Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Write Away
1 2 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 91 92
There was ash.
In the air, on the ground, in the water, it didn't matter. Ash was everywhere, as was the embers long forgotten as they floated, attempting to reignite themselves. I could hear people screaming as they attempted to flee from the flames, only to be eaten alive by the hungry, crackling beast.
But the carnival wasn't what I meant to burn down. No, I wanted to destroy the freak house, to free the 'beasts' within their cages. To free my sister.
Now, though, I was barely making it out of the carnival alive myself as the smoke filled my lungs, making me choke and cough as I ran. My glasses and eyesight blurred, and I burned myself a few times as I accidentally fled into the flames.
I tried to save the other people, but they just refused to leave. Out of denial or out of recognizing me as a Nightingale, I couldn't tell. They just wouldn't come with me, only spat in my face and called me a freak. I humbly accepted their insults and left them to die. I wanted to save them, but they didn't want me to.
When I finally made it out into the parking lot, I got to see the bitter fruits of my labor. The orange glow of the flames cast many shadows on me, and the screams of all those innocent people were about to make my ears bleed. All I could find that would remain of the carnival, untouched by the flames, was a small music box, still in perfect shape. I left it for the looters.
I swallowed the hard lump in my throat, turned around, and walked back to the camp, away from the burning carnival.
There was ash.
In the air, on the ground, in the water, it didn't matter. Ash was everywhere, as was the embers long forgotten as they floated, attempting to reignite themselves. I could hear people screaming as they attempted to flee from the flames, only to be eaten alive by the hungry, crackling beast.
But the carnival wasn't what I meant to burn down. No, I wanted to destroy the freak house, to free the 'beasts' within their cages. To free my sister.
Now, though, I was barely making it out of the carnival alive myself as the smoke filled my lungs, making me choke and cough as I ran. My glasses and eyesight blurred, and I burned myself a few times as I accidentally fled into the flames.
I tried to save the other people, but they just refused to leave. Out of denial or out of recognizing me as a Nightingale, I couldn't tell. They just wouldn't come with me, only spat in my face and called me a freak. I humbly accepted their insults and left them to die. I wanted to save them, but they didn't want me to.
When I finally made it out into the parking lot, I got to see the bitter fruits of my labor. The orange glow of the flames cast many shadows on me, and the screams of all those innocent people were about to make my ears bleed. All I could find that would remain of the carnival, untouched by the flames, was a small music box, still in perfect shape. I left it for the looters.
I swallowed the hard lump in my throat, turned around, and walked back to the camp, away from the burning carnival.
Oh, but can't you feel it?! The void, it's calling me- Calling all of us! It wants to eat our souls, so that we never ascend to the heavens, it wants to absorb us! It needs sustenance, so that it may expand and envelop this whole useless world! All that muck and grime, the ooze, it will fill every crevice of reality, and it will change the world into a paradise! All you have to do is live to see it!
And why aren't I scared? Because the void is the afterlife, and I am its Grim Reaper!
@Macchi

Though very short, I just really liked what you wrote. I could almost imagine the two sitting there on the bridge as the embers fluttered downwards, a dull orange glow casting deep shadows on their faces as they talk.

@nuttysaladtree

I had to read through what you wrote a few times before I got it. My first impression was someone who was learning about something on Earth, like an alien or something. Then, after I read through it a time or two, I caught it! They are returning Ash trees to a forest where they have been wiped out. Clever use of "ash" by the way!

@GreatLordHades

I am not sure where you were going for the story here, but it was enjoyable to read. The imagery was well founded enough that I could imagine some dark figure shambling through a burning maze trying to find their way out, helping those along the way only to be turned away. Than, as they watch the blaze from afar, they just walk away.

There were only three entries here, so I guess I'll give each of them a spot!

Nuttysalad tree gets first, followed by Macchi, and than Greatlordhades!
@Macchi

Though very short, I just really liked what you wrote. I could almost imagine the two sitting there on the bridge as the embers fluttered downwards, a dull orange glow casting deep shadows on their faces as they talk.

@nuttysaladtree

I had to read through what you wrote a few times before I got it. My first impression was someone who was learning about something on Earth, like an alien or something. Then, after I read through it a time or two, I caught it! They are returning Ash trees to a forest where they have been wiped out. Clever use of "ash" by the way!

@GreatLordHades

I am not sure where you were going for the story here, but it was enjoyable to read. The imagery was well founded enough that I could imagine some dark figure shambling through a burning maze trying to find their way out, helping those along the way only to be turned away. Than, as they watch the blaze from afar, they just walk away.

There were only three entries here, so I guess I'll give each of them a spot!

Nuttysalad tree gets first, followed by Macchi, and than Greatlordhades!
Gula.gif
Thank you, @Gula, and good job to my fellow writers!

Prompt: "Is it just me, or are some of the costumes in this contest a bit...too realistic?"

Deadline: November 3, 2018, 23:59

@Chrisondra @TidalMoonrise @Mypilot @PixieKnight3264 @SamIamLuvDov @Lightshadow101 @humanityxpeople @coyearth @Avanari @demonslayr62 @Auraelia @Endernil @Arithelia @inthestars @Annalynn @meddlesomedragon @SocialBookWorm @Kattata @Reiyn @Skyeset @lessthan3 @AwkwardAngel @Draxia @Solstices @0Musicheart0 @Aphelium @AloneTogether @CelestialNarwhal @Kapara @Slayborn @pharmakraken @Elroth @After @Adaris @LapisDragon17718 @Dragonartist24 @MysticalScribe @TwoSwordsClash @Redtiger7736 @AnacondaMiracle @PuddleStars @GalazyBunny @Macchi @MistressMagpie @catmeow1 @TundraReign @GreatLordHades @TwilightDreams @stanlley @Eiira @seige @VeronicaSawyer
Thank you, @Gula, and good job to my fellow writers!

Prompt: "Is it just me, or are some of the costumes in this contest a bit...too realistic?"

@Chrisondra @TidalMoonrise @Mypilot @PixieKnight3264 @SamIamLuvDov @Lightshadow101 @humanityxpeople @coyearth @Avanari @demonslayr62 @Auraelia @Endernil @Arithelia @inthestars @Annalynn @meddlesomedragon @SocialBookWorm @Kattata @Reiyn @Skyeset @lessthan3 @AwkwardAngel @Draxia @Solstices @0Musicheart0 @Aphelium @AloneTogether @CelestialNarwhal @Kapara @Slayborn @pharmakraken @Elroth @After @Adaris @LapisDragon17718 @Dragonartist24 @MysticalScribe @TwoSwordsClash @Redtiger7736 @AnacondaMiracle @PuddleStars @GalazyBunny @Macchi @MistressMagpie @catmeow1 @TundraReign @GreatLordHades @TwilightDreams @stanlley @Eiira @seige @VeronicaSawyer
90px-Applications-office.svg.png When people draw up a warm bath and put in flower petals,
Writing Prompts
are they bathing in flower tea?
@MysticalScribe you have to do this one
@MysticalScribe you have to do this one
arcanesparkle.gifBasically Redoing my Clan's Lore- for the third time.arcanesparkle.gif
@Dragonartist24

JUST DO IT
@Dragonartist24

JUST DO IT
@catmeow1 dear future me, do this or no smore's
@catmeow1 dear future me, do this or no smore's
Halloween prompt for Halloween! [quote name="nuttysaladtree" date="2018-10-27 07:30:30" ] [b]Prompt:[/b] "Is it just me, or are some of the costumes in this contest a bit...too realistic?" [b]Deadline:[/b] November 3, 2018, 23:59 [/quote]
Halloween prompt for Halloween!
nuttysaladtree wrote on 2018-10-27 07:30:30:

90px-Applications-office.svg.png When people draw up a warm bath and put in flower petals,
Writing Prompts
are they bathing in flower tea?
So what if no one does it and its past the due date
what then
So what if no one does it and its past the due date
what then
Oh, but can't you feel it?! The void, it's calling me- Calling all of us! It wants to eat our souls, so that we never ascend to the heavens, it wants to absorb us! It needs sustenance, so that it may expand and envelop this whole useless world! All that muck and grime, the ooze, it will fill every crevice of reality, and it will change the world into a paradise! All you have to do is live to see it!
And why aren't I scared? Because the void is the afterlife, and I am its Grim Reaper!
Panic and make a new prompt.
Panic and make a new prompt.
@GreatLordHades what catmeow1 said, minus the panicking XD

I'd love a new prompt since I was too busy then and now I'm not really feeling the halloween mood.
@GreatLordHades what catmeow1 said, minus the panicking XD

I'd love a new prompt since I was too busy then and now I'm not really feeling the halloween mood.
RkXJJ5L.png
3adgzZD.png
6Dq3jOp.png
tqGkHih.png
bYt72YT.png
AaYNmEX.png
1 2 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 91 92