Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | So You Think You Can Write
1 2 ... 176 177 178 179 180 ... 186 187
“This action cannot be undone.” Below the text is two buttons: OK and Cancel. I click Cancel after a moment.

I get up from the chair of my computer and walk a restless circle around my bedroom before stopping in front of the window. There’s two little sticky prints on the windowsill where I propped my elbows the last few times I’ve done this circuit. I look out through the window and note that it’s almost evening; I can't see the sunset itself, but the time is clear from how the sky faded from brilliant blue to a muted pinkish. I prop my elbows on those two prints again. The clamminess of my skin tells me I probably need a shower, but I’m too tired to really care.

I look out at the sky instead of thinking about showering or drinking water or eating. I can't decide if I'm proud I got through another day or dully horrified that there's another set to dawn in a few hours. Meanwhile, the sky paints my room in blushing, off-white light, all edges and shadows softened in the washed-out pink.

My mind, no longer distracted by staring at a computer screen, immediately takes my brief peace as a cue to rummage through old files and images again. I cringe at myself in some of them and smile softly at her in others. I see her in a rose-coloured light, I know that, and I know I should stop, but what am I supposed to do? Change what colours I see? That’s ridiculous.

I keep looking at her through my mind’s eye in that same rosy light; and I dig through those files again. I love her. Or, I loved her? It confuses me what tenses I should be using for this situation. English was never my strong suit.

My mind gets paper cuts on the files, though, especially with how fast I leaf through them. I scowl hard at something foolish I said, in one of the last interactions we had. I physically recoil from the memory, launching myself away from the window and its lovely sky. I sit down at my computer again and reopen the files in her folder: pictures of her and screenshots of messages she’d sent me over the years. I use a lot of her messages I have saved to build a fantasy, one where she had the bravery to say she loved me: an imaginary relationship spoken in heart emoticons and all-caps laughter at stupid jokes.

I find a picture of her looking at the camera, clearly caught off-guard but still smiling. I stare at it for a long time before moving to the next. This one is her face in profile, focused intently on something off-screen. The context is foggy to me, but I remember it was something or someone coming towards her that caught her attention. I don’t remember what it was. I move to the next one and it’s her laying down on a bench during lunch at school, half asleep. The first several times I looked at this photo it was cute, but now she looks like a corpse in a casket.

That’s what she is now, after all.

Oh, God. Goddamnit. What the hell am I doing? I can’t do this anymore.

I hit Ctrl+A to select all the files in the folder and hit Delete. Again, the text box: “This will delete all files in the folder ‘_____’. This action cannot be undone.”

Below it, OK and Cancel.

Uncertainty doesn’t even have the courage to nip at my fingers again as I click OK. There’s a little progress bar that glows green for a hair of a second before all 76 files in my museum to that girl are deleted. The folder is blank now, the bone white of the screen a sharp contrast to my room's soft rosy ivory.

I lean back a little, my spine and computer chair creaking in harmony, and stare at the folder’s blankness. She’s gone. I chose to forget her and move on, just like she chose to... chose to... she...

I close out the window containing her folder and open the recycle bin. Those 76 files are there. I look through them again. I press Ctrl+Z and all those files reappear in her folder.

She won't ever undo what she did. But I can’t stop undoing my own actions, in my head and in reality.

Yay ambiguous events and artistic foufou writing
“This action cannot be undone.” Below the text is two buttons: OK and Cancel. I click Cancel after a moment.

I get up from the chair of my computer and walk a restless circle around my bedroom before stopping in front of the window. There’s two little sticky prints on the windowsill where I propped my elbows the last few times I’ve done this circuit. I look out through the window and note that it’s almost evening; I can't see the sunset itself, but the time is clear from how the sky faded from brilliant blue to a muted pinkish. I prop my elbows on those two prints again. The clamminess of my skin tells me I probably need a shower, but I’m too tired to really care.

I look out at the sky instead of thinking about showering or drinking water or eating. I can't decide if I'm proud I got through another day or dully horrified that there's another set to dawn in a few hours. Meanwhile, the sky paints my room in blushing, off-white light, all edges and shadows softened in the washed-out pink.

My mind, no longer distracted by staring at a computer screen, immediately takes my brief peace as a cue to rummage through old files and images again. I cringe at myself in some of them and smile softly at her in others. I see her in a rose-coloured light, I know that, and I know I should stop, but what am I supposed to do? Change what colours I see? That’s ridiculous.

I keep looking at her through my mind’s eye in that same rosy light; and I dig through those files again. I love her. Or, I loved her? It confuses me what tenses I should be using for this situation. English was never my strong suit.

My mind gets paper cuts on the files, though, especially with how fast I leaf through them. I scowl hard at something foolish I said, in one of the last interactions we had. I physically recoil from the memory, launching myself away from the window and its lovely sky. I sit down at my computer again and reopen the files in her folder: pictures of her and screenshots of messages she’d sent me over the years. I use a lot of her messages I have saved to build a fantasy, one where she had the bravery to say she loved me: an imaginary relationship spoken in heart emoticons and all-caps laughter at stupid jokes.

I find a picture of her looking at the camera, clearly caught off-guard but still smiling. I stare at it for a long time before moving to the next. This one is her face in profile, focused intently on something off-screen. The context is foggy to me, but I remember it was something or someone coming towards her that caught her attention. I don’t remember what it was. I move to the next one and it’s her laying down on a bench during lunch at school, half asleep. The first several times I looked at this photo it was cute, but now she looks like a corpse in a casket.

That’s what she is now, after all.

Oh, God. Goddamnit. What the hell am I doing? I can’t do this anymore.

I hit Ctrl+A to select all the files in the folder and hit Delete. Again, the text box: “This will delete all files in the folder ‘_____’. This action cannot be undone.”

Below it, OK and Cancel.

Uncertainty doesn’t even have the courage to nip at my fingers again as I click OK. There’s a little progress bar that glows green for a hair of a second before all 76 files in my museum to that girl are deleted. The folder is blank now, the bone white of the screen a sharp contrast to my room's soft rosy ivory.

I lean back a little, my spine and computer chair creaking in harmony, and stare at the folder’s blankness. She’s gone. I chose to forget her and move on, just like she chose to... chose to... she...

I close out the window containing her folder and open the recycle bin. Those 76 files are there. I look through them again. I press Ctrl+Z and all those files reappear in her folder.

She won't ever undo what she did. But I can’t stop undoing my own actions, in my head and in reality.

Yay ambiguous events and artistic foufou writing
Spr_2c_016.pngSpr_2c_017.pngSpr_2c_018.png
@vibranium

In real life, there were no time machines. Even if there were, erasing the event could not erase the guilt in Anna's heart. For months, she bottled the feelings, dismissed them as just hormones. Ignored the fantasies and the flutters in her heart.

But, the world had a way of bringing your temptation to you on a silver platter, and it was impossible to say no. After yes, came the guilt. The guilt weighed heavy on her all night that when morning came, she knew she had to do the right thing.

Anna walked the school hallway to her best friend's locker. Her hands were clammy and she wiped away stray tears. Nothing about confession was easy, it required a heart of humility.

"Hey, Jenny," she said, voice almost lost through the early morning chatter of students getting ready for homeroom. "How are you?"

"Hey, Anna!" Jenny's smile is huge. She's in a good mood. Paul hasn't said anything to her, then. "I'm great. Paul's been so nice to me this morning, he brought me donuts and coffee. I heard you guys made good progress on your project last night."

It was those words that solidified Anna's choice. She swallowed the tears and the anger and took a breath. "About that." She shuffled, arms crossed over her chest, her head leaned against a locker.

"Have you been crying?" Jenny faced her, a look of confusion and concern was evident on her face in the furrowed brow and the softness in her eyes.

She nodded. "Last night, while working on the project, Paul and I kissed."

Anna would never forget how Jenny tensed. Her expression changed. She looked bewildered and angry and fought back the tears. There was no way Anna would joke about something like this, yet denial threatened to settle inside her heart. "I can't believe you, of all people, would do that to me."

And she slammed her locker, received a few looks in her direction, leaving Anna there by herself.

Despite confessing it, if Anna could go back and do it all over again, she'd kiss Paul every time. That was the danger of saying yes to temptation. Once you say yes once, it's harder to start saying no'
@vibranium

In real life, there were no time machines. Even if there were, erasing the event could not erase the guilt in Anna's heart. For months, she bottled the feelings, dismissed them as just hormones. Ignored the fantasies and the flutters in her heart.

But, the world had a way of bringing your temptation to you on a silver platter, and it was impossible to say no. After yes, came the guilt. The guilt weighed heavy on her all night that when morning came, she knew she had to do the right thing.

Anna walked the school hallway to her best friend's locker. Her hands were clammy and she wiped away stray tears. Nothing about confession was easy, it required a heart of humility.

"Hey, Jenny," she said, voice almost lost through the early morning chatter of students getting ready for homeroom. "How are you?"

"Hey, Anna!" Jenny's smile is huge. She's in a good mood. Paul hasn't said anything to her, then. "I'm great. Paul's been so nice to me this morning, he brought me donuts and coffee. I heard you guys made good progress on your project last night."

It was those words that solidified Anna's choice. She swallowed the tears and the anger and took a breath. "About that." She shuffled, arms crossed over her chest, her head leaned against a locker.

"Have you been crying?" Jenny faced her, a look of confusion and concern was evident on her face in the furrowed brow and the softness in her eyes.

She nodded. "Last night, while working on the project, Paul and I kissed."

Anna would never forget how Jenny tensed. Her expression changed. She looked bewildered and angry and fought back the tears. There was no way Anna would joke about something like this, yet denial threatened to settle inside her heart. "I can't believe you, of all people, would do that to me."

And she slammed her locker, received a few looks in her direction, leaving Anna there by herself.

Despite confessing it, if Anna could go back and do it all over again, she'd kiss Paul every time. That was the danger of saying yes to temptation. Once you say yes once, it's harder to start saying no'
dlJsEIj.png
"You aren't having regrets, are you, XXXXXX?" my mom asked hopefully. "You know you can't undo this."

"I said not to call me that. And no, I know what I want."

My mom shook her head. "You'll wish you could go back in time and stop yourself. A lot of people end up like that, and I wouldn't want that to happen to you. You're my little girl—"

"Bye, mom." I closed the Skype call before she could say anything else.

"Why did you even bother?" Caleb asked. "Like, no joke, man, she's never been on board with this."

"I don't know, I thought—I thought maybe she'd come around," I admitted.

Caleb slung an arm around my shoulders. "Hey, she's your mom. Of course you'd want her to understand who you are."

"Okay, very cute, but we have to get going," Mona reminded us, capping her eyeliner and shooing me and Caleb towards the garage.

We piled into Mona's car, which smelled like her favorite incense: Dragon's Blood, Limited Edition. She was probably the only person in the world who liked it. I'm just saying, that stuff was limited edition for a reason.

But even the smell of the world's nastiest incense couldn't distract me from my own thoughts. "I wish I didn't hear her voice in my head telling me I can't go back."

"You can slap a dress back on that fine butt if you want, to make her happy, but if you're living your life, you gotta make you happy," Caleb told me in a moment of surprising insight.

"Wow, that was actually kind of smart."

Mona grinned. "You might have a brain in there after all, football boy."

By the time we arrived at the hospital, I had almost forgotten the conversation with my mom.

"Wait!" Caleb yelled, grabbing me and Mona right before we went inside. "We have to take a selfie!"

"Caleb, why in the name of everything unholy do you have an instant camera?" Mona gasped in shock. "I'm ashamed. Are you some kind of hipster—"

"It's a big day for our favorite guy," he reminded her. "I want to capture the excitement! The anticipation!"

"Okay, okay," she conceded, as if being near a pastel pink instant camera made her tiny goth soul shrivel with disgust.

"Everyone say testosterone but pronounced like pepperoni so we're smiling and not making weird faces!"

"We are not saying that," Mona and I protested right as he snapped the picture.

He was grinning the whole time the photo developed. "Oh yeah. That's one for the scrapbook. Now let's get our boy in there!"

You know you can't undo this.

We all went inside, smiling. That was the whole point.

Caleb, several hours later: I want to see MY LITTLE BOY
Mona: here he comes
Caleb: I WANT TO SEE MY LITTLE BOY
"You aren't having regrets, are you, XXXXXX?" my mom asked hopefully. "You know you can't undo this."

"I said not to call me that. And no, I know what I want."

My mom shook her head. "You'll wish you could go back in time and stop yourself. A lot of people end up like that, and I wouldn't want that to happen to you. You're my little girl—"

"Bye, mom." I closed the Skype call before she could say anything else.

"Why did you even bother?" Caleb asked. "Like, no joke, man, she's never been on board with this."

"I don't know, I thought—I thought maybe she'd come around," I admitted.

Caleb slung an arm around my shoulders. "Hey, she's your mom. Of course you'd want her to understand who you are."

"Okay, very cute, but we have to get going," Mona reminded us, capping her eyeliner and shooing me and Caleb towards the garage.

We piled into Mona's car, which smelled like her favorite incense: Dragon's Blood, Limited Edition. She was probably the only person in the world who liked it. I'm just saying, that stuff was limited edition for a reason.

But even the smell of the world's nastiest incense couldn't distract me from my own thoughts. "I wish I didn't hear her voice in my head telling me I can't go back."

"You can slap a dress back on that fine butt if you want, to make her happy, but if you're living your life, you gotta make you happy," Caleb told me in a moment of surprising insight.

"Wow, that was actually kind of smart."

Mona grinned. "You might have a brain in there after all, football boy."

By the time we arrived at the hospital, I had almost forgotten the conversation with my mom.

"Wait!" Caleb yelled, grabbing me and Mona right before we went inside. "We have to take a selfie!"

"Caleb, why in the name of everything unholy do you have an instant camera?" Mona gasped in shock. "I'm ashamed. Are you some kind of hipster—"

"It's a big day for our favorite guy," he reminded her. "I want to capture the excitement! The anticipation!"

"Okay, okay," she conceded, as if being near a pastel pink instant camera made her tiny goth soul shrivel with disgust.

"Everyone say testosterone but pronounced like pepperoni so we're smiling and not making weird faces!"

"We are not saying that," Mona and I protested right as he snapped the picture.

He was grinning the whole time the photo developed. "Oh yeah. That's one for the scrapbook. Now let's get our boy in there!"

You know you can't undo this.

We all went inside, smiling. That was the whole point.

Caleb, several hours later: I want to see MY LITTLE BOY
Mona: here he comes
Caleb: I WANT TO SEE MY LITTLE BOY
FVLARTi.png
@DragonClaw101
Not gonna lie, my initial reaction just glancing at the entry was; “oh boy two different text styles here we go again”, but the story was actually a really good take on the prompt, and I enjoyed reading it. The concept isn’t something I completely expected, and the writing itself conveys the emotions of the MC, and their struggle with whether or not to do the deed, extremely well. Slightly dark, a bit disturbing, but a great read.

@MythicalCookie
Although it was short, the story moved quickly through its beats, and felt very put together and finished, so well done. The regret and (?) guilt of the main character over losing his loved one to death were almost immediately apparent and stayed consistent. The description of death “holding her by his side and never letting go” especially stood out to me.

@Springbok
Wow. Something about this story just struck me a certain way. It was emotional, and the ending with the clearly difficult decision to delete the files and move on from this girl...and then immediately regret it and retrieve them- ahhh. I’m not one to get super emotional, but this certainly left me thinking for a while.

@hume
I liked the general idea of the story, but it did feel a bit rushed, and Anna’s confession specifically was a bit awkward and I don’t know if it was really what you intended. The concept and “moral” I guess you could call it, are really good, and I overall enjoyed reading it.

@Adaris
Ooh, this was extremely well written. The change from the awkwardness talking to their mom, and then being relaxed and enjoying themselves with their friends, was very well done. I had fun reading this.

oops these just got shorter as I went along

And the winner is...
@Springbok !
With @MythicalCookie as the runner-up
@DragonClaw101
Not gonna lie, my initial reaction just glancing at the entry was; “oh boy two different text styles here we go again”, but the story was actually a really good take on the prompt, and I enjoyed reading it. The concept isn’t something I completely expected, and the writing itself conveys the emotions of the MC, and their struggle with whether or not to do the deed, extremely well. Slightly dark, a bit disturbing, but a great read.

@MythicalCookie
Although it was short, the story moved quickly through its beats, and felt very put together and finished, so well done. The regret and (?) guilt of the main character over losing his loved one to death were almost immediately apparent and stayed consistent. The description of death “holding her by his side and never letting go” especially stood out to me.

@Springbok
Wow. Something about this story just struck me a certain way. It was emotional, and the ending with the clearly difficult decision to delete the files and move on from this girl...and then immediately regret it and retrieve them- ahhh. I’m not one to get super emotional, but this certainly left me thinking for a while.

@hume
I liked the general idea of the story, but it did feel a bit rushed, and Anna’s confession specifically was a bit awkward and I don’t know if it was really what you intended. The concept and “moral” I guess you could call it, are really good, and I overall enjoyed reading it.

@Adaris
Ooh, this was extremely well written. The change from the awkwardness talking to their mom, and then being relaxed and enjoying themselves with their friends, was very well done. I had fun reading this.

oops these just got shorter as I went along

And the winner is...
@Springbok !
With @MythicalCookie as the runner-up
she/her
+0 FR time
lore thread
wishlist
XX
npkysNx.pngo99-d5-vibranium.pngpXJjk9P.pngo99-d2-vibranium.pnguisysIG.pngo91-d1-vibranium.pngIrIS7s8.pngo99-d1-vibranium.pngaED8285.pngo91-d2-vibranium.pngo99-d4-vibranium.pngq8YQ0Gs.pngo91-d4-vibranium.pngo91-d5-vibranium.png
Hex0gCq.png
Oh, my God! What a compliment! I did not expect to win, wow. This means a lot to me that it stuck with you. @vibranium

NEW PROMPT: I know I can't run from my problems, but nothing can stop me from trying.

Deadline is 6 Sept.

PINGLIST: @AwkwardAngel @Tacodoodle @coyearth @nemodave @Jadebird @favvn @Crazyraspberry @helforestwitch @SeaSweptDreams @Winterreise @agateflame @Rosoidela @REDandYELLOWZ @PhoenixMiko @ErinQuotefinder @Holes @Midgardian @fabro @Dragonclaw101 @MissFortune17 @Lolliipop @luckgandor @frootz @Gannet @riseandshine @WithoutBounds @Artificiary @Slayborn @demonslayr62 @Xayxayx @SpiderLondon @Lastwords @Aphelium @elainexcupcake @PurpleHibiscus @inn @Astomnus @bcrush @Saraceaser @dragonfarmer @Drusha @MisfitsLanding @elthemar @StillInvincible @FireMaster101 @Crumbleless @Oranitha @Tempestral @humanityxpeople @Chrisondra @Karika @Skyeset @PixieKnight3264 @Mypilot @SamIamLuvDov @tsugumi @Reiyn @TheElfDruid @Adaris @Synzia @Elroth @Retof @SocialBookWorm @uhhjoyce27 @Luca20 @unsolved @KnightVanguard @Lightshadow101 @changelingstar @Stoat @MusicalAnimac @StormDragon21 @lessthan3 @Draxia @quilliper @frostt @Ketsui @Restless @misericordieuse @fitz @Arithelia @SkyTreader197 @AzulineDream @KhajiitHasWares @Crysi102 @Cevanari @CloverGaming @Auraelia @MultiFandomist @melbelletrend @LapisDragon17718 @ArcticFire @Eurydise @Scorpicat10 @HuskyLove @Jennaflare @SpectralRose @Scile301 @Mochaccino @Gusted @Awe @MajesticalNoodle @LadyRandomizer @SashaFiredrake @Kumie @Alvis @highprince @Zozilla @ImagineIf @Hawktalon @PopatoPips @Shaide @Read @Stormwing27 @sane @Holi @feralchungus @Permyriad @RainingAcid @Toonetta @Sharpjay217 @Xumbre @globetrottr @GreatLordHades @Epik @BokuHiro6 @Maiafay @carddev @ChihoriAnigma @TheRunawayRaven @Incand3scent @Mukti @Greyh0und @Chicoatl @TwilightDreams @MitraSunshine @Nintendoreos @KrazKitCat @Starwindrider @ShinyDecidueye @stanlley @moontea @Spacefruit @CrimsonDragon @mischiefsabre @Elakair @Evolve @Prospit @Emberlight @Chessboard @Rainpetal @Snapshadow @dejanuation @CrystalPeacock @monochromia @BerryWing @Mediaeumbra @vimai @Littlepotato711 @GlitchedFox @xAstrophel @SpiderQueen8 @vibranium @GadzooksTD @NMidNight @Kakushigo @MythicalCookie @magxctrick @CaTYstrophe @thePurple @ofkismetandkalon @Jade93 @Frolen @Slaytheist @Zweilei @QUACK2 @Tinyparrot @LionHeart27 @CatInDisguise
Oh, my God! What a compliment! I did not expect to win, wow. This means a lot to me that it stuck with you. @vibranium

NEW PROMPT: I know I can't run from my problems, but nothing can stop me from trying.

Deadline is 6 Sept.

PINGLIST: @AwkwardAngel @Tacodoodle @coyearth @nemodave @Jadebird @favvn @Crazyraspberry @helforestwitch @SeaSweptDreams @Winterreise @agateflame @Rosoidela @REDandYELLOWZ @PhoenixMiko @ErinQuotefinder @Holes @Midgardian @fabro @Dragonclaw101 @MissFortune17 @Lolliipop @luckgandor @frootz @Gannet @riseandshine @WithoutBounds @Artificiary @Slayborn @demonslayr62 @Xayxayx @SpiderLondon @Lastwords @Aphelium @elainexcupcake @PurpleHibiscus @inn @Astomnus @bcrush @Saraceaser @dragonfarmer @Drusha @MisfitsLanding @elthemar @StillInvincible @FireMaster101 @Crumbleless @Oranitha @Tempestral @humanityxpeople @Chrisondra @Karika @Skyeset @PixieKnight3264 @Mypilot @SamIamLuvDov @tsugumi @Reiyn @TheElfDruid @Adaris @Synzia @Elroth @Retof @SocialBookWorm @uhhjoyce27 @Luca20 @unsolved @KnightVanguard @Lightshadow101 @changelingstar @Stoat @MusicalAnimac @StormDragon21 @lessthan3 @Draxia @quilliper @frostt @Ketsui @Restless @misericordieuse @fitz @Arithelia @SkyTreader197 @AzulineDream @KhajiitHasWares @Crysi102 @Cevanari @CloverGaming @Auraelia @MultiFandomist @melbelletrend @LapisDragon17718 @ArcticFire @Eurydise @Scorpicat10 @HuskyLove @Jennaflare @SpectralRose @Scile301 @Mochaccino @Gusted @Awe @MajesticalNoodle @LadyRandomizer @SashaFiredrake @Kumie @Alvis @highprince @Zozilla @ImagineIf @Hawktalon @PopatoPips @Shaide @Read @Stormwing27 @sane @Holi @feralchungus @Permyriad @RainingAcid @Toonetta @Sharpjay217 @Xumbre @globetrottr @GreatLordHades @Epik @BokuHiro6 @Maiafay @carddev @ChihoriAnigma @TheRunawayRaven @Incand3scent @Mukti @Greyh0und @Chicoatl @TwilightDreams @MitraSunshine @Nintendoreos @KrazKitCat @Starwindrider @ShinyDecidueye @stanlley @moontea @Spacefruit @CrimsonDragon @mischiefsabre @Elakair @Evolve @Prospit @Emberlight @Chessboard @Rainpetal @Snapshadow @dejanuation @CrystalPeacock @monochromia @BerryWing @Mediaeumbra @vimai @Littlepotato711 @GlitchedFox @xAstrophel @SpiderQueen8 @vibranium @GadzooksTD @NMidNight @Kakushigo @MythicalCookie @magxctrick @CaTYstrophe @thePurple @ofkismetandkalon @Jade93 @Frolen @Slaytheist @Zweilei @QUACK2 @Tinyparrot @LionHeart27 @CatInDisguise
@Springbok
Trigger Warning: Sensitive themes and death are inside this. Read at your own risk.

Edited for a grammatical mistake
Every time it happens, I try to do this. I get in the car. I start it up. I leave for some groceries, and I don’t ever plan to come back. But I always do, and I bring them gifts. A toy for my son and I buy my wife anything from expensive jewelry to that CD she’s had her eye on. But it’s been too expensive for that.

This time, her words were too harsh. This time, I will not return. I get in the car, angry beyond belief. My hand trembles as I try to turn the key in the ignition. I fail once but on the second attempt, I manage to start the car. I sit for a moment, listening to the hum of the engine. I wonder if I should be doing this. My resolve strengthens as I see my wife burst out of the house to yell some more.

“I’m heading out. I need a pack of smokes!” I lean out of the window to shout.

She screams something I can’t make out at me, but I don’t listen. I refuse to listen. She told me many things I cannot forgive her for.

“Worthless!”

“You have no spine!”

“You can’t follow through with anything, can you?”

“Fine, leave then! See if I care!”

“I will never LET you see our - MY - son again!”

I grind my teeth together at the memory. My speed etches, higher and higher. A corner is coming up. I lean into it, taking it a little too sharply. The car nearly rolls, but manages to stay up. The next corner, I am not so lucky.

With a sickening crunch, I am crushed by the metal. I can feel the spines of the car pierce my leg. I gasp, blood fills my lungs, fire all over. I can’t see anything. I want to scream, but I’ve lost my ability to.

My boy I think I want to see my boy!

And then I blackout. I wake up under sheets. I can’t open my eyes, but I can hear the beeps and buzzes of machines. I can only guess that I am in a hospital. I can hear my wife weeping in the corner.

“I love you,” she whispers “Please wake up. Please be okay”

But I am not okay. I’ll never be okay when you are around. I want to let go, I want to die, if dying means I can get away from you. But I always return. Always, no matter how painful. But maybe this time I can leave. I feel myself exhale, and I know it is my final breath.
@Springbok
Trigger Warning: Sensitive themes and death are inside this. Read at your own risk.

Edited for a grammatical mistake
Every time it happens, I try to do this. I get in the car. I start it up. I leave for some groceries, and I don’t ever plan to come back. But I always do, and I bring them gifts. A toy for my son and I buy my wife anything from expensive jewelry to that CD she’s had her eye on. But it’s been too expensive for that.

This time, her words were too harsh. This time, I will not return. I get in the car, angry beyond belief. My hand trembles as I try to turn the key in the ignition. I fail once but on the second attempt, I manage to start the car. I sit for a moment, listening to the hum of the engine. I wonder if I should be doing this. My resolve strengthens as I see my wife burst out of the house to yell some more.

“I’m heading out. I need a pack of smokes!” I lean out of the window to shout.

She screams something I can’t make out at me, but I don’t listen. I refuse to listen. She told me many things I cannot forgive her for.

“Worthless!”

“You have no spine!”

“You can’t follow through with anything, can you?”

“Fine, leave then! See if I care!”

“I will never LET you see our - MY - son again!”

I grind my teeth together at the memory. My speed etches, higher and higher. A corner is coming up. I lean into it, taking it a little too sharply. The car nearly rolls, but manages to stay up. The next corner, I am not so lucky.

With a sickening crunch, I am crushed by the metal. I can feel the spines of the car pierce my leg. I gasp, blood fills my lungs, fire all over. I can’t see anything. I want to scream, but I’ve lost my ability to.

My boy I think I want to see my boy!

And then I blackout. I wake up under sheets. I can’t open my eyes, but I can hear the beeps and buzzes of machines. I can only guess that I am in a hospital. I can hear my wife weeping in the corner.

“I love you,” she whispers “Please wake up. Please be okay”

But I am not okay. I’ll never be okay when you are around. I want to let go, I want to die, if dying means I can get away from you. But I always return. Always, no matter how painful. But maybe this time I can leave. I feel myself exhale, and I know it is my final breath.
xCQDmTE.png Big fan of RP and mafia games, also super hyped for ArtFight this year

Oh and I also used to be Dragonclaw101

Clayton Academy
@Springbok
TW: There is some pretty dark and sensitive stuff here (mostly implied but quite detailed), stay safe! Read at your own discression :)
I open my eyes groggily and take a look at the lines. Just seventeen days. It feels like it's been a lifetime. I lean forward and scratch in another tally mark into the aged plastic with the key before using it to start up the engine. I don't know where I'm going - never have - but my plan is to keep driving until I find out.

I pull out onto the highway with ease. I cruise between the lanes. When one highway ends, I drift to another. Got to keep driving. Keep on my toes. I watch countless sun rises and sunsets, I scratch countless marks into the car, I stop at countless reststops, I switch countless plates, I cross countless states, I have to keep going. Stay on the move. Keep moving. There is nothing left for me there.

I wake up. I know I will have to switch plates again soon. I scratch another line into the top of the dashboard. It is almost second-nature to me at this point. I count the lines. 31. A month. I keep driving.

Every day, every road, every car, every thought blurs into one. Time passes at a standstill. I still don't know where i'm going, but I'm sure I'll get there soon. I hear shouts. People calling my name, telling me to keep going. To be strong. I keep driving. I hear my name. I keep driving.

I prise open my eyelids. I'm not in my car. There is a white room. People talking. People surround me. People are crying. I don't understand. They say I was gone. I don't understand. They say I tried to run. I did run. They say it didn't work. They are happy, but I am sad. Confused. The room is spinning. People talk louder. people panic. I don't. This feels familiar. Everything is getting darker.
Everyone is leaving me.

No.

I'm leaving them.
For their own good.

I open my eyes. I am back where I belong. I take out the key and scratch another tally. they mean little to me now. I start up the car. I keep driving.

This time, I'm not going back.
@Springbok
TW: There is some pretty dark and sensitive stuff here (mostly implied but quite detailed), stay safe! Read at your own discression :)
I open my eyes groggily and take a look at the lines. Just seventeen days. It feels like it's been a lifetime. I lean forward and scratch in another tally mark into the aged plastic with the key before using it to start up the engine. I don't know where I'm going - never have - but my plan is to keep driving until I find out.

I pull out onto the highway with ease. I cruise between the lanes. When one highway ends, I drift to another. Got to keep driving. Keep on my toes. I watch countless sun rises and sunsets, I scratch countless marks into the car, I stop at countless reststops, I switch countless plates, I cross countless states, I have to keep going. Stay on the move. Keep moving. There is nothing left for me there.

I wake up. I know I will have to switch plates again soon. I scratch another line into the top of the dashboard. It is almost second-nature to me at this point. I count the lines. 31. A month. I keep driving.

Every day, every road, every car, every thought blurs into one. Time passes at a standstill. I still don't know where i'm going, but I'm sure I'll get there soon. I hear shouts. People calling my name, telling me to keep going. To be strong. I keep driving. I hear my name. I keep driving.

I prise open my eyelids. I'm not in my car. There is a white room. People talking. People surround me. People are crying. I don't understand. They say I was gone. I don't understand. They say I tried to run. I did run. They say it didn't work. They are happy, but I am sad. Confused. The room is spinning. People talk louder. people panic. I don't. This feels familiar. Everything is getting darker.
Everyone is leaving me.

No.

I'm leaving them.
For their own good.

I open my eyes. I am back where I belong. I take out the key and scratch another tally. they mean little to me now. I start up the car. I keep driving.

This time, I'm not going back.
y6Tz96p.pngFObX7rS.pngy6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
I'm honoured to announce @CatInDisguise as the winner; they must've picked up on my love of stream-of-consciousness writing as well as vague events and unreliable narrators. I love the implication that this behaviour is a cycle; that the narrator will continue to do this over and over, no matter what, spinning the gears of self-destruction obsessively. The raw paranoia expressed is powerful, even when the cause is undefined and implied to be completely imaginary to everyone but the narrator.

Have fun, everyone!
I'm honoured to announce @CatInDisguise as the winner; they must've picked up on my love of stream-of-consciousness writing as well as vague events and unreliable narrators. I love the implication that this behaviour is a cycle; that the narrator will continue to do this over and over, no matter what, spinning the gears of self-destruction obsessively. The raw paranoia expressed is powerful, even when the cause is undefined and implied to be completely imaginary to everyone but the narrator.

Have fun, everyone!
@springbok Holy heck, that was unexpected! I was not expecting to win lol

New Prompt: I don't even know you

Deadline is Thursday 12th September ^^

@springbok Holy heck, that was unexpected! I was not expecting to win lol

New Prompt: I don't even know you

Deadline is Thursday 12th September ^^

y6Tz96p.pngFObX7rS.pngy6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
@CatInDisguise (love your username, by the way!)

People try to make death poetic. A hooded, haunting figure, with a scythe and long, bony hands. A pale, skinny woman, smelling of blood and roses. A solitary, cynical figure, marveling at colours as it picks through the fallen. None of that is true.

Death, as much as people try to sugarcoat it, is not poetic. In fact, Death wouldn't understand a poem, even if one became an English teacher and explained itself to them in loud, slow words.

Death is, really, a machine, trundling along. They can not understand a poem. Or marvel at colours. They are not malicious or cruel, but they are not thoughtful or cynical. They simply exist, tugging at the edges of bedspreads and tapping on shoulders.

Death is a machine, a very precise machine, and it does not have much time to waste. Unfortunately, some things do not understand that.

"I don't even know you," the boy says. He is nervous and unsure, and the tubes that connect from his chest to his consciousness pulsate slower and slower each moment. Still, he holds on. It is very frustrating.

Come along, Death says. It is not a very good answer to the boy's statement, but Death is a machine, so some things must be forgiven (although the boy may not agree). They beckon with one hand, then tap with the other at their wrist, where a watch is just barely embedded. Piecemeal ductape and a crooked nail keep the watch in its metal socket.

"Mom said not to go after strangers." The boy takes a nervous step back, closer to his body. The tubes start to beat slightly faster, although Death, with their millennia of practice, is probably the only one who can tell.

Come along, Death says. Come along. The boy does not go towards Death's metal figure. Quite the opposite, in fact.

A different thing might try a different tactic. Cajoling, perhaps. Or simply snatching the boy up.

Death is a machine, however, and so these things do not occur to them (again: certain things must be forgiven. Take it up with the universe for creating a flawed system).

Come along, come along, they try, again and again, even as the boy inches backwards, closer to his body, closer to life.

The gears in their head whirr as they clench and unclench their jaw. Death looks up, their eyes swiveling towards the boy and then back down to their watch. They do this for a few moments, even as the boy's tubes grow shorter and shorter, and beat faster and faster.

Another being, more committed to its job, would go after him. Death is not another being. They do their job, yes, but they cannot commit, cannot be focused or passionate about it. Besides, the boy is not prey. (Not to Death, at least.)

They look at their watch one final time. Having made up their mind (as much as a machine has a mind to make up), Death turns around (making an awful clanking sound) and moves on, their metal feet leaving heavy imprints upon the ground.

The boy will live (for another day).
@CatInDisguise (love your username, by the way!)

People try to make death poetic. A hooded, haunting figure, with a scythe and long, bony hands. A pale, skinny woman, smelling of blood and roses. A solitary, cynical figure, marveling at colours as it picks through the fallen. None of that is true.

Death, as much as people try to sugarcoat it, is not poetic. In fact, Death wouldn't understand a poem, even if one became an English teacher and explained itself to them in loud, slow words.

Death is, really, a machine, trundling along. They can not understand a poem. Or marvel at colours. They are not malicious or cruel, but they are not thoughtful or cynical. They simply exist, tugging at the edges of bedspreads and tapping on shoulders.

Death is a machine, a very precise machine, and it does not have much time to waste. Unfortunately, some things do not understand that.

"I don't even know you," the boy says. He is nervous and unsure, and the tubes that connect from his chest to his consciousness pulsate slower and slower each moment. Still, he holds on. It is very frustrating.

Come along, Death says. It is not a very good answer to the boy's statement, but Death is a machine, so some things must be forgiven (although the boy may not agree). They beckon with one hand, then tap with the other at their wrist, where a watch is just barely embedded. Piecemeal ductape and a crooked nail keep the watch in its metal socket.

"Mom said not to go after strangers." The boy takes a nervous step back, closer to his body. The tubes start to beat slightly faster, although Death, with their millennia of practice, is probably the only one who can tell.

Come along, Death says. Come along. The boy does not go towards Death's metal figure. Quite the opposite, in fact.

A different thing might try a different tactic. Cajoling, perhaps. Or simply snatching the boy up.

Death is a machine, however, and so these things do not occur to them (again: certain things must be forgiven. Take it up with the universe for creating a flawed system).

Come along, come along, they try, again and again, even as the boy inches backwards, closer to his body, closer to life.

The gears in their head whirr as they clench and unclench their jaw. Death looks up, their eyes swiveling towards the boy and then back down to their watch. They do this for a few moments, even as the boy's tubes grow shorter and shorter, and beat faster and faster.

Another being, more committed to its job, would go after him. Death is not another being. They do their job, yes, but they cannot commit, cannot be focused or passionate about it. Besides, the boy is not prey. (Not to Death, at least.)

They look at their watch one final time. Having made up their mind (as much as a machine has a mind to make up), Death turns around (making an awful clanking sound) and moves on, their metal feet leaving heavy imprints upon the ground.

The boy will live (for another day).
1 2 ... 176 177 178 179 180 ... 186 187