Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | So You Think You Can Write
1 2 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 186 187
@Permyriad

He thought that it was a bird at first, that glimpse of feathers on the edge of his vision. He stopped, his heavy boots scuffing against the concrete as he looked upwards at the gargoyles that guarded the tower. They stared back at him, silent in stone, and he was sure that he had only imagined it. He took another step and continued walking past.

One lone feather floated down towards him on the silent currents of air. Without thought, he reached up and plucked it from its path, holding it up to the fading rays of sunlight. He had stopped walking again.

The feather was soft and white, and larger than any he had ever seen before. There was no bird that had wings large enough to support feathers of this size. Was it fake? A prop in a costume? It didn’t feel like it was. There was something so pure about it. He turned his head and looked up at the gargoyles once more, holding the feather to them as an offering.

One of them shifted, a mere shadow against the sunset as its head turned to face him. It spread its wings, catching the light and throwing it into his eyes, a flash of blinding white. He cursed and blinked, and when he looked up again, the gargoyle was gone from its eave, as if it had never been there at all.

The feather turned to ash in his grip.
@Permyriad

He thought that it was a bird at first, that glimpse of feathers on the edge of his vision. He stopped, his heavy boots scuffing against the concrete as he looked upwards at the gargoyles that guarded the tower. They stared back at him, silent in stone, and he was sure that he had only imagined it. He took another step and continued walking past.

One lone feather floated down towards him on the silent currents of air. Without thought, he reached up and plucked it from its path, holding it up to the fading rays of sunlight. He had stopped walking again.

The feather was soft and white, and larger than any he had ever seen before. There was no bird that had wings large enough to support feathers of this size. Was it fake? A prop in a costume? It didn’t feel like it was. There was something so pure about it. He turned his head and looked up at the gargoyles once more, holding the feather to them as an offering.

One of them shifted, a mere shadow against the sunset as its head turned to face him. It spread its wings, catching the light and throwing it into his eyes, a flash of blinding white. He cursed and blinked, and when he looked up again, the gargoyle was gone from its eave, as if it had never been there at all.

The feather turned to ash in his grip.
DmRdZYl.png
@Permyriad
She didn't like feathers too much, but she loved them at one point.

A gentle breeze blew by, announcing it's presence with a small pressure on the dragon's face. The dragon was lying on the long and soft grass, just to the left of a beautiful cherry tree. She could feel that the blossoms were blown onto her body, but she took no action. One might have said she was sulking if they didn't know the context. But, she was simply reflecting. Looking back on her past, remembering those she lost, and who she missed. Remembering how she longed to see her again.

She remembered the exact blue hue of her feathers. It was the finest hue, by far. She'd rather stare at it much more than she'd long to see the sky. And she was sure anyone could agree.

Another breeze blew past, the blossoms skipping onto her facial features. But, she didn't mind. A smile formed on her face, replacing that of nothing. The smile wasn't of happiness, though, as she didn't feel happy. She felt sadness. An overwhelming sea of sadness and despair. And bitter anger and pent-up needles of resentment that lined the sea, acting as foam that lined the vast body of water's echoes and hums of anger. Anger towards he who took her away.

But the smile on her face could easily fool anyone if they looked away from her eyes. That, she knew.

Her smile grew, cracking to the edges of her mouth and trembling as a blue feather came into her field of view. Silence as a salty tear raced down the side of her face. After that, they simply came pouring.

Oh, was she tired. She was tired of the chasing, of the taunting, of never being able to let the feelings out in any way other than hot tears. And they'd never understand why.

She could remember the times when they would spend time together. They'd laugh, and her lost friend would taunt her and a chase would start. After she caught up, they'd lie, and laugh about everything. They'd laugh about how wonderful their world was, and how great it was to have each other's harmony. She'd laugh about as much as she could, being mute and all.

And those high pitched chuckled and giggles echoed in her mind forever, their sounds corrupted and off-tune from years of strain and pressure, haunting her like the sounds of a guitar's string snapping, echoing inside of the guitar itself.

Before, when he took her away, she had been in so much shock she couldn't move. Even until this day, she was sure that if she had just tried a little harder, she could have saved her. She could have saved all the grief, all the pain.

But, where would she be now? Sure, she'd be happy with her, but would she have learned everything she had, met everyone she knew, or would she have led an entirely different life?

Would she be crowned the hero she was now? She highly doubted it. After all, she had fulfilled one of her life purposes that had been around since her fledgling years. It had taken a lot out of her and wounded her permanently, but it wasn't going to happen if Melody hadn't been taken away.

She could still remember the shock that fizzed into anger and hatred when she saw the feather lying on the ground. It was a trail, and when followed, it led out of a cave. Hovering in the air, next to a wolf that had a skull-like mask and was standing on the ground...was Melody.

Although she wasn't the same, and she knew it, she still tried to catch her attention. It was rather odd, though, as Melody was staring right at her.

Her eyes were seeping darkness, a black so dark that only the sunlight glinting on it could reveal a royal purple color as well. She hated it, as it resembled weeping. She could hear the wolf cackling, but that was the least of her concerns. She leaped off the ledge she was standing on...

..and in the blink of an eye, they were both gone, disappeared into thin air, with nothing but a feather left.

Suddenly, her legs felt very weak. They bent under her as she was, again, frozen in shock. It was from that moment on that she vowed she'd slay whatever beast she needed to in order to save Melody. Whether she was fighting demons, or gods, or whatever it may be, she'd do it for her.

The feather blew.

(I apologize for anything confusing! This a story about two of my OC's, so it's a little random, but I really felt inspired to write it for this! I hope you enjoyed!)

@Permyriad
She didn't like feathers too much, but she loved them at one point.

A gentle breeze blew by, announcing it's presence with a small pressure on the dragon's face. The dragon was lying on the long and soft grass, just to the left of a beautiful cherry tree. She could feel that the blossoms were blown onto her body, but she took no action. One might have said she was sulking if they didn't know the context. But, she was simply reflecting. Looking back on her past, remembering those she lost, and who she missed. Remembering how she longed to see her again.

She remembered the exact blue hue of her feathers. It was the finest hue, by far. She'd rather stare at it much more than she'd long to see the sky. And she was sure anyone could agree.

Another breeze blew past, the blossoms skipping onto her facial features. But, she didn't mind. A smile formed on her face, replacing that of nothing. The smile wasn't of happiness, though, as she didn't feel happy. She felt sadness. An overwhelming sea of sadness and despair. And bitter anger and pent-up needles of resentment that lined the sea, acting as foam that lined the vast body of water's echoes and hums of anger. Anger towards he who took her away.

But the smile on her face could easily fool anyone if they looked away from her eyes. That, she knew.

Her smile grew, cracking to the edges of her mouth and trembling as a blue feather came into her field of view. Silence as a salty tear raced down the side of her face. After that, they simply came pouring.

Oh, was she tired. She was tired of the chasing, of the taunting, of never being able to let the feelings out in any way other than hot tears. And they'd never understand why.

She could remember the times when they would spend time together. They'd laugh, and her lost friend would taunt her and a chase would start. After she caught up, they'd lie, and laugh about everything. They'd laugh about how wonderful their world was, and how great it was to have each other's harmony. She'd laugh about as much as she could, being mute and all.

And those high pitched chuckled and giggles echoed in her mind forever, their sounds corrupted and off-tune from years of strain and pressure, haunting her like the sounds of a guitar's string snapping, echoing inside of the guitar itself.

Before, when he took her away, she had been in so much shock she couldn't move. Even until this day, she was sure that if she had just tried a little harder, she could have saved her. She could have saved all the grief, all the pain.

But, where would she be now? Sure, she'd be happy with her, but would she have learned everything she had, met everyone she knew, or would she have led an entirely different life?

Would she be crowned the hero she was now? She highly doubted it. After all, she had fulfilled one of her life purposes that had been around since her fledgling years. It had taken a lot out of her and wounded her permanently, but it wasn't going to happen if Melody hadn't been taken away.

She could still remember the shock that fizzed into anger and hatred when she saw the feather lying on the ground. It was a trail, and when followed, it led out of a cave. Hovering in the air, next to a wolf that had a skull-like mask and was standing on the ground...was Melody.

Although she wasn't the same, and she knew it, she still tried to catch her attention. It was rather odd, though, as Melody was staring right at her.

Her eyes were seeping darkness, a black so dark that only the sunlight glinting on it could reveal a royal purple color as well. She hated it, as it resembled weeping. She could hear the wolf cackling, but that was the least of her concerns. She leaped off the ledge she was standing on...

..and in the blink of an eye, they were both gone, disappeared into thin air, with nothing but a feather left.

Suddenly, her legs felt very weak. They bent under her as she was, again, frozen in shock. It was from that moment on that she vowed she'd slay whatever beast she needed to in order to save Melody. Whether she was fighting demons, or gods, or whatever it may be, she'd do it for her.

The feather blew.

(I apologize for anything confusing! This a story about two of my OC's, so it's a little random, but I really felt inspired to write it for this! I hope you enjoyed!)

@Permyriad
(I don't really know what I just wrote, but here it is.)

The feathers gently floated down from the sky, covering every inch of the ground. No one really knew why it was raining feathers, or even what the feathers came from. They didn't even know when the feathers had started falling. It was a strange and unusual sight, and people came from all over the world to watch the feathers fall. As the days passed, fewer and fewer feathers fell, until eventually there was just one feather falling over and over. All over social media, there were people arguing about what the lone feather meant; some believed that extraterrestrial beings were trying to communicate with humans, while others claimed it foretold the end of the world. Whatever the actual meaning was, it remained unknown.

After a while, people stopped arguing about it. It was soon discovered that at some point during the massive argument, the feather had stopped falling and there were no more feathers to be seen. The entire event was dubbed the Feather Phenomenon and was never mentioned again.
@Permyriad
(I don't really know what I just wrote, but here it is.)

The feathers gently floated down from the sky, covering every inch of the ground. No one really knew why it was raining feathers, or even what the feathers came from. They didn't even know when the feathers had started falling. It was a strange and unusual sight, and people came from all over the world to watch the feathers fall. As the days passed, fewer and fewer feathers fell, until eventually there was just one feather falling over and over. All over social media, there were people arguing about what the lone feather meant; some believed that extraterrestrial beings were trying to communicate with humans, while others claimed it foretold the end of the world. Whatever the actual meaning was, it remained unknown.

After a while, people stopped arguing about it. It was soon discovered that at some point during the massive argument, the feather had stopped falling and there were no more feathers to be seen. The entire event was dubbed the Feather Phenomenon and was never mentioned again.
0gldo0m.png
[img]http://i.imgur.com/990etHu.png[/img] @Permyriad This is my first time participating, so enjoy!! I wrote this in one sitting, so I hope it’s alright. c: ___________ “Birds…You’re afraid of [i]birds[/i]?” “Tsch,” Liam scoffed, quickly turning away as he felt his face begin to heat up. “I knew I shouldn’t have told you.” For the first time in days, it had finally stopped raining. Though the ground was still moist and the air still smelled of rain, more people took advantage of the weather and headed out, including Liam and Morgan. She had insisted they go to the park and chill before it became stormy again. Liam reluctantly joined her, and after aimlessly walking around for an hour, the two found themselves sitting on the swings and asking what Morgan considered “bizarre” questions - despite her last question being something incredibly normal. After a moment of silence, Liam turned to look at his friend, expecting her to be making the face she always made when he said something nonsensical; however, he was greeted with something rather unexpected - a blank face with a hand covering her mouth. It would have freaked him out had he not noticed through her hand the sides of her mouth were twitching up into a smirk, clearly trying not to laugh. Liam felt his face start to heat up again, only this time it was out of anger instead of embarrassment. “D… Don’t make fun of me! I have a-!” He started to snap, but was cut off by Morgan waving her hand in front of her. “No, no! I wasn’t making fun of you I promise.” “Then why the hell were you trying so hard not to laugh?” “Well,” she started, putting her hand down. “I didn’t expect you to be scared of something so… [i]mundane[/i]. I was expecting an answer, like, dying alone or being forgotten or something.” “If figured I was gonna day that, why’d you push so hard for me to answer?” He huffed. “I ‘unno, I just wasn’t expecting birds of all animals.” “I have a good reason, y’know.” “Do you?” Morgan asked, arching a brow and turning the swing slightly to face him. “Tell.” With a sigh, Liam leaned back in the swing and looked up at the sky. He pursed his lips. “When I two, maybe three, we went to visit family upstate and decided to do a picnic by the pond in their backyard. Well, there were a couple of geese by the water and you know me, my curiosity got the best of me, and… I’m sure you can guess what happened next. I got attracted by a couple of geese. It was pretty bad. One of ‘em bit me on my left hand so hard I started to bleed. Ever since then, I’ve been… I guess just nervous to be around other birds, even if they’re small. Some sort subconscious thing telling me they’re bad, y’know?” With that, Liam sat up and turned the swing to face Morgan, only to find yet another unexpected sight - centimeters from his face was a large brown-and-black feather. “Gah!” He dug his feet into the mulch, lurching backwards and away from the feather. After realizing the feather was one that had clearly fallen off of a bird and being held by a cackling Morgan, Liam felt his face burn for the third time, now a mix of embarrassment and anger. “You b—“ “I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I had to, it was just sitting there on the ground,” she said, wiping a tear out of her eye. “I promise I was listening. That really sucks, I’m actually super sorry.” “Whatever,” He scowled, turning to face forwards. From the corner of his eye, he could see a grinning Morgan push closer towards him. “Well?” “Well what?” “Aren’t you gonna ask me?” “Ask you what?” “What my biggest fear is!” “Let me guess, dying alone or being forgotten.” “Nope.” Liam glared her way, still irked by her prank. “Then what?” “Roller coasters,” she said with a half-baked grin. “And you call [i]my[/i] fear mundane!?” Morgan cackled while Liam shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose
990etHu.png

@Permyriad

This is my first time participating, so enjoy!! I wrote this in one sitting, so I hope it’s alright. c:

“Birds…You’re afraid of birds?”

“Tsch,” Liam scoffed, quickly turning away as he felt his face begin to heat up. “I knew I shouldn’t have told you.”

For the first time in days, it had finally stopped raining. Though the ground was still moist and the air still smelled of rain, more people took advantage of the weather and headed out, including Liam and Morgan. She had insisted they go to the park and chill before it became stormy again. Liam reluctantly joined her, and after aimlessly walking around for an hour, the two found themselves sitting on the swings and asking what Morgan considered “bizarre” questions - despite her last question being something incredibly normal.

After a moment of silence, Liam turned to look at his friend, expecting her to be making the face she always made when he said something nonsensical; however, he was greeted with something rather unexpected - a blank face with a hand covering her mouth. It would have freaked him out had he not noticed through her hand the sides of her mouth were twitching up into a smirk, clearly trying not to laugh. Liam felt his face start to heat up again, only this time it was out of anger instead of embarrassment.

“D… Don’t make fun of me! I have a-!” He started to snap, but was cut off by Morgan waving her hand in front of her.

“No, no! I wasn’t making fun of you I promise.”

“Then why the hell were you trying so hard not to laugh?”

“Well,” she started, putting her hand down. “I didn’t expect you to be scared of something so… mundane. I was expecting an answer, like, dying alone or being forgotten or something.”

“If figured I was gonna day that, why’d you push so hard for me to answer?” He huffed.

“I ‘unno, I just wasn’t expecting birds of all animals.”

“I have a good reason, y’know.”

“Do you?” Morgan asked, arching a brow and turning the swing slightly to face him. “Tell.”

With a sigh, Liam leaned back in the swing and looked up at the sky. He pursed his lips. “When I two, maybe three, we went to visit family upstate and decided to do a picnic by the pond in their backyard. Well, there were a couple of geese by the water and you know me, my curiosity got the best of me, and… I’m sure you can guess what happened next. I got attracted by a couple of geese. It was pretty bad. One of ‘em bit me on my left hand so hard I started to bleed. Ever since then, I’ve been… I guess just nervous to be around other birds, even if they’re small. Some sort subconscious thing telling me they’re bad, y’know?”

With that, Liam sat up and turned the swing to face Morgan, only to find yet another unexpected sight - centimeters from his face was a large brown-and-black feather.

“Gah!” He dug his feet into the mulch, lurching backwards and away from the feather. After realizing the feather was one that had clearly fallen off of a bird and being held by a cackling Morgan, Liam felt his face burn for the third time, now a mix of embarrassment and anger. “You b—“

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I had to, it was just sitting there on the ground,” she said, wiping a tear out of her eye. “I promise I was listening. That really sucks, I’m actually super sorry.”

“Whatever,” He scowled, turning to face forwards. From the corner of his eye, he could see a grinning Morgan push closer towards him.

“Well?”

“Well what?”

“Aren’t you gonna ask me?”

“Ask you what?”

“What my biggest fear is!”

“Let me guess, dying alone or being forgotten.”

“Nope.”

Liam glared her way, still irked by her prank. “Then what?”

“Roller coasters,” she said with a half-baked grin.

“And you call my fear mundane!?”

Morgan cackled while Liam shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose
tumblr_ot0059o4wr1v8lm95o1_r1_100.png

Female | She/Her
Dragons for Sale
@Permyriad

The feather in his hand was golden and stiff. It caught the light, shimmering like it held the sun in itself. With a practiced hand, Kalis tossed it into the air where it quickly burst into soft shimmering specks and faded into nothing. Almost immediately, he felt himself grow light. Ethereal wings sprouted from his back, translucent and feathering. With a practiced kick, Kalis was in the air and soaring through the sky.

The world beneath him swirled past in a flurry of colours. He did not look, as he had no reason to, and instead let it pass by carelessly. He only slowed when a familiar light appeared in the distance, and he descended upon the cottage house with a few quick beats of his wings. When he landed, the light seemed to vanish, and the wings faded away into nothing. The golden feather seemed to materialize once more in the air, and was quickly plucked from where it hovered. Without stopping, Kalis went into the home.

“Back so soon?” A boy sat at a table in the center of the kitchen, picking over a bit of stitching. “Must have been an easy day.”

“More or less,” Kalis replied, swiftly moving past his brother, Jaerin. He pocketed the golden feather and strode over to a shelf full of books. He gently pulled out a book that seemed to shimmer as it was touched and walked back to sit at the table. “No luck in finding another one today, Jaerin.”

“That’s alright,” his brother replied, pausing in his work. “I’ve grown quite fond of this place by now. I don’t mind staying here a little longer.”

Kalis hummed in acknowledgement, quickly writing into the book. A date, a number, a short sentence. The same as every other line in the book. He waited a moment for the ink to dry before he closed the book and reshelved it, all in precisely the same place it’d been before.

A knock sounded at the door.

Kalis and Jaerin had never known company during their stay at the cottage, and so both looked at each other cautiously. From somewhere in his coat, Kalis took out a sharp dagger, deftly polished, and approached the door. He waited a moment, and then opened it.

A ragged man stood just in front of the door, looking disheveled but also oddly energized at seeing Kalis open the door. “You,” was all he said. Kalis got an incredibly bad feeling.

“Me.” The hand holding the knife was on the other side of the door, and he didn’t make a move just yet. He somehow resisted the urge to close the door. “What do you need?” he asked, forcing his voice into something resembling friendliness.

The man seemed to straighten and, despite his dirtied clothes and harried expression, seemed to resemble something almost noble for a moment. “You are a thief, a villain to the angels, and you have stolen what is mine. You seek to do it again to one of my brothers.” There was a pause before great wings flared out from behind the man. They were all bone, featherless. “You have stolen my feather. I will have it back, now.”
@Permyriad

The feather in his hand was golden and stiff. It caught the light, shimmering like it held the sun in itself. With a practiced hand, Kalis tossed it into the air where it quickly burst into soft shimmering specks and faded into nothing. Almost immediately, he felt himself grow light. Ethereal wings sprouted from his back, translucent and feathering. With a practiced kick, Kalis was in the air and soaring through the sky.

The world beneath him swirled past in a flurry of colours. He did not look, as he had no reason to, and instead let it pass by carelessly. He only slowed when a familiar light appeared in the distance, and he descended upon the cottage house with a few quick beats of his wings. When he landed, the light seemed to vanish, and the wings faded away into nothing. The golden feather seemed to materialize once more in the air, and was quickly plucked from where it hovered. Without stopping, Kalis went into the home.

“Back so soon?” A boy sat at a table in the center of the kitchen, picking over a bit of stitching. “Must have been an easy day.”

“More or less,” Kalis replied, swiftly moving past his brother, Jaerin. He pocketed the golden feather and strode over to a shelf full of books. He gently pulled out a book that seemed to shimmer as it was touched and walked back to sit at the table. “No luck in finding another one today, Jaerin.”

“That’s alright,” his brother replied, pausing in his work. “I’ve grown quite fond of this place by now. I don’t mind staying here a little longer.”

Kalis hummed in acknowledgement, quickly writing into the book. A date, a number, a short sentence. The same as every other line in the book. He waited a moment for the ink to dry before he closed the book and reshelved it, all in precisely the same place it’d been before.

A knock sounded at the door.

Kalis and Jaerin had never known company during their stay at the cottage, and so both looked at each other cautiously. From somewhere in his coat, Kalis took out a sharp dagger, deftly polished, and approached the door. He waited a moment, and then opened it.

A ragged man stood just in front of the door, looking disheveled but also oddly energized at seeing Kalis open the door. “You,” was all he said. Kalis got an incredibly bad feeling.

“Me.” The hand holding the knife was on the other side of the door, and he didn’t make a move just yet. He somehow resisted the urge to close the door. “What do you need?” he asked, forcing his voice into something resembling friendliness.

The man seemed to straighten and, despite his dirtied clothes and harried expression, seemed to resemble something almost noble for a moment. “You are a thief, a villain to the angels, and you have stolen what is mine. You seek to do it again to one of my brothers.” There was a pause before great wings flared out from behind the man. They were all bone, featherless. “You have stolen my feather. I will have it back, now.”
VvxoVdD.png iceshieldr.png
Pilot
Tumblr
Lore
|
|
|
FR +0
Wishlist
Library
Nimbus was a man of feather and bone. A king who ruled over a land of mountains and rivers, where the people of air found there home. Currently, Nimbus stood on the cliff of a spiraling green mountain, the breeze tugging at the feathers on the sides of his face. His feet rested dangerously close to the edge.

"You're a fool, Ajax," Nimbus laughed scathingly, looking out of the side of his eye at his friend. Ajax was solid and earthy, his leathery skin warm and brown. His horns shone in the light of the setting sun like a crown. Unlike Nimbus, he didn't look like he was fly away in the breeze. Ajax merely smiled in light of the insult.

"Your doubt isn't very kingly of you, old friend," he tossed back lightly, squinting his eyes against the light of the harsh sun. Nimbus let his guard slip, smiling at Ajax, a man he had loved and lost. Even now, as the world burned around them, Ajax could find a way to make Nimbus smile.

"You're going to die, Ajax," Nimbus murmured softly, his feathers pressed back against the sides of his head. "Your father isn't going to let you up and create your own kingdom. You've seen the rebellions before. You've seen them die."

Ajax sighed, clasping his hands behind his back. "At least I'll have stood up to him. That's more than most can say they ever did. My people deserve a better king than him, even if it isn't me."

The prince gave the king a look that could've meant so many things, and Nimbus didn't want to say any of them out loud.

Ajax turned so he was standing in front of Nimbus, towering over him. When they were younger, they were the same height. Many things had changed since then. Gently, Ajax removed Nimbus's eye patch, revealing the scarred wasteland beneath. Ajax didn't flinch back. "Nimbus, promise me you'll take care of my people. Promise me this, I only ask you to promise me this."

"I promise," Nimbus mouthed, as no words would force themselves out. Ajax smiled and pulled Nimbus into a hug, silhouetted by the glow of a sunset, the glow of a world on fire.

A single of Nimbus's stark white feathers floated across the shattered land, bearing a message of hope.
Nimbus was a man of feather and bone. A king who ruled over a land of mountains and rivers, where the people of air found there home. Currently, Nimbus stood on the cliff of a spiraling green mountain, the breeze tugging at the feathers on the sides of his face. His feet rested dangerously close to the edge.

"You're a fool, Ajax," Nimbus laughed scathingly, looking out of the side of his eye at his friend. Ajax was solid and earthy, his leathery skin warm and brown. His horns shone in the light of the setting sun like a crown. Unlike Nimbus, he didn't look like he was fly away in the breeze. Ajax merely smiled in light of the insult.

"Your doubt isn't very kingly of you, old friend," he tossed back lightly, squinting his eyes against the light of the harsh sun. Nimbus let his guard slip, smiling at Ajax, a man he had loved and lost. Even now, as the world burned around them, Ajax could find a way to make Nimbus smile.

"You're going to die, Ajax," Nimbus murmured softly, his feathers pressed back against the sides of his head. "Your father isn't going to let you up and create your own kingdom. You've seen the rebellions before. You've seen them die."

Ajax sighed, clasping his hands behind his back. "At least I'll have stood up to him. That's more than most can say they ever did. My people deserve a better king than him, even if it isn't me."

The prince gave the king a look that could've meant so many things, and Nimbus didn't want to say any of them out loud.

Ajax turned so he was standing in front of Nimbus, towering over him. When they were younger, they were the same height. Many things had changed since then. Gently, Ajax removed Nimbus's eye patch, revealing the scarred wasteland beneath. Ajax didn't flinch back. "Nimbus, promise me you'll take care of my people. Promise me this, I only ask you to promise me this."

"I promise," Nimbus mouthed, as no words would force themselves out. Ajax smiled and pulled Nimbus into a hug, silhouetted by the glow of a sunset, the glow of a world on fire.

A single of Nimbus's stark white feathers floated across the shattered land, bearing a message of hope.
@Permyriad
((SUPER long. Sorry. Also I'm pretty rusty so please forgive me.))
Hunched in the center of a dirt clearing, a gaunt woman’s figure waited; surrounding her was a circle of small rocks interconnected by a series of geometric patterns and runes drawn in the dirt. At the center of the circle, a small boy with a deep gash splitting the exposed skin of his stomach lay prone beneath the woman. A pool of his blood blended with the dirt beneath him, creating a black slurry whose color bespoke death and whose stench heralded the infection that spread from the festering wound in his stomach.

The woman’s skeletal hands skimmed over the collection of herbs scattered at her feet until her taloned fingers hovered over a pile of pale green leaves glinting with silvery hues under the harsh sunlight. She reached for the leaves and quickly scooped them up. The thick, wine colored robes hiding her arms shifted at the rapid movement, revealing a glimpse of the almost scaly skin that covered her emaciated figure. The hood that hid her face shifted as she looked downward to examine the gathered leaves and hoarsely pondered aloud to herself in a ragged, sickly voice,

“Hmm… Yes. The… ahem… williford could draw the poison… poison from his wound.”

She shook her head at the roughness of her own speech. There was a time once when her voice flowed smoothly and her words were eloquent. But that was before her strength had faded.

Glancing at the boy’s stomach, the woman shook her head. A black web of veins showed through his sickly skin, fanning out from the gash in his stomach. The web had nearly spread to the blood in his chest now. The williford would not be able to draw out any toxins that had moved that far from the site of the wound, assuming that the sort of magic-laced toxin within his blood could even be influenced by something as lacking in magical energy as williford.

No. Herbs just wouldn’t do in this case.

The woman continued to sit, pondering. Her taloned hands tousled the necklace that hung at her chest. The necklace was a simple piece of twine with a cluster of long feathers held together by a metal clasp. Each feather was slightly different, but just as dull as the last. Each feather was predominantly the color of oil: a deep black the color of tar with amorphous patches of iridescent brown. Beneath the oily color, specks of gold glinted on the feathers, making them appear almost like tarnished gold jewelry from afar.

The woman nodded to herself, an awkward hybrid between yes and no bobbing beneath the robe as a disappointed sigh rattled from her lungs. She knew what had to be done, and she would do it. However, the consequences would be difficult to reconcile.

Shrugging the robes from her shoulders to ready herself for what she was to do, the woman grimaced. The pain was clear in her eyes, whose irises were the same oily gold color as the feathers hanging from her neck. But, to know this woman’s pain, looking into her eyes was unnecessary. That was evident from the way her skin clung directly to her bones and how her joints were swollen and bruised. She was so frail that it seemed impossible that she wasn’t dead already.

Once her robes were off, and nothing but a sleeveless dress covered the woman’s body, it became clear that she wasn’t quite human. Where a nose would be, a worn beak protruded from her face. Scaly skin in a deep, uneven brown tone covered her body, which was completely devoid of hair. Instead of hair, she had less than twenty golden feathers ready to fall from her skin scattered along her neck, head, and arms.

She could remember what she had once looked like. Golden feathers covered her body and flowed from her arms and spine like tendrils of silk, and her eyes glinted in their sockets with the same color that graced her

Remembering what she had once been was bittersweet for her. On the one hand, those memories brought with them those of her kind: the others with beautiful metallic feathers and eyes. On the other, the memories reminded her of what she’d had before she sacrificed it all for magic.

That was the curse of her people. Each of them was blessed with affinity for magic beyond the wildest dreams of any human, but the price of that magic was great. Every feather held a piece of the magical energy that kept the metallic birds alive, and every time they used magic, the energy from a few feathers was expended. Once that energy was expended, the feather that contained it would fall out and tarnish like old metal, and another portion of their life force was lost. Unable to resist the pull of their own magical energy, the bird men drove themselves to early graves, almost without fail.

The frail bird woman trying to heal the boy was no exception and, having only a handful of feathers remaining, the cost of healing the boy that she had to reconcile before saving him, was that saving him would be to trade her life for his. That sacrifice, however, was one she was willing to make.

Healing had only called to her out of the guilt weighing on her from the harm she’d done with her magic. Late in life, as her well of magical energy dwindled and less than an eighth of her feathers remained, she’d decided to turn away from fighting with magic and towards healing with it. She’d hoped that it would make up for the misery she’d caused.

Now was a test, she was sure. Now it was clear to the dying woman that if she was willing to let the boy die so that she could live, none of her attempts to make up for her wrongdoings had meant anything. A selfless sacrifice was what she needed to be at peace, and no sacrifice could be greater than her own life.

And so the ritual began. Chants bubbled from her throat, and her hands waved in the air. The runes in the circle began to glow as she began the tug of war with the toxin in the boy’s blood. The magical energy fought her as she tried to coax it from the child. It pulled away from her as her feathers began to fall, the last of her magic draining rapidly.

The magic tying the toxin into the boy’s blood finally broke, allowing her to use the last of her magic to draw it out of his veins and weave his severed skin back together.

Her feathers fell and tarnished around her as she faded into death and made out the boy stirring.

He was alive.

Feathers fell.

Sins balanced.

Darkness descended.
@Permyriad
((SUPER long. Sorry. Also I'm pretty rusty so please forgive me.))
Hunched in the center of a dirt clearing, a gaunt woman’s figure waited; surrounding her was a circle of small rocks interconnected by a series of geometric patterns and runes drawn in the dirt. At the center of the circle, a small boy with a deep gash splitting the exposed skin of his stomach lay prone beneath the woman. A pool of his blood blended with the dirt beneath him, creating a black slurry whose color bespoke death and whose stench heralded the infection that spread from the festering wound in his stomach.

The woman’s skeletal hands skimmed over the collection of herbs scattered at her feet until her taloned fingers hovered over a pile of pale green leaves glinting with silvery hues under the harsh sunlight. She reached for the leaves and quickly scooped them up. The thick, wine colored robes hiding her arms shifted at the rapid movement, revealing a glimpse of the almost scaly skin that covered her emaciated figure. The hood that hid her face shifted as she looked downward to examine the gathered leaves and hoarsely pondered aloud to herself in a ragged, sickly voice,

“Hmm… Yes. The… ahem… williford could draw the poison… poison from his wound.”

She shook her head at the roughness of her own speech. There was a time once when her voice flowed smoothly and her words were eloquent. But that was before her strength had faded.

Glancing at the boy’s stomach, the woman shook her head. A black web of veins showed through his sickly skin, fanning out from the gash in his stomach. The web had nearly spread to the blood in his chest now. The williford would not be able to draw out any toxins that had moved that far from the site of the wound, assuming that the sort of magic-laced toxin within his blood could even be influenced by something as lacking in magical energy as williford.

No. Herbs just wouldn’t do in this case.

The woman continued to sit, pondering. Her taloned hands tousled the necklace that hung at her chest. The necklace was a simple piece of twine with a cluster of long feathers held together by a metal clasp. Each feather was slightly different, but just as dull as the last. Each feather was predominantly the color of oil: a deep black the color of tar with amorphous patches of iridescent brown. Beneath the oily color, specks of gold glinted on the feathers, making them appear almost like tarnished gold jewelry from afar.

The woman nodded to herself, an awkward hybrid between yes and no bobbing beneath the robe as a disappointed sigh rattled from her lungs. She knew what had to be done, and she would do it. However, the consequences would be difficult to reconcile.

Shrugging the robes from her shoulders to ready herself for what she was to do, the woman grimaced. The pain was clear in her eyes, whose irises were the same oily gold color as the feathers hanging from her neck. But, to know this woman’s pain, looking into her eyes was unnecessary. That was evident from the way her skin clung directly to her bones and how her joints were swollen and bruised. She was so frail that it seemed impossible that she wasn’t dead already.

Once her robes were off, and nothing but a sleeveless dress covered the woman’s body, it became clear that she wasn’t quite human. Where a nose would be, a worn beak protruded from her face. Scaly skin in a deep, uneven brown tone covered her body, which was completely devoid of hair. Instead of hair, she had less than twenty golden feathers ready to fall from her skin scattered along her neck, head, and arms.

She could remember what she had once looked like. Golden feathers covered her body and flowed from her arms and spine like tendrils of silk, and her eyes glinted in their sockets with the same color that graced her

Remembering what she had once been was bittersweet for her. On the one hand, those memories brought with them those of her kind: the others with beautiful metallic feathers and eyes. On the other, the memories reminded her of what she’d had before she sacrificed it all for magic.

That was the curse of her people. Each of them was blessed with affinity for magic beyond the wildest dreams of any human, but the price of that magic was great. Every feather held a piece of the magical energy that kept the metallic birds alive, and every time they used magic, the energy from a few feathers was expended. Once that energy was expended, the feather that contained it would fall out and tarnish like old metal, and another portion of their life force was lost. Unable to resist the pull of their own magical energy, the bird men drove themselves to early graves, almost without fail.

The frail bird woman trying to heal the boy was no exception and, having only a handful of feathers remaining, the cost of healing the boy that she had to reconcile before saving him, was that saving him would be to trade her life for his. That sacrifice, however, was one she was willing to make.

Healing had only called to her out of the guilt weighing on her from the harm she’d done with her magic. Late in life, as her well of magical energy dwindled and less than an eighth of her feathers remained, she’d decided to turn away from fighting with magic and towards healing with it. She’d hoped that it would make up for the misery she’d caused.

Now was a test, she was sure. Now it was clear to the dying woman that if she was willing to let the boy die so that she could live, none of her attempts to make up for her wrongdoings had meant anything. A selfless sacrifice was what she needed to be at peace, and no sacrifice could be greater than her own life.

And so the ritual began. Chants bubbled from her throat, and her hands waved in the air. The runes in the circle began to glow as she began the tug of war with the toxin in the boy’s blood. The magical energy fought her as she tried to coax it from the child. It pulled away from her as her feathers began to fall, the last of her magic draining rapidly.

The magic tying the toxin into the boy’s blood finally broke, allowing her to use the last of her magic to draw it out of his veins and weave his severed skin back together.

Her feathers fell and tarnished around her as she faded into death and made out the boy stirring.

He was alive.

Feathers fell.

Sins balanced.

Darkness descended.
Ulricti%20Guard%20Banner_Horizantal_zps7fecaqu9.png
@Permyriad ((I'm sort of playing around with a universe and characters and stuff, so this is just a bit of that.))

When Alessandra was little, less than ten years old, she collected items from the animals she killed as a wolf. It wasn’t a trophy case, it was more like a graveyard. A memorial.

While in human form, Alessandra stared at the feathers and the bones, she could feel their lives in it, and it brought a lot of pain.

“Daddy, I don’t like to kill birds,” she said one day, sitting on the dirt and holding the long colorful feather of the day’s kill. It wasn’t even that tasty. It left a bitter taste on her tongue that she wanted to forget, yet it made her want more, and it scared her. “Or mice, or rabbits or snakes.” She shuddered at at the thought of the texture. “They were alive.”

Her father sat down next to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder, a pained smile on his face. “I know, darling,” he replied. “I don’t like making you do it, but it’s a part of the wolf instinct to hunt, and with the war, you have to be ready.”

“This feather feels weird.” She handed it to him.

He pursed his lips as he touched it. “You can feel the bird? Its life?”

She shrugged. “Yeah.”

“You know, not many werewolves have that curse. My mother possessed it, and it passes every other generation. You have an empathy for your kills, and that can be useful, because you’re less likely to kill your kind with malicious intent.”

“Does that mean I don’t have to hunt?” She looked at him with big, pleading eyes.

He sighed and shook his head. “It means you should stop keeping tokens from your kills.” He stood up and ripped the feather in two, then left. “I’m sorry, baby.”

Alessandra watched and tears welled up in her eyes.

Sometime, shortly after this, she threw away all those feathers and bones and things, and stopped trying to feel her hunts. Started acting more like the predator she was meant to be.
@Permyriad ((I'm sort of playing around with a universe and characters and stuff, so this is just a bit of that.))

When Alessandra was little, less than ten years old, she collected items from the animals she killed as a wolf. It wasn’t a trophy case, it was more like a graveyard. A memorial.

While in human form, Alessandra stared at the feathers and the bones, she could feel their lives in it, and it brought a lot of pain.

“Daddy, I don’t like to kill birds,” she said one day, sitting on the dirt and holding the long colorful feather of the day’s kill. It wasn’t even that tasty. It left a bitter taste on her tongue that she wanted to forget, yet it made her want more, and it scared her. “Or mice, or rabbits or snakes.” She shuddered at at the thought of the texture. “They were alive.”

Her father sat down next to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder, a pained smile on his face. “I know, darling,” he replied. “I don’t like making you do it, but it’s a part of the wolf instinct to hunt, and with the war, you have to be ready.”

“This feather feels weird.” She handed it to him.

He pursed his lips as he touched it. “You can feel the bird? Its life?”

She shrugged. “Yeah.”

“You know, not many werewolves have that curse. My mother possessed it, and it passes every other generation. You have an empathy for your kills, and that can be useful, because you’re less likely to kill your kind with malicious intent.”

“Does that mean I don’t have to hunt?” She looked at him with big, pleading eyes.

He sighed and shook his head. “It means you should stop keeping tokens from your kills.” He stood up and ripped the feather in two, then left. “I’m sorry, baby.”

Alessandra watched and tears welled up in her eyes.

Sometime, shortly after this, she threw away all those feathers and bones and things, and stopped trying to feel her hunts. Started acting more like the predator she was meant to be.
dlJsEIj.png
@ everyone: I will read/judge your stories in the morning! Thank you all for submitting them!
(just claiming this post for now, will edit it tomorrow)
@ everyone: I will read/judge your stories in the morning! Thank you all for submitting them!
(just claiming this post for now, will edit it tomorrow)
Heyy, just posting here because I changed my username and, since I can’t access my computer for a week, was hoping that someone would kindly update the pinglist for me. My username used to be Toxical.

Thanks!
Heyy, just posting here because I changed my username and, since I can’t access my computer for a week, was hoping that someone would kindly update the pinglist for me. My username used to be Toxical.

Thanks!
0gldo0m.png
1 2 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 186 187