Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Clan Hub with Lore
[center]this is like 25% for housekeeping for my account as a whole, and 75% for lore. i haven't written down my lore in literal years, as timestamps would imply, nor do i have any real desire to fix any of the obsolete or outdated stuff. i'll jot down vignettes as i want to and that'll just have to do. [img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img][/center] For a clan of the Lightning flight, Lechatelierite is remarkably disorganized and chaotic. Things happen when and how they are supposed to, of course; only infrequently have there been any complaints from the Tempest Spire on the Lechatelierite’s performance. But the organizational systems at work are so incomprehensible even to some of the clan members that it is a wonder anything gets done at all. Like an ant nest, the Lechatelierite lair is almost entirely underground. Well, underground after a fashion; the public chambers are still above ground level, for they are carved into the mesa beneath a lesser spire of the Lightning Farm. The upper part of the mesa is given over to the spire's workings; the lair itself is in the lower portion, and is not accessible via the spire. There is a switchback path cut up the mesa to the spire's landing pad, which the clan uses for deliveries or clumsy fliers. The lair's proper entrance, while not hidden, is neither decorated nor advertised for what it is. The mesa's craggy flanks do a decent job at distracting the eyes of casual observers from the landing strip used by those who wish to avoid the hustle at the public landing pad. This strip leads directly to a winding entrance cavern which the clan calls the "foyer." Through the foyer is a sloping tunnel that leads into the heart of the lair. The public chambers of the lair are set in the mesa itself; meeting places, kitchens, and other public spaces. Some of the more claustrophobic clan members, especially those born into the Wind or Light Flights, choose to make their private quarters in the mesa. These lairs afford glazed windows that look out over the Lightning Farm. Others, who have no fear of the dark or of enclosed spaces, make their private chambers in the properly underground portion of the lair. These are cooler, more protected from the constant thunderstorms, and much more private than the upper chambers. In the deepest parts of the lair, an underground river runs; it flows south from the Sunbeam coast and curves west, toward the Sea of a Thousand Currents. If the Lechatelierite clan can be said to have one singular leader, it would be [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24095203]Dasuron,[/url] the original progenitor of the clan, who led them from the terraced Light lands to the Shifting Expanse. She only recently returned to the clan from the Stormcatcher's service, but already she has fit herself back into clan leadership. Dasuron leads the clan with a council of advisors, something that evolved during her absence to lead the clan. They were (mostly) just as grateful to see Dasuron's return as she was to know that the full weight of responsibility would not ride on her shoulders alone. The council is mostly populated by those dragons who fight for the clan in the Coliseum: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24404161]Ione[/url], [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25886256]Lacuna[/url], [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31700174]Aleksei[/url], [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23703629]Jacques[/url], [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24374604]Ladenfield[/url], [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33264248]Amaizen[/url], and [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20046247]Nox[/url]. Those warriors oversee clan defense and the training of Interns destined for service in the Tempest Spire. The clan mother's Guardian, [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25759702]Iusaaset[/url], holds a place on the council by simple expedient of her guardianship of the clan head. Her mate [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=11920786]Shiloh[/url] as well as clan elders [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23178166]Rot[/url] and [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=7204600]Scale[/url] oversee many of the domestic doings of the clan such as resupply, housing, nest and hatchling care, and many other logistical tasks. This is a log of the goings on of Clan Lechatelierite.
this is like 25% for housekeeping for my account as a whole, and 75% for lore. i haven't written down my lore in literal years, as timestamps would imply, nor do i have any real desire to fix any of the obsolete or outdated stuff. i'll jot down vignettes as i want to and that'll just have to do.

595bwIn.png

For a clan of the Lightning flight, Lechatelierite is remarkably disorganized and chaotic. Things happen when and how they are supposed to, of course; only infrequently have there been any complaints from the Tempest Spire on the Lechatelierite’s performance. But the organizational systems at work are so incomprehensible even to some of the clan members that it is a wonder anything gets done at all.

Like an ant nest, the Lechatelierite lair is almost entirely underground. Well, underground after a fashion; the public chambers are still above ground level, for they are carved into the mesa beneath a lesser spire of the Lightning Farm. The upper part of the mesa is given over to the spire's workings; the lair itself is in the lower portion, and is not accessible via the spire. There is a switchback path cut up the mesa to the spire's landing pad, which the clan uses for deliveries or clumsy fliers. The lair's proper entrance, while not hidden, is neither decorated nor advertised for what it is. The mesa's craggy flanks do a decent job at distracting the eyes of casual observers from the landing strip used by those who wish to avoid the hustle at the public landing pad. This strip leads directly to a winding entrance cavern which the clan calls the "foyer."

Through the foyer is a sloping tunnel that leads into the heart of the lair. The public chambers of the lair are set in the mesa itself; meeting places, kitchens, and other public spaces. Some of the more claustrophobic clan members, especially those born into the Wind or Light Flights, choose to make their private quarters in the mesa. These lairs afford glazed windows that look out over the Lightning Farm. Others, who have no fear of the dark or of enclosed spaces, make their private chambers in the properly underground portion of the lair. These are cooler, more protected from the constant thunderstorms, and much more private than the upper chambers. In the deepest parts of the lair, an underground river runs; it flows south from the Sunbeam coast and curves west, toward the Sea of a Thousand Currents.

If the Lechatelierite clan can be said to have one singular leader, it would be Dasuron, the original progenitor of the clan, who led them from the terraced Light lands to the Shifting Expanse. She only recently returned to the clan from the Stormcatcher's service, but already she has fit herself back into clan leadership. Dasuron leads the clan with a council of advisors, something that evolved during her absence to lead the clan. They were (mostly) just as grateful to see Dasuron's return as she was to know that the full weight of responsibility would not ride on her shoulders alone.

The council is mostly populated by those dragons who fight for the clan in the Coliseum: Ione, Lacuna, Aleksei, Jacques, Ladenfield, Amaizen, and Nox. Those warriors oversee clan defense and the training of Interns destined for service in the Tempest Spire. The clan mother's Guardian, Iusaaset, holds a place on the council by simple expedient of her guardianship of the clan head. Her mate Shiloh as well as clan elders Rot and Scale oversee many of the domestic doings of the clan such as resupply, housing, nest and hatchling care, and many other logistical tasks.

This is a log of the goings on of Clan Lechatelierite.
hHEJ356.gif
5jalyiR.pngyesdxp5.pnghoHl8aR.pngO0XKT1G.pngeMBNBcv.png7kSLaUI.pngwOWKjsX.pngpab2ujj.pngZIv8N2a.png
DPSlXho.png
[center][b][size=4]my wishlist, for whatever it's worth:[/size][/b] [b][size=3]always looking for:[/size][/b] [item=tri-color scatterscroll] [item=silhouette scroll] [item=eliminate] [item=ambush] [item=berserker] [item=tincture of dissolution] [b][size=3]current gene projects:[/size][/b] aberrations have abducted my heart and soul and i need fifty [b][size=3]swipp stuff:[/size][/b] [item=fanned cockroach] [item=dryad's saddle] [item=ancient fungus] [item=bluefin charger fin] [item=translucent fins] [item=amphibious wing] [item=golden snakehead] [item=driftwood branch] [item=driftwood log] [item=onyx cobra] [item=emerald striker] [item=amethyst striker] [item=limestone stalactite] [item=metal claws] [item=giant kelp] [item=white gold cerdae pendant] [item=giant darner] [item=mute swan] [b][size=3]collectables:[/size][/b] [item=mammertee plushie] [item=charged tungsten] [item=prehnite] [item=irradiated pear] [item=rusted treasure chest] [item=iron treasure chest] [item=gilded decorative chest] [item=charged sprocket] [item=magical shard] [item=deepearth geode] [item=glowing ember] [item=all-seeing shroom] [item=shimmering pinecone] [item=eternal snow] [item=giant sand dollar] [item=immaculate tablet] [item=bladed flatleaf] [item=messengers scroll] [b][size=3]any baldwin gloop or reagent.[/b] seriously, any of it. but especially:[/size] [item=gold muck] [item=juvenile prairie skink] [item=weird purple skink] [item=green-throated skink] [size=3]or [b]any of the brewable intermediate reagents[/b] like:[/size] [item=coarse alchemical reduction] [item=irradiated alchemical reduction] [item=fine alchemical reduction] [item=reinforced glass beaker] [item=sizzling phosphorus] [item=infused fragment] [item=imbued sulfur] [b][size=3]any familiar i don't have,[/b] especially the ones i can't brew or grind in Coli for. such as:[/size] [item=maned cobra] [item=spined cobra] [item=driftwood baron] [item=seaweed scavenger] [item=bellus glamortail] [item=barking jester] [item=golden featherfin] [item=golden kitsune] [item=manticore] [b][size=3]fest apparel from before Brightshine 2016;[/b] again, any of it. but especially:[/size] [item=Metallurgists Forgetools] [item=boneyard tatters] [item=frigid fugitive shackles] [sup](aka "these should belong in the 'pfft, as if' category")[/sup] [b][size=3]"pfft, as if" category:[/size][/b] [item=lightning sprite] [item=earth sprite] one day maybe i'll care enough to collect all the sprites and other retired fams. maybe.[/center]
my wishlist, for whatever it's worth:

always looking for:

Tri-Color Scatterscroll Silhouette Scroll
Eliminate Ambush Berserker Tincture of Dissolution

current gene projects:

aberrations have abducted my heart and soul and i need fifty

swipp stuff:

Fanned Cockroach Dryad's Saddle Ancient Fungus Bluefin Charger Fin Translucent Fins Amphibious Wing Golden Snakehead Driftwood Branch Driftwood Log Onyx Cobra Emerald Striker Amethyst Striker Limestone Stalactite Metal Claws Giant Kelp White Gold Cerdae Pendant Giant Darner Mute Swan

collectables:

Mammertee Plushie Charged Tungsten Prehnite Irradiated Pear Rusted Treasure Chest Iron Treasure Chest Gilded Decorative Chest Charged Sprocket Magical Shard Deepearth Geode Glowing Ember All-Seeing Shroom Shimmering Pinecone Eternal Snow Giant Sand Dollar Immaculate Tablet Bladed Flatleaf

any baldwin gloop or reagent. seriously, any of it. but especially:

Gold Muck Juvenile Prairie Skink Weird Purple Skink Green-throated Skink

or any of the brewable intermediate reagents like:

Coarse Alchemical Reduction Irradiated Alchemical Reduction Fine Alchemical Reduction Reinforced Glass Beaker Sizzling Phosphorus Infused Fragment Imbued Sulfur

any familiar i don't have, especially the ones i can't brew or grind in Coli for. such as:

Maned Cobra Spined Cobra Driftwood Baron Seaweed Scavenger Barking Jester Golden Featherfin Golden Kitsune Manticore

fest apparel from before Brightshine 2016; again, any of it. but especially:

Boneyard Tatters Frigid Fugitive Shackles
(aka "these should belong in the 'pfft, as if' category")

"pfft, as if" category:

Lightning Sprite Earth Sprite

one day maybe i'll care enough to collect all the sprites and other retired fams. maybe.
hHEJ356.gif
5jalyiR.pngyesdxp5.pnghoHl8aR.pngO0XKT1G.pngeMBNBcv.png7kSLaUI.pngwOWKjsX.pngpab2ujj.pngZIv8N2a.png
DPSlXho.png
A pink-and-red wildclaw bobbed up to her, clipboard in her foreclaws. "Dasuron-som?" What a mouthful that was. Most didn't bother with the title around here. Regardless, Dasuron ducked her head to look the wildclaw in the eye. "Yes? What is it?" The wildclaw held out the clipboard toward her. "You've been recalled back to your home clan. I'm to take you there. It's my home clan, too; my father still lives there. Some of them mention you sometimes. It seems there's been a lot of dissent within the clan, and several of them have requested to have you back to put the miscreants in their place." The clipboard was tiny, but Dasuron squinted at the text anyway. "They've upgraded to the Lightning Farm, I see. At least it won't be as much a stretch of the wings." "We'll be taking one of the Spire's cannons, ma'am. Standard procedure. Would you sign the bottom of that form, please? Just for the records." She did, and the young wildclaw, whose nametag read 'Shaya,' led the way with bounding strides. "You say you're from the clan? Who's your father?" Dasuron inquired. "His name's Shiloh. He says he met you briefly, before you came to the Tempest Spire. The ones who talk about you the most are Ione and Rot, and Rosalind." "Rot's still around? Good. Is Ione still a mess?" "He's our - er, their - Mireflyer. Does a fantastic job. The clan's never hungry or poor." "How big's the clan, these days?" "Usually full to the brim; we can house eighty. Fifty have permanent quarters. A few Resistors use the lair as their base, too. We're all grateful to have some Resistors around, considering we're right under a farm spire." "Eighty?" Dasuron stopped in the middle of the corridor, golden eyes wide. "Yes ma'am. It's grown up a lot since you left." Shaya smiled brightly. "I wonder if anyone will recognize you." Dasuron looked at herself; her vibrant green scales and cyan wingsail, which had been darkest blue when she had left. "I doubt it," she replied, laughing half out of chagrin and half amusement. That had been an interesting shift in the alchemy vats. [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img][/center] Instead of using the landing pad at the peak of the mesa, which led to the spire, Shaya circled around, gradually losing height as she went, until Dasuron saw a flat span of packed earth almost hidden among the crags of the mesa's flanks. Despite how it looked from a distance, this landing strip was amply big enough even for Dasuron's prodigious bulk. Someone was there to meet them: a skydancer with surprisingly long, warm gray fur and a kind look to her Wind-green eyes. She extended one wing in greeting to them. "Good to see you again, Shy. Your dad is on the way; the new Resistor clutch just hatched and he had to see." "Hi Lacuna," Shaya replied, then turned to look at Dasuron. "I've brought back some good news from the Spire! They accepted the request to send Dasuron-som back to us." With a rather melodramatic sweep of her pale wing, Shaya presented the ridgeback. Dasuron snorted. "Io will be relieved," said Lacuna with a chuckle. Then, with a formal nod, "Dasuron-som, kibohain Aiga gat." The ridgeback blinked, but after a moment, replied, "Fienure ranen enual. There's no need for the -som anymore, I think. Just my name will do. I don't like to stand on ceremony." "Just Dasuron it is, then. As Shaya mentioned, I'm Lacuna. My mate Blud and I train in the Golem Workshop; we found ourselves recruited into the clan council at some point, without really knowing why or how." The skydancer shrugged her wings and laughed good-naturedly. "We will be glad to have someone else around to help with the council." "Shaya told me there's been some drama," Dasuron said. Lacuna's long wings folded tight to her back. "Oh, yes. It's never boring around here, but there's been a recent influx of big personalities that don't mix well. But," She stepped sideways and began to turn, "Perhaps we should go somewhere more comfortable than this to talk." "Quieter, you mean?" asked Dasuron ironically, a moment after another of the near-constant lightning strikes hit the spire above them. The growl of thunder all across the Lightning Farm redoubled for a moment, before returning to its original, endless rumble. "How does anyone sleep around here?" "I find it soothing," Shaya commented from behind them. "The lairs below are well insulated from the noise," said Lacuna over her shoulder as she led the way into a tunnel Dasuron had hardly noticed when they landed. "Some of us even like them. Not me, though. Those are too like tombs for me." The Wind-born skydancer shuddered. "The upper lairs are also insulated, but with spells, rather than stone. The view is lovely." She paused, then said, "We have a few personal lairs not in use, right now, but I expect that if you mention to the council that you want a more personalized suite, you'll get one." "As long as one of those free lairs isn't five miles underground, I will be quite content," Dasuron replied with feeling. The other two laughed. Shaya bounced underneath Dasuron's great blue wing and past Lacuna. "I'm gonna go see Dad and tell him you're here. Shall I spread the word everywhere?" "Might as well," said Dasuron. "The few who remember me will give the others warning about my ferocious temper. They will be prepared to meet me." The once-fae had not a mean-spirited bone in her body, and Shaya, who had heard the stories from her sire, knew this. She laughed again before disappearing around a corner. [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img][/center] in honor of my progen's somewhat unexpected return. didn't think they'd get around to my request for a while, but here she is. i never thought i'd be so glad to see my progen again! for those confused by the babble, it's [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1863552]Ursegal, the common draconic conlang that you never knew you needed in your life[/url]. Lacuna's using the traditional first-meeting tundra greeting because she used to be a tundra, and they're all calling Dasuron -som because she was exalted. Dasuron's name (recently changed bc why the hell not) is Ursegal-pidgin for "first mother." Dasuron's original colors, for those curious, were midnight/denim/rust. i had saved a scatterscroll just for her, because midnight and denim are just different enough in all the genes i like to bother me, and rust... isn't a good tert for that combo. her scatterscroll results, radioactive/cyan/charcoal... i lost it. two of my favorite new colors?!? on my [i]progen?!?[/i]
A pink-and-red wildclaw bobbed up to her, clipboard in her foreclaws. "Dasuron-som?"

What a mouthful that was. Most didn't bother with the title around here. Regardless, Dasuron ducked her head to look the wildclaw in the eye. "Yes? What is it?"

The wildclaw held out the clipboard toward her. "You've been recalled back to your home clan. I'm to take you there. It's my home clan, too; my father still lives there. Some of them mention you sometimes. It seems there's been a lot of dissent within the clan, and several of them have requested to have you back to put the miscreants in their place."

The clipboard was tiny, but Dasuron squinted at the text anyway. "They've upgraded to the Lightning Farm, I see. At least it won't be as much a stretch of the wings."

"We'll be taking one of the Spire's cannons, ma'am. Standard procedure. Would you sign the bottom of that form, please? Just for the records."

She did, and the young wildclaw, whose nametag read 'Shaya,' led the way with bounding strides. "You say you're from the clan? Who's your father?" Dasuron inquired.

"His name's Shiloh. He says he met you briefly, before you came to the Tempest Spire. The ones who talk about you the most are Ione and Rot, and Rosalind."

"Rot's still around? Good. Is Ione still a mess?"

"He's our - er, their - Mireflyer. Does a fantastic job. The clan's never hungry or poor."

"How big's the clan, these days?"

"Usually full to the brim; we can house eighty. Fifty have permanent quarters. A few Resistors use the lair as their base, too. We're all grateful to have some Resistors around, considering we're right under a farm spire."

"Eighty?" Dasuron stopped in the middle of the corridor, golden eyes wide.

"Yes ma'am. It's grown up a lot since you left." Shaya smiled brightly. "I wonder if anyone will recognize you."

Dasuron looked at herself; her vibrant green scales and cyan wingsail, which had been darkest blue when she had left. "I doubt it," she replied, laughing half out of chagrin and half amusement. That had been an interesting shift in the alchemy vats.

595bwIn.png

Instead of using the landing pad at the peak of the mesa, which led to the spire, Shaya circled around, gradually losing height as she went, until Dasuron saw a flat span of packed earth almost hidden among the crags of the mesa's flanks. Despite how it looked from a distance, this landing strip was amply big enough even for Dasuron's prodigious bulk.

Someone was there to meet them: a skydancer with surprisingly long, warm gray fur and a kind look to her Wind-green eyes. She extended one wing in greeting to them. "Good to see you again, Shy. Your dad is on the way; the new Resistor clutch just hatched and he had to see."

"Hi Lacuna," Shaya replied, then turned to look at Dasuron. "I've brought back some good news from the Spire! They accepted the request to send Dasuron-som back to us." With a rather melodramatic sweep of her pale wing, Shaya presented the ridgeback. Dasuron snorted.

"Io will be relieved," said Lacuna with a chuckle. Then, with a formal nod, "Dasuron-som, kibohain Aiga gat."

The ridgeback blinked, but after a moment, replied, "Fienure ranen enual. There's no need for the -som anymore, I think. Just my name will do. I don't like to stand on ceremony."

"Just Dasuron it is, then. As Shaya mentioned, I'm Lacuna. My mate Blud and I train in the Golem Workshop; we found ourselves recruited into the clan council at some point, without really knowing why or how." The skydancer shrugged her wings and laughed good-naturedly. "We will be glad to have someone else around to help with the council."

"Shaya told me there's been some drama," Dasuron said.

Lacuna's long wings folded tight to her back. "Oh, yes. It's never boring around here, but there's been a recent influx of big personalities that don't mix well. But," She stepped sideways and began to turn, "Perhaps we should go somewhere more comfortable than this to talk."

"Quieter, you mean?" asked Dasuron ironically, a moment after another of the near-constant lightning strikes hit the spire above them. The growl of thunder all across the Lightning Farm redoubled for a moment, before returning to its original, endless rumble. "How does anyone sleep around here?"

"I find it soothing," Shaya commented from behind them.

"The lairs below are well insulated from the noise," said Lacuna over her shoulder as she led the way into a tunnel Dasuron had hardly noticed when they landed. "Some of us even like them. Not me, though. Those are too like tombs for me." The Wind-born skydancer shuddered. "The upper lairs are also insulated, but with spells, rather than stone. The view is lovely." She paused, then said, "We have a few personal lairs not in use, right now, but I expect that if you mention to the council that you want a more personalized suite, you'll get one."

"As long as one of those free lairs isn't five miles underground, I will be quite content," Dasuron replied with feeling. The other two laughed.

Shaya bounced underneath Dasuron's great blue wing and past Lacuna. "I'm gonna go see Dad and tell him you're here. Shall I spread the word everywhere?"

"Might as well," said Dasuron. "The few who remember me will give the others warning about my ferocious temper. They will be prepared to meet me."

The once-fae had not a mean-spirited bone in her body, and Shaya, who had heard the stories from her sire, knew this. She laughed again before disappearing around a corner.

595bwIn.png

in honor of my progen's somewhat unexpected return. didn't think they'd get around to my request for a while, but here she is. i never thought i'd be so glad to see my progen again!

for those confused by the babble, it's Ursegal, the common draconic conlang that you never knew you needed in your life. Lacuna's using the traditional first-meeting tundra greeting because she used to be a tundra, and they're all calling Dasuron -som because she was exalted. Dasuron's name (recently changed bc why the hell not) is Ursegal-pidgin for "first mother."

Dasuron's original colors, for those curious, were midnight/denim/rust. i had saved a scatterscroll just for her, because midnight and denim are just different enough in all the genes i like to bother me, and rust... isn't a good tert for that combo. her scatterscroll results, radioactive/cyan/charcoal... i lost it. two of my favorite new colors?!? on my progen?!?
hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png
A polite scratch at the door made Dasuron rumble, "Enter." She had not been back to the clan long enough to memorize the distinct footstep-sounds of most, but by the slow pace and the weight behind the paws entering the room, it was one of the larger dragons. Not the imperials, though, for the only one that walked with slow, deliberate strides was Viceroy, and that one always clicked and clanked wherever he went. The other imperials (besides Hemlock, who she had only met once and had no reason to seek her out in private) walked with lighter steps. So it was one of the guardians, or Rosalind. Dasuron turned to face her visitor.

Ah, it was Iusaaset. Dasuron dipped her head in greeting to the black guardian. "Salirenes, Iusaaset-Yevaun."

"Salirenes, Dasuron-soren. May I have a word with you?"

"Of course. Is there a problem?"

"No, I..." Iusaaset cut herself off mid-sentence and shook her head. Her wingclaws were flexing and her tail curling and uncurling with restless, nervous energy. "I heard what happened to make you leave the Sundial Terrace," she finally said. The words tumbled over each other in a rush, as if Iusaaset had to get them all out before she ran out of courage to say them.

"Ah." Dasuron nodded, though not without pain. "And?"

"And... it is my Charge to ensure that no such thing happens ever again. To you or this clan. To find the ones responsible and bring them to justice, if I can. But," Iusaaset sighed, "that is secondary. I do not expect to be so lucky as to get my claws on the somyelostel who did that to you, unless we took the whole clan looking for them."

"I've no intention of getting anywhere near that place again," Dasuron said tonelessly.

Iusaaset had learned enough about her new Charge to know that, when the once-fae lapsed back into her old vocal patterns, she was truly upset. Even without that tell, the ridgeback's body was tense, with the faintest trembling, as if she was fighting back the urge to rattle her spikes. Quickly Iusaaset said, "We need never move from this place, if you do not wish it, Dasuron-isen."

She did not immediately explode (or break down;) hopeful, Iusaaset continued, "Revenge is not in your nature; I have seen this. Much though I would like to rend the perpetrators to bloody bits, my first priority is to keep you, and this clan, safe."

Quietly, Dasuron asked, "In particular, is your Charge to protect the clan, or to protect me?"

"There is no difference." Iusaaset gaped a tiny grin at the surprise that overtook Dasuron. "You are our Dasure-uron, the heart of the clan. Without you, we were a disorganized rabble who could hardly agree on whether the sky was blue!" Before the ridgeback could look too abashed, Iusaaset continued, "But if you desire specifics, then in times of crisis I will protect you from harm first, collect the rest of the clan only after you are safe, and only then come back to ensure that our non-dragon and non-living friends and valuables are well."

"You have this thought out," Dasuron could not help but observe wryly.

"You prompted me to think it out, Dasuron-isen. Thank you." The guardian dipped her head.

The ridgeback flipped her wings to resettle them in a nervous gesture. "It's been a long time since anyone called me that. He used to. It made me think he wasn't so bad, at least at first."

A look of horror overcame Iusaaset. "I-I am sorry, I did not mean to remind you - I will not call you that if you do not-"

"Call me -isen if you want to, Iusaaset-vaken, I do not mind. It will do me good to remember what it's supposed to mean, rather than what it came to mean back then." Dasuron stepped forward and rubbed the side of her face along Iusaaset's cheekbone; the ridgeback's version of a nose-touch. Reassurance, forgiveness. "I am stronger now than I was then, so do not worry yourself any more than you have to."

"'What I have to' will be a lot," said Iusaaset in as small a voice as a guardian could use. "Over everything, probably."

"At the very least, trust me to know what I can and cannot handle. Will you do that?"

"I will try," Iusaaset vowed.

Dasuron nodded. Then, a faint grin parting her jaws, she said, "Will Shiloh-hoten get jealous that you took someone else for your Charge?"

All of Iusaaset's fins fluttered, and she ducked her head in embarrassment. "N-no! I... he shouldn't!"

"It's fine, I'm willing to share your attention if he is." Dasuron rumbled a chuckle at the way Iusaaset wove her head back and forth, as if trying hard not to hide her face under one wing. Finally, she took pity on the guardian, and said, "I'm sure he'll understand. He's good at that."

"Yeah... he is." A tenderness crept into Iusaaset's voice and made Dasuron grin again.

"You'd better make your move on him," Dasuron advised.

More head-weaving followed, but Dasuron did not laugh this time. Iusaaset pulled herself back together after a moment, and in a wondering voice, said, "I should. I'm Sulanal now; people will expect that I settle with a mate, as well as a Charge.

"Sulanal already? Skipping right over Yerlanal?" Dasuron chuckled.

"I was Yerlanal until you accepted me; since this place, this clan, is your settled home, so it is mine. Perhaps others might still call me Yerlan until the Gala is over, but where I come from, the festivals have no bearing on a Charge being taken."

"Very well, Iusaaset-Sulan. Iusaaset-vaken." Dasuron bowed her head formally.

The guardian vibrated with emotion for a moment. She replied, "Thank you, Dasuron-isen."
A polite scratch at the door made Dasuron rumble, "Enter." She had not been back to the clan long enough to memorize the distinct footstep-sounds of most, but by the slow pace and the weight behind the paws entering the room, it was one of the larger dragons. Not the imperials, though, for the only one that walked with slow, deliberate strides was Viceroy, and that one always clicked and clanked wherever he went. The other imperials (besides Hemlock, who she had only met once and had no reason to seek her out in private) walked with lighter steps. So it was one of the guardians, or Rosalind. Dasuron turned to face her visitor.

Ah, it was Iusaaset. Dasuron dipped her head in greeting to the black guardian. "Salirenes, Iusaaset-Yevaun."

"Salirenes, Dasuron-soren. May I have a word with you?"

"Of course. Is there a problem?"

"No, I..." Iusaaset cut herself off mid-sentence and shook her head. Her wingclaws were flexing and her tail curling and uncurling with restless, nervous energy. "I heard what happened to make you leave the Sundial Terrace," she finally said. The words tumbled over each other in a rush, as if Iusaaset had to get them all out before she ran out of courage to say them.

"Ah." Dasuron nodded, though not without pain. "And?"

"And... it is my Charge to ensure that no such thing happens ever again. To you or this clan. To find the ones responsible and bring them to justice, if I can. But," Iusaaset sighed, "that is secondary. I do not expect to be so lucky as to get my claws on the somyelostel who did that to you, unless we took the whole clan looking for them."

"I've no intention of getting anywhere near that place again," Dasuron said tonelessly.

Iusaaset had learned enough about her new Charge to know that, when the once-fae lapsed back into her old vocal patterns, she was truly upset. Even without that tell, the ridgeback's body was tense, with the faintest trembling, as if she was fighting back the urge to rattle her spikes. Quickly Iusaaset said, "We need never move from this place, if you do not wish it, Dasuron-isen."

She did not immediately explode (or break down;) hopeful, Iusaaset continued, "Revenge is not in your nature; I have seen this. Much though I would like to rend the perpetrators to bloody bits, my first priority is to keep you, and this clan, safe."

Quietly, Dasuron asked, "In particular, is your Charge to protect the clan, or to protect me?"

"There is no difference." Iusaaset gaped a tiny grin at the surprise that overtook Dasuron. "You are our Dasure-uron, the heart of the clan. Without you, we were a disorganized rabble who could hardly agree on whether the sky was blue!" Before the ridgeback could look too abashed, Iusaaset continued, "But if you desire specifics, then in times of crisis I will protect you from harm first, collect the rest of the clan only after you are safe, and only then come back to ensure that our non-dragon and non-living friends and valuables are well."

"You have this thought out," Dasuron could not help but observe wryly.

"You prompted me to think it out, Dasuron-isen. Thank you." The guardian dipped her head.

The ridgeback flipped her wings to resettle them in a nervous gesture. "It's been a long time since anyone called me that. He used to. It made me think he wasn't so bad, at least at first."

A look of horror overcame Iusaaset. "I-I am sorry, I did not mean to remind you - I will not call you that if you do not-"

"Call me -isen if you want to, Iusaaset-vaken, I do not mind. It will do me good to remember what it's supposed to mean, rather than what it came to mean back then." Dasuron stepped forward and rubbed the side of her face along Iusaaset's cheekbone; the ridgeback's version of a nose-touch. Reassurance, forgiveness. "I am stronger now than I was then, so do not worry yourself any more than you have to."

"'What I have to' will be a lot," said Iusaaset in as small a voice as a guardian could use. "Over everything, probably."

"At the very least, trust me to know what I can and cannot handle. Will you do that?"

"I will try," Iusaaset vowed.

Dasuron nodded. Then, a faint grin parting her jaws, she said, "Will Shiloh-hoten get jealous that you took someone else for your Charge?"

All of Iusaaset's fins fluttered, and she ducked her head in embarrassment. "N-no! I... he shouldn't!"

"It's fine, I'm willing to share your attention if he is." Dasuron rumbled a chuckle at the way Iusaaset wove her head back and forth, as if trying hard not to hide her face under one wing. Finally, she took pity on the guardian, and said, "I'm sure he'll understand. He's good at that."

"Yeah... he is." A tenderness crept into Iusaaset's voice and made Dasuron grin again.

"You'd better make your move on him," Dasuron advised.

More head-weaving followed, but Dasuron did not laugh this time. Iusaaset pulled herself back together after a moment, and in a wondering voice, said, "I should. I'm Sulanal now; people will expect that I settle with a mate, as well as a Charge.

"Sulanal already? Skipping right over Yerlanal?" Dasuron chuckled.

"I was Yerlanal until you accepted me; since this place, this clan, is your settled home, so it is mine. Perhaps others might still call me Yerlan until the Gala is over, but where I come from, the festivals have no bearing on a Charge being taken."

"Very well, Iusaaset-Sulan. Iusaaset-vaken." Dasuron bowed her head formally.

The guardian vibrated with emotion for a moment. She replied, "Thank you, Dasuron-isen."
hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png
o wo +1
o wo +1
ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
"Dasuron-soren? You came from Light lands, right?" The big ridgeback laid down on her belly to let the hatchlings clamber onto her and find comfortable perches. Once they were all mostly settled, she replied, "Yes. I was hatched in the Sundial Terrace. I was a fae back then, of course, and dark blue all over." The hatchling who had been trying, with minimal success, to use Dasuron's dorsal spikes as a ladder to reach her head finally gave up and tumbled down her shoulder, where she caught him in one paw. He gurgled up at her face. "You were a fae?" "I was. You can ask Rot-gozen; she joined the clan when it was very new, so she remembers." "She doesn't like to talk about the early times," commented another hatchling, who was curled up in the crook of one of Dasuron's wings. "She said so." "I expect she doesn't," Dasuron agreed. There was sadness in her voice. "Why?" came the inevitable question, from somewhere in the vicinity of her tail. A small sigh escaped, then Dasuron said, "Some bad things happened to us there." [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img][/center] What happened to the tiny, nameless clan that would later move to the Shifting Expanse and become the Tudelft was not a story Dasuron would tell hatchlings. to be finished later when i stop being a distracted, uninspired moron
"Dasuron-soren? You came from Light lands, right?"

The big ridgeback laid down on her belly to let the hatchlings clamber onto her and find comfortable perches. Once they were all mostly settled, she replied, "Yes. I was hatched in the Sundial Terrace. I was a fae back then, of course, and dark blue all over."

The hatchling who had been trying, with minimal success, to use Dasuron's dorsal spikes as a ladder to reach her head finally gave up and tumbled down her shoulder, where she caught him in one paw. He gurgled up at her face. "You were a fae?"

"I was. You can ask Rot-gozen; she joined the clan when it was very new, so she remembers."

"She doesn't like to talk about the early times," commented another hatchling, who was curled up in the crook of one of Dasuron's wings. "She said so."

"I expect she doesn't," Dasuron agreed. There was sadness in her voice.

"Why?" came the inevitable question, from somewhere in the vicinity of her tail.

A small sigh escaped, then Dasuron said, "Some bad things happened to us there."

595bwIn.png

What happened to the tiny, nameless clan that would later move to the Shifting Expanse and become the Tudelft was not a story Dasuron would tell hatchlings.

to be finished later when i stop being a distracted, uninspired moron
hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png
[center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=32017581][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/320176/32017581p.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33578644][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/335787/33578644p.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28690295][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/286903/28690295p.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=7204600][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/72047/7204600p.png[/img][/url] Morana [color=transparent]__ __[/color] Asa [color=transparent]__ __[/color] Kabechet [color=transparent]____[/color] Scale [img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img][/center] Even though Asa had grown used to walking once his wingsail became brittle and unusable, that didn't mean he had to like being ground-bound. He kept it to himself as much as possible, though; complaining wouldn't make the journey any faster. He could only hope that Morana didn't resent him holding their pace back. "Are you certain there's an oasis near here?" he asked, glancing up at his companion's angular head. There was no expression on her bony face to read any more than there was on his, but he'd learned to interpret the glint of cyan light that lurked in her sockets. It wavered in wary uncertainty now. "Should be," she rumbled back. "We've been following the course of the river this whole time. I swear the map Ma gave me had it coming up in a spring once or twice more before we reach the Lightning Farm." Now she raised her head to the sky; they both did, observing the perpetual thunderstorm that raged in the skies over the heart of Lightning territory. Somewhere in that storm, so thick with lightning that the clouds seemed to crawl on pale, flickering legs across the face of Sornieth, was the forest of narrow mesas that collected all that raw energy. Asa felt what little fur he had left begin to crawl just looking upon that tempest. Some who hadn't grown up in the Wasteland had professed similar feelings when perched on the Rim of the Wyrmwound. Now he understood the awe they felt when faced with the raging power of an element not their own; one that could easily destroy the interloper. "I think I'll get Edgar to scout ahead," Asa said, then lifted his face to the sky to whistle for his circling familiar. The bonepicker immediately folded his wings and spiralled down to them. He called directions up before Edgar could land, sending the broad-winged beast on ahead to look for the promised oasis. Morana glanced down at her compartiot as the skydancer watched his familiar ride the thermals above them. "What's it like to fly?" she asked. "I never did. My wings wouldn't hold me." He continued looking after Edgar. "In purely factual terms? Much faster and more efficient than walking." He unfolded his wings as far as he dared; just far enough for the dry and paper-thin skin to rustle like old parchment. "In other terms... I know I never appreciated it as much as my ancestors in the Windswept Plateau, but... whenever I was flying, I could forget about all the worries that weighed me down." Morana ruminated on that for a while. That was one of the things he liked about her the most: she never said anything she hadn't considered thoroughly before speaking. She still hadn't replied when Edgar came winging back and trilled an encouragement to the two dragons. Asa got an image of clear water reflecting the sky; the dark shape of another dragon; an impression of distance, though not a great one. They'd reach it in under an hour. "We're close to the spring," Asa reported to his silent friend. "And there's someone else already there." "Trouble?" Asa glanced once more at the bonepicker who'd returned to circling overhead. To his asking, Edgar sent him more impressions of the other dragon. Asa picked up that the dragon was much larger than Edgar, dark of scale but garbed in something shiny. "I don't know. Edgar didn't get much more than a glance. They're big, but the shape is wrong for an imperial. Either a ridgeback or a guardian." She grunted and peered ahead of them. "Not one like us, I expect. Pa said there aren't many outside of our clan." "Possibly trouble. But we won't know until we get there," Asa concludes. "Yes." The oasis made its proximity known at a distance by the grove of vegetation that thrived all around it, a riot of green among the crags of faded sandstone. A dark shape detached itself from the green as they approached, though the guardian waited for them to approach with no outward sign of hostility. "Salirenes, travelers," the guardian said once they were in earshot. "Salirenes," Asa called back. He noted Morana falling back to walk at his flank rather than at his side; she preferred to hold her peace among outsiders. He was content to do the speaking for them both. "We are peaceful travelers who need only stop to drink and find our bearings." The guardian's wary golden eyes regarded them. "In the normal course, I would welcome you to refresh yourself. But it is my Charge to keep the water of this spring clean of taint. W-" Asa interrupted the guardian before she could speak the rest. "We are not contagious, Sulan, I pledge you. Your spring will suffer no taint from us." He heard a faint rattle of irritation from behind him, but kept his gaze on the guardian and didn't turn to see what Morana was doing. After regarding them for another long moment, the guardian dipped her head in assent and stepped aside. "Very well then. Be you welcome, travelers." Asa turned to gesture Morana ahead of him. Not that he expected his companion to do something so precipitous as lash out at their host; Morana was no fool. But he judged it wiser to let her go on ahead and get her out of the guardian's proximity quickly. Morana stalked down to the oasis, making no effort to keep her bones and spikes from clattering with every stiff step she took. Asa padded after her much more quietly, except for the click of his wingbones together. It did help that he was robed in real clothing where Morana was merely wrapped in linen bandages and aged, discarded armor. Edgar came in to land next to him as Asa stepped up to the oasis. From among the packs strapped to Morana's back came a rustle as her familiar Beast slid down off his perch to drink. Rather than merely drink, Edgar plunged into the spring-fed pool and ducked his head into the water, splashing vigorously with his wings until the barbs of every feather were soaked and slicked back so he looked more like a porcupine than a bonepicker. Morana rumbled a chuckle at him despite herself and watched Edgar climb out of the pool, shake vigorously (much to Beast's disgust when he got soaked,) and flop down to preen. Since they would have to wait until Edgar preened himself mostly dry to move on, Morana unslung her packs and took out the map. Asa sorted through them to retrieve food, which he dispensed before settling next to Morana. "Which spring is this?" he asked her between bites of jerked meat. The guardian padded up next to them. "Do you need directions, travelers?" she asked, politely enough that Morana bothered to glance over. "Just to the nearest clan lair," Asa replied. "Preferably one that would accept new members, but I expect not many would take us in." He spoke matter-of-factly, but next to him Morana rumbled again deep in her chest. The guardian gave them another penetrating look. "You seek more than temporary shelter, then?" "Does it look to you like we have such a thing?" Morana shot back. The guardian raised her head to look Morana in the eye, shining gold to a glimmer of cyan. "How would I know if you did or did not? I ask a simple question." Asa answered before Morana could get more annoyed. "Yes, that's what we seek. Do you know of any clans who would take us?" The guardian transferred her gaze to him. "I might," she said, but only after a long pause. "At the very least, they would offer you shelter for long enough to find a more congenial clan. Some of their number would not make you feel welcome, but those in authority are more generous than those dissenters. If you are willing to brave the scorn, I can show you the way there." Another pause. "Can either of you fly?" "I can, for short distances and in calm skies," Morana grated reluctantly. "But he cannot. And I cannot fly burdened with our packs." "There is an entrance that can be reached without flight." The guardian stood. "Fetch me when you are ready to depart and I will take you there." [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img][/center] Their guide finally introduced herself as Kabechet during the trek to what turned out to be the guardian's home clan. It also turned out to be deep in the Lightning Farm, in one of the towering mesas that hosted a jagged copper spire struck every few moments by a bolt out of the boiling clouds. Asa was deafened by the thunder after mere moments of walking under the cacophony. As promised, Kabechet led them to a metal hatchway that looked to open right into the living stone of the mesa, except that on the other side was a chamber lit by electric lights. Kabechet gestured them inside, where Asa saw a forgettable fae perched on a stool. In front of the fae was a contraption that made [i]tak-tak-tak[/i] sounds as they tapped at it, and some strange light reflected onto their face. "I am taking these two to the lair level," Kabechet told the fae. "Send a message to Dasuron, please?" The fae's dorsal frill lifted and flattened, which their guide took as assent, because she turned without another word and led them through another door. This tunnel looked more rough hewn, more like tunnels Asa was used to; it was barely big enough for Kabechet and Morana to pass without ducking their heads. It wound up and up in a spiralling path gentle enough not to strain them to keep up, lit by more electric lights buzzing overhead. Every now and then a window glazed with thick glass looked out over the Lightning Farm, proving to them how high they climbed. Less often, metal doors punctuated the inner side. "Is there anything on this side?" he asked, extending a wing to brush the stone wall on the inside of the curving path. "Yes. This passage sits on the outside of the lair chambers and provides access to each level. At the peak of the mesa is the Farm spire and its workings; below is the lair. Many of our public chambers are in this part of the mesa. At and below ground level are storage areas and some private chambers for those who don't mind being enclosed in a tomb." Kabechet shivered a little. "Those hatched of Earth and Shadow even like them, but they give me and many others the horrors." "If the spire explodes, I'd rather be too far under it to be affected by the blast," Morana commented blandly. That made Asa blink. "Do spires explode often?" Morana chuckled as Kabechet shot a glare over her shoulder. "No." A whirl of glistening scales shot toward them and barely swerved around Kabechet's head in time to avoid hitting her. The spiral did latch onto the wing-claw the guardian raised, coiling her body around it to turn Ice-pale eyes to the newcomers. "Kabechet, these are the new ones? Where did you find them? What - who are they?" Asa coud tell by the quavery tone and (relatively) slow enunciation that this spiral was getting on in years, through she showed little sign of it on her shiny hide. Kabechet turned her great head to look from her clanmate to the two strangers. "I did not ask their names, but yes, they are the new ones. They came to one of my oases and asked to be granted shelter. I knew what Dasuron-soren would say if it came to her attention that I refused them." The spiral's eyes twinkled in a smile. "Yes, so do I. Dasuron is busy arguing with Roland and Io right now, so I'll take them in." She uncoiled from Kabechet's wing and hovered while the guardian padded up the pathway to another door, through which she disappeared. "My name is Scale," said the spiral. "I'm the clan's librarian and records-keeper. Come this way!" Without further ado, she shot off back the way they'd come. They only descended a short distance before they found Scale wound around the latch to another metal door. Without being asked, Morana raised a claw to open the door for her. "Thank you," the spiral said as they passed. "The engineers say they'll make these open automatically some day, but I expect 'some day' will be a while in coming." Scale's forthright friendliness after Kabechet's cold formality was refreshing. Even Morana unbent enough to rumble, "That sounds like what my hatch-clan was told every time we reported the cannons malfunctioning." Scale chuckled as she flew after them into the room. "Well, you won't have to worry about that here. One of our clan-daughters is an ECT and she keeps ours running right and tight." The spry spiral settled around the brass stand of a lamp that cast warm amber light onto a desk cluttered with paper. "Now then, are you two visiting, or staying permanently?" [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img][/center] Asa sprawled on the sill of the wide window that looked out over the Lightning Farm. Edgar was curled against his feet and squinting with every evidence of contentment into the dancing lightning in the sky around and above. Morana clicked up behind him and rested her chin on his shoulder. "Lovely view," she observed. "Almost as good as flying," he replied. "Better than flying. We're behind stone, glass, and spells. No danger of getting struck down." He laughed a little and rested his cheek against her muzzle. "You have a point."

32017581p.png 33578644p.png 28690295p.png 7204600p.png
Morana __ __ Asa __ __ Kabechet ____ Scale

595bwIn.png

Even though Asa had grown used to walking once his wingsail became brittle and unusable, that didn't mean he had to like being ground-bound. He kept it to himself as much as possible, though; complaining wouldn't make the journey any faster. He could only hope that Morana didn't resent him holding their pace back.

"Are you certain there's an oasis near here?" he asked, glancing up at his companion's angular head. There was no expression on her bony face to read any more than there was on his, but he'd learned to interpret the glint of cyan light that lurked in her sockets. It wavered in wary uncertainty now.

"Should be," she rumbled back. "We've been following the course of the river this whole time. I swear the map Ma gave me had it coming up in a spring once or twice more before we reach the Lightning Farm." Now she raised her head to the sky; they both did, observing the perpetual thunderstorm that raged in the skies over the heart of Lightning territory. Somewhere in that storm, so thick with lightning that the clouds seemed to crawl on pale, flickering legs across the face of Sornieth, was the forest of narrow mesas that collected all that raw energy.

Asa felt what little fur he had left begin to crawl just looking upon that tempest. Some who hadn't grown up in the Wasteland had professed similar feelings when perched on the Rim of the Wyrmwound. Now he understood the awe they felt when faced with the raging power of an element not their own; one that could easily destroy the interloper.

"I think I'll get Edgar to scout ahead," Asa said, then lifted his face to the sky to whistle for his circling familiar. The bonepicker immediately folded his wings and spiralled down to them. He called directions up before Edgar could land, sending the broad-winged beast on ahead to look for the promised oasis.

Morana glanced down at her compartiot as the skydancer watched his familiar ride the thermals above them. "What's it like to fly?" she asked. "I never did. My wings wouldn't hold me."

He continued looking after Edgar. "In purely factual terms? Much faster and more efficient than walking." He unfolded his wings as far as he dared; just far enough for the dry and paper-thin skin to rustle like old parchment. "In other terms... I know I never appreciated it as much as my ancestors in the Windswept Plateau, but... whenever I was flying, I could forget about all the worries that weighed me down."

Morana ruminated on that for a while. That was one of the things he liked about her the most: she never said anything she hadn't considered thoroughly before speaking. She still hadn't replied when Edgar came winging back and trilled an encouragement to the two dragons. Asa got an image of clear water reflecting the sky; the dark shape of another dragon; an impression of distance, though not a great one. They'd reach it in under an hour.

"We're close to the spring," Asa reported to his silent friend. "And there's someone else already there."

"Trouble?"

Asa glanced once more at the bonepicker who'd returned to circling overhead. To his asking, Edgar sent him more impressions of the other dragon. Asa picked up that the dragon was much larger than Edgar, dark of scale but garbed in something shiny. "I don't know. Edgar didn't get much more than a glance. They're big, but the shape is wrong for an imperial. Either a ridgeback or a guardian."

She grunted and peered ahead of them. "Not one like us, I expect. Pa said there aren't many outside of our clan."

"Possibly trouble. But we won't know until we get there," Asa concludes.

"Yes."

The oasis made its proximity known at a distance by the grove of vegetation that thrived all around it, a riot of green among the crags of faded sandstone. A dark shape detached itself from the green as they approached, though the guardian waited for them to approach with no outward sign of hostility.

"Salirenes, travelers," the guardian said once they were in earshot.

"Salirenes," Asa called back. He noted Morana falling back to walk at his flank rather than at his side; she preferred to hold her peace among outsiders. He was content to do the speaking for them both. "We are peaceful travelers who need only stop to drink and find our bearings."

The guardian's wary golden eyes regarded them. "In the normal course, I would welcome you to refresh yourself. But it is my Charge to keep the water of this spring clean of taint. W-"

Asa interrupted the guardian before she could speak the rest. "We are not contagious, Sulan, I pledge you. Your spring will suffer no taint from us." He heard a faint rattle of irritation from behind him, but kept his gaze on the guardian and didn't turn to see what Morana was doing.

After regarding them for another long moment, the guardian dipped her head in assent and stepped aside. "Very well then. Be you welcome, travelers."

Asa turned to gesture Morana ahead of him. Not that he expected his companion to do something so precipitous as lash out at their host; Morana was no fool. But he judged it wiser to let her go on ahead and get her out of the guardian's proximity quickly. Morana stalked down to the oasis, making no effort to keep her bones and spikes from clattering with every stiff step she took. Asa padded after her much more quietly, except for the click of his wingbones together. It did help that he was robed in real clothing where Morana was merely wrapped in linen bandages and aged, discarded armor.

Edgar came in to land next to him as Asa stepped up to the oasis. From among the packs strapped to Morana's back came a rustle as her familiar Beast slid down off his perch to drink. Rather than merely drink, Edgar plunged into the spring-fed pool and ducked his head into the water, splashing vigorously with his wings until the barbs of every feather were soaked and slicked back so he looked more like a porcupine than a bonepicker. Morana rumbled a chuckle at him despite herself and watched Edgar climb out of the pool, shake vigorously (much to Beast's disgust when he got soaked,) and flop down to preen.

Since they would have to wait until Edgar preened himself mostly dry to move on, Morana unslung her packs and took out the map. Asa sorted through them to retrieve food, which he dispensed before settling next to Morana. "Which spring is this?" he asked her between bites of jerked meat.

The guardian padded up next to them. "Do you need directions, travelers?" she asked, politely enough that Morana bothered to glance over.

"Just to the nearest clan lair," Asa replied. "Preferably one that would accept new members, but I expect not many would take us in." He spoke matter-of-factly, but next to him Morana rumbled again deep in her chest.

The guardian gave them another penetrating look. "You seek more than temporary shelter, then?"

"Does it look to you like we have such a thing?" Morana shot back.

The guardian raised her head to look Morana in the eye, shining gold to a glimmer of cyan. "How would I know if you did or did not? I ask a simple question."

Asa answered before Morana could get more annoyed. "Yes, that's what we seek. Do you know of any clans who would take us?"

The guardian transferred her gaze to him. "I might," she said, but only after a long pause. "At the very least, they would offer you shelter for long enough to find a more congenial clan. Some of their number would not make you feel welcome, but those in authority are more generous than those dissenters. If you are willing to brave the scorn, I can show you the way there." Another pause. "Can either of you fly?"

"I can, for short distances and in calm skies," Morana grated reluctantly. "But he cannot. And I cannot fly burdened with our packs."

"There is an entrance that can be reached without flight." The guardian stood. "Fetch me when you are ready to depart and I will take you there."
595bwIn.png

Their guide finally introduced herself as Kabechet during the trek to what turned out to be the guardian's home clan. It also turned out to be deep in the Lightning Farm, in one of the towering mesas that hosted a jagged copper spire struck every few moments by a bolt out of the boiling clouds. Asa was deafened by the thunder after mere moments of walking under the cacophony.

As promised, Kabechet led them to a metal hatchway that looked to open right into the living stone of the mesa, except that on the other side was a chamber lit by electric lights. Kabechet gestured them inside, where Asa saw a forgettable fae perched on a stool. In front of the fae was a contraption that made tak-tak-tak sounds as they tapped at it, and some strange light reflected onto their face.

"I am taking these two to the lair level," Kabechet told the fae. "Send a message to Dasuron, please?"

The fae's dorsal frill lifted and flattened, which their guide took as assent, because she turned without another word and led them through another door. This tunnel looked more rough hewn, more like tunnels Asa was used to; it was barely big enough for Kabechet and Morana to pass without ducking their heads. It wound up and up in a spiralling path gentle enough not to strain them to keep up, lit by more electric lights buzzing overhead. Every now and then a window glazed with thick glass looked out over the Lightning Farm, proving to them how high they climbed. Less often, metal doors punctuated the inner side.

"Is there anything on this side?" he asked, extending a wing to brush the stone wall on the inside of the curving path.

"Yes. This passage sits on the outside of the lair chambers and provides access to each level. At the peak of the mesa is the Farm spire and its workings; below is the lair. Many of our public chambers are in this part of the mesa. At and below ground level are storage areas and some private chambers for those who don't mind being enclosed in a tomb." Kabechet shivered a little. "Those hatched of Earth and Shadow even like them, but they give me and many others the horrors."

"If the spire explodes, I'd rather be too far under it to be affected by the blast," Morana commented blandly.

That made Asa blink. "Do spires explode often?"

Morana chuckled as Kabechet shot a glare over her shoulder. "No."

A whirl of glistening scales shot toward them and barely swerved around Kabechet's head in time to avoid hitting her. The spiral did latch onto the wing-claw the guardian raised, coiling her body around it to turn Ice-pale eyes to the newcomers. "Kabechet, these are the new ones? Where did you find them? What - who are they?"

Asa coud tell by the quavery tone and (relatively) slow enunciation that this spiral was getting on in years, through she showed little sign of it on her shiny hide. Kabechet turned her great head to look from her clanmate to the two strangers. "I did not ask their names, but yes, they are the new ones. They came to one of my oases and asked to be granted shelter. I knew what Dasuron-soren would say if it came to her attention that I refused them."

The spiral's eyes twinkled in a smile. "Yes, so do I. Dasuron is busy arguing with Roland and Io right now, so I'll take them in." She uncoiled from Kabechet's wing and hovered while the guardian padded up the pathway to another door, through which she disappeared.

"My name is Scale," said the spiral. "I'm the clan's librarian and records-keeper. Come this way!" Without further ado, she shot off back the way they'd come.

They only descended a short distance before they found Scale wound around the latch to another metal door. Without being asked, Morana raised a claw to open the door for her.

"Thank you," the spiral said as they passed. "The engineers say they'll make these open automatically some day, but I expect 'some day' will be a while in coming."

Scale's forthright friendliness after Kabechet's cold formality was refreshing. Even Morana unbent enough to rumble, "That sounds like what my hatch-clan was told every time we reported the cannons malfunctioning."

Scale chuckled as she flew after them into the room. "Well, you won't have to worry about that here. One of our clan-daughters is an ECT and she keeps ours running right and tight." The spry spiral settled around the brass stand of a lamp that cast warm amber light onto a desk cluttered with paper. "Now then, are you two visiting, or staying permanently?"
595bwIn.png

Asa sprawled on the sill of the wide window that looked out over the Lightning Farm. Edgar was curled against his feet and squinting with every evidence of contentment into the dancing lightning in the sky around and above. Morana clicked up behind him and rested her chin on his shoulder.

"Lovely view," she observed.

"Almost as good as flying," he replied.

"Better than flying. We're behind stone, glass, and spells. No danger of getting struck down."

He laughed a little and rested his cheek against her muzzle. "You have a point."
hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24095204][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/240953/24095204p.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24095203][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/240953/24095203p.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25759702][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/257598/25759702p.png[/img][/url] [color=transparent]_[/color] Adas [color=transparent]____[/color] Dasuron [color=transparent]__[/color] Iusaaset [img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img][/center] He'd been looking for a long time. Long enough that he'd left all the whys and wheres and whos far behind. Why, where, and who didn't really matter, anyway. It might have mattered if he remembered more. He had the vague idea that he hadn't been a tundra when he hatched, but he had a number of other vague ideas that he never could catch before they flew off again. It didn't seem important to do that, anyway. What [i]was[/i] important was getting out of this heat. He might not have been a tundra his whole life, but he was one now, and he was learning that tundras and parched deserts don't mix. When he came upon an area where high towers of stone thrust themselves up to meet the flashing teeth of lightning that struck from on high, he thought only that the cloud cover kept the temperature lower, and that was good. Of course, it wasn't long before the reek of ozone covered up any other scents he might have been able to pick up, and that was no good at all. He couldn't see too well with the intermittent lightning as his only illumination in the growing dark. Whatever he had been before, it hadn't left him with a love of the dark. So it was when he could make out the jagged shape ahead. A dragon's copper-colored wings! There was someone else out here! The need for company lent new strength to his faltering wingbeats, but that flash of a wing didn't grow any closer. Not until he'd wound around many of the rocky towers and noticed that the oddly still wing was getting [i]bigger,[/i] though it hadn't moved at all. That was just too odd to ignore. The copper wing-shape resolved itself into a huge metal thing with many dragons moving around the base of it. Lightning struck the metal thing over and over. It was the sight of the dragons down there under the metal thing that made his heart glad. Maybe they knew where food and shelter was to be found. There were a [i]lot[/i] of dragons all moving at the same time, so he had to circle the metal thing once or twice before he saw anywhere safe to land. When he did, a snapper plodded up to him. "Identification?" she barked. He blinked. "Um..." The snapper raised a foot to lift a flat board-looking thing that had been hanging from a string around her neck. "No 'Um' registered here. Where'd you come from, son?" He was beginning to think that there was something more going on here than he understood. It seemed like the snapper figured that out at the same time he did, because she gave him a sympathetic look as she dropped the board. "Confused and lost?" she asked in a much kinder tone. He nodded sheepishly. "Not to worry. There's a clan lives under this spire. I'm sure they'll be willing to give you a meal and a bed while you figure yourself out. Come with me." She turned, more brisk in her stride than he expected, and led the way. He was lost after the first turn. Everything started to look the same once they were out from under the metal thing. It wasn't dark, but they were surrounded by stone and the things that made light buzzed like a fly in his ear. He shook his head until his ears flapped, but the buzzy noise wouldn't stop. Finally, the snapper stopped next to a metal door surrounded by riveted metal set into the rock. She tapped at the door. They waited for a minute, she and he, until heavy pawsteps and the [i]scritch[/i] of claw approached the door to open it. The snapper exchanged a few words with the guardian on the other side while he stared at the bigger dragon's dark bulk. He'd never seen a dragon that big, had he? Oh, he supposed he knew in the abstract that there were dragons bigger than a tundra, but in person... The snapper left before he was done ogling. The guardian turned her white eyes on him and he wanted to shrink away from that critical, pale gaze. "Well, are you going to invite our guest in and close the door, Iusaaset-vaken?" rumbled an amused voice. He knew for sure he'd never heard that voice before, but it sounded familiar all the same. The guardian stepped back. "Yes, of course. Come in, stranger. Meet with our clan leader." He obeyed, scuttling underneath the guardian's dark beard and into the room. This room didn't have any of the fly-sounding lights; instead, warm globes of amber luminescence that made him feel at home somehow clustered at the ceiling and smiled benevolently down on him like miniature suns. There was a third dragon in the room, one even larger than the guardian. This one was a ridgeback who was so bright and colorful next to the black guardian that he had to blink myopically at her. The ridgeback's familiar-unfamiliar voice was as warm as the lights. [i]"Kibohain Aiga gat,"[/i] she told him. Reflex opened his mouth for him, but what came out wasn't the traditional response to that greeting. [i]"Kibohain Pache tagal.[/i] I know you." He tilted his head to the side. "I don't know how, but I know you." Then a name rose up like a bubble from the depths of the Tidelord's great Sea. "Dasuron." Now it was the other two who blinked stupidly at him. The guardian stood up slowly. "How do you know Dasuron-isen?" she rumbled. That was a warning rumble like the thunder outside. Dasuron spread an intensely blue wing over the guardian's head. "Peace, Sulan." Her golden eyes regarded him thoughtfully. "What is your name, stranger?" "Adas," he told her. Suddenly, the room wasn't so warm anymore. The temperature was the same, but Dasuron's cautious friendliness froze. He watched her muscles tighten and her spikes start to tremble. Iusaaset stepped in front of her Charge with her big black wings mantled aggressively; that one step pushed Adas back several more until he was pressed against the closed door. What was so wrong with his name? Why did that upset them so? Adas cringed against the door, ears flat and head ducked under Iusaaset's icy glare. Then Dasuron stood up. That motion pushed Iusaaset the way the guardian had pushed Adas; without making actual contact. It deflated some of the guardian's aggression until Adas could see that there was more wary concern in her than any real intent to make violence. Dasuron looked at her guardian, then at Adas, who dropped his head even more because the ridgeback's gaze was as intense as the noontime sun. "I know how you know me," she told him. "I recognize your voice, though it does not sound at all the way it had when last we met. Your scent is neither ice nor friendship to me." "I am sorry," he said, because that was the only thing he could think to say. That seemed to take Dasuron aback. She eyed him suspiciously. "I do not remember anything," Adas admitted. He felt like he should be ashamed, though he didn't know why. "All I remember is... traveling. Looking for something." "Looking for what?" Now Adas' chin was on the floor. "I don't know," he said in a small voice. "I don't remember." Dasuron sighed heavily. As she did, she deflated even more than Iusaaset had. Her spikes relaxed back into their normal arrangement. "I don't suppose you would," she said, which didn't make sense to Adas, but he picked up his head a little anyway with hope. "It is our practice to offer shelter to those who request it," Dasuron told him. She sounded weary all of a sudden. "Whether temporary or permanent. If you truly don't recall anything -" Iusaaset shot to all fours. "Don't tell me you're -" Dasuron stabbed her guardian with a look as sharp as her spikes. "It is my decision," she said in a quiet voice that did not deceive Adas in the least with its softness. "Times have changed, Iusaaset-vaken. I have changed, and so has he." Adas blinked at the eyes, Ice white and Light gold, that turn to study him. He had no idea what they were talking about, and that must have showed. Iusaaset growled low, but subsided again. Dasuron padded up to Adas and dropped to her belly in front of him to rest her head on the floor, level with his. "Do you give your word that you mean no harm to me or anyone in my clan?" "Yes." He had no trouble giving his word and meaning it. Her gold eyes smiled at him. [i]"Torsahe ranen fek,[/i] Adas. You may stay in in my house for as long as you wish." [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img] there's a link to the Ursegal thread elsewhere in this thread, but [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1863552#post_20113853]here's another one that goes directly to the post that explains the greeting gobbledygook.[/url] i'm cherry-picking what Ursegal words and phrases i use, so take what you find here with a grain of salt. regardless of conlang things, this is the not so triumphal return of my random progen. Adas has had a few scatterscrolls and a breedchange, just like Dasuron. the two progenitors of my clan did not have a cordial parting. one of these days i'll actually write down what happened between them, rather than continuing to dance around the subject.[/center]
24095204p.png 24095203p.png 25759702p.png
_ Adas ____ Dasuron __ Iusaaset

595bwIn.png

He'd been looking for a long time. Long enough that he'd left all the whys and wheres and whos far behind. Why, where, and who didn't really matter, anyway.

It might have mattered if he remembered more. He had the vague idea that he hadn't been a tundra when he hatched, but he had a number of other vague ideas that he never could catch before they flew off again. It didn't seem important to do that, anyway.

What was important was getting out of this heat. He might not have been a tundra his whole life, but he was one now, and he was learning that tundras and parched deserts don't mix. When he came upon an area where high towers of stone thrust themselves up to meet the flashing teeth of lightning that struck from on high, he thought only that the cloud cover kept the temperature lower, and that was good.

Of course, it wasn't long before the reek of ozone covered up any other scents he might have been able to pick up, and that was no good at all. He couldn't see too well with the intermittent lightning as his only illumination in the growing dark. Whatever he had been before, it hadn't left him with a love of the dark.

So it was when he could make out the jagged shape ahead. A dragon's copper-colored wings! There was someone else out here! The need for company lent new strength to his faltering wingbeats, but that flash of a wing didn't grow any closer. Not until he'd wound around many of the rocky towers and noticed that the oddly still wing was getting bigger, though it hadn't moved at all. That was just too odd to ignore.

The copper wing-shape resolved itself into a huge metal thing with many dragons moving around the base of it. Lightning struck the metal thing over and over. It was the sight of the dragons down there under the metal thing that made his heart glad. Maybe they knew where food and shelter was to be found.

There were a lot of dragons all moving at the same time, so he had to circle the metal thing once or twice before he saw anywhere safe to land. When he did, a snapper plodded up to him. "Identification?" she barked.

He blinked. "Um..."

The snapper raised a foot to lift a flat board-looking thing that had been hanging from a string around her neck. "No 'Um' registered here. Where'd you come from, son?"

He was beginning to think that there was something more going on here than he understood. It seemed like the snapper figured that out at the same time he did, because she gave him a sympathetic look as she dropped the board. "Confused and lost?" she asked in a much kinder tone.

He nodded sheepishly.

"Not to worry. There's a clan lives under this spire. I'm sure they'll be willing to give you a meal and a bed while you figure yourself out. Come with me." She turned, more brisk in her stride than he expected, and led the way. He was lost after the first turn. Everything started to look the same once they were out from under the metal thing. It wasn't dark, but they were surrounded by stone and the things that made light buzzed like a fly in his ear. He shook his head until his ears flapped, but the buzzy noise wouldn't stop.

Finally, the snapper stopped next to a metal door surrounded by riveted metal set into the rock. She tapped at the door. They waited for a minute, she and he, until heavy pawsteps and the scritch of claw approached the door to open it. The snapper exchanged a few words with the guardian on the other side while he stared at the bigger dragon's dark bulk. He'd never seen a dragon that big, had he? Oh, he supposed he knew in the abstract that there were dragons bigger than a tundra, but in person...

The snapper left before he was done ogling. The guardian turned her white eyes on him and he wanted to shrink away from that critical, pale gaze.

"Well, are you going to invite our guest in and close the door, Iusaaset-vaken?" rumbled an amused voice. He knew for sure he'd never heard that voice before, but it sounded familiar all the same.

The guardian stepped back. "Yes, of course. Come in, stranger. Meet with our clan leader."

He obeyed, scuttling underneath the guardian's dark beard and into the room. This room didn't have any of the fly-sounding lights; instead, warm globes of amber luminescence that made him feel at home somehow clustered at the ceiling and smiled benevolently down on him like miniature suns. There was a third dragon in the room, one even larger than the guardian. This one was a ridgeback who was so bright and colorful next to the black guardian that he had to blink myopically at her.

The ridgeback's familiar-unfamiliar voice was as warm as the lights. "Kibohain Aiga gat," she told him.

Reflex opened his mouth for him, but what came out wasn't the traditional response to that greeting. "Kibohain Pache tagal. I know you." He tilted his head to the side. "I don't know how, but I know you." Then a name rose up like a bubble from the depths of the Tidelord's great Sea. "Dasuron."

Now it was the other two who blinked stupidly at him. The guardian stood up slowly. "How do you know Dasuron-isen?" she rumbled. That was a warning rumble like the thunder outside.

Dasuron spread an intensely blue wing over the guardian's head. "Peace, Sulan." Her golden eyes regarded him thoughtfully. "What is your name, stranger?"

"Adas," he told her.

Suddenly, the room wasn't so warm anymore. The temperature was the same, but Dasuron's cautious friendliness froze. He watched her muscles tighten and her spikes start to tremble. Iusaaset stepped in front of her Charge with her big black wings mantled aggressively; that one step pushed Adas back several more until he was pressed against the closed door. What was so wrong with his name? Why did that upset them so? Adas cringed against the door, ears flat and head ducked under Iusaaset's icy glare.

Then Dasuron stood up. That motion pushed Iusaaset the way the guardian had pushed Adas; without making actual contact. It deflated some of the guardian's aggression until Adas could see that there was more wary concern in her than any real intent to make violence. Dasuron looked at her guardian, then at Adas, who dropped his head even more because the ridgeback's gaze was as intense as the noontime sun.

"I know how you know me," she told him. "I recognize your voice, though it does not sound at all the way it had when last we met. Your scent is neither ice nor friendship to me."

"I am sorry," he said, because that was the only thing he could think to say.

That seemed to take Dasuron aback. She eyed him suspiciously.

"I do not remember anything," Adas admitted. He felt like he should be ashamed, though he didn't know why. "All I remember is... traveling. Looking for something."

"Looking for what?"

Now Adas' chin was on the floor. "I don't know," he said in a small voice. "I don't remember."

Dasuron sighed heavily. As she did, she deflated even more than Iusaaset had. Her spikes relaxed back into their normal arrangement. "I don't suppose you would," she said, which didn't make sense to Adas, but he picked up his head a little anyway with hope.

"It is our practice to offer shelter to those who request it," Dasuron told him. She sounded weary all of a sudden. "Whether temporary or permanent. If you truly don't recall anything -"

Iusaaset shot to all fours. "Don't tell me you're -"

Dasuron stabbed her guardian with a look as sharp as her spikes. "It is my decision," she said in a quiet voice that did not deceive Adas in the least with its softness. "Times have changed, Iusaaset-vaken. I have changed, and so has he."

Adas blinked at the eyes, Ice white and Light gold, that turn to study him. He had no idea what they were talking about, and that must have showed. Iusaaset growled low, but subsided again.

Dasuron padded up to Adas and dropped to her belly in front of him to rest her head on the floor, level with his. "Do you give your word that you mean no harm to me or anyone in my clan?"

"Yes." He had no trouble giving his word and meaning it.

Her gold eyes smiled at him. "Torsahe ranen fek, Adas. You may stay in in my house for as long as you wish."
595bwIn.png

there's a link to the Ursegal thread elsewhere in this thread, but here's another one that goes directly to the post that explains the greeting gobbledygook. i'm cherry-picking what Ursegal words and phrases i use, so take what you find here with a grain of salt.

regardless of conlang things, this is the not so triumphal return of my random progen. Adas has had a few scatterscrolls and a breedchange, just like Dasuron. the two progenitors of my clan did not have a cordial parting. one of these days i'll actually write down what happened between them, rather than continuing to dance around the subject.
hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48233233][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/482333/48233233p.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25886256][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/258863/25886256p.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31700174][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/317002/31700174p.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=7204600][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/72047/7204600p.png[/img][/url] Ross [color=transparent]____[/color] Lacuna [color=transparent]___[/color] Aleksei [color=transparent]____[/color] Scale [img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img][/center] "Another egg in this one, Scale!" called Lacuna. The spry older spiral scratched another tally onto her log. "That makes nine." "Seven, really," Lacuna replied as she carefully scooped the egg up out of the chest that dissolved into glittery blue powder. "Since two of them ha-" [i][b]BANG[/b] "HEY SCALE, IS LACUNA IN HERE?"[/i] Aleksei shouted as he burst into the library. "Eep!" [i]crack[/i] "...oops." Scale slammed her quill down. "Aleks! What have I told you about coming in here yelling!" "Sorry, Scale. I'm just looking for-" Lacuna turned to the other two dragons, holding the lumpy nocturne egg in her paws. The shell was cracked right through. "I hope the little one is okay," she said in a small voice. Both Scale and Aleks hurried over. Scale landed on Lacuna's shoulder and wrapped her tail around the egg, leaving Aleks to sidle up to his mate's other side and nuzzle her reassuringly. "I feel movement," Scale reported. "But I don't know much about this kind of thing. Someone should go get Shiloh." Seeing that both skydancers were crooning softly, to the egg and each other, she sighed. "Fine, I'll do it." Once they were left alone, Aleks broke away to purloin a few of the cushions Scale kept around the library in comfortable sitting or reclining spots. Lacuna set the egg in the midst of the makeshift nest and curled around it, still crooning. Aleks recognized the croon as the one she used on her own eggs when they were close to hatching. He curled around her and felt her relax a little against him. The egg continued to move, rocking a little in its soft nest. After a few particularly hard shakes, a bluey leaf-shaped muzzle broke through the membrane. Lacuna continued to croon gently, brushing her antennae over that little snout. A beat later, a weak and wavering creel emerged from the egg in response. By the time Scale returned, coiled around Shiloh's neck, Lacuna had the nocturne hatchling cuddled up against her belly, peeping and crooning back and forth with her. Aleks got up to greet the other two. Shiloh ignored him, rounding the cushion nest to inspect the new baby. Scale slipped off him to start cleaning up egg shards, muttering about the mess. Aleks chuckled and obeyed when Shiloh, still without looking up, gave a general order to fetch meat to give the little one. "Let's call him Ross," Lacuna suggested just before Aleks shut the door. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=136&bodygene=0&breed=11&element=7&eyetype=2&gender=0&tert=7&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=7&auth=42ddd33fe9604b67984f07136eb40e9da6821da1&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img][/center] "Hey Aleks?" Lacuna's voice was puzzled. "What?" Aleks strolled up and draped his neck over her shoulders. "Can you go check the storeroom for me?" "Why?" Lacuna gestured, drawing his attention to where Ross was tussling with another of the clan's recent hatchlings. "...How did Ross get those jaguar-spots?" [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48233233] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/482333/48233233_350.png[/img] [/url] [img]http://i.imgur.com/595bwIn.png[/img] strange chests have been very generous with eggs this year. out of curiosity i hatched two, but when those turned out not to my liking (though one was a multi-gaze with enough potential someone bought her,) i decided that was enough and i'd sell any more that i got. as i was opening a few chests the other night, an egg came out. i tend to open whatever chests i have before i go about vaulting anything; a habit that came back to bite me when i misclicked on the egg rather than the chest. i lamented the loss of several hundred gems when i went to my lair to see what abomination my crappy egg-hatching luck had given me. then i saw his colors. cobalt/charcoal/charcoal. within an hour of being born, Bob Ross the happy accident was fully gened and a permababy, to the tune of 1500 gems and 200kt-ish. no ragrets.[/center]
48233233p.png 25886256p.png 31700174p.png 7204600p.png

Ross ____ Lacuna ___ Aleksei ____ Scale

595bwIn.png

"Another egg in this one, Scale!" called Lacuna.

The spry older spiral scratched another tally onto her log. "That makes nine."

"Seven, really," Lacuna replied as she carefully scooped the egg up out of the chest that dissolved into glittery blue powder. "Since two of them ha-"

BANG "HEY SCALE, IS LACUNA IN HERE?" Aleksei shouted as he burst into the library.

"Eep!" crack "...oops."

Scale slammed her quill down. "Aleks! What have I told you about coming in here yelling!"

"Sorry, Scale. I'm just looking for-"

Lacuna turned to the other two dragons, holding the lumpy nocturne egg in her paws. The shell was cracked right through. "I hope the little one is okay," she said in a small voice.

Both Scale and Aleks hurried over. Scale landed on Lacuna's shoulder and wrapped her tail around the egg, leaving Aleks to sidle up to his mate's other side and nuzzle her reassuringly.

"I feel movement," Scale reported. "But I don't know much about this kind of thing. Someone should go get Shiloh." Seeing that both skydancers were crooning softly, to the egg and each other, she sighed. "Fine, I'll do it."

Once they were left alone, Aleks broke away to purloin a few of the cushions Scale kept around the library in comfortable sitting or reclining spots. Lacuna set the egg in the midst of the makeshift nest and curled around it, still crooning. Aleks recognized the croon as the one she used on her own eggs when they were close to hatching. He curled around her and felt her relax a little against him.

The egg continued to move, rocking a little in its soft nest. After a few particularly hard shakes, a bluey leaf-shaped muzzle broke through the membrane. Lacuna continued to croon gently, brushing her antennae over that little snout. A beat later, a weak and wavering creel emerged from the egg in response.

By the time Scale returned, coiled around Shiloh's neck, Lacuna had the nocturne hatchling cuddled up against her belly, peeping and crooning back and forth with her. Aleks got up to greet the other two.

Shiloh ignored him, rounding the cushion nest to inspect the new baby. Scale slipped off him to start cleaning up egg shards, muttering about the mess. Aleks chuckled and obeyed when Shiloh, still without looking up, gave a general order to fetch meat to give the little one.

"Let's call him Ross," Lacuna suggested just before Aleks shut the door.

dragon?age=0&body=136&bodygene=0&breed=11&element=7&eyetype=2&gender=0&tert=7&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=7&auth=42ddd33fe9604b67984f07136eb40e9da6821da1&dummyext=prev.png

595bwIn.png

"Hey Aleks?" Lacuna's voice was puzzled.

"What?" Aleks strolled up and draped his neck over her shoulders.

"Can you go check the storeroom for me?"

"Why?"

Lacuna gestured, drawing his attention to where Ross was tussling with another of the clan's recent hatchlings.

"...How did Ross get those jaguar-spots?"

48233233_350.png

595bwIn.png

strange chests have been very generous with eggs this year. out of curiosity i hatched two, but when those turned out not to my liking (though one was a multi-gaze with enough potential someone bought her,) i decided that was enough and i'd sell any more that i got.

as i was opening a few chests the other night, an egg came out. i tend to open whatever chests i have before i go about vaulting anything; a habit that came back to bite me when i misclicked on the egg rather than the chest.

i lamented the loss of several hundred gems when i went to my lair to see what abomination my crappy egg-hatching luck had given me.

then i saw his colors. cobalt/charcoal/charcoal.

within an hour of being born, Bob Ross the happy accident was fully gened and a permababy, to the tune of 1500 gems and 200kt-ish. no ragrets.
hHEJ356.gif
DPSlXho.png