Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | So You Think You Can Write
1 2 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 186 187
@PurpleHibiscus

Yo, that was scary good. All I did was reuse an old idea I had like ages ago and never persued. You, my good sir (ma'am? Swamp Monster?) deserve to win. I'll demand a revote if not.
@PurpleHibiscus

Yo, that was scary good. All I did was reuse an old idea I had like ages ago and never persued. You, my good sir (ma'am? Swamp Monster?) deserve to win. I'll demand a revote if not.
HKrGNct.pngaeUUUJn.png
aw one liked mine... I was going for a realistic version of events... I can't ever seem to impress the right person.... darn it...
aw one liked mine... I was going for a realistic version of events... I can't ever seem to impress the right person.... darn it...
@Astomnus

Prompt: Dreams and Nightmares

Take me to the galaxy,
a world without night.
Sprinkle me in starlight,
paint me with all the colors of the cosmos.
It’s like a dream here.

Where the flowers dance in the breeze,
and butterflies rise in a kaleidoscope whorl.
Softly the fishes hum, and swan song fills the air.
Take me to the galaxy,
filled with my dreamlike imagination.

Here the water feels like silk,
and a thousand pink fans salute the sun.
Golden apples glitter on tree branches,
and crystals dot the landscape.
My dreams shape the world.

When shadows pass over the sun,
the world changes into something dark and forbidding.
A music box tinkles in the distance,
a dreamcatcher sways in the wind,
ominous signs as I run through the forest.

Tick tock tick tock, something’s changing again.
The trees lash themselves into a frenzy,
wooden limbs reaching out to grasp me.
Pale eyes watch me, hidden behind leaves.
I want the sun to come out again.

Where am I? Where am I?
Something chases me, creeping on quiet feet.
A two-faced world filled with endless thrills,
but I am lost in a sea of tar.
Drown me, pull me, it won’t let me go.

Feel the rising sun.
@Astomnus

Prompt: Dreams and Nightmares

Take me to the galaxy,
a world without night.
Sprinkle me in starlight,
paint me with all the colors of the cosmos.
It’s like a dream here.

Where the flowers dance in the breeze,
and butterflies rise in a kaleidoscope whorl.
Softly the fishes hum, and swan song fills the air.
Take me to the galaxy,
filled with my dreamlike imagination.

Here the water feels like silk,
and a thousand pink fans salute the sun.
Golden apples glitter on tree branches,
and crystals dot the landscape.
My dreams shape the world.

When shadows pass over the sun,
the world changes into something dark and forbidding.
A music box tinkles in the distance,
a dreamcatcher sways in the wind,
ominous signs as I run through the forest.

Tick tock tick tock, something’s changing again.
The trees lash themselves into a frenzy,
wooden limbs reaching out to grasp me.
Pale eyes watch me, hidden behind leaves.
I want the sun to come out again.

Where am I? Where am I?
Something chases me, creeping on quiet feet.
A two-faced world filled with endless thrills,
but I am lost in a sea of tar.
Drown me, pull me, it won’t let me go.

Feel the rising sun.
HJ96ihU.pngGSD8hcq.pngMm9DGm5.png
@Astomnus
Aaalright here we go. I sorta had this idea for a fae lord and his young servant irrepairably indebted to him. Without further adieu:

Dreams and Nightmares

There was a very thin line between dreams and the nightmares that followed. A silver lining that really wasn't all that silver for the line that it danced. It wasn't for the dreamers, nor the realists. The line between the two was avoided by most.

"Fools run in where angels don't dare to tread, so they say. I am neither."

"Surely, my lord, for you are a devil."

There was a slow, resolute kind of truth in the languid smile that followed in reply. He shook out his hair and stood from his chair in a fluid motion that made him look so unfairly graceful and beautiful. His young servant stood by, and sighed quietly. Oh, surely... his lord was that silver lining.

The Lord Leonidas was a beautiful phantom of a man, surely. The looks of an angel, with his angular, sharp cheekbones and strong but lanky frame. Eyes that looked soft enough to melt the heart of anyone with the compassion in them, the color of melted caramel and sunlight. Soft black hair framed his face in a mane of layers that never seemed out of place, no matter how disarrayed it was. Long witch fingers with the softest fingertips, warm and soft and comforting. Surely, he was a dream come true. ...Well, he was the lord's servant Carabis' dream, anyway.

But even Carabis knew better. This man that looked like an angel was nothing of the kind. What looked like such a beautiful seraphim of a lord was nothing less of the devil himself on the inside. A soul black as pitch, and no heart to be spoken of but for the honeyed words that spilled from his lips to further his own gain. If only someone other than the young servant could see the icy death that lurked just behind the warmth of his lord's sunny eyes and 'warm' smile... Leonidas truly was a nightmare disguised in a dream's clothing.

Oh, but Carabis would never say that. He valued his life that much, at least. He'd just say what his lord wanted him to. Leonidas was the silver lining between dream and nightmare, and he was dragging Carabis down into the depths to drown with him.

"Well, my boy. I do believe we have debts owed us to claim, today... now, don't we?"

"Ah- of course, my lord," Carabis murmured, holding the door open for his master, "...We wouldn't want to keep them waiting."
@Astomnus
Aaalright here we go. I sorta had this idea for a fae lord and his young servant irrepairably indebted to him. Without further adieu:

Dreams and Nightmares

There was a very thin line between dreams and the nightmares that followed. A silver lining that really wasn't all that silver for the line that it danced. It wasn't for the dreamers, nor the realists. The line between the two was avoided by most.

"Fools run in where angels don't dare to tread, so they say. I am neither."

"Surely, my lord, for you are a devil."

There was a slow, resolute kind of truth in the languid smile that followed in reply. He shook out his hair and stood from his chair in a fluid motion that made him look so unfairly graceful and beautiful. His young servant stood by, and sighed quietly. Oh, surely... his lord was that silver lining.

The Lord Leonidas was a beautiful phantom of a man, surely. The looks of an angel, with his angular, sharp cheekbones and strong but lanky frame. Eyes that looked soft enough to melt the heart of anyone with the compassion in them, the color of melted caramel and sunlight. Soft black hair framed his face in a mane of layers that never seemed out of place, no matter how disarrayed it was. Long witch fingers with the softest fingertips, warm and soft and comforting. Surely, he was a dream come true. ...Well, he was the lord's servant Carabis' dream, anyway.

But even Carabis knew better. This man that looked like an angel was nothing of the kind. What looked like such a beautiful seraphim of a lord was nothing less of the devil himself on the inside. A soul black as pitch, and no heart to be spoken of but for the honeyed words that spilled from his lips to further his own gain. If only someone other than the young servant could see the icy death that lurked just behind the warmth of his lord's sunny eyes and 'warm' smile... Leonidas truly was a nightmare disguised in a dream's clothing.

Oh, but Carabis would never say that. He valued his life that much, at least. He'd just say what his lord wanted him to. Leonidas was the silver lining between dream and nightmare, and he was dragging Carabis down into the depths to drown with him.

"Well, my boy. I do believe we have debts owed us to claim, today... now, don't we?"

"Ah- of course, my lord," Carabis murmured, holding the door open for his master, "...We wouldn't want to keep them waiting."
(Oh wow okay I did not expect so many people to join for this prompt okay here we go I’ll do my best.)

@SpiderLondon
I’m not gonna lie here, after I read this I sat back and just contemplated my existence for a moment. I love the impact your poem has on the reader, and it’s definitely a very strong piece of writing.

@brokenstone
I absolutely love the comparison of dreams to mist, and the person carried along a river of sleep. The descriptions and flow is incredible, and I can almost envision a battered rowboat winding along a river.

@inn
The description in your writing is really pretty, and really the only thing I can say is that I wish it were slightly longer. I love how a lot of things feel ‘undefined’ in this, as if the narrator themselves don’t really know exactly what they’re seeing.

@Drusha
I love how real this story is. While most of the other short stories are fantasy, you took a very real setting and described it beautifully. You can tell what the main character is feeling, despite you never having written it.

@riseandshine
The pacing, the imagery, and the speed in which each scene flows into the other is absolutely astounding. Your writing draws the eye to certain scenes, and it is amazing. And the end is kind of unexpected- that just living an ordinary life is the biggest nightmare.

@PurpleHibiscus
Ah yes, another existential crisis wrapped up in writing. This almost reminds me of another story I read similar to this, but this feels alive and unique, and it makes you just sit for a while and think ‘oh jeez am I in a dream?’ Seriously, well done.

@Dragonclaw101
This reminds me a lot of the more older writing pieces. I love how you question who is a true monster, and to listen to your dreams and nightmares.

@Sky93
Yoooo, cool twist on the ending! I would’ve liked it more if you described the horses better, however. Maybe less general statements?

@demonslayr62
I personally absolutely adored this piece. Like, if you ever considered making this a book, I would absolutely buy it. The concept is great, and I love the humor of the main character.

@Moonwater
Normally I’m not a fan of longer poems, but this one is gorgeous. I love the spacing and timing, and the metaphors are absolutely beautiful. This almost feels like a song, the way it was typed.

@Artificiary
Balancing right on the edge of dreams and nightmares. I love how this is both Carabis’ dream and his nightmare, and that the lord is “dragging Carabis down into the depths to drown with him.”

Winner; @PurpleHibiscus
Follow-up; @demonslayr62

(Also I’m really sorry if some of this seems ramble-y or unfocused. I just got my blood drawn and it was more than I expected and I’m still feeling kind of woozy.)
(Oh wow okay I did not expect so many people to join for this prompt okay here we go I’ll do my best.)

@SpiderLondon
I’m not gonna lie here, after I read this I sat back and just contemplated my existence for a moment. I love the impact your poem has on the reader, and it’s definitely a very strong piece of writing.

@brokenstone
I absolutely love the comparison of dreams to mist, and the person carried along a river of sleep. The descriptions and flow is incredible, and I can almost envision a battered rowboat winding along a river.

@inn
The description in your writing is really pretty, and really the only thing I can say is that I wish it were slightly longer. I love how a lot of things feel ‘undefined’ in this, as if the narrator themselves don’t really know exactly what they’re seeing.

@Drusha
I love how real this story is. While most of the other short stories are fantasy, you took a very real setting and described it beautifully. You can tell what the main character is feeling, despite you never having written it.

@riseandshine
The pacing, the imagery, and the speed in which each scene flows into the other is absolutely astounding. Your writing draws the eye to certain scenes, and it is amazing. And the end is kind of unexpected- that just living an ordinary life is the biggest nightmare.

@PurpleHibiscus
Ah yes, another existential crisis wrapped up in writing. This almost reminds me of another story I read similar to this, but this feels alive and unique, and it makes you just sit for a while and think ‘oh jeez am I in a dream?’ Seriously, well done.

@Dragonclaw101
This reminds me a lot of the more older writing pieces. I love how you question who is a true monster, and to listen to your dreams and nightmares.

@Sky93
Yoooo, cool twist on the ending! I would’ve liked it more if you described the horses better, however. Maybe less general statements?

@demonslayr62
I personally absolutely adored this piece. Like, if you ever considered making this a book, I would absolutely buy it. The concept is great, and I love the humor of the main character.

@Moonwater
Normally I’m not a fan of longer poems, but this one is gorgeous. I love the spacing and timing, and the metaphors are absolutely beautiful. This almost feels like a song, the way it was typed.

@Artificiary
Balancing right on the edge of dreams and nightmares. I love how this is both Carabis’ dream and his nightmare, and that the lord is “dragging Carabis down into the depths to drown with him.”

Winner; @PurpleHibiscus
Follow-up; @demonslayr62

(Also I’m really sorry if some of this seems ramble-y or unfocused. I just got my blood drawn and it was more than I expected and I’m still feeling kind of woozy.)
@Astomnus
awww, thanks <3
I actually just kind of stole Laslow Giles's (name I made up on the spot. Was playing Fire Emblem Revelations at the time. *quietly baiting out fellow Fire Emblem fans*) personality from a story I've been posting to Wattpad.

And thanks for making me the runner up! Hopefully it won't come to that cause I want to see what PurpleHibiscus has in store for us ^^
@Astomnus
awww, thanks <3
I actually just kind of stole Laslow Giles's (name I made up on the spot. Was playing Fire Emblem Revelations at the time. *quietly baiting out fellow Fire Emblem fans*) personality from a story I've been posting to Wattpad.

And thanks for making me the runner up! Hopefully it won't come to that cause I want to see what PurpleHibiscus has in store for us ^^
HKrGNct.pngaeUUUJn.png
@Astomnus

You just made me happy~ Thanks for the feedback :3
@Astomnus

You just made me happy~ Thanks for the feedback :3
glad you liked it @Astomnus I wanted to have a really realistic feel to it. I wanted to capture the moment of what Lyria was feeling and what situation she found herself in. Like she really existed. I am glad I was on target for it. I wanted to go against the flow of how most short stories normally go and make a bid for realism.
glad you liked it @Astomnus I wanted to have a really realistic feel to it. I wanted to capture the moment of what Lyria was feeling and what situation she found herself in. Like she really existed. I am glad I was on target for it. I wanted to go against the flow of how most short stories normally go and make a bid for realism.
@PurpleHibiscus

It is your turn to be the judge! Please put up a prompt and a deadline in 48 hours, or your runner-up will be asked to judge.
@PurpleHibiscus

It is your turn to be the judge! Please put up a prompt and a deadline in 48 hours, or your runner-up will be asked to judge.
HJ96ihU.pngGSD8hcq.pngMm9DGm5.png
@Astromnus ah, yes, I love ending twists! Thanks for the feedback, I'll be more descriptive next time I happen to feel like writing about some more Mind Monsters.
@Astromnus ah, yes, I love ending twists! Thanks for the feedback, I'll be more descriptive next time I happen to feel like writing about some more Mind Monsters.
Heyo, I am Sky! I'm 2 hours ahead of FR time.
Click \/ to get to my wishlist.
Wishlist
1 2 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 186 187