Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Vul's Doodle Dump (Feedback welcome!)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22
@Rowanhart
8 years of practice and a million tutorials and art books
And yeah, I use a lot of references for drawing humans, it's not too fun xD I'm currently pretty satisfied with how a majority of my eyes turn out, it's really proportion I'm worried about atm

Most of the time I use Imgur ^^
@Rowanhart
8 years of practice and a million tutorials and art books
And yeah, I use a lot of references for drawing humans, it's not too fun xD I'm currently pretty satisfied with how a majority of my eyes turn out, it's really proportion I'm worried about atm

Most of the time I use Imgur ^^
wORSkxL.png
I forgot Mother's Day was coming up even though I've been helping with the Shadow dom push??? So I spent all day drawing up this phoenix because I wanted to draw something bird-y I like it [img]http://i.imgur.com/XuNmvlz.png[/img]
I forgot Mother's Day was coming up even though I've been helping with the Shadow dom push???
So I spent all day drawing up this phoenix because I wanted to draw something bird-y
I like it
XuNmvlz.png
wORSkxL.png
*sigh* I can't see most of your darn art. Darn chromebook.
*sigh* I can't see most of your darn art. Darn chromebook.
~Purple~
she/they/fae
ENFP
Pisces
Shadow
BWGQXgh.png 0 FFaGQFw.png
rabies banner: gutweed
0 BWGQXgh.png
pings are ok!
@thePurple
Aww, yeah I post a majority of my images to Imgur. I wonder why your Chromebook blocks that???
@thePurple
Aww, yeah I post a majority of my images to Imgur. I wonder why your Chromebook blocks that???
wORSkxL.png
@Vulcanatus
Because my chromebook is a major a-hole.
@Vulcanatus
Because my chromebook is a major a-hole.
~Purple~
she/they/fae
ENFP
Pisces
Shadow
BWGQXgh.png 0 FFaGQFw.png
rabies banner: gutweed
0 BWGQXgh.png
pings are ok!
@Vulcanatus Ooh, cool art! Wonderful pointy teeth and creature side views. You also draw hands pretty well, kudos for practicing those!

Ah, aren't proportions fun? :I On the human sketch from May 8th - the hand's a tad too small and you're right about the forearm being too thin (assuming the character isn't supposed to be super bony). Hand length from the top of the middle finger to the bottom of the palm is about the size of the face (hairline to chin); it'll look shorter in the pose you drew it in, of course, but that might help? The shoulder on the person's right also sees to be sinking, unless it's intentionally lowered.
I'm not sure how well I'm explaining this; would it be okay if I did a quick redline?

Also, are there any particular animals that inspired Error's design? I love his design; feel free to ping me if you ever post a colored version! :O The colors on the digital dragons are really neat, especially the green and black ones, and did I mention I envy your patience drawing all those scales on the red bust? Because I do.

Nice art, keep it up~
@Vulcanatus Ooh, cool art! Wonderful pointy teeth and creature side views. You also draw hands pretty well, kudos for practicing those!

Ah, aren't proportions fun? :I On the human sketch from May 8th - the hand's a tad too small and you're right about the forearm being too thin (assuming the character isn't supposed to be super bony). Hand length from the top of the middle finger to the bottom of the palm is about the size of the face (hairline to chin); it'll look shorter in the pose you drew it in, of course, but that might help? The shoulder on the person's right also sees to be sinking, unless it's intentionally lowered.
I'm not sure how well I'm explaining this; would it be okay if I did a quick redline?

Also, are there any particular animals that inspired Error's design? I love his design; feel free to ping me if you ever post a colored version! :O The colors on the digital dragons are really neat, especially the green and black ones, and did I mention I envy your patience drawing all those scales on the red bust? Because I do.

Nice art, keep it up~
@Archaeoraptor
Heh, hands are a major pain, though I have a lot more trouble making at least decently anatomically correct faces.

Oops I think I accidentally scrapped that picture but I'll remake it
You explained it fine, though you can still do the redline to show me if you like ^^ Thinking about it now, I don't even know if the character is bony. He's always wearing his ridiculous trench coat. Though yeah, considering I've done nothing more of human figure than the bust shot on the front, I was proud of that sketch.

YES! Error and his counterpart Fatal (Who's basically a slightly buffer and more ripped up version) were inspired by a whole slew of things. The very first ideas for their design was inspired by the Amalgamates from Undertale (Though in particular the fanmade Sixbones). Around the same time I got the idea World of Warcraft: Legion was getting close to release and I absolutely adored (And still do) the Felsaber, which inspired the skeleton-y bits, in particular the skull and tail.

The original design also had a very spikey mane, similar to the Felstalker, though I tamed it down to make it easier to draw. The lower jaw is bisected like a snake's, though the upper takes heavy inspiration from goat skulls! And lastly the tongue was inspired by the Tonguetwisters from the HTTYD books! I had a ton of fun designing them :D

And there's a reason I don't normally scale my dragons xD Takes wayyy too long. Thank you for the kind words, it really makes my day!

EDIT: Also I just want to say something- that note about hand sizes is REALLY HELPFUL, considering I've never heard it before despite my extensive attempts at learning proper anatomy
@Archaeoraptor
Heh, hands are a major pain, though I have a lot more trouble making at least decently anatomically correct faces.

Oops I think I accidentally scrapped that picture but I'll remake it
You explained it fine, though you can still do the redline to show me if you like ^^ Thinking about it now, I don't even know if the character is bony. He's always wearing his ridiculous trench coat. Though yeah, considering I've done nothing more of human figure than the bust shot on the front, I was proud of that sketch.

YES! Error and his counterpart Fatal (Who's basically a slightly buffer and more ripped up version) were inspired by a whole slew of things. The very first ideas for their design was inspired by the Amalgamates from Undertale (Though in particular the fanmade Sixbones). Around the same time I got the idea World of Warcraft: Legion was getting close to release and I absolutely adored (And still do) the Felsaber, which inspired the skeleton-y bits, in particular the skull and tail.

The original design also had a very spikey mane, similar to the Felstalker, though I tamed it down to make it easier to draw. The lower jaw is bisected like a snake's, though the upper takes heavy inspiration from goat skulls! And lastly the tongue was inspired by the Tonguetwisters from the HTTYD books! I had a ton of fun designing them :D

And there's a reason I don't normally scale my dragons xD Takes wayyy too long. Thank you for the kind words, it really makes my day!

EDIT: Also I just want to say something- that note about hand sizes is REALLY HELPFUL, considering I've never heard it before despite my extensive attempts at learning proper anatomy
wORSkxL.png
@Vulcanatus Hrm, have you ever checked out the [url=http://foervraengd.deviantart.com/art/MANGA-to-REALISTIC-PART-ONE-215317699]Manga to Realistic[/url] tutorial series? As the title implies it's geared towards people who are used to drawing anime-/manga-influenced faces but want to get into realism, but it's a really nifty facial proportion reference. :o [columns][img]http://i.imgur.com/9hztSMs.png[/img][nextcol][color=white]XXX[/color][nextcol][size=4]Oh man, wouldn't have guessed this was one of your first human figures from the bust down! It's pretty anatomically solid, especially the head angle. Not sure what's going on with the arm on the left but the arms & shoulders were the only real changes here; feel free to ignore the rest, I just traced over them for my own reference. *shakes fist at art program making unnecessary contrast changes* Typically the elbows end at the bellybutton, but since the arms are moved forward slightly, the foreshortening makes them look higher. I also pushed down the left shoulder to be more even with the right, but again, not sure if they were intentionally tilted for posture so disregard that if so. But yeah, overall, it's a really good sketch, especially for an early go at human anatomy! C: [s]Definitely better than I did when starting out, pffft.[/s] There are probably errors in my redline that I'm missing too, so keep up the reference use~[/size][/columns] *high-fives fellow Undertale fan* Whoa, never seen Sixbones before, but that's awesome. And man, didn't notice the snake jaw but that's [i]so cool[/i]. Are Error and Fatal some kind of experiment gone wrong? The "E-5276" bit has me thinking there's a story behind these beautiful amalgamations.... You're welcome, and glad you find the tip useful! :D [sub]edit: *also shakes fist at typos*[/sub]
@Vulcanatus Hrm, have you ever checked out the Manga to Realistic tutorial series? As the title implies it's geared towards people who are used to drawing anime-/manga-influenced faces but want to get into realism, but it's a really nifty facial proportion reference. :o
9hztSMs.png XXX Oh man, wouldn't have guessed this was one of your first human figures from the bust down! It's pretty anatomically solid, especially the head angle.

Not sure what's going on with the arm on the left but the arms & shoulders were the only real changes here; feel free to ignore the rest, I just traced over them for my own reference. *shakes fist at art program making unnecessary contrast changes*

Typically the elbows end at the bellybutton, but since the arms are moved forward slightly, the foreshortening makes them look higher. I also pushed down the left shoulder to be more even with the right, but again, not sure if they were intentionally tilted for posture so disregard that if so.

But yeah, overall, it's a really good sketch, especially for an early go at human anatomy! C:
Definitely better than I did when starting out, pffft. There are probably errors in my redline that I'm missing too, so keep up the reference use~

*high-fives fellow Undertale fan* Whoa, never seen Sixbones before, but that's awesome. And man, didn't notice the snake jaw but that's so cool. Are Error and Fatal some kind of experiment gone wrong? The "E-5276" bit has me thinking there's a story behind these beautiful amalgamations....

You're welcome, and glad you find the tip useful! :D

edit: *also shakes fist at typos*
@Archaeoraptor
I've heard of it but never checked it out, thanks! Looks very informative ^^

And yeah, I've always been a bit scared of drawing humans? I've just practiced with dragons for so long that my first few sketches left me so unsatisfied. But I got a flash of inspiration and really wanted to get back at trying.
But many thanks for the tips! The shoulders is honestly something I never would have noticed as wrong but it looks a lot better like that. Arms and hands are weird xD Well, humans in general are weird but still. It makes me very happy that you decided to help ^^ Hah, the redline you did looks so surprised that he has a hand

Yess, they are failed experiments. Dragons and experiments and radiation isn't a good combination, let those scientists tell you. If they weren't dead.

Also just a random note but I realized I use more human-like eyes for my dragons and my stylized anime/manga-ish eyes for my humans. What the heck me.
@Archaeoraptor
I've heard of it but never checked it out, thanks! Looks very informative ^^

And yeah, I've always been a bit scared of drawing humans? I've just practiced with dragons for so long that my first few sketches left me so unsatisfied. But I got a flash of inspiration and really wanted to get back at trying.
But many thanks for the tips! The shoulders is honestly something I never would have noticed as wrong but it looks a lot better like that. Arms and hands are weird xD Well, humans in general are weird but still. It makes me very happy that you decided to help ^^ Hah, the redline you did looks so surprised that he has a hand

Yess, they are failed experiments. Dragons and experiments and radiation isn't a good combination, let those scientists tell you. If they weren't dead.

Also just a random note but I realized I use more human-like eyes for my dragons and my stylized anime/manga-ish eyes for my humans. What the heck me.
wORSkxL.png
*Casually drops one of my older OC refs* Oh look it's Darius and his gay little bird face look at him he's so cute. I'd tell anyone who happens to follow this thread about him but maybe later [url=http://imgur.com/a/SJWQ3][img]http://i.imgur.com/RwZQC9R.jpg[/img][/url]
*Casually drops one of my older OC refs*
Oh look it's Darius and his gay little bird face look at him he's so cute. I'd tell anyone who happens to follow this thread about him but maybe later
RwZQC9R.jpg
wORSkxL.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22