Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers of September
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
General Introduction

In Nanowrimo 2013, I started a writers' chat thread in the Wind forum with LadyRowyn. Since we left Wind, we've created a writers' chat here every month, to (a) meet new writers! and (b) keep in touch with all our Windy friends. (Hi Windies! We still love you all!)

Some purposes for this thread:
  • Talk excitedly about your current awesome writing project!
  • Whinge about your current project which no longer seems so awesome and you don't want to work on it any more but YOU WILL anyway. Because REASONS.
  • Show off snippets of your writing
  • Cheer your fellow writers on as they write!
  • Commiserate with your fellow writers as they complain about not writing, or about not being happy with their writing
  • Ask other participants to pick one of your dragons for you to write something about in the dragon's bio
  • Show off dragon bios
  • Admire one another's dragons and new hatchlings from time to time (because this IS Flight Rising)
  • Any other writerly activities you want to chat about

"Dragon Writers" is a reference to this being a chat on a dragon site; there is no requirement that you write about dragons in order to participate. (Okay, there really aren't any requirements at all).

This is intended to be a general chat thread and not a critique group. Now, it's absolutely fine for a writer to post a link to their work and ask people for feedback and/or criticism! But it's also fine for people to post bits of their writing just to show off and with no desire to have it critiqued. And it's fine if you participate in the thread without ever sharing anything you write, or giving feedback on anyone else's writing.

Unless a writer solicits critiques, please only respond to their writing with supportive comments (or don't respond at all).

Also, this is a chat thread: we're here to interact with one another as writers. Showing up to say 'I haven't read any of the previous messages and am completely ignoring any conversations going on. Please come to my thread/read my writing' is unlikely to work out well for you.

New Business
Welp, August was a total flop for most of us, looks like. Lol! Let's hope September is going to go better. What about it, ya'll? How are your projects going? Do you like the new gene? If so do you have lore ideas for it? And show off your babies!

General Introduction

In Nanowrimo 2013, I started a writers' chat thread in the Wind forum with LadyRowyn. Since we left Wind, we've created a writers' chat here every month, to (a) meet new writers! and (b) keep in touch with all our Windy friends. (Hi Windies! We still love you all!)

Some purposes for this thread:
  • Talk excitedly about your current awesome writing project!
  • Whinge about your current project which no longer seems so awesome and you don't want to work on it any more but YOU WILL anyway. Because REASONS.
  • Show off snippets of your writing
  • Cheer your fellow writers on as they write!
  • Commiserate with your fellow writers as they complain about not writing, or about not being happy with their writing
  • Ask other participants to pick one of your dragons for you to write something about in the dragon's bio
  • Show off dragon bios
  • Admire one another's dragons and new hatchlings from time to time (because this IS Flight Rising)
  • Any other writerly activities you want to chat about

"Dragon Writers" is a reference to this being a chat on a dragon site; there is no requirement that you write about dragons in order to participate. (Okay, there really aren't any requirements at all).

This is intended to be a general chat thread and not a critique group. Now, it's absolutely fine for a writer to post a link to their work and ask people for feedback and/or criticism! But it's also fine for people to post bits of their writing just to show off and with no desire to have it critiqued. And it's fine if you participate in the thread without ever sharing anything you write, or giving feedback on anyone else's writing.

Unless a writer solicits critiques, please only respond to their writing with supportive comments (or don't respond at all).

Also, this is a chat thread: we're here to interact with one another as writers. Showing up to say 'I haven't read any of the previous messages and am completely ignoring any conversations going on. Please come to my thread/read my writing' is unlikely to work out well for you.

New Business
Welp, August was a total flop for most of us, looks like. Lol! Let's hope September is going to go better. What about it, ya'll? How are your projects going? Do you like the new gene? If so do you have lore ideas for it? And show off your babies!

Traveling Wind Clan! We have toured every Flight in Sornieth!
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
I summon the dragon-writing horde!

@Almaren, @Aloysius, @Alpharaposa, @Amut, @Araaska,@Azurenight, @Batme, @benalene, @Bhelryss, @BlackWinter, @blaireau, @BombSwan, @brilliantsky, @Caiiore, @CanisLupus03, @Catbag, @Celetia912, @chalcara, @chaosheart13, @chibithulu, @cinderrain, @Cinnimoncynic, @Saraceaser,@CosmicCoelacanth, @Darkersolstice, @Darkwarrior101, @disbounded, @thefaceradar, , @DTEvie, @Duchannes, @egyptelf, @Elfnextdoor, @encarmine, @EonFlamewing, @Erratic, @Eyries, @Fixeddotdice, @Fuurin, @gendersquare, @GreyWardenNova, @growingthebear, @gunslinger, @HeartThief, @hitoritabi, @Hurricanesong, @Iceyriver08, @Ickyrus, @Iriexiris, @IronPen, @IvoryMuffin, @Jane13, @Jetfeather@JiggertyPokery, @Joying, @kanashiiichigo, @Karika, @kayn, @Kazaera, @Kelwyn, @Kemonomimi, @Kerynean, @KittyHamilton, @LadyKnightKatsa, @LadyRowyn, @Ladyslayer, @lamarqueisdead, @Lckgandor, @li0nessrampant, @LilacsandFreedom, @LuckieChanm, @LucklessLady, @Lundlaeva, @Lytic, @ManaStar, @Marmite, @maw, @nemodave@melonLord, @MeraHunt, @Metamochi, @micahjaguar, @MischiefSword, @Mistwalker, @Catkinstarchild, @Morichinatsu, @Mort, @mwingzero, @Namira, @nano, @nargothrond, @Nemera, @Neroelysium, @Nightlilac, @NightwindDragon, @Nikita, @Oakwick, @ObsidianNights, @pachirisu, @Paintminion, @Pasafatu, @Pielonious, @pixeltune, @Plagueheart, @PlatinumDream, @PocketTheSaurus, @PoofinBurd, @Pookasaur, @psychocanes, @puffbird, @purplpeanut, @Pyrasaur, @quartzcrusher, @Rabbithearts, @Rexcaliburr, @ruthie, @SadariEvenstar, @SapphireElegy, @Serpenthyne, @ShadesofCyan, @shimo, @ShockZephyr, @SierraKomodo, @SilverFoxDemon, @Silverspun, @SingingBirdy, @SirWermo, @SN1006, @Snaphance, , @SpiritKin, @SpringyBirdd, @Srewolf, @Steffon, @Stoat, @Suraya, @SylphofPens, @Syrinx, @tacroy, @The13Inquisitor, @TheDragonsQueen, @TheMaskedHunter, @typoAdventure, @Upstart, @Velg, @velvetpaws, @VigilanteSnail, @VioletWhirlwind, @WhoDoVooDoo, @Wisecakes, @WitchyWriter, @Wymetz, @WynterDragen, @xxsnowyxxx, @Yukino, @Zidderinni, @VivaFariy, @MawkishMuse, @Umpaloompa, @QuetzalQueen, @Adventure, @ZenithNadir, @Hydria, @Artificiary, @evosoul, @NinjaKnightOsc, @Silverhame, @Xumbre, @mightybeast, @DracioZard, @luckgandor, @tsuneembers, @MisfitsLanding, @LaraAelric, @TwilightDreams, @demonslayr62, @Zonemod, @Endernil, @Saraceaser, @Killunia, @MissFortune17, @laumania, @Aireiya, @Reltseo, @Sillywinter, , @DracoLeo, @ScrivenerRook, @Keeum, @Larkie, @Polymorphus, @PixieKnight3264, @thatjaeger, @Petall, @Raenea, @Nemesis, @Onigame, @Moonwater, @lilastar, @SamIamLuvDov, @HugQueen, @Nyghtfall12, @demonslayr62

The ping list is self-editing; please add or remove yourself here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MgBhbV0tZai8TO20VNURz5y8_toxSN4xLCamseq7ICs/edit#gid=0
I summon the dragon-writing horde!

@Almaren, @Aloysius, @Alpharaposa, @Amut, @Araaska,@Azurenight, @Batme, @benalene, @Bhelryss, @BlackWinter, @blaireau, @BombSwan, @brilliantsky, @Caiiore, @CanisLupus03, @Catbag, @Celetia912, @chalcara, @chaosheart13, @chibithulu, @cinderrain, @Cinnimoncynic, @Saraceaser,@CosmicCoelacanth, @Darkersolstice, @Darkwarrior101, @disbounded, @thefaceradar, , @DTEvie, @Duchannes, @egyptelf, @Elfnextdoor, @encarmine, @EonFlamewing, @Erratic, @Eyries, @Fixeddotdice, @Fuurin, @gendersquare, @GreyWardenNova, @growingthebear, @gunslinger, @HeartThief, @hitoritabi, @Hurricanesong, @Iceyriver08, @Ickyrus, @Iriexiris, @IronPen, @IvoryMuffin, @Jane13, @Jetfeather@JiggertyPokery, @Joying, @kanashiiichigo, @Karika, @kayn, @Kazaera, @Kelwyn, @Kemonomimi, @Kerynean, @KittyHamilton, @LadyKnightKatsa, @LadyRowyn, @Ladyslayer, @lamarqueisdead, @Lckgandor, @li0nessrampant, @LilacsandFreedom, @LuckieChanm, @LucklessLady, @Lundlaeva, @Lytic, @ManaStar, @Marmite, @maw, @nemodave@melonLord, @MeraHunt, @Metamochi, @micahjaguar, @MischiefSword, @Mistwalker, @Catkinstarchild, @Morichinatsu, @Mort, @mwingzero, @Namira, @nano, @nargothrond, @Nemera, @Neroelysium, @Nightlilac, @NightwindDragon, @Nikita, @Oakwick, @ObsidianNights, @pachirisu, @Paintminion, @Pasafatu, @Pielonious, @pixeltune, @Plagueheart, @PlatinumDream, @PocketTheSaurus, @PoofinBurd, @Pookasaur, @psychocanes, @puffbird, @purplpeanut, @Pyrasaur, @quartzcrusher, @Rabbithearts, @Rexcaliburr, @ruthie, @SadariEvenstar, @SapphireElegy, @Serpenthyne, @ShadesofCyan, @shimo, @ShockZephyr, @SierraKomodo, @SilverFoxDemon, @Silverspun, @SingingBirdy, @SirWermo, @SN1006, @Snaphance, , @SpiritKin, @SpringyBirdd, @Srewolf, @Steffon, @Stoat, @Suraya, @SylphofPens, @Syrinx, @tacroy, @The13Inquisitor, @TheDragonsQueen, @TheMaskedHunter, @typoAdventure, @Upstart, @Velg, @velvetpaws, @VigilanteSnail, @VioletWhirlwind, @WhoDoVooDoo, @Wisecakes, @WitchyWriter, @Wymetz, @WynterDragen, @xxsnowyxxx, @Yukino, @Zidderinni, @VivaFariy, @MawkishMuse, @Umpaloompa, @QuetzalQueen, @Adventure, @ZenithNadir, @Hydria, @Artificiary, @evosoul, @NinjaKnightOsc, @Silverhame, @Xumbre, @mightybeast, @DracioZard, @luckgandor, @tsuneembers, @MisfitsLanding, @LaraAelric, @TwilightDreams, @demonslayr62, @Zonemod, @Endernil, @Saraceaser, @Killunia, @MissFortune17, @laumania, @Aireiya, @Reltseo, @Sillywinter, , @DracoLeo, @ScrivenerRook, @Keeum, @Larkie, @Polymorphus, @PixieKnight3264, @thatjaeger, @Petall, @Raenea, @Nemesis, @Onigame, @Moonwater, @lilastar, @SamIamLuvDov, @HugQueen, @Nyghtfall12, @demonslayr62

The ping list is self-editing; please add or remove yourself here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MgBhbV0tZai8TO20VNURz5y8_toxSN4xLCamseq7ICs/edit#gid=0
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
*crawls in here, exhausted* End of August/Beginning of September totally knocked me down and used me for a punching bag. Too much going on, and then I got sick! But I'm finally feeling better, and I am going at my current WIP in the hopes of finishing it by end of October. I got about 25K done in August despite all the craziness, so let's hope I can manage. Capsule is... not working for me! Which is sad, because the liquid parts are almost like a prettier glimmer (if that was even possible!). But I'm eager to see what lore people come up with to explain it. *popcorn* I do not have any new lore babies, but I bought this girl RTB because she seemed like a good breeding partner for one of my existing dragons and I kind of like her despite her odd colors. So I named her after a famous female samurai and am keeping her. For now. *nods* [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=34829918] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/348300/34829918_350.png[/img] [/url]
*crawls in here, exhausted* End of August/Beginning of September totally knocked me down and used me for a punching bag. Too much going on, and then I got sick! But I'm finally feeling better, and I am going at my current WIP in the hopes of finishing it by end of October. I got about 25K done in August despite all the craziness, so let's hope I can manage.

Capsule is... not working for me! Which is sad, because the liquid parts are almost like a prettier glimmer (if that was even possible!). But I'm eager to see what lore people come up with to explain it. *popcorn*

I do not have any new lore babies, but I bought this girl RTB because she seemed like a good breeding partner for one of my existing dragons and I kind of like her despite her odd colors. So I named her after a famous female samurai and am keeping her. For now. *nods*

34829918_350.png

[img]https://media.tenor.com/images/997eabf9ca6385cb2f21633a78c94645/tenor.gif[/img]
tenor.gif
24002659_oFj.png
Happy September, dragon friends! Capsule is kind of strange. I don't know I want to like it but the empty part is so disappointing. I think it looks good on Melusine though. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=34444570] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/344446/34444570_350.png[/img] [/url]
Happy September, dragon friends!

Capsule is kind of strange. I don't know I want to like it but the empty part is so disappointing.

I think it looks good on Melusine though.

34444570_350.png
OEbTfWA.pngQZBBtQI.png
So! I'm finally picking up my old Camp NaNoWriMo project I started in April but quickly lost interest in, and I'm happy to say it's been going well! It's a fantasy novel involving dragons because really, you can't just get away from dragons when you've spent 3 years on this website.

Anyway, synopsis!
Born from Death and the Moon, Halluna is a spirited being left abandoned on the mortal world of Iiertera. As she grew up under the care of one of the most powerful mages Varkyr, she began to become confused about her destiny, and why she was left alone despite being a descendent of the Spirits. Hearing about the Skypool - a magical place that can tell anyone's destiny, she made it her job to find it, but not without the help of one of the last Greater Dragons, Zierlos. The only thing that stands in her way is... well, everything. After all, what can one girl do, when no one but her own ghostly father will help?

And in case anyone would like to read this lengthy thing, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By52wH2KVd86S1Q4WmtwemR5alk?usp=sharing
So! I'm finally picking up my old Camp NaNoWriMo project I started in April but quickly lost interest in, and I'm happy to say it's been going well! It's a fantasy novel involving dragons because really, you can't just get away from dragons when you've spent 3 years on this website.

Anyway, synopsis!
Born from Death and the Moon, Halluna is a spirited being left abandoned on the mortal world of Iiertera. As she grew up under the care of one of the most powerful mages Varkyr, she began to become confused about her destiny, and why she was left alone despite being a descendent of the Spirits. Hearing about the Skypool - a magical place that can tell anyone's destiny, she made it her job to find it, but not without the help of one of the last Greater Dragons, Zierlos. The only thing that stands in her way is... well, everything. After all, what can one girl do, when no one but her own ghostly father will help?

And in case anyone would like to read this lengthy thing, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By52wH2KVd86S1Q4WmtwemR5alk?usp=sharing
S O K O L
knowledge of comprehension, benevolence, and aesthetics | active | slowly revamping
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx
ToxrvHn.gif
Yay new chat thread!

I am not sick. My partner remains critically ill. I spent most of August visiting him in the hospital and then the rehab facility they moved him to. His condition still varies a lot from day to day. He had been doing better and the rehab place was optimistic that he'd be well enough to come home in a week or two. But the last few days he has been worse: more pain, less energy, more confusion. So I don't know.

But I'm on vacation from work as of this evening! I don't go back until the 13th. Eleven whole days off! I am probably going to spend most of them doing yardwork. I've tried three times in the last two weeks to hire someone to do yardwork and it has been a dismal failure each time, of people not doing what they said they would do and also not telling me they weren't going to do it. Or that they hadn't done it. It is seriously super-weird.

Anyway, I've basically given up on contractors and will deal with it myself, assuming I can get our riding lawn mower to work. I am not super optimistic about this, either. We'll see.

I finished my penultimate pass on Scales or whatever I'm going to call it, and am proofreading it now. After that, it's just up to the typesetter. And I get to work on advertisements or something. Not that I'm really going to advertise, but I wanted to do quotes from the book over illustrations so Imma do that. (Micah did this with her last book too, but this is a rare instance where we both had the same idea instead of one of the billion times I stole ideas from her.)

@micahjaguar *hugs sick jaguar and tucks afghans around her* You will write like the wind when you are healthy again! It is the last of the series! ALL DOWNHILL FROM HERE! \o/
Yay new chat thread!

I am not sick. My partner remains critically ill. I spent most of August visiting him in the hospital and then the rehab facility they moved him to. His condition still varies a lot from day to day. He had been doing better and the rehab place was optimistic that he'd be well enough to come home in a week or two. But the last few days he has been worse: more pain, less energy, more confusion. So I don't know.

But I'm on vacation from work as of this evening! I don't go back until the 13th. Eleven whole days off! I am probably going to spend most of them doing yardwork. I've tried three times in the last two weeks to hire someone to do yardwork and it has been a dismal failure each time, of people not doing what they said they would do and also not telling me they weren't going to do it. Or that they hadn't done it. It is seriously super-weird.

Anyway, I've basically given up on contractors and will deal with it myself, assuming I can get our riding lawn mower to work. I am not super optimistic about this, either. We'll see.

I finished my penultimate pass on Scales or whatever I'm going to call it, and am proofreading it now. After that, it's just up to the typesetter. And I get to work on advertisements or something. Not that I'm really going to advertise, but I wanted to do quotes from the book over illustrations so Imma do that. (Micah did this with her last book too, but this is a rare instance where we both had the same idea instead of one of the billion times I stole ideas from her.)

@micahjaguar *hugs sick jaguar and tucks afghans around her* You will write like the wind when you are healthy again! It is the last of the series! ALL DOWNHILL FROM HERE! \o/
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
Hello everybody! X3 I have two writing projects that I'm currently working on and I would really appreciate it if you guys helped support me on my DeviantArt page if you can! Just click the green flowers in my signature! If you don't have Deviantart that's fine, click the Arcane coin also in my signature to go to my stories and artwork thread! Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Hello everybody! X3 I have two writing projects that I'm currently working on and I would really appreciate it if you guys helped support me on my DeviantArt page if you can! Just click the green flowers in my signature! If you don't have Deviantart that's fine, click the Arcane coin also in my signature to go to my stories and artwork thread! Thank you and have a wonderful day!
She/Her - Straight but not Narrow- Melanie Martinez Fan - +1 hour FR time - Feel free to click my links below! \/
SH1SQ3B.pngti8KfRS.png GOc109J.pngdl3RiWP.pnguntitled_by_samiamluvdov-dbpv3i7.gif
Well...August was certainly a month. I also didn't really get anything done this month, although I didn't have any real excuse. I saw the eclipse and that was pretty awesome! As for the gene, I haven't done any scries with it, but the concept is really cool (like completely unexpected and unique). I feel like it probably looks better on bogsneaks than most other dragons hahaha, but that's alright because I love bogsneaks. EDIT: OH BABIES I FORGOT They're not really babies anymore but I've got a few beauties that I've been hoping to sell (because they're too beautiful for me to exalt) and so far I've had luck with one, but the festival means I'm probably going to have to hold onto them for a while [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=35340389] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/353404/35340389_350.png[/img] [/url] (my favorite has already sold, but here's his brother) And I do have a couple PCs that I'm hoping to do the same thing with, once they've grown [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=35565491] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/355655/35565491_350.png[/img] [/url] I've also got a nest I'm pretty excited about but I'll probably have to exalt a few dragons to make room for them
Well...August was certainly a month.

I also didn't really get anything done this month, although I didn't have any real excuse. I saw the eclipse and that was pretty awesome! As for the gene, I haven't done any scries with it, but the concept is really cool (like completely unexpected and unique). I feel like it probably looks better on bogsneaks than most other dragons hahaha, but that's alright because I love bogsneaks.

EDIT: OH BABIES I FORGOT

They're not really babies anymore but I've got a few beauties that I've been hoping to sell (because they're too beautiful for me to exalt) and so far I've had luck with one, but the festival means I'm probably going to have to hold onto them for a while

35340389_350.png

(my favorite has already sold, but here's his brother)

And I do have a couple PCs that I'm hoping to do the same thing with, once they've grown

35565491_350.png

I've also got a nest I'm pretty excited about but I'll probably have to exalt a few dragons to make room for them
Pinkerlocke
NJUUm2g.png
September, gosh. I hope this means that the warm weather will be returning to the southern hemisphere, soon.

I'm still surviving at my new job, sort of. I did get my boss to agree to look at my bestie's resume, so with any luck I'll have a friend in that hell with me, soon. Real life still isn't very fun, either. My mother swears non-stop and my sister doesn't know how to manage money so I have to keep buying her ungrateful self food so that my nephew and niece don't starve while she runs around with her selfish interests. *sigh*

Writing wise I'm still being pretty productive. Still working on the sequel for ISR, and started plotting Dawnstone seriously, since I got stuck trying to pants it. Still writing for daily prompts on FR too.. and I've just started trying to write a piece for one of my friend's dragons - which is extremely hard to write for a pre existing personality omg - so that she can pay me with a WC scroll for my new perma. It's certainly good motivation.

As for the new gene? I hate it, it's gross, and I want nothing to do with it. *laughs*
But, the new jewellery apparel looks promising~

I also have that urge to kill all my permas again and start over... but that's a really bad idea.

I hope you're all doing well!

EDIT:
I'm also now in light flight. *Throws glitter at everyone*
September, gosh. I hope this means that the warm weather will be returning to the southern hemisphere, soon.

I'm still surviving at my new job, sort of. I did get my boss to agree to look at my bestie's resume, so with any luck I'll have a friend in that hell with me, soon. Real life still isn't very fun, either. My mother swears non-stop and my sister doesn't know how to manage money so I have to keep buying her ungrateful self food so that my nephew and niece don't starve while she runs around with her selfish interests. *sigh*

Writing wise I'm still being pretty productive. Still working on the sequel for ISR, and started plotting Dawnstone seriously, since I got stuck trying to pants it. Still writing for daily prompts on FR too.. and I've just started trying to write a piece for one of my friend's dragons - which is extremely hard to write for a pre existing personality omg - so that she can pay me with a WC scroll for my new perma. It's certainly good motivation.

As for the new gene? I hate it, it's gross, and I want nothing to do with it. *laughs*
But, the new jewellery apparel looks promising~

I also have that urge to kill all my permas again and start over... but that's a really bad idea.

I hope you're all doing well!

EDIT:
I'm also now in light flight. *Throws glitter at everyone*
DmRdZYl.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7