong!”

“Ah, The Great Starbear!” Plush said with a smile as she took in the painting.

The Imperial muttered, “It’s The Thunderbolt.”

The Skydancer glared at him, and made no attempt to lower her voice. “No, it’s The Crayfish! It’s got pincers!”

Plush looked between the three of them and sighed. “Is that what all this fuss is about? Dear me. Come now - The Great Starbear has many names: that’s what makes it such a fascinating constellation! Water dragons,” she said, looking pointedly at the lime-eyed Skydancer, “Often know it as The Crayfish, yes. The Plague Flight calls it the Nochnyr. But within the Great Starbear there is also an asterism - a smaller group of stars which are brighter and easier to find. They’re painted here, you see?”

She pointed to a set of six or seven stars, the largest that the Bogsneak had painted onto her banner.

“Those who travel frequently sometimes call these the Trader’s Wagon,” Plush continued. She smiled up at the Imperial. “And in Lightning Flight they are known as The Thunderbolt, as you said.”

“But it can’t be all those things!” the Bogsneak blurted, and then remembered that she was talking to one of the Observatory’s elders and added, “Can it?”

“Of course it can!” the old Snapper replied. “Just because other dragons interpret the stars differently doesn’t mean that The Great Starbear isn’t there. This Starfall Celebration is not about who’s right and who’s wrong about the shapes the stars make - it’s about sharing our favourite star-stories and learning new ones!”

The Bogsneak, the Imperial and the Skydancer looked at one another, crests and wings drooping in disgrace. [Name] looked between the three of them.

“Remember: we’re celebrating the Tales of the Stars - all of the Tales of the Stars.”

With that, she turned and headed towards the sign-makers to check on their progress. There was a long silence. It was the Bogsneak who eventually broke it.

“Actually,” she said, tilting her head to one side. “I can see how you’d see a Thunderbolt - if you were in the Shifting Expanse.”

“Yeah?” The said with a small smile. Then he turned to the Skydancer. “So … where are the pincers on this Crayfish, then?”

The Skydancer’s feather crest flared out in surprise, but she quickly composed herself and leaned over the banner to draw the Crayfish shape above it. She glanced at the other three dragons and then said hesitantly, “Um. They say that there was this one crayfish that just wouldn’t stop growing. And it was getting almost as big as an Imperial and taking over the Sea of a Thousand Currents? So, uhm - the Tidelord came up from under the sea and grabbed it by its tail, and tried to throw it over the Windswept Plateau and into the ocean, but its tail broke off as he throwing it, and it flew up and landed in the sky instead. That’s why the constellation has no tail.”

The Imperial snorted in amusement and the Bogsneak giggled as they imagined the scene. The Skydancer chuckled too as she settled back down on a clean bit of grass with her paints and half-finished banner.

“So,” the Bogsneak said as the laughter calmed, “Neither of you know the story of The Great Starbear, then?”

“Apart from what you’ve just told me, nope,” the Imperial said with a shrug.

“But it’s great!” she cried. “Not as funny as Tidelord hurling an overgrown crustacean around, maybe, but it’s a good story.”

“Why don’t you tell us?” the Skydancer smiled as she started to paint again.

The Bogsneak grinned back and launched into her favourite constellation story, the other artists watching with gentle smiles.

I need a new signature.
@luminousnoble
Please ping me from now on~
@luminousnoble
Please ping me from now on~
2lhDoir.png..... .....WMCEgD8.pnguBQemcM.png
[img]https://s20.postimg.org/l97sr5qod/post_vista.png[/img] [i][center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864/2#post_29504481]Previous Chapter[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864#post_2279864]Contents[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864#post_29450198]Thanks[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864#post_29470235]Cast[/url] ~ [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2279864/3#post_29535184]Next Chapter[/url][/center][/i] ----- [center][size=7][font=Gabriola]Chapter Four[/font][/size] [font=Gabriola][size=6]Strong Beliefs[/size] [size=5]By luminousnoble[/size][/font][/center] [center][img]https://s20.postimg.org/ty2r3y6a5/DVIVID.png[/img][/center] Starfall preparations couldn’t have been going better. Correy hadn’t seen much of the planning team around that time, but the productivity of preparations, from processing merchants’ booth requests for stalls to cleaning the everloving crap out of the Observatory to ensure it would impress. Everything seems to have organized itself, leading Correy to his annual miracle: A chance to relax. He’d learned long ago to never take relaxing for granted. One never knew when his mate would offer some new concoction, or Roselyn would drop some crazy new task on his (admittedly capable, though he’d never say it so bluntly) shoulders. Even a moment of calm was better than none at all, something Correy knew better than most. So he savored his moments, and right then, that was precisely what he was doing, observing the slowly-emerging stars of dusk with serenity where he lay on a balcony extending from a committee-operated room. However, his peace was shortly shattered, just like the window above him. By a door flung through it. He jerked, then leapt off the ground to avoid the glass, watching incredulously as the door stopped against the balcony ledge. He perched on it, then peered inside just in time to see Roslyn shriek, throwing his arms up hard enough to fall backwards onto the ground, to which Kasey leaned in with visible concern. Alcyone spoke, her soft voice emanating from outside Correy’s view - “I just don’t see the problem. Can’t we trust our fellow Arcanites? What’s the worst that could happen?” Roselyn rose his head, looking more traditionally aghast than any other fae ever could, then pointed a claw at her, voice nearly a shriek and squeaking mid-sentence. “The worst that could HAPPEN?! An APOCALYPSE, Alcyone! Trust our fellow Arcanites, my unclean -” “The solution is before us. Concede, my friend.” Alcyone and Roslyn both looked bewilderedly at Kasey, who had his eyes shut as serenely as his heavily accented voice. Roslyn pointed at him in confusion, to which Alcyone shrugged. “I don’t know which of us he means either, but um, I’m right, Roslyn.” Again, he shrieked, at which point Correy, having entered the otherwise well-organized room through the decimated window, groaned and rose his voice to be heard above his shrill anger. “DRAGONS! Calm your clawtips! What the Flying Flamecaller are you all arguing about?” Alcyone started to respond, and so did Kasey, but Roslyn got there first - well, louder, at least. “GAME BOOTHS! Correy, back me up! We can’t risk anything getting out of hand, we absolutely MUST not allow games we did not plan ourselves!” Alcyone’s crest flared as she recoiled a bit, then gave a tiny huff. “I think Roslyn’s being ridiculous. Everyone’s so excited about a peaceful Starfall - why shouldn’t we trust our own kin?” “Why?! WHY?! I TOLD you why!!! Arcane has ENEMIES, Alcyone, enemies who are just WAITING for a chance to cripple us! What happens next time we vye for dominance and our resources are drained because WE - [i]WEEEE, the Event Committee[/i] - let STARFALL get RUINED!” “GUYS!” As Correy’s voice rang, deep and sharp, through the room, all three arguing dragons quieted, looking to Correy with wide, nervous eyes. He took a deep breath, then sat on his haunches to pinch his brow with a claw, letting the breath out in a sigh. “How… how long have you been [i]arguing[/i] about this?” A beat. Roslyn and Alcyone exchanged a glance. This time, it was Kasey who butted in, chirping, “Almost a week.” Correy blinked. “Almost a week?” “Almost a week.” “... What in the cosmos.” Correy shook his head, shoulders drooping with exasperation. “You realize there is a perfectly good common ground between these two, right? Just have all game runners propose their plan to us, so that they have creative freedom, but are still subject to review to keep Starfall tidy and safe. How did none of you think of that?” Alcyone took a breath. Roslyn puffed his cheeks. Kasey was, once again, the first to speak: “Um…. let it be known that… we tried.” Correy sighed, then glanced around, wandering to the shelf where the old tome had been placed for convenience’s sake. He thumbed through it for a moment, then set it on a table, tapping a chapter header, the others wandering over to peer down with curiosity. “There. Festival game by-laws. It’s already in here for us, we just need to make sure it’s adequately modern.” Roslyn, from Correy’s head, took a moment, then nodded slowly. “These… are just about perfect. Kasey, can you get some parchment?” Kasey nodded, wandering to a desk near the door, but just as he returned with parchment and an inkwell, the door opened, drawing all four heads to it. Enter Plush, with a pocketbook and a smile, waving a foot at them. “Hello, all!” The response was lukewarm; a string of various mumbles from those present. She disregarded it. “Yes, yes, it is excellent to see you. You have the maps drawn out by now, yes? For the festival grounds - what ought to go where, what trees we must cut down or relocate, and so on.” They all stiffened. She disregarded that, too. “Now, we’ll be setting up the area at dawn, like I told you last week, so you have tonight to make sure it’s perfect. I have absolute confidence in you.” And with that, she turned and moseyed out, giving a final “Ta~!” as she did. The group was silent for a moment. They exchanged various glances. And then, not only did Roslyn scream, but all four of them did. The good news is, when you’ve been a team for as long as the Planning Committee has, you can argue all you want… but once it gets down to the wire, you know exactly what to do. The pre-dawn light found Correy with a scroll case, wandering into the library with tired eyes. As he knew she would be, Plush was at a table, poring over an ancient book with immense interest. When he set the scroll case down next to the book, she smiled, without looking up. “Excellent. I shan’t bother examining it just yet, I know it will be perfect.” Correy nodded absently, glancing across the library. “I appreciate the vote of confidence.” “Naturally!” she chuckled, reaching up to nudge to another page. “Now, how long were the lot of you awake writing this up?” He gave a chuckle of his own, eyes drifting shut against the lazy morning light. “Well… let’s just say if I can get Lynith to comply, I’ll be sleeping in.” [center][i]Pinglist: @alagasianflame @NocturnistheDark @Nighttyger @Fabellaura @Clya @misfitmiskatonic[/i][/center]
post_vista.png

Chapter Four

Strong Beliefs
By luminousnoble
DVIVID.png

Starfall preparations couldn’t have been going better. Correy hadn’t seen much of the planning team around that time, but the productivity of preparations, from processing merchants’ booth requests for stalls to cleaning the everloving crap out of the Observatory to ensure it would impress. Everything seems to have organized itself, leading Correy to his annual miracle: A chance to relax.

He’d learned long ago to never take relaxing for granted. One never knew when his mate would offer some new concoction, or Roselyn would drop some crazy new task on his (admittedly capable, though he’d never say it so bluntly) shoulders. Even a moment of calm was better than none at all, something Correy knew better than most. So he savored his moments, and right then, that was precisely what he was doing, observing the slowly-emerging stars of dusk with serenity where he lay on a balcony extending from a committee-operated room.

However, his peace was shortly shattered, just like the window above him. By a door flung through it.

He jerked, then leapt off the ground to avoid the glass, watching incredulously as the door stopped against the balcony ledge. He perched on it, then peered inside just in time to see Roslyn shriek, throwing his arms up hard enough to fall backwards onto the ground, to which Kasey leaned in with visible concern.

Alcyone spoke, her soft voice emanating from outside Correy’s view - “I just don’t see the problem. Can’t we trust our fellow Arcanites? What’s the worst that could happen?”

Roselyn rose his head, looking more traditionally aghast than any other fae ever could, then pointed a claw at her, voice nearly a shriek and squeaking mid-sentence. “The worst that could HAPPEN?! An APOCALYPSE, Alcyone! Trust our fellow Arcanites, my unclean -”

“The solution is before us. Concede, my friend.”

Alcyone and Roslyn both looked bewilderedly at Kasey, who had his eyes shut as serenely as his heavily accented voice. Roslyn pointed at him in confusion, to which Alcyone shrugged. “I don’t know which of us he means either, but um, I’m right, Roslyn.”

Again, he shrieked, at which point Correy, having entered the otherwise well-organized room through the decimated window, groaned and rose his voice to be heard above his shrill anger. “DRAGONS! Calm your clawtips! What the Flying Flamecaller are you all arguing about?”

Alcyone started to respond, and so did Kasey, but Roslyn got there first - well, louder, at least. “GAME BOOTHS! Correy, back me up! We can’t risk anything getting out of hand, we absolutely MUST not allow games we did not plan ourselves!”

Alcyone’s crest flared as she recoiled a bit, then gave a tiny huff. “I think Roslyn’s being ridiculous. Everyone’s so excited about a peaceful Starfall - why shouldn’t we trust our own kin?”

“Why?! WHY?! I TOLD you why!!! Arcane has ENEMIES, Alcyone, enemies who are just WAITING for a chance to cripple us! What happens next time we vye for dominance and our resources are drained because WE - WEEEE, the Event Committee - let STARFALL get RUINED!”

“GUYS!”

As Correy’s voice rang, deep and sharp, through the room, all three arguing dragons quieted, looking to Correy with wide, nervous eyes. He took a deep breath, then sat on his haunches to pinch his brow with a claw, letting the breath out in a sigh. “How… how long have you been arguing about this?”

A beat. Roslyn and Alcyone exchanged a glance. This time, it was Kasey who butted in, chirping, “Almost a week.”

Correy blinked. “Almost a week?”

“Almost a week.”

“... What in the cosmos.” Correy shook his head, shoulders drooping with exasperation. “You realize there is a perfectly good common ground between these two, right? Just have all game runners propose their plan to us, so that they have creative freedom, but are still subject to review to keep Starfall tidy and safe. How did none of you think of that?”

Alcyone took a breath. Roslyn puffed his cheeks. Kasey was, once again, the first to speak: “Um…. let it be known that… we tried.”

Correy sighed, then glanced around, wandering to the shelf where the old tome had been placed for convenience’s sake. He thumbed through it for a moment, then set it on a table, tapping a chapter header, the others wandering over to peer down with curiosity. “There. Festival game by-laws. It’s already in here for us, we just need to make sure it’s adequately modern.”

Roslyn, from Correy’s head, took a moment, then nodded slowly. “These… are just about perfect. Kasey, can you get some parchment?”

Kasey nodded, wandering to a desk near the door, but just as he returned with parchment and an inkwell, the door opened, drawing all four heads to it. Enter Plush, with a pocketbook and a smile, waving a foot at them. “Hello, all!”

The response was lukewarm; a string of various mumbles from those present. She disregarded it.

“Yes, yes, it is excellent to see you. You have the maps drawn out by now, yes? For the festival grounds - what ought to go where, what trees we must cut down or relocate, and so on.”

They all stiffened. She disregarded that, too.

“Now, we’ll be setting up the area at dawn, like I told you last week, so you have tonight to make sure it’s perfect. I have absolute confidence in you.” And with that, she turned and moseyed out, giving a final “Ta~!” as she did.

The group was silent for a moment. They exchanged various glances. And then, not only did Roslyn scream, but all four of them did.

The good news is, when you’ve been a team for as long as the Planning Committee has, you can argue all you want… but once it gets down to the wire, you know exactly what to do.

The pre-dawn light found Correy with a scroll case, wandering into the library with tired eyes. As he knew she would be, Plush was at a table, poring over an ancient book with immense interest. When he set the scroll case down next to the book, she smiled, without looking up. “Excellent. I shan’t bother examining it just yet, I know it will be perfect.”

Correy nodded absently, glancing across the library. “I appreciate the vote of confidence.”

“Naturally!” she chuckled, reaching up to nudge to another page. “Now, how long were the lot of you awake writing this up?”

He gave a chuckle of his own, eyes drifting shut against the lazy morning light. “Well… let’s just say if I can get Lynith to comply, I’ll be sleeping in.”

I need a new signature.
omg i love it so far! also props for 'what the flying flamecaller,' that's a really nice phrase XD
omg i love it so far! also props for 'what the flying flamecaller,' that's a really nice phrase XD
CPt6K.gif
YMPbu9R.png
ca4nyRv.pngpZJYyk4.png6mVFIuV.png
gziv3Ja.pngtLCn0d0.pngEE2umbT.png
@luminousnoble Ah, these stories are wonderful! I especially liked the one about the Great Starbear (aka the Thunderbolt, aka the Crayfish). Please add me to the pinglist!
@luminousnoble Ah, these stories are wonderful! I especially liked the one about the Great Starbear (aka the Thunderbolt, aka the Crayfish). Please add me to the pinglist!
Na5WGHa.png
@alagasianflame Thank you!! I try to pick up new phrases wherever I can~ I got that one from Fable's Cryface tutorial.

@tigressRising You got it!! I'll slide you in~
@alagasianflame Thank you!! I try to pick up new phrases wherever I can~ I got that one from Fable's Cryface tutorial.

@tigressRising You got it!! I'll slide you in~
I need a new signature.
1 2 3