Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Lore of the Stormsheen Coast
[center][font=cambria][size=7][color=black]I N T R O D U C T I O N[/size] [size=4]CLAN OF THE STORMSHEEN COAST [img]http://i.imgur.com/wKMeqB4.png[/img] [font=georgia][size=3]The Clan of the Stormsheen Coast, or simply Clan Stormsheen, is a group of mostly self-sufficient dragons. While they do rely on trade to furnish some of the finer "luxuries," most essentials are grown, made, or gathered. They also supply a small selection of goods and services to trade partners. Alliances are welcome and encouraged so long as the clans involved conduct themselves in an appropriate and professional manner. In order to join the clan, not much is required. The dragon must follow the few rules, which mostly regard the safety and protection of law-abiding dragon in the lair. They must also provide some service for the clan, though this can be in the form of gathering, a specialized skill, or even assisting other dragons. The only exceptions are those that are limited by age or health. In general, those who do not contribute if they are able to are viewed rather unfavorably. The lair was built by hand on a short cliff just inland from the sea. A winding path connects it to the harbor, though most view flying as the superior method of descent. The building itself is crafted from stone and wood and was erected shortly after the dragons arrived. It is a rather large building that is capable of housing imperials, though no more than a few at a time. This is to allow dragons to remain in their feral form the majority of the time. [item=cattail][item=nickel ore][item=pine branch][/center]
I N T R O D U C T I O N
CLAN OF THE STORMSHEEN COAST

wKMeqB4.png

The Clan of the Stormsheen Coast, or simply Clan Stormsheen, is a group of mostly self-sufficient dragons. While they do rely on trade to furnish some of the finer "luxuries," most essentials are grown, made, or gathered. They also supply a small selection of goods and services to trade partners. Alliances are welcome and encouraged so long as the clans involved conduct themselves in an appropriate and professional manner.

In order to join the clan, not much is required. The dragon must follow the few rules, which mostly regard the safety and protection of law-abiding dragon in the lair. They must also provide some service for the clan, though this can be in the form of gathering, a specialized skill, or even assisting other dragons. The only exceptions are those that are limited by age or health. In general, those who do not contribute if they are able to are viewed rather unfavorably.

The lair was built by hand on a short cliff just inland from the sea. A winding path connects it to the harbor, though most view flying as the superior method of descent. The building itself is crafted from stone and wood and was erected shortly after the dragons arrived. It is a rather large building that is capable of housing imperials, though no more than a few at a time. This is to allow dragons to remain in their feral form the majority of the time.

Cattail Nickel Ore Pine Branch
[center][font=cambria][size=7][color=black]G O O D S[color=transparent]--[/color]A N D[color=transparent]--[/color]S E R V I C E S[/size] [size=4]AVAILABLE TO TRADE PARTNERS AND ALLIES [img]http://i.imgur.com/VwpvYkm.png[/img][/center] [font=georgia][size=4][i]"Greetings, newcomer. Welcome to the Clan Stormsheen. Here, we offer a variety of products and services. Would you like to hear about any in particular?" - Mimosa[/i] [columns][item=pelagas feathers] [nextcol] [indent][size=4][color=darkolivegreen][font=georgia][b]B R E W S[/b][/color][/indent] [font=georgia][size=4]Delicious fruit elixirs to ward off the cold, from berry blends to the authentic apple cider. Drinks are offered in both mild and far more potent forms. Be careful to notice which you choose. [i]Contact: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=27175812]Bree[/url][/i][/columns] [columns][item=stag figurine] [nextcol][indent][size=4][color=darkolivegreen][font=georgia][b]F A B R I C S[/b][/color][/indent] [font=georgia][size=4]A fine variety of linens, wools, satins, and more spun from ethical sources and woven with the utmost care and craftsmanship. Unparalleled quality. Also available in the form of thread or yarn. [i]Contact: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28381602]Ophelia[/url][/i][/columns] [columns][item=ancient knife] [nextcol][indent][size=4][color=darkolivegreen][font=georgia][b]S P A R R I N G[/b][/color][/indent] [font=georgia][size=4]Specialized training for any age and any purpose. Discounts provided for those who train in service of a deity. Please note that violence is kept inside the ring, as physical harm to any clan member will result in serious consequences. [i]Contact: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=9342729]Sanctum[/url] - address as Commander or Sir[/i][/columns] [columns][item=amaranth] [nextcol][indent][size=4][color=darkolivegreen][font=georgia][b]S P I C E S[/b][/color][/indent] [font=georgia][size=4]A selection of spices from every corner of Sornieth. Kept in optimal conditions for flavor retention. The widest variety found in one place. If you've heard of it, it's probably here. [i]Contact: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28226816]Saffron[/url][/i][/columns] [columns][item=bronze fabric scrap] [nextcol][indent][size=4][color=darkolivegreen][font=georgia][b]T A I L O R I N G[/b][/color][/indent] [font=georgia][size=4]Repairs offered for ripped, torn, or damaged clothing. Fees reduced for clothing purchased from the same clan. Service may also be to fine-tune garments that don't fit quite right. [i]Contact: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=3590231]Chapel[/url][/columns] [columns][item=tattered canvas scrap] [nextcol][indent][color=darkolivegreen][size=4][font=georgia][b]T R A N S L A T I O N[/b][/color][/indent] [font=georgia][size=4]Top-notch service provided by a linguist with years of experience. Languages include common, coatl, ancient draconic, flight-specific languages, and a variety of beastclan dialects. [i]Contact: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31783997]Milo[/url][/i][/columns]
G O O D S--A N D--S E R V I C E S
AVAILABLE TO TRADE PARTNERS AND ALLIES

VwpvYkm.png

"Greetings, newcomer. Welcome to the Clan Stormsheen. Here, we offer a variety of products and services. Would you like to hear about any in particular?" - Mimosa

Pelagas Feathers
B R E W S
Delicious fruit elixirs to ward off the cold, from berry blends to the authentic apple cider. Drinks are offered in both mild and far more potent forms. Be careful to notice which you choose.

Stag Figurine
F A B R I C S
A fine variety of linens, wools, satins, and more spun from ethical sources and woven with the utmost care and craftsmanship. Unparalleled quality. Also available in the form of thread or yarn.

Ancient Knife
S P A R R I N G
Specialized training for any age and any purpose. Discounts provided for those who train in service of a deity. Please note that violence is kept inside the ring, as physical harm to any clan member will result in serious consequences.

Amaranth
S P I C E S
A selection of spices from every corner of Sornieth. Kept in optimal conditions for flavor retention. The widest variety found in one place. If you've heard of it, it's probably here.

Bronze Fabric Scrap
T A I L O R I N G
Repairs offered for ripped, torn, or damaged clothing. Fees reduced for clothing purchased from the same clan. Service may also be to fine-tune garments that don't fit quite right.

Tattered Canvas Scrap
T R A N S L A T I O N
Top-notch service provided by a linguist with years of experience. Languages include common, coatl, ancient draconic, flight-specific languages, and a variety of beastclan dialects.
[center][font=cambria][size=7][color=black]H I S T O R Y[/size] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Vi2i8Vj.png[/img] [font=georgia][size=3]Their queen, Anastasia, has lived over five hundred years. She was born during the time when Sornieth was still young and unblemished, roughly fifty years after the creation of dragons. Her father was a minor deity of autumn and change, and her mother was an exalted patron saint who was once born into the light flight. With the intense magic of her divine father, she would live nearly a millennia before her light burned out. But her life did not progress normally. She has seen the rise and fall of her clan once before. Her original clan was a small one, comprised of dragons that had been drawn by her power. She became their leader, set upon a pedestal to be revered as a demigod, though she didn't act much like it. She took advantage of surrounding clans, her people little more than common thieves. Her moral code was questionable at best, and her dragons followed her blindly. She set herself among the minor deities, playing with the ideas of fate and life. With her clan to provide her with anything she wanted. She grew bored. But not idle. She began to experiment with the material of the gods, fabricating hatchlings in her own image using unfertilized eggs. While the first few went on to live mostly normal albeit much longer lives, this meddling eventually resulted in a stillborn cub. Guilt would bring her to stop as she mourned the child that lay dead in its shell. She would have named it Stormsheen. At first she had relished the undying fealty of her dragons, but after sixty years, her patience began to wane. Distrust ran high among the thieves who fought for the right to serve as a high priest to their queen. It eventually became all too much for her, leaving her to run in disgust. She receded deep into a cave system, forcing herself into a magic coma. It was her intent never to awaken, but eventually the great cataclysm of the first Nocturne's Night would drive her from her burrow. When she awoke four centuries later, few members of her clan remained, unintentionally trapped under the influence of her coma. Her children survived because of their inherent magic. Most "normal" dragons had died sleeping. Only a mirror dragon, his years stolen from him, emerged as an elderly dragon when he had fallen asleep barely an adult. Her children would leave at once, and the mirror several years later. The clanmates that had escaped the sleeping spell had long since died of age, passing into a new age of innovation from the old age of devout religion. Eventually dragons would come to inhabit her magic-scarred lands one more, though they were the kind that no longer cared for the old gods in the same way. They respected them, but did not worship them as devoutly. She would name her clan "Eventide," a word that held the same meaning as her own name, Vesper. Using her stolen riches from the years before, she supported her subjects for a few decades as many dragons came and went. It was an easy kind of purgatory. Forty years later, her son returned to her barely formed clan, possessed entirely by the Shade. Fighting him nearly destroyed her, forcing her to wield raw magic to defeat him. The battle left her scarred and damaged, burning away her brilliant blue into shades of orange and gold. While she managed to cleanse him, he reverted into a child of an entirely different breed. She gave him away to be raised in a clan without her influence. While it hurt her deeply, the occurrence finally seemed to wake her from her aura of carelessness. She began to make her clan more self-sustaining, tucking away a lifetime of riches in a vault to be used only for the direst of emergencies. She chose a new name for herself, one that would give her direction, one that pointed to the greatest anchor in the Dragonhome: the Pillar. She divided her responsibilities between herself and a highly trusted dragon, so she would always have an influence against poor decisions. The clan of Eventide had drawn to a close, paving the way for one that was born anew. Under the new leadership, the clan had begun to flourish. As a final act of change, she opted to move away from her old lands and the old memories. Several dragons followed her to a coastline of the Dragonhome, happy to begin again. There, they rebuilt their home. They grew a new life from the land, eking a living from the dense, rich soils of a place that would come to be called the Stormsheen Coast. [img]http://i.imgur.com/n9rO1ku.png[/img]
H I S T O R Y

Vi2i8Vj.png

Their queen, Anastasia, has lived over five hundred years. She was born during the time when Sornieth was still young and unblemished, roughly fifty years after the creation of dragons. Her father was a minor deity of autumn and change, and her mother was an exalted patron saint who was once born into the light flight. With the intense magic of her divine father, she would live nearly a millennia before her light burned out. But her life did not progress normally.

She has seen the rise and fall of her clan once before. Her original clan was a small one, comprised of dragons that had been drawn by her power. She became their leader, set upon a pedestal to be revered as a demigod, though she didn't act much like it. She took advantage of surrounding clans, her people little more than common thieves. Her moral code was questionable at best, and her dragons followed her blindly.

She set herself among the minor deities, playing with the ideas of fate and life. With her clan to provide her with anything she wanted. She grew bored. But not idle. She began to experiment with the material of the gods, fabricating hatchlings in her own image using unfertilized eggs. While the first few went on to live mostly normal albeit much longer lives, this meddling eventually resulted in a stillborn cub. Guilt would bring her to stop as she mourned the child that lay dead in its shell. She would have named it Stormsheen.

At first she had relished the undying fealty of her dragons, but after sixty years, her patience began to wane. Distrust ran high among the thieves who fought for the right to serve as a high priest to their queen. It eventually became all too much for her, leaving her to run in disgust. She receded deep into a cave system, forcing herself into a magic coma. It was her intent never to awaken, but eventually the great cataclysm of the first Nocturne's Night would drive her from her burrow.

When she awoke four centuries later, few members of her clan remained, unintentionally trapped under the influence of her coma. Her children survived because of their inherent magic. Most "normal" dragons had died sleeping. Only a mirror dragon, his years stolen from him, emerged as an elderly dragon when he had fallen asleep barely an adult. Her children would leave at once, and the mirror several years later. The clanmates that had escaped the sleeping spell had long since died of age, passing into a new age of innovation from the old age of devout religion.

Eventually dragons would come to inhabit her magic-scarred lands one more, though they were the kind that no longer cared for the old gods in the same way. They respected them, but did not worship them as devoutly. She would name her clan "Eventide," a word that held the same meaning as her own name, Vesper. Using her stolen riches from the years before, she supported her subjects for a few decades as many dragons came and went. It was an easy kind of purgatory.

Forty years later, her son returned to her barely formed clan, possessed entirely by the Shade. Fighting him nearly destroyed her, forcing her to wield raw magic to defeat him. The battle left her scarred and damaged, burning away her brilliant blue into shades of orange and gold. While she managed to cleanse him, he reverted into a child of an entirely different breed. She gave him away to be raised in a clan without her influence.

While it hurt her deeply, the occurrence finally seemed to wake her from her aura of carelessness. She began to make her clan more self-sustaining, tucking away a lifetime of riches in a vault to be used only for the direst of emergencies. She chose a new name for herself, one that would give her direction, one that pointed to the greatest anchor in the Dragonhome: the Pillar. She divided her responsibilities between herself and a highly trusted dragon, so she would always have an influence against poor decisions. The clan of Eventide had drawn to a close, paving the way for one that was born anew.

Under the new leadership, the clan had begun to flourish. As a final act of change, she opted to move away from her old lands and the old memories. Several dragons followed her to a coastline of the Dragonhome, happy to begin again. There, they rebuilt their home. They grew a new life from the land, eking a living from the dense, rich soils of a place that would come to be called the Stormsheen Coast.

n9rO1ku.png
[center][font=cambria][size=7][color=black]C O N F R O N T A T I O N[/size] [img]https://i.imgur.com/AoRYEuu.png[/img] [font=georgia][size=3]“FACE ME, MOTHER!” The voice echoed off the stone walls of Vesper’s home, rattling in her ears. Her chest tightened immediately. She knew that voice. Her son had come for her, if she could even call him a son anymore. She leapt to the balcony, seeing the dark shape twisting beneath her. The form was nearly black, with a few glowing points of light to break up the monstrous outline. It seemed to soak up the light around it, obliterating the element that it had been born to. It raged back and forth over the ground, its movements sharp and unnatural. It took only that one look to know that there was no reasoning with this beast. Her only thought was that she had to protect her clan. She winged her way down, landing a short distance away. Her pulse quickened, sending magic coursing through her veins as she summoned a spell. The creature grinned hideously, its mouth a gaping hole torn through its face. The original form of a fae was corrupted beyond recognition, a several meter form dripping with black sludge that hissed into nothingness when it touched the ground. The tips of her claws tingled with magic, and she scratched a runic circle into the air. It reached for the creature, a binding spell that would stop even an imperial dead in their tracks. The monster laughed, a horrible, reverberating sound that rattled her bones. The strands of magic rolled off its slick exterior harmlessly. “MY TURN.” The beast grinned, flinging a wide arc of smoke at her. She only barely managed to avoid it, but she could hear the grass sizzling and popping where it had been struck. Vesper heard Sanctuary’s battlecry echoing out and whipped around. “Stay out of this!” She snapped, desperate to keep her clanmates away from the eldritch beast. Not even the best warrior would stand a chance in physical combat. Sanctuary paced with frustrated distress, but still, she obeyed. Vesper turned back to her opponent. The one she once called a son. Her eyes stung with raw energy, her flesh tingling as she summoned all of the magic her body held. This was something no rune could fix. She screamed a mother’s desperate cry, unleashing a tangled web of light energy. The constructed net widened, pulsing with light. It was a binding spell, a changing spell, a desperate spell designed to stop him by any means necessary. The beast laughed for only a second before it started screaming. As the net began to dissolve, tracing away on the ley lines of the earth, she could glimpse him. He was much smaller now. No, not just small. He was a hatchling. A coatl kit. She drew back for a moment, leaving his tiny claws to scrabble at the ruined mess of ground beneath him. Her pelt smelled raw and metallic, hot with the aftereffects of so much magic. So much that it had burned her vivid blue away. Only a soft auburn and pale gold remained. It held her attention only for a moment before she turned to the kit. Her son. She would never allow him to be corrupted again. This time, he would grow up as far away from her as possible.
C O N F R O N T A T I O N

AoRYEuu.png

“FACE ME, MOTHER!” The voice echoed off the stone walls of Vesper’s home, rattling in her ears. Her chest tightened immediately. She knew that voice. Her son had come for her, if she could even call him a son anymore.

She leapt to the balcony, seeing the dark shape twisting beneath her. The form was nearly black, with a few glowing points of light to break up the monstrous outline. It seemed to soak up the light around it, obliterating the element that it had been born to. It raged back and forth over the ground, its movements sharp and unnatural.

It took only that one look to know that there was no reasoning with this beast. Her only thought was that she had to protect her clan. She winged her way down, landing a short distance away. Her pulse quickened, sending magic coursing through her veins as she summoned a spell.

The creature grinned hideously, its mouth a gaping hole torn through its face. The original form of a fae was corrupted beyond recognition, a several meter form dripping with black sludge that hissed into nothingness when it touched the ground.

The tips of her claws tingled with magic, and she scratched a runic circle into the air. It reached for the creature, a binding spell that would stop even an imperial dead in their tracks. The monster laughed, a horrible, reverberating sound that rattled her bones. The strands of magic rolled off its slick exterior harmlessly.

“MY TURN.” The beast grinned, flinging a wide arc of smoke at her. She only barely managed to avoid it, but she could hear the grass sizzling and popping where it had been struck. Vesper heard Sanctuary’s battlecry echoing out and whipped around.

“Stay out of this!” She snapped, desperate to keep her clanmates away from the eldritch beast. Not even the best warrior would stand a chance in physical combat. Sanctuary paced with frustrated distress, but still, she obeyed.

Vesper turned back to her opponent. The one she once called a son. Her eyes stung with raw energy, her flesh tingling as she summoned all of the magic her body held. This was something no rune could fix.

She screamed a mother’s desperate cry, unleashing a tangled web of light energy. The constructed net widened, pulsing with light. It was a binding spell, a changing spell, a desperate spell designed to stop him by any means necessary.

The beast laughed for only a second before it started screaming. As the net began to dissolve, tracing away on the ley lines of the earth, she could glimpse him. He was much smaller now. No, not just small. He was a hatchling. A coatl kit. She drew back for a moment, leaving his tiny claws to scrabble at the ruined mess of ground beneath him.

Her pelt smelled raw and metallic, hot with the aftereffects of so much magic. So much that it had burned her vivid blue away. Only a soft auburn and pale gold remained. It held her attention only for a moment before she turned to the kit.

Her son. She would never allow him to be corrupted again. This time, he would grow up as far away from her as possible.
[center][font=cambria][size=7][color=black]H I E R A R C H Y[/size] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Qz4x8dr.png[/img] [font=georgia][size=4] L E A D E R Anastasia Title: Queen Duties: Judiciary Rulings, Dignitary Meetings, Major Decisions A D M I N I S T R A T I V E Sweetbriar Title: Bailiff Duties: Financial Record Keeping, Stand-in Leader, Guest Meetings M I L I T A R Y Sanctuary Title: Commander Duties: Military Advisement, Training T R A D I N G Saffron Title: Captain Duties: Ship's Captain, Trading Decisions [img]http://i.imgur.com/hcG2T1b.png[/img][/center]
H I E R A R C H Y

Qz4x8dr.png

L E A D E R
Anastasia
Title: Queen
Duties: Judiciary Rulings, Dignitary Meetings, Major Decisions

A D M I N I S T R A T I V E
Sweetbriar
Title: Bailiff
Duties: Financial Record Keeping, Stand-in Leader, Guest Meetings

M I L I T A R Y
Sanctuary